Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
struan87
Sep 8, 2004

What's your sign?

Guinness posted:

I know in my old Ford if I ran the AC all the way up til turning the car off, it would be a bit stinky the next time I turned it on. I could avoid this by turning the AC off and just having the fans blowing for about 30-60 seconds before turning the car off if I had been using the AC.
This is because mildew can build up in your A/C ducts if you leave moist air in there by running the A/C until you turn the car off. Definitely do what Guinness suggests, but it will also help to spray some Lysol in your intake (A/C intake, not engine intake!) while running the fan at full speed.

quote:

If it says run premium, you should really run premium.
This is the right answer. That engine really should be run with premium; the manual says you can use regular because the computer can adjust for it. I don't know why they'd say that though, it's not a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanonii
Jun 22, 2005

NashAsh posted:

Regarding leather care products:

I have some Lexol cleaner and conditioner and some Zymol cleaner and conditioner. I've read mixed things about Lexol on these forums but not much about Zymol at all. Which of these products should I use?

Also, how should I apply it? I've been using a sponge but I don't know it that's a good way to go about it.

I've never used Zymol, but I use the Lexol conditioner. I used to use the cleaner, but I'm too lazy to go through the process with that (use cleaner, rinse with water, dry seats). For cleaner, I use Vinylex leather cleaner. I think it is easier and works better than the Lexol cleaner. I apply the Lexol conditioner with a microfiber towel and leave it sit. I don't buff it off like the bottle recommends.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Are there any products you would recommend for getting some stains out of my car seats? Both have been there for a decent period of time. I believe one is BBQ Sauce and the other is drops of soda from a leaky cup :(

emanonii
Jun 22, 2005

Moeru posted:

Are there any products you would recommend for getting some stains out of my car seats? Both have been there for a decent period of time. I believe one is BBQ Sauce and the other is drops of soda from a leaky cup :(

Leather or cloth seats? If leather, then try the vinylex. If cloth, try blotting it with hot water. I've also used Simple Green and Resolve carpet cleaner with good results. Always test the products on an inconspicuous area first to make sure the color doesn't get ruined.

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER
May 30, 2007

by Fragmaster
Most modern automatic cars seem to give you the option of putting it into first or second gear- I'm assuming that this is for climbing steep hills? Does anyone ever use this in practice?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

paulie walnuts posted:

Most modern automatic cars seem to give you the option of putting it into first or second gear- I'm assuming that this is for climbing steep hills? Does anyone ever use this in practice?

Pretty much, ascending or descending very steep / slow hills - any time you would keep it in a gear that low on a manual.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

emanonii posted:

Leather or cloth seats? If leather, then try the vinylex. If cloth, try blotting it with hot water. I've also used Simple Green and Resolve carpet cleaner with good results. Always test the products on an inconspicuous area first to make sure the color doesn't get ruined.

It'd be cloth seats. I'll try the hot water first and see how that goes

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Pretty much, ascending or descending very steep / slow hills - any time you would keep it in a gear that low on a manual.

And towing, according to the owner's manuals.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

paulie walnuts posted:

Though this is me talking in 4x4 terms...
I like 1st for offroad descending/climbing hills; if it's snowy and icy out I much prefer 2nd.

Aamun
Jun 22, 2007
God I feel really dumb for posting this..but I'm sure it'll save me money.

I've never learned how to change my own oil, how would I go about doing this? Also, is it different for each vehicle? And if so, how would I do it on the following.

1999 Ford Windstar
2006 Ford Focus
2007 Chev Cobalt

Thanks in advance.

Edit: How much of a difference between vehicles?

struan87
Sep 8, 2004

What's your sign?
The process is the same for all vehicles:
    Buy a catch pan, a funnel, new oil, a new filter, and a crush washer
    Warm up the car a little bit (not too much or it will be too hot)
    Loosen the oil filter (do this first so the car will still be drivable if you can't get it off)
    Remove the oil drain plug, with an adequately-sized catch pan under it
    Remove the filter after the oil drains
    Lube the gasket on your new filter with clean oil and install it
    Replace the oil drain plug (with a new crush washer)
    Pour in the new oil until it reaches the right level (check with your dipstick)
    Run the engine for a few minutes
    Check the level again and add more oil if necessary
    Funnel all your old oil into the now-empty oil cans and take it to a car parts store or Jiffy Lube for recycling

The variables between cars are:
    What kind of oil and filter you need
    The oil capacity
    The location of the filter, drain plug, and dipstick
    Whether or not you need to jack the car up to reach everything
All that should be in your owner's manual.

Warning: NEVER get under a car supported by a jack. Put it on jack stands instead.

Gleisdreieck
May 6, 2007
I just bought an 1993 BMW 325 coupe and something is wrong with the transmission (?).

First gear is fine, but when I go over 4-5000 rpms in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th gear, the revs stop at some point and it doesnt go faster unless I put it in a higher gear. Sometimes it goes on and off and then the car goes like t-h-i-s.

What's going on? And how deep in trouble am I? (I'm guessing big?)

Thanks

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Aamun posted:

God I feel really dumb for posting this..but I'm sure it'll save me money.

I've never learned how to change my own oil, how would I go about doing this? Also, is it different for each vehicle? And if so, how would I do it on the following.

1999 Ford Windstar
2006 Ford Focus
2007 Chev Cobalt

Thanks in advance.

Edit: How much of a difference between vehicles?

The Windstar and Focus are normal spin ons, the Cobalt is a cannister type. I can't remember off the top of my head, but you might have to take the oil cap off then just grab and pull the plastic cover of the engine off. Now you'll see a silver cannister on the right side of the valve cover near the oil dipstick. Open that poo poo up and pull it all up together, swap out the gasket on the cannister and the oil filter. Easy.

struan87 posted:

The process is the same for all vehicles:
    Buy a catch pan, a funnel, new oil, a new filter, and a crush washer
    Warm up the car a little bit (not too much or it will be too hot)
    Loosen the oil filter (do this first so the car will still be drivable if you can't get it off)
    Remove the oil drain plug, with an adequately-sized catch pan under it
    Remove the filter after the oil drains
    Lube the gasket on your new filter with clean oil and install it
    Replace the oil drain plug (with a new crush washer)
    Pour in the new oil until it reaches the right level (check with your dipstick)
    Run the engine for a few minutes
    Check the level again and add more oil if necessary
    Funnel all your old oil into the now-empty oil cans and take it to a car parts store or Jiffy Lube for recycling
You can remove the filter while the oil is draining or before... infact it doesn't matter when you do.
You can add oil without a filter being on.
The dipstick method will not work well the way you describe it; if you check the oil before the car is started then you will end up anywhere from half a quart to 2 quarts low - depending on the filter.
Jiffy Lube doesn't take old oil.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 1, 2007

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Gleisdreieck posted:

I just bought an 1993 BMW 325 coupe and something is wrong with the transmission (?).

First gear is fine, but when I go over 4-5000 rpms in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th gear, the revs stop at some point and it doesnt go faster unless I put it in a higher gear. Sometimes it goes on and off and then the car goes like t-h-i-s.

What's going on? And how deep in trouble am I? (I'm guessing big?)

Thanks

Sounds like the revlimiter... which is weird. Can you explain it in a more detailed fashion? Is there any grinding?

The way I understand it, you put it in 1st, release the clutch, car moves. You can rev to XXXXrpms, then shift into 2nd, and it only revs to 5000rpms? Could be a misfire, a slipping clutch, lord knows what.

struan87
Sep 8, 2004

What's your sign?

BlackMK4 posted:

You can remove the filter while the oil is draining or before... infact it doesn't matter when you do.
True, but it sucks if you have to run to the store for a filter wrench and the oil's already out of the car.

quote:

The dipstick method will not work well the way you describe it; if you check the oil before the car is started then you will end up anywhere from half a quart to 2 quarts low - depending on the filter.
How do you know when to stop adding oil before you run the car to spread it all around? Do you just add a few bottles and guess?

quote:

Jiffy Lube doesn't take old oil.
They always took mine.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

if you check the oil before the car is started then you will end up anywhere from half a quart to 2 quarts low - depending on the filter.

Or if you prefill the filter :can:

I've never bothered checking the oil level until afterwards. Look up the correct amount, dump it in the engine, warm it up, shut it down, THEN check.

struan87
Sep 8, 2004

What's your sign?

IOwnCalculus posted:

Look up the correct amount, dump it in the engine
If you put in the full amount, won't you be over-full because of the small amount that didn't drain out?

...is there any that doesn't drain out?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

baptism of fiber posted:

Why is the exhaust note of the G35/350Z/FX35 so nice? Is there something special about the VQ35DE, or is there some acoustical tuning going in in the exhaust system?

Most of it is the engine, but the exhaust also has a variable volume setup. It opens up at higher revs to allow more flow.

mrmcgoogle
Sep 6, 2006

red x of death
My radiator is faulty in my '93 tercel and in the summer sometimes the car gets really close to overheating. So I blast the heat and the temp goes back down a bit but I worry that it's bad for the car. Is it or can I just keep doing this?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

IOwnCalculus posted:

Or if you prefill the filter :can:

Oh dayum :v: Yeah, I do it the way you do also.

struan87 posted:

If you put in the full amount, won't you be over-full because of the small amount that didn't drain out?

...is there any that doesn't drain out?

Yeah, some doesn't drain out... but generally it's not enough to cause overfilled... meh. When you're working with wonky numbers like 8.1Q to be full I generally just throw in an even 8, since anywhere in that full area is ok (and my truck eats oil when I beat on it, so I end up adding a quart of makeup oil :v: ). Tip: From bottom of full mark to top of full mark is one full quart.

struan87 posted:

True, but it sucks if you have to run to the store for a filter wrench and the oil's already out of the car.

They always took mine.
Oh snap :v:

Odd, around here they're not allowed to take it because they take the oil to recycling and it costs money.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 2, 2007

Ize
Aug 1, 2006

Is the Neuspeed P-Chip for an '05 GTI crappy? Are the offerings from APR and GIAC better?

edit: What I really want to know is will the P-Chip that came on my friends car eventually blow it up?

Ize fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 2, 2007

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Anoyone know where I can get an adjustment spanner for a set of Apexi N1 coilovers? Also that ships to the uk.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Has anybody done this for their Saab (http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?cPath=29_133&products_id=2716)? It doesn't look too difficult but if somebody with experience could verify this that'd be great. Also, can it be controlled using steering wheel controls/dash controls or do you have to do it on the iPod directly? I know the AudioTroll thing can do it (http://www.granite-embedded.com/products.php) but it seems to never be in stock. More info on that would be great too.

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

How much of a difference should a good oil change make?

I'm not talking Amsoil giving you sexual services by fourty thai girls, but real differences. I finally gave my recently bought 91' MR2 its first oil change since I've had it. The previous owner used the JiffyLube special according to the recipts in the glovebox. So I serviced the car with 4QTs of Mobil1 10W30 and a NAPA filter. Nothing special. Started it up, let the new oil fill the passageways and after a few moments, went on a short drive. Initially I didn't really notice much, it was just an oil change after all. Getting onto the freeway though, I noticed its initial pickup was sharper. A number of subtle things seemed different after a few highway miles; the idle was smoother and the engine doesn't seem to be as noisy.

Tell me I'm hallucinating.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

XFDRaven posted:

Tell me I'm hallucinating.
It may be smoother and quieter (maaaaybe) but you're definitely hallucinating on the power.

Question:

I've seen these on several cars, and I have no idea where to buy them and cannot apparently find the right term to find them online. Basically, it's a piece used primarily on drift cars to lock the hand brake release button, so that you can yank the hand brake and be assured it will release when you release the lever. They're typically in the form of a toggle ring on the base of the button - flip to one side, release button is depressed and parking brake engages but will not hold itself up, flip to the other, parking brake behaves normally.

What are these called, and where can I get one (for a '91 MX-5, if it matters)?

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

It didnt have more power, it just felt more "fluid." Like it isn't thinking about it anymore.

TAG BODY SPRAY
Jan 25, 2006

Krakkles posted:

It may be smoother and quieter (maaaaybe) but you're definitely hallucinating on the power.

Question:

I've seen these on several cars, and I have no idea where to buy them and cannot apparently find the right term to find them online. Basically, it's a piece used primarily on drift cars to lock the hand brake release button, so that you can yank the hand brake and be assured it will release when you release the lever. They're typically in the form of a toggle ring on the base of the button - flip to one side, release button is depressed and parking brake engages but will not hold itself up, flip to the other, parking brake behaves normally.

What are these called, and where can I get one (for a '91 MX-5, if it matters)?

There was a ricer here that used to post and I think he called it "drift brake button " or something along that venue.

http://www.driftfactory.com/dbinstall.php?osCsid=b0808a5b441bd0f27329b49d6db5

Is this something along the lines of what you are looking for?

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
What makes a half ton truck a half ton? :confused:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

AXE EFFECT posted:

There was a ricer here that used to post and I think he called it "drift brake button " or something along that venue.

http://www.driftfactory.com/dbinstall.php?osCsid=b0808a5b441bd0f27329b49d6db5

Is this something along the lines of what you are looking for?

Yes, that's it exactly. Now I just have to figure out where to buy one in the US. (I found that particular one on greenline.jp, but I'm not certain they ship to the US and I don't know how much 2472 yen is :() edit: Driftfactory has one they say works on Mazdas, and they're local to me. But they're not answering their phones :(

Mr Newsman posted:

What makes a half ton truck a half ton? :confused:
The amount of poo poo they can carry in the back ("payload").

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 4, 2007

TAG BODY SPRAY
Jan 25, 2006

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz445_5xNWI

In that video, what's the sputtering growling? Is is the muffler or cat? Or something worse? My car does the same thing and I notice a funny smell on the rear driver's side wheel after driving for a while.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

XFDRaven posted:

It didnt have more power, it just felt more "fluid." Like it isn't thinking about it anymore.

Would you say that the term "Throttle Response" is a good way to describe what you felt?

Because every time I've ever changed the oil in any car (and I'm pretty consistent about what I use) there's an immediate improvement in throttle response that is slight but tangible.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I'm having trouble starting my 1997 Saturn SC2 lately. I crank it once, nothing, but it's done that for years. The second time, it'll turn over then either immediately die or cough for a second or so before dying. The third time, starts immediately and revs up to about 2500 for a few seconds. This only happens from a cold start, if it's been running in the last half hour or so it starts immediately.

My friend thinks it's the starter, but I'm not so sure. It seems almost like a fuel issue to me, especially since when it first started it got worse as my fuel tank emptied. Now it just does it all the time. How can I more accurately diagnose this/any idea what's wrong?

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

You say agricultural or thrummy, I say totally yummy.
What exactly does the dealer do when they flush your cooling system? I recently did all my 30k interval maintenance on my '04 WRX. All I have left to do is have the fuel injection system cleaned/flushed and the cooling system flushed. Subaru says that it's vital to the engine, and for my remaining warranty.

I realize I can basically only drain my radiator with the tools that I have, so I'm wondering what it is that their magical flushing system does exactly. Same thing with the fuel injection cleaning.

I've never owned a new car before, so this is all new territory for me. :v:

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

I think i either have a bad ECT sensor or a bad theromostat in my 97 explorer. I can't seem to find the ECT. Does anyone have a 97 explorer who knows where the sensor is, and is willing to take pics to show me? I've checked 3 different service manuals and none of them give me a clear picture of reference.

Dark Solux
Dec 8, 2004

Old School Saturn God

grzydj posted:

What exactly does the dealer do when they flush your cooling system? I recently did all my 30k interval maintenance on my '04 WRX. All I have left to do is have the fuel injection system cleaned/flushed and the cooling system flushed. Subaru says that it's vital to the engine, and for my remaining warranty.

I realize I can basically only drain my radiator with the tools that I have, so I'm wondering what it is that their magical flushing system does exactly. Same thing with the fuel injection cleaning.

I've never owned a new car before, so this is all new territory for me. :v:

Well the easy way for the DIYer to do it is to drain all you can out of the system, then put a garden hose in the top of the radiator and blast the system out with water. Once you see clear water come out of the hoses (disconnect the heater core hose) then it should be flushed.

But it won't be as complete as doin it the way we do it at the dealership, which is blast coolant backwards through the thermostat (30 pounds of pressure to open the thermostat backwards) flushing the old coolant out with the new.

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

You say agricultural or thrummy, I say totally yummy.

Dark Solux posted:

Well the easy way for the DIYer to do it is to drain all you can out of the system, then put a garden hose in the top of the radiator and blast the system out with water. Once you see clear water come out of the hoses (disconnect the heater core hose) then it should be flushed.

I did that with my old Toyota's before with decent results. I guess I'll just have to buck up and pay the dealership to do this and the fuel injection cleaning thing.

Dark Solux
Dec 8, 2004

Old School Saturn God

grzydj posted:

I did that with my old Toyota's before with decent results. I guess I'll just have to buck up and pay the dealership to do this and the fuel injection cleaning thing.

Fuel injection cleaning?

Sounds like they'll pour some poo poo in your gas tank and spray carb cleaner down your intake tract.

If you're lucky they will do a treatment similar to seafoam (suck it in through a vacume hose). It is fun when we do that. Smoke ahoy!

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I have a question for any Austin goons (or maybe Texas at large): my car needs a sticker and I want to find a garage that is not staffed by assmasters. My car is slightly modified (suspension, intake exhaust - all legal, nothing crazy). Still it seems like many garages see a modified car and just start breaking balls.

Please help me find a decent one! :)

Imperialist Sugar
Jun 4, 2005
YUM.

deviant. posted:

I have a question for any Austin goons (or maybe Texas at large): my car needs a sticker and I want to find a garage that is not staffed by assmasters. My car is slightly modified (suspension, intake exhaust - all legal, nothing crazy). Still it seems like many garages see a modified car and just start breaking balls.

Please help me find a decent one! :)

Seriously if everything is legal you really have nothing to worry about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Imperialist Sugar posted:

Seriously if everything is legal you really have nothing to worry about.

Hahahahahahahaa. You've never had a modified car, have you? It doesn't matter if it's legal - some mechanics will just give you trouble anyway. It has to do with prejudice and stupidity, not legality.

• Locked thread