Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Ashcans posted:

I often wonder if Burlew puts nearly as much thought into the level/spell authenticity stuff as the people reading the comic do. I can't really imagine that he has character sheets or anything for all these various people, which would be the only way that you could really keep on top of it all.

I don't think it'd be that hard if you knew the rules well, and in most cases you wouldn't need to know much more than "These soldiers are third-level" -style generic facts. I doubt most of the people discussing this had to do any research other than looking through a webpage or two, if at all. Also, judging from this (and other) comics Burlew knows the joy that comes only from power-gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I was feelin' horny and ornery hornery
I wonder if a Neverwinter Nights module where the characters break the 4th wall and talk about the rules would be fun or just annoying.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I could never remember all the various modifiers involved on saves and whatnot. I assumed that people were doing research of some sort in their answers. I guess that I'm not really as hip to the DnD groove as I thought.

SkellingTon Loc posted:

I wonder if a Neverwinter Nights module where the characters break the 4th wall and talk about the rules would be fun or just annoying.

This sort of thing is actually pretty fun if its done properly, and not just as a gimmick for the game to rely on. I don't know if you ever played (or would remember!) the Space Quest series of games by Sierra, but the characters of the story (especially Roger Wilco) are sort of aware of their situation, and he even argues with the narrative voice on several occasions. Because its incidental and not central to the nature of the game, its just a fun little sidebar.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Andartus posted:

Cleric possibility

Alright, alright, I'm just not accustomed to giving NPCs credit for being powerful, though we know Redcloak's on the powergamer side. I use too many modules. And I can't believe I didn't think of the initiative thing, thanks for pointing that out. Excellent subtle D&D humor.

Ashcans posted:

I could never remember all the various modifiers involved on saves and whatnot. I assumed that people were doing research of some sort in their answers. I guess that I'm not really as hip to the DnD groove as I thought.

I'm here making comments about how the comic seems to not adhere to the rules but I try and avoid going so far as to consult books. It's all just a nerdy webcomic after all. I swear that even when I think I've caught an error I don't point it out with joy or malice; I'm just making discussion to pass the time like the rest of us.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I don't know if any of you guys are into roguelikes but there's a pretty cool one that adheres to the source d20 ruleset that was released into the public domain called Incursion. You can get it at http://www.incursion-roguelike.org/ . There's a relatively active thread about it in Games. I don't follow 3e et al much at all but I was pretty impressed by the feat and skill selection and how it applies to game play. They even have those reach attack rules mentioned in the strip above. It's not complete (though you can complete it) and unbalanced in some ways but I found it the most faithful translation of the rules set to computer game I've seen. I like making halfling barbarians, charismatic yet sneaky.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved
I'm not sure how many people here are reading Goblins, but if you are, check out the latest update.

There's something weird about that axe - it's going right through him with no blood at all. There's no way that's unintentional, given how much care was made to keep the blood patterns the same from the second-to-last panel. Maybe he's not dead? Maybe something really loving weird is about to happen? I really like this comic, I never know what's going to happen.

Also as far as I'm concerned this is the last post that should be spoilered on the subject, since if you do read it you should have read it by now :v:

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006
Just one spray keeps bad karma away!

ZorbaTHut posted:

I'm not sure how many people here are reading Goblins, but if you are, check out the latest update.

There's something weird about that axe - it's going right through him with no blood at all. There's no way that's unintentional, given how much care was made to keep the blood patterns the same from the second-to-last panel. Maybe he's not dead? Maybe something really loving weird is about to happen? I really like this comic, I never know what's going to happen.

Also as far as I'm concerned this is the last post that should be spoilered on the subject, since if you do read it you should have read it by now :v:

I winced when I saw the last panel. I mean, axe through head. :gonk:. But I agree, the thing's not really cutting him.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

Karma Guard posted:

I winced when I saw the last panel. I mean, axe through head. :gonk:. But I agree, the thing's not really cutting him.

I was thinking that maybe it was some kind of crazy "wtf" moment like I try to put in my games - maybe the guy wielding the axe is evil, but the axe itself is actually a force for good and won't harm a paladin. They just keep running up against neutral or evil, so he's never realized it before.

Then I remembered that it's been explicitly stated that the axe itself is evil, and the guy certainly doesn't look or act good, so yeah, I have no idea what's going on there. As far as I know even paladins don't have "become incorporeal" powers, at least not at level 2. (They are at level 2 by now, aren't they?)

Guess we'll find out next week . . . unless Thunt takes the opportunity to go back to Dies Horribly, which I'm actually guessing he will :v:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm guessing it's cutting his soul and it's more of a torture device than a real weapon. Note that the big guy didn't really use it much until that final blow, and Ears was already pretty much defeated by then.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

SkellingTon Loc posted:

They did this every now and then in the PC/Xbox The Bards Tale, where the Bard would argue with the narrator about how a wolf could drop that much loot and at various other points.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Lurdiak posted:

I'm guessing it's cutting his soul and it's more of a torture device than a real weapon. Note that the big guy didn't really use it much until that final blow, and Ears was already pretty much defeated by then.

When used previously on Senor Vorpal Kickass'o, the ax acted like a normal ax.

http://goblinscomic.com/d/20060918.html

Could a Paladin's sense evil ability give him a vision of what might happen when he meets the evil?

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY
Update
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0481.html

and lol@ Elan's inability to pass a concentrate check.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
Ooh, party separation.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful
This update draws a humongous "meh" from me. We'll have even more downtime before Roy is revived. I'm not looking forwards to the wait.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head with an iron boot?

Zoolooman posted:

This update draws a humongous "meh" from me. We'll have even more downtime before Roy is revived. I'm not looking forwards to the wait.

Yeah, but if they're seperated for long enough they can't revive Roy with anything other than a true resurrection.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
At this point I'm like "Get on with it!" This story is taking too long.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
Would they just get around to rezzing Roy already? Man.

Plus who's going to take charge of the boat crew? I doubt that Hinjo is going to stick around to help out the OOTS with all of the refugees under his care. I guess Elan would be okay to lead, but would V and Durkon listen to him? Dunno.

Haley and Belkar combo is going to be interesting.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
Well, that update certainly jives with my theory of Elan becoming the new team leader. They've got 500 strips or so to strap a headband of intellect on him, and make him respectable now.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."

greatn posted:

At this point I'm like "Get on with it!" This story is taking too long.

Bite your tongue. As soon as he's done with Azure City no new strips for at least a month.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

NutShellBill posted:

Well, that update certainly jives with my theory of Elan becoming the new team leader. They've got 500 strips or so to strap a headband of intellect on him, and make him respectable now.

500 strips? Is it known that the series ends at strip 1000?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Women's Rights? posted:

Would they just get around to rezzing Roy already? Man.

Yeah they should just have Haley and Belkar trip and have Roy land in the middle of a Lazarus pit or something I mean GEEZ HURRY UP its almost like they're in the middle of a warzone!

This strip is lookin' good, and it'll be interesting to see how the party being completely separated will play out, since I don't think its ever really happened before (for very long, anyway).

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004

ZorbaTHut posted:

500 strips? Is it known that the series ends at strip 1000?

Supposedly, yes, this IS the halfway point, or rather the end of the Azure City chapter will be, and there's only going to be approx. 1000 strips before he moves on to something else. When you think about it, the main characters are all in the level 11-15 range or so... there's only so much story left to tell.

They've also destroyed 3 out of 5 gates, albeit one happens in a prequel book, so, we might even be 3/5th of the way there, give or take an epilogue.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Women's Rights? posted:

Would they just get around to rezzing Roy already?

I'm pretty sure, despite the fact that he's my favorite character, that Roy won't be coming back.

Why you haet me so much NSB? Come back to L5R, we've kept it bumped for you

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

NutShellBill posted:

They've also destroyed 3 out of 5 gates, albeit one happens in a prequel book, so, we might even be 3/5th of the way there, give or take an epilogue.

Well, destroying all the gates doesn't end the plot, it just leaves them with a rather larger problem.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Well, destroying all the gates doesn't end the plot, it just leaves them with a rather larger problem.

Well, the way I see it going down is something like this:

1) Snarl is released; Kills Xykon and Redcloak as open actions, much to Xykon's surprise.

2) Party says oh noes.

3) Deus ex machina, because they're fighting something killed entire panthenons of gods. Perhaps Banjo? :downs:

Whether or not this gets drawn out, I can only see it lasting 20 comics, tops. The bulk of the story is the gates, the travelling to and eventually accidental destroying thereof.

I think the next 100 strips are going to be devoted to watching Elan develop as a character and as a leader, and getting everyone used to Roy not being around. And of course we'll get the obligatory, somewhat overdue strip of Roy and Miko passing by in the afterlife, Roy heading up and getting cockblocked at heaven (because of the oath), Miko getting used to neutral land; and their eventual meeting somewhere in between. Could make for interesting stuff.

Unless Rich Burlew is a goon and is reading this, in which case, expect the opposite of what I just wrote to happen, 'cuz he's like that.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

poo poo. You guys really think Elan will step up as leader? Elan's the closest I've ever come to liking the "naive/idiot comic relief" guy and that still isn't very much. I guess it'd be better than the other Greenhilt taking over Roy's place though. Erm, does the oath transfer back upon resurrection?

Random DnD second edition question:
Strength: 18/56 , What does that even mean?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

RentACop posted:

The short answer, it was a bad dream and the best thing 3rd edition got rid of.

Longer answer, in editions before 3rd, monsters didn't generally have stats and statblocks were for PCs and really important humanoid NPCs. These stats generally fell between 3 and 18 (nothing new there). Higher than that was 19+ for everything but strength.

If you were a fighter, a vampire, or an ogre, and you had 18 strength, your strength score fell somewhere between 18/01 and 18/00 (d% shorthand for 100). While 18 strength meant 18 strength, 18/01 was better than 18, but 18/02 wasn't meaningfully better than 18/01. It wasn't until you hit 18/51 that you saw improved modifiers for strength vs. 18/01. Confused? There's a chart somewhere that can clear it up, but it was a lousy system and not really worth the effort of explaining.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

RentACop posted:

In Second Edition, Humans abilities scores were capped at 18. STR 19 meant you were a monster of some kind - Trolls, Gnolls, Ghouls, ect. But, if you were STR 18, got to roll a percentile dice to find how close to STR 19 you were: STR 18/00 meant you were just BARELY weaker than a STR 19 monster. In other words, it means Strength: 18 and a half, which is stronger than 18 and a quarter, but weaker than 18 and three fourths.

DnD 2.0 was pretty silly sometimes.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Jonked posted:

In Second Edition, Humans abilities scores were capped at 18. STR 19 meant you were a monster of some kind - Trolls, Gnolls, Ghouls, ect. But, if you were STR 18, got to roll a percentile dice to find how close to STR 19 you were: STR 18/00 meant you were just BARELY weaker than a STR 19 monster. In other words, it means Strength: 18 and a half, which is stronger than 18 and a quarter, but weaker than 18 and three fourths.

DnD 2.0 was pretty silly sometimes.

It was Advanced Dungeons and Dragons and only Fighters got percentile Strength. GOD!

Edit: Monsters didn't even HAVE Attributes.

Doug Lombardi fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Aug 11, 2007

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Endrite posted:

It was Advanced Dungeons and Dragons and only Fighters got percentile Strength. GOD!

Wasn't it male fighters only?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Soonmot posted:

Wasn't it male fighters only?

In first edition, female characters got lower Strength than male characters across the board. I believe they went ahead and got rid of that rule in second edition, although I could be mistaken.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
More AD&D weirdness: For those of you who don't know, the reason Rangers get TWF is because that was an extra benny given to them in AD&D 2nd ed., for whatever reason. You didn't have to use it, but you could if you wanted. Then, of course, the Drizzt books started, and so they had to incorporate TWF into Rangers in 3.0. Why they didn't just give them fighter bonus feats, I have no idea.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Halloween Jack posted:

Why they didn't just give them fighter bonus feats, I have no idea.

So you had your choice of playing Legolas or Drizzt.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
What does TWF stand for?

Dystopian Rhetoric
Oct 18, 2006

ironically, the comedy arms race ...

Gyges posted:

What does TWF stand for?

Two weapon fighting I should imagine.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Halloween Jack posted:

Why they didn't just give them fighter bonus feats, I have no idea.

Instead of trying to fix the ranger class, I think they should just turn "Favorite Enemy" and "Animal Companion" into fighter bonus feats and then ditch the ranger class.

Or maybe ranger could become a prestige class that gives a fighter some druid abilities.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

rantmo posted:

So you had your choice of playing Legolas or Drizzt.
That's the weird thing; the ranger is based mostly on Aragorn and Legolas, neither of whom used two-weapon fighting in the books, at least not that I can remember.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."
Legolas had two long knifes he would use in close quarters.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Actually, I'm pretty sure he carried just one knife (backed up by some sources linked from his wiki article). The human rangers of Middle-Earth favoured bows, swords, and spears. Aragorn carried a sword and shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Halloween Jack posted:

That's the weird thing; the ranger is based mostly on Aragorn and Legolas, neither of whom used two-weapon fighting in the books, at least not that I can remember.

I think the original two-weapon fighting ability was to encourage people playing a ranger to stay in light armor, since they couldn't use that class ability if they were in anything lighter than studded leather.