Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Schwarzwald posted:

Instead of trying to fix the ranger class, I think they should just turn "Favorite Enemy" and "Animal Companion" into fighter bonus feats and then ditch the ranger class.

Or maybe ranger could become a prestige class that gives a fighter some druid abilities.
I've seen quite a few good rangers who make use of their class skills- I think they get Hide and Move Silently? And with track and their spells they're better than fighters if you're in a more skill-oriented campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

The short answer, it was a bad dream and the best thing 3rd edition got rid of.

(utter nonsense)

That....that doesn't make any sense . I mean, even THAC0 has a certain "First class seats are better than third class so let's stick with that, reason be damned." logic to it.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Two things, as I've kinda been out of it lately:

1. Someone said that after the Azure City storyline, the strip goes on hiatus for a month. When did we find that out, and what gives?

2. Probably related to 1, but someone else mentioned Burlew was having health problems, thus the randomness and lateness of the updates. Anyone know what's going on?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Two things, as I've kinda been out of it lately:

1. Someone said that after the Azure City storyline, the strip goes on hiatus for a month. When did we find that out, and what gives?

2. Probably related to 1, but someone else mentioned Burlew was having health problems, thus the randomness and lateness of the updates. Anyone know what's going on?

1. I would assume 7-7-07, since that's when the news post was made saying that he'd be taking the time off.

Rich Burlew posted:

For more than two years, I�ve been experiencing a medical condition that often leaves me unable to work (or even sit at the computer) for 2-3 days at a time, and the symptoms tend to come and go in clumps. I�ll be fine for a few weeks, then have a few really bad weeks where I struggle to get any work done. This is part of the reason I never can manage to create a �buffer� of strips in advance: I spend all of my working time catching up on stuff I was supposed to finish while I was sick. (No, I�m not going to tell you exactly what is wrong with me; it�s nobody�s business. Suffice to say that it is nonfatal and my significant other takes good care of me.)

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Also, the consensus is that it's Crohn's disease, since that fits all of the descriptions he's given of it.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Halloween Jack posted:

That's the weird thing; the ranger is based mostly on Aragorn and Legolas, neither of whom used two-weapon fighting in the books, at least not that I can remember.

I'm not entirely sure. Aragorn had Anduril and didn't really need an off-handed weapon, and it's been too long since I've read the trilogy to recall Legolas using anything but the bow, although I seem to recall him getting a knife from Galadriel. Aragorn really is the proto-typical Ranger if you go back far enough, I mean after all they call him a loving ranger in Fellowship. Aragorn does do a little TWF in the Fellowship film when fighting the wights but that's about it. Rangers have always had it rough combat-wise, hell even in 3.0 they got TWF at first level and that was pretty much it, you took one level and then went back to Fighter. I like the changes they made in 3.5, they really made the Ranger distinct from Fighter.

Talkie Toaster posted:

I've seen quite a few good rangers who make use of their class skills- I think they get Hide and Move Silently? And with track and their spells they're better than fighters if you're in a more skill-oriented campaign.

That's really the key and why it wouldn't work to make their features Feats for Fighters, it's the skills that separate the Rangers from the Fighters, the stealth and recon aspects in addition to the tracking and killing.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

NutShellBill posted:

I think the next 100 strips are going to be devoted to watching Elan develop as a character and as a leader, and getting everyone used to Roy not being around. And of course we'll get the obligatory, somewhat overdue strip of Roy and Miko passing by in the afterlife, Roy heading up and getting cockblocked at heaven (because of the oath), Miko getting used to neutral land; and their eventual meeting somewhere in between. Could make for interesting stuff.
But seriously though, who cares at this point. I mean we're like eight strips and two+ weeks since our last honest-to-god punchline. The destruction of the Azure City has apparently not at all limited the inhabitants ability to exist and suck the joy from the strip with a +5 brilliant energy vacuum.

I don't read generic fantasy novels off the shelf at Rite-Aid (anymore) because I honestly do not care about seeing the Guy That Nobody Ever Thought Would Amount To Anything grow into a leader who Comes Through When It Counts.

I'm deeply afraid that this is going to turn into another Shortpacked where I'm reading for the occasional Batman/Transformers joke strip but otherwise just clicking it every morning because it's already on my bookmarks.

Skeet Urchin
Jun 6, 2006

by Peatpot

NorgLyle posted:

But seriously though, who cares at this point. I mean we're like eight strips and two+ weeks since our last honest-to-god punchline. The destruction of the Azure City has apparently not at all limited the inhabitants ability to exist and suck the joy from the strip with a +5 brilliant energy vacuum.

I don't read generic fantasy novels off the shelf at Rite-Aid (anymore) because I honestly do not care about seeing the Guy That Nobody Ever Thought Would Amount To Anything grow into a leader who Comes Through When It Counts.

I'm deeply afraid that this is going to turn into another Shortpacked where I'm reading for the occasional Batman/Transformers joke strip but otherwise just clicking it every morning because it's already on my bookmarks.

i liked it when redcloak cast disintegrate on that dude and then yelled at him

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

NorgLyle posted:

Well, looking through the last eight strips, there was the one where they dwell on what undead creature Roy's going to be, the one where Belkar kills the vulture, the one where Belkar serves the monster stew, the one where Elan is ineffectually fighting the octopus, the one where the paladin rides a shark (and Durkon cuts a tentacle with a hammer), the one where Redcloak zaps Hinjo, and the one where Elan thinks Redcloak is tiny as they sail away.

But, I mean, other than that you're totally right the comic is just so serious and boring now I mean are there still jokes???

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Schwarzwald posted:

Instead of trying to fix the ranger class, I think they should just turn "Favorite Enemy" and "Animal Companion" into fighter bonus feats and then ditch the ranger class.

Or maybe ranger could become a prestige class that gives a fighter some druid abilities.
That's an awesome idea; I totally want all the tracking and scouting for my party done by a guy who gets 2+dumpstat skill points per level.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Rangers work fine now as an archer/scout- they sneak and track well enough, cause you don't make intelligence a dump stat. Two weap fighting ones get their arses kicked on a regular basis, though :(

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.
Hunter's mercy is an awesome spell, especially in a wand. Then you can grab 3 levels of scout and swift hunter and have full skirmish progression alongside your ranger levels, which is really nice with greater manyshot.

Yeah, the last few strips have been more story-heavy, but it's kind of necessary at this point, and there have still been plenty of funny panels. I'm sure he'll get back to a more jokey format after they're out of immediate mortal danger.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved
Back to Goblins for a minute:

:frogsiren: New strip is up :frogsiren:

Also, I unintentionally called it, I just didn't buy it because of the axe-is-evil thing. Which is now explained. Woo!

(If anyone really minds diverting into Goblins, let me know, but considering how rarely OOTS is being updated now the thread's gonna mostly die otherwise.)

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Oh why would anyone put a giant block of text like that in there :(

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

Kojiro posted:

Yeah, I would've rather had two or three strips explaining it in pictures, like we got with Klik and Dies . . . but considering how long we've spent on this fight scene, I can't really blame him for wanting to hurry it along.

Could've been formatted a lot better :(

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

That's an awesome idea; I totally want all the tracking and scouting for my party done by a guy who gets 2+dumpstat skill points per level.

Rangers get 6+dumpstat skill points per level in 3.5

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kojiro posted:

That would have taken like a year to show. I'm guessing the text is what the axe "told" him. Granted, that doesn't mean it couldn't have told him using pictures and all, but considering how little he updates, I'm glad he's moving along.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Kojiro posted:

Yeah, that's a little clumsy. You could've made it just as effective without the block of text, with maybe one expository balloon. He could've said something pretty easily like "You murdered her and took her axe, without knowing her axe could never hurt another paladin." Then he could've explained it later in fewer words to one of his buddies.

Still, I agree with Lurdiak.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Even if you excuse that huge block of text (which I think is as sloppy as the blog-things that Erfworld had) he should have at least picked a less obnoxious font to put it in.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Endrite posted:

Rangers get 6+dumpstat skill points per level in 3.5

Go back and reread my post and figure out what you did wrong.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

rantmo posted:

That's really the key and why it wouldn't work to make their features Feats for Fighters, it's the skills that separate the Rangers from the Fighters, the stealth and recon aspects in addition to the tracking and killing.

Fo sho. Whenever I'm making a guy who wants to do two weapons I consider a pair of Ranger levels, because any guy with Hide and Move Silently is just that much more fun than a guy without. And if you're actually staying Ranger you can't ignore those spells. Spell Compendium has a bunch of neat swift-action-cast spells that can be thought of like "special moves."

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Lurdiak posted:

That would have taken like a year to show. I'm guessing the text is what the axe "told" him. Granted, that doesn't mean it couldn't have told him using pictures and all, but considering how little he updates, I'm glad he's moving along.

Then don't tell every word of it. Insinuate some and leave the rest, the details don't matter right now. Blocks of text mid-comic will always, always be terrible.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT

Kojiro posted:

I was rolling my eyes heavily at that because the klik wall of text still bothers me, but the next pages totally redeemed it. The update that is, full page text is never ok, especially in the middle of a fight

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

Go back and reread my post and figure out what you did wrong.

Ha, whoops.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Welp, I just barreled through the whole of Goblins last night, finishing up around 3:00 AM (work three hours later! whoo!!). Some thoughts:

It was genuinely better than I expected, though there were some really clumsy overused D&D jokes to kick it off. By the end, though, I never expected I'd actually care about what happens to five stupid goblins.

That wall of text in the latest is totally inexcusable, but that was a pretty badass moment there, too, and now I can't wait to see what happens.

I really liked the long fight scenes, but I have a feeling plowing through the archives is a much better experience than waiting around for weeks just to go "Oh, the goblins are still kicking rear end. Hooray, we get it."

When does it update? Sporadically?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
It updates once every weekend.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I tried to follow Goblins and I liked it for a little while. The thing that killed it for me is that the author has absolutely no sense of timing or pacing.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
What I can't stand is that the big block of text is a myth that seems so... bland. I don't mind reading. But I do mind boring, stupid, cliche, "Tell, not show" writing.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The goblins look grotesque, like aliens which is really off-putting. Especially when the violent things are happening. Still, I guess I like the idea I just can't read through the archives yet till I get broadband again.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

It was genuinely better than I expected, though there were some really clumsy overused D&D jokes to kick it off. By the end, though, I never expected I'd actually care about what happens to five stupid goblins.

That wall of text in the latest is totally inexcusable, but that was a pretty badass moment there, too, and now I can't wait to see what happens.

I really liked the long fight scenes, but I have a feeling plowing through the archives is a much better experience than waiting around for weeks just to go "Oh, the goblins are still kicking rear end. Hooray, we get it."

When does it update? Sporadically?

I agree with basically everything you said there. I really love the comic overall, but man, the fight scenes can take so long . . . even though, when you go back and read them later, they're so cool.

I kind of think he should post one page per week when doing non-fight-scenes, and use the time to build up a buffer so he can post two or three pages per week in a fight scene.

It updates every week "on Saturday", very regularly now. He used to frequently miss posts but he seems to have realized that posting a single page every week is a lot better than posting three pages apparently-randomly. It's frequently a few days late, however.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Talkie Toaster posted:

Haha, yeah, we play on Athas, and you wouldn't believe how useful Knowledge[Geography] is. All my skills practically provide synergy to all my other skills, too..

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Just bought start of darkness and on the origin of pc's in anticipation of his month long break. Wich is hilarious because I just know that by living in Sweden I won't get it untill he's already done with his break :( US postal service sucks.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0482.html

:siren:New strip is up :siren:

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
Did he mess up the speech bubbles in Panel 4?

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
Just in case it goes down again:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Women's Rights? posted:

Did he mess up the speech bubbles in Panel 4?

It looks like it. Hinjo should be the one saying *sigh*

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It's fixed in the actual comic now.

Biggest despair eyes ever!

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Am I the only one who hears Papa Smurf when Durkan talks?

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.

Vicissitude posted:

Am I the only one who hears Papa Smurf when Durkan talks?

Not anymore you bastard :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eckertmania
May 11, 2007

"'Hey, a computer took your place, daddy.' That's hard times! That's hard times!"
drat it! Now it's all I hear, too!

Before he sounded like a drunk Master Splinter.