Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glint
Nov 15, 2004

Dear god, The patient's best intentions have sadly faltered.
gah the perlscript crapped out in much the same way as your program, I've found another page with stuff to try though. failing that I'm going to beg Mark Russinovich to make a cool util.

/edit
that page had a link to http://www.replsoft.com/cutlongnames.html AMAZING thig works exactly like I needed shame the keywords in the webpage suck so much it doesn't come up in many searches.

glint fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Aug 2, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tjsteadicam
Jul 11, 2006
I have a fun one thats a little larger than normal if someone wants to tackle it. I just bought a blackberry, and was browsing the internet for a DOF (Depth of Field) Calculator for it. I found out that there really isn't one for the blackberry OS, but there are a ton for palm os, windows mobile, and mac osx.

Here's a few samples:
http://www.dofmaster.com/custom3.html
http://www.tuaw.com/2005/11/02/widget-watch-depth-of-field-calculator/
http://www.olympus-europa.com/consumer/dslr_7246.htm

I would love to get one of these apps redesigned to work for the blackberry mobile OS, but to remain clean and easy to use. My favorite one (with the most features of course) is the "DOF Master" for palm os.

If someone wants to make a full conversion of the DOF Master to blackberry os i would be more than willing to pay them for their time since i know its a bit more than a simple appz. Drop me a line if you're interested.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8
I would die for a Windows app that can somehow identify which of the several external monitors I have connected to my notebook and will apply a stored position to it that you set from Windows' Display settings. Something lightweight and discreet (tray menu) would be great.

edit: http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1186123551 VVV Didn't know about the site, thanks.

crab avatar fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Aug 3, 2007

Super Delegate
Jan 20, 2005

ƃɐlɟ ǝɥʇ
A program that initiates a .bat file when opened, unless the bat file was run in the past X minutes.

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1186117977

Battle Bott
May 6, 2007

What I would love is a webcomic trawler. You define an entry point (http://cad-comic.com/archives.php) and it will go a specified depth (such as 3 links deep) and then order the images according to something (date, position, order gotten) and save them.
Preferably in python, if not then C++, if not then in anything.
This would allow you to build a directory of all the comics.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

dough_boy posted:

I need an app that I can specify a folder and it will create a .txt with the folder structure and list all the files inside of it and so the same for folders within that folder.

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/DirTree

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I posted this waaaaay back in the thread, but I'm going to make an official request out of it:

I'm looking for a small program to do nothing but copy items from my public calendar(that I have full permissions to) in Exchange to my local calendar in Outlook 2003. I have looked everywhere for something like this, and it just doesn't exist.

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1186153450

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Dicky B posted:

I'd like a program that removes all the parts of a WAV file that are below a given volume and stitches it back together again.

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1185975080
As a temporary solution you should try GTune http://www.gvst.co.uk/gtune.htm

While that program meets all the requirements, it isn't a solution because it isn't a stand-alone program and I can't afford to buy Cubase or something to use a VST plugin.

Thanks for the suggestion though- that is really close.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Maggot Man posted:

While that program meets all the requirements, it isn't a solution because it isn't a stand-alone program and I can't afford to buy Cubase or something to use a VST plugin.

Thanks for the suggestion though- that is really close.
There are plenty of free VST hosts. I recommend MiniHost.

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001
I'd like to request a command-line accessible app that will install (or uninstall) a MS Access mdb file as an ODBC data source for XP and Server 2003.

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!
I could really use a small app that would simply turn off my computer monitor with a single keystroke of my choosing.

http://factormystic.net/turn%20off%20monitor.exe

This program does exactly what I need, but I'd like to have the option to specify what keystroke(s) actually turns off the monitor.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Treytor posted:

I could really use a small app that would simply turn off my computer monitor with a single keystroke of my choosing.

http://factormystic.net/turn%20off%20monitor.exe

This program does exactly what I need, but I'd like to have the option to specify what keystroke(s) actually turns off the monitor.

Make a shortcut to the program, right click it, go to Properties, and set a Shortcut Key for it?

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!
Duh... I didn't even think of that, it actually works! Launching the program doesn't turn off the monitor, but hitting the shortcut key, in my case num pad DEL, and the enter right next to it turns off the monitor. Thanks :)

Revelations
Nov 17, 2004

heh, that's me. i'm wilson.

Feral Integral posted:

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/DirTree

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/ReadDrive

This also satisfies the requirements I believe. One user wanted the current username added to the file descriptions, is that an option anyone still wants?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I dont know if anyone here writes apps for Windows Mobile, but I'll give it a shot.

What I want is a program that can run in the background and ping a specified server every X minutes. I have IRC and AIM clients running constantly on my phone, and if they dont see any activity after however many minutes, then my GPRS connection closes, and AIM and IRC poo poo the bed.

Of course, programs like this exist for Windows Mobile, but in the grand PDA tradition, every little tiny piece of software released is at least $30, and comes with a 3 second trial.

Soo, if anyone could whip something up with a couple of entries to put servers in and a field to ping those servers every X minutes, I would love you forever and ever!!

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

Phat_Albert posted:

I dont know if anyone here writes apps for Windows Mobile, but I'll give it a shot.

What I want is a program that can run in the background and ping a specified server every X minutes. I have IRC and AIM clients running constantly on my phone, and if they dont see any activity after however many minutes, then my GPRS connection closes, and AIM and IRC poo poo the bed.

Of course, programs like this exist for Windows Mobile, but in the grand PDA tradition, every little tiny piece of software released is at least $30, and comes with a 3 second trial.

Soo, if anyone could whip something up with a couple of entries to put servers in and a field to ping those servers every X minutes, I would love you forever and ever!!

I write Windows Mobile apps (just released zoomVNC), and what you're describing could be quite simple - although, I don't know how you're having that problem. My devices have kept connections alive until either a call comes in (even on 3G phones, where call and data can be simultaneous, Windows Mobile tends to freak out and start randomly dropping the data connection/crashing/freezing up until the caller hangs up then telling you you missed a call that you tried to answer) or the connection drops due to bad signal/etc. There's also a registry key you can set that causes them to attempt and keep the data connection up constantly, but that hurts battery life. Could it be your phone is actually powering down? If you don't use one for 2 or 3 minutes, the PDA part will totally power down to save battery life. The GPRS won't go away but connections will time out as the system is no longer able to ping them/etc. If that's the problem, it'd be trickier as it means waking the phone up to send the ping, which I imagine would at least half the battery life of the phone...

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
You may have looked already, but does the IRC client on your Windows Mobile device not have a "ping the server every X minutes" option?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GazChap posted:

You may have looked already, but does the IRC client on your Windows Mobile device not have a "ping the server every X minutes" option?

It does not, sadly.

Charles Ford posted:

I write Windows Mobile apps (just released zoomVNC), and what you're describing could be quite simple - although, I don't know how you're having that problem. My devices have kept connections alive until either a call comes in (even on 3G phones, where call and data can be simultaneous, Windows Mobile tends to freak out and start randomly dropping the data connection/crashing/freezing up until the caller hangs up then telling you you missed a call that you tried to answer) or the connection drops due to bad signal/etc. There's also a registry key you can set that causes them to attempt and keep the data connection up constantly, but that hurts battery life. Could it be your phone is actually powering down? If you don't use one for 2 or 3 minutes, the PDA part will totally power down to save battery life. The GPRS won't go away but connections will time out as the system is no longer able to ping them/etc. If that's the problem, it'd be trickier as it means waking the phone up to send the ping, which I imagine would at least half the battery life of the phone...

The strange thing is, if I hit the power button on my phone to put it into "standby", I still get IM's and IRC just fine, just like I still get TXT messages and calls when its in standby. Its just after it sits for a while in standby that IM and IRC take a crap. On my phone (Cingular 8125), all programs still run on standby. Standby basically just shuts the screen off. For example, if I am listening to MP3's, or using my GPS software, I can hit the power button, and the MP3 will still keep playing, and the GPS will still keep GPS-ing.

My only other option besides standby is to physically power the phone off, which obviously kills everything.

I think a pinging keepalive program would solve my issue. Especially since software already exists to do it, it must be an issue. To be honest, I think its on the Cingular side, they drop the connection after X minutes with no data.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

I've been using a tiny goon-made application that somebody posted in SHSC years ago named UnzipDL. Unfortunately my hard drive failed yesterday so I've lost it and I can't remember said goon's username.

Basically it's a single executable and an ini file which contains a location, for example 'C:\Unzipped'. Then you download a zip with Firefox and tell it to open it with UnzipDL and check the "do this automatically for file like this form now on" checkbox

After that, every time you click on a link to a zip file Firefox automatically downloads it and the contents of the file are immediately extracted to the location you set in the ini file into a folder with the same name as the zip file.
For example if the unzip location is 'C:\Unzipped' and you download the file 'abc.zip' then the contents of the zip file are extracted to 'C:\Unzipped\abc'

The program has absolutely no UI except for a small "unzipping" notification that appears in the center of the screen. As soon as it finishes extracting the zip the program exits.

Anybody feel like making this? Or if the original creator is reading this, can you post it again? I'm pretty much dependent on it now :(

increased
Feb 20, 2001
Thanks!

increased fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 17, 2007

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

Phat_Albert posted:

The strange thing is, if I hit the power button on my phone to put it into "standby", I still get IM's and IRC just fine, just like I still get TXT messages and calls when its in standby. Its just after it sits for a while in standby that IM and IRC take a crap. On my phone (Cingular 8125), all programs still run on standby. Standby basically just shuts the screen off. For example, if I am listening to MP3's, or using my GPS software, I can hit the power button, and the MP3 will still keep playing, and the GPS will still keep GPS-ing.

My only other option besides standby is to physically power the phone off, which obviously kills everything.

I think a pinging keepalive program would solve my issue. Especially since software already exists to do it, it must be an issue. To be honest, I think its on the Cingular side, they drop the connection after X minutes with no data.

If it's only been on standby a short time, TCP/IP (or just "The Internet") won't have noticed that your clients aren't responding any more yet, so when they come out of standby they won't actually notice they've been powered down. Leave it a bit longer, the connection times out and you've lost the connection, but nothing has actually changed at your end (the phone is still going in/out of standby).

For SMS and incoming calls, these are received by the modem (a separate computer in the PDA, basically), which wakes up the main CPU the same way you pressing the power button would, and telling it to tell you something has happened. The GPS probably runs while the CPU is asleep, so when it wakes up your location is still "current".

The only exception is playing MP3s. In a normal PocketPC, Windows Media Player (or whatever) is able to keep the main CPU running while the screen is pretending the device is on standby. I think this is what you really need, I can guess how to do it but I'll need to look into it. Ideally you'd only want this to happen if your IM/etc. apps are running, to save battery.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.
I would really like a little application (PHP, Python, whatever) that checks a list of websites at certain intervals (daily, for me), and indicates which ones have been updated and which have not since the last check.

I'm thinking about the output as a table with the URL of each site in one column, and then some kind of checkmark for the sites where today's hash of the source code (or some other way to determine if the website has changed) is different than the one yesterday. That way you can instantly see what's changed and what's not.

The list of websites could just be added in the source code, or there could be a way to add them through some UI, or command line. Either way is fine with me.

If anyone is up to the task, thanks.

Here is my request on Tinyappz.com.

Edit: |canceled = I found a commercial program that does exactly this, and much more. Don't need this any more, but if someone wants to try it anyway then go nuts.

Zedlic fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 13, 2007

kaniff
Feb 27, 2004

oh word?

Zedlic posted:

I would really like a little application (PHP, Python, whatever) that checks a list of websites at certain intervals (daily, for me), and indicates which ones have been updated and which have not since the last check.

I'm thinking about the output as a table with the URL of each site in one column, and then some kind of checkmark for the sites where today's hash of the source code (or some other way to determine if the website has changed) is different than the one yesterday. That way you can instantly see what's changed and what's not.

The list of websites could just be added in the source code, or there could be a way to add them through some UI, or command line. Either way is fine with me.

If anyone is up to the task, thanks.

Here is my request on Tinyappz.com.

Most websites support RSS feeds nowadays? Did you have a particular goal in mind that RSS wouldn't suit?

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.

kaniff posted:

Most websites support RSS feeds nowadays? Did you have a particular goal in mind that RSS wouldn't suit?

The websites I'm looking to keep updated on mostly don't, but I actually found a program that makes this request obsolete. It does almost exactly what says in the description, and a whole lot more. It's called Right Web Monitor. I'll just remove the request.

mister_gosh
May 24, 2002

I need a program that I can drop in C:\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]\Start Menu\Programs\Startup (or an official service, but "Startup" would work).

This program would preferably be a script (not something that needs to be compiled, unless its an official service).

This script would run a program and if that program ever stops or returns a bad return code, it would email me and restart the program.

Someone (Kaluelehs) kindly gave me a vbs script awhile ago that did something very similiar. It would monitor a process and if it hung, it would email. So perhaps this vbs could be tweaked?

code:
' Set these Variables

strProcessKill = "'SOMEPROGRAME.exe'" 
strcomputer = "."
EmailFrom = "mister_gosh@123FakeStreet.com"
EmailTo = "mister_gosh@123FakeStreet.com"
EmailSubject = "test"
EmailTextBody = "test"
EmailSMTP = "mail.123FakeStreet.com"
maxDelay = 60
NumberofChecks = 100

'Variable section done

I = 0

PID = 0

do while I <> NumberofChecks
'I=I+1
Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" 
                                                   & strComputer & "\root\cimv2") 

Set colProcess = objWMIService.ExecQuery ("Select * from Win32_Process Where Name = 
                                                                " & strProcessKill )
For Each objProcess in colProcess
ccsleep 1 
CT = now
set objDT = CreateObject("Wbemscripting.swbemdatetime")
objdt.value = objprocess.creationdate
Bt = objdt.getvardate
Duration = datediff("s", bt, ct)
if Duration > MaxDelay then
objProcess.Terminate()
Set objEmail = CreateObject("CDO.Message") 
objEmail.From = EmailFrom
objEmail.To = Emailto
objEmail.Subject = EmailSubject
objEmail.Textbody = EmailTextBody
objEmail.Configuration.Fields.Item ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/
                                                                     sendusing") = 2
objEmail.Configuration.Fields.Item ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/
                                                            smtpserver") = EmailSMTP 
                                                               smtpserverport") = 25
objEmail.Configuration.Fields.Update
objEmail.Send
end if 

Next 
loop

Sub ccSleep(seconds)
set oShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
cmd = "%COMSPEC% /c ping -n " & 1 + seconds & " 127.0.0.1>nul"
oShell.Run cmd,0,1
End Sub 

mister_gosh fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 13, 2007

Mindbullets
Jan 18, 2007
Yea! Getsome!

Dicky B posted:

I've been using a tiny goon-made application that somebody posted in SHSC years ago named UnzipDL. Unfortunately my hard drive failed yesterday so I've lost it and I can't remember said goon's username.

Basically it's a single executable and an ini file which contains a location, for example 'C:\Unzipped'. Then you download a zip with Firefox and tell it to open it with UnzipDL and check the "do this automatically for file like this form now on" checkbox

After that, every time you click on a link to a zip file Firefox automatically downloads it and the contents of the file are immediately extracted to the location you set in the ini file into a folder with the same name as the zip file.
For example if the unzip location is 'C:\Unzipped' and you download the file 'abc.zip' then the contents of the zip file are extracted to 'C:\Unzipped\abc'

The program has absolutely no UI except for a small "unzipping" notification that appears in the center of the screen. As soon as it finishes extracting the zip the program exits.

Anybody feel like making this? Or if the original creator is reading this, can you post it again? I'm pretty much dependent on it now :(

Whew, This was a challenge for me because im a C# newb.

It works with firefox and windows context Open with dialogs.
It doesnt pop up and say its unzipping in the center, but it does unzip.

If it explodes im sorry, i stopped after all the static and public non-static stuff boggled my mind.

I named it DickyUnzip but i can change the name if you want.

http://tinyappz.com/wiki/DickyUnzip

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Mindbullets posted:

DickyUnzip
:love: This works great. I tried it out on a bunch of zip downloads and I haven't had any problems. Awesome job, I love you!

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

I'd like an app that opens and closes the CD tray, over and over. I work in a repair center and I need to make sure these drives work.

Also it would be fun to hook up a bunch and watch them go.

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1187102957

Thanks!

Fastbreak
Jul 4, 2002
Don't worry, I had ten bucks.

Shredder posted:

I'd like an app that opens and closes the CD tray, over and over. I work in a repair center and I need to make sure these drives work.

Also it would be fun to hook up a bunch and watch them go.

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1187102957

Thanks!

ha, I will do this one just for a video of all those trays going. .Net framework okay? 3 second delay between open/close command?

Edit: Done, but I suck at filling in the request on the wiki... Its called PsychoTray. I was not able to test the close tray function since I only have a laptop cd drive right now.

Fastbreak fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 14, 2007

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Fastbreak posted:

ha, I will do this one just for a video of all those trays going. .Net framework okay? 3 second delay between open/close command?

Edit: Done, but I suck at filling in the request on the wiki... Its called PsychoTray. I was not able to test the close tray function since I only have a laptop cd drive right now.

Thanks for the program! :) Although it only does one drive, I have 3 in this test system, any way to make it do all of them at once? And a box where I can input the delay would be sweet too :)

If I can make it spaz out I'll post a video.

Inquisitus
Aug 4, 2006

I have a large barge with a radio antenna on it.

Mindbullets posted:

Any chance of a link to the visual style? :shobon:

Mindbullets
Jan 18, 2007
Yea! Getsome!

Inquisitus posted:

Any chance of a link to the visual style? :shobon:
Its all over the internet. Its called Royale Noir.
Linkey: http://oddbasket.deviantart.com/art/Royale-Remixed-44294818
Youll need to download a patcher for UTxtheme.dll or whatever.

Inquisitus
Aug 4, 2006

Mindbullets posted:

Its all over the internet. Its called Royale Noir.
Linkey: http://oddbasket.deviantart.com/art/Royale-Remixed-44294818
Youll need to download a patcher for UTxtheme.dll or whatever.
Thanks! I thought it looked a bit like Noir.

dsh
Aug 2, 2003
I am in small groups for my grad school class where we have to present topics every week. Can you write a program that, given a list of names, would randomly generate an integer between 0 and the number of people for each person without repeating the numbers? We'd like to use it to assign topics fairly--drawing numbers out of a hat is getting old.

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Open_Requests

Thanks!

Inquisitus
Aug 4, 2006

dsh posted:

I am in small groups for my grad school class where we have to present topics every week. Can you write a program that, given a list of names, would randomly generate an integer between 0 and the number of people for each person without repeating the numbers? We'd like to use it to assign topics fairly--drawing numbers out of a hat is getting old.

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Open_Requests

Thanks!
Done!

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Topic_Assigner

It's just a simple console app but not much more is needed tbh.

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.
First time, long time here.

I'd really like an application (which seems simple in mind), that pops-up a small query window and posts your string in the search box on datasheetcatalog.com. Basically, I could keep this application open and just pop the part number I need into it and the application would open up the default web browser with the search results. It would be cool if there was a button you could click on the application itself that would show you the last 20 or so searches and clickable links to get to the results, but that is not necessary.

I hope this makes sense and is clear. I've done this as a Firefox bookmarklet, but a stand-alone desktop app would be ideal.

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1187183920

Fastbreak
Jul 4, 2002
Don't worry, I had ten bucks.

Shredder posted:

Thanks for the program! :) Although it only does one drive, I have 3 in this test system, any way to make it do all of them at once? And a box where I can input the delay would be sweet too :)

If I can make it spaz out I'll post a video.

Try downloading it again. Like I said I can't fully test it here, but I think it works.

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

voltron posted:

First time, long time here.

I'd really like an application (which seems simple in mind), that pops-up a small query window and posts your string in the search box on datasheetcatalog.com. Basically, I could keep this application open and just pop the part number I need into it and the application would open up the default web browser with the search results. It would be cool if there was a button you could click on the application itself that would show you the last 20 or so searches and clickable links to get to the results, but that is not necessary.

I hope this makes sense and is clear. I've done this as a Firefox bookmarklet, but a stand-alone desktop app would be ideal.

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1187183920

I'll take this request.

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

DLCinferno posted:

I'll take this request.
And done. I'll put it on the wiki after I get home tonight if it's what you're looking for. I took a guess on what type of search you are running. Let me know if it's not what you expected:

http://www.facetiousness.com/sa/DataSheetSearcher.exe

edit: requires .NET 2.0

DLCinferno fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 15, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

DLCinferno posted:

And done. I'll put it on the wiki after I get home tonight if it's what you're looking for. I took a guess on what type of search you are running. Let me know if it's not what you expected:

http://www.facetiousness.com/sa/DataSheetSearcher.exe

edit: requires .NET 2.0

Jesus. That is exactly how I pictured it. I love minimal and clean. Jesus. What kind of search are you talking about? I think the default options are best, part name, all brands.

Do you mind if I pass this around the office to other co-workers? What is your name so I can say, "my internet friend, <yourname>, made this for us!"

voltron fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 15, 2007

• Locked thread