Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Zorilla posted:

This is a Socket 462 system, right? That sounds like the ATX12V connector that sits by the CPU. I don't think Socket 462 boards have those, so you can leave that disconnected. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the missing 5V source that caused the Shuttle board to crap out. I wonder if replacing the Shuttle case's power supply would fix the issue.

Is this a fresh install of Windows or a carry-over from your old board? Does it start in Safe Mode? Can you do a fresh install and see if it works then?

Socket 478, Prescott core :911:

The way my Shuttle XPC kinda died was that image artifacts started showing up. With the X850 Pro it was transition-like parts of images (colors that fade into other colors) that would just show up as forest-green pixels. Obvious solution was, duh, video card. Popped in the 9800 Pro I had in the closet. No more image artifacts, but now the screensaver, Starfield, would have individual blue pixels show up on the screen after about 30 seconds. The CPU fan was running full blast and all that fun jazz when I just started up the computer, so I'm guessing that the southbridge blew or something.

I believe the mobo I got is a Socket A, for Athlon XP, Durons, etc. However, I'm still really concerned about this missing 5V power source. From what I can tell, it just powers the PCI bus, but I'm looking to get a soundcard. So, do I need a new power supply? is one of the leading questions, but it's right behind, what the gently caress is wrong with my poo poo?

The copy of Windows is still the old install I had when the XPC didn't start making GBS threads itself, and it won't even boot in safe mode. The problem is that I don't know what the gently caress I have on my hard drive. I have a gut feeling it's something vaguely important, but I don't want to reinstall and go, "what happened to X?" I suppose it's a bit dumb of me considering that it's been just around 3 months now, and I did a fresh install of Windows XP about a month prior to this happening and the only data I deemed "necessary" was my mp3 collection.

Phone fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 14, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Phone posted:

I believe the mobo I got is a Socket A, for Athlon XP, Durons, etc. However, I'm still really concerned about this missing 5V power source. From what I can tell, it just powers the PCI bus, but I'm looking to get a soundcard. So, do I need a new power supply? is one of the leading questions, but it's right behind, what the gently caress is wrong with my poo poo?

Socket 462 and Socket A are the same thing. This is what I was asking about and I guess the answer is yes. Not that it matters, but are you using your Shuttle's power supply to give this thing power while you're in between PCs or are you using a whole new unit?

If you need to get your crap off your hard drive, you should probably build yourself a BartPE boot disc if you can get access to another computer and a Windows XP install disc.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm using the Shuttle's power supply. I have a laptop that I'm using at the moment, and it looks like my roommates' desktops don't have SATA power connectors. Do you know off of the top of your head on whether or not the 5V line is make it or break it? I know a bit about computer hardware and software, but up until now, components just work; I know fundamentally how they work, but I'm sure that many people aren't testing their power supplies with a 500 dollar multimeter.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Phone posted:

I'm using the Shuttle's power supply. I have a laptop that I'm using at the moment, and it looks like my roommates' desktops don't have SATA power connectors. Do you know off of the top of your head on whether or not the 5V line is make it or break it? I know a bit about computer hardware and software, but up until now, components just work; I know fundamentally how they work, but I'm sure that many people aren't testing their power supplies with a 500 dollar multimeter.

I wouldn't count on the computer working very well, or at all, with no 5V power. I'm surprised it's even running at all. If another power supply does the same thing, I would think it's your board's sensor crapping out.

DSG7777
Jul 31, 2004
I have this dell fpw2007 lcd monitor and I was wondering if it is possible to use it to watch TV. Im returning to college in the fall and it would be great if I could just use this instead of ringing a huge crt tv back.
What hardware is required to do this? I want to be ale to hook up my xbox(which I can already do with the component input) and watch cable TV. Thanks.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Zorilla posted:

I wouldn't count on the computer working very well, or at all, with no 5V power. I'm surprised it's even running at all. If another power supply does the same thing, I would think it's your board's sensor crapping out.

In that case I'm going to go buy a cheapo power supply at the local Tigerdirect, and, just maybe, the Shuttle might work again. Thanks for your help.

edit: post above me, you can watch cable TV on it as long as you have a cable box with composite outputs. You can get an RCA -> miniplug which you can plug into your speakers, and the RCA jack into the monitor. I had my Xbox360 connected to VGA, desktop to DVI, and satelite to composite. It was rad.

Wendow
Sep 5, 2006

I am a window.
From reading the replies, apparently a PS3 or an Xbox360 can hook up to an LCD monitor, is there any way to set this up with a Wii?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Wendow posted:

From reading the replies, apparently a PS3 or an Xbox360 can hook up to an LCD monitor, is there any way to set this up with a Wii?

If the monitor has a composite or S-Video in, sure, otherwise, no. The Wii isn't a high definition console.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Are these bulging caps a really bad thing? Could they be the cause of a memory leak when I play some games?

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

SpartanIV posted:

Are these bulging caps a really bad thing? Could they be the cause of a memory leak when I play some games?

It can definitely be a bad sign. I don't know about memory leaks, but I've often had memory buses on motherboards fail, and then I see that capacitors are bulging, or even leaking out the top.

Computer Opponent
Nov 29, 2002

Nothing's gonna ever keep ya down!
i have two video cards (SLI), both of which have dual-dvi. can i use all four dvi ports to make a 4-monitor setup?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I have a follow up question regarding my bulging capacitors shown above. Is there a motherboard diagnostic test I can run, similar to memtest, but for motherboards? I need to see what, if anything, the capacitors are affecting.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Computer Opponent posted:

i have two video cards (SLI), both of which have dual-dvi. can i use all four dvi ports to make a 4-monitor setup?
Yes, but only without the SLI. With SLI you can only have one monitor unless they have managed to fix that recently.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Wendow posted:

Yes, actually, there is. You need a small scan converter to do it though. I picked up one on Ebay for fairly cheap. It converts S-video/composite/component inputs and outputs it into VGA. Works fine with any monitor that has a VGA input.

No answer on my bluetooth question, guess it's still not possible then :(

foghorn
Oct 9, 2006

Haters gunna hate.

SpartanIV posted:

I have a follow up question regarding my bulging capacitors shown above. Is there a motherboard diagnostic test I can run, similar to memtest, but for motherboards? I need to see what, if anything, the capacitors are affecting.

Bubbling capacitors are very, very bad news, and should be replaced immediately.

Bubbling capacitors are caused by improper assembly at the factory, and have been known to cause everything from a computer not booting to improper calculations, and may cause damage to the operating system. This problem is well reported and documented especially in the Dell model GX270 and GX280 motherboards. The fix is to immediately replace the motherboard. Due to the improper voltages running in the system, the power supply may need to be replaced as well (test it first).

There is no digital diagnostic, but a good set of eyes usually does the trick.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
That reminds me of one of the little 'tests' a veteran tech once gave me in diagnosing a hardware problem. He gave me a motherboard and told me to find the problem. So I started thinking basic, you know, the batteries, visible damage to the RAM and CPU slots, etc. Then I started going over all of the pathways thinking that maybe someone scratched a few when they were screwing in a screw or setting the CPU fan on. In the end, I was stumped and the answer was right in front of me. One of the capacitors was bulging and that was the problem.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

foghorn posted:

Bubbling capacitors are very, very bad news, and should be replaced immediately.

Bubbling capacitors are caused by improper assembly at the factory, and have been known to cause everything from a computer not booting to improper calculations, and may cause damage to the operating system. This problem is well reported and documented especially in the Dell model GX270 and GX280 motherboards. The fix is to immediately replace the motherboard. Due to the improper voltages running in the system, the power supply may need to be replaced as well (test it first).

There is no digital diagnostic, but a good set of eyes usually does the trick.
What do I need to test my powersupply? I'm assuming some piece of hardware, but I don't really know what.

foghorn
Oct 9, 2006

Haters gunna hate.

SpartanIV posted:

What do I need to test my powersupply? I'm assuming some piece of hardware, but I don't really know what.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16899129001

That's what I use. Easy to understand, cheap, and hasn't failed despite being manhandled for years and neglected in the bottom of my bag.

stfu salad
Feb 28, 2005

"I created the universe, the automobile, and even your father's narrow urethra!"
Wrong place.

stfu salad fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Aug 16, 2007

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I recently got an external My Book 500 gb Essential Edition for $130, though I've been reading about trouble with it getting recognized after awhile and some data loss. Just wanted to know if this was a good buy or if I should return it and spend my money on something else

Yoghurt
Dec 18, 2006

We have always been at war with scenesters

Dapper Dan posted:

I recently got an external My Book 500 gb Essential Edition for $130, though I've been reading about trouble with it getting recognized after awhile and some data loss. Just wanted to know if this was a good buy or if I should return it and spend my money on something else

I've had one for a month or two and have had no trouble with it. You don't really use the software on it or anything, it's just another plug-n-play usb drive as far as I'm concerned. Mind sharing the source of these complaints?

cosmanja
May 5, 2005
I picked up this processor http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sspec=sla4t
and am wondering if its 64bit. I'm looking to upgrade to vista and can't find any information on it which leads me to believe its not. Thanks

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

cosmanja posted:

I picked up this processor http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sspec=sla4t
and am wondering if its 64bit. I'm looking to upgrade to vista and can't find any information on it which leads me to believe its not. Thanks
According to newegg, yes it is.

Also, it lists Intel® EM64T support on the Intel page you linked. EM64T=64bit processor. :eng101:

future ghost fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 16, 2007

cosmanja
May 5, 2005

Grumperfish posted:

According to newegg, yes it is.

Also, it lists Intel® EM64T support on the Intel page you linked. EM64T=64bit processor. :eng101:

Thanks a bunch Windows vista 64bit here I come! OEM style

Computer Opponent
Nov 29, 2002

Nothing's gonna ever keep ya down!

Saukkis posted:

Yes, but only without the SLI. With SLI you can only have one monitor unless they have managed to fix that recently.

i also have a DVI splitter cable (2 female to 1 male). can i use that for a dual monitor setup? it seems like i wouldn't be able to, but that's how our dual displays are set up at work.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

i also have a DVI splitter cable (2 female to 1 male). can i use that for a dual monitor setup? it seems like i wouldn't be able to, but that's how our dual displays are set up at work.
Are you sure that's not a DMS-59 cable? It might also be some cable for duallink use, but I doubt it. Can you take a picture of the cable? I would suggest just forgetting about SLI and using them separately.

WrecklessSandwich
Jul 29, 2005

Chances are you would have 2 screens with the same picture.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Yoghurt posted:

I've had one for a month or two and have had no trouble with it. You don't really use the software on it or anything, it's just another plug-n-play usb drive as far as I'm concerned. Mind sharing the source of these complaints?

Mostly just Cnet reviews, I just wanted to see a second opinion.

Garkon
Feb 7, 2003

SpartanIV posted:

How do you know that you have a memory leak? Does the game crash and report a memory leak in an error message? Is your memory actually losing charge?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Garkon posted:

How do you know that you have a memory leak? Does the game crash and report a memory leak in an error message? Is your memory actually losing charge?
I'm using a G15 with an app that reports physical memory and virtual memory usage. I can watch the usage go up, and up, and up, and then when it reaches 2gigs, the game stutters then freezes, and I have to manually restart.

Garkon
Feb 7, 2003

SpartanIV posted:

I'm using a G15 with an app that reports physical memory and virtual memory usage. I can watch the usage go up, and up, and up, and then when it reaches 2gigs, the game stutters then freezes, and I have to manually restart.

From everything you've said I would be more inclined to say it's a software issue rather than hardware. Do you have 2gigs of RAM, or do you have more? It sounds like either the game requires more memory than you have available or the game is broken and keeps allocating memory without freeing up what it's not using. Or do you know all of this and think that the memory leak, which is usually a software issue, may be hardware related in this case?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Garkon posted:

From everything you've said I would be more inclined to say it's a software issue rather than hardware. Do you have 2gigs of RAM, or do you have more? It sounds like either the game requires more memory than you have available or the game is broken and keeps allocating memory without freeing up what it's not using. Or do you know all of this and think that the memory leak, which is usually a software issue, may be hardware related in this case?
I have 2 gigs of ram, and I thought it was software related too, but it's happened in 3 games. Battlefield 2 and 2142, which are practically the same, but also it has happened in Garrysmod. I have also formatted twice, replaced the hard drive once, updated all my drivers after each format, updated the bios, and run memtest on my ram with no errors reported. At this point it is either the mobo, the video card, or perhaps memtest is lying to me.

Garkon
Feb 7, 2003

SpartanIV posted:

I have 2 gigs of ram, and I thought it was software related too, but it's happened in 3 games. Battlefield 2 and 2142, which are practically the same, but also it has happened in Garrysmod. I have also formatted twice, replaced the hard drive once, updated all my drivers after each format, updated the bios, and run memtest on my ram with no errors reported. At this point it is either the mobo, the video card, or perhaps memtest is lying to me.

Provided you're running with the latest patches of those games and not running Vista, then I would definitley agree that it's probably something fishy with your hardware. I just find it hard to believe that your motherboard is the culprit, because like you said, the system knows you have 2gigs and it knows it's using it all. But I could be totally wrong and all your problems will be a distant memory if you get a new motherboard. I would at least explore the video card before going out and buying a new motherboard.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I built my own computer for the first time about a month or more ago. Just recently, perhaps within the last week, I will occasionally see red horizontal lines extending from the right side of my monitor. If I recall, it has only happened just after booting Windows, and it does not always occur. P4, Geforce 7300 on a Machspeed board.

What's all this about? I'm worried for my baby.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Drox posted:

I built my own computer for the first time about a month or more ago. Just recently, perhaps within the last week, I will occasionally see red horizontal lines extending from the right side of my monitor. If I recall, it has only happened just after booting Windows, and it does not always occur. P4, Geforce 7300 on a Machspeed board.

What's all this about? I'm worried for my baby.

I'm betting it's the monitor that's doing it. Have you tried a different one?

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Aug 17, 2007

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Zorilla posted:

I'm betting it's the monitor that's doing it. Have you tried a different one?

No, I have a spare somewhere but haven't been able to find it. This one is reasonably old, come to think of it.

Edit: it would also be hard to test a different monitor anyway, seeing as it happens very infrequently and I haven't found a way to trigger it besides rebooting a ton. If it makes a difference, this does actually happen AFTER boot when I log in to Windows XP

foghorn
Oct 9, 2006

Haters gunna hate.

Garkon posted:

Provided you're running with the latest patches of those games and not running Vista, then I would definitley agree that it's probably something fishy with your hardware. I just find it hard to believe that your motherboard is the culprit, because like you said, the system knows you have 2gigs and it knows it's using it all. But I could be totally wrong and all your problems will be a distant memory if you get a new motherboard. I would at least explore the video card before going out and buying a new motherboard.

Like I said, busted caps have been known to cause weird things. This is just further proof.

Those capacitors are 100% definitely A problem if not THE problem. Fix them, then if it happens again, come back.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Garkon posted:

Everything is patched, and I tried my video card in a friends computer and the game ran fine for him. so it pretty much has to be the mobo at this point.

WrecklessSandwich
Jul 29, 2005

Fix the bulging caps anyways, even if they aren't causing the current issues they WILL gently caress poo poo up later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garkon
Feb 7, 2003

SpartanIV posted:

Everything is patched, and I tried my video card in a friends computer and the game ran fine for him. so it pretty much has to be the mobo at this point.

Sounds like you've exhausted all your options and the best thing to do is listen to foghorn and WrecklessSandwich; and fix those capacitors.

• Locked thread