Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Machine Gun
Aug 22, 2006

what a fucking nightmare

Sex Dwarf posted:

My first guitar. I'm pretty proud of it even if it isn't a Gibson.

Wow, I'm not down with Les Pauls, but that looks pretty nice. Where'd you get it and who made it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

fusionpit posted:

I also got one of these

on the recommendation of a coworker. $10, off ebay.

$10...nice! I have one my boss gave me that was left over from the previous owner of the studio. It's a pretty cool sounding hardware reverb. Mine's display is out though, and would cost way too much to fix. I mainly use it for vocal reverbs at the church I run sound at, and it sounds excellent! I really wish I could see what I was doing so I could really explore. I suppose that one of these days, I'll get around to looking up a MIDI implementation list, so that I can just use MIDI to control all the params.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Avant Gardening posted:

Korg R3

My first synth, I've had it for two weeks and I'm having tons of fun making sounds on it, yet I don't know exactly what each parameter and setting does, so I haven't made any sound I can call my own.

I've heard that these are extremely similar to the Radias, since they are both based on the multiple modeling technology started with the Oasys. I got a Radias myself not terribly long ago. I've had it for a few months and can't say I've really "explored" it yet either. The whole hybrid synth thing is pretty new to me. I'm OK at coming up with decent patches based purely on subtractive principals, but mixing digital waveforms in there is a bit of a throw-off. I'm sure there is some truly magical stuff we could accomplish on our respective toys. They don't have nearly the community (that I've found) yet that the MS-2000/Microkorg engine has, so I'm not really sure what other people are doing with it yet.

Just out of curiosity, did your R3 come with editing software? My Radias did. I wonder if patches from the one would work on the other, kind of like how the Microkorg patches worked on the MS-2000.

Sex Dwarf
Mar 12, 2005
WEB 2.0 POSTER

Best Friend posted:

Wow, I'm not down with Les Pauls, but that looks pretty nice. Where'd you get it and who made it?

I got it at this local place called Lier's Music Co and it's made by Tradition.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Generic CAW
Aug 11, 2007

BLANDTASTIC!
OK, this is the latest music-related product I purchased (I bought it in april, but its still the latest):

M-Audio BX8a Studio Monitors
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/StudiophileBX8a-main.html

I think they sound fantastic, I am very happy with my purchase.

Generic CAW fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 12, 2007

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I'd get rid of that smilie if I were you.

Avant Gardening
Jul 24, 2007
"...And if you wondered what Time sounded like it sounded like water running in a dark cave and voices crying and dirt dropping down upon hollow box lids, and rain."

Justus posted:

Just out of curiosity, did your R3 come with editing software? My Radias did. I wonder if patches from the one would work on the other, kind of like how the Microkorg patches worked on the MS-2000.

It has editing software but I haven't used it yet. I've just been tweaking default patches with ADSR and Cutoff and Resonance.

kelpo
May 27, 2003

We are a Blaze in the Northern Sky
The next thousand Years Are OURS!
GK Backline 210 bass combo-

ESP f100-

Schecter Stiletto Studio-5 Fretless (in a solid red wood finish like i saw at guitar center)-

in that order and over the next few months

The Huntsman
Dec 15, 2004

This one is for all my little friends, you know who you are...

Avant Gardening posted:

Korg R3

My first synth, I've had it for two weeks and I'm having tons of fun making sounds on it, yet I don't know exactly what each parameter and setting does, so I haven't made any sound I can call my own.

How does this compare to a SH-201? I have been tackling with the idea of picking up an SH-201 but if this is a better keyboard I am all over this. I love Korg.

vinyld00d
Jun 17, 2007

by angerbotSD
bought one of these and they are great. "box of rock" by zachary vex.

if ya like the sound of older marshalls you really need to check this thing out. there's a demo vid here: http://www.zvex.com/boxofrock.html

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society

kelpo posted:

GK Backline 210 bass combo-

That is a really slick unit. Any idea if it could drive a 1x15 also? If so my search for live rig may forever be done.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

That is a really slick unit. Any idea if it could drive a 1x15 also? If so my search for live rig may forever be done.

I've seen GK deals in musiciansfriend, and pictures of people running that 2x10 combo and a 15, so yes. Yes it can.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

oh yes. two kinds... of dances
Squier Standard Fat Strat in pewter satin finish.

Just won a lightly used one of these on eBay for $150. My first guitar! :dance:

edit: Will post real life shots when it arrives.

Unspun
Apr 6, 2007

You might feel your bones loose or discomforting.
It's normal!
Your legs are just developing and changing into being a Milky Point Millionaire.
An oh-so-sexy Johannes Bonefaas banjo has pretty much fallen into my lap:

It sounds like a plunky old angel. Perfect!

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch

Ignore A-List posted:

bought one of these and they are great. "box of rock" by zachary vex.

if ya like the sound of older marshalls you really need to check this thing out. there's a demo vid here: http://www.zvex.com/boxofrock.html

That sounds/looks awesome. And my name's Zach, too. Ha! I love the solo tone at around 1:20 in the audio demo. Dare I ask...how much was it?

edit: Checked ebay, they're not cheap. Yow.

kaptainkaffeine fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 13, 2007

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel
oh god it's here!!

now to spend the next god knows how long playing with the knobs and not actually making any music.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Ahh, I keep changing my mind on what to get next. I always do. Now I'm thinking a '62 RI Jazzmaster, either thin skin or regular, and either seafoam green or shoreline gold. Or, alternatively, a Lovepedal Eternity distortion if I feel the need to drop absurd amounts of money on one pedal (about $300).

Meursault Horny
Sep 9, 2003

aaaaaaaaaaa I just got one of these off of ebay and it's the craziest thing ever

I put it in a feedback loop and it does the wackiest stuff, the sampled bp is a bitcrusher that makes sweet arpeggios you can tune and change the rate, and the detuner makes these huge dive bomb things, and I've only tested about a quarter of the modes so far. It's kind of overwhelming. As far as 'normal' music goes I have no idea how the digital effects sound, I've that read most are pretty good, but I really like it for noise so far.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

Anti-Derivative posted:

oh god it's here!!

now to spend the next god knows how long playing with the knobs and not actually making any music.

I've never understood rackmount synths like this, do you plug another keyboard into them to control or is it all knob dancing?

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

gently caress yeah! from rondo no less

also:

gently caress yeah!

ordered friday, guitar should be here tomorrow
gently caress i'm gonna be freaking out/spacing out all day at work

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel

Engine Fortegue posted:

I've never understood rackmount synths like this, do you plug another keyboard into them to control or is it all knob dancing?

You usually plug a midi keyboard into it. You can buy a version of this synth with a built in keyboard but its almost 1000 bucks more, and good midi keyboards run about 300. Plus, it's nice to be able to pick the keyboard seperately from the synth, rather than be stuck with whatever the manufacturer decides to put in the synth.

This particular synth is USB though, so i just plugged it into my computer, along with the keyboard and everything works.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

mezzir posted:

gently caress yeah! from rondo no less

also:

gently caress yeah!

ordered friday, guitar should be here tomorrow
gently caress i'm gonna be freaking out/spacing out all day at work

Hell yes dude I want to know every little detail about how those P90s sound.

Also thanks Anti-D :)

Tome
Mar 2, 2007

I got this months ago, but I haven't found a decent picture.

Until now.

The Gibson Melody Maker, this model is now discontinued. It's the first guitar that I bought with my own money, and it looks and plays great. It's really good fun.

Jonny
Dec 31, 2005

Borrowing this from my guitar teacher this week with the intent to buy if it's as good as I dream of.

Mesa-Boogie Rect-o-verb 1x12 (Click for bigger)

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Synthesizers.com posted:

The Q117 Sample and Hold module is used to capture a signal's voltage level and hold it. The sampling can be triggered by an external signal such as an oscillator, by the internal oscillator, or manually. An LED indicates when a sample is being taken.
Interesting effects can be created by sampling a noise waveform and using the result to control an oscillator, filter, or clipper.

Should be here on Monday, I can't wait! The dotcom system went on hiatus a bit during the summer (my wife is a college professor so we tend to really live it up over the summer and travel everywhere, leaving no time/money for more music gadgets).

I'm thinking next of a nonstandard module, either something from Catgirl Synth or Club of the Knobs.

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

My Epiphone LP-100 in heritage cherry sunburst (first electric guitar). Just bought it yesterday; sounds great but needs a setup to get rid of some bad fret buzzing on the lowest two strings.

Below that is a Fender Duo-Sonic I found in a dusty old guitar bag under my brother's bed. Does anyone know anything about these?

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

Deus Rex posted:

My Epiphone LP-100 in heritage cherry sunburst (first electric guitar). Just bought it yesterday; sounds great but needs a setup to get rid of some bad fret buzzing on the lowest two strings.

Below that is a Fender Duo-Sonic I found in a dusty old guitar bag under my brother's bed. Does anyone know anything about these?

Warman's Vintage Guitar Field Guide says...

quote:

The two-pickup Duo-Sonic (introduced in the mid-'50s), and subsequent Mustang model (two pickups with vibrato, introduced in 1964) represented the bulk of Fender solidbody electric guitars sold in the '50s and '60s outselling the company's frontline models.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

FedEx came by this afternoon...

gently caress YEEEAAAAAAHHH :dance: First guitar!

The only amp I have to plug it into ATM is my dad's Fender BXR 60 bass amp but it still sounds good. There's a small ding on the bottom of the body but it's not really noticeable. So far, SWEEEET!

edit: Now I just have to learn how to play... :v: Also, I got a 2007 Deluxe strat whammy bar (snap in) for $20 off of eBay because the pics of the guitar didn't show one. Then I saw it came with one in the box. Uhhh... what should I do? Use the one I bought, sell it?

edit2: Found an electronic tuning device and holy crap was I off with my "by ear" tuning. Either that or my piano is out of tune. Sounds MUCH better now.

Pibborando San fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 17, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
WOO HOO!

On the left is the new addition. First "real" Fender. First P-bass. It's a MIM Precision Special Deluxe (Noiseless J pickup at the bridge, active preamp, and most importantly a Jazz width neck.) :dance:

I've been looking for this bass used for a long time and just happened to pop into a local music store over lunch. They had it at the exact price I was looking to pay for this thing used, plus threw in a new set of flats and knocked off a few bucks to boot.

:rock:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Anti-Derivative posted:

oh god it's here!!

That is awesome and I hope you're going to have gobs of fun with it.

Check if the newest OS is installed (some stores don't do this) so you get the truly out of whack oscillator modes.

Roman Starkhorse posted:

aaaaaaaaaaa I just got one of these off of ebay and it's the craziest thing ever

Choose Hall (or Space) Set Color to max, Decay to max and the Mix to 30% or so. Play a dry synth's pad sound or something. Endless reverb. Sample this and use it for weird background atmospheres.

vac
Jul 10, 2005
:o

Engine Fortegue posted:

Warman's Vintage Guitar Field Guide says...

It seems like there were re-issues in the mid-90s, probably one of those.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Deus Rex posted:

it's worthless, and you should give it away.
I can PM you my mailing address... :ninja:

Ok, so I am just jealous, but it's loving perfect for me - white on white, maple fretboard, and it's an offset...

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

Pibborando San posted:

edit: Now I just have to learn how to play... :v: Also, I got a 2007 Deluxe strat whammy bar (snap in) for $20 off of eBay because the pics of the guitar didn't show one. Then I saw it came with one in the box. Uhhh... what should I do? Use the one I bought, sell it?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't your guitar have a screw-in tremolo arm? If so, trying to use the pop-in arm would be a Bad Idea.

Out Of Band
May 2, 2002

HI I AM A CLAM

Novation Remote Zero SL

This is now the cornerstone of my Ableton Live 6 setup. I am trying to come up with a custom template for it, but honestly I'm just having so much fun with its AutoMap feature right now...

I also rock a Trigger Finger (awesome little piece of gear, built well, affordable, and gets the job done) for UI control as well as some other hard-set maps to my common clips/effects/etc. The last piece of gear in my setup (currently) is an M-Audio Ozonic, which isn't the most amazing piece of gear, but it really is pretty solid and I like the fact that it has aftertouch and a FireWire audio interface built in.

As for my next piece of gear...

I can't resist this thing (Tonium Pacemaker - http://pacemaker.net/). It looks like so much fun. If it works as advertised (and if the undiscussed beat matching is any good) then I have to have it. It's a drat party in your pocket.

Out Of Band fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 17, 2007

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Deus Rex posted:

Lucky! Post the serial number and we can figure out how old it is for you.

WET BUTT
Mar 11, 2005
Well I got my Twin Reverb and it's goddamn amazing. Especially with a Big Muff and a Wah. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good pedal that will give me some gain? I obviously can't get a very gain-y sound with a Twin Reverb but I'm thinking of saving up for a Box of Rock. If there's a cheaper alternative I'd really like to know!

sailorjosh
Apr 23, 2006

Peanut butter, mother fucker.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

Chows posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't your guitar have a screw-in tremolo arm? If so, trying to use the pop-in arm would be a Bad Idea.

Oh... drat. I was under the impression that the threaded trems could still accept snap in whammy bars. :(

soiree of love
Jul 6, 2002

by R. Guyovich

WET BUTT posted:

Well I got my Twin Reverb and it's goddamn amazing. Especially with a Big Muff and a Wah. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good pedal that will give me some gain? I obviously can't get a very gain-y sound with a Twin Reverb but I'm thinking of saving up for a Box of Rock. If there's a cheaper alternative I'd really like to know!

ibanez tube screamer sounds pretty good with these
also, welcome to the twin club :hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vinyld00d
Jun 17, 2007

by angerbotSD

WET BUTT posted:

theres a mass produced model of the box of rock without the fancy paintjob for a little over $200. i've really never heard a better pedal than it for marshall style crunch, and i've tried a lot.

other pedals that could work well with a twin would be a boss ds-1 or a proco rat, which you can probably get in the realm of 50 bucks if you have a little patience on ebay.