Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

gently caress, finding a room in the city is annoying. Looking in inner sunset and I go to these places listed on craigslist and I'm competing with sometimes 30+ people to get a room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

_Delirium
Nov 17, 2004
under an unquiet skull
If you don't have a ton of money and don't want to live with lots of roommates (always a recipe for huge hassles), living somewhere outside of San Francisco is a better idea IMO. Between BART, Caltrain, and local transit systems, it's easy to get into S.F. without driving when you want to anyway.

I wouldn't say it's cheap even out of S.F., but there're plenty of comparatively affordable apartments in Silicon Valley. If you work in the tech industry that's probably where your job will be anyway.

Also, make your own drat food instead of eating out. Even the supposedly "cheap" ethnic eateries are at least 3-4x more expensive than shopping at a grocery store and making your own food. This is another advantage of living outside of S.F.: You can shop at real grocery stores with reasonable prices, instead of Local Organic Market Where Everything Is Marked Up.

Of course I live in Santa Cruz so I didn't follow much of this advice, but even Santa Cruz is cheaper (and has cheaper groceries) than S.F. And the weather's better.

Victor Nightingale
May 11, 2005

A friend is coming in from out of state to visit for a few days in October and I want to show her around. We both want to do the touristy thing and go up into the wine country on one of those tour things that they do with a buss and wine tasting.

For those of you that have gone on these, which ones did you like? Which companies would you recommend? We're both in our mid 20's and I would prefer not to be with some giant group and preferably few old people too.

loud-bob
Feb 11, 2004

AHHHHHHHH
The night tour of Alcatraz is a cool touristy thing. Walking up the hill to coit tower is cool (do not drive). Napa is nice but has a high "old rich white people" feel.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.

loud-bob posted:

The night tour of Alcatraz is a cool touristy thing.
I've lived here the majority of my life and just went to Alcatraz for the first time on Friday night (company sent us for free). It was a night tour and it was the most beautiful night you could ask for: no wind, 75 degrees, gorgeous. I would definitely recommend taking a tourist here.

Also, a favorite spot of mine to take tourists is Twin Peaks. Drive on up there and you'll get a stellar view of the city, 360 degrees around. It's absolutely amazing. If you don't know where to go, just drive towards that giant radio tower on the hill.

nixar55
Jul 25, 2003

She packed my bags last night. Pre-flight. Zero hour nine a.m. And I'm gonna be high as a kite by then.

mrpuffypants posted:

A friend is coming in from out of state to visit for a few days in October and I want to show her around. We both want to do the touristy thing and go up into the wine country on one of those tour things that they do with a buss and wine tasting.

For those of you that have gone on these, which ones did you like? Which companies would you recommend? We're both in our mid 20's and I would prefer not to be with some giant group and preferably few old people too.

I did the Woods & Wine tour with this group:

http://www.sightseeingworld.com/

I was worried about going by myself and being the only person without a walker and fanny pack, but the tour was pretty small and I befriended a cool family from Detroit. Our tour guide kind of sucked, but the Sebastiani Winery was a lot of fun and we had a better guide for that part of the tour and the tasting. We also did Muir Woods on this tour, which was awesome.

I did the night tour of Alcatraz, too. Highly recommend that.

My favorite site was still Sutro Baths though.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Pawn 17 posted:

gently caress, finding a room in the city is annoying. Looking in inner sunset and I go to these places listed on craigslist and I'm competing with sometimes 30+ people to get a room.
I know, it's horrible. That's why you have to basically camp out on the craigslist site and call right away.

I guess I shouldn't have to tell you this either but if you can clear a schedule at a moment's notice to go somewhere, that's good too. I have friends who struggled to find rooms for ages because they'd set appointments to see places a week from their first phone call because they were "busy." They'd lose the place. When I got places, it was because I called and just said "name a time and I'll be there!" Half the time I'd go from just hanging up the phone to going straight out to a place to look.

I hope to god I never, ever have to do a roommate search again. It's awful, it's depressing, and it sucks up a ton of time and energy. You have to work up the nerve to talk to a ton of strangers over and over knowing full well that 99% of the people you meet are people you'll never see again and wouldn't WANT to see again. I had so many times when I was just talking myself into liking people who would be horrible roommates just because I needed a place. :(

Inner Sunset's really bad anyway, though it depends on age group. Seems to me like Mission's actually getting a little more expensive since more people are there so there are lots of college students in Sunset in cheap housing so when people put up an ad, a flood awaits them. Definitely check out the Richmond if you can, I know I pimp my neck of the woods a lot but I've always had better luck with places out here.

...though when I move next year, my boyfriend and I are definitely thinking it's time to go to the Sunset since we're sick of lovely Richmond landlords.

nixar55 posted:

My favorite site was still Sutro Baths though.
I actually lived out right by Sutro Baths and still haven't actually been out there much since I'm a bad tourist. I need to go soon, though I talked to someone who apparently fell in and I'm not looking forward to that. I get my new digital camera today so I wanted to go this evening but the weather sucks out here in the richmond today so...

BetterOnTheMoon
Jun 24, 2005

Everything is better on the moon!

Ozma posted:

I actually lived out right by Sutro Baths and still haven't actually been out there much since I'm a bad tourist. I need to go soon, though I talked to someone who apparently fell in and I'm not looking forward to that. I get my new digital camera today so I wanted to go this evening but the weather sucks out here in the richmond today so...

When is the weather not bad in Richmond? I lived there over the summer and worked downtown and it always seemed like there was a fog hanging over that neighborhood in particular. IS there a good time of year? I might be back again in the spring, but if the weather is like that year-round, I might live in a different area of town.

Zoccoli
Feb 12, 2004

Everything that stands will be at odds with its neighbor, and everything that falls will perish without grace
The Sutro baths are awesome (and dangerous) at 2AM on a foggy night, particularly if you're drunk.

Seriously though, as cool as that place is at night, you have to be really careful about the tide and unexpected waves.

edit:

BetterOnTheMoon posted:

When is the weather not bad in Richmond? I lived there over the summer and worked downtown and it always seemed like there was a fog hanging over that neighborhood in particular. IS there a good time of year? I might be back again in the spring, but if the weather is like that year-round, I might live in a different area of town.
It was ~70 and sunny all afternoon out here yesterday, it was beautiful. :mad: Of course, it returned to pea soup fog by about 7PM, but I take what I can get. It's called the Fog Belt for a reason.

Zoccoli fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 20, 2007

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

BetterOnTheMoon posted:

Compared to the Mission, never, but compared to the Sunset or the Haight, always. Obviously the closer to Ocean Beach you get, the worse it gets, but in the Inner Richmond there are almost always a few sunny days a week during most of the year. The fog ALWAYS rolls in as soon as the sun goes down, but the Richmond has nowhere close to the worst weather in the city.

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma
Oakland has amazing weather, every day. Screw you, SF

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
Am I the only person in this city who loves the fog? I live in the Fog Belt and couldn't be happier.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

UnclePlasticBitch posted:

Am I the only person in this city who loves the fog? I live in the Fog Belt and couldn't be happier.
I love the fog unless I want to take pictures. ;)

Richmond's not THAT bad. For example, I was just bitching about the weather earlier. Right now the fog's totally gone and it's gorgeous outside. This past weekend was really great weather-wise as well.

I'm surprised by the number of people who count Richmond out just because of the weather. I guess I'd take the weather into account if it really sucked every day but it doesn't; I come from South Dakota, where there's little point in being picky about locations because of weather. Go live in Spearfish, SD for a summer before bitching about obnoxious weather patterns here. ;)

BetterOnTheMoon
Jun 24, 2005

Everything is better on the moon!

Ozma posted:

Richmond's not THAT bad. For example, I was just bitching about the weather earlier. Right now the fog's totally gone and it's gorgeous outside. This past weekend was really great weather-wise as well.

I'm surprised by the number of people who count Richmond out just because of the weather. I guess I'd take the weather into account if it really sucked every day but it doesn't; I come from South Dakota, where there's little point in being picky about locations because of weather. Go live in Spearfish, SD for a summer before bitching about obnoxious weather patterns here. ;)

I don't personally have an issue with the fog (because I'm all Norse and burn like hell), but my boyfriend gets kinda mopey when he wakes up everyday in the fog.

However, being able to get speedy delivery from Great India is reason enough to live there again.

loud-bob
Feb 11, 2004

AHHHHHHHH
I hate any weather that is so repetitive and repressive. I'm originally from Ohio so I like variety.

Finding an apartment is difficult. You have to get creative and a little insane for a while. I showed up at the showing with multiple copies of my credit report from multiple companies, proof of employment, and a check for security, first months rent, and I offered to pay an extra $25 per month.

I'm extremely lucky, but I got the first apt I looked at when I moved here because I did all that. I did all that because I heard stories of how difficult it is and didn't want to gently caress around.

Duder
Sep 10, 2004
I'm originally from northbay, rural Napa not the wine part, but I used to make frequent pilgrimages to Tommasso's on Kearny and Broadway (I believe). I really like it, its where my parents went on their first "date." Good pizza, the linguine and mussels is phenomenal. Definitely worth checking out, get there early though. And do yourself a favor and sit at the communal table and drink the house red.

Captain Klare
Feb 22, 2006
!!!
From my experience, AT&T DSL isn't that great. I have 3mbps downstream for $20/month , but the DSL will go out for anywhere from 1-20 minutes every couple days. It's a good deal, I guess. Also, I've noticed their customer service get shittier ever since Pac Bell/SBC merged with Cingular to become AT&T.

PUSSY BARON
Dec 25, 2005

by mons all madden
How conceivable is it to live in/near Berkeley working at UPS/FedEx along with min. wage type jobs? is a roommate a must? I wouldn't mind living in the rear end in a top hat of earth if it were within walking distance of a bus or train.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

just so this doesn't end up getting confusing:

Richmond = city in the East Bay.
the Richmond = neighborhood in SF, on the western side, between Golden Gate Park and the Presidio.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Agonotheta posted:

How conceivable is it to live in/near Berkeley working at UPS/FedEx along with min. wage type jobs? is a roommate a must? I wouldn't mind living in the rear end in a top hat of earth if it were within walking distance of a bus or train.
The cheapest you'll get in Berkeley that's worth having is a studio at a little under $1k a month. West Oakland is definitely cheaper than that

Mövenpick
Aug 15, 2004
vanilla eis
I'm visiting S.F. this week for a job interview. My interview is on Thursday but I should be free by 4PM and then I'm staying both Friday and Saturday just for fun. So my question is what things should I do and see?

I'll be staying at the Parc 55 Hotel (the company set me up there) on 55 Cyril Magnin St. It seems like a nice hotel but I'm paying for the extra days and since I like an active night life I'm wondering whether or not I should spend the other nights somewhere else. I enjoy the Club and Bar scene so if someone can reccomend a few to go to that would be great.

As far as touristy stuff goes, I'm thinking about visiting Alcatraz and Fisherman's Wharf. Is there anything else I should take note of?

I've been told to visit these stores:

Self Edge
American Rag
Villains Vault
Rolo
Wasteland

What are some good restaurants to go to? I like most types of food but if there's an incredible Mexican place I'd be interested to know.

I won't have a car, so will Taxis bleed me dry or can I take BART to get basically everywhere.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mövenpick posted:

What are some good restaurants to go to? I like most types of food but if there's an incredible Mexican place I'd be interested to know.

I won't have a car, so will Taxis bleed me dry or can I take BART to get basically everywhere.

I know I've mentioned it before but definitely go to Mi Lindo Yucatan, which is at 15th and Valencia. A short walk from the 16th street BART station.

nixar55
Jul 25, 2003

She packed my bags last night. Pre-flight. Zero hour nine a.m. And I'm gonna be high as a kite by then.
I liked Mi Lindo Yucatan, but I think I should've gotten the pork and not the mole turkey.

I loved everything at Velvet Cantina, on 23rd St. between Bartlett and Valencia. The guacamole was awesome, the drinks were strong, and the cactus enchilladas were perfection.

God, I miss the food in SF. It's not like NYC doesn't have good food, but our Mexican is poo poo in comparison. We have better pizza though.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

nixar55 posted:

I liked Mi Lindo Yucatan, but I think I should've gotten the pork and not the mole turkey.

Definitely, the slow cooked pork is the best thing on the menu. Turkey is kind of lame no matter what you do to it.

digital-entropy
Apr 21, 2002

Different subject, but does anyone having any camping (i.e., tent) recommendations around the bay area? I'm trying to stick within a couple hours of SF. Last time we went to Big Basin SP, which was alright, but I'm looking for a different place.

sildenafil
Dec 17, 2004

They're just jealous.
I don't have any personal experience, but http://www.ebparks.org/parks may be helpful. I've been to Del Valle for day trips, and it was nice, but I don't have any camping experience there.

Edit: more specific link http://www.ebparks.org/activities/camping

sildenafil fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Aug 28, 2007

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
WE DON'T NEED ROME TELLING US WHAT TO DO
What internet services are there out here? I just signed the lease on my place and have been tasked with acquiring the service. I know there's comcast but I'm wary given their recent packet-shaping for bittorrent and whatnot.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

I pay too much $$ for Speakeasy DSL ($110/mo for 6m/768k, no phone line package w/ static IP's)

they don't throttle anything, no restrictions on anything at all and have had a %99 uptime and full speed availability for me. I'm much happier with them instead of Comcast for sure.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Telex posted:

I pay too much $$ for Speakeasy DSL ($110/mo for 6m/768k, no phone line package w/ static IP's)

they don't throttle anything, no restrictions on anything at all and have had a %99 uptime and full speed availability for me. I'm much happier with them instead of Comcast for sure.
Just a caveat here: We have had speakeasy get pissed at us for using lots of bandwidth, but to be fair we have over 100 people on two 6 mbit lines and have gotten more than a few takedown notices from HBO. They never went as far as to disconnect us without contacting us first (they did do that when we had a spambot on our network though).

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I finally landed here about a month ago and am really liking it so far. Moving out here was quite an experience. It is impossible to overstate how critical Craigslist is to moving survival. House hunting is positively exhausting. I was lucky in that I moved out with two friends, but we had to camp out in a crappy 1-bed hotel room north of Milpitas while we scurried all over the land looking at places. It took us a few days, but we stumbled on a nice 3BR house in Cupertino, which was a major relief. drat if that initial deposit didn't take every last dime of cash we had on hand. Don't underestimate the multiplicative power of first month's rent + last month's rent + one month security deposit!

The weather is nice. Or rather, it was, before this week. 90+ degrees in a house with no A/C can be quite unpleasant! There's a cigar shop down the road and I got to see Old Crow Medicine show at the Fillmore, both of which are awesome. U-turns are legal everywhere, which is kind of interesting to me. Good luck finding a street sign that hasn't been run over or corroded from years of neglect though! And what's with those little plastic bubbles for lane markers? Why can't they just use paint?

Also--and there's no way to say this without sounding like an rear end--where are the ladies? It's a long, long drive to the city, which is the only place I have seen people my age. Around here, it seems like there are absolutely no ladies at all. Or young people in general, really. I was hoping to find a nice little dive bar in the area and meet some interesting people. Instead, it seems like I have go the city or otherwise "commute" for a nightlife. Surely I'm just not looking in the right places though?

Elise
Jun 28, 2004

by SA Support Robot

Grigori Rasputin posted:

What internet services are there out here? I just signed the lease on my place and have been tasked with acquiring the service. I know there's comcast but I'm wary given their recent packet-shaping for bittorrent and whatnot.

SBC Yahoo is decent.

HMG
Apr 5, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump
I just moved up from orange county to berkeley a couple weeks ago and the weather stayed with me. :D

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Anyone have recommendations for where to watch the Rugby World Cup in San Francisco? I figure the Irish pubs will be the best, but I don't know of any that have a really great setup.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Kobayashi posted:

U-turns are legal everywhere, which is kind of interesting to me.
Well, not everywhere- there are signs here and there to prohibit it. ;)

Driving here is just confusing in general since there are so many places where a street is two-way but traffic can only turn onto it from one direction.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Kobayashi posted:

And what's with those little plastic bubbles for lane markers? Why can't they just use paint?
They're metal, actually. Paint wears off, and is hard to see in bright sunlight. Also, you get tactile feedback when you drift over the lane marker.

If they don't use them where you're from, it probably snows there doesn't it? snowplows and raised pavement markers don't mix.

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK

Socket Ryanist posted:

If they don't use them where you're from, it probably snows there doesn't it? snowplows and raised pavement markers don't mix.

I never saw them living on the east coast either, they kinda blew my mind when I saw them too.

Kobayashi posted:

Also--and there's no way to say this without sounding like an rear end--where are the ladies? It's a long, long drive to the city, which is the only place I have seen people my age. Around here, it seems like there are absolutely no ladies at all. Or young people in general, really. I was hoping to find a nice little dive bar in the area and meet some interesting people. Instead, it seems like I have go the city or otherwise "commute" for a nightlife. Surely I'm just not looking in the right places though?

I'm married so I don't really have an answer for it, but whenever I walk around Valley Fair or the Great Mall my penis doesn't know what direction to point in since there's plenty of nice looking women. So they do exsist, so I guess you'll just have to find them. I never go to bars or clubs so I know jack poo poo about that in the south bay.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Grigori Rasputin posted:

Comcast
AT&T DSL
Verizon DSL

Pick your poison.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

digital-entropy posted:

Different subject, but does anyone having any camping (i.e., tent) recommendations around the bay area? I'm trying to stick within a couple hours of SF. Last time we went to Big Basin SP, which was alright, but I'm looking for a different place.

I realize this post was a couple of weeks ago, but if you're still looking for camping sites, the place I recommend is Memorial Park. It's a San Mateo county park in the redwoods with a creek running through the middle. One nice feature is that you don't have to make reservations in advance, and it's cheaper than the state parks.

It's right next to a large park that doesn't allow camping, but has miles of hiking trails; or you can just go across the road from the entrance and climb to a coastal range peak for views.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Socket Ryanist posted:

Just a caveat here: We have had speakeasy get pissed at us for using lots of bandwidth, but to be fair we have over 100 people on two 6 mbit lines and have gotten more than a few takedown notices from HBO. They never went as far as to disconnect us without contacting us first (they did do that when we had a spambot on our network though).

while I'm slightly disappointed with this... I guess you're doing a better job of maxing out your lines than I am. I probably up 200gb/mo though (maybe more data up than down even) and I know comcast would have shut me off for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Telex posted:

while I'm slightly disappointed with this... I guess you're doing a better job of maxing out your lines than I am. I probably up 200gb/mo though (maybe more data up than down even) and I know comcast would have shut me off for that.
Speakeasy would probably wait a few months and then call you asking somewhat nicely to stop using so much bandwidth. Comcast and SBC would just shut you off and maybe you'd get a notice in the mail a few days later.

Edit: is that gigabits or gigabytes? They said they wanted us down to 20 gigabytes per week per connection (we were apparently at between 40-60)

• Locked thread