Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Stuntman Mike posted:

I think it does a little, but most of the interference comes from the fact that I'm indoors and can't open my windows. Also I've got a fluorescent light in my room, and whenever I turn it on I get massive noise over the radio. Hopefully when I move into res I'll have either an open-able window or some other way of setting up an antenna.

I just run a really long audio cable down the hall to where the computer is, so I don't have interference. I can listen via the audio patch on the computer to make sure I'm still receiving the broadcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

meltie posted:

People still use those?!

You would be loving amazed how many people still do. If you're in a big city (and I presume you still are?) then have a go late at night. I say late at night because that's when people with cordless phones are curled up on their couches, talking to their best friends/sexual partners/whatever.

Try after 9pm or so.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Analogue Cordless frequencies:

1 - 31.0375 NFM
2 - 31.0625 NFM
3 - 31.0875 NFM
4 - 31.1125 NFM
5 - 31.1375 NFM
6 - 31.1625 NFM
7 - 31.1875 NFM
8 - 31.2125 NFM

Like I said, misses the definition of shortwave by just over a meg, but it's still cool. You can also hear the person dial if you are quick. Decipher those DTMF tones! :)

trent_tube
Apr 20, 2006

Someone is going to jail
I know CB related stuff was a few pages back - but a quick question for you all. I just purchased a Cobra 29 to use at work at my desk. I don't want to put too much time into mounting an antenna, so I was going to take the cheap way out, and put a magnet mount on the roof somehow.

Will this work? I keep thinking that there must be some "grounding" or whatnot when its used on a car trunk, so it might not work on the roof.

If need be, I'll get a "base" antenna, but I sure as hell dont want to mount 18 feet of fiberglass on my building's roof.

Ideas please?

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines

Stuntman Mike posted:

So I found this playing on 5741 at about 1:15 UTC.
[/b] And then it just gets better and better.
Hahahaha holy poo poo that's awesome. I have to get me one of those cables.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

trentwoodard posted:

I know CB related stuff was a few pages back - but a quick question for you all. I just purchased a Cobra 29 to use at work at my desk. I don't want to put too much time into mounting an antenna, so I was going to take the cheap way out, and put a magnet mount on the roof somehow.

Will this work? I keep thinking that there must be some "grounding" or whatnot when its used on a car trunk, so it might not work on the roof.

If need be, I'll get a "base" antenna, but I sure as hell dont want to mount 18 feet of fiberglass on my building's roof.

Ideas please?
What kind of job do you have where you need a CB?

Anyway, you could use a mag mount antenna on the roof. The problem is that it's designed to work against the large mass of sheetmetal that is the roof of your car, so it won't work the greatest, but it will work. An A99 or other 1/4 wave vertical will work much better, but a mag mount will work OK.

The next problem is how to affix it to the roof? If you've some sort of appropriately-sized steel up there (i.e. big enough to actually get "magneted" to and securely fastened down), no problem in that regard, but if you don't then you've got to figure out something. Then you have to somehow secure the coax if you're running it down the side of the building, and make sure that where the coax enters the building is sealed properly so that water can't come in.

I'm not trying to be a killjoy or anything, I just want to to make sure you have all the bases covered.

edit: Also, you might be looking for something like this

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

nmfree posted:

Then you have to somehow secure the coax if you're running it down the side of the building, and make sure that where the coax enters the building is sealed properly so that water can't come in.

Well, that bit's easy. Drill a hole through the wall, and seal between cable and hole with sillicone bathtub sealant.

overflow
Dec 20, 2001

Stuntman Mike posted:

So I went down to Circuit City today and picked up a LineIN/LineOUT cable, so now I can plug my E5 into the back of my computer and hear the sound through my kickass computer speakers.

I can also record what I pick up with Audacity :awesomelon:

So I found this playing on 5741 at about 1:15 UTC.

Its quite grainy, and degenerates into plain noise a couple of times, but is hilarious to listen to. Crazy preachers are so awesome. At about 0:58 in this clip he goes from relatively calm to SIN IS IN THE HEARTS OF ALL MANKIND AND WE SHALL BURN IN THE ETERNAL HELLFIRE! And then it just gets better and better.

I believe this is the notorious "Brother Stairs" from the Overcomer Ministry:
http://www.overcomerministry.org/

He's pretty crazy, this page keeps tabs on him:
http://www.rickross.com/groups/rgstair.html

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
The saucer people are coming!

overflow posted:

I believe this is the notorious "Brother Stairs" from the Overcomer Ministry:
http://www.overcomerministry.org/

He's pretty crazy, this page keeps tabs on him:
http://www.rickross.com/groups/rgstair.html

Holy poo poo that's awesome :buddy:

aSSbAG.
Apr 10, 2005

Somethingawful's MAD Trucker

nmfree posted:

If he works at a warehouse or a shipping dock of some kind, he may need it to talk to truck drivers. I talk to shipping clerks all the time on the cb in my truck.

overflow
Dec 20, 2001

A little bird (ok, a cool guy who keeps his own schedules) told me that V2A _MIGHT_ be on tonight at 0200 on 12180. No guarantees, I guess they change it up quite a bit.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

overflow posted:

A little bird (ok, a cool guy who keeps his own schedules) told me that V2A _MIGHT_ be on tonight at 0200 on 12180. No guarantees, I guess they change it up quite a bit.

I've got my radio set up, that'll be in just about 45 minutes. I'll be listening.

In fact, I'm going to try and get a recording. Keep your fingers crossed and hope it works!

Edit: I'll be running a line out to a DAT deck, and then line-in recording to the computer afterwards. If I do get a recording, it'll be going online about 45 minutes AFTER the broadcast. Stay tuned!

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 22, 2007

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Okay, I've got the rig set up. Here's hoping your source is a good one!

overflow
Dec 20, 2001

AstroZamboni posted:

Okay, I've got the rig set up. Here's hoping your source is a good one!

She came on at exactly 0200 at 12180U..

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

overflow posted:

She came on at exactly 0200 at 12180U..

Of all the lovely times for me to be getting terrible reception.

I was barely even able to pull in WWV, so no recording.:smith:

overflow
Dec 20, 2001

Crap.. I recorded it.. but after recording I realized my input level was extremely low. You can still hear it, just need need to crank your speakers up. Let me clean it up a bit and host somewhere. I think this is the new voice, too.

overflow fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 22, 2007

Niklas Kronwall
Sep 23, 2005

by angerbotSD
I can't get it. :( My Grundig isn't pulling in anything except static and random tones on nearby frequencies.

Les Oeufs
May 10, 2006
Gah! i'm about an inch away from getting one of those SWs in the OP.

I'm confused though. How would you listen to those cordless phone transmissions if its just above the SW band?

overflow
Dec 20, 2001

I just realized I don't really have a place to host it. Signed up for a tindeck account.. anxiously awaiting activation email

Edit: Ahh, it was sitting in my SPAM folder on gmail. Got it. Unfortunately there's lots of background noise, propagation stinks tonight and I've got local storms. Still was able to pull it in with the magnetic loop. It comes in much clearer (albeit briefly) right around 7:28. This is the entire message.

overflow fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 22, 2007

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

overflow posted:

I just realized I don't really have a place to host it. Signed up for a tindeck account.. anxiously awaiting activation email

Edit: Ahh, it was sitting in my SPAM folder on gmail. Got it. Unfortunately there's lots of background noise, propagation stinks tonight and I've got local storms. Still was able to pull it in with the magnetic loop. It comes in much clearer (albeit briefly) right around 7:28. This is the entire message.

Semi-disturbing thing: I've listened to her so many times while falling asleep that hearing the recording made me sleepy.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

bad mutant vibes posted:

Semi-disturbing thing: I've listened to her so many times while falling asleep that hearing the recording made me sleepy.

You too, eh?

I've listened to CONET so many times that it doesn't phase me anymore. Truth be told, the repetitive voice is kind of hypnotic.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Well, this is interesting (in an "I'm a shortwave radio nerd" kind of way). I'm getting Voice of Russia in right now, 4:30-5:00 Universal Time, on 13635. I've never been able to get them in at all before, on any frequency, and Passport doesn't even show them as broadcasting on 13635 at all. I wonder if they set up a new transmitter somewhere. Time for a reception report to see what the deal is!

(edit): and they're gone, off the air promptly at 5. Neat while it lasted, very old school propaganda type radio.

In other news, I got a QSL and a nice brochure from Radio Netherlands today, so there's another station that will QSL you just for dropping an email.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 22, 2007

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I may have actually gotten my dumb-rear end loop antenna working. I put in a third capacitor, and it does seem to be tuning when I get up toward 10000 KHz. I\'ve had a few stations get moderately stronger while tuning, so I guess I\'ve finally got it right. Now I just need to fiddle with the whatsits on the back of the capacitor (I forget what they\'re called) to tune it down a bit. I\'ll probably wind up seeing if disconnecting one of the tabs from the short makes any difference, too. I was expecting a little more, but I honestly haven\'t thoroughly tested it across the whole spectrum, so we\'ll see.

At least there wasn\'t any violence involved.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Nostratic posted:

I may have actually gotten my dumb-rear end loop antenna working. I put in a third capacitor, and it does seem to be tuning when I get up toward 10000 KHz. I\'ve had a few stations get moderately stronger while tuning, so I guess I\'ve finally got it right. Now I just need to fiddle with the whatsits on the back of the capacitor (I forget what they\'re called) to tune it down a bit. I\'ll probably wind up seeing if disconnecting one of the tabs from the short makes any difference, too. I was expecting a little more, but I honestly haven\'t thoroughly tested it across the whole spectrum, so we\'ll see.

At least there wasn\'t any violence involved.

Eh, a little violence never hurt anyone.

Les Oeufs
May 10, 2006
Add another car to the economic drain train. Bought an Eton E5 on clearance at The Source for $80 CAD. It was a bitch getting my hands on it though. The website for a few stores said they had them in, but it turns out they didnt. Called a store in Hamilton and they said they had one, so I got the guy to put it on hold. Turns out the guy didnt actually have one (the manual was the only thing in the back so he figured it was stolen at some time). But he DID find a Grundig G4000A for $100. I bought that because I figured it was a bit more expensive, but if I dont like the hobby, I could sell it for profit when I was bored of it. Brought it home, and the speaker didnt work. The headphones worked, but not the speaker. So then I called another store in Hamilton that had an E5. So I got the clerk to grab it while I was on the phone and put it behind the counter. Went down, did the ol' exchange, and now I have an E5 (which I figure I could still sell for profit if I dont like this business)

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Les Oeufs posted:

Add another car to the economic drain train. Bought an Eton E5 on clearance at The Source for $80 CAD. It was a bitch getting my hands on it though. The website for a few stores said they had them in, but it turns out they didnt. Called a store in Hamilton and they said they had one, so I got the guy to put it on hold. Turns out the guy didnt actually have one (the manual was the only thing in the back so he figured it was stolen at some time). But he DID find a Grundig G4000A for $100. I bought that because I figured it was a bit more expensive, but if I dont like the hobby, I could sell it for profit when I was bored of it. Brought it home, and the speaker didnt work. The headphones worked, but not the speaker. So then I called another store in Hamilton that had an E5. So I got the clerk to grab it while I was on the phone and put it behind the counter. Went down, did the ol' exchange, and now I have an E5 (which I figure I could still sell for profit if I dont like this business)

80 CAD for an E5 is a loving great deal! That's only about half the regular price! Well done!

Les Oeufs
May 10, 2006
Thanks! Any Canada goons looking to get into SW, check the website for The Source. They're having a big clearance on Eton/Grundig stuff (mentioned around page 10 I believe)

Now I've just got to read the manual, and try to find some cool stuff to tune in to. Only problem is that its supposed to be cloudy for the next 24 hours

edit: New development - I went to do some work at my grandparents house and I mentioned to my grandpa about the deal I got. He told me that he just bought a new SW for the cottage because my cousin buggered around with it and broke the old one, but then when my grandpa went up to the cottage with this one, the guy he was with fixed the old one. He was going to take it back, but he cant find the bill.
Anyways, its an Eton S350 Deluxe. He told me to take it home and play around with it to see if its any good. Heard anything about this radio?

Les Oeufs fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 22, 2007

overflow
Dec 20, 2001

V2A Schedule for this evening (from same source as last night):

0200 - 5883
0400 - 9323
0500 - 3927/8097
0600 - 4028/8097

Every day at 1600 and 1700, they're on 17478 and 17436 respectively. No guarantees, they change it up quite often.

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
The saucer people are coming!

Les Oeufs posted:

Thanks! Any Canada goons looking to get into SW, check the website for The Source. They're having a big clearance on Eton/Grundig stuff (mentioned around page 10 I believe)

Now I've just got to read the manual, and try to find some cool stuff to tune in to. Only problem is that its supposed to be cloudy for the next 24 hours

edit: New development - I went to do some work at my grandparents house and I mentioned to my grandpa about the deal I got. He told me that he just bought a new SW for the cottage because my cousin buggered around with it and broke the old one, but then when my grandpa went up to the cottage with this one, the guy he was with fixed the old one. He was going to take it back, but he cant find the bill.
Anyways, its an Eton S350 Deluxe. He told me to take it home and play around with it to see if its any good. Heard anything about this radio?
Earlier in the thread there was a discussion I had with some people about the 350DL. Consensus was that it is cooler than the E5 because it has knobs. v:haw:v

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

My Eton E-5 arrived yesterday. Yay!

Within 20 minutes, I was listening to the evening news at Radio Zimbabwe. This is sweet.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of a brand new E5, I paid $94 shipped, got it from eBay. Should be here this afternoon unless UPS is lying about the delivery time (as the seem to do all together to often).

trent_tube
Apr 20, 2006

Someone is going to jail

nmfree posted:

I'm not trying to be a killjoy or anything, I just want to to make sure you have all the bases covered.

edit: Also, you might be looking for something like this

I'm a computer tech - I work inside all day long, but next door to me is a fairly large shipping and receiving yard. I havent listened to a CB in a while, and thought it would be a fun addition to my boring office.

I've seen the indoor antennas -but dont have room for one. I've seen some outdoor CB antennas, but some are almost 20 feet tall. I cant really make a blemish like that on my building. Any recommendations on a smaller antenna that would work? Not necessarily a magnet mount. (I only thought a magnet mount would be easiest)

I know alot of you HAM guys know an antenna that would have the right length cable, etc. Maybe one less than $100?

Edit - I've found the No Ground Plane antennas at FireStik. I'm guessing something like this could work? http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/NGP_3-Way.htm

trent_tube fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 23, 2007

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Alright, creepiest thing so far tonight:

At 13465Khz (if I remember correctly), I tuned into some weird Catholic mass thingy. A priest (I assume) said the Hail Mary in latin, and what sounded like an assembled congregation in a church repeated it after him. This went on and on and on for at least 20 minutes, before I tuned over to keep looking for more cool stuff. When I tuned back five minutes or so later, the weird Hail Mary loop was still going on.

My Catholic-fu is weak, but is it normal to have a mass or whatever where you just repeat the same prayer for 30+ minutes? It sounded like a live transmission, but it might have been a recorded loop of some kind. :iiam:

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Comrade Koba posted:

Alright, creepiest thing so far tonight:

At 13465Khz (if I remember correctly), I tuned into some weird Catholic mass thingy. A priest (I assume) said the Hail Mary in latin, and what sounded like an assembled congregation in a church repeated it after him. This went on and on and on for at least 20 minutes, before I tuned over to keep looking for more cool stuff. When I tuned back five minutes or so later, the weird Hail Mary loop was still going on.

My Catholic-fu is weak, but is it normal to have a mass or whatever where you just repeat the same prayer for 30+ minutes? It sounded like a live transmission, but it might have been a recorded loop of some kind. :iiam:

This is called a rosary. Very common catholic practice, and monotonous as all holy gently caress. Part of why I'm not a catholic (besides the fact that I don't believe in god).

There are even catholic TV stations that broadcast rosaries for hours at a time. But this practice takes on a certain :tinfoil: :gonk: quality when broadcast over shortwave, where even the slightest change in the crackle is enough to make you paranoid.

Who needs drugs when you have a shortwave radio?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Comrade Koba, I posted this on June 26:

Nostratic posted:

Oh God, it sounds like a congregation of young, brainwashed girls saying the Rosary, over and over, FOR 20 MINUTES STRAIGHT so far.

I'm deeply disturbed, and yet I can't... change... the frequency... :cry:

Creepiest thing I've heard so far, by a long shot.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

AstroZamboni posted:

This is called a rosary. Very common catholic practice, and monotonous as all holy gently caress. Part of why I'm not a catholic (besides the fact that I don't believe in god).

There are even catholic TV stations that broadcast rosaries for hours at a time. But this practice takes on a certain :tinfoil: :gonk: quality when broadcast over shortwave, where even the slightest change in the crackle is enough to make you paranoid.

It's actually not supposed to be monotonous, since those who really know what they are doing are meditating on a sequence of "mysteries" (specific biblical passages or events, tied with a certain virtue) while saying the rosary, a different mystery for each sequence of 10 hail marys/one our father. So the recitation of the prayer is almost like a mantra, like a Buddhist "Ohm", and not really the focus of the ritual itself. It's a strangely Zen practice for Catholicism, which is why I find it so interesting. Take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosary if you care.

Which is why group rosary praying makes so much sense, and broadcasts of the same, in the same way group meditation makes sense.

Of course, kids growing up today as Catholics tend to just learn "recite 10 Hail Marys" and not the rest of it, so to most folks it's mindless boring repetition. But that's why you see old women or people in Church, especially Roman, doing it with such furious concentration. They're actually doing it the way you are supposed to.

Long aside, but it makes the rosary broadcasts make more sense. Of course, it also can make it more creepy, depending on your viewpoint. Just picture a huge group of people, all crowded together in a dark church in Italy, sweating and rolling those beads around in their hands while concentrating on "2. The Scourging at the Pillar. Fruit of the Mystery: Purity"

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I never thought to ask that about the Rosary; I always just assumed it was a sort of chant or some such and never really attributed anything to it beyond the actual words. Very cool.

Also, I'm going to re-revise my statement about this loop antenna. I've been twiddling it on and off all day, and god drat. I'm picking up some faint, FAINT stuff with it that the radio wouldn't even know existed without it. Seriously bad-rear end. Now to paint it evil black.

Also, this guy on 15825 is making GBS threads his pants in the light of the lord. Wheeee!

Diamond Frogs Sucks

overflow
Dec 20, 2001

Nostratic posted:

I never thought to ask that about the Rosary; I always just assumed it was a sort of chant or some such and never really attributed anything to it beyond the actual words. Very cool.

Also, I'm going to re-revise my statement about this loop antenna. I've been twiddling it on and off all day, and god drat. I'm picking up some faint, FAINT stuff with it that the radio wouldn't even know existed without it. Seriously bad-rear end. Now to paint it evil black.

Also, this guy on 15825 is making GBS threads his pants in the light of the lord. Wheeee!

Yep. The more I use it, I'm finding the trick is to find what you want to listen to using the whip or random wire, then plug in the loop and tune it to the right frequency. On my signal meter (using a faint signal as example) I will jump from no signal to S5 or S6 easily. I still plan to make a YouTube clip of it in action, but I've had T-Storms here for a week and half straight and it's killing my reception. I still need to fine tweak the capacitors, but mine as is tunes 5000kHz-27000khz great.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Are you using multiple capacitors? If so, how are they hooked up? (Diagrams are a plus for this wiring-retarded builder).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Nostratic posted:

I think I just found the name of the new bluegrass instrumental I've been composing. "making GBS threads my Pants in the Light of the Lord"

• Locked thread