Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006
Are Sidi boots considered the top of the line? Boots are probably the next thing I need to upgrade. Not really sure whether I want to look into Sidi, Alpinestars or Oxtar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roger Ramya
Jan 10, 2007
This just came in the mail for me:

I got it on special from the U.S. for a quarter of what I would've paid in Australia.

Roger Ramya fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 22, 2007

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

iroc_dis posted:

Are Sidi boots considered the top of the line? Boots are probably the next thing I need to upgrade. Not really sure whether I want to look into Sidi, Alpinestars or Oxtar

I'd wear any of the 3. Look at the features on the boots, find out what's the most comfortable and buy that. For me, i look at the ankle protection/anti torsion systems and how they protect your shin and heels/toes. I wouldn't worry about brand X over brand Y, as long as they're one of the big ones.

Roger, link is brokened.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
I really love my Alpinestar SMX-4 boots.

I recently was in an accident with a car and my boot really protected my foot and shin well. The leather got torn a bit so I bought an identical pair of boots and I'm wearing them now.
I've never had a different pair of boots though.

As for the visor argument, I have a Scorpion EXO-700 so it takes about 30 seconds to swap visors. I ride to work with my tinted visor on and then when I leave it's usually dark so I swap over my clear visor. I always wear a backpack so I carry aroudn the extra visor in my pack. Most importantly, to keep it from getting scratched I use this visor protector: http://tinyurl.com/28hwah

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006
I only started to think a bit more seriously about upgrading from my old Alpinestars GPS3s after seeing a local guy have his right foot smashed all to poo poo in a freak accident. He was wearing seemingly nice Teknic boots but I guess they didn't help much.

On the grand scale of things, this is how I imagine the comparison goes:
Alpinestars Supertech - Sidi Vertigo Corsa
SMX Plus - regular Vertigo - Oxtar TCS Evo RX
SMX-R - B-2

I'm sortof leaning towards the Oxtar TCS Evo RX replica, problem is that no where on loving earth apparently carries the drat thing so there isn't any "trying it on"

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Juneau posted:

Anyone who has ever received a package through USPS knows that the box WILL look like it's been thrown, dropped, kicked, and run over by the truck a few times. :argh: I'm mostly pissed because I was so excited about coming home to my helmet today...

/rantoff

EDIT: grammar

No, this is fault of the shipper. I don't care what you ship if you can't drop it from waist high, it's not properly packed. As for the condition of the box, I still blame the shipper. That's a nasty, beaten, hurt box to begin with.

If you want a company that will reliably destroy packages, I offer up UPS. The USPS typically gets my packages both to me, and to recipients in good shape. EVERY SINGLE UPS package I've gotten has had some kind of serious abuse marks on it, if not signs of being folded, spindled or mutilated. (I've gotten boxes that were ripped apart through UPS..)

Uthor posted:

I don't wear my leather pants when I ride into work and I don't think I'm going to start soon. As a consiquence, I don't ride into work that often. I was looking at some knee armor to wear under my jeans and it's shocking affordable. Any opinions on this stuff?

Alpinestars Reflex Knee Guards

That's what I wear when I'm not wearing my road boots. The knee guards and boots conflict.

Lawn
Jan 15, 2004

Positive Paul!
I don't think this is unreasonable, but I'm looking for an all-weather jacket. I live in San Diego, so the temperature ranges from 40 to 90 at worst. Generally it doesn't go too far from a lovely 70 degrees, but my current leather jacket has almost no ventilation and still manages to keep me freezing my balls off during winter. I really like Rev'It's stuff, but they're hard to find and expensive. Any other suggestions as for what to look for?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

My leather jacket isn't vented and came with a zip-in quilted lining. That combined with a long sleeve shirt and undershirt have kept me warm in sub 10oC weather. Layering is more important than the shell I think.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Uthor posted:

Seeing how everybody was against me getting just knee armor, does anyone have an opinion on Joe Rocket Phoenix 2.0 Mesh Overpants?
Those are the overpants that I use riding around MD in the summer and they breath really well, but I find the fit shifts a lot when I'm riding, I think because the inseam is short but the pants themselves are pretty long. When I'm sitting or standing they're fine but when I'm riding they hike up my legs to about halfway up my calves sometimes and look kinda dorky, but I'm wearing them for the knee armor and hip padding, not as much to look cool.

The fit is good and the pants are pretty comfy to stroll around in with the leg zippers undone and the velcro clasps at the ankles keeping them from flapping around. I've had one off in them (off the road into grass) and they held up well, but I won't be counting on them for a ton of abrasion resistance if I slide on anything but my butt/hips/knees on pavement.

They fit well with jeans underneath, are supercomfy if you just wear shorts underneath and I've never had a problem with the knee armor shifting off my knees so I'd buy them again, ymmv :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Lawn posted:

I don't think this is unreasonable, but I'm looking for an all-weather jacket. I live in San Diego, so the temperature ranges from 40 to 90 at worst. Generally it doesn't go too far from a lovely 70 degrees, but my current leather jacket has almost no ventilation and still manages to keep me freezing my balls off during winter. I really like Rev'It's stuff, but they're hard to find and expensive. Any other suggestions as for what to look for?

Fully perforated leathers, with a waterproof windbreaker to go over it. Textile or leather pants with the same setup. Of course, it doesn't exactly rain in san diego, so...:D Either way, when i was riding there i just used a nicely perforated jacket with the liner removed. Never had a real problem.

Swingline Savvy
Aug 10, 2005

Z3n posted:

Fully perforated leathers, with a waterproof windbreaker to go over it.

Rev'it just sent me a new rain suit to try that's pretty awesome. It's a thin membrane with holes cut out for your pucks, it's a 2-peice suit. I think retail's around $100 or so and it's well worth it so far. Rolls up into a tiny TINY package.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Lawn posted:

I wear my JR Blaster jacket for that temp range. I'm not a big fan of the elbow snaps, however (as I've said many, many times). The thing that makes that jacket work so well is that an entire panel can be removed from either side (you can see it in the pictures). Very cool in the heat. With the panels and liner in, it's fairly warm. The problem is that the panels are some sort of textile material and let in air, so you still get a cooling affect in your arms if the temperatures drop far enough (40-50 F gets uncomfortable for me, but I tend to be a little cold blooded), and I tend to wear long sleeve shirts or sweats. Wearing a wind breaker underneath would help that a lot.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Mapless posted:

Rev'it just sent me a new rain suit to try that's pretty awesome. It's a thin membrane with holes cut out for your pucks, it's a 2-peice suit. I think retail's around $100 or so and it's well worth it so far. Rolls up into a tiny TINY package.

Are you testing gear or something? You get this stuff for free?

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

iroc_dis posted:

On the grand scale of things, this is how I imagine the comparison goes:
Alpinestars Supertech - Sidi Vertigo Corsa
SMX Plus - regular Vertigo - Oxtar TCS Evo RX
SMX-R - B-2

I'm sortof leaning towards the Oxtar TCS Evo RX replica, problem is that no where on loving earth apparently carries the drat thing so there isn't any "trying it on"

I've got the Oxtar TCS Evo RX and I think they are pretty keen. Are the most expensive piece of gear I own (I wanted sparking toe sliders, so sue me). They are pretty great boots, real comfortable on the bike and not too bad walking either. I do think they run a little big though, mine are slightly bigger than I'd like, I just make up for it with thick socks.

Swingline Savvy
Aug 10, 2005

n8r posted:

Are you testing gear or something? You get this stuff for free?

Sometimes, just depends on who it is and what's going on.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Any opinions or experience with armored shirts, like this: http://www.bohnski.com/catalog/proddetail.php?prod=BGCRBH/Y

Seems like that just may be the thing to wear in hot weather if it does indeed protect.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Retarded Pimp posted:

Any opinions or experience with armored shirts, like this: http://www.bohnski.com/catalog/proddetail.php?prod=BGCRBH/Y
No, but this is the first thing I thought of:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Retarded Pimp posted:

Seems like that just may be the thing to wear in hot weather if it does indeed protect.

They're best when you don't have to worry about lots of abrasion damage. Dirt bike riders use them since they don't have to worry about sliding down the asphalt. They do provide great impact protection from rocks, but at best the material that's holding the armor together is the same as a lightweight motorcycle mesh jacket. At worst they're a stretchy meshy material that's supposed to be worn under a jacket or jersey that dosen't have armor in it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Retarded Pimp posted:

I have a friend who wears one...I'm not very partial to mesh gear, myself, but it seems like it would protect fairly well in a low speed off. Certainly wouldn't stand up to a hardcore crash (50mph+) but would probably do just fine at surface street speeds.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
I'm looking to get a new pair of gloves since I lost one of mine at school today. Here's what I want:

Price: About $50.

Color: Black. Matches my car, helmet, bro's jacket, sneakers and some other things too I'm sure

Hard inserts for hand protection. Hands are important, I would like to make sure I still have them if I take a spill.

Gauntlet style is preferred because it is getting a bit chilly at night. I don't want winter gloves though, so they must have some breathability and preferably vent holes on the side of the finders. If the other criteria is met it may not necessarily have to be gauntlet style.

I have found the POWER TRIP Grand National gloves (who's name matches my car). The only two things I don't like is that they're not gauntlet style and the the dots on the palm.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
I'm actually looking for some similar gloves. My Shift ones (attached picture) leave a bit more wrist exposed on cold days like today.

And I would totally laugh you right off your motorcycle if your gloves didn't match your jacket and helmet. I mean, c'mon, fashion first, right?

:colbert:

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Fantastipotamus posted:

I'm actually looking for some similar gloves. My Shift ones (attached picture) leave a bit more wrist exposed on cold days like today.

And I would totally laugh you right off your motorcycle if your gloves didn't match your jacket and helmet. I mean, c'mon, fashion first, right?

:colbert:

Well, they didn't have pink in man sizes so I'll have to settle for black :|

AdeptaCheese
Oct 14, 2003

Sovereign Swiss

Roger Ramya posted:

This just came in the mail for me:

I got it on special from the U.S. for a quarter of what I would've paid in Australia.

the downside is you can't use it on the road without an AS1698 sticker on it though

case
Mar 27, 2005

New Lid and Goggles

Shark SX1, great fit and free replacment cheek pads from manufacturer. Cheap Oakleys which were ex-display. Got a new jacket as well, Weise Airspin. ventilated mesh with basic CE armour.

Both are very comfy in warm weather, the lid is just perfect - a much better fit than the Shoei in the post above.

edit: Forgot I also picked up some Alpinestars SP2 gloves, great fit and should keep my hands attached should the worst happen.

double edit: Oxtar boots are pretty awesome for the price. Picked up some TCX comp on closeout, they do run a little large though.

case fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Sep 13, 2007

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

I just ordered a pair of these from https://www.ridersdiscount.com. They're Joe Rocket "Stage One" textile pants. I like them because they don't look like snowpants, which is what most of the other all-black pants I'd seen ended up looking like. :(

Still mulling gloves though, so we'll see.

Cuchulainn
May 19, 2007
It's like hide and seek, only with guns.

iroc_dis posted:

Depends on what country you're in. Oxtars and Sidis are more popular in Europe than in the US, but they're all very good. I've owned Oxtar and Alpinestars (and worn and tried on basically everything else), but give Alpinestars the edge.

23reasons
Mar 23, 2006

Sha Clack Clack
Can anyone offer an opinion on armoured shirts, such as this: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motorcycle-armor/velocity-gear/juggernaut.htm

The review there is very positive, and I tend to trust their opinion, but I was wondering if anyone has any personal experiance with them?

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Fantastipotamus posted:

I just ordered a pair of these from https://www.ridersdiscount.com. They're Joe Rocket "Stage One" textile pants. I like them because they don't look like snowpants, which is what most of the other all-black pants I'd seen ended up looking like. :(

Still mulling gloves though, so we'll see.

I have a pair of those pants. They're actually quite nice. You'll have to get a zipper attached if you want to zip it up with your jacket though.

For gloves, get some Spidi's. Seriously the nicest gloves I've ever owned.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

23reasons posted:

Can anyone offer an opinion on armoured shirts, such as this: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motorcycle-armor/velocity-gear/juggernaut.htm

The review there is very positive, and I tend to trust their opinion, but I was wondering if anyone has any personal experiance with them?

This kind of armor works great when paired with something that has high abrasion resistance. This armor is designed to help prevent impact injuries and while if you were to fly off the bike and into a tree this type of armor would help more than say an armorless Vanson jacket this armor will quickly fall apart if you're sliding down the road. It's designed to hug your body tightly and to do that it often uses some sort of lycra or other thin stretchy material. This material is not abrasion resistance and will just fall apart if you end up sliding or tumbling down asphalt.

Most of the riders who use this type of armor are riding off road where abrasion resistance is less of a concern than falling on rocks, trees, etc.

The ones that I've used are the 661 pressure suit and it's a nice set of armor but I would not wear it for street protection.

I've known a couple of people who like this as well: http://www.rockymoto.com/thor_7_impact_rig_page.htm

The 661 suit gets a bit warm if you're standing still for a while but it's pretty comfortable considering how many hard pieces of armor are on it.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Terminus Est posted:

I have a pair of those pants. They're actually quite nice. You'll have to get a zipper attached if you want to zip it up with your jacket though.

For gloves, get some Spidi's. Seriously the nicest gloves I've ever owned.
Cool, thanks for the recommendation, I'll check them out. :)

Yeah, I may look into a tailor, as I think my jacket should have the second half of the zipper attached. I hope.

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

Cuchulainn posted:

Depends on what country you're in. Oxtars and Sidis are more popular in Europe than in the US, but they're all very good. I've owned Oxtar and Alpinestars (and worn and tried on basically everything else), but give Alpinestars the edge.

What models from those brands have you worn? I liked how the SMX-R felt when I tried them on. That inner sock thing they have really felt like it would keep my ankle from snapping like a twig if I flew off

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

In preparation for my fall touring, I went to a local BMW dealer to check out their stocked Olympia gear. Olympia is positioning itself as a competitor to Aerostitch, though its stuff is Chinese-made instead of MADE IN THE U.S. OF A.

I considered getting an Aerostitch Roadcrafter suit, but I wasn't comfortable with ordering something that expensive without being able to try it on. Also, the wait times for some of their sizes/color combos can be long. So I figured I'd give this Olympia stuff a shot. I tried the Olympia AST and Ranger II pants.

It seems to be nice and rugged, with a waterproof Cordura outer layer and a windproof liner. Lots of vents all over, armored elbows/shoulders/back, and a bunch of big pockets. It's definitely a cold weather touring jacket. I was sweating from having it on for a couple of minutes. Sizes seemed to run a little small, so I wound up getting their large jacket and 36" pants.

I really wanted to get the neon yellow, but it was just too... too much. I think even if it were just "ordinary" bright yellow, I would have gone for it. For commuting, I will probably wear it with a hi-vis vest anyway.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I have finally accepted that my beloved scooter jacket is too small for me. When I bought it I remembered people saying that the jacket should feel a little tight. I interpreted that as a little small. Bad decision. I removed the patches from it and decided to transfer them to my Olympia AST. Since the AST is waterproof, I didn't want to sew the patches on.

I found a glue called Patch Attach that I was going to use until I read that it requires ironing at a cotton-level heat. That's dangerously close to the melting point of Cordura, so I instead went with an acetone-based fabric glue that MY GIRLFRIEND uses. It's called Fabri-Tac and it seems to work pretty fast. I scored the backs of the patches or pulled away the plastic lining when possible so the glue was connecting fabric to fabric. It became fairly dry in 15 minutes and should be fully set and wash-proof after a day.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

rope kid posted:

scooter jacket

Scooter jacket? What? Pics?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Scooter jacket? What? Pics?
It's an SX Appeal jacket. Unfortunately I don't think they sold very well and the manufacturer is just selling out its remaining stock now. Pretty cool jackets, but the zippers were all junk. No armor, but made of good leather and had a warm liner with extra padding on the shoulders and elbows.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

rope kid posted:

It's an SX Appeal jacket. Unfortunately I don't think they sold very well and the manufacturer is just selling out its remaining stock now. Pretty cool jackets, but the zippers were all junk. No armor, but made of good leather and had a warm liner with extra padding on the shoulders and elbows.

Shame about the zippers, but at $170 (according to their site) it's not too bad. I hadn't heard of SX Appeal; I was think you might've gotten something from Corazzo (http://corazzo.net/).

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

NO ONE has these Joe rocket pants, which is really unfortunate, because I really like them. :(

Apparently they've been discontinued, and I've tried 5 places now, and no one seems to have them. I've got two more places, then I'm giving up.

Why do so many motorcycle pants have to look like they're either emo-tight with huge knees or solid black could double as snowpants. *sigh*

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
I'm really enjoying the used pair of Lee Parks Design gloves that I picked up. The leather is cotton soft and they feel more like some sort of old driving glove rather than a motorcycle gauntlet. They're very light and I feel the controls of the bike more clearly than ever. They are so light compared to the other gloves I've had that they feel like they're not even there by comparison.

They do lack all forms of impact protection, but after riding around and crashing in the dirt many times in my Alpinstar SP-2 gloves I've come to the conclusion that impact protection in gloves is a bit of overkill, and the carbon fiber knuckle guards are more of a hazard than they're worth.

My only complaints are that if worn without a jacket the sharp velcro sticks out under the seam of the gauntlet and it scratches. The velcro of the two straps also catch on each other when I stuff them into my helmet or bag. There is quite a bit of black grime and such on the deer skin from the previous owner, but that just seem the nature of these.

http://www.leeparksdesign.com/

Griffon
May 14, 2003

Can anyone recommend a good online distributor of jackets for Canada?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Griffon posted:

Can anyone recommend a good online distributor of jackets for Canada?

newenough.com will ship to Canada - this is a fairly recent change, within the past couple of months

rope kid, didn't you order a 'stich after your trip to Wisconsin last year? I would've sworn I remember you posting about ordering one and having it expedited because you got soaked/etc. on the way up and wanted it for the ride back.

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 27, 2007