Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TJO
Aug 14, 2006

I had a funny feeling in my gut.
I really need my hit, it's been too long since he updated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Refried Hero
Jan 22, 2006

King of the grill

Well, you're all in luck then -

NEW STRIP IS UP

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Aw Belkar got deserted by his best friend :(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Seeing Belkar actually hurt is so heartbreaking. :(

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
This is as good a point as any to have a cliffhangar. We're not in the middle of any action, and while the Order's future is up in the air, no one is directly in the crosshairs and Rich has completed the seige story-arc.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

A.o.D. posted:

This is as good a point as any to have a cliffhangar. We're not in the middle of any action, and while the Order's future is up in the air, no one is directly in the crosshairs and Rich has completed the seige story-arc.
The previous endings have made deliberate references to it being the end.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0120.html
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0300.html

I don't think this one lines up with them.

GigaPeon fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Aug 24, 2007

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I'd think that after making two "It's a splash page!" jokes, he wouldn't do any more, but I guess we can wait and see.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

The Werle posted:

Could this be the start of Burlew's two week or more hiatus? I can't imagine the current cliffhanger is how he wants to end the next collection, but its been quite a few days since we've seen a strip.

Irony can be pret-ty i-ronic sometimes...

Erfworld: I really with they'd just gone straight with the Erfworld art, because the cutesy cartoony look really kills the sense of dramatic tension they're going for.

OOTS: I agree that this isn't the endpoint yet. It's an endpoint; Elan's group is pretty much out of the game now. I figure that the next two or three strips will have Haley and Belkar trying to excape from the city; the cliffhanger ending will have them run into some kind of secret tunnel just before it collapses.

Incidentally, we still have time for Zombie Roy to happen. Maybe Haley is wounded and drops Roy.

And I'm still putting in a plug for "Roy and Miko get freaky in the afterlife, leading to hilarious confusion when they resurrect him".

Robot Bastard fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 24, 2007

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Robot Bastard posted:

And I'm still putting in a plug for "Roy and Miko get freaky in the afterlife, leading to hilarious confusion when they resurrect him".

Very, very unlikely.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I'm sure Roy and Miko will meet in the afterlife, but I don't think it's going to lead to hooking up.
It'll probably be a wordy apology from Miko, after finally having gotten it through her head why she was wrong.

Also, I'm assuming he'd meet up with his dead dad.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
Its gonna take the rest of the order a long time to collect all those dragonballs and resurrect Roy anyway.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Werle posted:

Its gonna take the rest of the order a long time to collect all those dragonballs and resurrect Roy anyway.

I was gonna say something about Xykon and Redcloak trying to use them to become immortal but they both sorta are already, so...quiet, you.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
New comic!

Manyorcas fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 27, 2007

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What's that item Xykon is using? I don't recognize it and google isn't helping me.

Iggy Johnson
Mar 11, 2007

It doesn't work if you beg.
Haha. "Shut up, dad." So simple and yet so great. At least we now have some 'closure' on Roy's death. Great little cliffhangers here...

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
Belkar has so much faith in Varsuuvius.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Sept 17th! Its torture I tells ya!

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb

The Werle posted:

Sept 17th! Its torture I tells ya!

Sept 17th, thats not that far away. The comic is really good, but I'd rather him rest up, get healthy and be able to out out as much as he wants/can hopefully on a consistent schedule. He shouldn't rush himself or anything.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

bgaesop posted:

What's that item Xykon is using? I don't recognize it and google isn't helping me.

My friend theorizes that the headband was the one Durokan wore, and that cloister is the command word to activate it. That said it could be a made-up spell effect.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

I'm trying to figure out what the spell was supposed to have done. Did it start putting out the fires, or did it do something in relation to what Xykon was saying and cut Azure City off from prying eyes or something.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yeah, I also could not see a change.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Given that Haley is counting on Durkon to magically contact her, and Xykon says he just took the city off the grid, my guess is that he just cut off the city from all magical contact.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

The Werle posted:

I'm trying to figure out what the spell was supposed to have done. Did it start putting out the fires, or did it do something in relation to what Xykon was saying and cut Azure City off from prying eyes or something.

I am pretty sure that it's a spell like sequester on a larger scale, so yeah. Separates the city from everything

LuchadoresDelNixon
Feb 7, 2007

Moonbase Alpha provides a realistic simulation of life on a natural satellite
It didn't stop the fires from burning; the yellow shimmery-ness was just "magic-effects."

I suspect the word or effect "cloister" was what Dorukan used to seclude himself away in the Redmountain Gate. And since cloister means confinement, I'd say Azure City isn't just invisible to magic, but invisible to anyone not in it.

Which might make it touch for anyone to see Haley and Belkar when a whole city disappears.
e: drat YOU BALDWIN

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

bgaesop posted:

A 'Cloister' can refer to any sort of closed-off section, but it usually used in reference to a place of prayer in a monastery, where the monks could not be disturbed during prayer.

My guess is that it shuts off all magical contact, like scrying eyes or communication spells. It makes sense that someone wouldn't want anyone spying on Azure City, so they would make something for that.

Yeah, it's a bit of a wait, but I can wait until he gets better. Best of luck to Mr. Burlew! I hope he recovers quickly.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

At first I thought the hiatus was going to be torture, but sep 17th isn't too bad. I mean, I suppose out of boredom we could get into arguments over pedantic poo poo but since we do that already it shouldn't be an issue.

Jeet
Jul 12, 2001

Voted that this thread carries on for now but a new one is started for the "new series".

A great end to the storyline with that sort of "midway" feel that you get from the end of Empire Strikes back.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Jeet posted:

Voted that this thread carries on for now but a new one is started for the "new series".

A great end to the storyline with that sort of "midway" feel that you get from the end of Empire Strikes back.

The Order of the Stick: Back on the Grid

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

So I was rereading the commentary in "No Cure for the Paladin Blues" today, and in the closing statements, he mentions plans for two more original, non-online books, Start of Darkness being the first. And despite Rich's health announcement of no new projects, he says to still expect a new book in the future, aside from the online compilations.

So I was thinking, what could a new side book cover? He's already got the origin of the PCs and the villians. My prediction: A book about the adventures of the Order of the Scribble. Seems like a good fit, since they were the PCs in the previous campaign, after all, and the entire current plot is based off of their story.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

the_steve posted:

The Order of the Stick: Back on the Grid

The Order of the Stick: Elven, All Too Elven

Willie McCoy
Oct 22, 2005
looking for the king of 42nd St...
Maybe the Origin of the Linear Guild. I'm waiting for my shop to get OOTPCs so I haven't read it yet and I don't know if or how much Nale is covered in that, but I'd like to see more about his early life.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Willie McCoy posted:

Maybe the Origin of the Linear Guild. I'm waiting for my shop to get OOTPCs so I haven't read it yet and I don't know if or how much Nale is covered in that, but I'd like to see more about his early life.

If you mean Origin of the PC's then the Linear Guild doesn't show up at all. It's more about how the order all met and whatnot.

I actually would like to see more of the LG, as according to Burlew Nale is even crazier than Xykon.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

SuperKlaus posted:

The Order of the Stick: Elven, All Too Elven

Someone reading Sci-Fi lately?

The Order of the Stick: Saving Ranger Bitterleaf...

Nah, too long of a last name.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Cooking with the shoeless god of war.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

J.A.B.C. posted:

Someone reading Sci-Fi lately?

The Order of the Stick: Saving Ranger Bitterleaf...

Nah, too long of a last name.

The Order of the Stick: Order Harder

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
The Order of the Stick: Are all dead.

Then someone can draw a stick figure Elan as Shockwave, using rapier calligraphy to etch it into a wall. Or maybe just photoshop the OOTS logo where the Transformers logo wold have been on the original comic cover.

Ok, so only hardcore Transformer fans would get it.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
The Order Of The Stick: Banjo's Revenge

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
The Order of the Stick: Now Leaving Azure City

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head with an iron boot?
Order of the Stick: Stick it where the sun don't shine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tag Plastic
Jun 10, 2006

Not organic.

NutShellBill posted:

The Order of the Stick: Are all dead.

Then someone can draw a stick figure Elan as Shockwave, using rapier calligraphy to etch it into a wall. Or maybe just photoshop the OOTS logo where the Transformers logo wold have been on the original comic cover.

Ok, so only hardcore Transformer fans would get it.

Surely Xykon should take Shockwave's place and wait I'm such a loving nerd I get this referenekjahfl :suicide:

Order of the Stick: 5 foot step forward, double move back