Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

Martytoof posted:

I need to start submitting badass Hockey myths for them to bust.

Such as...

I'm sure they could do something awesome with pig bodies and the Clint Malarchuk/Rene Bourque neck-slicing thing. But if they did, I would make absolutely certain not to watch that episode of Mythbusters, because the Malarchuk video is the most chilling thing I have ever, ever seen. Why does it always happen to goalies?

And there are no words for how much I hate Danny Forster, the host of Build It Bigger. Seriously, could they have found a bigger spaz? Even if he weren't the most horrible host on the entire channel, why did they get an architect to host a show that's primarily engineering? That's like getting a painter to host a show on physics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

McGravin posted:

the Malarchuk video is the most chilling thing I have ever, ever seen. Why does it always happen to goalies?

As a goalie, I've only ever been able to watch it once. It makes me :smith:

quote:

And there are no words for how much I hate Danny Forster, the host of Build It Bigger. Seriously, could they have found a bigger spaz? Even if he weren't the most horrible host on the entire channel, why did they get an architect to host a show that's primarily engineering? That's like getting a painter to host a show on physics.

They could have gotten that guy from Lost Cities of the Underworld. That guy, yeah, he's pretty loving spazzy himself. CALM DOWN SUNSHINE!

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Martytoof posted:

I need to start submitting badass Hockey myths for them to bust.

Such as...

To be honest I thought the football one was pretty interesting. The way if a football is any heavier or lighter it wont travel as far. I would love to see the myth busters do a episode on sports that concentrated on the actual physics of how things work and how far Science has advanced types of sports and sports gear.

Though on the base ball one I don’t understand why they slowed down before they hit the base, I thought the point of running over the base was doing it at full speed even if it took you passed the base? Any baseball person care to enlighten me on this?

As for the sliding thing I never thought it was to get a boost of speed but to instead present a much lower profile forcing the catcher to lower his arm and hopefully stealing in the small amount of time it takes him to move there, or forcing him to move back in fear of being crashed into.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Darth Freddy posted:

Though on the base ball one I don’t understand why they slowed down before they hit the base, I thought the point of running over the base was doing it at full speed even if it took you passed the base? Any baseball person care to enlighten me on this?

I'm obviously clueless as far as baseball rules go, but I guess you actually have to be ON the base when you get tagged to be safe, otherwise you're out, so you risk being tagged out since your momentum makes it impossible to stop on a dime (er, base) without slowing down.

Honestly, I thought that whole Roger Clemens bit about "is it really dropping or is it an optical illusion" was about as weak a 'myth' as you can get, and obviously just an excuse to get The Rocket on the show. The mechanics behind the ball rotation was interesting, but not enough for a whole bit on it. "Busting" that myth would involve taking any game footage and slowing it down.

Though I am complaining an awful lot about something that doesn't really matter, and in the end it was an enjoyable show despite me not caring about Baseball in the least :toot:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 14, 2007

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Martytoof posted:

I don't really get much of a "hamming it up for the camera" from Grant or Tori, but that could easily be because Kari is tipping the scales.

Completely agree on just letting them bullshit. It would be so much better. I'm not particularly great friends with my coworkers, but even we banter about what we do -- if there was a TV show about software development, I'd be a loving star.

I'm looking forward to the new viewer myth special, but to be completely honest I'm pretty sick of these "specials". Every other show I catch is either Myths Revisited or XYZ Special.

There has to be at least enough interesting myths left for one season of non-gimmick episodes :(

Grant not so much because he hardly talks except to provide some scientific facts, but every so often, Tori will launch into a "DUDE, DID YOU SEE WHEN (X) HAPPENED? THAT WAS SO AWESOME!" that just makes me cringe.

I also agree about the specials, though I think it's a symptom of something I've noticed Discovery has a bad habit of doing: putting a spotlight on one particular show at the expense of everything else on the network. For about two months, if you turned on Discovery, they were running nearly 24-hour Deadliest Catch marathons every day and certainly every weekend.

Now they're doing the same thing with Dirty Jobs. I understand striking while the iron's hot and all, but you don't need to turn Discovery into an all-day every-day advertisement for a certain show just to promote it.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Yeah, and they just about shut down Man vs. Wild for 6 months between January and June of this year. I couldn't configure my Tivo to record it because there weren't any scheduled episodes for huge swathes of time.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Honestly, I thought that whole Roger Clemens bit about "is it really dropping or is it an optical illusion" was about as weak a 'myth' as you can get, and obviously just an excuse to get The Rocket on the show. The mechanics behind the ball rotation was interesting, but not enough for a whole bit on it. "Busting" that myth would involve taking any game footage and slowing it down.

Oddly enough, I heard some local sports talk radio hosts mention the myth a couple of days before the show aired. It's common sense to anyone who understands the physics of how pitches work, but I guess some people think curveballs just drop like a normal projectile because they move slower or something.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
I don’t know if it’s the lighting or the camera angles but jesus christ Adam is looking old right now.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Darth Freddy posted:

I don’t know if it’s the lighting or the camera angles but jesus christ Adam is looking old right now.
I thought the same thing - especially when he removed his hat.

This viewers special is actually pretty good. That sound the CRV made when he tried to slam it into reverse at 50 was horrible (and hilarious).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Okay, sorry guys, but that was pretty lame. Can we please stick to two good myths per episode instead of rushing to do 30 lovely two minute segments?

The cars in reverse was pretty okay and cigarette butts was decent, but the whole show was really bland forgettable.

My "viewer suggestion" is "stop doing lovely gimmick shows".

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 16, 2007

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

Well then start sending them ideas, ten to one they are suffering from the same thing as Dirty Jobs and are just running out of things to do.

Though I do wish they would redo the catching an arrow myth since it has been done several times for people like Ripplys Believe it or not and the world book of records thing.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

They have some good material on the fansite, they just seem to be picking stuff like "hey blow up my parent's car".

Part of what got me into Mythbusters was long drawn out myths with elaborate contraptions and mini experiments along the way. They just seem to have gotten away from that for a few episodes. I'm not railing on the entire show, just these specials that seem to crop up more and more. And honestly, even those wouldn't be so bad if they were done right. Hollywood myths was pretty good, and I'm pretty sure there were a few others that I just can't think of right now.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 16, 2007

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Is there any word on new episodes of "I Shouldn't Be Alive" coming out/being made. I did a quick look on wikipedia and the official site with no indication. I miss "survival friday." Man Vs. Wild, I Shouldn't Be Alive, and Deadliest Catch...a winning combo!!

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Is it just me or does Mythbusters feel like it lasts ten minutes these days? There just seems to be very little content and lots of presentation.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
Anyone know what the deal is with the [This Program is also available in HD] notice at the bottom during the opening title sequence to Mythbusters tonight? I went and checked out Discovery HD theater, but it sure as heck wasn't a simultaneous HD broadcast. I was under the impression Mythbusters wasn't going to go HD because they kept blowing up cameras, or having to use smaller cameras or high speed ones that don't come in HD.

EDIT: Okay while browsing around I just noticed on EngadgetHD that Discovery launched their new HD simulcast channel. Can anyone confirm Mythbusters was airing in real HD and not upscaled TNTHD style? (The channel is only on Dish, which is why I didn't notice on my DirecTV hookup. :argh: They better launch that channel quick, Mythbusters should be AMAZING in real HD.)

El_Matarife fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Aug 16, 2007

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

J33uk posted:

Is it just me or does Mythbusters feel like it lasts ten minutes these days? There just seems to be very little content and lots of presentation.

That's been the case since late season 2.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I am really very over Mythbusters. I still watch it, but half the time I fall asleep halfway through and watch the other half the next day. That's not really the sign of an exciting show.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I'm pretty sure the same issue with Bullshit is affecting Mythbusters. The juicy topics have run dry and they're working on topics that just don't have as much of a draw and have even less depth in terms of physics or science behind them.

Firing cigarette butts from a gun?

I don't really want them to stop as I still enjoy a setup here or there. The Hindenburg one was just amazing and extremely compelling throughout. I'd rather they just comb through Snopes and find as many legends as possible that they haven't tackled yet. Take a half year off or something.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

El_Matarife posted:

Mythbusters should be AMAZING in real HD.)

Yeah, it really is. I'll be watching this channel a lot more now.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

Ok, this Lobster Wars show is terrible and I really wish they'd stop trying to capitalize off of the success of Deadliest Catch by creating 5 different lovely spin-offs. This is the same thing that caused the station to tank a few years ago; they had a few successes with shows like Monster Garage and American Choppers so they decided to turn the station into the loving auto channel and lost most of their viewers.

It seems like they're just getting lazy now, though it might just be a lull in the programming. I'm sure there are plenty of ideas out there for awesome new shows, and if they used the originality it took to create shows like Dirty Jobs in the first place I'm positive they could produce a couple other hits that they could put into the rotation to spice things up. Hell, if they just went back to their roots and starting showing stuff about space and poo poo again I would probably leave the channel on non-stop.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Ogresmash posted:

Ok, this Lobster Wars show is terrible and I really wish they'd stop trying to capitalize off of the success of Deadliest Catch by creating 5 different lovely spin-offs. This is the same thing that caused the station to tank a few years ago; they had a few successes with shows like Monster Garage and American Choppers so they decided to turn the station into the loving auto channel and lost most of their viewers.
"Lobster Wars" would be way cooler if the name were literal. Like lobsters fighting on the ocean floor with swords and guns and little lobster tanks.

The latest Survivorman, the one in the Amazon jungle, was pretty good, but I have a question: did he make it for all 7 days? It seemed like his run from the jaguar happened on like the 5th or 6th night.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I really think all the Discovery channel type shows that do gimmick episodes shouldn't, and the ones that don't should. Just think of it - What Not to Wear: Mogadishu edition. Flip This/That/the Other House: Fallujah edition. Man vs Wild: Mall of America.

These are good ideas and Discovery should give me money.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

McGravin posted:

"Lobster Wars" would be way cooler if the name were literal. Like lobsters fighting on the ocean floor with swords and guns and little lobster tanks.

The latest Survivorman, the one in the Amazon jungle, was pretty good, but I have a question: did he make it for all 7 days? It seemed like his run from the jaguar happened on like the 5th or 6th night.

I think it was the 6th night.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

IRQ posted:

Man vs Wild: Mall of America.

Throw zombies in there and I'm sold.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

IRQ posted:

Man vs Wild: Mall of America.

"If you should find yourself in a Hot Topic, you must act quickly. Your initial reaction will be shock, but it is important to keep focused. The only way to show it to you is for me to go in."

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002

Dr Tran posted:

Yeah, it really is. I'll be watching this channel a lot more now.

So it isn't upscaled, they now shoot it in HD? drat, DirecTV needs to turn on their new bird NOW, I must have HD Mythbusters.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Grandpa Pap posted:

Throw zombies in there and I'm sold.

You can see down by the Baby Gap there's a two week old zombie there. He looks ferocious but could be a great source of protein. When you're stuck in a second rate mall, trying to capture a zombie is a risk at best but there are precious few sources of food now that the Sbarro has been closed so I'll have to make do.
Mmm, that's not half bad. Say's his name was Chuck.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
"I need to get to high ground...Now that I've made it to high ground I can see Lego Land. But I have to make through Camp Snoopy (I will not call it Park at the Mall). Three years ago a couple was in Camp Snoopy. They went on the Paul Bunyan Log Flume but didn't realize they had to hold on. They both fell to their deaths."

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

The devourer of worlds demands a Moon Pie to satiate his hunger!

Martytoof posted:

"If you should find yourself in a Hot Topic, you must act quickly. Your initial reaction will be shock, but it is important to keep focused. The only way to show it to you is for me to go in."

I imagine that a Man vs. Wild episode about the Mall of America would play out like the John Hodgman bit about the mall from his book.

"I call the mall's PR people to ask why they are exiling the Egyptians and also to ask about the secret tunnel I found that leads from Camp Snoopy to Pottery Barn and is lined with human skulls. This is when the Mall of America stops returning my calls. This happens sometimes when professional journalists ask the wrong questions. I'm frozen out. From here on, I'm going rogue."

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Well, Mythbusters was sort of interesting I suppose. The bull stuff was pretty dull tho

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!
Has anyone been watching Blue Planet?

It's from the makers of Planet Earth... but focuses on the sea. So far I only watched the "Frozen Seas" episode, which looked at the Arctic Ocean and Antarctica. It was pretty interesting, focused mostly on polar bears/seals/whales/penguins. The different episodes go to different parts of the world/ocean though, kinda like Planet Earth.

The penguins were pretty awesome, especially at one part where a leopard seal pokes his head up while they're on land and everyone freaks out.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

J33uk posted:

Well, Mythbusters was sort of interesting I suppose. The bull stuff was pretty dull tho

Yea but Adam is really showing his age.

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???

Deltron 3030 posted:

It's from the makers of Planet Earth... but focuses on the sea. So far I only watched the "Frozen Seas" episode, which looked at the Arctic Ocean and Antarctica. It was pretty interesting, focused mostly on polar bears/seals/whales/penguins. The different episodes go to different parts of the world/ocean though, kinda like Planet Earth.

The penguins were pretty awesome, especially at one part where a leopard seal pokes his head up while they're on land and everyone freaks out.

The Deep Sea episode was really good and showed a lot of surreal stuff

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Deltron 3030 posted:

It's from the makers of Planet Earth... but focuses on the sea.
It would be more accurate to say that Planet Earth is from the makers of Blue Planet.

Blue Planet was put out in 2001, and then they came back with HD cameras to make Planet Earth in 2006.

That's particularly interesting, since Planet Earth took over five years to film, which would seem to mean that as soon as they finished filming Blue Planet and before it even went to air, they were already out working on filming Planet Earth.

Edit: Also, they're actually broadcasting Blue Planet with the original David Attenborough narration. Thank god. I have no idea what gave them the idea to have Sigourney Weaver re-narrate Planet Earth.

McGravin fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 25, 2007

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!
So does the stuff they're airing now contain all the same footage from in 2001 or did they shoot new footage to go with the old?? Not that it really matters since I haven't seen it before, just wondering.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Wow. Discovery channel has started being massive faggots and added 24 hour timers to their shows through tivo.

Why the gently caress did I pay for a DVR when I can't actually use it?

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Deltron 3030 posted:

So does the stuff they're airing now contain all the same footage from in 2001 or did they shoot new footage to go with the old?? Not that it really matters since I haven't seen it before, just wondering.
It was re-cut into the feature-length theatrical presentation "Deep Blue", which I think was shown last week some time, but it was all footage that was already in one part or another of Blue Planet.

As far as I know, Blue Planet itself is unchanged, except for whatever formatting changes were necessary to adapt it from the BBC to American networks.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

IRQ posted:

Wow. Discovery channel has started being massive faggots and added 24 hour timers to their shows through tivo.

Why the gently caress did I pay for a DVR when I can't actually use it?

Wait, hang on -- what did they do exactly? I don't see anything wrong with my TiVo's Discovery, unless I'm just not looking at something right.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Martytoof posted:

Wait, hang on -- what did they do exactly? I don't see anything wrong with my TiVo's Discovery, unless I'm just not looking at something right.

Mythbusters, Going Tribal and Survivorman (the new episodes) have all had 24 hour copy protection on them for me this week.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 25, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

IRQ posted:

Mythbusters, Going Tribal and Survivorman (the new episodes) have all had 24 hour copy protection on them for me this week.

I wonder if thats why I dont have Dirty Jobs in my programs section. Even though I have comcast, I know I set it to record the episode, but when I went back to watch it tonight it was nowhere to be found.

• Locked thread