Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

SnatchRabbit posted:

I guess either one would be ok. Is it just easier to run a few programs with an emulator?

What programs do you want to run?

Also, WINE Is Not an Emulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Git
Aug 21, 2004

hk0 posted:

Of course you still have to map those extra buttons to useful things in your window manager :cheers:

Thanks for this. I now have Compiz effects bound to my extra mouse buttons. It's handy having the shift switcher available at a thumb-press.

In /dev/input I had events 0 through to 4. Catting them revealed that event2 was my mouse, but X would freeze upon my first mouse movement when using that. Instead, I ended up using /dev/input/mouse1.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Scaevolus posted:

What programs do you want to run?

Also, WINE Is Not an Emulator.

I guess some games and emulators that won't run in Linux (NullDC is one) as well as some other video encoders and junk that I've just gotten used to in Windows. I'd just like to have both OSes at my disposal without having to reboot.

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

SnatchRabbit posted:

I guess some games and emulators that won't run in Linux (NullDC is one) as well as some other video encoders and junk that I've just gotten used to in Windows. I'd just like to have both OSes at my disposal without having to reboot.

VMware doesn't support 3d acceleration in Windows, so you will not be able to play recent games. You should try Wine for this; many games work well with only a mild speed penalty. I would see how much you can get out of Wine before resorting to a full-blown VM. It is easier to integrate individual applications into your desktop with Wine.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

SnatchRabbit posted:

video encoders
All the best video encoders run on Linux, provided you're not afraid of the command line.

DMLou
May 17, 2004
Dragonmaster Lou
Is it just me, or does ATI's proprietary fgl Linux driver suck? Especially on a laptop.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

DMLou posted:

Is it just me, or does ATI's proprietary fgl Linux driver suck? Especially on a laptop.

Yes, it does. There's nothing you can do about it, either.

DMLou
May 17, 2004
Dragonmaster Lou

Zuph posted:

Yes, it does. There's nothing you can do about it, either.

Fortunately, it's just my work laptop, which I only use for editing code, writing email, etc. I can live without the crazy 3D eye candy, and the open source ATI driver works well enough for my purposes.

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

Scaevolus posted:

All the best video encoders run on Linux, provided you're not afraid of the command line.

This is not necessarily true. There is certainly no lack of video encoding tools, but almost all the fancy proprietary encoders (and some decoders) run on windows. If you are encoding to the most popular options of mpeg2, mpeg4, or h.264, afaik open source implementations, (libavcodec for the first two, x264 for the last), have performance and feature parity to the major proprietary ones. For newer and more exotic codecs however, support can be limited. There is currently no OSS encoder (any very limited decoding) of wmv9 (VC-1), for example.

In short, it takes a while for open source projects to catch up to new video codecs, especially when a lot of reverse-engineering is required. But where the software is mature, it is generally very good.

See http://mplayerhq.hu, http://ffmpeg.sf.net, http://www.videolan.org/developers/x264.html

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

thenameseli posted:

There is currently no OSS encoder (any very limited decoding) of wmv9 (VC-1), for example.
Yes, that was a reckless bit of hyperbole, but I don't really like VC-1. At least according to this, it's inferior to H.264, not to mention less widely supported.

Scaevolus fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Aug 30, 2007

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

DMLou posted:

It does, however I am posting this from Xgl + Compiz Fusion running on Averatec 2150 with the infamous Radeon Express 200M 5955. I can post configs and scripts, however every time I do that, thread lives for 3-5 messages, as if no one bothers to read it.

obsidian440
Apr 15, 2004

Don't question god's choices.

RoundsToZero posted:

Is the partition type 8e (LVM)?

No, it just says partition type "unknown". There is a tapedrive in the server, could it be that ?

obsidian440 fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 30, 2007

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

thenameseli posted:

VMware doesn't support 3d acceleration in Windows, so you will not be able to play recent games. You should try Wine for this; many games work well with only a mild speed penalty. I would see how much you can get out of Wine before resorting to a full-blown VM. It is easier to integrate individual applications into your desktop with Wine.

I think I'm going to try out VMWARE just for my own enrichment. Which specific product should I get?

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003

SnatchRabbit posted:

I think I'm going to try out VMWARE just for my own enrichment. Which specific product should I get?

The free VMWare Server. Or, if you just want to play around with pre-built appliances, VMWare Player.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Is it just me, or does The GIMP create an unnecessary amount of artifacting in JPEGs compared to e.g. Photoshop, when compressing to approx. the same file size?

DMLou
May 17, 2004
Dragonmaster Lou

teapot posted:

It does, however I am posting this from Xgl + Compiz Fusion running on Averatec 2150 with the infamous Radeon Express 200M 5955. I can post configs and scripts, however every time I do that, thread lives for 3-5 messages, as if no one bothers to read it.

Naa, it's okay. I don't need Compiz Fusion or anything like that (I mucked around with it on an Nvidia-based box before it died and actually felt the eye candy hurt my productivity). I'm mostly upset that it seems to be unstable as hell (computer locks up when I try to use either suspend or hibernate) and has this annoying habit of making the laptop's screen flicker like crazy. I switched back to the open source drivers and after some mucking around to get multihead working the way I liked it seems to be rock solid and fast enough in 2D mode for what I care about.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
drat, already hit a snag. I'm running Ubuntu, but for some reason I can't connect to any of my office's wireless networks. I can see the networks fine in the manager with good signal strength, but when I connect, it asks me for the passphrase, which I put in, then it just has the warning symbol in the network icon. I connect to the same network easily in my Vista dual boot, but no such luck in Ubuntu. Is there a way to check the driver? Not sure why I can't connect.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005
I FOR ONE WELCOME OUR NEW STUPID FUCKING CATCHPHRASE OVERLORDS

SnatchRabbit posted:

drat, already hit a snag. I'm running Ubuntu, but for some reason I can't connect to any of my office's wireless networks. I can see the networks fine in the manager with good signal strength, but when I connect, it asks me for the passphrase, which I put in, then it just has the warning symbol in the network icon. I connect to the same network easily in my Vista dual boot, but no such luck in Ubuntu. Is there a way to check the driver? Not sure why I can't connect.

What wireless chipset are you using? They are not all created equal.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Intel 945 it looks like. For now, I've been usi ing the wired ethernet. I'm trying to get my vmware installed but I'm kind of lost. I've dled the rpm file for linux but not sure how to install it via command line.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

SnatchRabbit posted:

Intel 945 it looks like. For now, I've been usi ing the wired ethernet. I'm trying to get my vmware installed but I'm kind of lost. I've dled the rpm file for linux but not sure how to install it via command line.

This is where google comes in handy. Most everything has been documented--

http://www.google.com/search?q=ubuntu+vmware posted:

HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server - Ubuntu ForumsHowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server Tutorials & Tips.
ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=183209

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I just want to point out that I am an idiot.

I never realized that you can use the SATA/PATA kernel drivers instead of the old IDE drivers, you don't need both. Since I have both IDE and SATA drives in my system, I always had both in my colonel. Now I have removed all the IDE junk and my old IDE drives show up as sda, sdb etc etc.

It has resolved a lot of weird issues with my SATA dvdr drive doing stupid things and driving me mad. Who knew.

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

Toiletbrush posted:

Is it just me, or does The GIMP create an unnecessary amount of artifacting in JPEGs compared to e.g. Photoshop, when compressing to approx. the same file size?

Do you have any example images? This seems unlikely, as I would think JPEG encoding has become trivial in the 13 years it has been an ISO standard.

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I just want to point out that I am an idiot.

I never realized that you can use the SATA/PATA kernel drivers instead of the old IDE drivers, you don't need both. Since I have both IDE and SATA drives in my system, I always had both in my colonel. Now I have removed all the IDE junk and my old IDE drives show up as sda, sdb etc etc.

It has resolved a lot of weird issues with my SATA dvdr drive doing stupid things and driving me mad. Who knew.

I don't think that makes you an idiot. It is quite understandable, since libata only recently started supporting PATA drives, and the current layout of the kernel config menu does not really make it clear that libata and "ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support" are different driver subsystems.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

thenameseli posted:

I don't think that makes you an idiot.

No, but this does:

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I always had both in my colonel.

Also, VMware does support 3D acceleration now, but only up to DX8 I believe. I still wouldn't use it to run recent games, but if you just need basic 3D acceleration it should work.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

SnatchRabbit posted:

code:
lspci |grep -i net
If it mentions Ralink, you need rutilt.

teapot fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 31, 2007

Borommakot
Jan 8, 2002
I've got ubuntu working with Compiz Fusion on a TwinView dual head display.

Is there any way to get UltraMon like capabilities for the dual head? Specifically, I want either a keyboard shortcut or a button to quickly move a window from one monitor to the other.

And while we're at it... anyway to get a separate task bar for the other monitor?

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Borommakot posted:

I've got ubuntu working with Compiz Fusion on a TwinView dual head display.

Is there any way to get UltraMon like capabilities for the dual head? Specifically, I want either a keyboard shortcut or a button to quickly move a window from one monitor to the other.
It depends on the window manager, probably can be done as a module for compiz.

quote:

And while we're at it... anyway to get a separate task bar for the other monitor?
I use two screens, so each of them has its own panel, however in this configuration windows are tied to screens and can't be moved across monitors. I use it because I often run media players on one screen and everything else on the other screen. I guess, you can use some desklets to provide similar functionality.

Edit: Also you can just create more panels and put them on the screen that originally did not have one.

teapot fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 31, 2007

Contero
Mar 28, 2004

I've had ubuntu on my laptop for about a week now and I've got to say, I've been very pleasantly surprised. I didn't expect to be using it more than windows. I wish I hadn't partitioned so much space for ntfs.

I finally figured out the package manager and got build-essentials and xemacs. I've been learning a lot about unix commands and bash shell and I've started writing some scripts.

I'm just a bit torn about what editor I want to use. xemacs is pretty harsh. Admittedly I haven't added anything or customized it save for trying to change the fonts around, but it seems like I would have to change a LOT and learn how to write lisp code to get it to the point where I could use it. I could be wrong but it's definitely not the kind of editor I'm used to.

I also brought up gedit and found it incredibly intuitive since I've been programming in visual studio for the last 5 years. Finding the right hilighting and changing tab options was a piece of cake.

I'm just wondering, which should I use? Should I tough it out with xemacs until I get used to it because it's a better editor, or should I use gedit because it's more similar to what I'm used to? If it's the former, what kind of things should I do to change xemacs to make it more usable?

Thanks for all the help so far in the thread. I'm really enjoying linux and I didn't expect to.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Contero posted:

I'm just wondering, which should I use? Should I tough it out with xemacs until I get used to it because it's a better editor, or should I use gedit because it's more similar to what I'm used to? If it's the former, what kind of things should I do to change xemacs to make it more usable?

Thanks for all the help so far in the thread. I'm really enjoying linux and I didn't expect to.
Use whatever you want, and better just learn both of them (and [g]vi[m], too). I prefer xemacs because I constantly use its advanced features, and I am accustomed to its interface. gedit is a very simple editor that I would not recommend for programming if [x]emacs, [g]vim, kate or other more advanced editor is available, however it's fine for regular text documents. On the other hand, bluefish beats xemacs when it comes to html editing.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

thenameseli posted:

I don't think that makes you an idiot. It is quite understandable, since libata only recently started supporting PATA drives, and the current layout of the kernel config menu does not really make it clear that libata and "ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support" are different driver subsystems.

Well, maybe I jumped ahead of myself here. I am having a hell of a time consistently burning dvds.

Sometimes I will get half a dozen in a row burned without error, but then sometimes I will get a string of discs that the computer cannot read.

This is what dmesg says when I try to mount a good disc:
code:
ISO 9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 3
ISO 9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A
And here it is making GBS threads all over itself:
code:
sr 0:0:0:0: [sr0] Result: hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=0x08
sr 0:0:0:0: [sr0] Sense Key : 0x3 [current] 
sr 0:0:0:0: [sr0] ASC=0x11 ASCQ=0x5
end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 0
end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 8
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 1
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 2
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 3
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 4
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 5
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 6
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 7
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 8
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 9
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 10
printk: 6 messages suppressed.
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 0
Reducing readahead size to 32K
FAT: unable to read boot sector
growisofs always reports the disc burned correctly, and the buffer is full the entire time. I can't figure out why it works some times and not others. I haven't had a stack of coasters this big since my first 2x CDR drive.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Does anyone know if there is a way to point a virtual machine in VMWare workstation to run off of an existing partition? I've already gotten one VM running with a fresh install of vista, but I was wondering if there was a way to access the existing Vista partition and just use that.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003

SnatchRabbit posted:

Does anyone know if there is a way to point a virtual machine in VMWare workstation to run off of an existing partition? I've already gotten one VM running with a fresh install of vista, but I was wondering if there was a way to access the existing Vista partition and just use that.

There is, actually. I've never tried it, so beware, it might mess up your partitions, but if you add a new hard drive device, you can select "Use existing physical disk," and point it to whatever partition you want.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
Ok so I returned my Acer laptop because the touchpad stopped working. But thats Ok, I had the biggest pain in the rear end time trying to get the wireless working in F7.

My question now is, if I were to get a pretty decent laptop (like an HP) would its extra features (like the media buttons on the side of the display ect) work under linux? I found out the hard way that soft touch wireless toggles do not work, and I dont want to waste my money.

actually I guess Im asking if I should bother putting linux on the laptop and possibly waste some cool features or keep vista on it, installing linux on my home machine.

rugbert fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 31, 2007

AlienAardvark
Jun 8, 2006

by Fragmaster
I'm using drat Small Linux for kiosks; the only problem I'm still having, is that I can't start the browser (firefox or opera) fullscreen. With firefox, I can make it start as fullscreen as I can get it, but I have green line from fluxbox at the bottom of the screen, and at the top I have part of the window title. Opera, if I hit f11 after I start it, it does consume the entire screen, but I can't find a way to make that happen automatically. The -fullscreen, -k, -kioskmode, etc, options, do not appear to do the same thing as F11. Needs to be automatic because this is going to be an unattended dummy terminal.

So, I either need to find a way to make firefox actually full screen (no fluxbox bar at the bottom, no black window title), or I need to find a way to get opera to "hit f11 automatically".

Any ideas?

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Currently I'm using an army of sub-500mhz machines running Windows 2000 to handle the various bitch-tasks that I don't want to run on my good gamin' rigg or MacBook Pro. The slowest PC is currently my file server which is little more than a 400mhz machine with a big power supply and a ton of differently sized drives in a JBOD array. The next fastest machine is a 533mhz box which I use to run various crap like an FTP server, web server, and kind of serves as my local test environment for web development junk. My torrent/nzb box is a 633mhz machine that only runs Azureus and SAnzbd.

I have a Mac Mini set up in my kitchen with one of those waterproof keyboards that is running the latest version of OSX that I thought would be useful to use as a way to look up recipes and other kitchen related poo poo. Not surprisingly, this machine does little more than display the RSS feed screensaver.

What I'm thinking about doing, scrapping the 400mhz and 533mhz machines, throwing the big power supply from my old file server in to the 633mhz box, getting a gigabit nic for it, then throwing FreeNAS on it... then JBOD'ing. I think the 633mhz box might be fast enough with a lightweight OS to throw out data as fast as the hard drives can read.

And then (the reason for this post) installing Linux on the ol' Mac Mini. It is a rev a. "high end" model, 1.42GB with 512MB of RAM (Which I could upgrade to 1GB for $50) the kick in the pants though, is it only has a 4200 RPM drive. I'm thinking I could easily turn this in to my torrent, usenet, ftp, and web server box... but under two conditions:

1. Is there anything for Linux that is as fully-featured as Azureus? I really love its auto-seeding capabilities, the wealth of plugins, web interface, and everything else. It seems like the Linux torrent client of choice is rtorrent, but does it have any of these capabilities? Two killer features for me are the auto-seeding (Azureus keeps everything you download in its queue and will automatically hop back on to seed if someone joins the swarm and there are no seeds available.) and the auto-speed plugin. (It pings the address you set and if it's above the desired ping time it throttles your upload back, if the ping time is below what you set it throttles it up. This works awesome because Azureus will automatically dial itself back if you're uploading something from a different computer on the network, then ramp up its speed again when you finish.)

2. Does SAnzbd work under Linux? If not is there anything that is similar?

Do you guys think the mini would be enough to handle what I want to do? Is upgrading the RAM necessary?

And last, but not least, what distro of linux should I use? I was going to do something in the ubuntu family just for ease of setup, but I really don't need much (if any) of a UI since this machine will be running headless.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003

io_burn posted:

:words:
Do you guys think the mini would be enough to handle what I want to do? Is upgrading the RAM necessary?

And last, but not least, what distro of linux should I use? I was going to do something in the ubuntu family just for ease of setup, but I really don't need much (if any) of a UI since this machine will be running headless.

Azureus runs native in Linux. Don't know anything about Linux newsreaders, though.

A ram upgrade isn't wholly necessary since the box will be running headless.

I'll still say you should go with Ubuntu. Even if you install the server edition, you'll still get the benefit of the absolutely massive body of support and the repositories, which very likely have any app you'll ever need.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Yeah, that's the one thing I've found is really awesome with Ubuntu. (I installed it on my parents' PC a few years ago.) Pretty much everything you'd ever want to install or any problem you would have has a forum thread somewhere with the exact terminal commands required to fix/install/configure whatever you're trying to do.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Oh also pretty much the ONLY thing I use my Mac Mini for that is anywhere near useful and requires (as far as I know) OSX is iTunes sharing. Basically what I do is keep ~8GB of my favorite music on my MacBook Pro to sync with my iPod/iPhone, then I'll keep the rest of my music on the Mac Mini's iTunes shared out to the rest of my network. If I want to listen to something obscure I just connect to ye olde macce mini and away I go.

Is there any way to have Linux pretend it is iTunes and share out a directory full of music to the rest of my network and trick iTunes running on other machines in to thinking it is connecting to a shared library? My music folder has a pretty standard directory structure of \Music\Artist\Album\Track Number Song Name.mp3 if that matters at all.

MOLLUSC
Nov 30, 2005

io_burn posted:

2. Does SAnzbd work under Linux? If not is there anything that is similar?

SABnzbd runs native on Linux too although it takes a bit more tinkering to get it running than the Windows version. You can always check out the usenet megathread if you run into any trouble with it.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

AlienAardvark posted:

I'm using drat Small Linux for kiosks; the only problem I'm still having, is that I can't start the browser (firefox or opera) fullscreen. With firefox, I can make it start as fullscreen as I can get it, but I have green line from fluxbox at the bottom of the screen, and at the top I have part of the window title. Opera, if I hit f11 after I start it, it does consume the entire screen, but I can't find a way to make that happen automatically. The -fullscreen, -k, -kioskmode, etc, options, do not appear to do the same thing as F11. Needs to be automatic because this is going to be an unattended dummy terminal.

So, I either need to find a way to make firefox actually full screen (no fluxbox bar at the bottom, no black window title), or I need to find a way to get opera to "hit f11 automatically".

Any ideas?

1. https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/1659 (Edit: if you install this, and can't disable it because UI is, well, disabled, remove a directory under profile and "extensions" that contains it)
2. You can use Sawfish window manager to disable all decorations, force fullscreen, 0,0 offset and full screen size for all Firefox windows (use "Matched Windows configuration tab in sawfish-ui to generate the matching rules).

teapot fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 31, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

rugbert posted:

My question now is, if I were to get a pretty decent laptop (like an HP) would its extra features (like the media buttons on the side of the display ect) work under linux? I found out the hard way that soft touch wireless toggles do not work, and I dont want to waste my money.

This will really depend on the laptop make/model so you will need to do some research before you buy, including searching within your distro forums for the laptop.

As an example, all of the extra buttons on my IBM laptop work out of the box, whereas rather little works out of the box for my Acer.

http://www.linux-laptop.net/ is a good resource to start with. There are also companies that sell laptops with Linux installed, google "linux laptop" or try Dell, although I've found it impossible to actually purchase a linux laptop from them.