Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

94whitesnake
Apr 24, 2005

It's got the 0.2cc big bore kit, she moves.

VTNewb posted:

Just for the sake of completeness offroad folks there are some counterpoints:

Rivers/creeks
deep sand
diverging ruts(when they start splitting apart if area has alot of traffic)

And of course, any slow speed nasty offroad stuff.

And in general these circumstances need your tight hold only because an obstacle can instantly jack your wheel to full lock or similar.

It makes me think really, it would be great to grab all the offroad guys and talk technique.

That's why most guys run a SCOTTS damper. Most guys will say that a properly valved suspension has the same effect as a damper, and then some will say if you're suspension is tiring you out then you're not going fast enough.

I'd love to talk shop, but I think there's like 2 trail riders in all of AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

94whitesnake posted:

That's why most guys run a SCOTTS damper. Most guys will say that a properly valved suspension has the same effect as a damper, and then some will say if you're suspension is tiring you out then you're not going fast enough.

Though it should probly go in the other thread, I'd love to read some off-road shop talk. I've never done any motorcycle offroad, but I plan on hitting some trails next spring when I pick up a DR650. I'm sure there are others who'd be interested in the discussion too.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

powderific posted:

Though it should probly go in the other thread, I'd love to read some off-road shop talk. I've never done any motorcycle offroad, but I plan on hitting some trails next spring when I pick up a DR650. I'm sure there are others who'd be interested in the discussion too.

Why exactly have you decided you want a DR650?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

94whitesnake posted:

That might be true, all my bikes up to my trials bike have been setup for someone much much heavier than I. I'm 135 lbs.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Less talk, more videos!

:cry: :nms: Watch his left leg. :nms: :cry:

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void

bung posted:

Less talk, more videos!

I've seen tons of those "shocking sports moments" type videos with hyper-extended knees, shattered bones, etc. I've watched them multiple times with no problem.

I had to close the tab after the first replay :cry:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

94whitesnake posted:

I lived and breathed dirtbikes from 7 to about 20 years old. I havent ridden off-road in any serious manner in about 6 years, but I want to get back into it.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Terminal posted:

I've seen tons of those "shocking sports moments" type videos with hyper-extended knees, shattered bones, etc. I've watched them multiple times with no problem.

I had to close the tab after the first replay :cry:

That is a shame, because the second replay has an awesome view of him catching a foot of air out of the turn which caused him to crash.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
HOLY BALLS - trials video from France this past January. I'd kill myself trying the smallest fraction of what these guys are doing. Vid's almost 20 minutes long and has a Megadeth soundtrack, so you might want to turn your volume down if you can't take Mustaine singing like he's squeezing one off for that long.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x125dj_indoor-de-toulouse-toni-bou-adam-ra_sport

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Jazzzzz posted:

HOLY BALLS
i'm not sure megadeth is hardcore enough for those guys. those guys are hardcore. holy balls.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
Which one is VTNewb?

So-Hat-Yi
Jul 23, 2003

can cats prolapse?

bung posted:

Less talk, more videos!

I caught that live over the weekend... Not 15 minutes after purchasing my first bike :(

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....

Jazzzzz posted:

HOLY BALLS

Is there anything special about the clutch on a trials bike?

Also, does anyone know of a video of the superbike course in england with the jump? I forget the name of the course, I will try and look it up.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

mutt2jeff posted:

Is there anything special about the clutch on a trials bike?

Also, does anyone know of a video of the superbike course in england with the jump? I forget the name of the course, I will try and look it up.

Clutches on trials bikes are much much much much much more grabby. It's so you can rev up to the limit and drop the clutch in 3rd gear to splatter over a big rock.

My second trials comp is in october!

E: It's also hydraulic so you can operate it with one finger all day long.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

VTNewb posted:

My second trials comp is in october!
Good luck dude, that poo poo is crazy, and I still can't imagine how much time it would take to really get to the level of these guys.

Amazing stuff. :)

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Fantastipotamus posted:

Good luck dude, that poo poo is crazy, and I still can't imagine how much time it would take to really get to the level of these guys.

Amazing stuff. :)

Oh they're nuts for sure. It's all abount balance really. I learned to balance on the pegs stopped after 3 hours of hard work, significant peg time afterwards increased the ease of doing so. I still can't reliably do it from a roll to a stop, but always from the ground to the pegs. Going to a stop fucks with me with the momentum, maybe 10% of the time I can do it. Wheelies and stoppies are really cake. I can turn in a stoppie, but can't turn in a wheelie, I need to practice alot more.

Pulling 180's on steep steep hills is what still is very hard, especially at full lock.

94whitesnake
Apr 24, 2005

It's got the 0.2cc big bore kit, she moves.

Phat_Albert posted:

I lived and breathed dirtbikes from 7 to about 20 years old. I havent ridden off-road in any serious manner in about 6 years, but I want to get back into it.

It's fun. I don't exactly pull wheelies on fire roads all day either. Actually I never do that.

This is what I do every sunday.

94whitesnake fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 31, 2007

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

94whitesnake posted:

It's fun. I don't exactly pull wheelies on fire roads all day either. Actually I never do that.

This is what I do every sunday.

You bastard! There are no places to ride around here, and the most I see are illegal quick jaunts offroad to satiate the urge for a while.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

mutt2jeff posted:

It's Cadwell Park and it's featured in the video I posted above.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

VTNewb posted:

Oh they're nuts for sure. It's all abount balance really. I learned to balance on the pegs stopped after 3 hours of hard work, significant peg time afterwards increased the ease of doing so. I still can't reliably do it from a roll to a stop, but always from the ground to the pegs. Going to a stop fucks with me with the momentum, maybe 10% of the time I can do it. Wheelies and stoppies are really cake. I can turn in a stoppie, but can't turn in a wheelie, I need to practice alot more.

Pulling 180's on steep steep hills is what still is very hard, especially at full lock.

I'd love to have a trials bike to F around with...the funny thing is i've never had a problem stoppieing bikes, but could never wheelie them for crap...I'll nevar be a trials supastar :(

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....

bung posted:

It's Cadwell Park and it's featured in the video I posted above.

poo poo, I guess I should have watched the whole thing and I would have seen that.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Holy gas.

(Honda Africa Twin/Africa Queen).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

rope kid posted:

Holy gas.

(Honda Africa Twin/Africa Queen).

drat. Well, i suppose if you're in the middle of a rally and you really don't want to stop for gas...:lol:

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....

Z3n posted:

drat. Well, i suppose if you're in the middle of a rally and you really don't want to stop for gas...:lol:

Its not so much that you dont want to stop, its just how much you need to get to the next stop on the longer stages.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

mutt2jeff posted:

Its not so much that you dont want to stop, its just how much you need to get to the next stop on the longer stages.

Right. That thing has to be good for at least...20-25 gallons? If it's got another backup tank on the other side? If you're looking at 30 mpg in those situations, 600-750 miles? :psyduck:

Rally riders are nuts, though, so i guess it evens out :v:

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
More likely 20mpg, and significantly less in dunes. I forget what the typical rules are, but I dont think the average rally bike is carrying more than 20 gal. Too drat heavy. I cant recall what exactly what a Dakar bike carries (and I just read this the other day) but I believe its about 10 gallons. They have to be pretty careful sometimes to make it to the gas stops during a 400 mile special.

Edit: This is a great read on the Dakar, written bu the racer. Lots of insight into rally racing and bikes as well.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209947&highlight=Dakar

mutt2jeff fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 3, 2007

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I don't know the backstory. I found it at another motorcycle forum.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

bung posted:

I don't know the backstory. I found it at another motorcycle forum.
loving squids. :rolleyes:

Swingline Savvy
Aug 10, 2005

Z3n posted:

True. I haven't had the chance to do much of any off road riding, so my experience is pretty much limited to street/track riding only.

I know it was mentioned once before, but Godamn...are you ME?

ail
Jul 8, 2003

by The Finn

Mapless posted:

Pretty sure you're Jack and he's Tyler.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Mapless posted:

Well, check if you're banned from the IRC channel...if so...yes.

:psyduck:

But i'll be starting racing soon...hopefully have my license by the end of feb. Probably won't take part in this season, but you never know.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

They're Police. They're Cops. They're Policecops!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4953796363104475290&pr=goog-sl

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Fascinating.

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005
Just got back from taking my vacation trip from Chico to Yakima and back.

Tank bag looks especially silly while open, but it worked great. I need something for the rear also though. Using the topmost bag, you have to sit up and peek over it to see the instruments.

Riding along I-84 last Friday was a windy experience. But going through central Oregon was wonderful, especially on the back roads.

Jolci
Mar 29, 2004
deliberate

Fantastipotamus posted:

They're Police. They're Cops. They're Policecops!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4953796363104475290&pr=goog-sl

I take your policecops and raise you japanese motorcycle cops! http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6178043709180164205&q=japan+motorcycle+cops&total=11&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

I don't really know what to say about this video except for it contains the only non-gay way for two (or more) men to share a motorcycle. There's other stuff too. Just watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVExD-Fz688

Jolci
Mar 29, 2004
deliberate

WTFBEES posted:

I don't really know what to say about this video except for it contains the only non-gay way for two (or more) men to share a motorcycle. There's other stuff too. Just watch it.

I want a supermotard now :(

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....

WTFBEES posted:

drat, 5 people on one bike, 5 knees down in the turn. I love it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

WTFBEES posted:

Holy christ that is awesome. I think that's probably the longest youtube video i've ever been entertained all the way through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

[working title]
Dec 7, 2004
Aaargh!
what's this?

http://www.cumbria.police.uk/bikesafe/html/gallery_yamaha_r1.html