Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

rugbert posted:

Ok so I returned my Acer laptop because the touchpad stopped working. But thats Ok,
Thank you for sharing, this is obviously an evil plot of Linux users to keep you from using a laptop.

quote:

I had the biggest pain in the rear end time trying to get the wireless working in F7.
Googling for "Acer F7" and "Linux" to see that it has ar5006eg card, so you have to upgrade madwifi, is pain in the rear end indeed. I am sure, you have never ever upgraded a driver on any other system and never expected to encounter such a thing as new card requiring its vendor's driver.

quote:

My question now is, if I were to get a pretty decent laptop (like an HP) would its extra features (like the media buttons on the side of the display ect) work under linux?
On most of keyboards, laptop or not, media buttons produce key codes that are recognized by desktop environments in default configuration. If your media buttons have some nonstandard key values you can re-assign them in your desktop environment (Gnome has it in system->preferences menu).

quote:

I found out the hard way that soft touch wireless toggles do not work, and I dont want to waste my money.
You make decision about "wasting money" based on whether media buttons work? It's a "hard way" for you that "soft wireless" button does not load Network Manager so you have to click on an icon? I am waiting for "I won't install Ubuntu until Compiz will allow me to place windows on top of the cube!!!".

quote:

actually I guess Im asking if I should bother putting linux on the laptop and possibly waste some cool features or keep vista on it, installing linux on my home machine.
I think, you may be more concerned about your laptop's hardware being supported -- wireless card, graphics adapter, known-buggy suspend, etc.

But then your question would be something like:

"What components/models should I check before buying a laptop that I intend to use with both Windows and Linux?",
or "Does <particular laptop model> have known incompatibilities?",
or "How bad is Radeon <particular model> support is right now, and how much of functionality can I get from it using ATI drivers?",
or "Does suspend to work properly under Linux in <particular laptop model>? And if not, is there a BIOS update that fixes it?",
or at least "What problems can I expect if I'll choose a laptop with unsupported wireless card, so I will be stuck with ndiswrapper?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacepirate
Feb 7, 2005
Yarr mateys!
So I need to set environment variables in linux/solaris/hpux etc. I want to run a script to set a bunch of environment variables. Then run a series of other scripts that will read and use these variables.

When I try an sh script that looks like
#!/usr/bin/sh
VAR="Value for var"

echo $VAR comes up with nothing. Any ideas on the right way to do this?

Edit: Nevermind, I have to export each variable after I set it so
#!/usr/bin/sh
VAR="Value for var"
export VAR

spacepirate fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 31, 2007

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

io_burn posted:

Is there any way to have Linux pretend it is iTunes and share out a directory full of music to the rest of my network and trick iTunes running on other machines in to thinking it is connecting to a shared library? My music folder has a pretty standard directory structure of \Music\Artist\Album\Track Number Song Name.mp3 if that matters at all.

I'm not sure about "pretending" but there is an OSS DAAP (iTunes share protocol) server: mt-daap firefly http://www.fireflymediaserver.org/ . It has a very nice web admin interface.

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

spacepirate posted:

So I need to set environment variables in linux/solaris/hpux etc. I want to run a script to set a bunch of environment variables. Then run a series of other scripts that will read and use these variables.

When I try an sh script that looks like
#!/usr/bin/sh
VAR="Value for var"

echo $VAR comes up with nothing. Any ideas on the right way to do this?

Assuming a bourne shell, 'export' is sorta what you're looking for, but this will not work in any shell that I know of, since the script is run in a new shell and can't change the environment variables of its parent. You will have to use another approach, maybe integrating the variables into the scripts, or setting them globally in .profile et al.

emf
Aug 1, 2002

Hey, here's a quick one.

How good/bad is AMD64 SMP (Core 2 Duo and Athlon 64x2) support in Debian (testing or unstable) for things like Wine, and drivers for the IBM X3000 and nvidia 7050 onboard video? Would I be better off with the 32 bit version for a while, yet?

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

emf posted:

Hey, here's a quick one.

How good/bad is AMD64 SMP (Core 2 Duo and Athlon 64x2) support in Debian (testing or unstable) for things like Wine, and drivers for the IBM X3000 and nvidia 7050 onboard video? Would I be better off with the 32 bit version for a while, yet?

The SMP bit shouldn't be a problem. Nvidia drivers work fine with 64-bit. Wine should be able to work with 64-bit*. I couldn't find a hardware listing for the X3000 with lazy googling.

*Hasn't used Debian recently

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

teapot posted:

kind of jaded about knowing more about linux than me.

Well madwifi doesnt support the wireless chipset I had and by the time I was ready to check out ndiswrapper the touchpad just stopped working (even in windows when I reinstalled) so I returned it and then decided to look around at more laptops.

From what I read on feforaforum the toggle button did more than just switch over to wireless, it actually turned the card on and off. So because I couldnt find any way for the switch to work I couldnt get my wireless to work at all.

Those are some good questions to look into tho, Ill keep them in mind.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

thenameseli posted:

Do you have any example images? This seems unlikely, as I would think JPEG encoding has become trivial in the 13 years it has been an ISO standard.
The most recent example, that set me off asking this:

http://images.tomservo.cc/desksep.jpg

This is a desktop screenshot. Check the artifacting around the icon labels. I've manually increased the sampling to 4:2:2 in the advanced settings. Quality slider set to 85 percent. I think for that motive, Photoshop would have yielded better results at 420kb target file size. To make them go away, I have to put the slider at 100%, and even then...

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Toiletbrush posted:

The most recent example, that set me off asking this:

http://images.tomservo.cc/desksep.jpg

This is a desktop screenshot. Check the artifacting around the icon labels. I've manually increased the sampling to 4:2:2 in the advanced settings. Quality slider set to 85 percent. I think for that motive, Photoshop would have yielded better results at 420kb target file size. To make them go away, I have to put the slider at 100%, and even then...

No, desktops always look like crap using jpeg. I challenge you to find a desktop screenshot using jpeg that doesn't look horrible.

Or, upload it as (lossless) png somewhere, and I can save it as jpeg with photoshop to demonstrate that the results are equivalent.

hk0
Sep 24, 2005

HO HO HO!!!

Toiletbrush posted:

...quality slider set to 85 percent. I think for that motive, Photoshop would have yielded better results...

1) You need to know what the settings mean when you set them before you criticize the results.

* You need to set the DCT method to "Floating Point/Float" in the advanced settings -- PS does this automatically and it can shave off some size.
* Going to 4:2:2 subsampling was useless because increased chroma resolution doesn't help with the ringing artifacts, while just wasting space on detail you can't see anyway (that image doesn't have a lot of saturated nor quickly changing color). Try it again with a higher at a higher quality percentage using 4:1:1 and you'll get a similarly sized file.

2) Photoshop uses a non-standard JPEG encoder that may have different results at different quality settings (or is more sophisticated about where it throws away detail). But I've never noticed a difference in quality using either tool so maybe it's just your imagination.

3) What the hell does this have to do with Linux? You can run PS on linux with wine, and GIMP runs on Windows.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

To demonstrate, I found a random desktop, and exported it to JPEG with Photoshop CS2 and GIMP 2.4rc1

Original (lossless) png (from http://jamesthevicar.com/images/png/desktop-20050325.png)

Photoshop, saved with Save for Web dialog, Optimized, Quality 64 (384KB)

GIMP, saved with quality 85, optimized on, subsampling 1x1,1x1,1x1 (best quality), and DCT Method Floating point (387KB)

The one made by photoshop looks just slightly better. Feel free to tweak settings if you can make one that looks better.

Edit: woops, a stray brush stroke in the GIMP example... please ignore it :v:

Scaevolus fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 1, 2007

fatcat
Jun 18, 2004

albert's lookin at you

Scaevolus posted:

To demonstrate, I found a random desktop, and exported it to JPEG with Photoshop CS2 and GIMP 2.4rc1

Original (lossless) png (from http://jamesthevicar.com/images/png/desktop-20050325.png)

GIMP, saved with quality 85, optimized on, subsampling 1x1,1x1,1x1 (best quality), and DCT Method Floating point (387KB)

The one made by photoshop looks just slightly better. Feel free to tweak settings if you can make one that looks better.
Nice example. There's definitely more artifacting in the GIMP version.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

rugbert posted:

Well madwifi doesnt support the wireless chipset I had
According to http://madwifi.org/wiki/Compatibility/Atheros AR5006EG chipset works with madwifi starting from February 24 2007 snapshot, though packaged version probably still doesn't support it.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=212600&page=3 describes the installation procedure. ndiswrapper has an easier installation procedure, however nothing beyond the ordinary -- install package, download the archive, run command, card works.

quote:

and by the time I was ready to check out ndiswrapper the touchpad just stopped working (even in windows when I reinstalled) so I returned it and then decided to look around at more laptops.

From what I read on feforaforum the toggle button did more than just switch over to wireless, it actually turned the card on and off. So because I couldnt find any way for the switch to work I couldnt get my wireless to work at all.
On most laptops the button turns on and off either the card or its radio. This functionality works without any software support, and exists for this very purpose -- to override it. Software may or may not immediately detect that the card status changed, however since usually you have to choose one of many networks, you will have to use Network Manager GUI anyway.

On my laptop (Averatec 2150) all it does is sending a key code (that my keymap does not know) and turn "Wireless" LED on and off without affecting wireless card in any way. If I will want to use it for some purpose, I would assign something to that key code, however right now it is unused. Again, this is Averatec 2150 laptop, so its Ralink card doesn't even work with Network Manager, its GUI configuration is handled by RutilT, another network configuration utility written for those cards.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Toiletbrush posted:

This is a desktop screenshot. Check the artifacting around the icon labels. I've manually increased the sampling to 4:2:2 in the advanced settings. Quality slider set to 85 percent. I think for that motive, Photoshop would have yielded better results at 420kb target file size.
Really?
code:
$ identify -verbose desksep.jpg
desksep.jpg JPEG 3200x1200 DirectClass 417kb 1.200u 0:02
Image: desksep.jpg
  Format: JPEG (Joint Photographic Experts Group JFIF format)
  Geometry: 3200x1200
  Class: DirectClass
  Type: TrueColor
  Endianess: Undefined
  Colorspace: RGB
  Channel depth:
    Red: 8-bits
    Green: 8-bits
    Blue: 8-bits
  Channel statistics:
    Red:
      Min: 0 (0)
      Max: 255 (1)
      Mean: 129.037 (0.506026)
      Standard deviation: 80.9853 (0.31759)
    Green:
      Mean: 119.001 (0.466669)
      Standard deviation: 72.2843 (0.283468)
    Blue:
      Mean: 108.408 (0.425129)
      Standard deviation: 63.2494 (0.248037)
  Colors: 42357
  Rendering-intent: Undefined
  Resolution: 72x72
  Units: PixelsPerInch
  Filesize: 417kb
  Interlace: Plane
  Background Color: white
  Border Color: #DFDFDF
  Matte Color: grey74
  Dispose: Undefined
  Iterations: 0
  [b]Compression: JPEG[/b]
  [b]Quality: 72[/b]
  [b]Orientation: Undefined[/b]
  [b]JPEG-Colorspace: 2[/b]
  [b]JPEG-Sampling-factors: 2x1,1x1,1x1[/b]
  Signature: 79eee81052141d7b2feed31bb2347c8cd04b62e29ebc50158907492941281759
  Profile-exif: 20 bytes
0x00000000: 78696600 004d4d00 2a000000 08000000 00000065  Exif--MM-*----------
  Tainted: False
  Version: ImageMagick 6.2.4 07/09/07 Q16 http://www.imagemagick.org
I also have to point out the obvious fact that the background is a heavily compressed and resized jpeg itself, and would show some artifacting regardless of the quality of compression applied to the screenshot image.

quote:

To make them go away, I have to put the slider at 100%, and even then...
No. jpeg at 100% quality does not show any perceptible artifacts. It's still not exactly the same as the original image, but pixelation/waves have to be gone at that point. If you still see them when they are not there, your observation of quality should be seriously slanted.

So far I have never seen a screenshot posted as a jpeg image that did not have artifacting around lines or text (no one uses quality 100 for that purpose, or they would know to use PNG).

teapot fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 1, 2007

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

I have a Debian question. I rebuilt all the packages with a changed configure paramter for Bacula since the distribution removed OpenSSL. Now that I've installed the rebuilt packages how do I ensure that an apt-get won't wipe out the locally built ones if the apt source has a newer version?

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Scaevolus posted:

code:
$ identify -verbose [b]desktop_gimp.jpg[/b] 
abelits/desktop_gimp.jpg JPEG 1280x1024 DirectClass 387kb 
Image: abelits/desktop_gimp.jpg
  Geometry: 1280x1024
  Channel depth:
  Channel statistics:
    Red:
      Mean: 165.661 (0.649653)
      Standard deviation: 84.7117 (0.332203)
    Green:
      Mean: 178.818 (0.701249)
      Standard deviation: 75.0047 (0.294136)
    Blue:
      Mean: 193.924 (0.760484)
      Standard deviation: 70.9459 (0.278219)
  Colors: 114150
  Resolution: 72x72
  Units: PixelsPerInch
  Filesize: 387kb
  Interlace: None
  [b]Quality: 85[/b]
  [b]JPEG-Sampling-factors: 1x1,1x1,1x1[/b]
  Signature: 7fa0dbacc3fb5504f5088b5383e8c484afa77010840732b0b9c21bb71d319a4c
  Profile-exif: 20 bytes
0x00000000: 78696600 004d4d00 2a000000 08000000 00000065  Exif--MM-*----------
  Version: ImageMagick 6.2.4 07/09/07 Q16 [url]http://www.imagemagick.org[/url]
$ identify -verbose [b]desktop_photoshop_.jpg[/b] 
abelits/desktop_photoshop_.jpg JPEG 1280x1024 DirectClass 384kb 
Image: abelits/desktop_photoshop_.jpg
  Geometry: 1280x1024
  Channel depth:
  Channel statistics:
    Red:
      Mean: 165.761 (0.650045)
      Standard deviation: 84.6875 (0.332108)
    Green:
      Mean: 178.886 (0.701514)
      Standard deviation: 75.0673 (0.294382)
    Blue:
      Mean: 194.055 (0.760998)
      Standard deviation: 70.9529 (0.278247)
  Colors: 109954
  Resolution: 100x100
  Units: Undefined
  Filesize: 384kb
  Interlace: None
  [b]Quality: 88[/b]
  [b]JPEG-Sampling-factors: 1x1,1x1,1x1[/b]
  Signature: 88c087dc34439e51b810239c0a574b21dc966d48891d72fbe85cf7e52eecc15f
  Profile-app12: 15 bytes
0x00000000: 75636b79 00010004 00000040 000063             Ducky-------@--
  Version: ImageMagick 6.2.4 07/09/07 Q16 [url]http://www.imagemagick.org[/url]
Though the difference is still visible (Photoshop file size is smaller even though it shows slightly less artifacts), its quality factor is absolutely definitely not 64 but 88.

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

lilbean posted:

I have a Debian question. I rebuilt all the packages with a changed configure paramter for Bacula since the distribution removed OpenSSL. Now that I've installed the rebuilt packages how do I ensure that an apt-get won't wipe out the locally built ones if the apt source has a newer version?

code:
foo@bar$ sudo dpkg --set-selections
bacula hold
^D
foo@bar$
There might be a slightly more user-friendly way to do that, but this is what everything will eventually do in the background.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

teapot posted:

Though the difference is still visible (Photoshop file size is smaller even though it shows slightly less artifacts), its quality factor is absolutely definitely not 64 but 88.

Photoshop's quality setting and the resulting file's reported quality must be different then. Here's shakey proof (who knows, I could have photoshopped it :v: )

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

ShoulderDaemon posted:

code:
bacula hold
^D
foo@bar$
There might be a slightly more user-friendly way to do that, but this is what everything will eventually do in the background.
That should do the trick perfectly, thanks!

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

ShoulderDaemon posted:

code:
bacula hold
^D
foo@bar$

man 5 apt_preferences ,
too. I think this is a more flexible way of doing this (recommended in the Debian guide :toot: ), and I'm not sure how permanently selection settings are stored.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

teapot posted:

According to http://madwifi.org/wiki/Compatibility/Atheros AR5006EG chipset works with madwifi starting from February 24 2007 snapshot

My laptop used the AR5BXB63 chipset. according to the sticker..

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

rugbert posted:

My laptop used the AR5BXB63 chipset. according to the sticker..

Then you need ndiswrapper (what is also mentioned on the same page).

dorkface
Dec 27, 2005
I'm dual booting a machine with windows and Kubuntu, and while a connection to a router under windows works properly, I cannot get kubuntu to get an address by DHCP. If I use a static address, the interface takes that address fine, but there is still no connectivity.

I've tried "ifconfig eth0 down/up", and that produces no errors, while "ifdown eth0" gives an error that eth0 is not configured. "dhclient" does not get anything; it just tries four times then goes to sleep.

Is there anything I can do?

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

dorkface posted:

I've tried "ifconfig eth0 down/up", and that produces no errors, while "ifdown eth0" gives an error that eth0 is not configured. "dhclient" does not get anything; it just tries four times then goes to sleep.

Is there anything I can do?

Could you post the contents of /etc/networking/interfaces? Are you using the network manager applet to connect as this seems to bypass the normal ifconfig commands (at least in my experience)? On the offchance you are using network manager,
code:
sudo /etc/dbus-1/event.d/25NetworkManager restart
magically fixed a similar problem for me.

The fact that with a static IP you connect but nothing happens suggests something is maybe wrong with the driver. Can you post the relevant section of the output of
code:
sudo lshw
as this will display the driver being used for the network card.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Sep 2, 2007

dorkface
Dec 27, 2005

Col posted:

Could you post the contents of /etc/networking/interfaces? Are you using the network manager applet to connect as this seems to bypass the normal ifconfig commands (at least in my experience)? On the offchance you are using network manager,
code:
sudo /etc/dbus-1/event.d/25NetworkManager restart
magically fixed a similar problem for me.

I was indeed using the network manager. I tried the command, but it still does not work. For some reason, there is a wired network to be chosen within the manager that is in the tray, but it is grayed out.

quote:

The fact that with a static IP you connect but nothing happens suggests something is maybe wrong with the driver. Can you post the relevant section of the output of
code:
sudo lshw
as this will display the driver being used for the network card.

Per your request:

code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
address 127.0.0.1
netmask 255.0.0.0

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp

auto eth2
iface eth2 inet dhcp

auto ath0
iface ath0 inet dhcp

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp

=================== sudo lshw =======================

*-network
                description: Ethernet interface
                product: RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller
                vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
                physical id: 0
                bus info: pci@04:00.0
                logical name: eth0
                version: 01
                serial: 00:1a:4d:93:28:f3
                size: 10MB/s
                capacity: 1GB/s
                width: 64 bits
                clock: 33MHz
                capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 
100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
                configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 
driverversion=2.2LK duplex=half latency=0 link=no multicast=yes p
ort=twisted pair speed=10MB/s

resources: ioport:d000-d0ff iomemory:fa000000-fa000fff irq:16

dorkface fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 3, 2007

TheCobraEffect
Jan 10, 2003
Snipes's bitch.
I installed slackware on an old lovely laptop, an averatec 6200 series. It has a wireless card with the rt2500 chipset, so I've been trying to get wireless working. I've used ubuntu before, but it set up everything for me, so I have no idea where to start.

iwconfig returns
code:
lo   no wireless extensions

eth0 no wireless extensions
ra0 doesn't show up, so I ran lspci and found my wireless card at

code:
00:0e.0 Network Controller: RaLink RT2500 802.11g Cardbus/mini-PCI (rev 01)
Should I use ndiswrapper with windows drivers, and if not, how do I set up the rt2500 drivers?

Thanks!

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.
Has anyone ever had luck running or compiling zdoom on their Ubuntu machine? I have tried several tutorials and HOWTOs on how to do so (for Linux distros in general, not particularly Ubuntu) and they always fail somewhere during compilation.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong soa ny insight would be appreciated.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Crush posted:

Has anyone ever had luck running or compiling zdoom on their Ubuntu machine? I have tried several tutorials and HOWTOs on how to do so (for Linux distros in general, not particularly Ubuntu) and they always fail somewhere during compilation.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong soa ny insight would be appreciated.

did you apt-get install build-essential ? (also hermes1-dev )

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

TheCobraEffect posted:

I installed slackware on an old lovely laptop, an averatec 6200 series. It has a wireless card with the rt2500 chipset, so I've been trying to get wireless working. I've used ubuntu before, but it set up everything for me, so I have no idea where to start.

iwconfig returns
code:
lo   no wireless extensions

eth0 no wireless extensions
ra0 doesn't show up, so I ran lspci and found my wireless card at

code:
00:0e.0 Network Controller: RaLink RT2500 802.11g Cardbus/mini-PCI (rev 01)
Should I use ndiswrapper with windows drivers, and if not, how do I set up the rt2500 drivers?

Thanks!

As I have mentioned MANY TIMES HERE, last time on this very page while describing Averatec laptop no less, Ralink cards are perfectly usable with Linux rt2500 driver, however Network Manager does not support them. You need RutilT, another GUI utility similar to Network Manager.

teapot fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Sep 3, 2007

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I have just purchased a Compaq Presario F500 Laptop (mine came with 1GB RAM / 2.0GHz Turion). It came with Windows Vista Home.

How compatible will this laptop be with Kubuntu or Debian?

TheCobraEffect
Jan 10, 2003
Snipes's bitch.
I don't know how I missed that post, but I followed your instructions and now when I try to start RutilT I get

Critical Error:
Can't find any wireless network interface.
Code: -3

Purple Haze PS3
Jul 21, 2007
So, anyone try linux mint? How is it?

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

TheCobraEffect posted:

I don't know how I missed that post, but I followed your instructions and now when I try to start RutilT I get

Critical Error:
Can't find any wireless network interface.
Code: -3

Is driver module (rt2500) loaded? What is "ifconfig ra0" and "iwconfig ra0" output? Does dmesg show any kernel messages about it?

TheCobraEffect
Jan 10, 2003
Snipes's bitch.
ifconfig ra0 returns

ra0: error fetching interface information: Device not found

iwconfig ra0 returns

ra0 no such device

I don't think the driver is loaded, i tried "modprobe rt2500" but that returns:

FATAL: Module rt2500 not found.

I didn't see any messages about it in dmesg.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

TheCobraEffect posted:

ifconfig ra0 returns

ra0: error fetching interface information: Device not found

iwconfig ra0 returns

ra0 no such device

I don't think the driver is loaded, i tried "modprobe rt2500" but that returns:

FATAL: Module rt2500 not found.

I didn't see any messages about it in dmesg.

What distro, distro version and kernel version is it?

TheCobraEffect
Jan 10, 2003
Snipes's bitch.
Slackware 12.0, kernel 2.6.21.5-smp.

Thanks for your help, I really suck at real linux :(.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

TheCobraEffect posted:

Slackware 12.0, kernel 2.6.21.5-smp.

Slackware does not come with this module, and I can't find slackware package of it for that kernel, so you have to compile it yourself.

1. Download the source (CVS snapshot of rt2500 ) from http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Downloads

2. Unpack the source:
code:
$ tar xvzf rt2500-cvs-daily.tar.gz
(will show files starting with rt2500-cvs-2007090322 with current date/hour)
code:
$ cd rt2500-cvs-[i][b]2007090322[/b][/i]/Module
$ make
(should build the module without errors -- I believe, Slackware always has all files/packages necessary for this)

3. Install and load the driver:
As root:
code:
$ make install
$ modprobe rt2500
4. Run ifconfig and iwconfig again to see if the driver works.

Harokey
Jun 12, 2003

Memory is RAM! Oh dear!
I'm Running a dual-monitor setup on ubuntu linux. This is on a compaq nw8240 (ati video) on a docking station.

My problem is that on my right Monitor, the cursor is messed up, and does not "point" to the right location. The actual location of the cursor is more to the bottom right of where the cursor is being displayed on my screen. This is a pain when trying to select text ( which I am doing often. ) Also, the cursor does not change when I go to the end of the windows. Normally it would switch to a "drag the window out" mode, but it just stays as the cursor, but shifts over a little bit.

Please help!

Or at the very least I'd rather have this happen on the left monitor, because that one is hooked up by VGA and is more blurry than the right monitor.

Xorg.conf:
http://rafb.net/p/rOMXgP39.html

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

I have a pretty big question - I find vista to be overkill for my little laptop and wish to dual boot it as Ubuntu for day to day things (coding, web, email etc) and vista for games and windows apps i cant run under ubuntu. The ubuntu partition is only going to be small (around 10-15gb) which should be plenty as my documents/music etc. are stored on external hard drives.

I really dont want to flatten and reinstall vista for this, so can the ubuntu installer repartition my HDD without severely loving everything up? I've defragged my disk and made sure all the files are compacted to the beginning of the drive. Obviously if theres a burnable set of tools that can fix my drive should the worst happen, that would be great :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001

Cancelbot posted:

I really dont want to flatten and reinstall vista for this, so can the ubuntu installer repartition my HDD without severely loving everything up?

Maybe, maybe not. I would back up your data before doing any repartitioning...Ubuntu trashed my Windows install a few months ago when I was trying to put them both on the same drive.