Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrus
Nov 9, 2005
Peter Pan
I finally bought my new tube amp, and I decided not to get the blues deluxe, and opted for a limited edition Hot Rod Deluxe.

It has that brown color and comes with a Jensen Speaker, I don't know of any other additional modifications though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
It's pink dude.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Can anybody recommend a vocoder that doesn't have a keyboard attached and works via a 13-pin midi interface?

For example, I want to use a Roland G-707 with a 24-pin MIDI cable, coverted to a 13-pin MIDI cable, and then utilize the synth aspect of my guitar to control the tone of my voice when simultaneously having both the guitar and a microphone set up.

Is that possible?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Uh...

The 24-pin cable is not a MIDI cable; it's one of those lovely proprietary formats (hello R-Bus, hello DCB) Roland dreamt up and then left in the dust. Neither is the 13-pin, I'm afraid.

If you want to use your guitar there's 2 ways:

- get a guitar > MIDI converter (Terratec AXON > http://audioen.terratec.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1 ) or something like it - and use that to drive the vocoder. The carrier is then the vocoder's built in synthesizer. (Nord Micromodular/Modular/G2, Korg MicroKorg, Korg R3, or even the Korg Radias). Then input your voice as audio.

- just plug in the guitar so its audio acts as the carrier and your voice acts as the modulator. All you need is a vocoder, then. What's mentioned above will do the job, probably - important is that you get 2 inputs, one for carrier, the other for modulator.

Anyway, vocoders aren't -that- popular anymore, and if you insist on a keyboardless version, the G2 rack, Micromodular (will also act as stompbox from hell) or Modular rack version will do the job. All other rack vocoders are pretty drat expensive and vintage.

Oh yeah, then there's the Electrix Warp Factory.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Yoozer posted:

Uh...

The 24-pin cable is not a MIDI cable; it's one of those lovely proprietary formats (hello R-Bus, hello DCB) Roland dreamt up and then left in the dust. Neither is the 13-pin, I'm afraid.

If you want to use your guitar there's 2 ways:

- get a guitar > MIDI converter (Terratec AXON > http://audioen.terratec.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1 ) or something like it - and use that to drive the vocoder. The carrier is then the vocoder's built in synthesizer. (Nord Micromodular/Modular/G2, Korg MicroKorg, Korg R3, or even the Korg Radias). Then input your voice as audio.

- just plug in the guitar so its audio acts as the carrier and your voice acts as the modulator. All you need is a vocoder, then. What's mentioned above will do the job, probably - important is that you get 2 inputs, one for carrier, the other for modulator.

Anyway, vocoders aren't -that- popular anymore, and if you insist on a keyboardless version, the G2 rack, Micromodular (will also act as stompbox from hell) or Modular rack version will do the job. All other rack vocoders are pretty drat expensive and vintage.

Oh yeah, then there's the Electrix Warp Factory.

Ah okay. See sometimes I don't know poo poo about this stuff and I'm glad there are places where people do know whats up, thanks a lot. :D

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
This one's a little different. A Wechter 3120T.

Acoustic/electric, thinline (3" deep). It obviously doesn't have the boom of a dreadnaught, but the acoustic sound is surprisingly good (so is the electric). Also, the guitar is very light, and makes a good traveller. But the real kicker to me is the neck -- in the promotional junk, they say it's like an electric neck on an acoustic guitar, and in this case, it's true.

Spartak
May 12, 2007
what matters most is how well you walk through the fire
Picked up an acoustic today:

Walden DR550, solid spruce top, mahogany back/sides. Sounded MUCH better than any of the Epiphones they had (Dove/Hummingbird etc), on par with a Yamaha FG720.. if not better. Not to mention the Yamaha retails for $600(NZ), and I picked this one up for $350.

Nice bright and booming, quite happy really :)

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?
Still shocked that I was even able to pick this up, but..

(Mind the busy background)

A mid-90's MIJ Fender Telecaster.

Yes I have a MIM HSS Strat coming on Thursday, but I couldn't pass this up because of what a deal it was: It came with a TKL hard case. For $250. No poo poo.

Only problems are that it needs to be set up again and it's filthy. REALLY REALLY filthy. I took a closer look at the buckle rash in the back and got a whiff of the foulest stale sweat stench that I've ever encountered since my trip to Venice during summertime. The guitar drat dirty that if you run your hand across the body, you palms come away feeling greasy. The strap it came with Even the case is fleabitten to the point that I may just sell the case again on craigslist.

Also, I got a Boss Chromatic pedal tuner and a Blues Driver with it.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Congratulations, that's a killer deal there. I really really like the look of the mother-of-pearl with white and gold. It's so... glitzy. You really need to get one of those really fancy 3" wide straps to go along with it that has all sorts of fringes and rhinestones all over it to pull the whole thing off.

The BD-2 and TU-2 are great pedals, too. You'd be really lucky to find them used for less than $120 together.

Theos
Oct 18, 2002

by angerbot
My new epi les paul standard, I put in a SD Jazz and a JB instead of the stock pups

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Susano-maku da! posted:

Still shocked that I was even able to pick this up, but..

So jealous. I love white and gold.

SeventySeven
Jan 18, 2005
I AM A FAGGOT WHO BEGGED EXTREMITY TO CREATE AM ACCOUNT FOR ME. PLEASE PELT ME WITH ASSORTED GOODS.

The Amp. Marshall DSL 401, if you can't tell.

All About Trout
Jul 17, 2007

This summer I got:

Danelectro Baritone. B-tuned, fun to play, was only $225. Hella twangy.

Ashdown MAGC410T head/cab combo. B-stock for $430, but there wasn't a single fingerprint on it. This is considerably better than the godawful Rogue I was using. Loud and bright like I like it.

I won't be buying anything for a while, but eventually I'll get a bass to keep in my dorm room. Probably just an SX jazz bass.

Archr5
Sep 26, 2003

Trying desperately to be popular since 1982.
I can't decide between this:

A new squier "vintage Modified" SSH tele... or
http://archr5.com/images/sqsshvintagemod.jpg

a used but in good shape peavey EXP tele with a HSH configuration...

i can get them for roughly the same price, i'm a beginner for sure but the only electric i still have is a $99 epiphone les paul special and i'd like to have more sound options.

i'm leaning towards the peavey simply because it seems like it'll have a LOT more options for sound, but it's a heavy bitch compared to the squier...

decisions decisions.

Raze
Aug 13, 2005

I'M GOING HOME.
Managed to snag this Viper-400 on ebay for $350. I would've preferred white or black, but I'm not going to complain for that price. I'll probably be putting a GK-3 (not drilling) on this with a GR-20 so I can do crazy synth sounds and hopefully control FL Studio and Reason through midi.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Archr5 posted:

i can get them for roughly the same price, i'm a beginner for sure but the only electric i still have is a $99 epiphone les paul special and i'd like to have more sound options.

i'm leaning towards the peavey simply because it seems like it'll have a LOT more options for sound, but it's a heavy bitch compared to the squier...

decisions decisions.

the telecaster will probably give you more unique sound options. I also own a Squier Custom Telecaster, and it is a very solidly built guitar for the money I spent on it - I honestly love it.

That said, just from looking at that Peavey I kinda want it :(

sailorjosh
Apr 23, 2006

Peanut butter, mother fucker.

a little accordion! It was ten bucks on clearance so I figured hey, why not. It's fun as hell.

trans fat
Jul 29, 2007

I'd love to get my hands on a keytar. Next major musical purchase of mine if I have an influence on it.

Jagdhippo
Feb 5, 2006

"That's just his way of saying 'Hello!', dear."

Archr5 posted:

decisions decisions.
The peavey is probably higher quality and if it is the same as the picture it has a piezo pickup system too.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

I'm very happy with this one so far. Usually super-high output pedals like this are noisy as poo poo, but I'm noticing barely any (WITHOUT my NS-2).

Either that or my damping has improved lately..

Meursault Horny
Sep 9, 2003

shamshiel posted:

I'm very happy with this one so far. Usually super-high output pedals like this are noisy as poo poo, but I'm noticing barely any (WITHOUT my NS-2).

Either that or my damping has improved lately..

what's the second out labeled 'mixer?' is that just a bypass?

Mugendai
Oct 23, 2002

You realize, of
course, that that
will not kill him

trans fat posted:

I'd love to get my hands on a keytar. Next major musical purchase of mine if I have an influence on it.

My band used that exact keytar for a while but it stopped working. It won't power by battery anymore and trying to use a power adapter was a failure (gave really bad feed back for some reason if I remember right). It sucks too because that's a pretty awesome cheese synth noise. Although sson after we did get an SK-1 which is just as great despite the lack of the pitch bend.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I needed a new practice amp and wasn't very impressed with the options (Marshall MG series = solid-state crap) at the guitar shops in the area, until I checked out this pawn shop in the area that specializes in musical instruments. While I was looking around, what caught my eye but a late-60's Gibson Falcon for $200. Not only that, but it's one of the rarer variations with the solid-state style front panel, a 2+2 input configuration and two wholly distinct channels. I talked the guy into holding it for me until Tuesday, which is when I'll pick it up.

So basically, I just got a practice amp of pure awesome for half of what it should be. 15w RMS, all tubes with ptp wiring, 1x12 (Jensen CR12), 2 channels: trem/verb and clean... the only problem is a dirty pot on one of the tone controls.

Sorry for the postage stamp, I didn't have my camera with me and this particular revision of the Falcon isn't very common to the point of not being pictured on any website I could find... except for this photo of one in an old catalog that is being sold on eBay.

Edit: Wait! I found a similar one on eBay, although mine is in better condition and not missing any knobs.

corgski fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Sep 2, 2007

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.

GHOST OF TAE-BO posted:

what's the second out labeled 'mixer?' is that just a bypass?

It's got an amp/cabinet sim on that output so you can run straight to the board without an amp. I've got a couple digitech pedals with that, and it's, frankly, crap.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?
So remember when I said that tele smelled? I had it set up yesterday and the guy said it was a combination of "Coffee, Kahlua and puke" and the brown crusty stuff along the top end of the body near the bridge of the was the result of "filthy, filthy arms" :barf:

Also, he found a number of things wrong with it. All the bridge springs were replaced manually and done horribly. The neck pickup was also much quieter than the bridge pickup, so he raised the neck and lowered the bridge as much as possible to even out the tone (although he said that many people liked it in the original way). And the factory bridge screws were way too long, which prevented much adjustment.

Despite this, I plugged it in and was greeted to one of the most gorgeous, twangy cleans I've ever heard. Now I need to get some paste cleaner or, alternatively, 409 as the guy recommended even if no one else does)

Wooley
Jan 11, 2005

i can't read metal font

really excited to get this...it should be here within a few days. i still need to get the biggest CF card i can but right now my wallet says no.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

A pair of Genelec 8020's to replace my Horrortones I've been using as nearfields.

Groan Zone
Nov 21, 2004

chug-a-lug, donna
I'm considering getting into some simple home recording with my guitars, maybe some piano. So I might buy a four-track tape recorder.

Unless someone can tell me how stupid an idea this is. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money just to record for the first time.

EsaFadus
Aug 2, 2006

Explosive Testes posted:

Ashdown MAGC410T head/cab combo. B-stock for $430, but there wasn't a single fingerprint on it. This is considerably better than the godawful Rogue I was using. Loud and bright like I like it.

That is a seriously sweet amp. I was playing one at the studio the other day, it's really smooth. Doesn't resonate around the mid-ranges like I find a lot do. I'm entirely in love with Ashdown.

I also really need to get me a patch-changer pedal for my ME-50B.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

ryju posted:

Unless someone can tell me how stupid an idea this is. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money just to record for the first time.

You would benefit from a cheap flash-based recorder if only for the fact that the sound doesn't degrade and you can slap your .wav files directly on your computer. The benefits of tape kick in when you have those bigger wheelie-like thingies.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ZOMMRS4B might be an option.

Groan Zone
Nov 21, 2004

chug-a-lug, donna

Yoozer posted:

You would benefit from a cheap flash-based recorder if only for the fact that the sound doesn't degrade and you can slap your .wav files directly on your computer. The benefits of tape kick in when you have those bigger wheelie-like thingies.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ZOMMRS4B might be an option.

That's pretty much exactly what I want but that site doesn't ship to Canada.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

i got a johnson

best guitar ever :3:

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Picking up a VOX AD50VT-212 and a Fender Strat tomorrow. £300 for the pair, I'm happy with that deal :)

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
You should be - the Valvetronix models are great amps. Hearing a guy demo one with a Strat was what sold me on them. Best AC30 sim I've heard.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Inexplicably, both pieces showed up used from different sources, right as I was about to buy the same thing new. I love it so far, though I haven't gotten a chance to try it out with anyone else yet. It's fun to hook my crappy Behringer V-amp up to and rock some fake Marshall sounds with my guitar too. Plus, the cab even fits in the front seat of my car!

Admiral Crunch
Nov 26, 2005

by Peatpot

unixbeard posted:

i got a johnson

me too :pervert: :dong:

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Elektron Monomachine SFX-60. Its pretty much my favorite thing in the world right now.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
Just got this for my birthday a couple weeks ago:

I've only just begun to explore the things this pedal is capable of. Absolutely love it though. I wish I had 4 similar amps to run the 4 head delay through too, just cause I could.

sailorjosh
Apr 23, 2006

Peanut butter, mother fucker.
Fender MIM telecaster, pictured here with my fender family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

unixbeard posted:

i got a johnson

best guitar ever :3:

That's fukken sweet :hellyeah:

Here are some pictures of my new flat top mandolin

And since my other mandolin is the one that started the thread...

:whatup: