Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Well, just chiming in to say this right here is the 1000th reply in this here thread, officially crossing the barrier into Megathread territory.

Thank you all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I picked up something weird last night, at about 8 UTC on...I think it was 3130 on the upper sideband. Some guy, a HAM I suppose, whistling into his mic. At first I thought it was some variation on the birdcall station, but it was very clearly someone whistling. Some of his notes would break in that way whistles do when you're not very good at whistling. At first he was just doing a bunch of atonal whistles of various pitches, then he whistled part of the star wars theme, then back to single atonal whistles again. I listened for like 15 minutes and he never said a word. Just whistled.

Les Oeufs
May 10, 2006

AnimalChin posted:

I got to pick up Alex Jones last night and I was super, super excited about it because I've only picked him up once before and I considered it some of the best shortwave listening that I've done.

The first time I got him was a week or two ago on 7505, while last night it was ~5890, neither of which are freq's listed on his page http://www.infowars.com/listen.html

The first time I picked him up, I got a slow and steady 'wave' of static every minute or so. It sounded like he was getting interrupted by the ocean. No big deal, I heard him well enough. Last night's reception was identical to the first time, except one of the waves of static washed him out completely and I lost the signal. :( I was heart broken.

I picked him up last sunday (I believe it was) evening, and curiously enough, that sort of static is exactly what happened to me that night. I couldnt listen to anything. Alex Jones is cursing the radio!

edit: Oh, and last night I picked up a guy around 6000 for around 5-10 minutes before another station interfered. I think it was a cuban propaganda station because he kept going on about how awesome all this stuff was from cuba, how great cuban medicine is, how they just shipped some vaccines to vietnam and now vietnam is impressed with cuban medicine

edit: i need to print up that list of cuban number stations that you posted. I still havnt found a single nunmber station

Les Oeufs fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 1, 2007

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Les Oeufs posted:

I picked him up last sunday (I believe it was) evening, and curiously enough, that sort of static is exactly what happened to me that night. I couldnt listen to anything. Alex Jones is cursing the radio!

edit: Oh, and last night I picked up a guy around 6000 for around 5-10 minutes before another station interfered. I think it was a cuban propaganda station because he kept going on about how awesome all this stuff was from cuba, how great cuban medicine is, how they just shipped some vaccines to vietnam and now vietnam is impressed with cuban medicine

edit: i need to print up that list of cuban number stations that you posted. I still havnt found a single nunmber station

Radio Havana broadcasts on 6000 with a pretty strong signal, it was probably that.

Pigpen
Jun 2, 2004

C=
How did I miss this thread?

Anyway, Its made me dig out my Dad's old ICF-SW7600 again to have a play. And seeing as my Dad is a HAM i'll get on his rig to have a play on that too as soon as he gets off the thing :)

He's got a Kenwood TS850S and a Yaesu FT757GX, and I hope I can pick up something a bit further afield than I can with the little handheld and a length of wire clipped to the antenna. So far all I've got so far are the big stations I'm meant to be able to pick up, like China Radio International, VOA, Canada Radio, and a whole bunch of European language stations (French, Italian, German).

I'm picking up a hell of a lot of high-speed morse too, I used to have a program that could decode it when you rigged the radio up to the PC but I lost it after the last regular reinstall, I'll have to dig it up again.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Pigpen posted:

I'm picking up a hell of a lot of high-speed morse too, I used to have a program that could decode it when you rigged the radio up to the PC but I lost it after the last regular reinstall, I'll have to dig it up again.

That'd be pretty neat. Did it ever translate to anything understandable or was it all encoded?

Pigpen
Jun 2, 2004

C=

bad mutant vibes posted:

That'd be pretty neat. Did it ever translate to anything understandable or was it all encoded?

Most of the time it was just everyday HAMs talking about the stuff everyday HAMs talk about. The software could also control the radio and transmit morse back out for you.

Just the lazy man's way of doing morse I guess.

On the subject of wiring PCs to radios I've also built a packet radio modem in the past, it was a neat little gadget but oh so very slow.

Edit- I think I may have picked up an ever so faint Attencion on 6855 using my Dad's Kenwood. I can't make out the numbers but it does sound like something is being repeated in a very regular pattern, with pauses between blocks of several numbers...

Edit2- As it gets darker and with some fiddling with filters, DSPs and things i can definitely make out some numbers in spanish. Heh, this is cool :) Not bad being able to pick it up across the atlantic i suppose!

Pigpen fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 1, 2007

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

6855 is a known frequency for both Atencion AND the MI6 "Lincolnshire Poacher" number station broadcast out of Cyprus. If you're listening from europe, keep on top of that frequency. Listening to that one frequently might bring about some cool results.

What kind of antenna are you listening on?

Pigpen
Jun 2, 2004

C=

AstroZamboni posted:

6855 is a known frequency for both Atencion AND the MI6 "Lincolnshire Poacher" number station broadcast out of Cyprus. If you're listening from europe, keep on top of that frequency. Listening to that one frequently might bring about some cool results.

Cool, I'll keep that one in mind then for future listening. I found wikipedia's schedule for the Poacher but according to that I'm too late to hear anything on there. Though it was accurate 'as of Jan 2006' so I'm more inclined to believe you than wikipedia on that one.

AstroZamboni posted:

What kind of antenna are you listening on?

There's a whole host of antennas sprouting out of the house, a vertical one, a 'long wire' strung out to the top of a tree at the back of the garden and a large homebrew dipole of sorts.

I'm not entirely sure which one it could be, I'll have to get back to you on the exact details of that.

It's sad really, I was trained up on this sort of thing years ago but I've forgotten most of it since then as I've just failed to use it... Oh well.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Pigpen posted:

Cool, I'll keep that one in mind then for future listening. I found wikipedia's schedule for the Poacher but according to that I'm too late to hear anything on there. Though it was accurate 'as of Jan 2006' so I'm more inclined to believe you than wikipedia on that one.

That can change at a drop of a hat. Most number stations will cycle through an arsenal of frequencies over time. Still a good idea to keep an eye on it from time to time in case it becomes active again.

Where are you listening from, if you don't mind me asking?

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
Blue Horeshoe Loves Anacot Steel
I have a scanner and a SW radio.

Me and my girlfriend usually listen to the SJPD at night on my scanner before we go to bed, but we have been known to listen to ATC as well, which is interesting for awhile but becomes fairly repetitive. The PD is by far the most interesting thing going on. I have also listened to the security channel at Lockheed which was surprisingly not encrypted. We also pick up the local Costco on it.

HAM radio people are actually really dull to listen to. My scanner has a preset that will run through all of the HAM frequencies and I have yet to find a single interesting conversation going on.

I do have a Sony 7600GR and the Sony active antenna. Is there anything interesting going on that can be listened to from California on a saturday night?

Pigpen
Jun 2, 2004

C=

AstroZamboni posted:

That can change at a drop of a hat. Most number stations will cycle through an arsenal of frequencies over time. Still a good idea to keep an eye on it from time to time in case it becomes active again.

Gotcha.

AstroZamboni posted:

Where are you listening from, if you don't mind me asking?

Stick "Ellesmere Port, United Kingdom" into Google Maps, thats where I am.

I think my dad has a book on constructing your own antennas, I might see if there is a design for a yagi that I can adapt to better pick up some of these signals. Should make an interesting project for a rainy day.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Pigpen posted:

Stick "Ellesmere Port, United Kingdom" into Google Maps, thats where I am.

Congratulations, you're in a hell of a better part of the world for tuning numbers traffic than us poor sodding yanks. There are far more active number stations including Swedish Rhapsody, Lincolnshire Poacher, Bulgarian Betty, Mossad's Phonetic Alphabet and the Russian Man. I envy you!

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Okay, this is just loving weird. Since I've been experimenting with a slinky antenna, no matter which way I orient the slinkies across my ceiling, I pick up WWVH REALLY strongly, but can't pick up WWV worth poo poo. This is exceedingly odd, considering from my location (Phoenix, AZ) WWV's transmitters in Ft. Collins are MUCH closer to me than WWVH's transmitters in Hawaii. Whassupwidat?

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 2, 2007

java
May 7, 2005

AstroZamboni posted:

Congrats!

So I tried the Deegen DE11 last night, I have to say, I was pretty impressed. I tried it out around 6:00 UTC, so it was relatively quiet around here, but I was able to pick up a ton of HAM operators. When I unplugged the antenna for comparison, I could hear them at all. It also helped me get past some local interference nicely. Very clean signal. Overall, I'm very impressed for such a cheap investment.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Well, I'm sold. Getting rid of local interference is a big deal for me. Hopefully I'll actually have money to buy one soon.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
I've had my E5 for about 2 weeks now and it's great. I picked up a special on rap music from CRI, and you really haven't lived until you've heard Chinese rap. I bought a copy of the Passport to World Band Radio (2007 ed.) and it's been very handy.

Before I got the radio, I really didn't understand how handy 700 presets would be. Now I do, I'm using a page for each different region/country. And being able to 'name' the page makes it very easy. For instance on my CRI page I have all the freq's that I've recieved CRI on, ditto Cuba, Taiwan, etc etc.

I live outside of Kansas City, (rural). My house is on kind of a slope, so that the back yard is much lower than the front yard. But I really don't want to put an antenna in the front yard. Right now I'm using what came with the radio, this is all well and good for the summer, but for the winter I want to listen in the comfort of my basement and not worry about it. Anyway, I'm looking at the Kaito K31/33 to stick on my picture window and drop a line thru the register to the basment. Any of you have any experience with this antenna?

I'm doing ok with the long wire, I just want options. Oh, and I picked up Egyptian Radio at about 1:00 UTC on 12050 - some chanting (almost sounded native American) for about 30 minutes.

Oh, and do any of you use antenna tuners? If you do and have a schematic and pic's I'd like to see. Great thread, I would say it took me 3 weeks to go from lurking to buying.

porktree fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 3, 2007

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Last night I was tuning around the aeronautical bands, and I heard some pilot telling somebody on the ground (who's signal was weaker, and I couldn't make out what they were saying) the following nugget of information:

"Jack, I'm coming in for a landing right now and I wanted you to know that you're a grade-A rear end in a top hat."

:wtc:

overflow
Dec 20, 2001

Finally got around to recording some comparisons of the magnetic loop antenna versus others. This is a recording from my radio with the built-in whip, then the Sony AN-LP1, and finally the magnetic loop antenna. Keep in mind this is a VERY weak pirate signal from "Captain Morgan" on 6295U. Radio is a Sony ICF-2010.

0-22 seconds = built-in whip antenna
22-42 seconds = Sony AN-LP1
42-60 seconds = magnetic loop

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

overflow posted:

Finally got around to recording some comparisons of the magnetic loop antenna versus others. This is a recording from my radio with the built-in whip, then the Sony AN-LP1, and finally the magnetic loop antenna. Keep in mind this is a VERY weak pirate signal from "Captain Morgan" on 6295U. Radio is a Sony ICF-2010.

0-22 seconds = built-in whip antenna
22-42 seconds = Sony AN-LP1
42-60 seconds = magnetic loop

Holy poo poo, that certainly speaks louder than words. Thanks for providing the clip. Soon, so soon, construction on mine will begin.

Edit: Is it wrong that a part of me wants to start a Something Awful based pirate shortwave station?

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 4, 2007

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

AstroZamboni posted:

Last night I was tuning around the aeronautical bands, and I heard some pilot telling somebody on the ground (who's signal was weaker, and I couldn't make out what they were saying) the following nugget of information:

"Jack, I'm coming in for a landing right now and I wanted you to know that you're a grade-A rear end in a top hat."

:wtc:

Aeronautical bands?

Shortwave is only used for air navigation on long-haul oceanic routes, not for anything involving landings or tower approaches. Can you remember what frequency that was and I'll check it against the world allocations for aircraft comms?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

thehustler posted:

Aeronautical bands?

Shortwave is only used for air navigation on long-haul oceanic routes, not for anything involving landings or tower approaches. Can you remember what frequency that was and I'll check it against the world allocations for aircraft comms?

I believe you may be wrong on that one. I've picked up lots of smaller aviators in the aeronautical bands here in the states, and also the control tower at San Francisco International Airport.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

AstroZamboni posted:

I believe you may be wrong on that one. I've picked up lots of smaller aviators in the aeronautical bands here in the states, and also the control tower at San Francisco International Airport.

Maybe it's different in the US *shrug* - All I know is that there are certain "zones" in the world, and each one has frequencies assigned for their "central control" to use. EG, Shanwick for the European side of the Atlantic, Gander for the Canadian/American side, and also New York under that. I think Santa Maria is for southern Europe.

So, not really sure what shortwave frequencies are used for towers :)

I'll do some digging.

overflow
Dec 20, 2001

AstroZamboni posted:

Holy poo poo, that certainly speaks louder than words. Thanks for providing the clip. Soon, so soon, construction on mine will begin.

Edit: Is it wrong that a part of me wants to start a Something Awful based pirate shortwave station?

You're not the only one.. I'm beginning work on a "Commando" transmitter tonight, capable of 20 watts. With 20 watts I should be able to cover most of the US and Canada.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

overflow posted:

You're not the only one.. I'm beginning work on a "Commando" transmitter tonight, capable of 20 watts. With 20 watts I should be able to cover most of the US and Canada.

Utterly badass. I might have to send you some pre-recorded content (insert maniacal laughter here).

overflow
Dec 20, 2001

AstroZamboni posted:

Utterly badass. I might have to send you some pre-recorded content (insert maniacal laughter here).

I have wanted to start a pirate radio station for years now. I guess watching "Pump up the Volume" when I was a teenager inspired me a lot. Right now I'm torn between getting a 30 watt FM Transmitter or doing the shortwave thing (perhaps a simulcast is in order?) With the shortwave pirate station I'd be reaching much further geographically but the audience is limited. With FM it's pretty much the opposite; bigger audience but less geography is covered. The way my apartment is situated, I am the highest point for 10 miles in all directions. I've been trying to put together shows, and it's quite frustrating to come up with enough material for one show let alone many. Most of the content will have to be listener driven (I'm thinking offshore/secure email address for correspondence.) I've already got a program to do the voice changing, as I'm sure someone in a 10 mile radius would recognize my voice. I'm told that the FCC is much more concerned with FM pirates these days than shortwave, so I want to keep it as secretive as possible.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

overflow posted:

I'm told that the FCC is much more concerned with FM pirates these days than shortwave, so I want to keep it as secretive as possible.

That's an interesting question that I was wondering about. Do they care at all if you broadcast a pirate station on shortwave? I mean, it's not like you are interfering with FM bands and stations step all over each other on shortwave all the time anyway. Unless you did something stupid like try to broadcast over an aeronautical band.

And the second part of that question, I suppose, what if you have a valid HAM license? At that point, you're not even a pirate station, are you? You're just a HAM guy that likes to play music and has a strong transmitter. Or is a matter of transmitter power being capped?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Okay, being the bastard that I am I've been editing together snippets of CONET samples to create easily decodeable number messages full of SA catchphrases. I'll post mp3s to tindeck when I get a chance.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

bad mutant vibes posted:

And the second part of that question, I suppose, what if you have a valid HAM license? At that point, you're not even a pirate station, are you? You're just a HAM guy that likes to play music and has a strong transmitter. Or is a matter of transmitter power being capped?

HAM's are only allowed certain bands to play in. It's just as illegal for them to transmit on other frequencies as it is for everybody else. Also, one way communications, ie broadcasting music, aren't allowed.

The FCC posted:

An amateur station shall not engage in any form of broadcasting, nor may an amateur station transmit one-way communications except as specifically provided in these rules; nor shall an amateur station engage in any activity related to program production or news gathering for broadcasting purposes, except that communications directly related to the immediate safety of human life or the protection of property may be provided by amateur stations to broadcasters for dissemination to the public where no other means of communication is reasonably available before or at the time of the event.

overflow
Dec 20, 2001

bad mutant vibes posted:

That's an interesting question that I was wondering about. Do they care at all if you broadcast a pirate station on shortwave? I mean, it's not like you are interfering with FM bands and stations step all over each other on shortwave all the time anyway. Unless you did something stupid like try to broadcast over an aeronautical band.

Well, from what I understand.. the FCC is not the big policing monster of government that it used to be; they've had massive funding cuts in recent years, so it's entirely complaint driven now. Most complaints to the FCC are due to interference (be it TV interference, bleeding on to other station's frequencies, etc.) Most interference comes from poor transmitters or antenna rigs. However, I wouldn't be surpised if some of the bigger FM/AM radio operators (Clearchannel and the like) wouldn't be very happy with someone stealing some of their market share.

HAMs are to abide by very strict rules to communicate on their allocated frequencies. I don't know the rules exactly (maybe a HAM can chime in here,) but I know they are to announce their callsigns frequently, and playing music or copyrighted recordings is strictly forbidden. I do believe there is a cap on transmitter power for HAMs as well. Most pirate stations are in the neighborhood of 5-100 watts. In fact, many pirates are just using HAM gear (many of which can easily be modified to broadcast on FM or AM broadcast bands.) For more info on radio/scanner mods, check out http://www.mods.dk.

overflow fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 4, 2007

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

overflow posted:

Well, from what I understand.. the FCC is not the big policing monster of government that it used to be; they've had massive funding cuts in recent years, so it's entirely complaint driven now. Most complaints to the FCC are due to interference (be it TV interference, bleeding on to other station's frequencies, etc.) Most interference comes from poor transmitters or antenna rigs. However, I wouldn't be surpised if some of the bigger FM/AM radio operators (Clearchannel and the like) wouldn't be very happy with someone stealing any of their market share.

HAMs are to abide by very strict rules to communicate on their allocated frequencies. I don't know the rules exactly (maybe a HAM can chime in here,) but I know they are to announce their callsigns frequently, and playing music or copyrighted recordings is strictly forbidden. I do believe there is a cap on transmitter power for HAMs as well. Most pirate stations are in the neighborhood of 5-100 watts. In fact, many pirates are just using HAM gear (many of which can easily be modified to broadcast on FM or AM broadcast bands.) For more info on radio/scanner mods, check out http://www.mods.dk.

As has been mentioned Hams can't rebroadcast music unless it's a retransmission from the Shuttle/ISS broadcasts. We cannot 'broadcast' to the general public; as we are only licensed to make two way communication with other hams; unless it is a beacon used to evaluate propagation.

Also if you did get caught or someone ratted you out; the FCC would at least send you a nastygram; if not pull your license. That said I'd never partake in pirate radio transmissions as I like my license :) , but I'd love to listen.

EDIT: We have a 1500Watt power limit generally; though there are a stray band or two where we are limited to 200Watts.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Dog Case posted:

HAM's are only allowed certain bands to play in. It's just as illegal for them to transmit on other frequencies as it is for everybody else. Also, one way communications, ie broadcasting music, aren't allowed.

Ah got it, that all makes sense. So it's just a matter of hoping the FCC doesn't give a poo poo, which they probably won't if you broadcast on some godforsaken frequency that no one uses.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Proof that I have too much free time.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

I've decided to scale it back a bit and get an E5, just because 1) I am a poor college student and saving up $500 for an E1 is hard and 2) I just had a birthday and perfect excuse for a birthday present.

I still have my eyes set on an E1, it's just going to be a bit of a while before I get one. I'll give you all a comprehensive review of it once I do.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

AstroZamboni posted:

I'm literally crying. A goon numbers station would be hilarious.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Nostratic posted:

I'm literally crying. A goon numbers station would be hilarious.

Someday, my comrades. Someday.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

AstroZamboni posted:

This is great.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I can't hear what I'm supposed to hear :(

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

I'm having trouble seeing how a pirate shortwave station could operate for long (assuming the transmitter stays in a constant location)-- isn't it trivial to triangulate broadcast position?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Scaevolus posted:

I'm having trouble seeing how a pirate shortwave station could operate for long (assuming the transmitter stays in a constant location)-- isn't it trivial to triangulate broadcast position?

Not always. Ionospheric propagation has to be taken into account, and it isn't always simple to know what direction something is coming from. Typically dozens of reception reports/direction finding attempts over a long period of time spread out over a very large area are necessary to pinpoint a location.

A good case in point is the Lincolnshire Poacher, transmitting from RAF Akrotiri in Cypress. It has apparently been transmitting from that location for nearly 30 years, but has only in the last five been pinpointed to a transmitter site.

• Locked thread