Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ugh, gently caress, that's probably why my Mythbusters is loving MISSING.

I don't have time to watch it during the week, gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Holy poo poo. Is there a way to find out if your cable carrier does this? This might explain certain missing shows for me.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hunh. Nevermind, my mythbusters was, in fact, NOT missing. Go figure. I was just looking on the wrong page of recorded shows :q:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Martytoof posted:

Hunh. Nevermind, my mythbusters was, in fact, NOT missing. Go figure. I was just looking on the wrong page of recorded shows :q:

Does it have a little orange flag next to it?

Mine just recorded the Dirty Jobs re-air at 1 today and it's yet another Discovery show with copy protection bullshit.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Nope.

No copy protection here. Would the fact that I'm on a Series-1 TiVo with old software have anything to do with it, do you think?

Edit: Looks like it was introduced in the 7.0 series software. Sorry guys, condolences!

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 25, 2007

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Could be, could be my tivo is just hosed up or something. But the fact that it's only happening on Discovery Channel shows that first aired this week and nothing else makes me think something's up. Old reruns of Mythbusters etc don't get this.

This is what's happening:
http://www.notonefreename.com/pics/dj1.jpg
http://www.notonefreename.com/pics/dj2.jpg

It's not like it'd take me a week or more to watch them, and I don't really care that I can't copy it off the DVR, but I don't like prepaying $300 for a big chunk of tivo service to have them suddenly start implementing a bunch of DRM nonsense.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

IRQ posted:

Could be, could be my tivo is just hosed up or something. But the fact that it's only happening on Discovery Channel shows that first aired this week and nothing else makes me think something's up. Old reruns of Mythbusters etc don't get this.

This is what's happening:
http://www.notonefreename.com/pics/dj1.jpg
http://www.notonefreename.com/pics/dj2.jpg

It's not like it'd take me a week or more to watch them, and I don't really care that I can't copy it off the DVR, but I don't like prepaying $300 for a big chunk of tivo service to have them suddenly start implementing a bunch of DRM nonsense.
Have you checked the Tivo community forums at all?

My Series 2 Tivo is not doing this. I just went and recovered this week's new Mythbusters (I had deleted it) and it let me set it to "Keep until I delete". I could set Survivorman and Going Tribal for the same retention setting (I hadn't deleted those yet since I haven't watched them).

Who is your cable provider? I have Comcast. I know the cable companies can set the broadcast flag for network shows (without the network doing it network-wide), so maybe your cable company accidentally set the broadcast flag for Discovery (if that's possible).

If it's a Tivo-wide issue, the Tivo Community forums should have something about it. The only other thing I can think of would be if you're recording off the Discovery high-definition simulcast channel and they may have the broadcast flag set for that and not for the SD channel (I'm wondering if that's not the case because it sounds like maybe you have a Series 3/TivoHD)

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It's a series 2 on comcast digital and no HD anything.

It looks like it's happening to absolutely everything on Discovery. I'm going to guess that my cable box is a piece of poo poo (which I already knew) and try analog. Digital costs too much anyway.

edit: Yup, swapping over to analog fixed it. Yet another incident in a long, long line of comcast and comcast related hardware sucking rear end. :argh:

IRQ fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 26, 2007

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

IRQ posted:

It's a series 2 on comcast digital and no HD anything.

It looks like it's happening to absolutely everything on Discovery. I'm going to guess that my cable box is a piece of poo poo (which I already knew) and try analog. Digital costs too much anyway.

edit: Yup, swapping over to analog fixed it. Yet another incident in a long, long line of comcast and comcast related hardware sucking rear end. :argh:
For what it's worth, my Comcast analog cable looks fine coming through my Tivo, although I have terrible eyesight and a small 27" TV. I find no value in digital since I don't want VOD/PPV/music channels.

It must be Comcast sending the broadcast flag then, at least I hope it is. If it's not, then it means Discovery will probably strong-arm Tivo into using it too.

Christian LARPer
Sep 9, 2005
I LIKE TO CALL WOMEN CUNTS WHEN I DISAGREE WITH THEM BECAUSE I'M SUPER FUCKING EDGY. I SHOULD PROBABLY SHUT THE FUCK UP BUT WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO ABOUT IT, CUNT?
I'm really liking the new season of Survivorman, and I'm glad it's no longer a once-a-week show on the Science Channel. Seems like Les is getting a lot of play on Discovery since Bear Grylls was exposed as a phoney. I haven't seen a re-run of Man vs. Wild for weeks.

Edit: I'm still wondering what happened to his sled dogs in the Labrador episode, he got flown out, but what became of the dogs?

Christian LARPer fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Aug 26, 2007

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

KRSNA posted:

Edit: I'm still wondering what happened to his sled dogs in the Labrador episode, he got flown out, but what became of the dogs?

After he let them run off he said they'd make it back to the Inuit camp he borrowed them from. Given how much trouble they gave him wanting to go back in the first place, I believe him when he says they probably did. That, and the Inuit would not lend him a sled team that would not run home at the drop of a hat. Those dogs are very valuable, and they wouldn't stand for them just being loosed into the wild for some silly tv show.

I certainly am not trying to call Les a fraud, but trained sled dogs are not something you just let loose to the fates.

Christian LARPer
Sep 9, 2005
I LIKE TO CALL WOMEN CUNTS WHEN I DISAGREE WITH THEM BECAUSE I'M SUPER FUCKING EDGY. I SHOULD PROBABLY SHUT THE FUCK UP BUT WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO ABOUT IT, CUNT?
Actually I found this on IMDB, From Les' blog.

"I’ve traveled through some beautiful landscapes. Tree studded, rocky hills and frozen lakes. The dogs pulled me fantastically…. until the moment I stepped off the sled and they kept going!

Ok – truth be told – I knew it was coming. I cut them loose along the trail and they will keep going until they meet up with their owner somewhere. This was a planned happening to illustrate what pretty much every musher that ever lived has had happen to them at least once. You make one small mistake and the dogs take off and you are left stranded in the middle of nowhere. There are stories of dogs traveling a hundred miles into town from where they got away from their master.
"

I guess they made it back, those dogs are pretty tough.

Christian LARPer fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Aug 26, 2007

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

KRSNA posted:

I'm really liking the new season of Survivorman, and I'm glad it's no longer a once-a-week show on the Science Channel. Seems like Les is getting a lot of play on Discovery since Bear Grylls was exposed as a phoney. I haven't seen a re-run of Man vs. Wild for weeks.

They're not showing Survivorman on Discovery now because Bear was "exposed as a phoney" - they used to air edited down, 30 minute episodes of Survivorman on Discovery (before Man vs. Wild was even on the network) and they were popular enough they brought over the 1 hour versions from Season 1 and 2.

There's no new episode of Man vs. Wild because it's between seasons right now. Discovery airs their shows on a weird schedule so they have new episodes all throughout the year.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

LordOfThePants posted:

They're not showing Survivorman on Discovery now because Bear was "exposed as a phoney" - they used to air edited down, 30 minute episodes of Survivorman on Discovery (before Man vs. Wild was even on the network) and they were popular enough they brought over the 1 hour versions from Season 1 and 2.

There's no new episode of Man vs. Wild because it's between seasons right now. Discovery airs their shows on a weird schedule so they have new episodes all throughout the year.

In awesome hard to chew bursts of three episodes at a time, with a cool 2-3 month break to wash it all down!

therochester
Jan 31, 2003

by Ozma

Darth Freddy posted:

Yea but Adam is really showing his age.

Does anyone else think that Kari has put on a bunch of weight? Like, enough that it's effecting her cuteness?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

therochester posted:

Does anyone else think that Kari has put on a bunch of weight? Like, enough that it's effecting her cuteness?

I think you made a wrong turn, GBS was a right at Albuquerque.

therochester
Jan 31, 2003

by Ozma
What does that even mean?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

therochester posted:

Old Bugs Bunny line. Whenever he ended up in a place he wasn't supposed to be, he'd say, "I shoulda taken that right turn at Albuquerque."

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

therochester posted:

Unless you mean the GBS thing then its because people in GBS will call a girl fat if she has the slightest amount of a little pudgy on her. Im not talking wow she gained 40 pounds the hambeast but more along the lines of wow she ate a little extra last night it’ll be gone in a few days kind of pudge.

But threat not GBS also hates super skinny girls!

Sparta
Aug 14, 2003

the other white meat
Petition to rename thread 'Mike Rowe Channel Megathread'.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Has anyone else got some seriously hosed up audio on Dirty Jobs right now?

Mother Russia
Aug 11, 2007
kiss me in the futuristic
I want to name something Porkloinio. Also the 120PSI skull punching was awesome. It made the skull look like an eggshell with a dent in it.

Also I don't think Kari's gained much, if any weight... She still looks to be in good shape and is still rediculously pretty.

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

Mother Russia posted:

I want to name something Porkloinio. Also the 120PSI skull punching was awesome. It made the skull look like an eggshell with a dent in it.

Also I don't think Kari's gained much, if any weight... She still looks to be in good shape and is still rediculously pretty.

Especially in the superhero outfit. Yowza.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Cash Cab had a cop go up and tap on the window, haha.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Holy poo poo, Mythbusters was pretty much pure awesome tonight. It's been a while since I've been able to say that

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

J33uk posted:

Holy poo poo, Mythbusters was pretty much pure awesome tonight. It's been a while since I've been able to say that

Yeah, I was afraid the show going to be super corny given the subject material and the "changing in the phone booth" thing was kind of silly given that:

A. Of course it can be done
B. Of course it can't be done in a flash or a few seconds

But Kari in a superhero outfit was :pervert: in a strange way and the rest of the show was very good. They seem to be back on track, so hopefully they can keep it up.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I just wished they had had someone in top shape try to climb the wall instead of Adam, simply because everyone in the WORLD knew he couldn't do it. Overall, though, it was a good ep.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I have to say that it was a pretty good episode!

(that, once again, proved the build team can't act :q: )

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
I was really hoping the cable car turn would of worked.

also is any one disappointed they didn’t add 60s batman sound effects to it?

Jamey cuts his line "SMACK"

Car crashes "OOF"

Cannon crashes into the wall “KLANG”

And they should of ended it with.

See you next time kiddies, on the same mythchannel, at the same mythtime for another mythciteing mythepisode of the mythbusters!

Nunu nunu MYTHBUSTERS!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

They needed one of those unbreakable diamond tethers.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

That their grandmother gave them?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

A sign I've watched too many Futurama: when I don't even realize I'm referencing it.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I was profoundly impressed at how functional their batcar was. Not just functional, but how successful they were at operating it. It was so beautiful how their grappling hook, the steel structure, and the little obstacle course worked for them. Obviously a failure because of the impossible instantaneous force on the line, but that they nailed the shot and careened into the fake wall had me really happy like any of their greatest build projects.

Also, that cable ascender that Jamie fashioned was sexy. Almost as sexy as one with reverse gear.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ape Agitator posted:

Also, that cable ascender that Jamie fashioned was sexy. Almost as sexy as one with reverse gear.

I'm personally - as I have marginal knowledge of such things - surprised that he could take tiny a high RPM motor and convert that speed to enough torque to lift a man as fast as it did.

I'm sure there's an explanation that makes sense regarding the conversion, but it was still totally awesome to me.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

IRQ posted:

I'm personally - as I have marginal knowledge of such things - surprised that he could take tiny a high RPM motor and convert that speed to enough torque to lift a man as fast as it did.

I'm sure there's an explanation that makes sense regarding the conversion, but it was still totally awesome to me.

I thought that the way it worked was as you had a small but high RPM based gear, that when its connected to a larger gear it slows the RPM down but manages to produce a lot more torque since you have all the pressure of a small gear being applied to a larger area. Along the lines of the way a bicycle works or a pulley system?

I very well may have my physics messed up on this.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

Oh gently caress you myth busters. They are doing the are visiting episodes where they look back at myths. Right now they are looking back at the myth that Ninjas could catch a speeding arrow out of the air. Now this has been proven on Ripplys believe it or not, other Tv programs and countless books that a lot of karate masters can grab a arrow.

Now do they do this myth? Nope it seems the fans that go to the myth busters site think a ninja can swat away a 9mm bullet…..what the hell myth busters?

Much more and I am going to stop watching the show.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Darth Freddy posted:

Oh gently caress you myth busters. They are doing the are visiting episodes where they look back at myths. Right now they are looking back at the myth that Ninjas could catch a speeding arrow out of the air. Now this has been proven on Ripplys believe it or not, other Tv programs and countless books that a lot of karate masters can grab a arrow.

Now do they do this myth? Nope it seems the fans that go to the myth busters site think a ninja can swat away a 9mm bullet…..what the hell myth busters?

Much more and I am going to stop watching the show.
I guess a fan sent this one in. I think anyone who actually believes this is possible should be forced to demonstrate it themselves. This whole thing just seems like a waste of the build teams time.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Don't forget "can an airbag deploying blow your thumbs off your hands?"

Are Mythbusters fans getting more retarded as time goes by, are they required to do a "fans' choice" episode every so often even if they have poo poo to work with or what?

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

Free Market Gravy posted:

Don't forget "can an airbag deploying blow your thumbs off your hands?"

Are Mythbusters fans getting more retarded as time goes by, are they required to do a "fans' choice" episode every so often even if they have poo poo to work with or what?

No kidding. See the way Jamey is driving, he has his thumbs on top of the wheel and not wrapped around. Almost all drivers ed courses will tell you to do this incase you get in a crash and the wheel gets jerked around that it could break your fingers. So this seems to be a even more useless myth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Darth Freddy posted:

No kidding. See the way Jamey is driving, he has his thumbs on top of the wheel and not wrapped around. Almost all drivers ed courses will tell you to do this incase you get in a crash and the wheel gets jerked around that it could break your fingers. So this seems to be a even more useless myth.

And even if they were in the most vulnerable position, the danger from the airbag is from the cover that blows out flying off and hitting you. An airbag lacks both the force and the mass required to blow two digits off your hands. :doh:

I mean, I know they've done tests and proven things you'd think to impossible possible, but for christ's sake...

• Locked thread