Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Heh, I usually drive with that "vulcan grip." Perhaps that's not such a good idea.

Anyway, like with most revisit/theme episodes, this mainly sucked. The only half-interesting thing that got brought up was Terry musing on RFID credit card info theft. I know only a few cards even use that and that it's probably easier to just steal someone's number, but that might at least be a decent segment. Maybe with testing the myriad of ways paranoid people try to prevent that, like wrapping your card in foil or something, I don't know, there must be myths about this as retarded as people get over RFID.

edit: vvvv Seriously, I've only ever heard it as saying the letters.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 6, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think we found the only person on the planet who pronounces it "ARRFYD" too :pwn:

Mythbusters fans getting stupider: CONFIRMED

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I was glad they revisited the speed-camera myth. I admit I was one of those people who thought the height of the camera made a difference (although I didn't write into the show about it). Where I used to work, a guy had one of those bubble plate blockers and just from the parking lot it looked like it would work from above, but not at the height they had the original camera mounted.

I never expected anything else to work but it was good to see them revisit it.

I'd like to see them do more RFID myths (like stealing credit card info from afar) but I don't know if they'd be able to make that interesting enough.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
I'm sure it's been mentioned already, but I love Cash Cab. Great host, great premise. I love the moment when people realize they're in the Cash Cab who've seen the show on TV already.

At any rate, that and How It's Made are definitely great shows, ones that I love. I also dig Mike Rowe.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

LordOfThePants posted:

I was glad they revisited the speed-camera myth. I admit I was one of those people who thought the height of the camera made a difference (although I didn't write into the show about it). Where I used to work, a guy had one of those bubble plate blockers and just from the parking lot it looked like it would work from above, but not at the height they had the original camera mounted.

I never expected anything else to work but it was good to see them revisit it.

Same here, particularly the "film" that did distort the plate based on the angle. I never bothered to really think about it or suggest a revisit, though, because while I knew a different angle would make a difference, if it actually distorted the plate, it would have been outlawed and not be commercially available.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Maybe I'm just jaded but I have to question whether they'd actually air something that did successfully and repeatedly make a speed camera fail to issue a ticket. Even with their typical "it's possible but its stupid and you shouldn't do it" warning.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Free Market Gravy posted:

Same here, particularly the "film" that did distort the plate based on the angle. I never bothered to really think about it or suggest a revisit, though, because while I knew a different angle would make a difference, if it actually distorted the plate, it would have been outlawed and not be commercially available.

Eh, the change from 5 feet to 10 feet given the distance to the car makes the change in angle minuscule. Yeah there's a difference if you're standing right by the trunk and looking down on it, but the camera would have to be taking pictures almost straight down rather than 20 feet away or however far it is.

I thought that myth was terribly stupid the first time around and wish they hadn't redone it. But most of their stuff these days is completely :rolleyes: anyway.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
It was a mixed bag for me. I enjoyed the tire-air concept, which is one I've seen in movies a lot of times. The bullet slap was silly, took too much time, and probably one person in the world considers it possible.

The speed test was the one that legitimately deserved a revisit so that was cool. And the rocket car was just something awesome so I didn't mind.

The RFID one was a little silly, but demonstrating it was probably worth the small amount of screentime devoted to it. Also, I give them credit for implanting Kari with it. Above and beyond the call of duty.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

That's true. That needle was loving enormous.

17thEngineer
Jun 14, 2007

"Deceive to defeat!"

IRQ posted:

That needle was loving enormous.

The amount of force the doc had to use before the needle finally broke through the skin made me cringe. She seemed to drugged up to mind, though.

However overall the show seems to be going downhill, I watched a rerun from Season 1 a while back and there is nothing left of the old "Build an incredibly complicated machine for something simple" mentality. I miss everything failing in a spectacular way a couple of times before they finally get a result.. :( Ah well, it couldn't last forever I guess.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The only place I've heard about the thumbs thing is in demolition derby. You don't hook your thumbs in because someone could hit your wheels or front-end and jerk the steering wheel around, which would catch your thumbs.

In that environment, it makes sense. Trying to protect against that kind of thing in normal driving is just silly.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Free Market Gravy posted:

Sort of on the same subject, I saw a pimped out Cadillac one day that had some sort of cover over the plate that blocked out 50% of the plate depending on what angle you were looking at it. I was behind the car and could only read the three digits on one side, when it merged to the left lane I could read the other side.

Also, for those fans of Cash Cab, the host played a small part on an episode if The Knights of Prosperity (canceled ABC sitcom that was actually pretty funny). They have full episodes online, here's the show's website:

http://abc.go.com/primetime/theknightsofprosperity/index

The episode was titled "Operation: Ralph"

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Mother Russia posted:

I want to name something Porkloinio. Also the 120PSI skull punching was awesome. It made the skull look like an eggshell with a dent in it.

Also I don't think Kari's gained much, if any weight... She still looks to be in good shape and is still rediculously pretty.

I didn't really care for that skull punching thing. Back in high school, I was playing catcher in softball in gym class, and the first baseman threw the ball to me and managed to clobber me in the side of the head with it. I had very distinct stitch marks from the ball where I'd been hit, and I know that ball couldn't possibly have hit me at anywhere close to 120 PSI.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
I was hoping they'd try a .45ACP in the bullet swatting test, seeing as it's fairly slow moving for a bullet (somewhere in the 700-800fps range), rather than just trying bog standard 9mm rounds.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Capn Beeb posted:

I was hoping they'd try a .45ACP in the bullet swatting test, seeing as it's fairly slow moving for a bullet (somewhere in the 700-800fps range), rather than just trying bog standard 9mm rounds.

Something tells me that the people at mythbusters don’t really know much about firearms. Though I do think its filmed in California so you cant blame them.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Darth Freddy posted:

Something tells me that the people at mythbusters don’t really know much about firearms. Though I do think its filmed in California so you cant blame them.
If it's true that Jamie was in the Special Forces at one time then he knows way more than he lets on.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

nmfree posted:

If it's true that Jamie was in the Special Forces at one time then he knows way more than he lets on.

I've never heard that he was in the special forces. His wiki page says nothing about it either.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamie_Hyneman

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

AFewBricksShy posted:

I've never heard that he was in the special forces. His wiki page says nothing about it either.

I don't know about the special forces thing, but I've said it before and I'll say it again: I think there's a LOT about Jamie that no one but he really knows. He's either a very stoic, humorless and reserved guy for no real reason or he's got a closet full of secrets.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

AFewBricksShy posted:

There's been rumors floating around forever that he was spec ops of some sort because - if I remember right - he just started doing underwater demolition out of nowhere or something like that.

I think it's mainly just internet people.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

IRQ posted:

There's been rumors floating around forever that he was spec ops of some sort because - if I remember right - he just started doing underwater demolition out of nowhere or something like that.

I think it's mainly just internet people.

I wonder if that's the same thing as people saying Mr. Rogers was an Army Ranger.
I've also heard he wore the sweaters because he had tattoos on his arms.

I don't think that's the case.
http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/mrrogers.asp
haha.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Sep 7, 2007

17thEngineer
Jun 14, 2007

"Deceive to defeat!"

Turtle Repairman posted:

I had very distinct stitch marks from the ball where I'd been hit, and I know that ball couldn't possibly have hit me at anywhere close to 120 PSI.

Yeah the way they did that myth irked me too. I can't count the times I've had the imprint of someone's shoe on me after a nice round of soccer. Not to mention the fact that a buddy of mine ran head first into a goal post and had a nice triangle on his forehead from the system that locked the goal post into the ground. And no, my team wasn't in danger of winning any Nobel prizes anytime soon.

As far as the myth is concerned, I think it mainly had to do with the fact that they only stretched a thin layer of skin directly over the bone. However all the things that 'cause' the bruise were left out.

Meh, I guess it gives them an excuse to go do it again. Throw in a few cheesy lines and Kari acting all hyped up about it, and they can probably stretch it into another 15 minute segment.

On the bright side, Dirty Jobs is finally picking up over here. I gotta say that it's a lot more fun to watch then I thought and Mike is responsible for that in a big way. How he doesn't break down and cry because of the stress is amazing though, he must really love what he does.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Capn Beeb posted:

I think they said they were the weakest 9mm they could find.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

smackfu posted:

I think they said they were the weakest 9mm they could find.

That they did, but .45ACP is even slower :) Watch this to see how slow it moves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3kNH3_cytE

That and tracers are cool :shobon:

As for Jamie having some sort of specops spook background, I would not be the least bit surprised. If not that, then some substantial skeletons in his closet. :tinfoil:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Capn Beeb posted:

As for Jamie having some sort of specops spook background, I would not be the least bit surprised. If not that, then some substantial skeletons in his closet. :tinfoil:

Countdown to Jamie having some sort of horrible flashback and snapping Adam in two like a toothpick.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Anybody going to watch Decoding Nostrodamus?

I don't believe he predicted a damned thing, myself. I read James Randi's book about him and one the major points Randi made was that none of Nostrodamus' original manuscripts exist. All we have are copies of copies of copies. He also noted that the interpretations changed throughout the years based on the morality and political climate of the time.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Guh, goddamn. I just hooked up my HD service and it turns out I have Discovery HD Theater, but not plain loving Discovery HD, so no loving simulcast Mythbusters for me :argh:

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Anybody going to watch Decoding Nostrodamus?

I don't believe he predicted a damned thing, myself. I read James Randi's book about him and one the major points Randi made was that none of Nostrodamus' original manuscripts exist. All we have are copies of copies of copies. He also noted that the interpretations changed throughout the years based on the morality and political climate of the time.
Unless you're the type of person who reads Weekly World News, you should be able to figure out that Nostradamus did not predict the future. If you write some vague stuff predicting doom and publish it, someone someday will be able to interpret it as talking about events that are current to them.

I've been increasingly disappointed with Mythbusters over the past year or so. I would say the series peaked at the Confederate rocket episode. When they did "you can't teach an old dog new tricks", I started to worry about the show's future. When did it become "Colloquialphrasebusters"? Eventually they'll run out of myths to test, and then what? They can only test good "movie myths" for so long before the run out of even that stuff.

A friend of mine had an idea that I thought was absolutely brilliant. Either adapt the show or create a spin-off that is dedicated to MacGyver. Each episode of this show would be a companion to an episode of the series MacGyver, testing out the two or three MacGyverisms that always got Angus out of a jam.

Recharging a lead-acid battery with wine? Maybe. Definitely interesting to see. Plugging a radio into a cactus and using it to triangulate a missile? I don't think so. It's a treasure trove!

Edit: vvv The very first time I saw that episode, the TV was on mute for that segment so I didn't hear his explanation. I wondered briefly if MacGyver was challenging the avalanche's play and wanted the refs to review it.

McGravin fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 12, 2007

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

McGravin posted:

Recharging a lead-acid battery with wine? Maybe. Definitely interesting to see. Plugging a radio into a cactus and using it to triangulate a missile? I don't think so. It's a treasure trove!

Whether they confirm it or not, I'll always believe that you could use a weighted handkerchief and a hollow ski pole to shoot out a distress signal when caught in an avalanche.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Why would anyone question the validity of MacGyver's genius? :colbert:

BobTheCornCob
Jul 24, 2003

Ripe & Sweet!!

McGravin posted:

A friend of mine had an idea that I thought was absolutely brilliant. Either adapt the show or create a spin-off that is dedicated to MacGyver. Each episode of this show would be a companion to an episode of the series MacGyver, testing out the two or three MacGyverisms that always got Angus out of a jam.

That's a brilliant idea and one that would breathe some much-needed life into this ailing show. Now if they could at the same time somehow tie Mike Rowe into the show, it would be a :master:!

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

IRQ posted:

Why would anyone question the validity of MacGyver's genius? :colbert:

Because he turned into a gross Green Peace hippie, which eventually killed the show. :colbert:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Capn Beeb posted:

Because he turned into a gross Green Peace hippie, which eventually killed the show. :colbert:

Ok but he did do some cool poo poo up until the last season or so when it became an after school special (do they even do after school specials anymore?)

Besides which, he was needed elsewhere to kill megalomaniacal space slug parasites and save the world.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

Is this parody show new or did I miss it when it originally aired? Some of this stuff is actually pretty loving funny.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Ogresmash posted:

Is this parody show new or did I miss it when it originally aired? Some of this stuff is actually pretty loving funny.
It's a repeat, but I think they're planning on a new one. On either Mythbusters or Dirty Jobs, the hosts were asking for parody videos.

The Deadliest Catch spoof where they're making cookies was hilarious.

Syncopator
Jul 21, 2006

by Ozma

Go Team Venture! posted:

How It's Made
I heard that the 9th season has been finished, and soon it should be coming to America:neckbeard:

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Why so much disdain for A Haunting? I mean, aside from the fact that the subject matter is sketchy and the commercial buffer editing is epileptic at best, it's still entertaining. It's like Ghost Hunters, but without the disappointment.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Aeolius posted:

Why so much disdain for A Haunting? I mean, aside from the fact that the subject matter is sketchy and the commercial buffer editing is epileptic at best, it's still entertaining. It's like Ghost Hunters, but without the disappointment.

I think it's a combination of the subject matter and it feeling a lot like a pre-produced fiction program with a writing team, which is a side effect of it being based on questionably-realistic material.

It's a fun way to blow an hour if you have nothing to do, but I don't believe in ghosts and I'd never actively set out to watch it.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Bumping this because it seems like there are new episodes of Dirty Jobs, Mythbusters, and Man vs. Wild (I know, I know) on Discovery now.

In addition, they're going to be airing "Everest: Beyond the Limit" starting next week. It looks like it might actually be a new series (the date in my Tivo guide is 2007), but even if it's the original series, it's very cool and you should check it out. It will be shown in HD on the Discovery HD simulcast channel too if you get that.

They're also going to reair Planet Earth starting November 11th, so it looks like a good set of programming coming up on Discovery Channel.

Dr. Memory
Jul 10, 2001

Ah, fuck the end of the world.
Wow. Jamie was actually having a good time in that episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesus H. Megaman
Jul 3, 2004

It is NEVER too early to think about scotch. THE SUPERBOWL

LordOfThePants posted:

In addition, they're going to be airing "Everest: Beyond the Limit" starting next week. It looks like it might actually be a new series (the date in my Tivo guide is 2007), but even if it's the original series, it's very cool and you should check it out. It will be shown in HD on the Discovery HD simulcast channel too if you get that.

It is a new series featuring a new group of climbers, still the same old grumpy bastard running them up there though.

• Locked thread