Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlienAardvark
Jun 8, 2006

by Fragmaster

AlienAardvark posted:

I'm using drat Small Linux for kiosks; the only problem I'm still having, is that I can't start the browser (firefox or opera) fullscreen. With firefox, I can make it start as fullscreen as I can get it, but I have green line from fluxbox at the bottom of the screen, and at the top I have part of the window title. Opera, if I hit f11 after I start it, it does consume the entire screen, but I can't find a way to make that happen automatically. The -fullscreen, -k, -kioskmode, etc, options, do not appear to do the same thing as F11. Needs to be automatic because this is going to be an unattended dummy terminal.

So, I either need to find a way to make firefox actually full screen (no fluxbox bar at the bottom, no black window title), or I need to find a way to get opera to "hit f11 automatically".

To clarify based on the response I got, I am running the R-Kiosk extension, under FFox 2.0, under drat Small Linux. The problem is that fluxbox is still drawing borders at the top and bottom of the screen, and firefox still displays a window title bar (despite R-Kiosk). For whatever reason, Opera, in fullscreen mode, does not display a titlebar -- however, starting opera with the "-fullscreen" and "-kioskmode" options doesn't really seem to make it fullscreen. I mean, I get a full-screen WINDOW -- but it's still not in "full screen mode". if I press F11 after I'm in Opera at the page I want, then it properly displays everything.

Since Firefox seems like a bust (no combination of F11 and plugins makes the titlebar go away) -- is there any way to tell Opera to press F11 on itself after it's started?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaeseEs
Feb 23, 2007

by Fragmaster

Cancelbot posted:

I have a pretty big question - I find vista to be overkill for my little laptop and wish to dual boot it as Ubuntu for day to day things (coding, web, email etc) and vista for games and windows apps i cant run under ubuntu. The ubuntu partition is only going to be small (around 10-15gb) which should be plenty as my documents/music etc. are stored on external hard drives.

I really dont want to flatten and reinstall vista for this, so can the ubuntu installer repartition my HDD without severely loving everything up? I've defragged my disk and made sure all the files are compacted to the beginning of the drive. Obviously if theres a burnable set of tools that can fix my drive should the worst happen, that would be great :)

The Ubuntu installer will auto-magically shrink your Vista partition, make its own (and a swap partition), and install a bootloader by default. As for any scheme that dicks with partitions and/or the boot sector, back up your important data first.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

AlienAardvark posted:

To clarify based on the response I got, I am running the R-Kiosk extension, under FFox 2.0, under drat Small Linux. The problem is that fluxbox is still drawing borders at the top and bottom of the screen, and firefox still displays a window title bar (despite R-Kiosk). For whatever reason, Opera, in fullscreen mode, does not display a titlebar -- however, starting opera with the "-fullscreen" and "-kioskmode" options doesn't really seem to make it fullscreen. I mean, I get a full-screen WINDOW -- but it's still not in "full screen mode". if I press F11 after I'm in Opera at the page I want, then it properly displays everything.

Since Firefox seems like a bust (no combination of F11 and plugins makes the titlebar go away) -- is there any way to tell Opera to press F11 on itself after it's started?

As I have mentioned already:

teapot posted:

2. You can use Sawfish window manager to disable all decorations, force fullscreen, 0,0 offset and full screen size for all Firefox windows (use "Matched Windows configuration tab in sawfish-ui to generate the matching rules).

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Edit: Welp, never mind.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 5, 2007

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have what I believe is probably an easy Nautilus question. Somehow, somewhere, I changed the default to list view, sorted by name. The only problem is that by default, the sort is descending instead of ascending, meaning ZZZ is sorted before AAA and so on. I know I must be overlooking something incredibly obvious, but damned if I can't figure it out...

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Kobayashi posted:

I have what I believe is probably an easy Nautilus question. Somehow, somewhere, I changed the default to list view, sorted by name. The only problem is that by default, the sort is descending instead of ascending, meaning ZZZ is sorted before AAA and so on. I know I must be overlooking something incredibly obvious, but damned if I can't figure it out...

Forgive the 'obvious' response, but have you tried:

1) View -> Reset view to defaults

2) View -> Arrange items -> Reversed order

The reversed order switch appears to last between nautilus sessions for me when I change it.

Edit:

A more technical response:

Run gconf-editor from a terminal.
Drill down the menu on the left as follows:

/ -> apps -> nautilus -> list_view -> default_sort_in_reverse_order

That checkbox should do the trick.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 5, 2007

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Col posted:

Edit:

A more technical response:

Run gconf-editor from a terminal.
Drill down the menu on the left as follows:

/ -> apps -> nautilus -> list_view -> default_sort_in_reverse_order

That checkbox should do the trick.

Thank goodness for that edit! I was starting to get a create screenshots because I don't have "Arrange items" in my View menu. I don't recall rummaging through gconf settings, but that must have been what I did. In any case, thanks, your advice worked.

TheCobraEffect
Jan 10, 2003
Snipes's bitch.

teapot posted:

Slackware does not come with this module, and I can't find slackware package of it for that kernel, so you have to compile it yourself.

1. Download the source (CVS snapshot of rt2500 ) from http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Downloads

2. Unpack the source:
code:
$ tar xvzf rt2500-cvs-daily.tar.gz
(will show files starting with rt2500-cvs-2007090322 with current date/hour)
code:
$ cd rt2500-cvs-[i][b]2007090322[/b][/i]/Module
$ make
(should build the module without errors -- I believe, Slackware always has all files/packages necessary for this)

3. Install and load the driver:
As root:
code:
$ make install
$ modprobe rt2500
4. Run ifconfig and iwconfig again to see if the driver works.

Okay, I did all this and it works fine until I get into RutilT. I go to load a profile and it gives me "An error occured. Please try again." I've tryed again a lot, but it won't connect. Is there an error log somewhere so I can see what's broken?

Thanks a ton for your help, by the way!

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

TheCobraEffect posted:

Okay, I did all this and it works fine until I get into RutilT. I go to load a profile and it gives me "An error occured. Please try again." I've tryed again a lot, but it won't connect. Is there an error log somewhere so I can see what's broken?

Just a suggestion as I assume you don't have much experience with Linux. Try running the RutilT utility from the terminal rather than clicking it from a menu - it's likely that you'll be able to see a much more informative error message(s) appear in the terminal.

This generally holds true for all Linux programs and is quite useful when troubleshooting :)

Edit:

Just from a quick google for your card and errors, in case the error messages are hidden, try something like this:

code:
rutilt rausb0 &> debug.log
(where rausb0 is the device name of your wireless card)

This will route all standard error messages into a file called debug.log

(Purely for mega-optional reading, http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/lpt/13_01.html may or may not be interesting on this point.)

Prince John fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 6, 2007

TheCobraEffect
Jan 10, 2003
Snipes's bitch.
Okay, I ran it in the terminal and got an error about gksu and kdesu, googled and found out they're programs that let you type in a password. So I downloaded the source for gksu and libgksu and compiled it, but now it gives me a dependency error,

code:
gksu: error while loading shared libraries: libgksu2.so.0: cannont open shared object file: No such file or directory
So I'm missing a dependency, how do I fix it? I'd apt-get update if I was in ubuntu, but alas, slackware doesn't have package management like that.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

TheCobraEffect posted:

Okay, I ran it in the terminal and got an error about gksu and kdesu, googled and found out they're programs that let you type in a password. So I downloaded the source for gksu and libgksu and compiled it, but now it gives me a dependency error,

code:
gksu: error while loading shared libraries: libgksu2.so.0: cannont open shared object file: No such file or directory
So I'm missing a dependency, how do I fix it? I'd apt-get update if I was in ubuntu, but alas, slackware doesn't have package management like that.
I used a Slackware package manager when I had it installed.

One option:
http://slackpkg.sourceforge.net/

I also remember using
http://swaret.sourceforge.net/

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 6, 2007

TheCobraEffect
Jan 10, 2003
Snipes's bitch.
Slackpkg rocks. I used it to install kde-accessability, and now everything works.

Thanks for all the help.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

TheCobraEffect posted:

Possible driver problems:

It's possible that the snapshot version of the driver for some reason broken -- then you can repeat the same installation procedure with v1.1.0-b4 version instead of snapshot. This procedure is a bit less straightforward because beta version has to be patched to become usable -- I have checked, and source on the web site does not work with recent kernels, so I had to extract the differences from Ubuntu source.

1. Download this file: http://mars.illtel.denver.co.us/~abelits/sa/software/patches/rt2500-1.1.0-b4-fix-2.6.20-16-ubuntu.patch

and place it into the same directory where you run tar when unpacking the sources.

2. Download the source from http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Downloads , however instead of CVS version get beta v1.1.0-b4.

3. Unpack the source the same way:
code:
tar xvzf rt2500-1.1.0-b4.tar.gz 
(it will show directory rt2500-1.1.0-b4)

code:
cd rt2500-1.1.0-b4/Module
Before running "make" apply the patch:

code:
patch -p2 < ../../rt2500-1.1.0-b4-fix-2.6.20-16-ubuntu.patch
Then build the driver the same way as before:

code:
make
This will build the same known-good version that Ubuntu uses.

4. Install and load the driver:
As root:

code:
make install
modprobe rt2500
Edit: You may have to remove the old module before running modprobe if it was already loaded:
code:
ifconfig ra0 down
rmmod rt2500
modprobe rt2500
End of edit

RutilT configuration itself:

You can remove old (potentially broken) configuration/profiles by deleting configuration files:

code:
rm -rf ~/.config/rutilt
and running rutilt again. Look if the "Site Survey" tab to check if it can see the network list, and at "Options" and "RT2500 Wireless" tabs to see configuration.

If those things don't show card/don't allow you to set options, use ifconfig and iwconfig to see the status of the card:

code:
ifconfig ra0
iwconfig ra0

teapot fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 6, 2007

GringoGrande
Jul 27, 2001
Nah...
I'm having some trouble getting joy2key to work properly.

Using the following rc-file
code:
START test
-X
-buttons a A b B
and sending the key events to a gedit window will not produce any lowercase letters at all. Testing them in xev shows that the 'a' and 'A' have the same keycode. What am I doing wrong? I'm using Ubuntu 7.04 and joy2key 1.6.1

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

GringoGrande posted:

I'm having some trouble getting joy2key to work properly.

Using the following rc-file
code:
START test
-X
-buttons a A b B
and sending the key events to a gedit window will not produce any lowercase letters at all. Testing them in xev shows that the 'a' and 'A' have the same keycode. What am I doing wrong? I'm using Ubuntu 7.04 and joy2key 1.6.1

"Uppercase A" is not a key, it's "a" pressed while "Shift_L" is down. I don't think, joy2key supports key combinations.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

A few problems that I've been having either for a while or recently that have started bothering me enough to ask about.
First, some potentially relevant info:
I'm on an AMD Athlon 64x2 system, ATI x850xl video card, running Debian unstable w/ gnome and ati fglrx drivers. output of uname -a:
Linux jstultz-deb 2.6.22-1-amd64 #1 SMP Sun Jul 29 13:54:41 UTC 2007 x86_64 GNU/Linux

1) It seems that whenever I logoff, restart, shutdown, or basically doing anything involving shutting down x windows, my computer totally shits itself as soon as it tries to do so. What exactly is happening to me is mostly unclear, because both of my monitors go blank and the computer ceases to do anything else. The only thing indicating to me that it's a lockup and not just a loss of video is the fact that caps/num lock don't work, but beyond that, I don't get any info as to what the hell is going on.

I don't often logoff or restart, but when I do this makes me very uneasy. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this or got any tips for where to start debugging it? I've been using linux for a while but haven't ever had any major problems like this so I don't really know where to start.

2) Firefox (Iceweasel)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.8.1.6) Gecko/20070723 Iceweasel/2.0.0.6 (Debian-2.0.0.6-1)
Often, when the browser is loading a page in any window or tab, the browser windows become completely unresponsive. No response to key presses or mouse clicks; not even a redraw of the window. It's becoming increasingly frequent and for increasingly long periods of time, and it's become an exercise in frustration to browse the internet. Again, anyone ever heard of this happening or got any ideas on where to start debugging?

Apologies if this should have gone in the haus of tech support, but I happened to have this thread opened already, and with the issues I'm having with the browser, it would seriously have taken on the order of half an hour to load appropriate thread or create a new one and post. It's that bad.

Thanks.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

jstultz posted:

A few problems that I've been having either for a while or recently that have started bothering me enough to ask about.
First, some potentially relevant info:
I'm on an AMD Athlon 64x2 system, ATI x850xl video card, running Debian unstable w/ gnome and ati fglrx drivers. output of uname -a:
Linux jstultz-deb 2.6.22-1-amd64 #1 SMP Sun Jul 29 13:54:41 UTC 2007 x86_64 GNU/Linux

1) It seems that whenever I logoff, restart, shutdown, or basically doing anything involving shutting down x windows, my computer totally shits itself as soon as it tries to do so. What exactly is happening to me is mostly unclear, because both of my monitors go blank and the computer ceases to do anything else. The only thing indicating to me that it's a lockup and not just a loss of video is the fact that caps/num lock don't work, but beyond that, I don't get any info as to what the hell is going on.

I don't often logoff or restart, but when I do this makes me very uneasy. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this or got any tips for where to start debugging it? I've been using linux for a while but haven't ever had any major problems like this so I don't really know where to start.

fglrx bugs. Extremely annoying, and possibly fixed in the later versions, however I don't know because latest released version breaks Xgl, and I am trying to use it.

quote:

2) Firefox (Iceweasel)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.8.1.6) Gecko/20070723 Iceweasel/2.0.0.6 (Debian-2.0.0.6-1)
Often, when the browser is loading a page in any window or tab, the browser windows become completely unresponsive. No response to key presses or mouse clicks; not even a redraw of the window. It's becoming increasingly frequent and for increasingly long periods of time, and it's become an exercise in frustration to browse the internet. Again, anyone ever heard of this happening or got any ideas on where to start debugging?
I haven't seen it, but it's possible that your DNS server does not respond fast/reliably enough. Try to install a caching nameserver and set your nameserver to localhost.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

teapot posted:

fglrx bugs. Extremely annoying, and possibly fixed in the later versions, however I don't know because latest released version breaks Xgl, and I am trying to use it.
I kinda suspected it had something to do with the ati drivers. Are there any workarounds that you know of? I'd just really like to have a way to cleanly shutdown my computer those few times that it's necessary.

teapot posted:

I haven't seen it, but it's possible that your DNS server does not respond fast/reliably enough. Try to install a caching nameserver and set your nameserver to localhost.
I'll give that a try when I get home from work. Seems plausible, as it does seem like it locks up most often when loading content from other domains embedded in pages. Why, though, should that take out the whole browser with it? The only instances I've seen where a browser becomes unusable because of pages loading in the background in other tabs/windows is with Firefox under Linux. It's a huge killer for me because I'm in the habit of loading up a bunch of pages in new tabs all at once while reading something else.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
Thanks to everyone who helped me in this thread.

I have a couple more questions:
I've recompiled a custom kernel with HIGHMEM support, but I still think my system feels a bit sluggish. Looking at `ps aux` tells me I have around 83 processes taking up nearly 1.7 gigs of ram. (Out of two)

The output of `ps aux` is here: http://silenceisdefeat.org/~jo/processes.list.txt

Should all these be running? It seems like a lot of memory taken up for just the base system and one or two apps.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Jo posted:

Thanks to everyone who helped me in this thread.

I have a couple more questions:
I've recompiled a custom kernel with HIGHMEM support, but I still think my system feels a bit sluggish. Looking at `ps aux` tells me I have around 83 processes taking up nearly 1.7 gigs of ram. (Out of two)

The output of `ps aux` is here: http://silenceisdefeat.org/~jo/processes.list.txt

Should all these be running? It seems like a lot of memory taken up for just the base system and one or two apps.

No, this is perfectly normal. Take into account that long before Vista's prefetch Linux started to use huge amounts of free RAM for file buffers to speed up disk I/O.

Sluggishness is often caused by disabled DMA on hard drives (use hdparm to check) and bad configuration of the graphics driver in X.

adante
Sep 18, 2003
i have a removable hdd on windows. On my linux htpc I usually mount this with smbmount //windows-desktop/y ~/somedir.

Occassionally this drive becomes inaccessible because remove it, turn off windows box etc. This is usually followed by the htpc box failing pretty ungracefully. Anything that tries to access ~/somedir or perform a directory listing of the parent dir (ie my ~) will block for 3-4 minutes before failing. This includes trying to remount the share. This is pretty inconvenient.

Is there a way to get this to handle a little more gracefully? ideally, when I try to access ~/somedir I wouldn't want it to block for more than 3-4 seconds - if it fails, I would like it to do something like attempt to remount once (just incase my computer was turned off but reconnected) before failing again. Is this possible?

Entheogen
Aug 30, 2004

by Fragmaster
I am having trouble running a remote GLUT application through SSH. Glut says the display with necessary capabilities is not found. I use ssh -Y or ssh -X to connect to remote server, and I on my end have mesa3d is installed. Programs like emacs start fine remotely in their own GUI window.

I tried doin this through cygwin while running an x-server, and I get similar errors. What am I doing wrong? Why would it be so much trouble to run an OpenGL application remotely?

GringoGrande
Jul 27, 2001
Nah...
I'm running rtorrent and dtach on a remote computer and I'm trying to figure out a way to create an alias that logs in and brings up the session straight away, instead of logging in and manually bringing it up. Has anyone had any luck with this?

edit: goddamnit. As soon as I posted this, I got it working :( I had overlooked ssh's -t switch.

GringoGrande fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 10, 2007

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I'm running Ubuntu 7.04 on a 32-bit system, I have an 8800 GTS. I have a dual monitor setup via TwinView. Here's my xorg.conf. Everything is working fine, except that if I turn on the desktop effects via system -> preferences -> desktop effects, maximized windows that I have on my right screen start jumping to the left screen. If I have a window on my left screen, whenever it re-gains focus (if I switch desktops or if I switch to another app and then back to the original one), it jumps to the left screen, with that animated effect. It's utterly annoying.
If I turn off the desktop effects, windows stay where they are put, but I'd really like to have the desktop effects cause they are neat.
Any suggestions?

cheesypeanut
Apr 4, 2004
w3rd. ngr wut.

GringoGrande posted:

I'm running rtorrent and dtach on a remote computer and I'm trying to figure out a way to create an alias that logs in and brings up the session straight away, instead of logging in and manually bringing it up. Has anyone had any luck with this?

edit: goddamnit. As soon as I posted this, I got it working :( I had overlooked ssh's -t switch.

Would you care to share the solution? I've had an alias set up for a while however when I log back in all of rtorrent's keybindings are messed up. Have you experienced this?

GringoGrande
Jul 27, 2001
Nah...

cheesypeanut posted:

Would you care to share the solution? I've had an alias set up for a while however when I log back in all of rtorrent's keybindings are messed up. Have you experienced this?
This is the alias that gets the job done:
code:
alias remotetorrent='ssh -t $remote_box "dtach -A /home/$USER/.dtach/rtorrent rtorrent -e \$"'
ssh's -t switch forces a pseudo-tty which is handy for ncurses programs.
With dtach's -A switch, it will try connecting to the socket and create it if it doesn't exist. The -e switch is just the key to detach from the socket.

The only weird thing I have noticed is that the arrow keys are all screwed up for navigation, they are adjusting the throttles instead. You can still navigate with ^P (up), ^N (down), ^B (back/left) and ^F (forward/right). A bit awkward at first, but it's not that big of a deal once you get used to it.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Entheogen posted:

I am having trouble running a remote GLUT application through SSH. Glut says the display with necessary capabilities is not found. I use ssh -Y or ssh -X to connect to remote server, and I on my end have mesa3d is installed. Programs like emacs start fine remotely in their own GUI window.

I tried doin this through cygwin while running an x-server, and I get similar errors. What am I doing wrong? Why would it be so much trouble to run an OpenGL application remotely?

Remote OpenGL applications should work without any problems as long as you have GLX supported on your X server. Having rendering libraries on the local desktop isn't enough for this to work.

In Xorg you need:
code:
Section "Module"

Load  "glx"

EndSection
in xorg.conf

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Bonus posted:

I'm running Ubuntu 7.04 on a 32-bit system, I have an 8800 GTS. I have a dual monitor setup via TwinView. Here's my xorg.conf. Everything is working fine, except that if I turn on the desktop effects via system -> preferences -> desktop effects, maximized windows that I have on my right screen start jumping to the left screen. If I have a window on my left screen, whenever it re-gains focus (if I switch desktops or if I switch to another app and then back to the original one), it jumps to the left screen, with that animated effect. It's utterly annoying.
If I turn off the desktop effects, windows stay where they are put, but I'd really like to have the desktop effects cause they are neat.
Any suggestions?

I don't have a box where I can test it, however it is possible that those problems were fixed in compiz fusion, so I guess, you can check it in
their forums. My Ubuntu 7.04 laptop uses Compiz Fusion from Trevino repository, however thanks to its ATI graphics card and fglrx driver, it has no AIGLX and doesn't seem to have a way to explain Xgl how to support dual screen on it.

Mr. DNA
Aug 9, 2004

Megatronics?
Could someone explain to me how the 'clipboard' (is that the correct term in Linux?) normally behaves? I'm running Ubuntu 7.04 with the default Gnome and Nautilus. For example, if I copy some text in Firefox, close the Firefox window, then open up another program and try to paste the text, it is lost. Unless I leave the source application running, I can't copy and paste between two programs. Is this normal?

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Mr. DNA posted:

Could someone explain to me how the 'clipboard' (is that the correct term in Linux?) normally behaves? I'm running Ubuntu 7.04 with the default Gnome and Nautilus. For example, if I copy some text in Firefox, close the Firefox window, then open up another program and try to paste the text, it is lost. Unless I leave the source application running, I can't copy and paste between two programs. Is this normal?

Selection exists while it is selected, so it disappears when application exits. Clipboard can be persistent, though only in modern desktop environments that support it. Selection can be pasted without actually being copied to clipboard, what causes a lot of confusion for Windows and Mac users. And to make things even less clear, Firefox seems to not support persistent clipboard for some reason.

teapot fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 11, 2007

Entheogen
Aug 30, 2004

by Fragmaster

teapot posted:

Remote OpenGL applications should work without any problems as long as you have GLX supported on your X server. Having rendering libraries on the local desktop isn't enough for this to work.

In Xorg you need:
code:
Section "Module"

Load  "glx"

EndSection
in xorg.conf

I can't find xorg.conf How do I get to it? I did the search for file "xorg.conf" and it turned up nothing.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Entheogen posted:

I can't find xorg.conf How do I get to it? I did the search for file "xorg.conf" and it turned up nothing.

Check /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Entheogen
Aug 30, 2004

by Fragmaster

jstultz posted:

Check /etc/X11/xorg.conf

it is not there. would it be ok to create a new file with that name and put

code:
Section "Module"

Load  "glx"

EndSection
there?

minues the ... of course.

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.
I read the man page for echo, but could not find the answer to my question. What I am looking for is a command that disables output from a script.

code:
#!/usr/bin/expect -f
spawn ssh -l user the.domain.org
expect "Password:"
send  "password\r"
interact
I have that in /bin/ and chmod +x. What I want is for it to not echo what it is doing until it connects to the computer.

Thanks in advance.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
What technically happens when i run wget webforum.com -r -l 50

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Entheogen posted:

it is not there. would it be ok to create a new file with that name and put

code:
Section "Module"

Load  "glx"

EndSection
there?

minues the ... of course.

What OS/version/distribution is it (and what is the version of the same on the remote box)? If it uses XFree86 instead of Xorg, it will have XF86Config or XF86Config-4 with more or less the same format, though if you have that I recommend to upgrade it to something more recent.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Crush posted:

I read the man page for echo, but could not find the answer to my question. What I am looking for is a command that disables output from a script.

code:
#!/usr/bin/expect -f
spawn ssh -l user the.domain.org
expect "Password:"
send  "password\r"
interact
I have that in /bin/ and chmod +x.

What I want is for it to not echo what it is doing until it connects to the computer.

Thanks in advance.

Don't use passwords and expect when you can use ssh keys. Generate your own key, and copy the public key into .ssh/authorized_keys so it will allow you to login without password.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Christobevii3 posted:

You will send shitloads upon shitloads of requests to Webforum Europe AB web site that seems to be completely dynamic and running on Windows. Not good.

Al Azif
Nov 1, 2006

Christobevii3 posted:

What teapot said. More specifically, it downloads http://webforum.com/, then downloads every page/file/whatever that that links to, then downloads everything that those link to, etc. for 50 iterations of "downloads everything those link to".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.

teapot posted:

Don't use passwords and expect when you can use ssh keys. Generate your own key, and copy the public key into .ssh/authorized_keys so it will allow you to login without password.

Okay, but what if I have a script almost exactly like that for logging into a different computer for FTP access? How would I get rid of the echoing of what it is doing?