Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Love, Justice, and Mid-Season Upgrades Steam-Powered Robots.

Morgenthau posted:

I could never grasp the reason of the support attack/block. They're just too random. :(

poo poo, that's cold; no wonder she wears that coat all the time.

Tenkai looks awfully constipated with his squeaky old voice though. Perhaps the absence of anything below the waist has doomed him to try to pass out the log he never could?

As far as I can tell, the support attack/blocks happen at the most inconvenient and the most necessary times, respectively.

I guess Tenkai's just evolved past having to actually USE legs. Or bowels, for that matter. He's probably exuding a couple of metric tons per second of waste matter in the form of all those fancy flames and spiritual energy.

quote:

About Tenkai, and why he's moaning about revenge, (snip) I guess something bad must have happened to him in the afterlife for him to come up to seek revenge.

I think he's just a dick. The manga shows an ancient illustration of him unleashing a horde of Wakiji on a bunch of samurai, so... well.

D_I_S_D posted:

I've been realy enjoying this LP. Quick observation: why not hit Kage with those "special attacks" that the tower level taught you?

Normally games have "use-the-game-mechanic-we-just-taught-you-to-defeat-the-boss" built in. As the level just taught you about the special attacks I would be surprised if Kage wasn't weak against them.

Glad you're liking this thread! :unsmith:

The thing about the special attacks is that they don't actually do damage in themselves. Furthermore, they burn a chunk of your spirit energy gauge, which (in the short run, and in my honest and unstrategic opinion) is better used to unleash your 150~200 damage final attacks.

Tomn posted:

In particular, it sounds like the "lower defense" special attack would be of good use. Wouldn't it?

Sakura's special attack doesn't actually lower enemies' defense stat; it just prevents enemies from Defending (putting up that blue crystal shield thingy), which isn't usually a concern. Especially not in this boss battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
YAY! Another post of people having weird conversations in the middle of pitched mecha battle. So weird and yet cool.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.
Frantic battle is the best time to talk about giving presents and gossip about who's been stalking Ogami more. In fact, the only thing that could make this more appropriate is if each pilot also had a little cup of tea and a mini picnic basket in their Koubu, because obviously these battles are more along the lines of 'trip to the park' than they are 'saving Japan from hideous evil.'

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

YAY! Another post of people having weird conversations in the middle of pitched mecha battle. So weird and yet cool.

Somehow, Sakura Wars makes it work. I guess it's something about the setting's (relatively) happy-go-lucky atmosphere?

BlondRobin posted:

Frantic battle is the best time to talk about giving presents and gossip about who's been stalking Ogami more. In fact, the only thing that could make this more appropriate is if each pilot also had a little cup of tea and a mini picnic basket in their Koubu, because obviously these battles are more along the lines of 'trip to the park' than they are 'saving Japan from hideous evil.'

If they're still happy and clean enough to go take a happy and picture-perfect group photo after engaging in a pitched battle against the forces of evil, then being able to go on picnics probably won't be TOO far off the mark. :downs:

On the bright side, the Flower Division isn't smack-talking its enemies like they do in those action-packed cartoons, where the heroes are spunky teenagers who keep up an incessant stream of groan-worthy puns.

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.
Maybe it's the setting? All the battles up to this point have happened in public parks btw. Plus, steam engine in back = unlimited amounts of hot tea.

Grunduggerer
Jan 20, 2007

BlondRobin posted:

The secret is that while the Koubu need the pilot to function, the Koubu does all the fighting. The pilot is just a battery.

So the pilots can chat, have tea, compose haiku, all in the middle of combat.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
In tangentially related, carpal-tunnel-inducing and :nws: flash animations,
http://nfact.mspencer.net/lowprio/01.swf

No, I'm not sure why Maria is in a nurse costume, either.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 11, 2007

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

----:siren: BATTLE #2 BOSS... AGAIN! - VIDEO :siren:----

Google Edition.
Youtube Edition.

"I will cut at her," said the Wakiji and it drew its sword. Sumire slashed at it and tried to sliced it up. But then everyone was in the way and she was trapped and not able to kill.

"No! I must kill the demons," she shouted.

The radio crackled. "No, Sumire," Maria said. "You are the demons."

And then Sumire was useless.

~ Extract from Ichiro Ogami's memoirs, written during his nervous breakdown in 1927.

----

Alright, so we've settled down for the long haul. Our fight against Kage will continue to be a lengthy battle that shall test our endurance to its very limits! Ogami will have to ration his Cover ability, and constantly shift strategies to suit the ever-changing situation. Mark my words: the cost will be high, but we will prevail over Kage and take him down, no matter how long it takes! We're kicking its rear end across--

-- wait, wait, hold on a second, WE had the upper hand here. When did you guys start getting YOUR asses kicked? Kage does, like, five to fifteen damage per turn to ONE Koubu.

I swear, I turn away for a couple of days two minutes and our fearless leader fails in a truly epic manner. Ogami's leadership abilities have a lot to answer for. :smith:

[Tsubaki]

We've been watching our steam-powered calculator, and we're not picking up a steam reaction from the Wakiji!

[Ogami]

Wh, what do you mean? No steam reaction... it's as if the Wakiji's a ghost.
Tsubaki-chan, can you give us anything more detailed than that?

[Tsubaki]

W-when you ask us so suddenly.... there's nothing we can do~!

[Ogami]

I, I'm sorry... ch'... how can we defeat this enemy?!

Those of you in the audience should know as well as I do that there's only one answer to that question.

Overwhelming amounts of firepower! GO, YONEDA, GO!! :black101:

Huh. It's not Yoneda? Man, that poor bastard never gets to have any fun, ever since the government took away his driver's license.

... wait, the mystery pilot's going to do WHAT?

----
[Ogami]

C-couldn't the Shogeimaru's pilot at least tell us who's in range of the bombardment?!

[Kohran]

Don't worry, Ogami-han, we'll probably be given plenty o' time t' get th' hell outta dodge!

[Sumire]

Indeed, no organization would not DARE risk the lives of what few elite pilots they have in their possession.

[Maria]

... ... I think Shogeimaru's started firing.

[Sakura]

... huh?
----

----

DEMON-DRIVEN MECHANICAL SOLDIER: SAMURAI

Clearly, Tenkai has all the naming sense of a stoned monkey.

----
[Ogami]

Well, sure, that's all fine and dandy, but... half my team was sort of killed on account of getting BOMBED.

[Sakura]

Actually, I feel just fine, even though I distinctly remember getting ripped to shreds by the shrapnel that punctured my Koubu's armor!

[Ogami]

Eh? ... how?!

[Maria]

Ensign. I already told you, didn't I?

[Maria]

.... we're GOVERNMENT.

[Ogami]

... ... :tinfoil:
----

[Ogami]

U, understood.... all units... focus your fire on the enemy's true form!

[Maria]

Understood!

[Ogami]

(That was a ridiculously swift conversation, but... I wonder who in the world that voice was?)

And as my second favorite battle theme in the game starts up, so begins the true final battle of the chapter: defeat Samurai, and Kage will fold as well. Finally, a boss that the Flower Division can really sink its teeth into! Y'know, even though the team has been blown all the gently caress way down the hill by the force of the explosion moved down here by mysterious means.

Ogami covers Sakura and kicks up the Wind strategy, because Samurai is a giant douche who won't stay still and take the vicious (and yet justice-filled!) gang beating that it deserves.

And the sunnovagun in question is in front of the stairs leading up to the hilltop tower.

----
Suddenly, by some quirk of fate, the gears within Samurai's focused, murderous mind arrives upon an epiphany.

It stares at the blue sky, listens to the bird calls in the distance, and truly sees Shiba Park for the first time: a place where men and women can bring their children to play, knowing only of peace and well-being for all others. And it realizes that life is beautiful.

Even as Kage works itself into a murderous rage, reacting to the sudden calmness falling across its doppleganger's mind, Samurai weeps as he remembers all the horrors that his fellow Wakijis have wrought upon the world. Violence is not the answer! Humans deserve to live without fear of being reduced to a series of stains under the feet of demonic steam-powered mecha; similarly, Wakijis are not required to live as mere slaves of the murderous Tenkai! Everyone... EVERYONE deserves better.

Samurai builds up his resolve. All he needs to do is to communicate these facts to the Flower Division, and they will surely understand. They, of all people, will welcome, with open arms, his wish to free all Wakijis from their hellish fate as mindless clockwork soldiers!!

--
[Samurai]

KIIIII----!!

[Ogami]

Is he trying to say something?

[Kohran]

Eh, he's probably jes' cursing us out for messin' with his plans. Let's just brutally slaughter th' poor sap, and put him outta his misery.

[Ogami]

Business as usual, then. Move out!

----

----

As Samurai fled the lightning bolts, cherry blossom bursts, and suicide bombing droids, he wept as his dreams came crashing down around his ears, and cursed the fact that Tenkai never actually gave him any vocal cords with which to communicate.

And thus began the brutal beating of a Wakiji that wouldn't hurt a fly.

----

Are Maria and Sumire's Koubus THAT ridiculously slow? I mean, their robots are top-of-the-line here, fellas. They should at LEAST be able to outpace grunts and cannon fodder. :/

I'm starting to wonder if Kohran has picked up on how popular Maria and Sumire have become, and hosed with their Koubu's engines or propulsion systems or however the hell these things move.

Oh, good, it's Maria's turn, and-

Once we get her inherently psychopathic aiming systems under control....

----

----

H-he's not even fighting back. He's just running from those cold, merciless eyes. Why can't the Flower Division just let Samurai run free? :(

The morality behind killing intelligent demon drones aside, Samurai's down to less than half health after four final attacks.

----
Samurai wept as pain lanced through his mechanical body. Despite his best efforts to run and dodge, four of the Flower Division had already torn into him- his right arm was a mangled mess, and the proud flags worn on his back had long since been shoved through his neck by the particularly eager white Koubu. It was only by some miracle of chance that his legs hadn't been taken out from under him.

Samurai was perplexed. He'd been convinced that the Flower Division was the only group brave enough to stand up to Lord Tenkai's mad bid for world domination, and did so out of a strong sense of justice. Didn't they see that he had no intention of fighting them? Could they not sense that his motives were pure, and his cause just?

Doubt began creeping through Samurai's mind. These brave men and women of the Flower Division couldn't POSSIBLY just be an undisciplined, murderous fighting force that was here simply for the sake of KILLING. And they MUST take their collective duty seriously, to the point that their finely-honed minds thought of nothing other than defeating these threats to the Imperial Capital.

... right?

----

----
Samurai suddenly noticed that the fifth Koubu- the purple one- was hesitating. For a moment, he could only stare in surprise at her lack of aggressiveness and bloodthirstiness.
----

----

----

----

----
Samurai had no way of hearing Sumire wail and curse out her teammates for blocking her way, and for cockblocking her movement phase by sitting their Koubus' oversized posteriors right in the middle of the road.

Similarly, he couldn't hear the other pilots' retorts- that the Ensign had not ordered them to move, that Sumire-han's Koubu was slowed down an awful lot by all th' fancy-pants crap that she'd installed on its arms, and SHUT UP SUMIRE I'M IMAGINING THAT I'M CUTTING TICKETS.

Samurai simply thought: why is the purple Koubu refusing to attack me?

----

----
Samurai noted how she kept stopping behind the pink one, as if to try and talk her teammate out of something.
----

----

----
Samurai watched in amazement as the Purple One's rage peaked, as if she was becoming passionate about how they shouldn't be beating the ever-loving poo poo out of some poor, defenseless Wakiji.

He was only slightly wrong: Sumire was threatening to off her own teammates if they didn't move aside and let HER beat the ever-loving poo poo out of that poor, defenseless Wakiji. Or hell, she'd even take any of the VIOLENT Wakijis, for Pete's sake, just MOVE.

----

----
Eventually, the Purple One sagged in place, clearly unwilling to continue attacking a foe who wouldn't fight back, and yet unable to get in her comrades' way. Samurai was much too far to see the Green One activate the Purple One's temporary manual override, or to hear Sumire's bloodthirsty howls of impotent rage.

Even as he fled, Samurai wept at the Purple One's beautiful sense of honor, and his respect for her grew. Such a wonderful moral code, a code that does not allow for an attack on a defenseless opponent!

----

Incidentally, shooting excruciatingly painful arcs of electricity straight into Sumire's arm is Ogami's way of laughing at her.

----

(Editor's Note: Why Samurai couldn't have hidden himself closer to the tower- or why he couldn't have just attacked it directly while everyone's attention was focused on Kage- remains a complete mystery, at least to everyone but Samurai. Regardless, it's really not too hard to block his path and force him to move around us.)

Back to Mountain, because everyone- EVERYONE- will be aiming for Ogami again and I don't particularly want to lose him.

Sakura is merely one more brick in my Great Wall Of Cockblocking Bastards Brave Koubus.

And again, the auto-targeting system spites me by making me accidentally waste her attacks on Kage.

REGARDLESS, the dogpile moves on!

----
[Sakura]

O-Ogami-san, why are you ordering Kohran to attack?! She's going to hit ALL of us!!

[Ogami]

We must all make sacrifices for the greater good, Sakura-kun.

[Sakura]

Why are you hiding behind m- ... are you trying to use me as a shield?

[Ogami]

... ... ... some of us must make bigger sacrifices than others, Sakura-kun.
----

----

----

And somehow, Kohran's techie abilities have advanced to the point where she can create fin funnels remote-controlled laser satellites.

Remote-controlled laser satellites. :science:

(Incidentally, Maria's "I am hit" noise is probably the second-least graceful noise I have ever heard in my life.)

----

Amusingly enough, Samurai thinks it can escape the wrath of the Flower Division.

EXTERMINATUS!

----

----

... providing that, y'know, Ogami survives the series of skin grafts and the years of painful physical therapy needed to put him back on his feet.

Also, I just noticed that Maria may or may not be smiling in this picture.

If this were any other person, there'd probably be some sort of damage or accuracy penalty for trying to shoot up a hill at someone.

Naturally, Maria transcends such mundane matters as "physics" and "terrain" and "obstructions".

Kohran plum forgot to keep Sumire's manual override going.

With a feral scream, the Grand Imperial Theater's top star launched herself forward and--

----

----

----

-- got horribly stuck.

----
Through a haze of pain and oil, Samurai watched as the Purple One gave up trying to show the Pink One and the White One the error of their ways.
----

----
Not even the dreaded Black One- the only one who could possibly have been the leader, from what Samurai could see of their tactics- could be swayed.
----

----

----
Samurai watched sadly as the Purple One had no choice but to obey orders, listening to her oddly-excited scream as she barreled towards him, her naginata swinging around--
----

----
-- only to stop an inch from his face.
----

----
Samurai couldn't believe it. The... the Purple One had spared him, even though it meant that she was going against her orders!* A sense of peace filled Samurai's mind. He knew it- humans ARE all good. His dream, the freedom of Wakiji and human beings alike... he could leave that in the hands of the Flower Division.

And Samurai even understood that this was to be a mercy killing... Samurai could feel Tenkai attempting to seep back into his mind, and to take control of his newly-discovered sense of self.

With that in mind... Samurai stopped racing up the hill, and turned to face his fate, peace in his heart.

*As a matter of fact, the orders that Sumire received were something like this:

[Ogami]

Now, Sumire!! Finish it o-- OH GOD IRIS WHY ARE YOU IN MY BRAI-

-KZZT-

[Ogami]

SUMIRE, ONIICHAN ORDERS- I mean, 'I'- ORDER YOU TO BACK AWAY. YOU ARE GETTING TOO POPULAR WITH ONIICHA- 'ME', AND ONLY IRIS WILL BE THE ONE TO CLAIM 'MY' MIND, 'MY' BODY, AND 'MY' SOUL. THAT IS ALL.

-KZZT-

[Ogami]

Aah... er, a-as you were.

----

----

----

----

----
After enduring blow after blow, Samurai hiked back down the hill. The pain, the terror... all of it was beginning to fade, even the Purple One's loud and repeated insistance that she at least should be the one to land the deathblow.

Samurai was touched by her thoughtfulness, and would very much have liked to been killed by the only lifeform on earth that had understood him.

----

----

Sensing the impending death of their leader, the remaining Wakiji begin piling onto Maria, but...

... well. Heal, I love you so. :blush:

Five hits until Samurai crumples, and Maria can only attack four times. For a moment, it appeared that Sumire would be able to claim the last hit for herself.

----

----

Maria winked to Kohran.

Kohran winked back at Maria.

As it was in their best interests to eclipse Sumire's growing popularity, and the biggest threat to their OWN popularity ratings, Maria and Kohran teamed up to deal just enough damage...

----

... to take out the boss without even having to turn to Sumire.

:gonk:

----
[Ogami]

Except for you, Sumire!! Let's all point and laugh at her for being such a failure!!

[Sumire]

*SOB*
----

[Ogami]

But, before that...

[Kohran]

C'mon, let's do THAT!

[Everyone]

Victory pose....

[Everyone]

Go!

:downs:

----

And suddenly, the world goes black, and a voice sounds out from the depths of HELL.

THE DEMONS HAVE ARRIVED, BLANKETING THE SKY AND BLOTTING OUT THE SUN THROUGH SHEER FORCE OF NUMBERS. ALL IS LOST!

[Ogami]

Eh.....?

----
[Ogami]

IT'S THE FINGER BLOWJOB WOMAN!!
----

[Kohran]

This is the Imperial Assault Force's vice-commander, and the head of the Flower Mansion branch.

[Ogami]

E-eh?! V, vice-commander?!

----
[Ogami]

Oh. Guess I should've waited before yelling out 'finger blowjob woman', huh. Hahahaha...

[???]

----

[Ogami]

The... the pleasure's all mine!

[Ayame]

A captain needs to be able to make split-second decisions. I have high expectations for you. Hang in there, Ogami-kun.

[Ogami]

Ah....

Time to whip out that lady-killing charm of yours, Ogami!

----
[Maria]

Bad Sakura, you shouldn't shoot a tranquilizer dart at the man you obsessively love.

[Sakura]

BUT HE WAS TALKING TO ANOTHER WOMAN.
----

[Ayame]

Please hang in there! Captain-san.

[Ogami]

Ah.... yes. I'll do my very best. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance.

----
[Maria]

Sakura, you KNOW that the Ensign's on the verge of slapping you with a restraining order, right?

[Sakura]

You just want to keep me away from Ogami-san, don't you?

[Maria]

... what on earth are you talking about?

[Sakura]

Just you wait, Maria-san. One day, Ogami-san shall be...

[Sakura?]

... OURS.
----

----:siren: Battle #2: Aftermath - VIDEO :siren:----

Google Edition.
Youtube Edition.

The previous scene with voices!

----

MEANWHILE...

Tenkai is ronery. :smith:

----
[Tenkai]

See? I has hundreds of friends.
----

[Tenkai]

If that's the case... then this Tenkai shall teach them the meaning of true fear!!
Death Emperors!!

----

----

[Tenkai]

[Tenkai]

What's wrong? Why aren't my minions cheering?!

[Miroku]

My lord. It might help if you gave them more advanced AIs and allowed them the ability to cheer.

[Tenkai]

Oh.

[Tenkai]

[Tenkai]

This must look pretty sad and pathetic, huh.

[Miroku]

... yes, my lord. It sort of does.
----

----

[Maria]

Farewell, my youth...

[Maria]

Farewell, my love.

[Maria]

In that war...

[Maria]

... time stopped for me.

----

[Maria]

Next time on Sakura Wars:

[Maria]

"I'm not fit to be captain!?"

[Maria]

A storm of romance amongst the Taisho cherry blossoms!

[Maria]

The pain within my heart...

[Maria]

... is known only by this locket.

----:siren: Final Video of Chapter 2 :siren:----

Google Edition.
Youtube Edition.

----

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 7, 2012

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Oh, that poor, poor Samurai. :(

And we will not have Maria and Kohran lessening Sumire's popularity? You hear me? :argh:

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees
I see the demonic plan of Iris-induced pain and suffering proceeds! It must continue! Her evil must come to fruition!

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
I'd heard of Sakura Wars before this thread but didn't really know anything about it. This is one of my favourite LPs at the moment, so it's great to see another update.

Also, the rest of the team needs to loving stop cockblocking Sumire. Metaphorically speaking, of course. I mean, she doesn't have a literal cock to block...

... right? :gonk:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
In the stock market, MAR shares have jumped three points, in anticipation of the announcement of further character development. It is as yet unknown as to whether this is a temporary bubble or a sign of true progress for MAR against long-time rival SUM and newcomer KOH.

In other news, business psychologists finally have an answer: Is wooing your boss for favors at work worth it? More at five o'clock.

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Yes! New update!
I hated this boss battle. Spend few turns dicking about being impotent and you finally get a face full of shrapnel for your efforts. :( I dunno which boss battle is the most annoying: this or Rasetsu's.

poo poo, I never thought that about the Wakiji. RIP Samurai. May your soul be utilized by a more forgiving madman in your next life. :smith:
And yeah, Yoneda was totally drunk off his rear end during the cannon firing back there.

Kasumi: 10 seconds to fire! The Hanagumi has not yet evacuated the area. shall we wait?

Yoneda: *Hic* Wait?!! You young whippershnapperrsh... Backh in the First Deomonsh war we were decisive! We didn't wait for them to get out of the waysh... Fire!!!

Kasumi: But Yoneda Shihainin...

Yoneda: *Falls on the fire button in a drunken stupor waving his sake bottle like a hobo* Baaanzaaaiii!!!!

Hanagumi trying to get the gently caress out of the way: :gonk:

Finally Fujieda Ayame makes her appearance. So far she is my fave character out from this game (excluding Kohran of course). She serves as Ohgami's mentor/big sister, giving him advice and such. She has a real calming effect around her. Demonic loli's and crazy possesive bitches eating away at your mental health? visit her, it'll make things better. ;)
Sadly, we can't end the game with her. :(
She's so popular they had to bring her back in the second game, Sakura Wars 2. However due to the story, it's her twin sister this time, Fujieda Kaede.

Whee, Maria's character development chapter is next! This definitely will push the odds towards Maria but not for long! This episode we see a cameo of a character from another Kosuke Fujishima work, and we get to bitchslap Maria!

Canuck-Errant posted:

In tangentially related, carpal-tunnel-inducing and :nws: flash animations,
http://nfact.mspencer.net/lowprio/01.swf

No, I'm not sure why Maria is in a nurse costume, either.
What the hell? We finish the game and all we get is a 404? What a tease.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Well, I'm not the original file host, Morgenthau. Here: http://urc.sakura.ne.jp/hp/playroom.htm

That took a few minutes of digging on Google, incidentally. I'm not some tiny god of Maria flash animations.

And I won't just out and say vote for Maria, but.

Edit: Everything linked is :nws:, in case you were wondering.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 11, 2007

Grunduggerer
Jan 20, 2007
I think Iris and Kohran can make a deal here. Iris gets the soul to torment and Kohran can keep the body for nook-and-cranny fun.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...man, I know I should be happy to see a new update and everything.

But for some reason I'm now imagining Sgt. Sagara and Cpt. Tessa from Full Metal Panic subbing in for Ogami and Ayame, and that's blotting out most other forms of rational thought.

Dominic Hokage
Nov 11, 2003

Mission over! You know what that means, Ensign! Back to punching tickets!

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

FUN FACT: I finally got around to tallying up the votes thus far. Excluding the "maybe" and the "oh god anyone except (insert name here)" comments...

TIED FOR FIRST:
[Maria and Sumire]

SECOND (but only by one vote):
[Kohran]

THIRD:
[Iris]

FOURTH:
[The Sixth Pilot]

... it could end up being pretty drat close. :frogbon:

Semiru posted:

Oh, that poor, poor Samurai. :(

And we will not have Maria and Kohran lessening Sumire's popularity? You hear me? :argh:

All he wanted was to spread love and peace!

Also, Maria and Kohran have as much to worry about as Sumire does, so can you really blame them for undermining this incredibly dangerous military operation just to spite their mutual enemy? ... okay, fine, on hindsight, I suppose you can. :gonk:

Dexanth posted:

I see the demonic plan of Iris-induced pain and suffering proceeds! It must continue! Her evil must come to fruition!

Well, it's certainly not going to stop anytime soon, I can tell you that. :cry:

One more chapter... one more chapter....

Thuryl posted:

I mean, she doesn't have a literal cock to block...

... right? :gonk:

Ha ha ha! Of course not, that's just silly. I mean, it's not like this is one of those bizarre dating sims that break reality in all sorts of ways.

... :tinfoil:

Tomn posted:

In the stock market, MAR shares have jumped three points, in anticipation of the announcement of further character development. It is as yet unknown as to whether this is a temporary bubble or a sign of true progress for MAR against long-time rival SUM and newcomer KOH.

In other news, business psychologists finally have an answer: Is wooing your boss for favors at work worth it? More at five o'clock.

Just as long as the flagging IRI doesn't suddenly take the stock market by storm, crushing its competitors in a series of hostile takeovers...

Morgenthau posted:

Whee, Maria's character development chapter is next! This definitely will push the odds towards Maria but not for long! This episode we see a cameo of a character from another Kosuke Fujishima work, and we get to bitchslap Maria!

I... really? I've either missed the cameo every time I've played, or I'm not nearly familiar enough with Fujishima's stuff.

Canuck_Errant posted:

(PROMOTED)

I'm convined that that website is run by someone's sex drive gone sentient (which is far from being a bad thing).

I just wish that they could draw Kanna a little bit better. :(

Grunduggerer posted:

I think Iris and Kohran can make a deal here. Iris gets the soul to torment and Kohran can keep the body for nook-and-cranny fun.

... y'know, it's thanks to goons like you that Ogami's future is looking grim. :cawg:

Glazius posted:

...man, I know I should be happy to see a new update and everything.

But for some reason I'm now imagining Sgt. Sagara and Cpt. Tessa from Full Metal Panic subbing in for Ogami and Ayame, and that's blotting out most other forms of rational thought.

Imagining Tessa as a mature big sister-type is... kinda frightening, actually. And turning Sagara into a shounen retard.... :gonk:

Dominic Hokage posted:

Mission over! You know what that means, Ensign! Back to punching tickets!

[Ogami]

... I don't think I'm getting paid nearly enough to put up with all of this.

[Yoneda]

Haw haw haw! Ogami, did you really think you were gettin' PAID to do ANY of this?!

[Ogami]

... Manager Yoneda, please stop shattering my all-too-fragile dreams.

[Yoneda]

Wha- you still HAVE dreams? Well, we're just going to have to work on that, won't we now.

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Sep 12, 2007

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
gently caress. I'm using my burning courage to vote for Kohran five times. :supaburn:

Rose wood
Apr 4, 2006

You're a superstar!
Oh no! Spirit Armour was probated for a low content post in the pokemon LP...

Oh well, I guess he can get some updates done in advance so it's a bit easier on him, so much work goes into these!

Also, I've only ever voted for 'Anyone but Iris'... If you're not letting negative votes count then I guess I'll vote Maria!

Rose wood fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 12, 2007

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE
Hey, without spoiling anything, how soon is our final mystery pilot coming in? Next chapter? I'm sticking with :supaburn: for now but how can any of us rightfully choose before all the cards are on the table?

Dominic Hokage
Nov 11, 2003

This LP is experiencing Technical Difficulties. Please stand by.

And now a word from our sponsors.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Spirit Armor posted:

Imagining Tessa as a mature big sister-type is... kinda frightening, actually. And turning Sagara into a shounen retard....

No, showing up in Sakura Wars playing those roles but with the same detachment they put into FMP.

...though that might just end up turning it into FMP with fancy musicals.

I wonder if Sagara can sing or play anything besides Reville.

Grunduggerer
Jan 20, 2007

Spirit Armor posted:

FUN FACT: I finally got around to tallying up the votes thus far. Excluding the "maybe" and the "oh god anyone except (insert name here)" comments...

TIED FOR FIRST:
[Maria and Sumire]

[Kohran]

THIRD:
[Iris]

FOURTH:
[The Sixth Pilot]

Hey! I'm supposed to be the favorite!!!

(kill them... kill all who oppose me, er I mean you, Sakura...)

yes... I'll show them who is Ogami-san's favorite... I'll show them all. BWAH-HA-HA-HA!!

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Just been reading through this, very amusing.

My vote? Go ahead and show us ALL the endings! :haw:

...well, maybe not Iris. I don't think any of us wants to see that. :gonk:

Besides, you probably want to get to Sakura Wars 2 before the end of the decade.

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Oh man, almost a week of silence. :(

Spirit Armor posted:

TIED FOR FIRST:
[Maria and Sumire]

[Kohran]

THIRD:
[Iris]

FOURTH:
[The Sixth Pilot]

... it could end up being pretty drat close. :frogbon:
Haha, Sakura's completely shut out here. It looks like Goons prefer weirdos more than normal one.

And come on! Kohran second place by one vote?! What happened to all the love for the nook and cranny mistress? :argh:

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Morgenthau posted:

Haha, Sakura's completely shut out here. It looks like Goons prefer weirdos more than normal one.

Yes. The stalker is clearly the normal one here.

Seriously, which member of this cast could you call normal or hell, even sane in a court of law and not be committing such blatant perjury that even a judge up to his ears in bribes would have to call you on it?* They are all totally bonkers in their own way. Sakura is obsessed with Ogami pretty much from five minutes after they meet.

If anything, the sane ones are floating to the top. Maria's stone cold and Sumire's a bitch but those are both pretty common and normal compared to EVERY NOOK AND CRANNY or Iris.

* - Credit goes to Robert Asprin

Rose wood
Apr 4, 2006

You're a superstar!

Morgenthau posted:

I think maybe you've gotten the characters mixed up because you just referred to Sakura as the normal one.

Spirit Armor posted:

[Sakura]

Ogami-san.... what in the world are you doing in front of Sumire-san's room?

Spirit Armor posted:

[Ogami]

Owowow~! W, who's there?! Who's pinching my back!

[Sakura]

It sure looks like you were having fun, weren't you?

Spirit Armor posted:

[Ogami]

Wha?! Sakura-kun, what're you talking about all of a sudden?!

[Sakura]

That woman... did anything happen with her?

Spirit Armor posted:

[Ogami]

Ah.... yes. I'll do my very best. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance.

[Sakura]

Aa~aah...

Rose wood fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Sep 13, 2007

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
She's "normal" in the sense that she's the first one you meet, the first one to fall for Ogami, and the most stereotypical "the one" harem girl. Obvious choices are boring choices. :colbert:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

One Legged Cat posted:

Hey, without spoiling anything, how soon is our final mystery pilot coming in? Next chapter? I'm sticking with :supaburn: for now but how can any of us rightfully choose before all the cards are on the table?
I can rightfully choose because Sumire should win :colbert:

Grunduggerer
Jan 20, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

I can rightfully choose because Sumire should win :colbert:

If I don't win, I'm purchasing the site from lowtax and turning it into a furry pron site! So obey! OBEY!!!

Sumire is the obvious choice. :colbert:

Grunduggerer fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 13, 2007

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Grunduggerer posted:

Sumire is the obvious choice. :colbert:
Exactly.

Vast tracts of land. :quagmire:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
If Kohran doesn't win she'll blow up the servers with her kamikazi bots and capture the survivors for probing. :supaburn:

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007

Sindai posted:

She's "normal" in the sense that she's the first one you meet, the first one to fall for Ogami, and the most stereotypical "the one" harem girl. Obvious choices are boring choices. :colbert:

Well that was where I'm going on this. Polite, soft-spoken, conservatively dressed, she's what you call a representation of the Yamato Nadeshiko. She's not a stalker to the point of watching Ohgami in the shower or mailing pictures of him sleeping though. But comparing her with the rich uppity bitch Sumire, the gun-crazy ice queen Maria, the mad scientist Kohran, the demonic loli Iris and the sixth pilot...

At least when he meets her she doesn't do anything to gently caress up his day.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Oh yes, she's obviously the Yamato Nadeshiko; that's blatantly obvious to the point of making her somewhat dull. But arguing that she doesn't do anything to gently caress up his day is only true as long as she hasn't been slighted or believes she's been slighted or believes Ogami may have acknowledged the idea there are other women in the world than her or...

It goes on. Sure, you might be able to keep her happy, but you can argue that you could keep any of them happy. Maria doesn't do anything to make Ogami's day worse, generally, and she's also not a crazy stalker, so by your criteria she's actually better. :3:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

I guess the good thing about this probation is that Spirit's going to have about five or so updates ready to go the moment he gets back, right?

Dominic Hokage
Nov 11, 2003

No, he's going to return and say that he spent the entire time pressing F5 and eating cheetos. :3:

Grunduggerer
Jan 20, 2007
If Spirit doesn't have an update ready I suggest we make one up. Perhaps members of the squad start turning up dead, and this light, romantic comedy turns into a murder-mystery.

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007

Grunduggerer posted:

If Spirit doesn't have an update ready I suggest we make one up. Perhaps members of the squad start turning up dead, and this light, romantic comedy turns into a murder-mystery.

"....witnesses report seeing a bloody teddy bear at the scene of the crime."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Sumire, in the swimming pool, with a swimsuit.

• Locked thread