Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Robot Bastard posted:

Maybe "Hey Dad, guess what? You gotta one-shot a Lich or you just piss him off. Pissed-off Liches are not good news. And guess what the sword you gave me DOESN'T DO?"

Roy's father wanted him to become a wizard, though. The sword was never his idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Robot Bastard posted:

Seriously. "Well gee whiz, Dad, I saw about fifty dead Paladins jump up and beat Xykon's rear end even though they were ghosts, I guess you were just too busy to join in?"

It seemed fairly heavily implied that only Sapphire Guard paladins could ghost rush Xykon due to their honor bound oath and whatnot. Roy's dad isn't a paladin. I wonder how Roy's mom is doing since her husband is off gallivanting with lawful floozies.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
I don't think Roy's mom is bound by the Blood Oath, so she's up in LG heaven proper playing chess or something while Eugene is free to hit all the not-quite-LG-enough floozies

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Man, I'm hoping that Roy picks up some Wiz. The man deserves, nay, demands to be throwing some swordsage power up in this.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

New strip is up!

Man I've been dying to get to do that.

Also, I only just got the joke in the second center panel. Man Redcloak is evil.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Ashcans posted:

Also, I only just got the joke in the second center panel. Man, Redcloak is evil.

Yeah, at first I thought it was a take-a-number joke.

Does this mean that he'll suddenly re-incorporate?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Parahexavoctal posted:

Yeah, at first I thought it was a take-a-number joke.

Me too. What am I missing?

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Phanatic posted:

Me too. What am I missing?

"Does a 21 save?"

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Heresiarch posted:

"Does a 21 save?"

Oh man, that is awesome.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

It's those kind of little touches that really make me appreciate Burlew's work. Also because I'm sure that everyone that has played DnD (or something similar) has had the moment where they realised they forgot a bonus, item, or miscalculated damage past the point where it can be fixed. I feel for you, priest-guy-whose-name-I-forgot.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Ashcans posted:

It's those kind of little touches that really make me appreciate Burlew's work. Also because I'm sure that everyone that has played DnD (or something similar) has had the moment where they realised they forgot a bonus, item, or miscalculated damage past the point where it can be fixed. I feel for you, priest-guy-whose-name-I-forgot.

drat it, my Templar would still be alive if we hadn't gotten those attack of opportunity rules wrong.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
ignore this post, I'm an idiot

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Weren't you guys going to start a new thread when the strip started back up again?

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Ouch.

I think that Roy has one big advantage over his father in this case. He has a corpse, and people at least trying to revive him. I can imagine the dialog between his dad's old party.

"So, our wizard just died."
"Ayup"
"We got some diamond dust from that last quest. Want to go get him revived?"
"What? Hell no! That's drinking money you're talking about!"
"Yeah, he was a prick. Well, I call dibs on the magic items."
"Son of a bitch."

See my point? At least Roy has some friends trying to get him back.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Pretty sure Roy's dad died of old age anyway.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Yeah, that's in On the Origin of PCs.

Hedgehog King
Feb 7, 2005
It's just after lunch time on a Thursday. Do you know where your towel is?
Wait, Roy's dad died of old age? What the heck was he doing with his life? Just hanging around waiting for his son to become a strong enough mage to take on a lich? Why is he so hard on Roy if HE didn't even try to break the curse?

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

Hedgehog King posted:

Wait, Roy's dad died of old age? What the heck was he doing with his life? Just hanging around waiting for his son to become a strong enough mage to take on a lich? Why is he so hard on Roy if HE didn't even try to break the curse?

Eugene did try, but only succeeded in half-assing both sides of his life, adventuring and fathering, to the point where he failed at both.

But yeah, Roy owes him a good punch in the face.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

NutShellBill posted:

Eugene did try, but only succeeded in half-assing both sides of his life, adventuring and fathering, to the point where he failed at both.

But yeah, Roy owes him a good punch in the face.

And he made that oath after getting drunk one night, not immediately after watching the death while trapped in Otiluk's (sp?) sphere.

Volga Boatman
Sep 22, 2006

By striving to do the impossible, man has always achieved what is possible

terminal mehmet posted:

trapped in Otiluk's (sp?) sphere.
:science: Otiluke's Resilient Sphere

in case anyone was wondering and all.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

I am still a firm believer in the fact that Eugene was a massive prick of a dad, and not that good of a wizard.

In Start of Darkness, he is given a great opportunity to kill Xykon, with One-eye's help. One-eye doesn't like him, at all, and decides to try to get Eugene to help destroy him. However, he simply turns it down and walks off.

I still don't see why his son has to suffer because his dad was a retard, anyways. But that's them blood oaths for ya.

Daneaxe
Jan 9, 2006

The Werle posted:

A level of wizard and a ridiculously high chance of spell failure due to all his armor? I kind of doubt it.

I don't remember if FF's a verbal spell or not. I know True Strike is, though, and that's a hellaciously useful spell for anyone with a combat class. (Stood me in good stead all through Neverwinter Nights.)

And besides, don't they make rings of Feather Fall?

Finally, Roy's dad is a dick.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Daneaxe posted:

I don't remember if FF's a verbal spell or not.

It is.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

terminal mehmet posted:

It is.

Really its the only way it would be useful, because if you think about the mechanis of somatic components (or worse, material) you realise that you would hit the ground before you got through it. I mean, even yelling is sort of optimistic for a lot of falls.

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

J.A.B.C. posted:

I am still a firm believer in the fact that Eugene was a massive prick of a dad, and not that good of a wizard.

In Start of Darkness, he is given a great opportunity to kill Xykon, with One-eye's help. One-eye doesn't like him, at all, and decides to try to get Eugene to help destroy him. However, he simply turns it down and walks off.

I still don't see why his son has to suffer because his dad was a retard, anyways. But that's them blood oaths for ya.

Eugene didn't take the blood oath seriously until he died, and then found out that the gods took it far more seriously than he did. It wasn't until then that he told Roy about it, as a ghost. It wasn't that he ignored it for years because he wanted to dump it on Roy, he just didn't get how important it really was.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

J.A.B.C. posted:

What's really interesting is that when Roy questioned Eugene about why he never went after Xykon, Eugene said that he just couldn't find him anywhere, and if he'd actually gotten a lead he would've been off like a shot. Roy criticized him for not caring about his family at all and Eugene said nothing about it.

In Start of Darkness, it's shown that Eugene actually did find out exactly where Xykon was, but he didn't go after him because he didn't want to abandon or endanger his family.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Yeah, I thought that was a nice touch. Eugene knows Roy wouldn't buy the truth, so he's giving him a lie that he knows Roy will believe.

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb
New comic.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

KaLogain posted:

New comic.

And a host real quick in case the website falls.
http://xs119.xs.to/xs119/07386/OotS487.gif

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
These are exactly the kind of strips I wanted Roy's death to lead to :swoon:

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

I can't think of any way Roy can see Miko though which is sort of a disappointment.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Ferrinus posted:

These are exactly the kind of strips I wanted Roy's death to lead to :swoon:

Seriously. OOTS really needed to get away from the attempt at plot, and focus more on snarking about D&D. (That's what killed "Knights of the Dinner Table" for me.)

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Hahahaha!

Eugene got told to sit down and shut up while his son has the chance to go into the afterlife.

Ironic justice, in perfect form and function.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

J.A.B.C. posted:

Hahahaha!

Eugene got told to sit down and shut up while his son has the chance to go into the afterlife.

Ironic justice, in perfect form and function.

Yeah, is it me or did that archon seem to imply that Eugene wasn't lawful good?

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

Soonmot posted:

Yeah, is it me or did that archon seem to imply that Eugene wasn't lawful good?

Nah, it was a reference to the facade Eugene set up to trick the leaders of Azure city.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

In 484 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0484.html), what's the Cloister thing Xykon did with the headband? And what does that have to do with the "off the grid" comment he makes? Can't figure that one out.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

terminal mehmet posted:

In 484 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0484.html), what's the Cloister thing Xykon did with the headband? And what does that have to do with the "off the grid" comment he makes? Can't figure that one out.

He's magically hiding the city, basically making it so people won't pay attention to it and that kind of thing. Like the TARDIS!

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Fuego Fish posted:

He's magically hiding the city, basically making it so people won't pay attention to it and that kind of thing. Like the TARDIS!

I thought people don't pay attention to the TARDIS because no one actually takes the time to examine a locked blue phone booth looking thing. Also doesn't it get stolen every now and then anyway?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Soylentbits posted:

I thought people don't pay attention to the TARDIS because no one actually takes the time to examine a locked blue phone booth looking thing. Also doesn't it get stolen every now and then anyway?

Considering all the places that the Doctor used to go to, it's gotta have some capacity for altering people's perceptions.

Anyway, you understood what I meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Fuego Fish posted:

Considering all the places that the Doctor used to go to, it's gotta have some capacity for altering people's perceptions.

Anyway, you understood what I meant.

It's supposed to camouflage itself but the chip for that broke. The ninth doctor mentions once how most people are too self absorbed to notice a mysterious blue box that's popped up in an alleyway so it works out for him. The few people that do notice tend to be villains who have to be defeated or companions he has fun adventures with. Still I do get what you mean so I'll stop mentioning Doctor Who in this thread.

Why do all heaven employees look like Kree? Is blue just a standard lawful deity color or what?