Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

overflow posted:

Also, I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet - but you want a 1/8" MONO connector. And, as nmfree stated, you definitely want to solder the braid of the coax or a ground wire to the sleeve of the connector. It will seriously sound like crap if you don't.
Good advice - I'd missed nmfree's post (somehow) about the connector, (thanks nmfree). So, should I go down to Tractor Supply and buy a grounding rod (same as I use for my electric fence) and hook the braid of the coax to that? Or is strapping it to some plumbing good enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

porktree posted:

Good advice - I'd missed nmfree's post (somehow) about the connector, (thanks nmfree). So, should I go down to Tractor Supply and buy a grounding rod (same as I use for my electric fence) and hook the braid of the coax to that? Or is strapping it to some plumbing good enough?
Plumbing won't be enough, and NEVER use the same ground as the electrical service. (Apparently that's how many satellite dishes are grounded and there's not a big enough :psyduck: in the world, you know? I know you didn't say anything about that, but I typed a bunch of :words: in this thread about why it makes me :gonk: to hear that.)

*ahem* I'll :words: about your antenna now instead of :argh:, I promise.

Anyway, the grounding rod should suffice, the way I'd install it (based on your diagram) would be to get rid of that 10 foot section, run a grounding strap from where the coax meets the two wires, solder the coax braid, grounding strap, and the 12 foot leg together, and solder the longer leg and the center conductor together. (This will be easier if you use something at the junction to mechanically mount all the parts, like a piece of thick plastic or something). This will give you an actual dipole configuration, and if one half is 4 times as long as the other half, it should work even better than how you have it set up right now.

Your asymmetric dipole setup is interesting, and if I could figure out how to use the NEC modeling software I'd see what kind of pattern you'd get with that.

Also, it's not life or death, but eventually you'll want to use 50 ohm coax instead of 75 ohm. I can't remember if it was here, the ham radio thread in the A/V Forum, or on eHam where people were talking about the losses involved in the mismatch between 75 ohm coax and a 50 ohm reciever.

A general note for the thread: we've been talking about a lot of antennas, and I can't recommend Joe Carr's Practical Antenna Handbook on NetLibrary enough; many public libraries and university libraries have accounts with them which means there's a good chance you can view the book for free! Over THE INTARNETS!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

quote:

Your asymmetric dipole setup is interesting, and if I could figure out how to use the NEC modeling software I'd see what kind of pattern you'd get with that.

Off center fed dipoles are pretty neat for HF. http://www.cebik.com/gup/gup9.html

Basically you're just feeding a dipole at the ~300 ohm point instead of the 75 ohm point, and using a 4:1 or 6:1 balun to connect that to 75 or 50 ohm coax, respectively.

The usage and feeding of off-center-fed or "windom" antennas is one of shortwave/ham radio's holy wars; some people despise them as tools of Satan's deception, other look to them as proof that God loves hams and wants them to be happy. I think it falls somewhere in the middle in all actuality, and that they're great in the proper installation, but probably little more than dummy load/tuner mismatch in some other situations.

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(
What do you guys think of the AOR AR3000? (not the A). It's a wideband (I think), but I like the fact it can be computer controlled :)

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

KiwiKiwi posted:

What do you guys think of the AOR AR3000? (not the A). It's a wideband (I think), but I like the fact it can be computer controlled :)

I've never used one, but looking at the features makes me think it may be a pretty drat good radio. It seems to have all of the major necessary features, and a few more.

By the way, there's nothing intrinsically wrong with widebands. The only thing is some are not particularly suited to SW listening. This one seems like it is.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

nmfree posted:

Anyway, the grounding rod should suffice, the way I'd install it (based on your diagram) would be to get rid of that 10 foot section, run a grounding strap from where the coax meets the two wires, solder the coax braid, grounding strap, and the 12 foot leg together, and solder the longer leg and the center conductor together. (This will be easier if you use something at the junction to mechanically mount all the parts, like a piece of thick plastic or something).
I'll try that this weekend. I'm basically doing a sandwich at the junctions to keep stress off the joints - (just two pieces of wood screwed together with joint in-between). Is there any issue with me using the wire itself to loop around a post and tie off at the far end of the 48' section? Or should it end 'straight'?

nmfree posted:

Also, it's not life or death, but eventually you'll want to use 50 ohm coax instead of 75 ohm. I can't remember if it was here, the ham radio thread in the A/V Forum, or on eHam where people were talking about the losses involved in the mismatch between 75 ohm coax and a 50 ohm reciever.
Hmmmm, I used the 75 ohm because I had it lying around (from when I switched from Dish to DirecTV), Now I'm wondering if it's worth the cost to get the 50 ohm before I make the other changes. Life was so simple before. I'll check out the book. I'm no EE so I hope I can understand it.

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

nmfree posted:

Plumbing won't be enough, and NEVER use the same ground as the electrical service. (Apparently that's how many satellite dishes are grounded and there's not a big enough :psyduck: in the world, you know? I know you didn't say anything about that, but I typed a bunch of :words: in this thread about why it makes me :gonk: to hear that.)

*ahem* I'll :words: about your antenna now instead of :argh:, I promise.

Anyway, the grounding rod should suffice, the way I'd install it (based on your diagram) would be to get rid of that 10 foot section, run a grounding strap from where the coax meets the two wires, solder the coax braid, grounding strap, and the 12 foot leg together, and solder the longer leg and the center conductor together. (This will be easier if you use something at the junction to mechanically mount all the parts, like a piece of thick plastic or something). This will give you an actual dipole configuration, and if one half is 4 times as long as the other half, it should work even better than how you have it set up right now.

A general note for the thread: we've been talking about a lot of antennas, and I can't recommend Joe Carr's Practical Antenna Handbook on NetLibrary enough; many public libraries and university libraries have accounts with them which means there's a good chance you can view the book for free! Over THE INTARNETS!

nmfree should I ground a wire antenna that I plan on running to the roof? I plan on using coax up to the roof then running hopefully as much wire as I can get away with on the roof.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Got an email from Radio Havana today, confirming my reception report and telling me they would be sending a QSL card and "other materials." Sweet, propaganda here I come!

So far, I've gotten QSL cards and brochures from Radio Havana, Radio Taiwan, Radio Netherlands, and China Radio International just by dropping emails.

Also, in Radio Havana's email, they advised me of a contest they are having!

quote:

PHILATELIC CONTEST 2007
40TH ANNIVERSARY OF CHE’S DEATH

What’s your opinion about the first stamp dedicated to our heroic Guerrilla Commander Ernesto Che Guevara?

The best 40 essays will receive Cuban postal issues on different topics but every participant will be awarded an emission portraying Che.

Contest deadline is December 31st, 2007.

I want Cuban postal issues on different topics! I'm not too sure about the "emission" portraying Che though :raise:

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Hot drat, I might just have to get me some "Che Emissions!"

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

porktree posted:

I'll try that this weekend. I'm basically doing a sandwich at the junctions to keep stress off the joints - (just two pieces of wood screwed together with joint in-between). Is there any issue with me using the wire itself to loop around a post and tie off at the far end of the 48' section? Or should it end 'straight'?
Looping it around at the end is fine, it won't degrade your reception noticeably. You will run into problems, though, if there's a heavy windstorm or you get a lot of snow/ice in your area, because copper can't support much weight or be flexed a lot before breaking. You should be OK, though.

porktree posted:

Hmmmm, I used the 75 ohm because I had it lying around (from when I switched from Dish to DirecTV), Now I'm wondering if it's worth the cost to get the 50 ohm before I make the other changes. Life was so simple before.
There's not really anything wrong with using 75 ohm feedline, like the poster above me mentions, your antenna isn't connected at the 50 ohm point anyway. Even if it were, you're losing 3 dB because of the mismatch, which is only 1/2 an S unit.

porktree posted:

I'll check out the book. I'm no EE so I hope I can understand it.
It's specifically written to use as little math as possible (which admittedly is still a bunch) and to be accessible to people who aren't necessarily technically inclined.

If you want a book with a ton of theoretical discussion and tons of math, get the ARRL Antenna Handbook.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Please post pictures of all of your QSL cards and goodies, all of you!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I've been away from this thread for too long. My son finally started day care, so I'll have some free time back to DX!

bad mutant vibes posted:

So far, I've gotten QSL cards and brochures from Radio Havana, Radio Taiwan, Radio Netherlands, and China Radio International just by dropping emails.

Also, in Radio Havana's email, they advised me of a contest they are having!

I want Cuban postal issues on different topics! I'm not too sure about the "emission" portraying Che though :raise:

I just got my very first QSL card today from Radio Taiwan. My son was wondering why I was flipping out that I got something in the mail from the other side of the planet. They sent a ton of stuff, too. Very cool.

I wonder if Radio Havana sends their Che emissions in a test tube or something :science:

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Capnbigboobies posted:

nmfree should I ground a wire antenna that I plan on running to the roof? I plan on using coax up to the roof then running hopefully as much wire as I can get away with on the roof.
Yes.

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004
Holy crap my KA1102 came super fast! The seller was from FL and he shipped it on Monday and its already here. GO USPS!

Man this radio is very tiny. It is the size of a paperback novel! It is like 5"x3.7"x2" .

I hope tonight to be able to hear something cool. I am going to pit it against my goon given dx-375 in a shortwave battle to the death!
I wonder how good this radio is compared to the E5...

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

nmfree posted:

Yes.

What part do I connect the grounding wire thats coming from the grounding rod to? The metallic shield? Do I then on the radio end connect the 1/4in mono connector to the center core wire and the metallic shield to the ground terminal on the plug?
Is the ground for safety, (lightning?) signal quality or both?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Here are some lovely pictures of my QSL packet from Radio Taiwan International (click for big):

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 20, 2007

Les Oeufs
May 10, 2006
Picked up one of those bird-chirping stations on 6108 around 12:35 EST. Only lasted a little while before some piece of poo poo station started interfering

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Les Oeufs posted:

Picked up one of those bird-chirping stations on 6108 around 12:35 EST. Only lasted a little while before some piece of poo poo station started interfering

I'm beginning to wonder if some stations use that simply to keep from transmitting dead air and keep from relinquishing a frequency? Skirting around a loophole in the regulations? Shortwave filibustering?

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

I may have got my hands on something. Seller is hard to get hold of though :(

Kiwillian fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Sep 20, 2007

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

KiwiKiwi posted:

I may have got my hands on something. Seller is hard to get hold of though :(

Well, thank goodness for that! It would have been a tragedy if you hadn't explained yourself.

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Well, this thread is pretty much dead now :(

I got a sony icf-sw55. So far all I have managed to get is Chinese National Radio, and that's pretty bad reception wise. Everything above 10000Khz is just a periodic buzz noise on AM... BZZZZZ...pause..BZZZZZ..repeat ad nauseam.

I think i'm hosed unless I plant a massive aerial in the ground or something :( I am using the built in antenna and a clip on wire doodad that came with it. I also have some sort of adapter that I can screw a wire into, dunno if it will help since I'm in such a built up area. I can't pick up VoA or the BBC even :sigh:

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Ok, as the night goes on things seem to get better. I think I just got Voice of the Mediterranean, but I'm not sure (google says they shut down). I sent them an email with a description to ask anyhow. It was all gobbledygook to me.

I shall keep hunting! Too bad I have to stay up to 11pm to get anything :(

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

KiwiKiwi posted:

Well, this thread is pretty much dead now :(

I got a sony icf-sw55. So far all I have managed to get is Chinese National Radio, and that's pretty bad reception wise. Everything above 10000Khz is just a periodic buzz noise on AM... BZZZZZ...pause..BZZZZZ..repeat ad nauseam.

I think i'm hosed unless I plant a massive aerial in the ground or something :( I am using the built in antenna and a clip on wire doodad that came with it. I also have some sort of adapter that I can screw a wire into, dunno if it will help since I'm in such a built up area. I can't pick up VoA or the BBC even :sigh:

I think the problems above 10 mhz might be due to local interference OR dependent on the time of day you're listening. Have you tried tuning above 10 mHz during daytime? Daylight hours are when stations above 10mhz typically broadcast, because night reception in that area is typically pretty poor.

By the way, Attencion was up last night at 0500 UTC on 4028 kHz.

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004
I caught the end Attencion on Wednesday night on my new ka1102. Last night I listened to hams talk about Microwave ovens and destroying cd's with them. I also noticed they spend a lot of time recording each other to see how they sound. I could catch guys that were miles away. I could also barely hear a guy from New Zealand!

So far I am really digging this radio. People say its hard to work with, but I have had no problem saving stations, and using the SSB mode on page 9. I don't even have the manual and I was able to get up and running with the radio.

I pretty much treat page 9 on this radio as the 'power user' mode, since it has 1khz tuning and the ability to turn SSB on. The radio pretty much works as advertised and the SSB mode is a great plus. I feel it was a killer deal for ~50 bucks shipped. So if any Goons are looking for the cheapest SSB and 1khz radio possible you might want to look into the KA1102. I bought this thing for the same price as a refurbished Eton e10 (which I ended up returning.) and it has a lot more features.

Anyways anybody want to recommend me some other numbers stations that I can hear on the west coast after 9pm? I am dieing to hear another one but I don't know what frequencies and times.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Capnbigboobies posted:

Anyways anybody want to recommend me some other numbers stations that I can hear on the west coast after 9pm? I am dieing to hear another one but I don't know what frequencies and times.

Well, I don't know of any after 9 PM early evening ones, but around 5 to 7, and also early morning daylight you can probably pick up Cherry Ripe, the Guam-based version of the Lincolnshire Poacher, operated by MI6. There are frequencies and schedules at the link. Due to the frequencies involved, try picking this one up when it transmits around sunset your time, during winter months.

Also, if you have a good antenna, you can sometimes probably pick up the cuban babbler. He SINGS his number transmissions! This one may be harder to catch, because he doesn't keep as rigid of schedules as Attencion or Cherry Ripe. I posted the frequency a few pages back.

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 21, 2007

mas
Jun 4, 2004
Proud Member of the Al Jourgensen Fanclub Have you done heroin while wearing a huge cowboy hat today?
Add me to the list of E5 owners. I ordered the E5 special from Universal-Radio today. It comes with a free Grundig FR200. I've been wanting a SW for months and after reading through this thread I figured it was time.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Just a reminder that 80 meters should be wide open for you guys with SSB radios. 3700-4000 is the allocation; you'll find most activity between 3800 and 4000. Everybody runs huge antennas at 150 feet in the air with 1000 watt amplifiers on this band; as a result, you'll get some serious powerhouses booming in. If you don't have SSB capability, you can still maybe get in on the fun - AM operators like to operate between 3875 and 3900 KHz. Spin down there and you might hear some of these ex-broadcaster golden throats yapping on 3885 one night.

40 meters seems to be shaping up, too. I threw a dipole up for 40, just 5 feet off the ground, and have gotten a few morning nets logged already. It slams down to perfect 1:1 SWR at 7200, too. I'm proud - cleanest tune I've ever done.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

Just a reminder that 80 meters should be wide open for you guys with SSB radios. 3700-4000 is the allocation; you'll find most activity between 3800 and 4000. Everybody runs huge antennas at 150 feet in the air with 1000 watt amplifiers on this band; as a result, you'll get some serious powerhouses booming in. If you don't have SSB capability, you can still maybe get in on the fun - AM operators like to operate between 3875 and 3900 KHz. Spin down there and you might hear some of these ex-broadcaster golden throats yapping on 3885 one night.

Yeah, 80 meters is a pretty active place. For me it tends to be a bit louder than most, because there's an 80 meter ham transmitter 800 feet from my house on my neighbor's roof. Man, that fucker BOOMS out of my E5 when he's transmitting.

mas posted:

Add me to the list of E5 owners. I ordered the E5 special from Universal-Radio today. It comes with a free Grundig FR200. I've been wanting a SW for months and after reading through this thread I figured it was time.

Be sure to give us a report on the FR200! I'm thinking of picking one of those eventually just for the hell of it.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

OP updated to add latest financial drain stats.

You wankers have now bought nearly 3,000 dollars in E5s ALONE, and 42 radios in total have been sold because of this thread.

In-loving-sane!

Les Oeufs
May 10, 2006
I'm listening to my first number station! Its broadcasting right now (17:28 EST, 22:28 UTC) on 6855

Oh,and I really need to buy Passport to World Band Radio. My only problem right now is that its so late in 2007 and you can already preorder 2008. It'd be $30 or something for 2 months of broadcast listings

Les Oeufs fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 22, 2007

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

40 meters seems to be shaping up, too. I threw a dipole up for 40, just 5 feet off the ground, and have gotten a few morning nets logged already. It slams down to perfect 1:1 SWR at 7200, too. I'm proud - cleanest tune I've ever done.

99.99% of my SSB listening so far has been at 80 meters. Local CA guys come in super strong.
Anybody have an idea of the public library carries Passport?
Is anybody using a tabletop receiver in this thread? They are so much out of my price range it isn't even funny. There is such a huge price jump from a decent portable to a tabletop... :(

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Capnbigboobies posted:

Is anybody using a tabletop receiver in this thread? They are so much out of my price range it isn't even funny. There is such a huge price jump from a decent portable to a tabletop... :(
I posted my Yaesu way back in the thread somewhere. I don't know if anybody would call it "decent" compared to what's available now, but it was only $12.99!

Niklas Kronwall
Sep 23, 2005

by angerbotSD
You guys might have to lower the total for goon-bought equipment soon. I'm going to be selling my Satellit 700. It's just too hard staying up til 2 am at night to use it.

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

Dog Case posted:

I posted my Yaesu way back in the thread somewhere. I don't know if anybody would call it "decent" compared to what's available now, but it was only $12.99!

Nice! What is the price of a older used tabletop with SSB these days?

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Capnbigboobies posted:

Nice! What is the price of a older used tabletop with SSB these days?

I think those (FRG-7) usually go for $200-$250. If you're interested in one, definitely get the later version with a fine-tuning knob. Trying to tune in SSB with the giant tuning knob is a pain in the rear end.

The only real advantage it has over my Yacht Boy (gayest radio name ever) is that being analog, it's easier to hear signals while you're tuning around without the muting while tuning, and it has a couple more options for cleaning up a signal for better reception.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Well, I found out the local Zellers actually sells Slinkys - the heavy metal ones, right - and wound up buying one. I'm not sure what to do with it beyond bouncing it from hand to hand at this point, though.

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

I bought 25m of heavy hook up wire and strung it all around the place - some outside on my balcony (2nd floor) and some inside along my windows.

Since then I've been able to pick up RFI Afrique, VoA (only got the last 5 seconds of the broadcast), CVC (Aussie Jesus station), KWHR (Hawaii, more Jesus freaks) and a bunch of stuff that I couldn't identify.

Les Oeufs
May 10, 2006
I'm thinking of asking for an antenna for christmas. Ideally, it'd be fairly simple to setup/take down (i'm living at school so I come home every so often, and I also dont want to inconvenience my room-mates by taking up a huge amount of space with an elaborate antenna). And I would love it if it were < $100. Anyone have any recommendations?

edit: That one antenna the guy bought that hung up in front of windows looks like it might do the job. My only question though is how much performance I could get out of it. Anyone with antenna experience ever given one a go? Would it be a significant improvement on the ext. wire that the E5 comes with?
Oh ya, I have an Eton E5 (thats probably important information).

Les Oeufs fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 23, 2007

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Les Oeufs posted:

I'm thinking of asking for an antenna for christmas. Ideally, it'd be fairly simple to setup/take down (i'm living at school so I come home every so often, and I also dont want to inconvenience my room-mates by taking up a huge amount of space with an elaborate antenna). And I would love it if it were < $100. Anyone have any recommendations?

edit: That one antenna the guy bought that hung up in front of windows looks like it might do the job. My only question though is how much performance I could get out of it. Anyone with antenna experience ever given one a go? Would it be a significant improvement on the ext. wire that the E5 comes with?
Oh ya, I have an Eton E5 (thats probably important information).

I think this might be a job for one of those homebrew magnetic loops. ANyone who built one care to chime in here?

It would be cheap (around 25 bucks in parts), could be packed away in a closet or under a bed when not in use, and apparently works a hell of a lot better than a Degen active loop or a Sony AN-LP1 Active loop, and it doesn't require batteries (I think).

Another option is a pre-made slinky antenna. They have a lot of bang for the buck, and you don't have to build it yourself. Although, honestly, you would probably get better reception with the magnetic loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

So, I dug up my old Yacht Boy ( :gay: ) and was able to get Deutsche Welle, Radio Sweden and of course tons of crazy preachers. I could hear some SSB traffic, but alas, the Yacht Boy doesn't have SSB. I really want to get a E1, but they are so expensive.

• Locked thread