Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Col posted:

Seconding this. When I used to watch the Ubuntu forums more closely, this was a common occurance; use the graphical update manager.

I was under the impression that using the graphical update manager would comment out any of the non official repos; and update the officials from feisty to gutsy. I think the problem with dist upgrade is if you have a lot of non official apps installed things can get wonky due to versions and such. Is there more to it than that?

What is this about the apt-get vs aptitude? I thought aptitude just used the apt-get DB or whatever; and just used a ncurses gui? Does it really keep track better than apt-get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

deong posted:

I was under the impression that using the graphical update manager would comment out any of the non official repos; and update the officials from feisty to gutsy. I think the problem with dist upgrade is if you have a lot of non official apps installed things can get wonky due to versions and such. Is there more to it than that?

Possibly I'm mistaken, although I'm sure I read a Ubuntu sticky saying it did a bit more than that - something to do with how it treats config files IIRC.

quote:

What is this about the apt-get vs aptitude? I thought aptitude just used the apt-get DB or whatever; and just used a ncurses gui? Does it really keep track better than apt-get?

This is second-hand, but from an explanation I read last week I believe it keeps track of dependencies better by remembering which program they were installed with. So when you uninstall a program it is able to uninstall those dependencies along with the program, unlike the default apt-get.

Johnny Mnemonic
Apr 8, 2007

Sudowoodo used woodhump! It's super-effective.
I'm having a problem with my external hard drive as explained by many people in this thread on the ubuntu forums: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=492033 . The hard drive is only a few months old, and I'm having a hard time believing it has gone bad, so I do not believe that is the problem. Any ideas?

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud
aptitude happens to have a ncurses GUI, but it's not necessary. Just use the word 'aptitude' wherever you'd use 'apt-get' on the command line and it works exactly the same, with the benefits of some extra dependency tracking.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Topic sound servers: Are there advantages in using one for local use?

There's ESD with Gnome, but let's ignore that because it is said to be crap. I've Pulseaudio compiled here, which can substitute for ESD. The only advantage I can see and figure out here is having my Linux zone use my audio hardware (kindof) directly, e.g. with Skype, without the soundcard emulation of the branded zone.

Also, OpenGL via X11 forwarding works fine. How about things like Xv video?

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't gamed in two years and my computer is getting out of date for newer games anyways. I've installed a couple different distros and am getting a feel for how to get things to work. The order went Debian 4.0 stable, Debian 4.0 unstable, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Slackware, Fedora Core 7.0, and now I'm gonna move back to Debian unstable for the permanent switch.

Couple questions though:

1) Is ext2 in windows better or worse than ntfs-3g in linux? I've been nervous about running torrents on a ntfs drive under linux, and equally nervous about accessing an ext3 partition from windows. Bottom line: ext3 or ntfs?

2) I use a slimmed down version of outlook called EssentialPIM. Its a calendar program that works on a USB stick, holds the database in a subdirectory and can simply be sync'd and run on a local hdd for increased speed. Is there some calendar program that has both a linux and windows version that can read the same database? This is essential since most of the computers on campus use windows.

3) I have an nvidia geforce 6600 series video card. OpenGL screen savers seem to run really slow. I haven't had much luck getting any complicated games going yet so I'm not completely sure if I'm having real issues or not. Are the default drivers always no good in a linux build? Should I always use the ones from nvidia.com?

4) I like to make copies of dvd's with the ease of DVDShrink/DvdDecrypter. What are the linux programs of choice to accomplish the same task?

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Comatoast posted:

1) Is ext2 in windows better or worse than ntfs-3g in linux? I've been nervous about running torrents on a ntfs drive under linux, and equally nervous about accessing an ext3 partition from windows. Bottom line: ext3 or ntfs?

3) I have an nvidia geforce 6600 series video card. OpenGL screen savers seem to run really slow. I haven't had much luck getting any complicated games going yet so I'm not completely sure if I'm having real issues or not. Are the default drivers always no good in a linux build? Should I always use the ones from nvidia.com?

1) I'd use ntfs-3g. The windows ext2 driver doesn't work with uncleanly dismounted ext3 filesystems (e.g. hibernating)

3) Optimally, use the nvidia drivers offered by your package manager. Otherwise, you'll need to compile them against the kernel headers of whatever kernel you're using.

LesserEvil665
Jun 1, 2000
I'm new to using linux on a personal copmputer, but was interested in trying it out on my new Dell Inspiron 1520. I'm looking for a distribution that would support the hardware, compliment the laptop platform, have good features, and be lightweight. What would you goons recommend?

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

LesserEvil665 posted:

I'm new to using linux on a personal copmputer, but was interested in trying it out on my new Dell Inspiron 1520. I'm looking for a distribution that would support the hardware, compliment the laptop platform, have good features, and be lightweight. What would you goons recommend?
Ubuntu is the general recommendation for beginners.

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.
Can anyone help me suppress the INPUT that occurs within this script?

code:
#!/bin/bash -x
gedit ~/.list > /dev/null 2>&1;
for EP in $(cat ~/.list);
do
mkdir ~/$EP > /dev/null 2>&1;
cd ~/$EP > /dev/null 2>&1;
mplayer dvd://$EP -v -dumpstream -dumpfile $EP.vob > /dev/null 2>&1;
mplayer $EP.vob -ao pcm:file=$EP.wav -vc dummy -aid 128 -vo null > /dev/null 2>&1;
normalize-audio $EP.wav > /dev/null 2>&1;
faac $EP.wav -w -q 100 > /dev/null 2>&1;
mencoder -v\
	$EP.vob\
	-ofps 24000/1001\
	-sws 9\
	-vf scale=720:-3,pullup,softskip,harddup\
	-ovc x264 -x264encopts subq=4:bframes=3:b_pyramid:weight_b:threads=auto:turbo=1:pass=1:psnr:bitrate=1000\
	-oac copy\
	-of rawvideo\
	-o pass1.264 > /dev/null 2>&1;
mencoder -v\
	$EP.vob\
	-ofps 24000/1001\
	-sws 9\
	-vf scale=720:-3,pullup,softskip,harddup\
	-ovc x264 -x264encopts subq=6:partitions=all:8x8dct:me=umh:frameref=5:bframes=3:b_pyramid:weight_b:threads=auto:pass=2:psnr:bitrate=1000\
	-oac copy\
	-of rawvideo\
	-o pass2.264 > /dev/null 2>&1;
MP4Box -add pass2.264 -add $EP.m4a -fps 23.976023976 $EP.mp4 > /dev/null 2>&1;
done
Another small request, does anyone know why it is that when the 'mencoder' lines are processed, their outputs are still displayed in the terminal? Also, why does adding ' > /dev/null 2>&1' error on the 'for EP in $(cat ~/.list)' line?

Eventually, I will add echo lines into the script (once this input/output problem has been solved) to make it only read what I say in 'echo ""'.

This would be a huge help and is very much appreciated.

Edit: Not sure why bitrate is starting on a new line in the box, but it is all one line in the script.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Col posted:

Can anyone help me sort my Places menu in Gnome 2.18.3? Google is proving quite unhelpful in this case :(

Clicking on 'Home' or 'Computer' has the desired result and launches the location in nautilus.

However, trying to open 'Desktop' or another mounted folder for example returns the following error:

Based on some initial googling, I had a look in gconf-editor under /desktop/gnome/url-handlers in an attempt to find an entry for file:/// but nothing. I also don't seem able to add a new entry.

Accessing these locations in the file-tree pane on the left of the nautilus window works fine and inputting file:///path/ within the nautilus location bar also works correctly.

I was also expecting to find some relevant entries in /home/colin/.gconf/desktop/gnome/url-handlers but the various .xml files seemed to only contain an entry relating to Opera, rather than being a list of the various items in the places menu.

Thanks for any help :) Distro is Arch, although I suspect this is a gnome-specific problem.

You mean, you get this error when you choose "Desktop" in menu but not if you choose the same in Nautilus, or enter the path in the Nautilus address bar?

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Scaevolus posted:

The windows ext2 driver doesn't work with uncleanly dismounted ext3 filesystems (e.g. hibernating)
NOTHING supports altering a filesystem while hibernating -- when system awakens, it will continue using device buffers, and if anything changed on the device, it will cause a horrible mess.

The only reason for having ext2 or ext3 filesystem that is not cleanly mounted on shutdown is system crash, and if such a thing happened, you should better boot Linux to replay the journal (ext3) or fsck the drive (ext2) before anything will be able to touch it. However if you have Linux hibernating, you are not supposed to touch its filesystems at all.

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN
I'm having fun running Ubuntu in a VM on my Macbook for the sake of playing around with C++ and FUSE, and am looking for a good text editor/IDE. Currently I'm using TextMate and copying files over, which isn't too bad, but I'm wondering what the (free) state of the art C++ development environment is for Linux.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

take boat posted:

I'm having fun running Ubuntu in a VM on my Macbook for the sake of playing around with C++ and FUSE, and am looking for a good text editor/IDE. Currently I'm using TextMate and copying files over, which isn't too bad, but I'm wondering what the (free) state of the art C++ development environment is for Linux.

I use XEmacs. GVim is the other popular choice from vi side.

You probably would prefer something in the range between gedit (more or less regular text editor with syntax highlighting), cream (vi-derived but with very un-vi-like interface) and KDevelop (full-blown development environment).

Also please don't forget that there is one build environment on Linux and Unix-like systems, and it's called "make". Most editors have various ways of calling it without actually being a "development environment" in themselves, and [X]Emacs can use compilers' error messages to jump to the mentioned lines/files.

Also please configure proper booting of Ubuntu without a VM. Even fglrx works on Macbook now.

take boat
Jul 8, 2006

teapot posted:

I use XEmacs. GVim is the other popular choice from vi side.

You probably would prefer something in the range between gedit (more or less regular text editor with syntax highlighting), cream (vi-derived but with very un-vi-like interface) and KDevelop (full-blown development environment).

Also please don't forget that there is one build environment on Linux and Unix-like systems, and it's called "make". Most editors have various ways of calling it without actually being a "development environment" in themselves, and [X]Emacs can use compilers' error messages to jump to the mentioned lines/files.
Thanks for the suggestions. I am not so new that I have never used make or emacs before, thankfully, but I'm hoping for something that might be friendlier to someone starting out with C++ in terms of debugging and such. I'll give KDevelop a shot.

quote:

Also please configure proper booting of Ubuntu without a VM. Even fglrx works on Macbook now.
I'm not too excited by a repartition, then needing to dual boot :confused:

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

take boat posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. I am not so new that I have never used make or emacs before, thankfully, but I'm hoping for something that might be friendlier to someone starting out with C++ in terms of debugging and such. I'll give KDevelop a shot.
Unless you do crash analysis or reverse engineering, you don't need a debugger. Really. Learn to use debugging output and logs, in a Unix-like system you always have stderr.

quote:

I'm not too excited by a repartition, then needing to dual boot :confused:
It's better than extremely slow video performance, non-working 3D graphics and screwed to hell device I/O performance. If anything, Boot Camp is supposed to be good at handling partitions.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

teapot posted:

You mean, you get this error when you choose "Desktop" in menu but not if you choose the same in Nautilus, or enter the path in the Nautilus address bar?

That's exactly the problem.

Entering either the path ie /home/colin/Desktop or using the command 'file:///home/colin/Desktop' (to mirror the error message) in the nautilus location bar works fine. It's just the Places menu.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Col posted:

That's exactly the problem.

Entering either the path ie /home/colin/Desktop or using the command 'file:///home/colin/Desktop' (to mirror the error message) in the nautilus location bar works fine. It's just the Places menu.
1. Do you have a file /usr/share/applications/nautilus-home.desktop ?

2. Does /usr/share/applications/nautilus-folder-handler.desktop file contain
MimeType=x-directory/gnome-default-handler;x-directory/normal;inode/directory;application/x-gnome-saved-search
?

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
I just got an external hard drive and I'd like to format it Ext3. Is there a better utility than fdisk to do this?

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

ShortStack posted:

I just got an external hard drive and I'd like to format it Ext3. Is there a better utility than fdisk to do this?

You can use parted or gparted instead of fdisk+mke2fs.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax

teapot posted:

You can use parted or gparted instead of fdisk+mke2fs.

That's what I was looking for, thank you.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

teapot posted:

1. Do you have a file /usr/share/applications/nautilus-home.desktop ?

2. Does /usr/share/applications/nautilus-folder-handler.desktop file contain
MimeType=x-directory/gnome-default-handler;x-directory/normal;inode/directory;application/x-gnome-saved-search
?

Hi Teapot, thanks for looking at this.

1. Looks like it:

code:
[colin@desktop ~]$ ls /usr/share/applications/nautilus-*
/usr/share/applications/nautilus-cd-burner-open-iso.desktop
/usr/share/applications/nautilus-cd-burner.desktop
/usr/share/applications/nautilus-computer.desktop
/usr/share/applications/nautilus-file-management-properties.desktop
/usr/share/applications/nautilus-folder-handler.desktop
/usr/share/applications/nautilus-home.desktop
2. Yes it does:

code:
[colin@desktop ~]$ cat /usr/share/applications/nautilus-folder-handler.desktop | grep MimeType
Edit:

One thing to consider is that I don't really have a very customised Gnome setup, so am happy to wipe it and replace with defaults upon the next login. I thought I'd deleted all my gnome preferences anyway before installing Arch (basically eliminated all the hidden gnome-related files in my home directory) but there are several settings that appear to have escaped the purge.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 25, 2007

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

teapot posted:

Also please don't forget that there is one build environment on Linux and Unix-like systems, and it's called "make".

scons seems to be gradually getting bigger...has anyone else used it?

(obviously it's still nowhere near as widespread as make)

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme
knoppix has been leading me on a wild goose chase for hours now;

I need to set the root password on an HD install (whatever the most recent version is, I guess 5.2 - blue background on the install desktop).

running "set root password" from the little penguin errors out as "su error"

trying to open a root terminal gives the same error

su or sudo in a normal terminal gives the same error.

I read online that this is caused by my not setting a root password when I did the HD install - though I was never prompted to do that

So I got a 5.0.1 disk and booted from that and opened a root window and run;

mount /dev/hda2
cd /media/hda2
chroot /media/hda2 /bin/bash (or without the bin/bash - same issue)

and get a screen full of;
bash: /dev/null: Permission denied

Ok, what the christ? If, instead of chrooting to that directory I just do;

visudo

then change the knoppix user to my HD install user name and save out, it changes the session sudo list, not the sudo list on the HD install. When I reboot to the HD install my user name isn't on the list.

Please help. All I want to do is install gcompris for my 3 year old. This can't possibly be this hard, can it?

take boat
Jul 8, 2006

teapot posted:

It's better than extremely slow video performance, non-working 3D graphics and screwed to hell device I/O performance. If anything, Boot Camp is supposed to be good at handling partitions.
Hmm, interesting. Ubuntu in VMWare Fusion is perfectly snappy to me (though my needs are admittedly light, 2D, and not disk-intensive), so if you haven't used it recently, you might consider taking another look. If you have, then different strokes for different folks and all. I've used Bootcamp before; it's good, but nowhere near as convenient as a VM.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

ChlamydiaJones posted:

:words:

The correct command for setting up a root password is just
code:
sudo passwd
It'll ask you for your own password, then prompt you for a new root password.

If you get errors at the above command, can you give us the contents of the /etc/sudoers file?

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme

Col posted:

The correct command for setting up a root password is just
code:
sudo passwd
It'll ask you for your own password, then prompt you for a new root password.

If you get errors at the above command, can you give us the contents of the /etc/sudoers file?

"user is not in the sudoers file. this incident will be reported"

And no I can't show you what's in the /etc/sudoers file as there is no way to open it without being in the /etc/sudoers file

code:
visudo
= "permission denied"
code:
vi sudoers
= "permission denied"
code:
sudo sudoers
= "user is not in the sudoers file. this incident will be reported"

As I indicated, I'm not in the sudoers file. I can't sudo. I can't su. Hence all of the informative :words: you pointed out that describe my attempt to get into that file.

code:
su
results in a password request for root that has no password.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

ChlamydiaJones posted:

code:
su
results in a password request for root that has no password.

Boot into single user mode with init=/bin/bash
1. Reboot your machine; press 'Esc' to get to the GRUB menu; select your image; press 'e' to edit; select the Kernel line.

2. Press 'e' to edit the kernel line. Edit the line to get rid of quiet and splash; change 'ro' to 'rw'; and add 'init=/bin/bash'.

3. Press 'enter' then 'b' to boot with these new settings.

Voila, root. Do a passwd or a visudo now.

Also,

teapot posted:

Can you recomend some good reading to learn the GNU toolchain?

deimos fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 25, 2007

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

Ramrod XTreme

deimos posted:

Boot into single user mode with init=/bin/bash
1. Reboot your machine; press 'Esc' to get to the GRUB menu; select your image; press 'e' to edit; select the Kernel line.

2. Press 'e' to edit the kernel line. Edit the line to get rid of quiet and splash; change 'ro' to 'rw'; and add 'init=/bin/bash'.

3. Press 'enter' then 'b' to boot with these new settings.

Voila, root. Do a passwd or a visudo now.

Rock - root now has a password! Thank you!

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

jstultz posted:

scons seems to be gradually getting bigger...has anyone else used it?

Linden/Second Life uses it.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Col posted:

Hi Teapot, thanks for looking at this.

1. Looks like it:

code:
[colin@desktop ~]$ ls /usr/share/applications/nautilus-*
/usr/share/applications/nautilus-cd-burner-open-iso.desktop
/usr/share/applications/nautilus-cd-burner.desktop
/usr/share/applications/nautilus-computer.desktop
/usr/share/applications/nautilus-file-management-properties.desktop
/usr/share/applications/nautilus-folder-handler.desktop
/usr/share/applications/nautilus-home.desktop
2. Yes it does:

code:
[colin@desktop ~]$ cat /usr/share/applications/nautilus-folder-handler.desktop | grep MimeType
Looks pretty normal for me, so defaults should be usable.

quote:

Edit:

One thing to consider is that I don't really have a very customised Gnome setup, so am happy to wipe it and replace with defaults upon the next login. I thought I'd deleted all my gnome preferences anyway before installing Arch (basically eliminated all the hidden gnome-related files in my home directory) but there are several settings that appear to have escaped the purge.

In addition to removing or renaming .gnome , .gnome2 and .gnome2_private you need to kill gconfd-2 process, then remove or rename .gconf and .gconfd directories. On the next login they will be re-created with defaults.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

ChlamydiaJones posted:

Rock - root now has a password! Thank you!

Just to comment on that, IIRC, the first user created on Ubuntu installation, and probably the same for Knoppix, is the administrative user that is allowed to run anything with sudo and has to enter his own password, however users added after that are by default regular users. So if the first user is deleted without setting other administrative users or root password, there is no way to run a root shell again without rebooting and overriding init from bootloader, what you had to do. If bootloader was locked, you would have to boot from another media (for example, live CD), mount your filesystem and either chroot to it or edit /mnt/sdwhatever/etc/sudoers, unmount and reboot.

teapot fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 26, 2007

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

deimos posted:

Can you recomend some good reading to learn the GNU toolchain?

I think, O'Reilly books should be fine for that, though info files that come with GNU autoconf, make, etc. (and are in a more readable form at http://www.gnu.org/manual/ ) are pretty usable already.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

teapot posted:

Surely quote + copy/paste could make this fewer than 4 replies?

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Scaevolus posted:

Surely quote + copy/paste could make this fewer than 4 replies?

Then I would stuff four unrelated things into one response, and make it difficult to find or to quote them.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

take boat posted:

Hmm, interesting. Ubuntu in VMWare Fusion is perfectly snappy to me (though my needs are admittedly light, 2D, and not disk-intensive), so if you haven't used it recently, you might consider taking another look.
It's probably better than what I have seen last time I did it (Workstation on PC instead f Fusion on Mac), however AFAIK, the main improvement in Fusion is its support for 3D, and it doesn't even work with Linux yet (no OpenGL translation and no Linux client driver).

quote:

If you have, then different strokes for different folks and all. I've used Bootcamp before; it's good, but nowhere near as convenient as a VM.
You have to take into account that with Linux you don't get any advantage from being able to roll back the image unless you are doing some kinds of development that involves system boot-up process -- package manager is sufficient, and it won't mess with the files in your home directory. I guess, being able to run OSX at the same time is useful.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I am trying to install any flavor of Linux on our spare server, but for some reason can not get past formatting the hard drive.

It is a ~300GB SATA drive which Ubuntu, openSUSE, and gparted all label sda1 (for scsi?).

I am attempting to partition it thusly:
/dev/sda1 ext3 as / - 20GB
/dev/sda2 swap - 2GB
/dev/sda3 ext3 as /home - 257GB

For both Ubuntu and openSUSE, the installations seem to run fine until they try to format the /home partition. They get to 99% and then crash. openSUSE gives a system error code -3009 which I can't really find any information on except for this:
http://www.unixadmintalk.com/f61/system-error-code-3009-a-493458/.

I tried using gparted, and it can successfully format everything, but when I install Ubuntu on top, the /home partition is just missing, and openSUSE attempts to repartition the gparted partition and blows up.

Is it time for me to just cut my losses and throw Windows Server 2003 on it, cause I am too frigging stupid for Linux?

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Oldstench posted:

I am trying to install any flavor of Linux on our spare server, but for some reason can not get past formatting the hard drive.

It is a ~300GB SATA drive which Ubuntu, openSUSE, and gparted all label sda1 (for scsi?).

I am attempting to partition it thusly:
/dev/sda1 ext3 as / - 20GB
/dev/sda2 swap - 2GB
/dev/sda3 ext3 as /home - 257GB

For both Ubuntu and openSUSE, the installations seem to run fine until they try to format the /home partition. They get to 99% and then crash. openSUSE gives a system error code -3009 which I can't really find any information on except for this:
http://www.unixadmintalk.com/f61/system-error-code-3009-a-493458/.

I tried using gparted, and it can successfully format everything, but when I install Ubuntu on top, the /home partition is just missing, and openSUSE attempts to repartition the gparted partition and blows up.

Is it time for me to just cut my losses and throw Windows Server 2003 on it, cause I am too frigging stupid for Linux?

You have a physical error somewhere. When formatting, enable checking for bad sectors or, better, get another drive.

If you managed to install Ubuntu and just didn't make the last partition, you can make and format it after the rest of the system is installed already.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

teapot posted:

You have a physical error somewhere. When formatting, enable checking for bad sectors or, better, get another drive.

If you managed to install Ubuntu and just didn't make the last partition, you can make and format it after the rest of the system is installed already.

Thanks - I'll try to check for errors...if I can figure it out :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Oldstench posted:

Thanks - I'll try to check for errors...if I can figure it out :)

From live CD as root:

code:
mke2fs -ccj /dev/sda3