Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
What if you end up hating it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Now it's my time to shine!

First is my Epiphone Firebird Studio:

So far I've installed a graphtec nut, Schaller straplocks and a Seymour Duncan SH6-B. The front strap button will eventually need to be moved closer to the neck join to counter the headstock-heavy nature of the Firebird. I am considering replacing the pick-guard with something closer to the colour of the body, I am not the biggest fan of how the white and worn cherry mix together.
There is also a weird rattle/buzz that appears briefly if the D string is plucked with some force, appears to be coming from the middle of the neck itself. Not a major issue, as it can't be heard in any way when plugged in, but I would like to see if I can get rid of it at some point. Besides that, this is a great guitar.

Next is the ZOOM MRS-8 Multitrack recorder:

Despite having owned this for nearly 6 months now, I am yet to record any full tracks, but I do use this unit daily as a metronome and modeller, at which it is very competent. The recording quality is very high, and stores on SD media (1GB max, about 320 mins at max quality). I am going to buy a ZOOM G7.1UT soon, so I will be able to do direct PC recording, but I will still use this for an ideas/band rehearsal machine, and the inbuilt mic is far from useless.

And my newest addition to my ever growing collection - an LTD GL 600FB Baritone:

I bought this last weekend, virtually an impulse buy. I had wanted a baritone/7-String for some time, but it was always a "I'll do it some day" kind of want. However, during one of the periodic sales at the local music shop, I stumbled upon an 80% discount tag attached to this guitar, knocking the price down from the $2,499AU RRP down to a vastly more palatable $500AU. A quick bit of research and some shuffled funds later, and this guitar was mine.
Despite the overly agressive finish, it is an awesome guitar. Flawless in presentation, loaded with quality components (Sperzel tuners, SD pickup, TonePro bridge) and a dream to play in spite of the gloss finish on the neck, which is something I am normally diametrically opposed to. I currently have it set up in B standard tuning, but it has the capacity to go much lower without ill effects. The only modification I am likely to engage in is a set of straplocks to bring it in line with the rest of my guitars. I could not be happier with this instrument.

Until the next time I buy something fancy, farewell!

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Mighty Scoop posted:

What if you end up hating it?

I've been thinking about this all night at work actually.

It'd probably be better if I just forget about it and do all those mods I've wanted to do on my other guitars, like volume/tone/coiltap/3-way on my Squier and get a Hipshot B-Bender for my Tele, along with three other pickups, a totally new control plate with like 10 switches etc etc.

With that though, the hard part might be finding a guitar tech who won't mind dealing with some of my hairbrained wiring ideas.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?
I don't know when, maybe next paycheck, maybe the one after, but I will definitely be getting this:

But what does it sound like??

http://www.killerrockandroll.com/deathbyaudio/suprsonicfuzzgun.html

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Susano-maku da! posted:

I don't know when, maybe next paycheck, maybe the one after, but I will definitely be getting this:

But what does it sound like??

http://www.killerrockandroll.com/deathbyaudio/suprsonicfuzzgun.html

I'm in the market for an oscillator pedal, too. I had JD at General Guitar Gadgets build me Tim Escobedo's Uglyface Auto-Oscillator and since then I've been dying for more...

Check these out, too.

Edit: Here's some more poo poo that might blow you away. I'm extraordinarily interested in these noise pedals because they've got expression pedal inputs, too.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 26, 2007

t_rf
Nov 24, 2006

Roland MT-32. The LA synthesis of the D-50 in a module form. Won in an eBay auction. Of course the seller set the shipping($20) to about as much as the winning bid($20.50). I was prepared to pay over $50 so the total price is still a good deal to me.

Main reason I want it is because older PC games use it for sound - they usually composed to MT-32 first and then downgraded everything for Soundblaster cards. The existing emulations are still quite inaccurate, so you really need the actual hardware. I can probably get use from it as just synth hardware too, but the main draw is the retro-gaming angle.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

shemaghs are so gay its like smegma hahaha
So I got a big loving amplifier on Sunday. Ampeg V3 combo. 60w, all tube, blah blah. Going to make jazzy emo music with my friends. I also got a DS-1.

I saw one of these things at the store the other day and decided I must have one I probably peed myself a little bit:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

RandomCheese posted:

And my newest addition to my ever growing collection - an LTD GL 600FB Baritone:

I bought this last weekend, virtually an impulse buy. I had wanted a baritone/7-String for some time, but it was always a "I'll do it some day" kind of want. However, during one of the periodic sales at the local music shop, I stumbled upon an 80% discount tag attached to this guitar, knocking the price down from the $2,499AU RRP down to a vastly more palatable $500AU. A quick bit of research and some shuffled funds later, and this guitar was mine.
Despite the overly agressive finish, it is an awesome guitar. Flawless in presentation, loaded with quality components (Sperzel tuners, SD pickup, TonePro bridge) and a dream to play in spite of the gloss finish on the neck, which is something I am normally diametrically opposed to. I currently have it set up in B standard tuning, but it has the capacity to go much lower without ill effects. The only modification I am likely to engage in is a set of straplocks to bring it in line with the rest of my guitars. I could not be happier with this instrument.

Until the next time I buy something fancy, farewell!

Jesus, that's quite a discount, where was that from?

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Handen posted:

I'm in the market for an oscillator pedal, too. I had JD at General Guitar Gadgets build me Tim Escobedo's Uglyface Auto-Oscillator and since then I've been dying for more...

Check these out, too.

Edit: Here's some more poo poo that might blow you away. I'm extraordinarily interested in these noise pedals because they've got expression pedal inputs, too.

Jesus loving christ. Well, now I'm sort of on the fence, that's some of the harshest poo poo I've heard. Although the Death by Audio seems more dynamic... I wonder.

Know any other boutique fuzz companies?

Susano-maku da! fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 27, 2007

Wobegon
Jan 13, 2007

by The Finn

Susano-maku da! posted:

Jesus loving christ. Well, now I'm sort of on the fence, that's some of the harshest poo poo I've heard. Although the Death by Audio seems more dynamic... I wonder.

Know any other boutique fuzz companies?

look around on the analogman website - he makes/sells a variety of sick fuzz pedals. drat I've posted about him on 4 pages now, people will start asking if I work for him soon. (I don't, I have 4 pedals by him, and all of them kick serious, serious rear end)

Also, Pedalgeek.com has a lot of lesser-known companies - I bought a HBE-AZ Compressor Retro from them and had a good shopping experience with them, and its a killer pedal. I really want to try an AudioMonk FuzzBeard, but can't afford a new fuzz pedal atm (I dont use much Fuzz).

Wobegon fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 27, 2007

Admiral Crunch
Nov 26, 2005

by Peatpot

Capitan Dad posted:

So I got a big loving amplifier on Sunday. Ampeg V3 combo. 60w, all tube, blah blah. Going to make jazzy emo music with my friends. I also got a DS-1.

I saw one of these things at the store the other day and decided I must have one I probably peed myself a little bit:

OH GOD

I watn it so much it hurts. I played one at the store the other day and it was amazing. If they're still mkaing them once I have money I might buy it.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.
So, I got a new set of the tubes for the bassman. They sound awesome, however, I think I still prefer my Hot Rod Deluxe. The Bassman sounds great and has a vintage vibe, but there's something "more" to my HRD. A little extra "weight" behind each note, if that makes sense. It may be because I have my power tubes biased kinda hot, whereas the Bassman is a fixed-bias amp, and they idle a bit cold.

Who knows.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Well I won't be getting that Reverse V anymore. I've decided I have enough guitars for the time being. So instead, I bought this.

<<Click Picture for Details>>

Soundclip 1
Soundclip 2
Soundclip 3
Soundclip 4
Soundclip 5

Now, does anybody know where I can find a Moogerfooger EP-1 Expression pedal?

Next in line are the Angel Ring and Devil Tail pedals.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 27, 2007

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Concatenation posted:

Jesus, that's quite a discount, where was that from?

Local music store.

I keep trying to spread my business evenly between the two music shops in town, but these guys always seem to get my money first. I even bought the straplocks from them today.

Gym Leader Barack fucked around with this message at 11:11 on May 18, 2011

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Handen posted:

Well I won't be getting that Reverse V anymore. I've decided I have enough guitars for the time being. So instead, I bought this.

<<Click Picture for Details>>

Soundclip 1
Soundclip 2
Soundclip 3
Soundclip 4
Soundclip 5

Now, does anybody know where I can find a Moogerfooger EP-1 Expression pedal?

Next in line are the Angel Ring and Devil Tail pedals.

I heard those clips at the analogman page, it sounds awesome. Those japanese LAL pedals are wayyyy out there.

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie
Early 80s P bass Special candy apple red with matching headstock. Neck is in great shape and the frets recently dressed and quite high. I was hitting music stores for a HWY1 P bass or something I could screw around with but this one was a great deal. It came with the original pickguard and preamp (single ply black). I have a white pearloid pickguard and white pickup covers ordered for it.

Alfa Tard fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 27, 2007

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

You know, I want to ask what kind of pickups/guitar would work best with those boutique fuzz pedals, but I kind of want to make a boutique pedal thread.

I ask because I finally listened to A Place To Bury Strangers, and while the effects sound great, I can't help but wonder if there's there's a more dynamic instrument they can use with it than a Jaguar.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

yeah, I went there :c00lbert:

seriously, you guys in the States are lucky. I've heard about the white ones being blown out at Guitar Center for $399. That's not much for a Triton (even though it doesn't have as much of the effects). The arpeggiator is immensely fun. It has USB, so it's a controller at the same time, too.

WET BUTT
Mar 11, 2005

For slide! But it also sounds better than my SG for cleans, so that's nuts. This thing is crazy good for a 250 dollar guitar. I have no idea how they sell them so cheap.

And a BYOC clone of this being built

juan chaos
Sep 3, 2006
Let It Die

WET BUTT posted:

And a BYOC clone of this being built

You'll love it. Make sure to adjust the internal voltage to match your guitar so it comes out at unity.

Here's mine (which I actually got last week along with my Catalinbread Serrano Picoso) on my pedalboard

cardinalpuck
Jul 31, 2005

Maybe this

or maybe this

or possibly this

or i might splurge and get this

my question is why do people scoff at the idea of buying a Taylor? Do Taylors suck? I've always been impressed with how they sound in-store. What's a comparable guitar to a Taylor 314?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Well my 314 is pretty comprable to a 314. :mmmhmm:

I'm not sure why people would scoff at Taylor's, I like the way mine sounds.

H to the ickle
Feb 17, 2007

All butter must come to an end.
I love my 314 as well, I have the Fall '04 Edition and it's been nothing but a joy to play/record with for the going on three years I've had it.

WET BUTT
Mar 11, 2005

juan chaos posted:

You'll love it. Make sure to adjust the internal voltage to match your guitar so it comes out at unity.

Here's mine (which I actually got last week along with my Catalinbread Serrano Picoso) on my pedalboard

Ha, I've seen your board on harmony central. It rules.

Yeah I can't wait till my VB-2 is finished. The ramp mode is what I'm definitely looking forward to.

Do you know where to put it in the chain in terms of modulation? I'm guessing after chorus.

I use Wah->VintageRat->HarmonicPercolator->BigMuff->SmallClone->EchoPark->65TRRI right now, so I guess before or after the clone. Or maybe it would sound rad before the Muff. No idea yet.

WET BUTT fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 28, 2007

juan chaos
Sep 3, 2006
Let It Die

WET BUTT posted:

Ha, I've seen your board on harmony central. It rules.

Yeah I can't wait till my VB-2 is finished. The ramp mode is what I'm definitely looking forward to.

Do you know where to put it in the chain in terms of modulation? I'm guessing after chorus.

I use Wah->VintageRat->HarmonicPercolator->BigMuff->SmallClone->EchoPark->65TRRI right now, so I guess before or after the clone. Or maybe it would sound rad before the Muff. No idea yet.

I think it depends a bit on how you're going to set it. At the slower settings, having it before dirt will make it lose a bit of definition in the warble. At higher settings, it'll be more pronounced obviously and won't be as lost. I've got mine after dirt because I switch between slower and faster settings.

As far as whether to place it before or after Chorus, I imagine it'll be to personal taste over anything else. I imagine perhaps after chorus so you don't get lots of pitch vibrato craziness in the higher settings of the Small Clone (which I remember can get that really detuned chorus sound).

I hope you enjoy it. My friend Dave built mine and he had a hell of a time. It's one of the harder BYOC builds and he actually had to bring it to his work where he has better tools for the job.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I just found out about the Moog FreqBox, now I'm anxious to find out whether I should have gone with one of them or if I made the right choice with the LAL Cyber Psychic... I guess we'll see in a few weeks!

Also, has anyone heard of Q-Tuners? If so, what do you think?

I have an idea, somebody stop me if it's too far out there...

This is a Q-Tuner Transparent humbucker:

They come in Black, White or Transparent, seen above. I think a transparent humbucker is a great idea, it's visually intriguing and interesting - but the wire is bright red, there are no other options. Bright red pickups might not be so great on an all-blue guitar.

Next, this is a Strat pickup by Curtis Novak wound with "Liquid Blue Nylon" aluminum magnet wire. The wire was manufactured in 1965, and some preliminary searching leads me to believe it's not too easy to come across.

My idea is to get into contact with both Curtis Novak and Neophyzix who make Q-Tuners, and try to have a pair of custom blue Q-tuners created; preferably by finding out where I can find blue wire and then send it to Q-Tuners for a custom pair of High Z humbuckers in blue. Am I out of my mind or is this an avenue worth exploring?

I guess they'd look like this (I made this in photoshop):

And they'd look great on this:

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Sep 29, 2007

Occupy Japan
Feb 4, 2005

I've spent so much time clopping to fillies that my joints have locked up!

Handen posted:

clear pickups

It's a neat idea, but I hope you're ready to pay through the nose for a pickup that "looks cool".

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000

w00trow wilson posted:

It's a neat idea, but I hope you're ready to pay through the nose for a pickup that "looks cool".

yeah, i think a matched pair is like $280 and individually they're $150 apiece. Make sure the sound is what you're looking for.

zigb
Mar 21, 2007
I didn't see too many studio monitors in this thread, so I thought I'd chime in with:

Mackie HR824mk2 x2.

I apologize for the stock image from their site, I can't afford a digital camera, particularly after buying these. Most people will compare these with other monitors in a showroom and choose something else, these don't have the thumpin' bass of other speaker sets.. I bought them for the fact that each speaker comes w/ its own test results in the form of a ruler-flat frequency chart. The two speakers test to within about .2 dB of each other and within 1.5 dB of absolutely flat at the two places where they aren't absolutely flat.

They've already improved how well my mixes translate to people's cars, etc.. now I need to move my compy/mix setup out of the corner ;(

Exploded
Sep 13, 2002
I TAKE ATTRROCIOUS AMMMOUNTS OF ACID SO EVERYBODY will LIKE IT AND BE FNIE
Those are easily the coolest looking humbuckers i've ever seen. It'd be hard to tell from the audience but anybody that's into pickups will instantly go apeshit over those. I wonder how they sound.
I'm getting my strat custom painted but once i get it back (with new pups and setup and everything) i'll take a picture of it sitting with my hotrod 4x10.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!
A little something I picked up so my daughter and I can jam:

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Searching online shows lots of places selling blue magnet wire. Don't pay through the nose for NOS blue stuff, just ask the Q-Tuner guy to use some blue wire.

DodGrile
Jul 20, 2006

There should be something funny here. There isn't.

lovely mobile phone photo, but it's a Fender J5 Triple Tele. And it's loving awesome to play. Bonus points: you can blind most of the audience quite easily if you get bored.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

DodGrile posted:

lovely mobile phone photo, but it's a Fender J5 Triple Tele. And it's loving awesome to play. Bonus points: you can blind most of the audience quite easily if you get bored.

That's is amazing. Where do I get me one of those, and how much?

DodGrile
Jul 20, 2006

There should be something funny here. There isn't.

kenthebear posted:

That's is amazing. Where do I get me one of those, and how much?

They're a bitch to find - I think they're a relatively new line, and I've struggled for months to find one - but they're worth it. I paid just under £600 (UK), and it plays the hell out of a lot of more expensive guitars to me.

the wizards beard posted:

Does that Tele have the big crazy John 5 headstock?

Nope - standard Tele headstock, just black so it doesn't look stupid against the rest of the guitar.

Edit: like this like this

DodGrile fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 30, 2007

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Does that Tele have the big crazy John 5 headstock?

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
My new ukulele and bowed psaltery:

And here is a little demo track I made primarily using those two instruments. The only other things on there are a bass, some tambourine, and Fruity playing the drums. The performance leaves something to be desired (I spent a grand total of maybe 15 minutes on it), but it does sound kinda like Gorillaz. :v:

Extra special thanks to TapTheForwardAssist for finding the psaltery on Ebay and passing the link on to me.

mofolotopo fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 30, 2007

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

mofolotopo posted:

My new ukulele and bowed psaltery:

And here is a little demo track I made primarily using those two instruments. The only other things on there are a bass, some tambourine, and Fruity playing the drums. The performance leaves something to be desired (I spent a grand total of maybe 15 minutes on it), but it does sound kinda like Gorillaz. :v:

Distinctive! The uke part sounds great, you clearly have the guitar chops. Psaltery takes some time to get used to; are you using rosin on the bow or no? The right balance of rosin (I think) and refining the bowing technique will help to smooth out the sound.

I believe ww.everythingdulcimer.com is the closest website to having a Bowed Psaltery messageboard. If you ask in either "Bowed Dulcimer" or in "Hammered Dulcimer", there should be crossover folks who also play bowed psaltery. Free forum, friendly folks, and about the only place to find multiple BP players.

Definitely an unusual entry in this thread!

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Distinctive! The uke part sounds great, you clearly have the guitar chops. Psaltery takes some time to get used to; are you using rosin on the bow or no? The right balance of rosin (I think) and refining the bowing technique will help to smooth out the sound.

I think it's more technique than lack of rosin - I'm pretty terrible at it still. I'm going to be leaving the country for a few months soon, so I'm probably not going to get much chance to improve before the end of the year. Ah well, something to do over Christmas vacation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Just got a message back about blue wire Q-tuners.

quote:

Thanks for your e-mail. The reason for the coils being red, is the fact that we
use thermo-glue wire which allows us to produce air coils. Thermo-glue magnet
wire comes in red and is baked in an oven to obtain bonded/solid coils having
their windings "fused" together. Recently, a customer asked us whether we could
manufacture a transparent silver Q-tuner. The only way to pull this off is by
immersing the bonded coils in silver paint. If this works, it will also work for
other colors such as blue. I should now more in a week or two.

So it appears it might work, if they use paint... and as an artist on the side, now I'm gonna be curious as to whether or not I can have total control over the paint colours, too. Like, maybe I can match them to the abalone guard on my Jag, or just deal with a light, slightly desaturated blue like the ones above.

I always feel like I'm being a pain in the rear end to whoever has to deal with my occasionally retarded questions, but I'm very interested in finding out how this works.

Edit:

Here's what it might look like.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 1, 2007