Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Fuego Fish posted:

He's magically hiding the city, basically making it so people won't pay attention to it and that kind of thing. Like the TARDIS!

Is cloister a spell? What's it from? I couldn't find it. Or is it a function of that headband?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

terminal mehmet posted:

Is cloister a spell? What's it from? I couldn't find it. Or is it a function of that headband?

Homerule, probably. OotS isn't exactly a straight up by-the-book D&D game.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Fuego Fish posted:

Homerule, probably. OotS isn't exactly a straight up by-the-book D&D game.

True, but it's fun catching all the meta stuff.

happyelf
Nov 9, 2000

by mons al-madeen
I assume it prevents magical scrying and comunication, I don't think it makes it invisible or anything. Which is great because it means more time for the half the PC's to spend pissing around in azure city.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.
I really hate to admit that I've grown to look forward to Erfworld, after the saccharine "welcome to our goofy world' ended, it's gotten steadily better. Not one cutsie moment at all in 72, no joke, just story, and Wanda looking like a broken toy was pretty sad.

Detetsu
Jan 14, 2006

Your loyal assistant Dr. Meowgon is all over this one.

gothfae posted:

I really hate to admit that I've grown to look forward to Erfworld, after the saccharine "welcome to our goofy world' ended, it's gotten steadily better. Not one cutsie moment at all in 72, no joke, just story, and Wanda looking like a broken toy was pretty sad.

It's not bad, though I'm looking forward to seeing how Hamster will screw the good guys. Incidently, do you find the Tool's speech layout in the middle panel distracting? It's normal left to right and top to bottom, but at the end of the first set of bubbles it links to the last bubble of the next line making me want to read that first and then go left which is the wrong order. Very weird.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Order of the Stick is still the best webcomic ever. Even if I never believe it will ever update again every time it is posted after coming back from a hiatus. As someone just said a few pages back, it is great to see them go back to general riffing on the ludicrousness of gaming after such a long time with the much more serious castle siege.

Wolfsheim posted:

Like, one step below Hot Topic "the penguins steal my sanity" shirts bad. Erfworld:argh:

It is important that I triumphantly return to this thread to say that I have started reading Erfworld and actually like it now. Plus, while his merchandise is not that exciting, I do love the "PLOT!" sound effect and accompanying graphic.

Once I read it from beginning to end, it became obvious that the Internet jokes and other things, as pointed out earlier in the thread (probably by my best friend Halloween Jack), are completely logical with the storyline, since the entire campaign is ostensibly taking place in a ridiculous miniaturized version of a super-nerd's homebrew strategy game based out of his basement hideaway.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

New OotS up.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0488.html

Server seems just fine right now, so I'm not going to bother with an image backup.

I was wondering if all of Roy's little snarky moments would come back to bite him...

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
I had some problems though so, just in case.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

farraday posted:

I had some problems though so, just in case.

Nice to see Roy getting penalized for some of the stuff he pulled early on. I always thought leaving Elan was a pretty jerk thing to do.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Hehe, Death's Li'l Helper

Samedi
Aug 26, 2003

I turn evil.
I didn't remember the oracle reference either, at first. It was pretty funny once I got it though.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Samedi posted:

I didn't remember the oracle reference either, at first. It was pretty funny once I got it though.

No remembers the oracle, they forget everything but the answers given. THat's why it was funny :3:

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Soonmot posted:

No remembers the oracle, they forget everything but the answers given. THat's why it was funny :3:

What oracle? I don't remember them actually meeting any oracle, they just headed towards it and the next strip they had all the answers :confused:

:3:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Today's Erfworld is basically the worst Erfworld ever.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Rincewind posted:

Today's Erfworld is basically the worst Erfworld ever.

Anything with a reference to The Fonz is A-OK in my book.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Quarex posted:

Once I read it from beginning to end, it became obvious that the Internet jokes and other things, as pointed out earlier in the thread (probably by my best friend Halloween Jack), are completely logical with the storyline, since the entire campaign is ostensibly taking place in a ridiculous miniaturized version of a super-nerd's homebrew strategy game based out of his basement hideaway.
:orks::hf::black101:

This comic was saved by the presence of Vinnie Doombats, Official Erfworld Likable Character.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Halloween Jack posted:

:orks: :hf: :black101:

This comic was saved by the presence of Vinnie Doombats, Official Erfworld Likable Character.

Haha. Yeah, now that you mention it, Vinnie Doombats really is generally the best thing going in the strips he is in.

Though I like Bogroll and the Dirtomancer a lot, too. In fact, my new live band will be called "Bogroll and the Dirtomancers."

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

New strip is up!

So, does this mean that the Godwin rule is cited?

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

Mirror if the site collapses into flaming tar:

I'm really far more entertained by the Belkar heads than I have any right to be.

Although, on another point, holy wall of text Rich. I know people who refuse to read the comic just because half the time it's a gigantic text blob.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Minor typo in that one I think - it's Cruella de Vil iirc. Maybe someone with a forums account there could let him know?

So how does the balance look for Roy at the moment? I reckon his collaboration with Shojo in subverting the laws of Azure City will count against him, since that's more of a chaotic good act than lawful. Plus from a metagaming stance I think he's going to be raised knowing he'll have to redeem himself in some way.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I think this thread is overwhelmed by how frequently the strip is updating these days. While I imagine it is just the three-times-per-week it is supposed to be, in comparison it seems like it updates every day.

And that was a fine Sauron reference.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
I like how Belkar's chart measures evil in kilonazis. Nice touch.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

ZorbaTHut posted:

Although, on another point, holy wall of text Rich. I know people who refuse to read the comic just because half the time it's a gigantic text blob.

I think it's stupid to not read a comic of this quality because Rich likes to flesh out his dialogue.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
Belkar is currently resting at a mere 500 nazipower?

This cannot stand, gentlemen. This cannot stand.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

^^^ Well he's alone with Haley now, god knows if she'll be able to reign him in at all like Roy could.

Apocron posted:

I think it's stupid to not read a comic of this quality because Rich likes to flesh out his dialogue.

Yea, this isn't actually a 'giant wall of text', its a prolonged dialgoue between two characters. I mean sure I guess a lot is being said, but its being done very much in the spirit of the characters and in a way that makes sense and gels with the rest of the narrative -- its basically a debriefing from all the action that was in the previous section!

A real wall of text is like in that Goblins comic (I think) where he just broke up the ongoing action -- not to mention the entire panel structure -- to dump in the history of some weapon in a really poorly chosen font.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
I wonder what event the small spike right before 1184 represents.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Manyorcas posted:

Maybe that was during the Miko/ Belkar fight when he killed all those guards.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

Manyorcas posted:

Well, storyline wise, right before the Azure City new year, Belkar did commit a gruesome murder in Azure City with the intention of antagonizing Miko into a prolongued duel against him in the hopes of causing her to fall from grace. Then again, that might be a different new year.

Conversely, if we're looking for something in the middle of the plot thus far, maybe it was when he slaughtered those lame barbarians...

I dunno.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

NutShellBill posted:

Well, storyline wise, right before the Azure City new year, Belkar did commit a gruesome murder in Azure City with the intention of antagonizing Miko into a prolongued duel against him in the hopes of causing her to fall from grace. Then again, that might be a different new year.

Conversely, if we're looking for something in the middle of the plot thus far, maybe it was when he slaughtered those lame barbarians...

I dunno.

Soylentbits posted:

Maybe that was during the Miko/ Belkar fight when he killed all those guards.

Right, I completely forgot that the new year was mentioned. That was the only thing stopping me from thinking it was the Miko/ Belkar fight.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Ashcans posted:

A real wall of text is like in that Goblins comic (I think) where he just broke up the ongoing action -- not to mention the entire panel structure -- to dump in the history of some weapon in a really poorly chosen font.

That was not the first time in Goblins he had stopped the action in the middle to relay a brief history of something, in that exact same font and background. He might have even done it two times before, but I only remember one for sure.

That it is some sort of motif does not change the fact that it was a huge wall of text, however.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

DoctorTristan posted:

Minor typo in that one I think - it's Cruella de Vil iirc. Maybe someone with a forums account there could let him know?

So how does the balance look for Roy at the moment? I reckon his collaboration with Shojo in subverting the laws of Azure City will count against him, since that's more of a chaotic good act than lawful. Plus from a metagaming stance I think he's going to be raised knowing he'll have to redeem himself in some way.

I think the collaboration with Shojo was an effort to maintain the nature order of the universe, which is was Lawful is all about (despite the word Law being in there since it's easier to say Lawful than Orderful). But then again, one could argue breaking the "law" (even via the head law guy) goes against the tenants of order, when trying to maintain order. Oh man, where are the philosophers?

Caselogic.com
Jan 5, 2002

Quarex posted:

I think this thread is overwhelmed by how frequently the strip is updating these days. While I imagine it is just the three-times-per-week it is supposed to be, in comparison it seems like it updates every day.

And that was a fine Sauron reference.

I believe that was the whole point of the break, to give him a break from the grind and let him get ahead of himself with the panels.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

DoctorTristan posted:

Well Shojo was leader of his country, so it would have been a chaotic act not to have collaborated with him. :colbert:

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Schwarzwald posted:

Well Shojo was leader of his country, so it would have been a chaotic act not to have collaborated with him. :colbert:

Oh Law/Chaos alignment axis, what problems don't you create?

Besides, it's not like Roy being sent to the Neutral Good heaven-plane would be any less nice for him than the Lawful Good one; if anything, the people there are probably more fun to hang out with, and bonus, guaranteed lack of paladins.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Choke Babies Now posted:

Oh Law/Chaos alignment axis, what problems don't you create?

Besides, it's not like Roy being sent to the Neutral Good heaven-plane would be any less nice for him than the Lawful Good one; if anything, the people there are probably more fun to hang out with, and bonus, guaranteed lack of paladins.

Once you're in Lawful Good heaven, can you quit with the all the stuck-up-edness or are there standards you have to maintain?

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Isn't his fairy girlfriend Lawful Good though? I mean she really doesn't seem chaotic at all. Also I'm not sure how much Roy would enjoy being perpetually surrounded by alternate versions of Elan and Haley.

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb
Could anyone fix the bottom edge of this picture to look consistent, as in fixing the rope and other stuff I want to make it into an avatar? Thank you so much in advance.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

KaLogain posted:

Could anyone fix the bottom edge of this picture to look consistent, as in fixing the rope and other stuff I want to make it into an avatar? Thank you so much in advance.

I just noticed that there's one guy in this entire picture who's smiling. My objection isn't with the hordes of unhappy dead people - I just want to know, why's that dude so happy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

ZorbaTHut posted:

I just noticed that there's one guy in this entire picture who's smiling. My objection isn't with the hordes of unhappy dead people - I just want to know, why's that dude so happy?

"I'm gonna see my dad again..." :unsmith: