Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juan chaos
Sep 3, 2006
Let It Die

drat I love vintage Boss pedals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Finally got the right pickguard for my Stambaugh:

Now it just needs the right knobs and pickups. :sigh:

Oh also I got THIS little number a while ago:

Fender Precision Special Deluxe. With flats. It KILLS.

(and yes, the frontman in that band IS wearing a dark Spiderman costume, why do you ask?)

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

Handen posted:

Here's what it might look like.

Oh man that looks sweet! Have you read any reviews on these pickups or do you just like their look? I saw these for the first time (not IRL) last week, so come back with a full review and sound samples if you decide to buy them.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Dr. Klas posted:

Oh man that looks sweet! Have you read any reviews on these pickups or do you just like their look? I saw these for the first time (not IRL) last week, so come back with a full review and sound samples if you decide to buy them.

A while back I was reading some thread about Neodymium magnets and someone posted a website where these supposedly "super-magnets" could be purchased in all shapes and sizes, and I became interested in maybe trying to make a pickup out of them myself, but I have never made a pickup and found the prospect too overwhelming so I forgot about it.

Then I was browsing for tabs and came across an ad for these pickups with neodymium magnets and was instantly drawn to them. I've read the reviews and am just itching to try them out, and even considered buying a red Jaguar to put the clear ones in until I found out about blue wire, which made me wonder if they could be made with that instead.

I hope they find a way. :)

Edit: Here's a cool fact according to Wikipedia.

quote:

Neodymium is used in the strongest permanent magnets known - Nd2Fe14B. These magnets are cheaper, lighter, and stronger than samarium-cobalt magnets. Neodymium magnets appear in high-quality products such as microphones, professional loudspeakers, in-ear headphones, Dokodemo Magnets, guitar and bass guitar pick-ups and computer hard disks where low mass, small volume, or strong magnetic fields are required.

mith
Sep 30, 2003

Capitan Dad posted:

I saw one of these things at the store the other day and decided I must have one I probably peed myself a little bit:

I saw this on muscian's friend a couple months back and fell in love.

How does it sound?

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.

warwick5s posted:

(and yes, the frontman in that band IS wearing a dark Spiderman costume, why do you ask?)

This, combined with your drummer's hat, makes me want to drive wherever I can to see you guys.

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

FlossMan posted:

This, combined with your drummer's hat, makes me want to drive wherever I can to see you guys.

:spidey: Also note the red white and blue keytar propped against the keyboard stand. :spidey:

Unfortunately they're in Chicago and I'm in Madison, so I'm just kind of spot starting until they find another bass player.

Good stuff though: http://www.myspace.com/moderndaysavagemusic

Pirateparty
Apr 12, 2007

Scurvy
I'm about to start saving for new gear! If any of you musical goons have any experience with this stuff please leave your feedback. :)

First off I'm saving for a couple of amps:

Crate GT1200H/G412SHL halfstack.

Behringer BX4500H 450 watt bass head.

And mostly likely an Epi. Thunderbird fairly soon as well.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Alfa Tard posted:

Nice, Ive heard good things about the Classic. How much did you throw down on it if you dont mind me asking?

Pirateparty posted:

I'm about to start saving for new gear! If any of you musical goons have any experience with this stuff please leave your feedback. :)

First off I'm saving for a couple of amps:

Crate GT1200H/G412SHL halfstack.

Behringer BX4500H 450 watt bass head.

And mostly likely an Epi. Thunderbird fairly soon as well.

Well not to discourage you... but I've never come across a Crate amp/cab that I've liked. I mean, I've never had an experience with one breaking down on me or anything, but they just sound so... generic.

As for behringer, my momma said if you don't have anything nice to say... well, you get the idea.

The thunderbird is a great bass though. I absolutely loved mine and only sold it because I picked up a Lakland and didn't really need it anymore. Build up your neck/shoulder muscles though, the thing takes a nosedive when strapped up.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 3, 2007

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.

warwick5s posted:

:spidey: Also note the red white and blue keytar propped against the keyboard stand. :spidey:

Unfortunately they're in Chicago and I'm in Madison, so I'm just kind of spot starting until they find another bass player.

Good stuff though: http://www.myspace.com/moderndaysavagemusic

Well, poo poo, my neck of the woods (kinda). I'm in Milwaukee, so I may just find the time to see them one of these days.

Meursault Horny
Sep 9, 2003

juan chaos posted:

drat I love vintage Boss pedals.

:swoon:

I just bought one of these on ebay:

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I bought a broken Samarium Cobalt bridge pickup for Telecaster for $12 on eBay.

I'm gonna try to fix it, and then compare it to...

...which I also just bought on eBay. Actually, I bought two SD Stacks, but when the first guy went to pack it and send it to me, it fell on the floor and broke, so I got my money refunded and bought this one for cheaper.

I also finally bought:

• Mustang bridge for my Jaguar that LOOKED like it had no spaces between the saddles, like the vintage models, but I guess we'll see when it gets here.
  • Jaguar tremolo arm bushing for USA trem arms... supposedly they fit Japanese tremolos too, and if they do, I'll be glad (but I'll also have to get a new trem arm.)
  • 18' of cloth wire to rewire the hell out of my guitars.

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

3toes posted:

Nice, Ive heard good things about the Classic. How much did you throw down on it if you dont mind me asking?

$340 shipped from the TalkBass classifieds. There was an SVP Pro there recently as well but since selling my SVT (due to it's weight) I was really looking for the CL.

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

Handen posted:

I bought a broken Samarium Cobalt bridge pickup for Telecaster for $12 on eBay.

I'm gonna try to fix it, and then compare it to...

...which I also just bought on eBay. Actually, I bought two SD Stacks, but when the first guy went to pack it and send it to me, it fell on the floor and broke, so I got my money refunded and bought this one for cheaper.

I don't have any experience with the Duncan stacks, but the SCN pickup has a really nice traditional Tele sound, not like the Vintage Noiseless at all. Don't be alarmed if you still get a little hum from it when you crank up the gain. Initially I had thought I'd made a bad ground connection or something because the neck pickup is dead silent, but on comparison it's not much noisier than the bridge SCN in my deluxe Strat and is actually quieter than the EMGs in my standard. I think I might just have a ridiculous amount of RF noise around here.

Anyway, it looks like it's just missing one of the ground wires, eh? Should be a pretty easy fix and $12 is a hell of a deal.

ConanTheGnarbarian
Aug 25, 2005

You took my father's sword... ah!!!!!

I got both of these about a month ago.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

ConanTheGnarbarian posted:

I got both of these about a month ago.

What's your address and when's the next time you'll be out of town?

Pirateparty
Apr 12, 2007

Scurvy

3toes posted:

Well not to discourage you... but I've never come across a Crate amp/cab that I've liked. I mean, I've never had an experience with one breaking down on me or anything, but they just sound so... generic.

As for behringer, my momma said if you don't have anything nice to say... well, you get the idea.

The thunderbird is a great bass though. I absolutely loved mine and only sold it because I picked up a Lakland and didn't really need it anymore. Build up your neck/shoulder muscles though, the thing takes a nosedive when strapped up.
Thanks for the input, i've heard that if you place the neck strap-screw in a different hole it fixes the nosedive problem.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

JohnnySmitch posted:

You need help carrying anything heavy some time soon? No reason.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Pirateparty posted:

Thanks for the input, i've heard that if you place the neck strap-screw in a different hole it fixes the nosedive problem.

Yeah, most people re-mount it to one of the neckbolts.

ConanTheGnarbarian
Aug 25, 2005

You took my father's sword... ah!!!!!

JohnnySmitch posted:

yeah no poo poo. It took me a couple years to track down that hiwatt, its an all original 1979.

IPickKenGriffeyJr
Jun 20, 2007

I just blew an o-ring
Been playing bass for ~2 years, and in the next few weels i'll be picking up one of these:

Squier Vintage Modified Fretless

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

IPickKenGriffeyJr posted:

Been playing bass for ~2 years, and in the next few weels i'll be picking up one of these:

This thing surprised the hell out of me when I tried it. It has an ebonol fingerboard if I recall, which is a lot easier to get good playability and tone out of than a cheap rosewood or something.

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

warwick5s posted:

This thing surprised the hell out of me when I tried it. It has an ebonol fingerboard if I recall, which is a lot easier to get good playability and tone out of than a cheap rosewood or something.

Rosewood ain't cheap compadre, but ebonol is pretty nice for fingerboards too

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000

I heard that Squier's been getting better recently, and goddamn if that thing isn't sexy.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Alfa Tard posted:

Rosewood ain't cheap compadre, but ebonol is pretty nice for fingerboards too

I wasn't talking about it in general, but that the "rosewood" that normally comes on instruments in this price range certainly is.

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

warwick5s posted:

I wasn't talking about it in general, but that the "rosewood" that normally comes on instruments in this price range certainly is.

True enough. I wonder why that is? Ever try to price out a full rosewood neck at Warmoth.com? Big $$$.

belikeron
Mar 11, 2007
Let bombs explode, cause that's what they do

Alfa Tard posted:

True enough. I wonder why that is? Ever try to price out a full rosewood neck at Warmoth.com? Big $$$.

Right but aren't most of the cheaper guitars just rosewood topped, with most of the neck made out of a much cheaper wood?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Alfa Tard posted:

Rosewood, iirc, was cut to extinction in Brazil. There are still stocks out there, but the price isn't cheap, and I think other forms of rosewood grow in other countries but it still can't output the quantity that Brazil had until it was gone.

Chows posted:

Anyway, it looks like it's just missing one of the ground wires, eh? Should be a pretty easy fix and $12 is a hell of a deal.

That's what I thought... could be wrong though.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 4, 2007

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I'm getting a few new things. I'll post stock photos now, and when they get in I'll take some of my own pictures.

First, a new guitar - the Agile Ghost III Natural Mahogany Finish:

Some people don't like Rondo guitars, but I'm obviously not one of them. I've wanted an Explorer type for awhile, and I've wanted a 24-fret guitar for even longer, so when they lowered the price to 199 from 299 (presumably because the natural finish isn't selling as well as the black and white ones) I jumped on it. However, I'm not a big fan of Agile's electronics, so I got a new set of pots, etc., and some new pickups:

Guitarfetish.com Crunchy Rails and Dream 180. I've never used either of these, but I have a pretty specific idea of what I want this guitar to do, and I'm pretty sure (after reviewing the specs) that I'll get what I want out of them. If not, I'm sure the legendary customer service folks at GFS will take care of me for a swap-out. I wanted the neck pickup to be jazzy and laid back when you roll the tone off, and the bridge to be crushingly heavy and even a little bit ice-picky.

Crunchy Rails:

Dream 180:

And finally, I'm getting a new amp. I went into a lot of detail about this one in a post in the Rondomusic appreciation thread. Basically, I had saved up around 800-1000 bucks for a new amp, and went to the music store prepared to spend that much on a high-gain capable tube combo. I ended up being blown away by, of all things, the Randall RG100 G3. It's a hybrid amp using Randall's solid-state preamp and a tube-integrated power amp (sort of like Vox's Valve Reactor technology, but differently implemented). It had a great feel to it, and the sound was just awesome. Very unique distortion options, but still quite versatile for those times when you want to play a cover and have it sound like the real thing. If you want to see my full opinion on it, go to the rondo thread. Here's a pic (I personally love the understated look of it - no nonsense, just all amp):

I actually ended up only having to pay $1.70 and shipping on that amp after trade-in. It was a tough choice between the 200w version and the 100w version, but frankly the 100w is already louder than God if God yelled and with an extension cab it will get as loud as I could ever conceivably want it to be and if I play somewhere that 200W might get put to full use I'll likely be mic'd and running through the PAs anyway.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

belikeron posted:

Right but aren't most of the cheaper guitars just rosewood topped, with most of the neck made out of a much cheaper wood?
Most guitars - not just the "cheaper" ones - have either a rosewood or ebony or maple (or whatever) fretboard over a mahogany or maple (or whatever) neck. A full rosweood neck like Alfa Tard mentioned is really pricey, for the reasons pointed out by Handen. Fender maple necks are sometimes cut from a single piece, since maple isn't very rare or expensive.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?

CIJ Fender Jaguar HH Special. Pretty much the only Jaguar that I find aesthetically appealing. Thank god that it sounds gorgeous and thank god for the short scale.

It's tough to see, but it's a black pickguard with all chrome hardware.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

shemaghs are so gay its like smegma hahaha

Agreed posted:

The logo symbol thing on it looks like a dildo.

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

Uncle Caveman posted:

Fender maple necks are sometimes cut from a single piece, since maple isn't very rare or expensive.

Now to find out why Fender uses 3 to 7 pieces for their bodies now. I'd be afraid to strip anything with a solid color finish!

Wobegon
Jan 13, 2007

by The Finn

I just want to encourage you. This thing is bloody brilliant. For <$300 its an absolute steal. When I played it at GC I could have sworn I was playing a goddamn $1200 J.P. model.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I'm sick of trying to get search to work for me, which sucks because I'm positive I heard mention of this thing before:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Valve-Jr.-HalfStack?sku=481475

Any opinions, I'd love to hear something within the next eight to ten hours before I rush over to Guitar Center and start bothering sales people. Or before I blindly buy online.

I'm stupid.

EDIT: I'm looking specifically at volume*, reliability. There's not much to ask about with an amp that has just a volume dial.

* I previously owned a Line 6 Spider III 15 that thinned out dramatically at rehearsal volumes. I'm not buying this specifically FOR rehearsing with a live drummer, but having the option to do so without damaging anything would be a plus, not that I would be surprised with a "hell no, what were you thinking it's 5w foo." If anything, I can even tell him to gently caress off for a month or two while I find something else, or half-rear end the Epiphone's cabinet to my Laney 50w head.

Revvik fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Oct 5, 2007

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

Revvik posted:

I'm sick of trying to get search to work for me, which sucks because I'm positive I heard mention of this thing before:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Valve-Jr.-HalfStack?sku=481475

Any opinions, I'd love to hear something within the next eight to ten hours before I rush over to Guitar Center and start bothering sales people. Or before I blindly buy online.

I'm stupid.

I've been dying to try one of these too, please tell me as much as you can after trying it.

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

Revvik posted:

Valve Junior Half-Stack

This thing can get louder than you'd probably think, but it might still struggle to keep up with a drummer and certainly couldn't do it with a clean tone. That said, I really love mine. The voicing is very classic rock and it sounds great to my ears at any volume; the extension cab is a very nice match for the amp's voicing. It starts to get real crunchy when you turn it up past about 12 o'clock.

The setup feels fairly solid. It's definitely sturdy enough for bedroom playing and practice, but I don't know that I would trust it for gigging.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Alfa Tard posted:

Now to find out why Fender uses 3 to 7 pieces for their bodies now. I'd be afraid to strip anything with a solid color finish!
The usual reason, cost - not that a slab-body electric will sound much different with a two-piece body versus 5 or 6. A one-piece neck is pretty easy to make from a plank of maple; a one-piece body requires a much bigger tree... I don't think I've ever seen one in production, just from custom shops like Warmoth. Two-piece bodies are the norm that I've seen, with 3+ more common on solid finishes. Hell, a natural-finished Gibson tends to be something like $500 higher since it needs a prettier chunk of wood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.
Finally picked up one of the TS9 series. The DXs are supposed to have a bit higher gain in the low end, which (considering the register of my e-mandos), is perfect for me. Sorry for the stock photo. I got mine used and it's not arrived yet.

I may go with some mods at some point, but I'm going to try with nothing but stock to start. I'm mostly after the smooth boost over heavy crunch, anyway, and these are apparently terrific for that.