Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

ZorbaTHut posted:

I just want to know, why's that dude so happy?
Because now he knows that there is an afterlife. As Terry Pratchett puts it, the horror of looking at your own dead body is somewhat mitigated by the fact that there is a "you" to do the looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
For anyone actually keeping up with Erfworld, I officially believe that the new strip has turned Bogroll from the most hilarious and adorable character to the most terrifying one in a single panel.

Admittedly, it could still turn out hilarious. But right now it has a definite "it puts the lotion in the basket" vibe. Which I hope is what he was going for with that.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

Quarex posted:

For anyone actually keeping up with Erfworld, I officially believe that the new strip has turned Bogroll from the most hilarious and adorable character to the most terrifying one in a single panel.

Admittedly, it could still turn out hilarious. But right now it has a definite "it puts the lotion in the basket" vibe. Which I hope is what he was going for with that.

Well, we _was_ told to go to bed and pretend he was hamster and get some sleep.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.

ZorbaTHut posted:

I just noticed that there's one guy in this entire picture who's smiling. My objection isn't with the hordes of unhappy dead people - I just want to know, why's that dude so happy?

"I only made one payment on this armor! Score!"

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

gothfae posted:

Well, we _was_ told to go to bed and pretend he was hamster and get some sleep.

...and yet, I remain utterly horrified.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So, is Burlew dead now or what? I mean, it's been now almost a week and no comic, no blurb on the front page, nothing on the forums (oh god how do I hate his forums).
What gives?

Reacean
Nov 29, 2004

With as many health problems as he apparently has there's no telling what's going on, but at least we got some new comics last week.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Calaveron posted:

So, is Burlew dead now or what? I mean, it's been now almost a week and no comic, no blurb on the front page, nothing on the forums (oh god how do I hate his forums).
What gives?

If this is true it becomes your fault.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American

Ashcans posted:

If this is true it becomes your fault.

Seconded. Gentlemen, we have a scapegoat.

TJO
Aug 14, 2006

I had a funny feeling in my gut.
Ugh, I saw 4 new replies and thought a strip must have been posted.
I need my fix.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
Sheesh. I just got finished with waiting a month for LOGH episodes, and now I'm getting right back in the same situation. It'll be different, this time, I swear! I just have to stop walking into so many doors.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Today I re-installed Icewind Dale II and made The Order of the Stick as my mercenary company to save Targos. Varsuvious was the only one hard to try to make (and I made him/her a her so i wouldn't run out of voices) since the portrait colors are a tad muted. Then again, I could have made custom portraits. Belkar's voice even says "Welp, looks like I'll have to go on a killing spree." Only thing off, other than the game world, is the rules set is 3.0 instead of 3.5. Defending Targos from the goblin horde was a fun little version of the invasion of Azure City. But, it's really fun to imagine the characters in a different setting. ... oh god, this doesn't count as evolved fanfic, does it?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
I'm guesing this is the same thing that kept him from updating earlier. Probably he was able do draw the first few strips of this arc during the hiatus, but has run out now.

Volga Boatman
Sep 22, 2006

By striving to do the impossible, man has always achieved what is possible

terminal mehmet posted:

Today I re-installed Icewind Dale II and made The Order of the Stick as my mercenary company to save Targos. Varsuvious was the only one hard to try to make (and I made him/her a her so i wouldn't run out of voices) since the portrait colors are a tad muted. Then again, I could have made custom portraits. Belkar's voice even says "Welp, looks like I'll have to go on a killing spree." Only thing off, other than the game world, is the rules set is 3.0 instead of 3.5. Defending Targos from the goblin horde was a fun little version of the invasion of Azure City. But, it's really fun to imagine the characters in a different setting. ... oh god, this doesn't count as evolved fanfic, does it?
You should get Undead Targos mod too, I think the goblin who keeps rising the hordes you've killed to fight again as skeletons even has a red cloak.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

terminal mehmet posted:

Is the game world really 3.5? If so why doesn't Belkar have an animal companion. He's the only one that confuses me, cause rangers got crazy buffed in 3.5.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hmm, it could just be like Vaars familiar and they always forget about it.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Red_Mage posted:

Is the game world really 3.5? If so why doesn't Belkar have an animal companion. He's the only one that confuses me, cause rangers got crazy buffed in 3.5.

I'm betting he ate it.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Not like you'd get a better use out of a ranger's companion.

plastickiwi
Dec 19, 2001

Tickled purple
Given that Belkar didn't know he had the Tracking feat until Roy told him, I don't think he's looked too carefully at any class feature that doesn't involve increasing his damage output.

The official D&D boards at Wizards of the Coast's site are in a frenzy about the announcement of 4th Edition. One of the threads there is a nerd-ragefest (to which I contributed, I confess) about whether halflings should be hairy-footed 1st/2nd Ed. hobbits or slender, elflike 3rd Ed. kender.

The thread pretty much derailed after someone posted the panel of Belkar, hairy feet atop a pile of dead goblinoids, shouting "I AM A SEXY SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!"

I'd like that on a t-shirt.

Twerpling
Oct 12, 2005
The Funambulist

Red_Mage posted:

It is in the first comic I believe. Maybe if I knew more about dungeons and dragons this would make a lick of sense.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Red_Mage posted:

No, it's 3.0, like I said. :) 3.5 would be nice but the Belkar character actually kicks a surprising amount of rear end. Honestly, the whole teams kicks more rear end than I expected.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Now I need a drink. Not this one. Another one. And in a different place.

SuperKlaus posted:

Not like you'd get a better use out of a ranger's companion.

I'm running an epic level game. The Ranger's companion is an HD-advanced Giant Owl. It has a higher strength than anyone else in the party.

And talks in a Brooklyn accent. His name is something fruity to the ranger, but to the rest of the party, he's Hoot.

I love DMing.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Kahrytes posted:

I'm running an epic level game. The Ranger's companion is an HD-advanced Giant Owl. It has a higher strength than anyone else in the party.

And talks in a Brooklyn accent. His name is something fruity to the ranger, but to the rest of the party, he's Hoot.

I love DMing.

Out of curiosity, are you at the point where the owl could reasonably solo a Great Wyrm?

kethryveris
Aug 18, 2006

Wait! I wasn't yelling at you.
I was yelling at the duck.
New OotS is up! :woop:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
He should really think about pacing these a little slower, so he can do the same amount of comic spread over two or three days. Plus they wouldn't be so text-heavy that way.

But it is a fine update, nonetheless.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
No! Roy! Come back to us Roy! Don't go into the light!

THERE'S AN ARROW IN YOUR CROTCH!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
That would be pretty hilarious if Roy just left the comic for good after today's strip, and was never mentioned again. It would be so META, like the guy "playing Roy" wanted too much money!

(Also, was the random abrupt King Lear's Fool insertion in Erfworld anything other than some kind of confusing one-off joke? It has to be, right? He is pretty good at continuity, so clearly I missed something.)

Sock
Oct 8, 2001
Do me. Do me.

The Werle posted:

I thought he can still come back, it's just where he waits in the afterlife.

Quarex posted:

(Also, was the random abrupt King Lear's Fool insertion in Erfworld anything other than some kind of confusing one-off joke? It has to be, right? He is pretty good at continuity, so clearly I missed something.)

That guy is one of the *Mancer things that Lord Stanley has. Also it's sad to see in the forum for Erfworld people posting "What's that guy saying?"

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb

Fuego Fish posted:

He should really think about pacing these a little slower, so he can do the same amount of comic spread over two or three days. Plus they wouldn't be so text-heavy that way.

But it is a fine update, nonetheless.

I think he might have given us this big one like this because he had been sick for awhile, maybe he had these mostly ready, and couldn't get them finished up until now, so he posted a big one.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Sock posted:

That guy is one of the *Mancer things that Lord Stanley has. Also it's sad to see in the forum for Erfworld people posting "What's that guy saying?"

Oh, right. That makes perfect sense. Particularly with the three of them being mentally drained and malformed from their link.

It also makes perfect sense that no-one knows what he is saying, but that is still too bad. I was pleased enough that I recognized the quote, but King Lear has always been my favorite Shakespeare fanfic.

Vorxnyx
Sep 4, 2002

they told me how to make this implant
they said it would make a better me of me

The Werle posted:

If he goes into the light, then he's given up on enforcing the Blood Oath, hasn't he :v:

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
How bad of a father would you need to be to be ANGRY that your son got into heaven, not only because he was a better person than you, but also DESPITE your jackassery when you were alive?

Answer: About as bad as Eugene Greenhilt.

Pupienus
Jul 21, 2003

NutShellBill posted:

How bad of a father would you need to be to be ANGRY that your son got into heaven, not only because he was a better person than you, but also DESPITE your jackassery when you were alive?

Answer: About as bad as Eugene Greenhilt.

Well to be fair, it basically means his term in purgatory-lite has been extended from "a few more years probably" to "forever probably" as Julia isn't going to make much of an effort to avenge him if she know's it's not really necessary.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Edit: Misread the post.

Well I might as well keep the rest of it. In the first OOTS comic, I'm still not sure why the Belkar's weapons shrink.

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 8, 2007

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

RentACop posted:

Edit: Misread the post.

Well I might as well keep the rest of it. In the first OOTS comic, I'm still not sure why the Belkar's weapons shrink.

Okay in 3.0 a halfling could use regular sized wweapons. IN 3.5 they had to use small weapons for their small hands. Humans used Medium sized weapons and orges used Large sized weapons.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Is there a reason why Lawful neutral heaven is being considered worse then Lawful Good heaven?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Lawful Neutral heaven is Mechanus, while Lawful Good heaven is Celestia.

kethryveris
Aug 18, 2006

Wait! I wasn't yelling at you.
I was yelling at the duck.

BexGu posted:

Is there a reason why Lawful neutral heaven is being considered worse then Lawful Good heaven?

Actually, they were considering sending him over to whatever Rich's version of the Neutral Good afterlife, Elysium, is.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Piell posted:

Lawful Neutral heaven is Mechanus

Mechanus sounds like the most horrifying area in the entire universe. Sheesh. I don't even mind the Evil "heavens" as much as Mechanus.

It does bring up an interesting idea that I hadn't thought of before: to determine a character's alignment, figure out which heaven sounds most appealing to him, and that's his alignment. By that metric I think I'm Chaotic Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't know, I'm betting lots of evil jerks would like to exist in a world were everything is eternally beautiful and perfect. And I doubt anyone wants to go to any of the hells.