Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Capitan Dad posted:

The logo symbol thing on it looks like a dildo.

Dildawesome I think is the term you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Walter posted:

Finally picked up one of the TS9 series. The DXs are supposed to have a bit higher gain in the low end, which (considering the register of my e-mandos), is perfect for me. Sorry for the stock photo. I got mine used and it's not arrived yet.

I may go with some mods at some point, but I'm going to try with nothing but stock to start. I'm mostly after the smooth boost over heavy crunch, anyway, and these are apparently terrific for that.

I've played around with the turbo before and it's a solid pedal. A lot of people recommend it for bass-overdrive as well.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

My buddy and I split them for $400 total. Not a bad deal. Luckily, we have no idea how to make music with them.

Aeon_
Jan 6, 2002

See you, space cowboy.

Susano-maku da! posted:

CIJ Fender Jaguar HH Special. Pretty much the only Jaguar that I find aesthetically appealing. Thank god that it sounds gorgeous and thank god for the short scale.

It's tough to see, but it's a black pickguard with all chrome hardware.

good choice there

I have one, except in blue with a SD jazz in the neck and a JB in the bridge.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Engine Fortegue posted:

I've been dying to try one of these too, please tell me as much as you can after trying it.

Sorry it took so long, been busy loving my new amp all day.
It's difficult for me to really describe it - the tubes involved are a 12AX7A and EL84? It has a single volume dial which happens to overdrive the amp? The overdrive is money, shame I'll need to tote it to a friends house because I am NEVER hearing that in my apartment.

Chows posted:

This thing can get louder than you'd probably think, but it might still struggle to keep up with a drummer and certainly couldn't do it with a clean tone. That said, I really love mine. The voicing is very classic rock and it sounds great to my ears at any volume; the extension cab is a very nice match for the amp's voicing. It starts to get real crunchy when you turn it up past about 12 o'clock.

The setup feels fairly solid. It's definitely sturdy enough for bedroom playing and practice, but I don't know that I would trust it for gigging.

Bedroom playing and practice? Maybe if you live with your parents and they've left town. I could definitely practice with a drummer with this thing, clean maybe-maybe-not, dirty definitely. One thing I can't do is play it in my apartment on anything higher than "practically off."

I think it sounds great - I tested it in the store with a beat to hell MIM Telecaster and after that I wanted to buy the Tele too.

Revvik fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Oct 6, 2007

Mugendai
Oct 23, 2002

You realize, of
course, that that
will not kill him

Susano-maku da! posted:

CIJ Fender Jaguar HH Special. Pretty much the only Jaguar that I find aesthetically appealing. Thank god that it sounds gorgeous and thank god for the short scale.

It's tough to see, but it's a black pickguard with all chrome hardware.

Oooh that looks like a fine piece of short scale goodness.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?

Mugendai posted:

Oooh that looks like a fine piece of short scale goodness.

Yeah I found that because of my terrible joint and wrist problems that I unfortunately can't play anything Les Paul sized and longer.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Revvik posted:

Sorry it took so long, been busy loving my new amp all day.
It's difficult for me to really describe it - the tubes involved are a 12AX7A and EL84? It has a single volume dial which happens to overdrive the amp? The overdrive is money, shame I'll need to tote it to a friends house because I am NEVER hearing that in my apartment.

Does it have an external connection between the amp and the speaker? If so you could get an attenuator.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

mofolotopo posted:

Does it have an external connection between the amp and the speaker? If so you could get an attenuator.

yeah, so I may, if we don't buy a house here within the next couple months.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Revvik posted:

yeah, so I may, if we don't buy a house here within the next couple months.

If you want to go cheap, Weber makes an attentuator called the Minimass. I have one, and it's pretty cool. No bells and whistles, but I don't need them. $75 or $100 depending on how powerful your amp is.

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

Revvik posted:

Bedroom playing and practice? Maybe if you live with your parents and they've left town. I could definitely practice with a drummer with this thing, clean maybe-maybe-not, dirty definitely. One thing I can't do is play it in my apartment on anything higher than "practically off."

Heh, fair enough. All the drummers I know seem to have awfully heavy hands, so I'm probably overestimating the volume requirement. Good to hear you like the amp, it's really incredible value for money.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Just walked home with this one yesterday. I haven't had a guitar since my former bandmate stole my Telecaster. I knew I couldn't get anything other than a Fender after owning that one, and I figured I might as well go all the way this time.

God drat does it sound good, and I can get any sound I want out of it too. I couldn't be happier.

Go well together, don't you think?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Synonamess Botch posted:

Just walked home with this one yesterday. I haven't had a guitar since my former bandmate stole my Telecaster. I knew I couldn't get anything other than a Fender after owning that one, and I figured I might as well go all the way this time.

Well I'm jealous. I was considering trading my CIJ Jag for an AVRI after playing one at the Virgin guitar shop in London, the mute is soooo awesome. :(

triteon
Feb 20, 2005

Handen posted:

Well I'm jealous. I was considering trading my CIJ Jag for an AVRI after playing one at the Virgin guitar shop in London, the mute is soooo awesome. :(

I find the mute to be a big waste of time. It makes it sound out of tune.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

triteon posted:

I find the mute to be a big waste of time. It makes it sound out of tune.

Mine exists solely for show. It's completely useless in my eyes. :)

Mugendai
Oct 23, 2002

You realize, of
course, that that
will not kill him

Susano-maku da! posted:

Yeah I found that because of my terrible joint and wrist problems that I unfortunately can't play anything Les Paul sized and longer.

The Jag and Jazzmaster are pretty much the only guitars that I really can find myself really needing because I really love the feel. I'm pretty much planning on not taking my guitar with me next time I go to Japan and just grabbing a CIJ HH Jag or Jazzmaster to go with my vintage repro Jag. I just wish fender Japan actually used real Jazzmaster pickups on the CIJs :(

Synonamess Botch posted:

God drat does it sound good, and I can get any sound I want out of it too. I couldn't be happier.

I was really glad to find a used one up here since the only fender shop up here charges straight retail pretty much for any MIA stuff since they have no competition on that unless you want to drive a few hours. Save a lot of money on that find. I'm pretty in love with that body design since it's the only electric I've played that isn't heavier than I want, but is still comfortable to play sitting down when I want to do that. Plus mine the lyrics to Hurt printed out and folded up in the accessories compartment which was a really odd thing to find in there.

Mugendai fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 7, 2007

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

shemaghs are so gay its like smegma hahaha

Amp and DS-1.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
eBay kicks rear end.

Seymour Duncan SH-3 Stag Mag - $47

Unknown 80's Dimarzio Chrome Strat pickup - $30

The Stag Mag is going in the bridge of my Squier '51 and the Dimarzio is going in the neck. I don't like how the '07 USA Fender Strat neck pickup sounds in there so I thought I'd go for some sort of hotrails, but a chrome dimarzio pickup for only $30 is too great of a deal to pass up.

Also, is this the right kind of concentric stack pot I'll need to get volume/tone controls? There aren't any ridges on the posts which makes it hard for me to imagine how the knobs fit and stay on...

Basically I wanna take out the stock controls in my Squier (A push/pull for coiltap and volume and a rotary switch for pickup selection) and add the stack pot for volume/tone control, add a three-way Gibson style switch for pickup selection, a two way switch for coil-tap and another two way switch for phase switch. That way, I can control which of the coils in the stag mag will be active when I tap it.

But I don't know poo poo all about how to wire these knobs and switches. Is there a resource online or at a bookstore that teaches me what the different connections of a potentiometer and the various switches do?

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

Handen posted:

Also, is this the right kind of concentric stack pot I'll need to get volume/tone controls? There aren't any ridges on the posts which makes it hard for me to imagine how the knobs fit and stay on...
They use set screws rather than the more common ridged shaft design. That pot looks like it ought to do fine. Make sure it's audio taper or your volume control will feel wonky.

Handen posted:

But I don't know poo poo all about how to wire these knobs and switches. Is there a resource online or at a bookstore that teaches me what the different connections of a potentiometer and the various switches do?
Here is a nice, simple explanation of how volume and tone controls work, and here is one with some good information on switches. Seymour Duncan has a lot of wiring diagrams for various configurations, but they don't explain WHY they work.

Read up a little and if you still need some help I'm sure we'll be glad to assist.

edit:

Handen posted:

and another two way switch for phase switch. That way, I can control which of the coils in the stag mag will be active when I tap it.
Just a note, that's not what a phase switch does. More importantly, one coil of a humbucker is going to sound nearly identical to the coil immediately next to it. I've got a guitar with a humbucker running through a 3-way switch (front coil solo, both coils in parallel, or rear coil solo) just because I had nothing better to do with it, and I really don't think there's any point.

I'd suggest just wiring a simple coil cut to leave the one that will cancel noise with the neck pickup, or wiring in a series/parallel switch for the humbucker. Putting the coils in parallel has a similar effect to the 2 and 4 positions on a Strat, but since the coils are so close together the phasing effects are much, much less extreme than on a Strat so you're still close to a normal single coil sound with noise cancelling.

Chows fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 8, 2007

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Chows posted:

They use set screws rather than the more common ridged shaft design. That pot looks like it ought to do fine. Make sure it's audio taper or your volume control will feel wonky.

Here is a nice, simple explanation of how volume and tone controls work, and here is one with some good information on switches. Seymour Duncan has a lot of wiring diagrams for various configurations, but they don't explain WHY they work.

Read up a little and if you still need some help I'm sure we'll be glad to assist.

Awesome, thanks! :D

Idiot Wind
Sep 10, 2007

We hope anyone sees you again...

PoorPeteBest posted:

A little something I picked up so my daughter and I can jam:

I got one of these a few months ago, and they're not bad. The frets are a little rough in spots, but I just love the tone a ukulele has, and these don't disappoint.

:rock:

logistik
Sep 11, 2001

I'll give you a TKO from Tokyo!
I am thinking about liquidating my excess guitars that I don't use as much as I should and buying a Gibson Faded SG Special Electric Guitar. Anyone want to talk me into and or out of it?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Faded-SG-Special-Electric-Guitar?sku=517222

FreakingNeo
Jun 25, 2003

Night Rhythms
I was greeted by this when I came home today;
a Tascam Portastudio 02 MKII. my first step into home recording, i like the DIY low-fi idea

Only registered members can see post attachments!

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Handen posted:

So instead, I bought this.

<<Click Picture for Details>>

Well, this came in the mail today. 15 minutes later my amp blew up, a vintage late 60's/early 70's Ampeg VT-22 with all original tubes. Man am I ever pissed. I might have to sell the pedal in order to replace whatever's broken! :argh:

Lose/lose situation? Yes. The pedal didn't really even sound too great.

edited for wordliness. :eng101:

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 11, 2007

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!
What happened? Did the pedal cause this?

Groan Zone
Nov 21, 2004

chug-a-lug, donna

FreakingNeo posted:

I was greeted by this when I came home today;
a Tascam Portastudio 02 MKII. my first step into home recording, i like the DIY low-fi idea

I just got that too actually. I'm loving it.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Dr. Klas posted:

What happened? Did the pedal cause this?

I think it had something to do with the amount of low-frequency oscillation I'd set the pedal too, combined with the fact that I had it turned up loud enough to vibrate books off my shelf, I'm thinking the tubes couldn't handle the high-energy pulsations or something to that effect.

Now that I think about it, I remember playing guitar with the lights off one day and noticing how the wall behind the amp grew brighter with every hard, chunky, sustained note or chord. I'm thinking the pedal pushed the tubes to their breaking point. :\

WET BUTT
Mar 11, 2005

Tascam Portastudio 424 mkIII used for 80 bucks. It's really suprisingly easy to use and sounds great with bands. It's also massive. Like way bigger than in that person's picture.

And this

WET BUTT fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 11, 2007

juan chaos
Sep 3, 2006
Let It Die

WET BUTT posted:

Tascam Portastudio 424 mkIII used for 80 bucks. It's really suprisingly easy to use and sounds great with bands. It's also massive. Like way bigger than in that person's picture.

drat. For 80 bucks that's a great deal. I used to use Tascams a lot when bands asked me to record their jams. Very easy to set up quickly and just hit record.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Not mine, but our guitarist just bought a Fender DeVille 4x10. Most astounding is how much difference there is in the sound of his Tube Screamer through this amp as opposed to his solid state amp.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

3toes posted:

Not mine, but our guitarist just bought a Fender DeVille 4x10. Most astounding is how much difference there is in the sound of his Tube Screamer through this amp as opposed to his solid state amp.

You seriously can't even comprehend how incredibly loud this amp is; my buddy has one and say's he's never turned it over "3"

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

3? Jesus christ, I can barely get to 1 without my roommate bitching.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

pennywisdom posted:

3? Jesus christ, I can barely get to 1 without my roommate bitching.

3 for venues, I can't imagine getting anywhere near that in living quarters situation

edit: But yeah, to sum up that poo poo is loud as hell and also 3toes why don't you post in da=yobz anymore?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Engine Fortegue posted:

3 for venues, I can't imagine getting anywhere near that in living quarters situation

edit: But yeah, to sum up that poo poo is loud as hell and also 3toes why don't you post in da=yobz anymore?

Dude I've probably had 50 posts in byob today alone.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

3toes posted:

Dude I've probably had 50 posts in byob today alone.

i'm reading the wrong threads then i guess.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I had a crazy idea at work today so I bought the parts to another Squier '51 on eBay.

First I just wanted a new neck for my Fender Telecaster, and knew that a Squier '51 neck is the best deal, and I found this awesome figured maple neck for like $80. Can't go wrong there.

I'll probably put it on the blonde '51 I have now, and put the neck on my blonde one onto this body I also purchased.

Now I can finally split up the multitude of ideas I'd had for my Blonde '51 into this one.

But now I'm back where I started, shopping for a new neck for my Tele. And I don't even want to think about how much it's going to cost to repair my amp yet. What the hell is wrong with me?

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Oct 13, 2007

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

Engine Fortegue posted:

You seriously can't even comprehend how incredibly loud this amp is; my buddy has one and say's he's never turned it over "3"

I used to play in a free-improv group with another guitarist who used this amp. To this day it remains the primary reason why I have tinnitus.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

3toes posted:

Funny this should come up today...

I had been watching an auction on eBay for a Lovetone Meatball:

Last day, no bids, $450, buy it now at $499. I put my bid in and a maximum of $465. It was quiet until literally the last minute. Some douche comes in and tries to take it over. $475, 490, 500, 525... He takes it at $525. I literally was about to message him and call him a human being.

So with my head hung low in defeat, I bought an Electro-Harmonix Mini Q-Tron. Essentially the same thing but much cheaper and not quite as awesome.

You should have pulled the trigger on the Meatball for $499. I have a Lovetone Ring Stinger (ring modulator) and it's easily the best pedal in my rather expansive collection. Plus I paid $450 for it years ago and it's now worth twice that.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

Argali posted:

I used to play in a free-improv group with another guitarist who used this amp. To this day it remains the primary reason why I have tinnitus.

So, in conclusion, 3toes get some earplugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

I had a little Gold Tone Plucky mini-banjo, but the tuners were iffy, intonation was a little weird, and I don't like frets on a banjo. I do like the size though, 19" scale tuned to C (a 4th higher than the standard G banjo).

I emailed Eric Prust and asked if he could work up an travel-sized oldskool fretless banjo for me. Maybe four days later he emails me and says "here ya go". He cut me an amazing deal on, since the rim/head are off a scrapped banjo-mandolin, so his material costs were really low. To hint: his basic all-handmade primitive banjos start at $200, and this one was notably less.

I'm really stoked, though I won't be able to play it until I get back from Afghanistan in Fall '08. Fortunately, Eric really likes this one, and has no problem hanging on to it for the next year or so.

Not the usual entry for this thread, but I thought some contrast would be good.

Oh, and I'm not old, I'm in my 20s. I just like oldskool poo poo.