Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

everyone whose been in a 5 block radius of the Hot Rod posted:

JESUS loving CHRIST MY EARS!

I heard part of the reason it's so drat loud is that Fender used a Linear pot for the master volume instead of an audio, so all of the wattage is from 1-5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCOTT SMAGO
Aug 10, 2003
I haven't bought anything new in years AND YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS. Oh yes, I've made plans.

First up is this:

It's the General Guitar Gadgets Shin-ei Companion Fuzz kit. I've wanted a Companion ever since I first heard Psychocandy and I don't want to pay $400 to get one (thanks Radiohead).

And since my U2 reissue is dying a slow and painful death, I'm going to replace it with this:

You should know what that is. If you don't, shame on you.

I'm one of those people that thinks that the stuff that 99% of guitarists think sounds horrible sounds great. In a perfect world, I'd also be buying a Silvertone 1485 but alas, this is not a perfect world.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I had a little Gold Tone Plucky mini-banjo, but the tuners were iffy, intonation was a little weird, and I don't like frets on a banjo. I do like the size though, 19" scale tuned to C (a 4th higher than the standard G banjo).

I emailed Eric Prust and asked if he could work up an travel-sized oldskool fretless banjo for me. Maybe four days later he emails me and says "here ya go". He cut me an amazing deal on, since the rim/head are off a scrapped banjo-mandolin, so his material costs were really low. To hint: his basic all-handmade primitive banjos start at $200, and this one was notably less.

I'm really stoked, though I won't be able to play it until I get back from Afghanistan in Fall '08. Fortunately, Eric really likes this one, and has no problem hanging on to it for the next year or so.

Not the usual entry for this thread, but I thought some contrast would be good.

Oh, and I'm not old, I'm in my 20s. I just like oldskool poo poo.

I'll keep it warm for you while you're gone. :haw:

Street Spirit
May 20, 2001

Well. I went to guitar center today to pick up a pair of cheap monitors. I found some m-audio studio pro 3's that were returned and got a good deal. So I come home and open up to box and find: the monitors, a fast track audio interface, some m-audio condenser mic with stand, pro tools m-powered, and a ton of good cables. WTF... not bad for $80.

Also, I bought this a few days ago:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000

Street Spirit posted:

So I come home and open up to box and find: the monitors, a fast track audio interface, some m-audio condenser mic with stand, pro tools m-powered, and a ton of good cables. WTF... not bad for $80.

Gosh I hate you a lot right now

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

mofolotopo posted:

I'll keep it warm for you while you're gone. :haw:

Seriously, we need to form the TTFA & Mofolotopo Mutual Admiration Society. We're pretty much the only people that reply to each other's threads.

You're in Panama until January or whenever, anyway. PM me in January, maybe we can work something out.

Street Spirit
May 20, 2001

PenguinBob posted:

Gosh I hate you a lot right now
If it makes you feel any better, I forgot to list the 3 sample compilation cds in there as well.

I dunno... dumb luck I guess.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

I finally found a vintage CE-2 hidden away in the back of a pawn shop today!

(GIS photo)

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

Street Spirit posted:

Well. I went to guitar center today to pick up a pair of cheap monitors. I found some m-audio studio pro 3's that were returned and got a good deal. So I come home and open up to box and find: the monitors, a fast track audio interface, some m-audio condenser mic with stand, pro tools m-powered, and a ton of good cables. WTF... not bad for $80.

Also, I bought this a few days ago:

do those photoshop knobs work as well as real ones

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Seriously, we need to form the TTFA & Mofolotopo Mutual Admiration Society. We're pretty much the only people that reply to each other's threads.

Well maybe not the only people, but clearly we are the best people that reply to each other's threads. I was just kidding, though - I would be too scared to break your new toy. I am going to get a banjo one day, though, I swear.

My level of ignorance is such that I didn't actually know that fretless banjos existed. I'm gonna dig for some youtube clips.

Edit: Oh hey, neat

mofolotopo fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 14, 2007

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

mofolotopo posted:

My level of ignorance is such that I didn't actually know that fretless banjos existed. I'm gonna dig for some youtube clips.

Here's a cool one with "minstrel" banjo, which is often tuned even lower than the standard G banjo. Some guys got huge 14" rims on their minstrels.

If you want to get a feel for banjo without having to put up cash, just play some clawhammer on your ukulele.

Here's Aaron Keim, master of the clawhammer uke: http://youtube.com/watch?v=GCrnR9Yuqp4

This clip changed my life, I'm really trying hard on clawhammer uke now, and it comes along quick. You can do clawhammer on a standard-tuned uke, or you can drop the high string down on a step to get an Open C tuning.

If you drop the second string down 1/2 step, you get Open C minor tuning.

I'll go make some YouTube clips once I get the stroke down better. Aaron has a two-part tutorial on clawhammer ukulele up on YouTube. I should just go post a new NMD:ML thread just for that, because it's awesome.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

If you want to get a feel for banjo without having to put up cash, just play some clawhammer on your ukulele.

I've been doing exactly this for about a month, and am indeed getting better at it. My main issue is that my downstrokes seem awfully quiet. I've got these Kala Red faux-gut strings on it, though, which may be the culprit.

Street Spirit
May 20, 2001

Engine Fortegue posted:

do those photoshop knobs work as well as real ones

Yup. I'm pretty happy with it.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders
I picked this up impulsively yesterday after seeing it on Craigslist. It's a Magnus electric chord organ.

I'm not completely sure what I'll do with it yet but, my basic plan is to use the chord keys to lay down a backing for some ambient guitar stuff.

It's nifty enough.

edit: I guess I didn't attach an image, here http://img521.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img9013mh5.jpg

citizenlowell fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 15, 2007

CardinalBiggles
Jul 27, 2007
I've been on a bit of a gear binge lately. A couple weeks ago I went down to the ol' GC pusher and ordered a DW Collector's Maple kit with a birdseye maple finish layer in hard satin Burnt Toast Burst. Sizes: 14x12, 16x14, 18x16, and 26x14. Sadly, It won't be finished until the end of January.
It should look something like this, only not.

Also on the way:
Paiste Giant Beat cymbals (15" hats, 18 & 20" crash, 24" ride)

Presonus Firestudio

4 SM57's
Blue Baby Bottle (for vocals)
random Shure drum mic kit
a bunch of those kiwi XLR cables
and a poo poo-ton o mic boom stands

Hopefully all I'll need to get a decent home studio started.

Ninja edit: Added a few pics

CardinalBiggles fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 15, 2007

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

citizenlowell posted:

I picked this up impulsively yesterday after seeing it on Craigslist. It's a Magnus electric chord organ.

I'm not completely sure what I'll do with it yet but, my basic plan is to use the chord keys to lay down a backing for some ambient guitar stuff.

It's nifty enough.

edit: I guess I didn't attach an image, here http://fi.somethingawful.com/is/my.php?image=img9013mh5.jpg

I used to have one very much like that. They can be a lot of fun, but the silly thing is that since they run on air blowing over reeds they get quieter the more simultaneous notes you play. Requires a bit of forethought to use them in a band situation.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

Street Spirit posted:

Yup. I'm pretty happy with it.

I was just kidding, and am also jealous :3:

Luxowell
Mar 2, 2007

Engine Fortegue posted:

You seriously can't even comprehend how incredibly loud this amp is; my buddy has one and say's he's never turned it over "3"

No poo poo!
One of the guitarists in my band has one, and we're constantly telling him to turn down!

We finally gave up and just all started turning way up to match.

It's a matter of time until the neighbors tell us to knock it off or his girlfriend loses her mind from the muddled mess of noise coming from the basement.

Syrus
Nov 9, 2005
Peter Pan
It's a marketting scheme Fender has. They put almost all the volume in the first couple notches of the knob so no one ever needs to turn it past three, but if you ever do you'll find that 4-6 sound about the same and that you don't push much more volume at all. If you're into invalidating your warranty you can take out the volume pot for a taperred audio pot instead of the localized one they have now.

I love my deluxe, but that seriously annoys the crap out of me because the clean is always to low, and then you turn it a hair and it's way to loud. It sounds amazing though.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Syrus posted:

It's a marketting scheme Fender has. They put almost all the volume in the first couple notches of the knob so no one ever needs to turn it past three, but if you ever do you'll find that 4-6 sound about the same and that you don't push much more volume at all. If you're into invalidating your warranty you can take out the volume pot for a taperred audio pot instead of the localized one they have now.

I love my deluxe, but that seriously annoys the crap out of me because the clean is always to low, and then you turn it a hair and it's way to loud. It sounds amazing though.

You know, my Peavey Classic 50 is the same way. It's pretty much a Fender clone, so I wonder if they copied even that.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004
It's a clock radio!

Wait, it's a DX7 inside a clock radio, even better.

a loathsome bird fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 17, 2007

Supervillin
Feb 6, 2005

Pillbug

Ortazel posted:

It's a clock radio!

Wait, it's a DX7 inside a clock radio, even better.

Awesome synth. And it looks like an electric grill or something up top.

Coming soon from a paycheck near me:
Squier '51
Chrome hardtail bridge from Guitarfetish
GFS Lipstick pickup for the neck
Graphite nut
One happy Supervillin

Edit: gently caress waiting for a paycheck, I just pulled the trigger on an eBay '51 with a rosewood fingerboard. Will be posting pics when it arrives.

Supervillin fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 18, 2007

Lobster Johnson
Sep 23, 2004

jealous of the flies and the worms inside me
yay new stuff

This was an awesome find. It's a Parker P-36, one of the Korean made models. What's unusual about it is that it's custom - the guy who sold it to me originally had Parker's Australian distributor organise one built to his specs. He gave the distributor his specs - black finish, perloid guard, Duncan Vintage Tele and Duncan Lil' 59 pickups - and they built it in Korean factory, shipped it to the US factory for inspection & setup, then shipped it over here. As far as I've been able to find, Parker don't accept custom orders for their Korean line - maybe the distributors are the loophole :confused:

I got it for cheap as a very impulsive ebay purchase and it's totally blown my expectations away. The fit & finish are perfect, the neck & action are fast and sweet, the pickups are very well balanced and the "acoustic" piezo bridge is quite cool, especially when blended into the twangy tele neck pickup. I adore the look of it - it's like a mongrel tele / modern art piece. The most classic guitar design cut up and glued onto one of the most distinctive modern bodies. So cool.

Electro-Harmonix Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai! This one has been picking up some hype at harmony-central and thegearpage, so I grabbed one from a store offering a 30 day trial. I ain't giving it back.

There's also a Moogerfooger delay in the mail - my credit card wasn't as happy about the recent AUS->US dollar gain as I was :toot:

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000
I decided to upgrade my vocal mic, although I must say my old SM57 served me well:

Blue Microphones Blueberry.

Now I just need something with phantom power so I can try it out.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I managed to find one Gibson Reverse Flying V in my city, right after calling it quits and purchasing an expensive boutique pedal and another Squier '51... Looks like someone's gonna be broke and working full overtime for the next month!

crosley
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I couldn't resist the price drop on the Variax 300 guitars. I finally have something to plug into the RJ45 port on the pod XTL.

So far I'm loving the 12 string to drop d strat virtual tuning functionality, even though its a little distracting hearing the physical strings when you have some odd tuning going like Rain Song. I probably just need to turn up the amp. I still need to play with the workbench software a bit more though, it looks like you can get some really nice sounds going if you spend some time in there.

Orz
Dec 5, 2006

by Lowtax
I just bought a USA Big Muff pedal and holy drat it's the best distortion pedal I've ever owned ever.

I bought it to replace my retarded Digitech Distortion Factory pedal. The Distortion Factory has a Big Muff setting, but it sounded like rear end compared to the real thing, now that I have something to compare it to.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Orz posted:

I just bought a USA Big Muff pedal and holy drat it's the best distortion pedal I've ever owned ever.

I bought it to replace my retarded Digitech Distortion Factory pedal. The Distortion Factory has a Big Muff setting, but it sounded like rear end compared to the real thing, now that I have something to compare it to.

Welcome to the Big Muff club! The muff is the only distortion pedal I trust with my electro-acoustic mandolin. When hooked up to my 63 vibroverb amp, you wouldn't believe the awesome sounds you can get with a Big Muff Pi and an electric mandolin. If I manipulate the settings just right, I can make it sound like a flute!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I've used it before and loved it then, too, but I just bought (and will keep) a Metal Muff with Top Boost (full-size one with the foot switch). Seriously, what a pedal. High gain done right.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?
Out with the Fender Blues Deluxe, in with the Vox AC-15

Hell yeah.

I missed a buy-it-now for a used AC15 from Warpdrive Music/Cream City Music and they gave me a brank spanking new amp for the cost of the used one. That's $440 plus shipping. Awesome store, I'll be looking to buy from them in the future.

duggimon
Oct 19, 2007

If I had a horse I'd buy it oats and fuck it
Oh yeah, dig the fat beats!

got it second hand, some kindly chap has put 1/8" outputs for each seperate instrument on the back as well.

Jesus Rocket
Apr 25, 2003

Lobster Johnson posted:

Nice. How long is the loop on that thing?

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge
Zoom Tri-Metal TM-01.

Jesus this thing has a lot of gain. It also has a nice bottom end unlike other metal pedals which are boxes of fizz. Solid metal construction, true bypass and probably the least noisiest distortion pedal I've ever had the pleasure of playing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!
Oh boy oh boy my birthday is in a few weeks and Christmas is just around the corner. This is what I'm adding to my home studio.

Frontier Design Alphatrack:

Akai MPK49:

Massive amount of Psytrance here I come!!!

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
So I got that broken $12 Fender Samarium Cobalt Tele bridge pickup in the mail, and it doesn't seem to be broken at all, just missing a lead wire. It reads 12.85k on the multimeter, but I can't find how much it's supposed to be just to verify it. Can anybody point me in the right direction as to the resistance it's supposed to be? eBay yeilds nothing so far.

Edit: Found it. 13.8k, so I suppose it's close enough to be considered a functional pickup, right?

Edit 2: I also got that ancient single-coil sized chrome Dimarzio in the mail, but I can't figure out how to read the resistance. The wires are black/white/green/bare and I've tried doubling some of them up to boost resistance levels but the max it's read is 3.38k, a lot lower than I've been expecting. Which wires am I supposed to group together and test with?

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 21, 2007

logistik
Sep 11, 2001

I'll give you a TKO from Tokyo!
Latest purchase just came in the mail yesterday. I loving love it!

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

Handen posted:

Which wires am I supposed to group together and test with?

Connect white to red, measure green to black.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Chows posted:

Connect white to red, measure green to black.

I always appreciate your advice, Chows. :)

However, there is no red wire. :(

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

Handen posted:

I always appreciate your advice, Chows. :)

However, there is no red wire. :(

WHOOPS sorry I ran off and looked up the standard DiMarzio color code and missed that in my haste :shobon:

It looks like all of DiMarzio's current hum-cancelling Strat pups use the standard four-conductor wiring. Is it possible you're missing a lead like on the SCN pickup?

edit: 3.4k sounds about right for one coil of the vintage lines so I'm guessing that's what's happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Chows posted:

WHOOPS sorry I ran off and looked up the standard DiMarzio color code and missed that in my haste :shobon:

It looks like all of DiMarzio's current hum-cancelling Strat pups use the standard four-conductor wiring. Is it possible you're missing a lead like on the SCN pickup?

I don't think that'd be the case... I know how standard humbucker wiring is normally some sort of 4-conductor + bare configuration inside of another shielded outer tube like this stuff...

...But I've trimmed it down about 2cm to create fresh wire contact points and it seems like it's only a 3-conductor + bare configuration inside of a shielded outer tube. It doesnt seem like it's the case that a red wire would have been pulled all the way out, as the whole lead itself is probably a good and tight 6".

:confused:

Chows posted:

edit: 3.4k sounds about right for one coil of the vintage lines so I'm guessing that's what's happened.

I'm not exactly sure what model the pickup is per-se, but I'm not so sure it's one of the virtual vintage models, as it's got 6 hex-adjustable polepieces like a Super Distortion or Super II, and a non-removable chrome cover.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 21, 2007