Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

edit: never mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Deezul posted:

Is the numbering of the harddrives based off the boot order in the bios or some other way?

It is the device numbering in BIOS, what may or may not be the same as boot order. BIOS may have its own opinion of what device is where, and OS is usually completely unaware of it. Fortunately GRUB allows to edit its arguments when choosing them from the menu (press 'e' to edit entry, choose a line and 'e' again to edit a line within the entry, <Enter> to finish, 'b' to boot). So if you get your devices wrong, manually edit them while in GRUB menu, then write the configuration file with whatever happened to be correct.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

teapot posted:

It is the device numbering in BIOS, what may or may not be the same as boot order. BIOS may have its own opinion of what device is where, and OS is usually completely unaware of it. Fortunately GRUB allows to edit its arguments when choosing them from the menu (press 'e' to edit entry, choose a line and 'e' again to edit a line within the entry, <Enter> to finish, 'b' to boot). So if you get your devices wrong, manually edit them while in GRUB menu, then write the configuration file with whatever happened to be correct.

grub has tab completion too, so the partitions/files on a drive can help you find the right one to use.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

covener posted:

:words:

Worked like a charm, thanks

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.

rookieone posted:

They're fun even though they are pretty limited community/players wise. It's like a Quake1/Quake2 style quick online game. Graphics look good though and you always have to applaud their efforts for putting out a real crossplatform game.

But with Quake3 running in Linux without a problem (same counts for UT, its successors and all other Quake1/2/3 engine games) there isn't much sense in playing Cube/Sauerbraten games.

Actually there are quite a few deathmatch style games for linux out there if you look around a bit (say on linuxgaming etc.)

I don't know why, but I thought he meant free games.

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
I have an nVidia card setup for Twinview. Presently fullscreen apps and splash screens will show up centered between each display. But programs like Firefox will show up on one display or the other.

I'd like a way so that fullscreen applications by default showed up on a single display. I read on another forum that this can be accomplished by setting up two different displays, but you can't drag windows between the two. If possible I'd like to be able to maintain the ability of dragging between displays while still solving the problem. Is this possible?

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Silvyn posted:

I have an nVidia card setup for Twinview. Presently fullscreen apps and splash screens will show up centered between each display. But programs like Firefox will show up on one display or the other.

I'd like a way so that fullscreen applications by default showed up on a single display. I read on another forum that this can be accomplished by setting up two different displays, but you can't drag windows between the two. If possible I'd like to be able to maintain the ability of dragging between displays while still solving the problem. Is this possible?

I would like to do something similar. I have a single screen, but it has a 16:10 aspect ratio and I'd like to be able to maximize to either side. Sort of like having two xinerama displays on a single monitor. I've seen utilities for Windows that do this, so I'm sure there's a bit of demand. Does anyone know how to do this? I'm using compiz as my window manager.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Does anyone know of a good bittorrent client for Linux? I'm using, or trying to use, KTorrent, but it stalls on every torrent, plus it's for KDE and I'm using GNOME. I'd like a client that's similar to uTorrent, but I do not think that's possible.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

Bubba Ho-Tep posted:

Does anyone know of a good bittorrent client for Linux? I'm using, or trying to use, KTorrent, but it stalls on every torrent, plus it's for KDE and I'm using GNOME. I'd like a client that's similar to uTorrent, but I do not think that's possible.

uTorrent works amazingly well in Wine. And I don't mean "amazingly well" as in "it works kind of sort of after installing layer after layer of hack and installing a special version of wine from source," but that I have yet to find a distro or system running any reasonably recent version of wine that did not run uTorrent as well as native windows.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Zuph posted:

uTorrent works amazingly well in Wine. And I don't mean "amazingly well" as in "it works kind of sort of after installing layer after layer of hack and installing a special version of wine from source," but that I have yet to find a distro or system running any reasonably recent version of wine that did not run uTorrent as well as native windows.

My uTorrent stopped working after a while, and by stopped working I mean it stopped displaying it's windows, not sure if it's utorrent, wine or compiz causing it, but I am angered by having to use rtorrent.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Vanadium posted:

It occasionally does that for me until I click the systray icon twice. I think it believes it is minimised or something.

I know about that one, but not too long ago it started refusing to come up. I think wine is actually drawing a window, but I can't see it because there's an area where the cursor changes to the default wine cursor. I'll spend some time on it tonight I guess.

deimos fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 15, 2007

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

deimos posted:

My uTorrent stopped working after a while, and by stopped working I mean it stopped displaying it's windows, not sure if it's utorrent, wine or compiz causing it, but I am angered by having to use rtorrent.

It occasionally does that for me until I click the systray icon twice. I think it believes it is minimised or something.

Harokey
Jun 12, 2003

Memory is RAM! Oh dear!
I'm trying to get a computer lab set up that is dual booting.

I'd like the machines to remember which OS they last booted into, and reboot into that OS.

I have this working on my laptop in Ubuntu, but the Computer lab is openSUSE 10.2

Here's the grub menu.lst:
code:
# Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Fri Sep 21 12:58:58 PDT 2007
default saved
timeout 8
gfxmenu (hd0,0)/message
##YaST - activate

title openSUSE 10.2 - 2.6.18.8-0.5
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18.8-0.5-default root=/dev/sda5 vga=0x31a resume=/dev/sd           a7 splash=silent showopts
    initrd /initrd-2.6.18.8-0.5-default
    savedefault

title Failsafe -- openSUSE 10.2 - 2.6.18.8-0.5
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18.8-0.5-default root=/dev/sda5 vga=normal showopts ide=           nodma apm=off acpi=off noresume edd=off
    initrd /initrd-2.6.18.8-0.5-default
    savedefault

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: windows###
title Windows
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    savedefault
    chainloader (hd0,1)+1
Now we just edited that file by hand, I've tried poking around in Yast and I can't figure out the setting anywhere in that GUI. Any Ideas?

Edit: Linux Always boots.

Harokey fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 15, 2007

DevastatorIIC
Nov 13, 2006

Dvorak- Ubuntu- KDE- and Opera-fag

Bubba Ho-Tep posted:

I was a hardcore wine+uTorrent guy until I got annoyed with the invisible windows thing* and tried out Deluge. It's pretty drat good.

*Right-click its system tray thing and go Show/Hide twice. That usually fixes it.

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004

Bubba Ho-Tep posted:

I'm a huge fan of rtorrent running with screen. It's super lightweight, has all of the features you could want in a torrent program (encryption, global throttling, per-torrent throttling, setting priorities on files), and runs on a ncurses-based user interface accessible via SSH. By SSHing into your machine you can fully control it. I have mine set up to watch a directory so starting a torrent is as simple as putting the file in there.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Silvyn posted:

I'm a huge fan of rtorrent running with screen. It's super lightweight, has all of the features you could want in a torrent program (encryption, global throttling, per-torrent throttling, setting priorities on files), and runs on a ncurses-based user interface accessible via SSH. By SSHing into your machine you can fully control it. I have mine set up to watch a directory so starting a torrent is as simple as putting the file in there.

UPnP and DHT are the only things I miss out of uTorrent. Mostly because I forgot my router's password and can't forward the ports and don't want to re-flash it. =O

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Harokey posted:

I'm trying to get a computer lab set up that is dual booting.

I'd like the machines to remember which OS they last booted into, and reboot into that OS.

I have this working on my laptop in Ubuntu, but the Computer lab is openSUSE 10.2

Here's the grub menu.lst:
Now we just edited that file by hand, I've tried poking around in Yast and I can't figure out the setting anywhere in that GUI. Any Ideas?

Edit: Linux Always boots.

did you grub-install?

Harokey
Jun 12, 2003

Memory is RAM! Oh dear!

deimos posted:

did you grub-install?

What does grub-install do? Doesn't grub just read off of the menu.lst each time it starts up?

dorkface
Dec 27, 2005
I just installed gutsy, and I'm trying to have my first experience with linux and dual monitors. I want to have each monitor to have it's own desktop, and apparently with a GeForce 8800GTS, I can achieve that through "nvidia-settings".

Unfortunately, no matter what I do, I am greeted with this:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h79/drkfce/nvidia-settings2.png

I'm sure, from images I searched on google, that this is not what I am supposed to get.

So far, I have:

1) Installed nvidia-settings
2) Installed nvidia-glx
3) Went into xorg.conf to change "nv" to "nvidia"
4) removed and reinstalled nvidia-glx multiple times

All to no avail. Is there anything else I can do?

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

dorkface posted:

So far, I have:

1) Installed nvidia-settings
2) Installed nvidia-glx
3) Went into xorg.conf to change "nv" to "nvidia"
4) removed and reinstalled nvidia-glx multiple times

All to no avail. Is there anything else I can do?

You can configure this manually in a few short lines; hate to ask, but you did restart your Xserver after those changes?

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
I just installed OpenSUSE 10.3 gnome and it's pretty nice but I'm having two problems with it.

1) I installed the compiz fusion settings manager and activated the appropriate settings that I like but for some reason the settings do not go into effect. They are saved, but nothing happens. The cube reflection doesn't reflect, the fire effect does not allow me to write in fire. What give? :(
I forgot to add, I do have compiz fusion and 3D effects enabled.

2) Is there any way to speed up how long Yast takes when looking for a program in the repositories when you're installing a program? Compared to ubuntu or any other distro, it is slow as hell.

thanks guys.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
Microsoft said they're phasing out 32 bit operating systems as of 2008.
I'm hoping this means that the AMD64 distribution of Debian will suck less for Wine, Flash, Firefox, and package timeliness.

I'd really like to go back to a 64-bit version, but I'm not sure I could stand not having flash and not being able to run Steam under Wine. When will it finally be worth it?

Jo fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 17, 2007

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Jo posted:

I'd really like to go back to a 64-bit version, but I'm not sure I could stand not having flash and not being able to run Steam under Wine. When will it finally be worth it?

Why can't you join the rest of the world and run some 32-bit applications on your 64-bit OS?

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
So WTF is up with rtorrent and ntfs-3g? Why must they hate each other?

(Still have an external drive formatted NTFS, why must I still boot into a graphical interface to use uTorrent when I could be using the bliss that is screen and rtorrent)

SeventySeven
Jan 18, 2005
I AM A FAGGOT WHO BEGGED EXTREMITY TO CREATE AM ACCOUNT FOR ME. PLEASE PELT ME WITH ASSORTED GOODS.
Is there a command which shows which process is bound to which socket?

RoundsToZero
Dec 3, 2004

An open door is an invitation
lsof -i | grep LIST for listening sockets.
lsof -i | grep EST for established connections.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Quick rsync question. I've already uploaded dozens of gigabytes to my Dreamhost account using rsync:

code:
rsync -av --stats --progress ...
I've changed my directory structure around a bit and I'd like rsync to remove files from the destination that do not exist locally. I'm thinking --delete will do what I need, but I wanted to make sure I'm not overlooking something.

Also, when I originally uploaded the data (a process that took WEEKS), I didn't use --archive. If the connection dropped, and oh did it drop, rsync took hours and hours to regenerate the list and figure out where it left off. I notice now that when I use -a instead of my custom witch's brew of flags things go much faster. Is this to be expected, or am I just imagining it?

EDIT: Ok so I am an idiot and didn't notice the man page had verbose descriptions for all the options. Whoops.

Kobayashi fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 17, 2007

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Evil Robot posted:

So WTF is up with rtorrent and ntfs-3g? Why must they hate each other?

(Still have an external drive formatted NTFS, why must I still boot into a graphical interface to use uTorrent when I could be using the bliss that is screen and rtorrent)

Not really rtorrent's or ntfs-3g's fault but NTFS's fault exacerbated by rtorrent's lack of pre-allocation.

edit: you could download into / and transfer into your external automatically from rtorrent's config.

deimos fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 17, 2007

dorkface
Dec 27, 2005

covener posted:

You can configure this manually in a few short lines; hate to ask, but you did restart your Xserver after those changes?

Well, lets see:

1)Ctrl+alt+backspace to get out of xserver
2)Ctrl+alt+f4 for a terminal session
2)sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings
3)sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx
4)sudo pico /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change "nv" to "nvidia"
5)Alt+f7 to get back to X
6)Login

I assume I didn't do that right?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

dorkface posted:

Does not seem like you restarted X after changing Xorg.conf. (Ctrl+Alt+Backspace or /etc/init.d/gdm restart)

dorkface
Dec 27, 2005

deimos posted:

Does not seem like you restarted X after changing Xorg.conf. (Ctrl+Alt+Backspace or /etc/init.d/gdm restart)

I looked through the /etc/init.d/ directory, and gdm is not in there for some reason.

Also, I just found out if I change "nv" to "nvidia", if I have to shut down the system for some reason, it will not boot completely; it gets stuck trying to initialize a script or something. After fiddling with recovery console, and changing "nvidia" back to "nv", it works fine.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

dorkface posted:

I looked through the /etc/init.d/ directory, and gdm is not in there for some reason.

Doh, cause you're using Kubuntu, I meant kdm.

dorkface posted:

Also, I just found out if I change "nv" to "nvidia", if I have to shut down the system for some reason, it will not boot completely; it gets stuck trying to initialize a script or something. After fiddling with recovery console, and changing "nvidia" back to "nv", it works fine.

you do realize that nvidia-glx are not the drivers for 8800, right? you want nvidia-glx-new. Make sure that you remove nvidia-glx first.

dorkface
Dec 27, 2005

deimos posted:

Doh, cause you're using Kubuntu, I meant kdm.

you do realize that nvidia-glx are not the drivers for 8800, right? you want nvidia-glx-new. Make sure that you remove nvidia-glx first.

Thank you! That worked perfectly! :D

And, no, I didn't know that the 8800gts needed the new drivers. :o

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

dorkface posted:

Thank you! That worked perfectly! :D

And, no, I didn't know that the 8800gts needed the new drivers. :o

Glad to help, I should've caught that from your first post but I didn't read it, just read your step by step and answered that.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

dorkface posted:

Well, lets see:

1)Ctrl+alt+backspace to get out of xserver
2)Ctrl+alt+f4 for a terminal session
2)sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings
3)sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx
4)sudo pico /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change "nv" to "nvidia"
5)Alt+f7 to get back to X
6)Login

X only restarted between 1 and 2, not after step 4 where you needed it.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
My laptop died recently due to a virus infestation, so I posted a thread about how to get data off, and simcole linked me to an article on saving data, which recommended the Knoppix linux boot disk. I tried it, and it worked, and I liked the look of it, and am considering installing Linux, and have a few questions.

1) There seem to be a lot of versions available. Do you guys have a favorite for a new linux user? I'd like to it to retain as much of the functionality and ease of use of windows, but without the pricetag of a new copy of windows.

2) Is this something I should even be thinking about, given that i've got no background? Are there disadvantages I haven't thought of? Will most of my old programs (Photoshop, etc) not function in linux?

I'm not 100% sold, especially if it's going to make life difficult, but it was something I'd considered.

Thanks for your help. :)

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Fantastipotamus posted:

1) There seem to be a lot of versions available. Do you guys have a favorite for a new linux user? I'd like to it to retain as much of the functionality and ease of use of windows, but without the pricetag of a new copy of windows.

Don't try and install knoppix as a hard drive distro. I would recommend Kubuntu (Ubuntu with a window manager similar to Knoppix/Windows) as a great starting distro. Try one of the live cds to have a look risk/hassle free.

quote:

2) Is this something I should even be thinking about, given that i've got no background? Are there disadvantages I haven't thought of? Will most of my old programs (Photoshop, etc) not function in linux?

Sure, I would always recommend it as there are tons of advantages, but you may have to do a little extra work to get things set up initially. However, on a surprising number of systems, a modern install of (K)Ubuntu will be easier than Windows and support more hardware out of the box. That's why the live cd is useful to give you an idea of whether things will 'just work' or not.

None of your old programs will work in a bare Linux install basically, for the simple reason that they're not linux programs and you shouldn't expect them to run.

With that caveat in mind, the wine project has made huge strides in getting your favourite programs to run (fairly sure photoshop is on the list with the very latest versions) although expect a quirk or two. Also commercial solutions include CrossOver Office (for Word/Excel/itunes etc) and Cedega (games).

Many Linux programs are extremely high quality and can easily replace your Windows programs however (see eg amarok for your music, k3b for a nero replacement) - perhaps if you told us which programs you had in mind, we could advise.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 17, 2007

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Col posted:

With that caveat in mind, the wine project has made huge strides in getting your favourite programs to run (fairly sure photoshop is on the list with the very latest versions) although expect a quirk or two.

ShadowHawk may correct me but wine supports upto CS2 not CS3.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003

deimos posted:

ShadowHawk may correct me but wine supports upto CS2 not CS3.

This is correct.

http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=17

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

Col posted:

Don't try and install knoppix as a hard drive distro. I would recommend Kubuntu (Ubuntu with a window manager similar to Knoppix/Windows) as a great starting distro. Try one of the live cds to have a look risk/hassle free.
What's a distro? Basically, I'm just going to use the Knoppix disc to save what stuff I can salvage from the laptop before formatting, and keep it around should the need ever arise again.

Col posted:

Sure, I would always recommend it as there are tons of advantages, but you may have to do a little extra work to get things set up initially. However, on a surprising number of systems, a modern install of (K)Ubuntu will be easier than Windows and support more hardware out of the box. That's why the live cd is useful to give you an idea of whether things will 'just work' or not.

None of your old programs will work in a bare Linux install basically, for the simple reason that they're not linux programs and you shouldn't expect them to run.

With that caveat in mind, the wine project has made huge strides in getting your favourite programs to run (fairly sure photoshop is on the list with the very latest versions) although expect a quirk or two. Also commercial solutions include CrossOver Office (for Word/Excel/itunes etc) and Cedega (games).

Many Linux programs are extremely high quality and can easily replace your Windows programs however (see eg amarok for your music, k3b for a nero replacement) - perhaps if you told us which programs you had in mind, we could advise.
So, Kunbuntu would likely be a good place to start? Is the wine project included in that, or downloaded seperately?

The only other program I'd really like to keep around is Acid Pro (old version 3.0 though, don't want to pay to upgrade) and Photoshop, but I only have CS2, so it looks like that should be okay. Beyond that it's just the simple, AIM clone, web surfing, burning software, and itunes (or something that my ipod will think is itunes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003

Fantastipotamus posted:

What's a distro? Basically, I'm just going to use the Knoppix disc to save what stuff I can salvage from the laptop before formatting, and keep it around should the need ever arise again.

A distro is a distribution. Essentially, any operating system using the core Linux kernel is considered "Linux," but different distributions tweak the kernel and add in different programs for specific needs and goals. For example, drat Small Linux is a distribution that's designed to be as small as possible, to take up less space on a disk and for use on less powerful systems. Red Hat Enterprise is designed to be as good a workstation/server distribution as possible. Ubuntu (and all its sub-distributions) are designed to be as easy to set up and use as possible.

Fantastipotamus posted:

So, Kunbuntu would likely be a good place to start? Is the wine project included in that, or downloaded seperately?

The only other program I'd really like to keep around is Acid Pro (old version 3.0 though, don't want to pay to upgrade) and Photoshop, but I only have CS2, so it looks like that should be okay. Beyond that it's just the simple, AIM clone, web surfing, burning software, and itunes (or something that my ipod will think is itunes.

Wine isn't included by default, but it's ridiculously simple to install. As opposed to googling for an application, and downloading a demo that craps your computer up only to find out that it doesn't do what you need it to do (Like in Windows), in Linux you simple go to your package manager and search for what you want. It will the download and install itself, along with any other applications it needs to run.

Photoshop CS2 works fine in Wine. The Gimp is a reasonably good replacement for Photoshop, depending on what you're doing.
AIM Clone = GAIM/Pidgin
Web Browsing = Firefox
Burning Software = K3B
iTunes = Amarok

While Amarok is fine at syncing your iPod, downloading podcasts, etc., it cannot play songs downloaded from the iTunes music store. iTunes will run in the newest version of Wine, although you cannot download songs from the store yet (it will, however, play and sync currently downloaded songs).

The new version of Ubuntu (7.10) comes out tomorrow, and both Kubuntu and Ubuntu have made huge strides in this next release.