Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
It isn't in Origin of PCs or Start of Darkness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
They've hinted a couple times that Roy and his sister had another sibling, but I just kind figured that the kid never amounted to much.

I can't imagine a worse purgatory than being stuck around age 4-8 for eternity. Then again, when I was 4 to 8 years old, Lego was amazingly captivating. I can only imagine that Heaven's Lego always has the right piece for whatever you're building, and you never step on those pieces either, or have your folks throw them away.

The text in this comic makes sound an awful lot like Eugene was responsible for what happened to the middle child, but that Roy blames himself for it.

Echoing the :cry: aspect of this strip. Sweet Zombie Jeebus, that's sad.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Looking at the forums, apparently this heretofore unseen baby brother is there to address a continuity error or something. In this strip:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0113.html

...there's a baby hanging out by Roy's mom, who I guess this baby brother is supposed to be.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Wanderer posted:

Looking at the forums, apparently this heretofore unseen baby brother is there to address a continuity error or something. In this strip:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0113.html

...there's a baby hanging out by Roy's mom, who I guess this baby brother is supposed to be.

That's Roy, when he was younger. It was supposed to be a montage of his early life.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Manyorcas posted:

That's Roy, when he was younger. It was supposed to be a montage of his early life.

Two panels after that

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

greatn posted:

Two panels after that

Oh right. :doh:

That was probably before the incident then, perhaps?

Samedi
Aug 26, 2003

I turn evil.
Why wouldn't everyone assume that was his sister? Babies all look alike anyway.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Grasping at straws here but maybe his brother was killed in some sort of magical accidental, disillusioning Roy and turning him towards a fighter. Or maybe I am reading way too much into that.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
I think it's something simpler, like Roy and his little brother playing somewhere they shouldn't have been, after Eugene told them to go make up their own fun, while he did "important" things.

Roy's little brother drowns/is eaten/is trampled/falls on a sharp object, and the wedge is driven between Roy and Eugene.

I tell you, if it IS something like that, the case for Eugene getting into LG heaven just keeps getting worse and worse.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Samedi posted:

Why wouldn't everyone assume that was his sister? Babies all look alike anyway.

I guess because Julia's so much younger than Roy. I don't know, I got this second-hand.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
I actually think that it might be the same baby as Roy's little brother. You can see the edge of an orange shirt peeking out in strip 113, and he's got the same little hair poofs. If it was Julia I'd think that the baby would have longer hair or a pink shirt or something.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Women's Rights? posted:

I actually think that it might be the same baby as Roy's little brother. You can see the edge of an orange shirt peeking out in strip 113, and he's got the same little hair poofs. If it was Julia I'd think that the baby would have longer hair or a pink shirt or something.

Plus, setting up Roy's little brother almost 400 strips in advance is exactly the kind of thing I have no doubt he would do.

THE SHIRT IS THE SAME COLOR.

Man.

Seriously. This guy.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
So I guess that's why Roy's so tolerant of a certain other bard.

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug

Bobulus posted:

I'm pretty sure this is the first time it's been mentioned, unless it was in some bonus material I don't have.

I have the books released so far, and it's not in there.

Edit: beaten by the page I did not see.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

NutShellBill posted:

I think it's something simpler, like Roy and his little brother playing somewhere they shouldn't have been, after Eugene told them to go make up their own fun, while he did "important" things.

Roy's little brother drowns/is eaten/is trampled/falls on a sharp object, and the wedge is driven between Roy and Eugene.

I dunno, read Roy's dialog again, "I know it wasn't my fault. I know that. I was just a kid, it wasn't my job to watch the grown-up. But... I should have done something. I knew it wasn't safe." Roy didn't do it, Eugene did. Roy was just an unlucky bystander. Now I really hope something awful happens to Eugene.

Internet Cliche
Oct 18, 2004
Ninja Robot Pirate Zombie
Calling it now for the 500th issue:

Roy settles the business with his father and his brother's death, decides he has everything he wants, and declines resurrection.

And the others just wander around aimlessly, wondering what to do with no leader. :(

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

rantmo posted:

Now I really hope something awful happens to Eugene.
What, something like dying and not being allowed into the afterlife?

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I clicked on this thread by accident, was taken by the character of Xykon and *POOF* 2 of my 3 days off are gone from reading the entire strip in chronological order.

thank you

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
I guess that answers Clapton's question.

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.
I have mixed feelings about this.

Not that that strip wasn't awesome. It was. All this Celestia stuff has been amazing. What bothers me is that the ease with which Burlew switches from drama to comedy and back again is only going to bolster the ranks of relatively funny gag-a-day webcomics that drown in a sea of boring, annoying melodrama.

Now that YWCiBaYSFB is dead, maybe someone should start up a page that has nothing but "YOU ARE NOT RICHARD BURLEW, STOP TRYING" in huge red letters.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Dead Snoopy posted:

I clicked on this thread by accident, was taken by the character of Xykon and *POOF* 2 of my 3 days off are gone from reading the entire strip in chronological order.

thank you

That is kind of like what happened to me originally. I became aware of Order of the Stick somehow, and was mildly annoyed at its existence since I had only recently finally purged my life of wasting time on webcomics. I looked at the first strip, expecting to think it just as dumb as every other one, realized it was hilarious, and was reading strip #200 a few hours later. :(

Nomenklatura posted:

Now that YWCiBaYSFB is dead, maybe someone should start up a page that has nothing but "YOU ARE NOT RICHARD BURLEW, STOP TRYING" in huge red letters.

I do not know what YWCiBaYSFB means. But I will try to guess.

You Will Cry in Boredom as Your Sister's Friend Burns.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

Quarex posted:

I do not know what YWCiBaYSFB means. But I will try to guess.

You Will Cry in Boredom as Your Sister's Friend Burns.

Your Web Comic is Bad and You Should Feel Bad.

It's a blog that Fuego Fish started to rip on all of the terrible web comics out there.

OotS is, of course, not even mentioned.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Except in the comments section, but those mongoloids would post about any old poo poo.

YWB isn't dead, anyway, it's just taking a break.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Vanadium posted:

What, something like dying and not being allowed into the afterlife?

There are far, far worse things that can happen to a soul outside it's body and home plane, Outsiders have plenty of horrific things that they can (and will) do.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
As it was written:

awwwww.... :sympathy:

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

This was so beautiful and sad. I don't know how the man does it. I actually had to stop and get something out of my eye when I read it.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments

Fuego Fish posted:

I've been preferring to think of it as lulling the prey into a false sense of security. I couldn't believe that some retards actually took their comics down because someone might post a criticism of them on an unrelated web page.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

rantmo posted:

There are far, far worse things that can happen to a soul outside it's body and home plane, Outsiders have plenty of horrific things that they can (and will) do.

At least Eugene hasn't been shoved into the Wall of Atheists that's supposed to be somewhere in the Outlands. Seriously, a wall where souls that don't belong to any god are trapped for eternity.

To be an atheist in a D&D-styled world is to ask for a very Terry Pratchett sort of pain.

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.

Fuego Fish posted:

Except in the comments section, but those mongoloids would post about any old poo poo.

Good to hear, because it was refreshing reading someone saying "no, seriously, your gag comic doesn't need horrible drama." I just think that there might need to be a rider stating "I don't care if OotS did it so well, YOU AREN'T RICH BURLEW, so don't try".

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

IMJack posted:

To be an atheist in a D&D-styled world is to ask for a very Terry Pratchett sort of pain.

Being an Atheist in DnD would be really strange when you think about it, because its not like there is any real doubt about the existence and power of gods. I mean, you have some crazed priest to Umberlee raise up a flood or a cleric of Tyr blow apart undead with their holy symbol, and saying 'Oh no, I'm don't believe in that' just doesn't seem like an entirely reasonable position. I suppose you could attribute it to charlatan wizards or something like that, but how many times does somone have to call lightning before you're at least agnostic?

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug

Ashcans posted:

Being an Atheist in DnD would be really strange when you think about it...

Atheists could just move to Glantri, where the whole country said "nyah nyah we can't hear you" to the gods and flat-out banned clerics in favor of arcane magic.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Ashcans posted:

'Oh no, I'm don't believe in that' just doesn't seem like an entirely reasonable position.

I am not really sure about that. Sure, lightnings are flashy and impressive and everything, but sorcerers can do similar things and they do not claim that there is a divine purpose to it. It still seems rather sensible to be wary of people pretending that their ability to blow stuff up is god-given.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Myok posted:

Atheists could just move to Glantri, where the whole country said "nyah nyah we can't hear you" to the gods and flat-out banned clerics in favor of arcane magic.

Whoa, way to go all first edition on us.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Vanadium posted:

I am not really sure about that. Sure, lightnings are flashy and impressive and everything, but sorcerers can do similar things and they do not claim that there is a divine purpose to it. It still seems rather sensible to be wary of people pretending that their ability to blow stuff up is god-given.

I'm fairly sure that sorcerers can't cast all the spells that clerics can, and vise-versa. Although, to the average peasant, I guess that would be a difficult distinction to make.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Olanphonia posted:

I'm fairly sure that sorcerers can't cast all the spells that clerics can, and vise-versa. Although, to the average peasant, I guess that would be a difficult distinction to make.

There is also the various barrable wizard schools and dozens of prestige classes with their own spelllike abilities, and druids who do not need to worship a concrete deity to cast divine spells, and psionics, and probably a bunch of gimmicks I am not even aware of that also have access to different sets of spells. For all my atheist character would know, clerics just tap into yet another non-sentient extraplanar energy source that just happens to manifest itself through other spells than arcane magic. :)

sansuki
May 17, 2003

Olanphonia posted:

This gives me a great idea for a villain that masquerades as a cleric, using clerical vestments and rituals to mask being a wizard.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Vanadium posted:

There is also the various barrable wizard schools and dozens of prestige classes with their own spelllike abilities, and druids who do not need to worship a concrete deity to cast divine spells, and psionics, and probably a bunch of gimmicks I am not even aware of that also have access to different sets of spells. For all my atheist character would know, clerics just tap into yet another non-sentient extraplanar energy source that just happens to manifest itself through other spells than arcane magic. :)

Not to mention that in FR, one of the gods, I believe, is literally the Weave of Magic itself.

I'm curious if there would be any people in a D&D world who weren't atheist but didn't choose to follow a god.

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006
Just one spray keeps bad karma away!

Ashcans posted:

Being an Atheist in DnD would be really strange when you think about it, because its not like there is any real doubt about the existence and power of gods. I mean, you have some crazed priest to Umberlee raise up a flood or a cleric of Tyr blow apart undead with their holy symbol, and saying 'Oh no, I'm don't believe in that' just doesn't seem like an entirely reasonable position. I suppose you could attribute it to charlatan wizards or something like that, but how many times does somone have to call lightning before you're at least agnostic?

I'm going to have to bust out some Mister Terrific reasoning.

In D&D, being a Wizard at high levels is this close to being a god. Anyone could claim it with enough ranks in Bluff and some of the wackier 9th level spells. Any caster of sufficiently high enough level could definitely emulate being a god, and then you hit a nasty feedback loop of people believing you're a god and therefore you are like a god, as per D&D's Belief Makes Right rules.

There's a whole faction of people in Sigil who are basically Atheists (the Athar?). They believe that all those gods are really just Epic level PCs. Or something.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
My character is an athiest. Then again he's first level. He hasn't witnessed any miracles or supernatural creatures. He's seen a cleric cast a spell or two but he thinks it is all the same witchcraft as a mage or sorcerer. He thinks it is all bullshit, why would he think otherwise?

On the other hand I had a high level character in Planescape who was basically an athiest, because while there were so called 'gods' there seemed to be powers all over the place as strong that didn't call themselves gods. If that kind of power is obtainable or earnable, it isn't godhood.

Then again, my other Planescape character is a devout follower of Pelor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

NutShellBill posted:

Ray says it wasn't his job "to watch the grown-up," implying that the death was indeed the result of something Eugene was doing.