Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

Handen posted:

It doesnt seem like it's the case that a red wire would have been pulled all the way out, as the whole lead itself is probably a good and tight 6".

:confused:
Hmm. All I can think of is that maybe one end of one coil is connected to the bare ground (rather than 4+bare). See if you can get a reasonable measurement (kOhm range) from the bare to one of the other 3 wires. If so, check for a similar reading across the other 2. If that works out we're almost home (maybe)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Zakalwe posted:

Zoom Tri-Metal TM-01.

Jesus this thing has a lot of gain. It also has a nice bottom end unlike other metal pedals which are boxes of fizz. Solid metal construction, true bypass and probably the least noisiest distortion pedal I've ever had the pleasure of playing.

Welcome to the club. I got a tri-metal when they were still in production and I love it for getting absolutely ridiculous distortion. It won't do anything but metal, but it does metal well.

Pukin' Babe 88
Dec 10, 2004
I have this on layaway right now.

It's a style one original 1928-1929 national tricone. The guitar has an etching on the back that says "The Nighthawk" and everything on it is original, save for the tuners. It's not nearly as flawless as this, but there's no significant surface damage and $1400 is a pretty good deal. I'll put up pictures as soon as I make my last payment.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Pukin' Babe 88 posted:

I have this on layaway right now.

It's a style one original 1928-1929 national tricone. The guitar has an etching on the back that says "The Nighthawk" and everything on it is original, save for the tuners. It's not nearly as flawless as this, but there's no significant surface damage and $1400 is a pretty good deal. I'll put up pictures as soon as I make my last payment.

Hot drat, there are plenty of non-vintage reso guitars selling for more than that.

Wish you had the backstory behind that "Nighthawk" engraving, but probably everyone who knows the story is dead by now.

I'm saving up for a resonator ukulele myself, but yours is probably a lot more versatile.

Spiral
Dec 20, 2003

I just got a vintage Tube Driver and a MIJ BF-2 from guitar center for $40. I was happy to say the least.

the rest of the stuff i had before, but this is the only pic i have.

squakMix
Apr 6, 2007
WWWYZZERDD
Two new technics sl-1200 M3D turntables,

and two Shure cartridges

on their way

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.

Spiral posted:

I just got a vintage Tube Driver and a MIJ BF-2 from guitar center for $40. I was happy to say the least.

That's what I love about guitar center... sometimes they have no clue what they're selling and let it go for insanely low prices.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

Spiral posted:

Sup Hot-Rod Pink Crybaby buddy :hfive:, I got mine at a GC in austin for 50 bucks

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!
My first electric:

I love it :unsmith:

Spiral
Dec 20, 2003

Engine Fortegue posted:

Sup Hot-Rod Pink Crybaby buddy :hfive:, I got mine at a GC in austin for 50 bucks
I got mine for about the same here. Im going to swap the internals out with a 535q soon because it doesnt sound very good, but I love having a pink wah. :)

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

My first with active electronics:

Man, I love this guitar.

Draesk
Sep 12, 2007

Susano-maku da! posted:

Out with the Fender Blues Deluxe, in with the Vox AC-15

Hell yeah.

I missed a buy-it-now for a used AC15 from Warpdrive Music/Cream City Music and they gave me a brank spanking new amp for the cost of the used one. That's $440 plus shipping. Awesome store, I'll be looking to buy from them in the future.

We bought one of those earlier this year, and it's a really great amp, but we found it to be incredibly quiet. Since I'm not the guitarist, I didn't think much of it and just mic'd it up, but now I'm curious. Was that just a one-off?

iamlark
Feb 24, 2007
huh?

Oh yeah!

(softsynths count as instruments, right?)

Everett True
Dec 4, 2002
Finally! I've been looking for a Martin tiple for years, and I finally found one in good shape (the tension of 10 metal strings on basically a tenor uke body has a tendency to wreck the neck). 1951, sounds great- the tiple sound is sort of like a 12-string guitar version of a ukulele, with a lot of sustain.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lobster Johnson
Sep 23, 2004

jealous of the flies and the worms inside me
My delay arrived sooner than expected - a little over a week, shipping from Florida to Sydney. What a steal, almost half the obscene Australian shelf price.

The sound is typical of the other Moogerfoogers: fat, warm, organic and all those other wanky analogue terms. It is pretty old-school in the way it's designed, delay-wise, and doesn't attempt to get anywhere near digital delays in terms of clarity or tone. Each repeat sounds deeper and darker as the higher frequencies roll off, with the first repeat quite dark from the outset. The new Stereo Memory Man is delay swiss army knife in comparison - it can do super clear digital delay, to murky analogue bucket brigade delay - but as good as it sounds, it doesn't quite hit the sweet spots that this little analogue thing can.

It also completes my Moogerfooger modular synth! Rather than use them as pedals, I've had them on a table leaning up against things to give easy patching access to the ins and outs on each units backside. This was crap so I decided to mount the units on a rack. A quick trip to Ikea for some cheap pine shelf parts, a local hardware store for sandpaper, stain and velcro, followed by some messy hours later:

The idea being that between the Moogerfooger's little rubber feet and the velcro strips, the units would be held to the rack securely enough for patching and tweaking without fear of anything toppling over. The stain on the legs came out so pretty that I went nuts and did the whole thing, even though it mostly gets covered up :downs:

So since earlier this year, I've collected together a Freqbox, low-pass filter, ring-mod, MuRF, control processor and now the delay. Their powers combined, make:

The Uberfooger! (name shamelessly stolen from someone of the moogmusic forums)

It's essentially an audio-driven modular synth. It has no VCA, although aspects of it can be rigged into a pseudo-VCA, but it has:
  • an envelope following, hard synching oscillator (the Freqbox)
  • an envelope following low-pass filter that can also self-oscillate
  • a ring modulator that does all sorts of wacky things, including it's own carrier signal which can be used as a wide frequency oscillator
  • crazy rhythmic animated filters courtesy of the MuRF
  • the previously mentioned delay, which can also have other boxes patched into its feedback loop, which (given an initial sound) can self-oscillate
  • every handy thing provided by the control processor - LFO, sample & hold, voltage mixer, attenuators, white noise, mult, lag processor - which I've left free floating from the rack because it seems easier that way.
  • a control voltage input for just about everything that has a knob, which means infinite patching and expression pedal madness
By audio-driven, I mean that it's not bound to, say, a midi or control voltage keyboard. I am currently using guitars, an SH-101 synth, a TR-606 drum machine and a Zvex Fuzz Factory as "oscillators" for the Uberfooger. I've also been able to create some interesting sounds using the SH-101 as a CV keyboard, as well as running it with a CV sequencer.

The almost complete family:

:whip:

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Lobster Johnson posted:

The Uberfooger

That's beyond awesome - I've wanted to do the same thing for a long time and POST SOME GODDAMN SOUND CLIPS OH GOD :gonk::fh:

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

shemaghs are so gay its like smegma hahaha

Lobster Johnson posted:

I have pretty much no idea what any of that does but I'm getting a boner.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

FlossMan posted:

That's what I love about guitar center... sometimes they have no clue what they're selling and let it go for insanely low prices.

Agreed, it seems like as long as you just give them a set price, even on certain new equipment, you can pay just about whatever you want. I just wanted a pair of cheap monitors on Saturday and walked out with

for $200 out the door, sales tax and all. I was pretty happy with it!

(also, the uberfooger is pretty much the coolest thing I've seen in months. I need to stop looking at this thread.)

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!
I bought these all last week. I don't have the Jazzmaster yet, Fender shipped it yesterday though, so I should have it by Friday.

2007 Fender American Stratocaster (Olympic White)

2007 Fender American Vintage '62 Jazzmaster (Ocean Turquoise)

2007 Gibson Les Paul Supreme Autumn Burst (Guitar of the Week; Week 9)

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Jesus, where the hell did you get the money for all of those in one week? Also, the color on the Les Paul is, well, absolutely orgasmic. How much did this all run you, anyways?

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
RE: the Olympic White American Strat, PM me and I'll give you my address.

And my car.

phantom309
Nov 11, 2001
Pride O' the Campground

Von posted:

We bought one of those earlier this year, and it's a really great amp, but we found it to be incredibly quiet. Since I'm not the guitarist, I didn't think much of it and just mic'd it up, but now I'm curious. Was that just a one-off?

Mine's pretty loud for 15 watts, but I don't know if it could keep up with a really loud drummer. It's also one of the least noisy amps I've ever owned.

Scottw330
Jan 24, 2005

Please, Hammer,
Don't Hurt Em :(
drat, that's a pretty Les Paul!

iamlark
Feb 24, 2007
huh?

mesc posted:

Agreed, it seems like as long as you just give them a set price, even on certain new equipment, you can pay just about whatever you want. I just wanted a pair of cheap monitors on Saturday and walked out with

for $200 out the door, sales tax and all. I was pretty happy with it!

(also, the uberfooger is pretty much the coolest thing I've seen in months. I need to stop looking at this thread.)

How do you like them? I picked up the RP-8s a while back because I wasn't happy with the bass response on the smaller ones. I'm really liking KRK monitors, especially for the price range.

...Now I'm thinking I should have gone with something smaller (or I should get a bigger desk).

Darth Fungus
Mar 12, 2007
Sausage Smoker
I got a $30 harmonica at guitar center for 6 dollars cause the guy was too lazy to break a $50

Spartak
May 12, 2007
what matters most is how well you walk through the fire

The Dark Wind posted:

the color on the Les Paul is, well, absolutely orgasmic.

So true, the maple is beautifully flamed, and that white binding! :fap:

Fufo
Apr 24, 2002

UNEXPECTED!

Spartak posted:

So true, the maple is beautifully flamed, and that white binding! :fap:

I think I've found my dream guitar.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

Swollen Member posted:

:swoon:

Did I miss the memo about guitars going extinct? Should we all start stocking up?

But seriously, nice stuff.

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!

The Dark Wind posted:

Jesus, where the hell did you get the money for all of those in one week? Also, the color on the Les Paul is, well, absolutely orgasmic. How much did this all run you, anyways?

Too much. The Strat was ~$850-$900, the Jazzmaster was $1375 and the Les Paul was $2700. My stock has gone absolutely through the roof in the past three months, so I sold a few shares, paid off my student loan debt and treated myself to some new toys.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

iamlark posted:

How do you like them? I picked up the RP-8s a while back because I wasn't happy with the bass response on the smaller ones. I'm really liking KRK monitors, especially for the price range.

...Now I'm thinking I should have gone with something smaller (or I should get a bigger desk).

Honestly, I haven't had enough time with them yet to make a real judgement call. I bought them Saturday afternoon, promptly went out and ran some other errands, and when I got home one of them had a horrible hissing/clicking problem. I returned it the next day and got a new one. Work's been kicking my rear end all week so I've only gotten about 3-4 hours with them in total so far.

They seem, thus far, accurate and I knew I couldn't mix with headphones anymore so anything was going to sound good. My studio room is pretty small so anything bigger was going to be overkill anyhow. Everything I've read has given them great reviews so I was trusting the internet to make my decision for me (plus, for $200 I could afford to take a gamble on them.)

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Swollen Member posted:

Too much. The Strat was ~$850-$900, the Jazzmaster was $1375 and the Les Paul was $2700. My stock has gone absolutely through the roof in the past three months, so I sold a few shares, paid off my student loan debt and treated myself to some new toys.

Good for you, man. Hell of a catch in gear. Yowza.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
I'm insanely jealous of the jazzmaster, it is so pretty.

SeventySeven
Jan 18, 2005
I AM A FAGGOT WHO BEGGED EXTREMITY TO CREATE AM ACCOUNT FOR ME. PLEASE PELT ME WITH ASSORTED GOODS.
I'm going to kill you in your sleep for that Les Paul. The finish and the gold hardware look stunning.

edit: Congrats on being loaded, as well. :(

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?

Von posted:

I think it was a one-off, although I've heard the Ac15 quality varies. Mine can reach Blues Deluxe volume levels, but it has a nicer low end.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Seconding, jesus that's a sexy Les Paul.

I decided to keep this after all, it's an Ibanez RGT42DX which I got in a sale. I wanted to exchange it for one of the HR Giger Ibanezes and just pay the difference in price, but after an entire week, and three loving phonecalls, the lazy rear end salesman hadn't bothered to phone the supplier and let me know if that was even possible. Probably for the best, I guess, as I don't really have enough money right now.

It's my first neck-thru. Up until now I'd always assumed that neck-thrus were a pain in the rear end because of the sticky, painted neck, but this thing plays beautifully. The extra sustain kicks rear end also. I'll also admit that my main attraction to this guitar at first was the ultra sexy deluxe sharktooth inlays and bound neck :shobon:.

I'm thinking of upgrading the bridge pickup (it's an Ibanez INF2), I'm after something passive, bitey and high-gain. I don't really want to go the Duncan Invader route for this one, so it's a tossup between an SH JB (or rather TB-4 for Floyd spacing), or a Dimarzio Evolution or X2N. Can anyone say a few words about the Dimarzios? I've never played them.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Concatenation posted:

Seconding, jesus that's a sexy Les Paul.

I decided to keep this after all, it's an Ibanez RGT42DX which I got in a sale. I wanted to exchange it for one of the HR Giger Ibanezes and just pay the difference in price, but after an entire week, and three loving phonecalls, the lazy rear end salesman hadn't bothered to phone the supplier and let me know if that was even possible. Probably for the best, I guess, as I don't really have enough money right now.

It's my first neck-thru. Up until now I'd always assumed that neck-thrus were a pain in the rear end because of the sticky, painted neck, but this thing plays beautifully. The extra sustain kicks rear end also. I'll also admit that my main attraction to this guitar at first was the ultra sexy deluxe sharktooth inlays and bound neck :shobon:.

I'm thinking of upgrading the bridge pickup (it's an Ibanez INF2), I'm after something passive, bitey and high-gain. I don't really want to go the Duncan Invader route for this one, so it's a tossup between an SH JB (or rather TB-4 for Floyd spacing), or a Dimarzio Evolution or X2N. Can anyone say a few words about the Dimarzios? I've never played them.

I recently replaced the stock AL-HOT pickups in my Agile Ghost III with a set of GFS Dream 180 (neck) and GFS Crunchy Rails (bridge). I have used rail pickups before and never really liked them except for the sheer gain available (Dimebucker and Hot Rails, specifically). The Crunchy Rails blows me away. Much better tonal balance than the Dimebucker, but just as capable of driving the poo poo out of an amp. You might want to check it out, only $33 at https://www.guitarfetish.com. Their construction is at least as good as Seymour Duncan pickups and much better than most house-brand stock pickups - rock-solid housing, high quality winding, impregnated with enough wax to make a candle, and taped nice and tight. The wiring is just like Seymour Duncan's, and they can be wired up any way you please.

It looks like they've got a bit of a backlog on the bridge position Crunchy Rails, but they're worth the wait.

Of course, if you don't like any rail-style pickups, they may not be for you. I will say that they are unimpressive on their own when playing clean (though they blend beautifully with the Dream 180 using the middle position of the guitar's three-way switch), so if you're looking for a pickup with more versatility you might want to go with something else.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 24, 2007

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I think it's about time we had another big pickup megathread.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Does GFS make 7 string pickups at all?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

the wizards beard posted:

I think it's about time we had another big pickup megathread.

Do you want to start it? Because I've been thinking the same thing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Crunch
Nov 26, 2005

by Peatpot
I think I started the last pickup thread. I'll do this one too if no one else wants to bother.