Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Crush posted:

Yeah, sorry.
code:
matthew@matthew-desktop:~$ ls -l /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2007-10-21 22:11 /dev/cdrom -> hda
Forgot that it was an PATA/IDE/whatever drive and tried hda to no avail.

"tried hda to no avail" <- WTF does it mean???!! What exactly did you run, and what was the result. I am also still waiting for the answer about the actual data being on that CD, DVD or whatever other thing you have in that drive. What is it? Is it readable when you mount it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.

teapot posted:

"tried hda to no avail" <- WTF does it mean???!! What exactly did you run, and what was the result. I am also still waiting for the answer about the actual data being on that CD, DVD or whatever other thing you have in that drive. What is it? Is it readable when you mount it?

A DVD thatis several GBs large. dd if=/dev/hda of=NAME.ISO. Yes it is readable. Please believe I would at least know that before trying to accomplish this. Also, I have tried this on s few different DVDs and CDs.

Everyone in this thread needs to chill the gently caress out :colbert:

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Crush posted:

A DVD thatis several GBs large. dd if=/dev/hda of=NAME.ISO. Yes it is readable. Please believe I would at least know that before trying to accomplish this. Also, I have tried this on s few different DVDs and CDs.

Everyone in this thread needs to chill the gently caress out :colbert:

Data or video? And what was dmesg output if you run it after dd finished?

Crush
Jan 18, 2004

teapot posted:

Data or video?

Movie DVDs, however I just tried again with an older data CD and it worked fine. My only guess is some sort of encryption on the DVDs?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a site that tells about the file system? I.e. what the different file extensions mean, how the directory structure is arranged? Or could someone just type up a quick overview of them?

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Crush posted:

Movie DVDs, however I just tried again with an older data CD and it worked fine. My only guess is some sort of encryption on the DVDs?
Oh lord I haven't laughed so hard in a while.

Crush
Jan 18, 2004

waffle iron posted:

Oh lord I haven't laughed so hard in a while.

Care to enlighten us as to why?

Edit: So I asked in a couple linux channels on irc and the only reply I got was that it is because they are encrypted. Oh well. Thanks anyways, teapot.

Crush fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 22, 2007

Carabus
Sep 30, 2002

Booya.

Crush posted:

Care to enlighten us as to why?
Almost all commercial DVDs are encrypted.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content-scrambling_system
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeCSS

k9copy and xdvdshrink can backup movie DVDs, if that's what you want, though I have not used either.

Crush
Jan 18, 2004

Kinch posted:

Almost all commercial DVDs are encrypted.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content-scrambling_system
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeCSS

k9copy and xdvdshrink can backup movie DVDs, if that's what you want, though I have not used either.

Thanks, Kinch. Good to know.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

hooah posted:

Is there a site that tells about the file system? I.e. what the different file extensions mean
Most of the files used by the system don't have any extensions, or have something generic, like .conf , .log, etc. for text files that contain configuration or logs. Executable files are distinguished by executable permission, and may be either text (then they start with #!<name of interpreter>) or binary (in Linux it's ELF executable format). Shared libraries are .so (shared object) or .so.<version>.<version>.<version> , to distinguish between different versions of the same library -- this is how Unix-like systems avoid "DLL hell". Preferred compression format is gzip, and files compressed with it are .gz -- often after the original extension. bzip2 is another popular format, files compressed with it are .bz2 . gzip and bzip2 compression does not combine multiple files into one archine -- this is a job for tar (produces .tar files), however tar itself does not compress. Files that are both archive and compressed (like .zip) are .tar.gz and .tar.bz2 . There is also ancient "compress" program that produces files with .Z extension, however it's no longer in active use. You may still find .tar.Z files in old archives.

.rpm and .deb are package files for RPM and Debian package managers. Usually you have to deal only with one of those formats on the same system -- Red Hat/CentOS/Fedora, Mandriva and Suse use RPM, Debian and Ubuntu use .deb .

Obviously .h , .c , .cpp and other typical source files' extensions are commonly seen on Linux and other Unix-like system. A special Makefile file (that is, "Makefile" with capital 'M') is traditionally supplied, or is generated by "configure" script, in source distributions, and is used by "make" utility to build a program from sources. Sources are distributed in .tar.gz files, or can be downloaded from version control systems such as CVS or Subversion.

Users' home directories also contain files and directories that _start_ with dot, and usually not shown in directory lists ("ls -a" shows them). They contain configuration of various software that is specific to the user. For example, Firefox configuration is stored in .mozilla/firefox .

Please note that dot is a valid character anywhere in the file name. So "myfile" and "myfile." are two different files. Files "." and ".." are special, and represent current and parent directory. "myfile", "./myfile" and "././././././././myfile" are the same file. '/' is only valid as a directory separator, zero byte can not be a part of the file name because it's used as a string terminator. '\' is a valid (and not in any way special) character in the file name, however since shell treats it as an escape character, it often has to be written as \\ . Quotes of any kind, spaces, newlines and other "unusual" characters are also valid, though they may cause a lot of confusion for the user.

quote:

, how the directory structure is arranged? Or could someone just type up a quick overview of them?

http://tldp.org/guides.html

In particular, http://tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/sect_03_01.html

teapot fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 22, 2007

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

teapot posted:

Users' home directories also contain files and directories that _start_ with dot, and usually not shown in directory lists ("ls -a" shows them). They contain configuration of various software that is specific to the user. For example, Firefox configuration is stored in .mozilla/firefox .

Ok, so the Pidgin FAQ tells me that if I want to close a message window with Esc, I need to go to the .purple directory and edit an accels file. However, I can't get to that directory with my file browser, and I don't know how to edit files from the terminal.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

hooah posted:

Ok, so the Pidgin FAQ tells me that if I want to close a message window with Esc, I need to go to the .purple directory and edit an accels file. However, I can't get to that directory with my file browser, and I don't know how to edit files from the terminal.

You can either enable display of hidden files in file manager, or enter the path manually (Thunar, Nautilus and Konqueror all support Ctrl-L shortcut). You can also enter
code:
gedit ~/.purple/accels &
exit
on the command line. When you start anything in a terminal (in background or not), DO NOT CLOSE THE TERMINAL WHILE THE PROGRAM IS RUNNING. Type "exit" or Ctrl-D in the terminal to exit from shell, and terminal window will close without terminating anything running in background. Otherwise shell, and everything running in it will get the "hangup" signal that usually means emergency exit.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
A year or so ago I reformatted Windows but I never bothered to install Flash when prompted. Eventually I grew to love the web without Flash. For the few sites that I absolutely needed Flash (ie YouTube), I used IETab to load the site in Internet Explorer. Does anyone know of any kind of any techniques I could use to replicate this set up?

I want to divorce Flash from Firefox as much as possible. The obvious answer is, of course, to use Flashblock, but I found it to be lacking. First, when I did use Flashblock, I noticed that I often so the first frame of a Flash movie before it was blocked. I don't want that to happen. Second, I don't like the way Flashblock's windows would show up all over the place, often breaking the page layout. When Flash isn't installed at all, things "feel" much cleaner. Plus I've gotten used to the yellow bar at the top that lets me know I might be missing something interesting.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
I've just put Ubuntu Gutsy onto my Dell Inspiron 6400, and things went well. One thing that i've noticed is the cooling fan that activated intermittently no longer does, and things are getting quite hot!

Is there any software out there that could control the internal fan? Even if it was as basic as forcing the fan to turn on/off. It doesnt need to be controlled by temperatures or anything.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Kobayashi posted:

A year or so ago I reformatted Windows but I never bothered to install Flash when prompted. Eventually I grew to love the web without Flash. For the few sites that I absolutely needed Flash (ie YouTube), I used IETab to load the site in Internet Explorer. Does anyone know of any kind of any techniques I could use to replicate this set up?

I want to divorce Flash from Firefox as much as possible. The obvious answer is, of course, to use Flashblock, but I found it to be lacking. First, when I did use Flashblock, I noticed that I often so the first frame of a Flash movie before it was blocked. I don't want that to happen. Second, I don't like the way Flashblock's windows would show up all over the place, often breaking the page layout. When Flash isn't installed at all, things "feel" much cleaner. Plus I've gotten used to the yellow bar at the top that lets me know I might be missing something interesting.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Umm... uninstall Flash... Or

code:
sudo rm /etc/alternatives/mozilla-flashplugin
To enable it again

code:
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so /etc/alternatives/mozilla-flashplugin

Local Yokel
Mar 16, 2005

If the moonshine don't kill me, I'll live 'till I die.
I've downloaded Ubuntu 7.10 onto my mac, and have the complete disk image.

I don't know how I can burn an install disc from that, and that's exactly what I want to do so that I can install it onto my media pc that is currently running Dapper Drake.

Can someone tell me what steps to take?

DevastatorIIC
Nov 13, 2006

Dvorak- Ubuntu- KDE- and Opera-fag

Local Yokel posted:

burn an install disc from that

Right/option click it, open it with disk utility, select it, then click burn in the upper left.

Local Yokel
Mar 16, 2005

If the moonshine don't kill me, I'll live 'till I die.
Thanks a lot, it's burning right now.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
I've tried googling for this and can't find it...

In a bash script, how do I print a line break?

Doing

echo "bla\nnew line" prints the \n literally, rather than as a linebreak. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT::: duh, I had to give the -e option to echo

ashgromnies fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 22, 2007

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

ashgromnies posted:

I've tried googling for this and can't find it...

In a bash script, how do I print a line break?

Doing

echo "bla\nnew line" prints the \n literally, rather than as a linebreak. What am I doing wrong?

You didn't look very hard at all. The -e option is on the very first page of "man echo"

Please at least make a little effort before asking for help.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Accipiter posted:

You didn't look very hard at all. The -e option is on the very first page of "man echo"

Please at least make a little effort before asking for help.

To be honest, checking the manpage didn't click with me. I usually do that but for some reason didn't think, "Maybe echo has a manpage..."

I didn't even know echo had options.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

teapot posted:

Umm... uninstall Flash... Or

code:
sudo rm /etc/alternatives/mozilla-flashplugin
To enable it again

code:
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so /etc/alternatives/mozilla-flashplugin

You know, that's actually good enough. I have another browser I can that I can use if I need Flash. Only problem is, I removed the symlink but Firefox still loads the Flash player. It shows up in about :plugins, but I can't find any way to disable it in about :config or the addons dialog. I wanted Flash installed, just not in Firefox.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Kobayashi posted:

You know, that's actually good enough. I have another browser I can that I can use if I need Flash. Only problem is, I removed the symlink but Firefox still loads the Flash player. It shows up in about :plugins, but I can't find any way to disable it in about :config or the addons dialog. I wanted Flash installed, just not in Firefox.

Sorry, did not notice that firefox uses its own link.

To disable:
code:
sudo rm /etc/alternatives/firefox-flashplugin
To re-enable:
code:
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so /etc/alternatives/firefox-flashplugin

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I am pretty sure you can set up a separate firefox profile with its own plugins directory somewhere in your homedir, in which you can link the flash plugin, while not having it in the global plugin directories.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ok, things are going pretty well so far, just a few questions:

Occasionally, with Gnome, this will happen to the active window's titlebar:

It just takes alt-tabbing to a different window to clear it up, but it's kind of annoying.

How can I have more detailed control over what visual effects Gnome/compiz-fusion is putting out? I'd rather not have these wobbly windows.

Is there a way to move backwards through the alt-tab thing? In XP I could use shift+alt+tab for that.

hooah fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 22, 2007

Crush
Jan 18, 2004

hooah posted:

Ok, things are going pretty well so far, just a few questions:

Occasionally, with Gnome, this will happen to the active window's titlebar:

It just takes alt-tabbing to a different window to clear it up, but it's kind of annoying.

How can I have more detailed control over what visual effects Gnome/compiz-fusion is putting out? I'd rather not have these wobbly windows.

Is there a way to move backwards through the alt-tab thing? In XP I could use shift+alt+tab for that.

There are several threads about this on the Ubuntu forums. It seems to only be happening to nvidia card users, but that doesn't mean it is exclusive to them.

As far as going backward in the Alt+Tab order, just install the 'Advanced Desktop Effects' tool to modify key bindings.

This is of course assuming you are using Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Crush posted:

As far as going backward in the Alt+Tab order, just install the 'Advanced Desktop Effects' tool to modify key bindings.

This is of course assuming you are using Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10.

Found what I was looking for. However, the window switcher plugin won't let me bind shift+alt+tab.

hooah fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 23, 2007

Crush
Jan 18, 2004

hooah posted:

Found what I was looking for. However, the window switcher plugin won't let me bind shift+alt+tab.

You found a solution to the title bar problem? Also, try going to the 'Action' tab for whatever plugin you want to modify binds for and double click on the specific action you want to edit and use something like <Control><Alt>Tab, etc.

Edit: A thread I and someone else contributed to trying to help with the matter:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=580116

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Crush posted:

You found a solution to the title bar problem? Also, try going to the 'Action' tab for whatever plugin you want to modify binds for and double click on the specific action you want to edit and use something like <Control><Alt>Tab, etc.

Edit: A thread I and someone else contributed to trying to help with the matter:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=580116

Nah, I meant I found out where to change the visual effects. It seems that the settings manager doesn't want to accept any multi-key hotkey that includes tab. This sucks.

Crush
Jan 18, 2004

hooah posted:

Nah, I meant I found out where to change the visual effects. It seems that the settings manager doesn't want to accept any multi-key hotkey that includes tab. This sucks.

Did you check out the link I showed you?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Crush posted:

Did you check out the link I showed you?

Yup, but they just seemed to be searching for pre-defined hotkeys, rather than changing ones.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

hooah posted:

Works fine for me -- as long as you don't have another plugin with the same bindings (there are at least three switching plugins in compiz fusion).

Crush
Jan 18, 2004

hooah posted:

Yup, but they just seemed to be searching for pre-defined hotkeys, rather than changing ones.

I outlined in that post (my name is Crush here and DasCruhsinator there) exactly how to change them.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

teapot posted:

Sorry, did not notice that firefox uses its own link.

To disable:
code:
sudo rm /etc/alternatives/firefox-flashplugin
To re-enable:
code:
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so /etc/alternatives/firefox-flashplugin

Thanks for another great tip, teapot.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Crush posted:

I outlined in that post (my name is Crush here and DasCruhsinator there) exactly how to change them.

Wow. I missed exactly where to double-click. I was trying to change the hotkey right where it's listed in the tab. Thanks for being patient.

Crush
Jan 18, 2004

hooah posted:

Wow. I missed exactly where to double-click. I was trying to change the hotkey right where it's listed in the tab. Thanks for being patient.

No problem. I assume it worked for you then? Also, what sort of video card do you have?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Crush posted:

No problem. I assume it worked for you then? Also, what sort of video card do you have?

Works fine. I've got a nVidia 6800GS.

Crush
Jan 18, 2004

hooah posted:

Works fine. I've got a nVidia 6800GS.

Yeah, so I am guessing the title bar problem we are having has something to do with nvidia drivers then :(

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Crush posted:

Yeah, so I am guessing the title bar problem we are having has something to do with nvidia drivers then :(

Interestingly, it hasn't happened since I changed the window borders to the GSM theme. Odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crush
Jan 18, 2004

hooah posted:

Interestingly, it hasn't happened since I changed the window borders to the GSM theme. Odd.

Care to elaborate?