Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Karma Guard posted:

They believe that all those gods are really just Epic level PCs. Or something.

Isn't this actually literally true in a couple of cases?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Vecna and St. Cuthbert in Greyhawk, Mystra, Cyric, and Kelemvor in FR. That's all I can think of at the moment.

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb
This last comic was one of the best he's ever done, its in the top 5.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."

Karma Guard posted:

There's a whole faction of people in Sigil who are basically Atheists (the Athar?). They believe that all those gods are really just Epic level PCs. Or something.

They're not atheist they're agnostic. They know the gods exist they just don't believe they're worthy of worship. It's kind of impossible to be an atheist in Planescape, walking to the farmers market in Sigil you'll probably bump into one or two minor gods.

Altamir
Aug 8, 2007
It's all my fault!

Halloween Jack posted:

Vecna and St. Cuthbert in Greyhawk, Mystra, Cyric, and Kelemvor in FR. That's all I can think of at the moment.

Zagig Yragerne aka Zagyg, in Greyhawk, also ascended to Godhood, and went about it the hard way. Nothing like having to capture nine different demi-gods of the nine different alignments to prove your neutrality.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Altamir posted:

Zagig Yragerne aka Zagyg, in Greyhawk, also ascended to Godhood, and went about it the hard way. Nothing like having to capture nine different demi-gods of the nine different alignments to prove your neutrality.

Not just demigods; I believe one of them was Heironeous.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head with an iron boot?

Halloween Jack posted:

Roy says it wasn't his job "to watch the grown-up," implying that the death was indeed the result of something Eugene was doing.

I'm not so sure about that. The only action Roy specifically attributes to his dad is shushing Roy. It's possible that the accident was caused by a grown-up other than Eugene, and Eugene just didn't stop it or listen to Roy's concerns about safety.

Eckertmania
May 11, 2007

"'Hey, a computer took your place, daddy.' That's hard times! That's hard times!"

Idran posted:

Not just demigods; I believe one of them was Heironeous.

I thought one was Iuz.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Vanadium posted:

There is also the various barrable wizard schools and dozens of prestige classes with their own spelllike abilities, and druids who do not need to worship a concrete deity to cast divine spells, and psionics, and probably a bunch of gimmicks I am not even aware of that also have access to different sets of spells. For all my atheist character would know, clerics just tap into yet another non-sentient extraplanar energy source that just happens to manifest itself through other spells than arcane magic. :)

Not to mention that you can be an atheist cleric. I did that in a Ravenloft campaign. I can't remember the name of it, but there's a whole church based around the idea that the Gods aren't real and that anyone can do what those so-called "faithful" can, and since Belief Makes Right, they actually can do it. It's pretty awesome, especially since there was a cleric of the Morninglord in the party.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Karma Guard posted:

There's a whole faction of people in Sigil who are basically Atheists (the Athar?). They believe that all those gods are really just Epic level PCs. Or something.
Erikson's "Malazan" books have the same idea going on; the "gods" used to be mortals, they just amassed so much magic power over their lives that they've become godlike beings.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

The Red Knight in FR.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Karma Guard posted:

That is actually, and I already regret that I am about to type this seriously, one of the most fascinating things that Dungeons & Dragons in general has introduced to the idea of divinity. They occasionally trace the exploits of their deities back to a time when they were mortals, making one wonder just exactly at what point it becomes acceptable to start worshipping someone just because that person has gained a sufficient amount of power.

No, Firefox, "worshipping" is not loving misspelled.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Eckertmania posted:

I thought one was Iuz.

Iuz is a demigod, but yep. He was actually held in Castle Greyhawk for about a century after that, until Mordenkainen arranged things to have him "accidentally" released, for the sake of upholding the balance on Oerth.

And if we're naming gods that are technically Epic Level PCs, there's also Murlynd, Keoghtom, Heward, and Kelanen in Greyhawk. Murlynd's one of my favorites, a world-hopping cowboy, paladin-mage, and god of inventions. And also he created an endless food spoon for some reason. Used to pop back and forth between Oerth, Boot Hill, and I think Gamma World and Top Secret back in the original 1e days.

St. Cuthbert is a true god, though. Or, rather, logically he would have been a mortal at some time from the whole Saint part of his name, but it was so far back in history that I've never seen a solid reference to it, so for all intents and purposes nowadays he is a full outright god.

(Yeah, he's named after an actual real-life saint, but in terms of his Oerthian incarnation he's been divine for at least a thousand years or so.)

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Halloween Jack posted:

Additionally, Velsharoon, Myrkul, Torm and Bhaal.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Chem-Comando posted:

Additionally, Velsharoon, Myrkul, Torm and Bhaal.

And Cyric. Although he was raised to the power of a god rather than actually accumulating power, I guess.
Could a PC surpass the power of Ao, the overgod? Or is Ao only considered a god in Forgotten Realms? It's a little confusing if that's the case, having a single overarching supergod that somehow only covers one plane of existance.

But I don't understand being an Atheist in a D&D world either - if I went to a church in reality and the Vicar was casting healing spells and summoning divine hammers I would probably decide gods were real. I understand wizards and the like do it, but there are no wizards (at least in FR) that can heal the sick.

Taear fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 22, 2007

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Taear posted:

But I don't understand being an Atheist in a D&D world either - if I went to a church in reality and the Vicar was casting healing spells and summoning divine hammers I would probably decide gods were real. I understand wizards and the like do it, but there are no wizards (at least in FR) that can heal the sick.

Druids can. And even if not, so what? So they are capable of using different spells than wizards. How does that prove that gods exist?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Taear posted:

Could a PC surpass the power of Ao, the overgod? Or is Ao only considered a god in Forgotten Realms? It's a little confusing if that's the case, having a single overarching supergod that somehow only covers one plane of existance.

I think Ao has a divine rank of 25, and there isn't a whole lot that's stronger than that. Theoretically (:downs:) though, theres no reason why not. Just make sure your PC can cast 9th level spells and is immortal. Then build your own plane of existence, build some creatures to populate it, and toss a comet at them every so often to keep them faithful. It's easy going from then on out.

Should only take some 100,000 years.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Vanadium posted:

Druids can. And even if not, so what? So they are capable of using different spells than wizards. How does that prove that gods exist?

Druids are required to worship a god in forgotten realms though, a god with nature domains if I remember correctly. Hooray for Malarites!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Vanadium posted:

Because during the Time of Troubles, there was no clerical magic. Therefore without the gods you cannot heal the sick.
Seems pretty logical to me, honestly. The gods got incarnated as humans and Divine Magic went away. The gods went back to being gods, and it came back.

Therefore gods exist.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
My Ranger can cast a couple of heal spells, she doesn't worship crap. Or did the time of troubles effect them too?

In any event, I guess I'd better go see a psychometabolist.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
And that logic works perfectly for the Forgotten Realms, but remember that the Realms are hardly the only DnD world. Proving to your average Ravenlofter or home-brewed campaigner that the Gods exist could be much more difficult.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

bgaesop posted:

And that logic works perfectly for the Forgotten Realms, but remember that the Realms are hardly the only DnD world.

Ha, tell that to Wizards of the coast please.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

greatn posted:

Ha, tell that to Wizards of the coast please.
EBERRON IS THE ONE TRUE SETTING! :black101:

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Jonked posted:

EBERRON IS THE ONE TRUE SETTING! :black101:

They took back the license for Dragonlance, for some reason. I hope that's a good sign.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Now I need a drink. Not this one. Another one. And in a different place.
Pfft. Actual settings. Homebrew is the way to go. Premade settings is dildoes.

What? I had a lot of fun making my gaming world.. :shobon:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well, we do Planescape, but the majority of places we go are homebrew.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY
I'm a big fan of Ravenloft, not the biggest fan of the way White Wolf handled it, but a big fan of the idea. I homebrew it for a RL game I run.
Travel through the mists and trade between darklords? yeah, not happening.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

terminal mehmet posted:

They took back the license for Dragonlance, for some reason. I hope that's a good sign.

What does this mean? Took back the license? Oh, I suppose they just must have licensed it out to someone, unbeknownst to me, and are now going to work with it again. When did that happen?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Quarex posted:

What does this mean? Took back the license? Oh, I suppose they just must have licensed it out to someone, unbeknownst to me, and are now going to work with it again. When did that happen?
Wizards licensed Dragonlance to Sovereign press, Margaret Weis' publishing company. Sovereign press put together all of the new D20 Dragonlance books and then published them through Wizard. I guess Wizard decided to take the property back in-house.

Also they released Expedition to Castle Ravenloft as a new adventure, as God intended, not a full blown campaign setting.

Volga Boatman
Sep 22, 2006

By striving to do the impossible, man has always achieved what is possible

Schwarzwald posted:

I think Ao has a divine rank of 25, and there isn't a whole lot that's stronger than that. Theoretically (:downs:) though, theres no reason why not. Just make sure your PC can cast 9th level spells and is immortal. Then build your own plane of existence, build some creatures to populate it, and toss a comet at them every so often to keep them faithful. It's easy going from then on out.

Should only take some 100,000 years.
I'm pretty sure that Ao is actually omnipotent and can strip even greater powers (in realmspace) of their powers by willing it so, so it'd be pretty silly to have existing stats for him.

Nobody tell me that some newfangled book actually lists his stats, please! :(

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Someone once told me that Ao (and the High God in Dragonlance) are just representations of the DM. I'm cool with that.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Volga Boatman posted:

I'm pretty sure that Ao is actually omnipotent and can strip even greater powers (in realmspace) of their powers by willing it so, so it'd be pretty silly to have existing stats for him.

Nobody tell me that some newfangled book actually lists his stats, please! :(

Wasn't it alluded to that Ao is actually working for an even more powerful god in one of the lovely novels I read as a kid? Most likely immediately after Kelemvor was raised to godhood.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

greatn posted:

My Ranger can cast a couple of heal spells, she doesn't worship crap. Or did the time of troubles effect them too?

In any event, I guess I'd better go see a psychometabolist.

And your ranger cannot cast a goddamn thing unless she worships a nature god. All casters of divine spells in forgotten realms require a god to grant them, mister. That includes druids and rangers :colbert: I have no idea how I remember this dumb poo poo though.

Volga Boatman
Sep 22, 2006

Chem-Comando posted:

Wasn't it alluded to that Ao is actually working for an even more powerful god in one of the lovely novels I read as a kid? Most likely immediately after Kelemvor was raised to godhood.
The silver guy? I'm almost certain that that's supposed to be either the DM or Ed Greenwood.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Chem-Comando posted:

That was at the end of The Avatar Trilogy.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Taear posted:

Because during the Time of Troubles, there was no clerical magic. Therefore without the gods you cannot heal the sick.
Seems pretty logical to me, honestly. The gods got incarnated as humans and Divine Magic went away. The gods went back to being gods, and it came back.

Therefore gods exist.

Correlation =/= causation :downsowned:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Chem-Comando posted:

And your ranger cannot cast a goddamn thing unless she worships a nature god. All casters of divine spells in forgotten realms require a god to grant them, mister. That includes druids and rangers :colbert: I have no idea how I remember this dumb poo poo though.

My ranger lives on loving Athas, ain't no gods there.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I'm half sorry that I said anything, and half pleased that I set off the latest bout of nerd debate in this thread.

Volga Boatman
Sep 22, 2006

greatn posted:

My ranger lives on loving Athas, ain't no gods there.
...but don't let the sorcerer kings hear you saying that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

New strip up.