Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

terminal mehmet posted:

New strip up.

And after getting my hopes up from 14 new replies in one day, good timing :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

It has been entirely too long since we got a random "make fun of standard D&D campaigns" joke!

How many more of Roy's family members are going to show up? So many generations are potentially able to pop up and offer sage advice!

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE
Oh man and Roy's granddad with the :iceburn:

You know even with the random D&D joke thrown in I think Roy meeting with a real father figure is just sweet.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Haha, that was a great one. Roy has a point though, can he be killed in that form, since he is already dead and all?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Quarex posted:

It has been entirely too long since we got a random "make fun of standard D&D campaigns" joke!

How many more of Roy's family members are going to show up? So many generations are potentially able to pop up and offer sage advice!

Roy's granddad is the newest addition to my favorite characters list.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
You wouldn't think green dragons would be all that tough in a place called reddragonsville. Also the man raised Roy's father so there's every possibility he's a lousy father figure too.

Edit: Did they just make Azure City out of blocks?

Soylentbits fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 23, 2007

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Soylentbits posted:

You wouldn't think green dragons would be all that tough in a place called reddragonsville. Also the man raised Roy's father so there's every possibility he's a lousy father figure too.

Edit: Did they just make Azure City out of blocks?

I'd say a green dragon would have to be pretty tough to survive in the mean streets of Reddragonsville.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."
Yeah, kinda like that like that black dude from Belfast in the Kitchen Irish Punisher arc.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Rincewind posted:

I'd say a green dragon would have to be pretty tough to survive in the mean streets of Reddragonsville.

Yeah you'd be all decked out in fire resistant gear and WHOAH a green dragon run!

This strip was great, my brain froze up when the evil adventuring party shifted in and I was just :wtc:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Soylentbits posted:

Also the man raised Roy's father so there's every possibility he's a lousy father figure too.

In On the Origin of PCs, Eugene makes it sound like Horace tried to connect with Eugene, but simply didn't understand him. There's a bit where Horace wants to go fishing, but Eugene would rather read a book.

Nosy_G
May 6, 2007

Olanphonia posted:

Haha, that was a great one. Roy has a point though, can he be killed in that form, since he is already dead and all?

Judging from the 3rd-from-last panel, where the sword seemingly goes through Roy, I'd imagine no.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Nosy_G posted:

Judging from the 3rd-from-last panel, where the sword seemingly goes through Roy, I'd imagine no.

I think the evil warrior missed.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Pope Guilty posted:

I think the evil warrior missed.

Yeah, considering all the bad guys are defeated with a single attack, it is probably save to say that the dead guys outlevel them significantly and Roy's AC is just too high.

So, uh, Roy does not have a constitution score anymore, does he?

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

vanadium posted:

Yeah, considering all the bad guys are defeated with a single attack, it is probably save to say that the dead guys outlevel them significantly and Roy's AC is just too high.

So, uh, Roy does not have a constitution score anymore, does he?

Either that or he gets some kind of incorporeal bonus, isn't it 50% against non-ghost touch weapons?

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Affi posted:

Yeah you'd be all decked out in fire resistant gear and WHOAH a green dragon run!

So if red dragon = fire, green dragon = acid? Earth? Something else?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Red_Mage posted:

Either that or he gets some kind of incorporeal bonus, isn't it 50% against non-ghost touch weapons?

That only counts when the ethereal creature is on the ethereal plane and the attacker is on the PMP. On the ethereal plane, you can whack monsters all day long with your regular weapons.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

PFlats posted:

So if red dragon = fire, green dragon = acid? Earth? Something else?

Gas.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
And for the three other chromatic dragons:

Blue - Lightning
Black - Acid
White - Ice

Did I miss one?

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Idran posted:

Blue - Lightning
Black - Acid
White - Ice

Did I miss one?
Orange - Explosive Oil
Purple - "Energy"

Dragon Compendium was pretty stupid.

Samedi
Aug 26, 2003

I turn evil.
I always lumped the metallic dragons in with the chromatics. I figure everything else is just overkill except maybe for unnatural dragons like Dracoliches. Course, the metallics have the same breath as the chromatics so I guess they're superfluous too.

Gold - Fire
Silver - Ice
Bronze - Lightning

I never really liked the idea (and this came up way back when in OOTS) that dragons almost all have alignment conforming to color. Considering how intelligent they are, you'd think dragons could be whatever they wanted to. I prefer the idea of them being more ancient and alien than necessarily good or evil.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Roy and Eric putting the final touches on their toy-block cathedral is just about the most :unsmith: moment ever.

Also, the hits just keep on comin' for Eugene Greenhilt.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Idran posted:

Blue - Lightning
Black - Acid
White - Ice

Did I miss one?

Pink - Heart

I seriously want to use the idea of a Heart Dragon now.

Samedi posted:

I never really liked the idea (and this came up way back when in OOTS) that dragons almost all have alignment conforming to color. Considering how intelligent they are, you'd think dragons could be whatever they wanted to. I prefer the idea of them being more ancient and alien than necessarily good or evil.

I've always figured that if I ended up running a D&D campaign, I'd have the dragon color alignments be public knowledge - the kind of information that gets passed around in bars as fact. Eventually the players would discover, ha ha, no, it's just a big joke the dragons play on humans. I mean, come on. Morals determined solely by what color your skin is? What kind of a moron would believe that!

I was planning to treat the player books as sort of a "Hareld's Guyde to Adventering! 25c" - technically accurate in many places, but riddled with flaws, false information, and completely missing segments.

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb

ZorbaTHut posted:

Pink - Heart

I seriously want to use the idea of a Heart Dragon now.

I've always figured that if I ended up running a D&D campaign, I'd have the dragon color alignments be public knowledge - the kind of information that gets passed around in bars as fact. Eventually the players would discover, ha ha, no, it's just a big joke the dragons play on humans. I mean, come on. Morals determined solely by what color your skin is? What kind of a moron would believe that!

I was planning to treat the player books as sort of a "Hareld's Guyde to Adventering! 25c" - technically accurate in many places, but riddled with flaws, false information, and completely missing segments.

Thats a great idea. You should patent it.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

Question: Given that Roy now knows how awesome LG Heaven is, and that all his loved ones are indeed waiting for him up there, would he change his character class to Paladin in his inevitable return to the mortal world? I would think that even for someone as big a cynic as him that this would be proof positive to stay on the straight and narrow, and to become a big ol' champion of goodness and law.

Regarding the dragons, I think I read somewhere about them making Chromatic and Metallic as well as GEM dragons. That just reeks of stupidity.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

sansuki posted:

Question: Given that Roy now knows how awesome LG Heaven is, and that all his loved ones are indeed waiting for him up there, would he change his character class to Paladin in his inevitable return to the mortal world? I would think that even for someone as big a cynic as him that this would be proof positive to stay on the straight and narrow, and to become a big ol' champion of goodness and law.

There's plenty of LG warriors out there. Being a paladin is the apex of being LG. All those bits about how he associates with Belkar and isn't perfectly Lawful that came up in the entrance review? None of that poo poo flies for a Paladin. A Paladin is someone for whom it isn't enough to try.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

Pope Guilty posted:

There's plenty of LG warriors out there. Being a paladin is the apex of being LG. All those bits about how he associates with Belkar and isn't perfectly Lawful that came up in the entrance review? None of that poo poo flies for a Paladin. A Paladin is someone for whom it isn't enough to try.

And do you know how many punchlines he'd lose out on?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Pretty sure that being a Paladin also requires a commitment of faith to a particular god, as well. Roy is Lawful Good and everything, but he has never struck me as being particularly devout or even dedicated to a particular God. I don't know if there are Paladins of non-specific goodness.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

sansuki posted:

Regarding the dragons, I think I read somewhere about them making Chromatic and Metallic as well as GEM dragons. That just reeks of stupidity.

Gem dragons are MM2 and added to be the "Psionic" dragon aspects. They stink to high heaven of stupid.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

sansuki posted:

I think it's going to complicate his decision as to whether or not he goes back, but I doubt it'll change his outlook once he gets there, aside from maybe complicating his deal with Belkar.

What I'm really hoping doesn't happen, and I mean this out of concern for the character and the metaphorical groin kick that it would involve, is that Roy proceeds to bollocks up his alignment somehow upon his return and loses his shot at LG heaven.

Volga Boatman
Sep 22, 2006

By striving to do the impossible, man has always achieved what is possible

ZorbaTHut posted:

Have you ever read Volo's Guide to _____ books? Because they're pretty much exactly like that for Forgotten Realms.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I want to see Burlew's take on ALL the alignment heavens.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I doubt Roy will do any class changing from this, but I wouldn't be surprised if his ancestral sword ended up powered up a bit more. I have no idea how it would work, but it seems like there would be something there with a blessing from the original owner of the sword or something.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Red_Mage posted:

Gem dragons are MM2 and added to be the "Psionic" dragon aspects. They stink to high heaven of stupid.

Converted. They were from the 2e Monstrous Manual. And not just the psionic dragons, but also the neutral ones.

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006
Just one spray keeps bad karma away!

Ashcans posted:

Pretty sure that being a Paladin also requires a commitment of faith to a particular god, as well. Roy is Lawful Good and everything, but he has never struck me as being particularly devout or even dedicated to a particular God. I don't know if there are Paladins of non-specific goodness.

You can be an Ethos Paladin or Cleric; dedicated not to a specific god, but to a specific ideal. Or you can even be dedicated to a plane itself; there are special automagic domains for that too! :v:

Now, being a specific god's Paladin gives you some sweet perks, such as access to their Prestige Classes and support from their various churches, but it's not necessary.

Anomalous
Jun 27, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Ashcans posted:

From the Player's Handbook (ugh god im gay):

quote:

A paladin need not devote herself to a single deity- devotion to righteousness is enough.

I think it's witchcraft that as much as I enjoy Belkar and Elan's plotlines, I have had no problem with Roy's romps through the planes of the lawful dead since the return from Rich's break.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Anomalous posted:

From the Player's Handbook (ugh god im gay):

If this thread has taught me anything at all, its that I really don't know very much about DnD at all! Im not entirely sure if I should be happy or sad about that.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
This is actually probably my favorite strip ever. Or at least it is right now. It might not be after the "OH MAN JUST THINK OF WHAT THIS COULD MEAN" aspect wears off. It is still funny and poignant and awesome, too, of course. But we expect that.

Edit: Also, my favorite part is that they really DID go fishing. I thought that was just going to be a continuation of the joke about how Roy's dad did not want to go fishing with his own father.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
I was THIS close to posting how "Man I bet Burlow is going to explain next strip why Roy doesn't have his sword while his grandfather does" and then BOOM first panel, right there :aaa:

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Oh god, I did not see that one coming. I'm actually starting to wonder if Roy is coming back. Does a Resurrection spell have a time limit or heal any rotting a body goes through?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Oh god, I did not see that one coming. I'm actually starting to wonder if Roy is coming back. Does a Resurrection spell have a time limit or heal any rotting a body goes through?

Yes, it's based on the level of the cleric I think. Although there's a few different resurrection spells and they have different limitations.