Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Crush posted:

Care to elaborate?

Okay. System -> Preferences -> Appearance, then click on "Customize..." then click on the center tab (Window Border) and choose whatever you want.

Of course, it might still be doing this without me noticing, since the glitch put a gray swath across the titlebar, and the GSM theme is gray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.

hooah posted:

Okay. System -> Preferences -> Appearance, then click on "Customize..." then click on the center tab (Window Border) and choose whatever you want.

Of course, it might still be doing this without me noticing, since the glitch put a gray swath across the titlebar, and the GSM theme is gray.

Gotcha, thanks.

brae
Feb 2, 2006
Here's a somewhat random one. I want to generate a list of all the files under the current directory sorted by their modification time, oldest to newest. I searched around for a utility or some option to ls to do this, but nothing quite did what I want. ls has an option to sort by mtime, but if you run ls recursively over directories, it does this sorting per-directory, and not on the total set of files as a whole.

Here's what I came up with using pipe-foo and it works:

code:
$ find . -type f -exec stat -f '%m %N' {} \; | sort | awk '{print $2}'
But I can't help but think there might be a simpler way. Oh, and I'd rather do it in shell than a scripting language.

Anyone got any better methods?

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

brae posted:

Not really but with GNU find you can at least eliminate the -exec by using -printf, which should cut down execution time:

Something like
code:
find . -type f -printf "%T@ %f\n"

brae
Feb 2, 2006

Neslepaks posted:

Not really but with GNU find you can at least eliminate the -exec by using -printf, which should cut down execution time:

Something like
code:

Ah, nice tip. Unfortunately, right now I'm on OS X which is BSD-style find.

DevastatorIIC
Nov 13, 2006

Dvorak- Ubuntu- KDE- and Opera-fag

brae posted:

Here's a somewhat random one. I want to generate a list of all the files under the current directory sorted by their modification time, oldest to newest. I searched around for a utility or some option to ls to do this, but nothing quite did what I want. ls has an option to sort by mtime, but if you run ls recursively over directories, it does this sorting per-directory, and not on the total set of files as a whole.

Here's what I came up with using pipe-foo and it works:

code:
$ find . -type f -exec stat -f '%m %N' {} \; | sort | awk '{print $2}'
But I can't help but think there might be a simpler way. Oh, and I'd rather do it in shell than a scripting language.

Your line didn't work for me

code:
find . -type f -exec ls -lc {} \; | awk '{print $6 " " $7 " " $8 }' | sort -n
That looks relatively simple to me. And how do you mean, in shell versus scripting language? Bash? Bash is a scripting language.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Neslepaks posted:

Something like
code:

Alternatively, -printf "%T+ %h%f\n" for more readable time, and directories for the files.

brae
Feb 2, 2006

DevastatorIIC posted:

That looks relatively simple to me. And how do you mean, in shell versus scripting language? Bash? Bash is a scripting language.

I meant in bash/sh as opposed to something in Perl/Python/Ruby/etc.

Also, doesn't ls -lc produce readable dates like:
code:
Oct 22 21:39
in which case your sort will put "Jan" after "Apr", i.e., alphabetical by month name, and not date-wise?

brae fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 23, 2007

DevastatorIIC
Nov 13, 2006

Dvorak- Ubuntu- KDE- and Opera-fag

brae posted:

I meant in bash/sh as opposed to something in Perl/Python/Ruby/etc.

Also, doesn't ls -lc produce readable dates like:
code:
Oct 22 21:39
in which case your sort will put "Jan" after "Apr", i.e., alphabetical by month name, and not date-wise?

$ ls -lc | awk '{print $6 " " $7 " " $8 }' | sort -n

2007-10-21 01:03 comics/
2007-10-21 01:05 download.sh*
2007-10-21 15:00 qc.tar

Probably a difference between OSX and Ubuntu.

wunderbread384
Jun 24, 2004
America's favorite bread
For some reason, on a fresh install of Gusty my Windows key isn't acting as a modifier, it's acting as an actual key. When I go to Keyboard Shortcuts in the preferences menu, and try to change lock screen to Windows+L, as soon as I press the windows key it says "Super R" right away and doesn't give me the chance to hit another key (the 'L').

If I leave it like that, just pressing the right windows key locks my screen.

Anybody know what's going on here?

Edit: I don't know what was happening, but changing the Windows key mappings from Super to Mod4 fixed it.

wunderbread384 fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 23, 2007

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

For whatever reason I can't get my 5 button Intellimouse to work properly in Kubuntu 7.10. I can't get the shoulder buttons to respond properly as forward/back buttons in Firefox. This is what I tried using in xorg.conf:
code:
Section "InputDevice"
 Identifier "Configured Mouse"
 Driver "mouse"
 Option "CorePointer"
 Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
 Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
 Option "Buttons" "7"
 Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
 Option "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 6 7"
 EndSection
I had a similar setup for 7.04 and it worked flawlessly, so I'm not sure what gives.

edit: nevermind, all it needed was a reboot v:shobon:v

shyduck fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 23, 2007

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

shyguy posted:

For whatever reason I can't get my 5 button Intellimouse to work properly in Kubuntu 7.10. I can't get the shoulder buttons to respond properly as forward/back buttons in Firefox. This is what I tried using in xorg.conf:
code:
Section "InputDevice"
 Identifier "Configured Mouse"
 Driver "mouse"
 Option "CorePointer"
 Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
 Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
 Option "Buttons" "7"
 Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
 Option "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 6 7"
 EndSection
I had a similar setup for 7.04 and it worked flawlessly, so I'm not sure what gives.

edit: nevermind, all it needed was a reboot v:shobon:v

Would something like this work for Logitech mice? I poked around in the Ubuntu forums a little looking for Logitech mouse support, but couldn't find anything for my specific mouse, the MX-620.

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.

hooah posted:

Would something like this work for Logitech mice? I poked around in the Ubuntu forums a little looking for Logitech mouse support, but couldn't find anything for my specific mouse, the MX-620.

code:
Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"CorePointer"
	Option		"Device"	"/dev/input/mice"
	Option		"Protocol"	"ExplorerPS/2"
	Option		"ZAxisMapping"	"4 5"
	Option		"ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 6 7"
	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"true"
That's what I have setup for my MX518 (or something like that). Works fine for Firefox backwards/forwards.

dorkface
Dec 27, 2005
Is there any way to disable the right key in grub? I find it frustrating when I want to go to another operating system, and instead of going to windows XP, grub desides I'd rather test my RAM.

DMLou
May 17, 2004
Dragonmaster Lou
I'm thinking about monkeying around with Compiz in Ubuntu Gutsy using the open source ATI drivers.

Yeah, I know it's not going to be as fast as the proprietary fglrx drivers, but given how those things are still pretty buggy on Gutsy (no suspend/resume, which I need on my ATI laptop), I'm just curious to see how "well" the open source drivers work. It's not like I'm going to be doing any crazy 3D gaming anyway.

Unfortunately, due to dumbassery when upgrading from Feisty, my xorg.conf is a hacked up version of the failsafe version that crops up when X.org doesn't like your xorg.conf (it didn't like my Feisty config). As a result, it says "Desktop Effects could not be enabled" whenever I try to turn any of them on.

There is probably some setting I could put in xorg.conf to get them to work -- I'm just not sure what it is. Thanks.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I can't seem to figure out how to use Wine. I went through the start-up guide and I think I configured it properly (mostly defaults), but when I right-click on an executable and choose "Open with Wine Windows Emulator," nothing happens. There's a vino instance running that I found with the top command, but it never actually starts the Windows program.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Yet beyond each tree there are only more trees.

hooah posted:

I can't seem to figure out how to use Wine. I went through the start-up guide and I think I configured it properly (mostly defaults), but when I right-click on an executable and choose "Open with Wine Windows Emulator," nothing happens. There's a vino instance running that I found with the top command, but it never actually starts the Windows program.

What happens if you type "wine /full/path/to/windows/executable.exe" at the command line?

minerale
Oct 16, 2007
If anyone says a bad thing, cut the mic. Shut em down. I'm the boss. That's all I got to say.
Here's a good one. I will be impressed if anyone responds to this. I am running Debian GNU/Linux on a Dell Inspiron 1420n. These laptops came with Ubuntu Feisty and I presume that DRI (direct rendering, aka 3d acceleration) was enabled and functioning when it got to me. However, I have since wiped the machine many times.

I want Direct Rendering Interface back.
I am using xorg-xserver-intel as my 2D video driver.
I have agpgart support compiled into my kernel.
I have followed the instructions here to what seems like no avail.

uname -a

quote:

Linux argentum 2.6.21-2-686 #1 SMP Wed Jul 11 03:53:02 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep dri

quote:

(II) LoadModule: "dri"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libdri.so
(II) Module dri: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//intel_drv.so
ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 0.7
(II) Loading sub module "dri"
(II) LoadModule: "dri"
(II) Reloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libdri.so
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
(II) intel(0): [drm] loaded kernel module for "i915" driver
(II) intel(0): [drm] created "i915" driver at busid "pci:0000:00:02.0"
(II) intel(0): [dri] visual configs initialized
(EE) AIGLX error: dlsym for __driCreateNewScreen_20050727 failed (/usr/lib/dri/i965_dri.so: undefined symbol: __driCreateNewScreen_20050727)
(II) Synaptics touchpad driver version 0.14.6 (1406)

If there's anything else that you would like me to paste just ask...

Our main culprit:

(EE) AIGLX error: dlsym for __driCreateNewScreen_20050727 failed

Only appeared after I recompiled MESA and installed it.

Joss Laypeg
Oct 11, 2007
A psychotic is a guy who's just found out what's going on. - WSB

minerale posted:

Our main culprit:

(EE) AIGLX error: dlsym for __driCreateNewScreen_20050727 failed

Only appeared after I recompiled MESA and installed it.

You need to recompile something against the new MESA that you've installed. Maybe just the Intel driver, but probably the whole of Xorg and any client programs that depend on Xorg. You could just try running ldconfig to update the shared library links, but that's almost certainly been done already.

The basic problem is that you're compiling stuff from source on a distro that uses binary packages. You would probably get away with it if it was a simple client program. But anything that uses OpenGL will have been linked to the original install of Mesa and they are now looking for symbols in the wrong place because you didn't use the exact same compiler version and options.

In short, either give up or you're going to end up re-building half the distro from source. And if you succeed in doing that, you're in for a world of hurt the next time you try to use the distro's package management to install or upgrade anything.

minerale
Oct 16, 2007
If anyone says a bad thing, cut the mic. Shut em down. I'm the boss. That's all I got to say.

Reefer Inc. posted:

You need to recompile something against the new MESA that you've installed. Maybe just the Intel driver, but probably the whole of Xorg and any client programs that depend on Xorg. You could just try running ldconfig to update the shared library links, but that's almost certainly been done already.

The basic problem is that you're compiling stuff from source on a distro that uses binary packages. You would probably get away with it if it was a simple client program. But anything that uses OpenGL will have been linked to the original install of Mesa and they are now looking for symbols in the wrong place because you didn't use the exact same compiler version and options.

In short, either give up or you're going to end up re-building half the distro from source. And if you succeed in doing that, you're in for a world of hurt the next time you try to use the distro's package management to install or upgrade anything.

Awesome, thanks for this analysis. This came from Debian Lenny, which uses the APT and DEB formats for package stuff. You would hope that it supported DRI on Santa Rosa with X3100 by now, infact, I know it does. I doubt I have to rebuild xserver-xorg for that to happen.

Should I perhaps switch to Gentoo from Debian for this reason?

Wallin
May 10, 2004
:o
In bash/zsh, using ctrl-r will do an emacs-like reverse search through the history. Is there any way to bring the history back to the most recent item (aside from holding the down arror key down for a minute or so)? Or for that matter do a forward search?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

JoeNotCharles posted:

What happens if you type "wine /full/path/to/windows/executable.exe" at the command line?

Well, here's my path: /media/Windows/Program Files/Finale 2005/FINALE.EXE
The terminal says it can't find "/media/Windows/Program" Does this terminal have the same sort of 8-character limit that the Windows command prompt does?

Edit: Nevermind, after doing a number of dir commands, it seems terminal wants directories that have more than one word to be entered in the form "word1\ word2" Strange.

hooah fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 25, 2007

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

hooah posted:

Edit: Nevermind, after doing a number of dir commands, it seems terminal wants directories that have more than one word to be entered in the form "word1\ word2" Strange.

Tab completion would've solved that, and would've saved you a ton of time.

/me{tab}/W{tab}/Pr{tab}/Fin{tab}/FIN{tab}E{tab}

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

hooah posted:

Well, here's my path: /media/Windows/Program Files/Finale 2005/FINALE.EXE
The terminal says it can't find "/media/Windows/Program" Does this terminal have the same sort of 8-character limit that the Windows command prompt does?

It has nothing to do with terminal and everything with space being a valid command line parameters separator. You can either escape it with \ or include the parameter in single quotes (double quotes are also valid, though you will have problems if the file name contains $).

Terminal does not parse your command line, shell does.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ok, now Wine can't find a .dll that's in the system32 directory, which I've told it to use.

In an unrelated incident, how do I get Firefox to play flash files? I've installed the flash plugin, but I'm still getting big blank boxes where flash stuff's supposed to be. Except for the ads. Those load just fine.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Is it worth it to upgrade to Gutsy? I'm running Feisty right now, and I've got a nice setup with beryl and all kinds of other poo poo that I would rather not have to go through again.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

astr0man posted:

Is it worth it to upgrade to Gutsy? I'm running Feisty right now, and I've got a nice setup with beryl and all kinds of other poo poo that I would rather not have to go through again.

My upgrade was rather flawless, and I had 3v1's compiz-fusion. All I did was remove 3v1's (basically remove 3v1's repository then apt-get install apt-show-versions then apt-show-versions | grep 3v1 and remove compiz/config/plugins then reinstall) then upgrade to gutsy. I actually fixed the 3v1 problem post-upgrade.

Is it worth upgrading? I don't know, Gutsy seems to be a more refined Feisty, way more refined. From big things like smoother driver transitions down to the little details like per-application keyring settings.

Al Azif
Nov 1, 2006

Wallin posted:

In bash/zsh, using ctrl-r will do an emacs-like reverse search through the history. Is there any way to bring the history back to the most recent item (aside from holding the down arror key down for a minute or so)?

Page down should do it.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
I've got a linux/hardware related question.

I've a server that has an uptime of 145days, basically since it was put online, and uses software (md) raid 1.

Recently the load's shot up (30-ish on a P4 machine), a shitton of processes have D or D+ stats and 80% or so of the processes are wa(iting). I figured it was a disk issue so I looked around with SMART at the physical devices after mdadm told me the raid was degraded:

both hda and hdc have almost the exact same symptons, and are about the same age and both show multiple sector_reallocations. They both have errors that keep happening on the same LBA's.

Now here's what's boggling me:
hda:
code:
 12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       14
hdc:

quote:

12 Power_Cycle_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 21
If I'm interpreting correctly - and I'm sure I'm not - the disks have lost power 14 and 21 times. Yet the devices have been active, and the server hasn't gone down since it went into production.

Is it possible that either the PSU or power connectors to the disk are loose? Our remote hands removed the box from the rack when it wouldn't boot at one point (no boot disk), after which it booted with no problems other than the future symptoms,

My main reason i'm going with this theory is that the "Powered_up_time" on both drives resets to 10h after being up 30ish days at some point, even though the machine itself never went down:

code:
Error 3 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 3392 hours (141 days + 8 hours)
  When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was active or idle.

After command completion occurred, registers were:
  ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --
  40 51 00 db 2b 4e e0  Error: UNC at LBA = 0x004e2bdb = 5123035

Commands leading to the command that caused the error were:
  CR FR SC SN CL CH DH DC   Powered_Up_Time  Command/Feature_Name
  -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --  ----------------  --------------------
  29 00 00 db 2b 4e 06 00      10:36:36.909  READ MULTIPLE EXT
  39 00 08 6b 18 f2 03 00      10:36:36.867  WRITE MULTIPLE EXT
  39 00 10 53 18 f2 03 00      10:36:36.792  WRITE MULTIPLE EXT
  39 00 08 23 18 f2 03 00      10:36:36.759  WRITE MULTIPLE EXT
  29 00 08 6b 5f a6 07 00      10:36:36.758  READ MULTIPLE EXT

Error 2 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 3373 hours (140 days + 13 hours)

ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --
  40 51 08 d3 16 ba e0  Error: UNC at LBA = 0x00ba16d3 = 12195539

29 00 08 d3 16 ba 07 00  34d+05:18:59.811  READ MULTIPLE EXT
  39 00 48 23 5f cb 04 00  34d+05:18:59.549  WRITE MULTIPLE EXT
  29 00 08 73 91 6f 04 00  34d+05:18:59.530  READ MULTIPLE EXT
  29 00 08 33 17 97 04 00  34d+05:18:59.515  READ MULTIPLE EXT
  29 00 08 89 96 06 00 00  34d+05:18:59.506  READ MULTIPLE EXT

Error 1 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 3324 hours (138 days + 12 hours)
Anyone care to help shed some light?

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

astr0man posted:

Eventually, it will be. Right now, though, unless you need/want any of the new features of Gutsy, save yourself the possible headache for now.

bmoyles
Feb 15, 2002

United Neckbeard Foundation of America
Fun Shoe
Using synergy. Ubuntu gutsy box as master, Windows lappy as slave. Since I'm using Gutsy, I'm using gnome-screensaver, so the screensaver sync stuff doesn't work. That's fine. I lock both screens individually when I go away. Problem is, when I lock the windows screen, it's as if Synergy stops listening at all and I can't get over to the windows side to ctrl-alt-del and unlock without using a physical keyboard. Googling doesn't turn up much on this... Any ideas? Should I just yank gnome-screensaver and throw xscreensaver in there?

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

hooah posted:

Ok, now Wine can't find a .dll that's in the system32 directory, which I've told it to use.

In an unrelated incident, how do I get Firefox to play flash files? I've installed the flash plugin, but I'm still getting big blank boxes where flash stuff's supposed to be. Except for the ads. Those load just fine.

First, type "about :plugins" and see if Flash is really installed. It might have put it in the wrong directory or something.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

JoeNotCharles posted:

First, type "about :plugins" and see if Flash is really installed. It might have put it in the wrong directory or something.

Yup, it tells me Gnash is installed and enabled.

Also, what about this Wine .dll problem?

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

bmoyles posted:

Using synergy. Ubuntu gutsy box as master, Windows lappy as slave. Since I'm using Gutsy, I'm using gnome-screensaver, so the screensaver sync stuff doesn't work. That's fine. I lock both screens individually when I go away. Problem is, when I lock the windows screen, it's as if Synergy stops listening at all and I can't get over to the windows side to ctrl-alt-del and unlock without using a physical keyboard. Googling doesn't turn up much on this... Any ideas? Should I just yank gnome-screensaver and throw xscreensaver in there?

Master/server box is listening, slave/client connects to it, so as long as Synergy is still running on the Linux box, it's the Windows client problem. Synergy is not supposed to disconnect while the box is up if it is started using its built-in startup configuration.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

bmoyles posted:

That's odd. I'm using the exact same setup and have never had that problem.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

hooah posted:

Well, then, I got nothing. For either of these.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

hooah posted:

Uninstall Gnash and install nonfree plugin. It works on 64-bit Ubuntu now.

quote:

What DLL, and what does Wine say about it?

nbv4
Aug 21, 2002

by Duchess Gummybuns
how do you get gnome-terminal to launch with a specific dimension? I want to create a launcher that runs irssi in a terminal window, but I want the window to be a little bit bigger than default. Most programs have an option to specify size, but I can't seem to find it for gnome-terminal. Here is my code so far:

gnome-terminal --window-with-profile=irc --command=irssi

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Fishstick posted:

I've got a linux/hardware related question.

I've a server that has an uptime of 145days, basically since it was put online, and uses software (md) raid 1.

Recently the load's shot up (30-ish on a P4 machine), a shitton of processes have D or D+ stats and 80% or so of the processes are wa(iting). I figured it was a disk issue so I looked around with SMART at the physical devices after mdadm told me the raid was degraded:

If you ever see an uncorrected error on a drive, you have to replace it. No exceptions.

quote:

both hda and hdc have almost the exact same symptons, and are about the same age and both show multiple sector_reallocations. They both have errors that keep happening on the same LBA's.

Now here's what's boggling me:
hda:
code:
 12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       14
hdc:

If I'm interpreting correctly - and I'm sure I'm not - the disks have lost power 14 and 21 times. Yet the devices have been active, and the server hasn't gone down since it went into production.
Drive does not know if it is in production or not. I am sure, there were plenty of restarts before that.

quote:

Is it possible that either the PSU or power connectors to the disk are loose? Our remote hands removed the box from the rack when it wouldn't boot at one point (no boot disk), after which it booted with no problems other than the future symptoms,

My main reason i'm going with this theory is that the "Powered_up_time" on both drives resets to 10h after being up 30ish days at some point, even though the machine itself never went down:

code:
Error 3 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 3392 hours (141 days + 8 hours)

ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --
  40 51 00 db 2b 4e e0  Error: UNC at LBA = 0x004e2bdb = 5123035

29 00 00 db 2b 4e 06 00      10:36:36.909  READ MULTIPLE EXT
  39 00 08 6b 18 f2 03 00      10:36:36.867  WRITE MULTIPLE EXT
  39 00 10 53 18 f2 03 00      10:36:36.792  WRITE MULTIPLE EXT
  39 00 08 23 18 f2 03 00      10:36:36.759  WRITE MULTIPLE EXT
  29 00 08 6b 5f a6 07 00      10:36:36.758  READ MULTIPLE EXT

Error 2 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 3373 hours (140 days + 13 hours)

ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --
  40 51 08 d3 16 ba e0  Error: UNC at LBA = 0x00ba16d3 = 12195539

29 00 08 d3 16 ba 07 00  34d+05:18:59.811  READ MULTIPLE EXT
  39 00 48 23 5f cb 04 00  34d+05:18:59.549  WRITE MULTIPLE EXT
  29 00 08 73 91 6f 04 00  34d+05:18:59.530  READ MULTIPLE EXT
  29 00 08 33 17 97 04 00  34d+05:18:59.515  READ MULTIPLE EXT
  29 00 08 89 96 06 00 00  34d+05:18:59.506  READ MULTIPLE EXT

Error 1 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 3324 hours (138 days + 12 hours)
Anyone care to help shed some light?

SMART is only useful for detecting problems if they are completely unnoticeable by all other means. It is notoriously unreliable, and the only thing it is good for is seeing corrected errors and checking if the drives you have in storage are unsafe to install. If OS tells you that it got an error, it does not matter what SMART says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

nbv4 posted:

how do you get gnome-terminal to launch with a specific dimension? I want to create a launcher that runs irssi in a terminal window, but I want the window to be a little bit bigger than default. Most programs have an option to specify size, but I can't seem to find it for gnome-terminal. Here is my code so far:

gnome-terminal --window-with-profile=irc --command=irssi

gnome-terminal --help returns the list of options, one of them --geometry

You can do things like:

code:
gnome-terminal --geometry=100x40 --title irssi --execute sh -c "screen -r || screen irssi"