Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.

teapot posted:

Uninstall Gnash and install nonfree plugin. It works on 64-bit Ubuntu now.

Natively? It doesn't require a plugin wrapper? Is it 64bit flash, too?

Edit: Looks like it is 32bit.

Crush fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 25, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

teapot posted:

Uninstall Gnash and install nonfree plugin. It works on 64-bit Ubuntu now.

What DLL, and what does Wine say about it?

Thanks for the flash help.

As for the Wine issue, I copied the .dll to the same folder as the .exe at the suggestion of someone on the IRC channel, and it started to load, but then just told me that "Finale has encountered an error. Please reinstall Finale."

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Crush posted:

Natively? It doesn't require a plugin wrapper? Is it 64bit flash, too?

Edit: Looks like it is 32bit.

Package installs it with a wrapper, it should be transparent for the user.

Joss Laypeg
Oct 11, 2007
A psychotic is a guy who's just found out what's going on. - WSB

minerale posted:

Awesome, thanks for this analysis. This came from Debian Lenny, which uses the APT and DEB formats for package stuff. You would hope that it supported DRI on Santa Rosa with X3100 by now, infact, I know it does. I doubt I have to rebuild xserver-xorg for that to happen.

Should I perhaps switch to Gentoo from Debian for this reason?

If you're going to be compiling a lot of stuff from source and always want the latest and greatest, you may be better off with a source based distro. But it's not a panacea. You'll be doing a lot more work to get a usable system and the infrastructure you're used to just won't be there. For instance, there really aren't any standard configuration tools on Gentoo. If you want to enable Compiz, you're going to be installing all the components manually, then editing config files and setting environment variables. It's generally well documented, but you're still looking at hours of work to do the equivalent of hitting the "Enable desktop effects" button on Ubuntu. On the other hand you will know every component of the OS by the time you're finished.

Just to elaborate a bit on my comment about mixing self compiled software with a binary distro. Say that you uninstall the Debian Xorg package and then re-install it manually from source. As far as the Debian package manager is concerned, you won't have Xorg installed! There's no way of telling it that you installed it from source yourself. It will just look at its database and say, "Nope. No Xorg installed". From then on, every time you try and install a .deb that lists Xorg as a dependency, it will fail. You can probably force it to install anyway, but then you'll just hit the next set of problems. The Xorg files that you installed manually probably won't be in the places that Debian expects. And if you solve that, you'll be where you are now - any official Debian packages that you install will have been compiled against the official Debian build of Xorg. Even if you've built exactly the same Xorg version that Debian uses from source, there will still be enough differences to cause the linking failures you're seeing (they usually manifest as "Symbol not found" errors). Also trying to keep track of where your manually installed files have gone is a nightmare.

One suggestion - if you kept the Mesa source directory around after you built it, you can probably do a "make uninstall". That should get rid of the self-installed version cleanly and then you can re-install the original Debian package if you want. I don't know if that will solve the original problem, but it should avoid the issues I mentioned above.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Yet beyond each tree there are only more trees.

nbv4 posted:

how do you get gnome-terminal to launch with a specific dimension?

--geometry works for pretty much every X app.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

JoeNotCharles posted:

--geometry works for pretty much every X app.

Actually it's -geometry for most of X applications that support command line geometry settings. --geometry is used by some "younger" applications, however it's nowhere close to being universal among them.

bmoyles
Feb 15, 2002

United Neckbeard Foundation of America
Fun Shoe

teapot posted:

Master/server box is listening, slave/client connects to it, so as long as Synergy is still running on the Linux box, it's the Windows client problem. Synergy is not supposed to disconnect while the box is up if it is started using its built-in startup configuration.

That's exactly what I figured. I think it's this crappy IBM fingerprint crap that replaced the standard login on this box. Irritating. If you lock the windows box, you get a different dialog box that allows you to use the stupid assed fingerprint scanner.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

bmoyles posted:

That's exactly what I figured. I think it's this crappy IBM fingerprint crap that replaced the standard login on this box. Irritating. If you lock the windows box, you get a different dialog box that allows you to use the stupid assed fingerprint scanner.
It's possible that login replacement checks if the keystrokes are coming from a physical keyboard.

dorkface
Dec 27, 2005
How do you connect to a wireless network through CLI? Sometimes KNetworkManager refuses to connect/reconnect to, and the GUI has no output whatsoever. I'm hoping that I can get some insight to what is going on with a verbose command, or something.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

dorkface posted:

How do you connect to a wireless network through CLI? Sometimes KNetworkManager refuses to connect/reconnect to, and the GUI has no output whatsoever. I'm hoping that I can get some insight to what is going on with a verbose command, or something.

code:
iwlist wlan0 scanning

iwconfig wlan0 essid "Neighbor's Linksys"

dhclient wlan0

ifconfig

PsychoCowboy
Dec 18, 2001

I'm getting random reboots on a Debian Etch box thats acting as a vmware server host for 3 VMs. Which logs could give me a clearer picture of what's going on with this instability?

casey
Dec 12, 2002

Reefer Inc. posted:

Just to elaborate a bit on my comment about mixing self compiled software with a binary distro. Say that you uninstall the Debian Xorg package and then re-install it manually from source. As far as the Debian package manager is concerned, you won't have Xorg installed! There's no way of telling it that you installed it from source yourself. It will just look at its database and say, "Nope. No Xorg installed". From then on, every time you try and install a .deb that lists Xorg as a dependency, it will fail. You can probably force it to install anyway, but then you'll just hit the next set of problems. The Xorg files that you installed manually probably won't be in the places that Debian expects. And if you solve that, you'll be where you are now - any official Debian packages that you install will have been compiled against the official Debian build of Xorg. Even if you've built exactly the same Xorg version that Debian uses from source, there will still be enough differences to cause the linking failures you're seeing (they usually manifest as "Symbol not found" errors). Also trying to keep track of where your manually installed files have gone is a nightmare.

you can build x.org or any other debian stuff by downloading the debian source packages and compiling them against your system. Then you can install the resulting .deb's and you have both your own compiled version *and* integration with the debian package system.

nbv4
Aug 21, 2002

by Duchess Gummybuns
how can I get multiple isolated desktops with compiz? In Ubuntu Feisty, I had four desktops, one for web browsing and IRC, the second for ktorrent, and a few other "monitoring" programs, the third for all my music apps, and the forth was nautilus windows for various directories I access often. It was great because each "desktop" had it's own taskbar, so the taskbar never had any more than 3 or so items on it.

I can't seem to get the same thing going now that I'm able to use compiz-fusion. I can get multiple desktops working, but they all seem to share the same taskbar. I've got like 500 things on the taskbar, which kind of defeats the purpose of having multiple desktops. Any ideas?

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

nbv4 posted:

how can I get multiple isolated desktops with compiz? In Ubuntu Feisty, I had four desktops, one for web browsing and IRC, the second for ktorrent, and a few other "monitoring" programs, the third for all my music apps, and the forth was nautilus windows for various directories I access often. It was great because each "desktop" had it's own taskbar, so the taskbar never had any more than 3 or so items on it.

I can't seem to get the same thing going now that I'm able to use compiz-fusion. I can get multiple desktops working, but they all seem to share the same taskbar. I've got like 500 things on the taskbar, which kind of defeats the purpose of having multiple desktops. Any ideas?

It's an option in the window list applet configuration. Right-click on the drag bar at the left from the task bar, choose "properties", set it ti show only windows from the current desktop/viewport.

If four viewports aren't enough, you can add more horizontally (cube will become a prism) or switch from cube to wall to be able to use multiple rows of viewports.

nbv4
Aug 21, 2002

by Duchess Gummybuns

teapot posted:

It's an option in the window list applet configuration. Right-click on the drag bar at the left from the task bar, choose "properties", set it ti show only windows from the current desktop/viewport.

If four viewports aren't enough, you can add more horizontally (cube will become a prism) or switch from cube to wall to be able to use multiple rows of viewports.

I don't think compiz pays attention to those settings. I indeed have that option set to "show windows from current workspace", but it's still showing all windows. There has to be a specific compiz setting, but I can't find it anywhere :(

dorkface
Dec 27, 2005
Does anybody have any experience with minicom and USB? I'm trying to connect to a pix/asa with my laptop, but since it seems that laptops no longer come with serial ports, I have to use a USB to serial converter. I'm looking in /dev, but I cannot seem to find a USB device file, which is where I think my problem stems. I had problems* installing the device with the linux driver, but oddly, it still semi-works as I can get output on tty0, but it all comes out as question marks.

Anyone had experince with this?

Oh, and thanks, teapot, for the wireless answer; it works just like I wanted it to.

*this problem stems around the fact that initially the drivers that came with the device installed nicely, but they asked me to remove them(?), and install an updated version of the driver.

code:
To install the ftdi_sio driver use the following steps:

1. Create a temporary folder in your linux machine.
2. Extract the files from ftdi_sio.tar.gz file to your temporary folder
	"gunzip ftdi_sio.tar.gz"
	"tar -xvf ftdi_sio.tar"
3. Build the driver
	"make"
4. Plug in your ftdi device
5. Check to see if default driver was loaded
	"lsmod" - you will see ftdi_sio if a driver is loaded
6. Remove the default installed driver
	"rmmod ftdi_sio"

#This is where it screwed up.  Even after "make"-ing the file, it said that this file did not exist.
7. Install the newly built driver
	"insmod ftdi_sio.o"

Now, whenever I try to reinstall the driver, I get a gigantic error, and googling the error gives little insight.

dorkface fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 27, 2007

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

nbv4 posted:

I don't think compiz pays attention to those settings. I indeed have that option set to "show windows from current workspace", but it's still showing all windows. There has to be a specific compiz setting, but I can't find it anywhere :(

What kind of taskbar do you use? I don't think, there is a compiz-secific one, Compiz handles those lists when it switches windows, however all switchers have their own command to show all workspace/viewport or all of them. Compiz isn't really involved in anything related to the way how GNOME window list applet works. Avant has its own setting for the same kind of parameter as well.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

dorkface posted:

FTDI ICs are in everything. Their driver code is in tree as well. Every modern distro should support this device out of the box. have you checked dmesg after connecting the device?

My FTDI device shows up as /dev/ttyUSB0, but we may have different udev versions. Worked fine in minicom.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Every time I start up Ubuntu, my background is gone. It'll come back as soon as I bring up the appearances dialogue, though.

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007
I hope I can post this here.

I'm currently very, very, very, new to linux. At the moment, I have an xbox with Xbox media center on it, and am running Ubuntu Gutsty. Before I updated to gutsty, I was able to share files between my lappy, and xbox no problem. However now my xbox will not even detect the work group or my share folder, and for some reason ubuntu not even saving the share folder information correctly(system>admin>sharefolder then noting listed after I right clicked and hit share on the folder.

I've tried google, I've tried ubuntu forums for help, I've tried undestanding the samba website for any information to diagnos, and nothing seems to do it. I just want to be able to transfure again between the two since I use my Xbox as an video play for anything I may of downloaded, or currently have saved on my compy music wise.

Help me please

WaffleLove fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Oct 28, 2007

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->
I'm a complete newbie to Linux, but I just installed it on one of the school computers in my Computer Maintenance & Repair class, just to gently caress around with it, and I've had trouble getting the video drivers installed. It's Ubuntu 7.10, and the computer's video is just an integrated piece of poo poo VIA Chrome9, so as you could've expected, I've had trouble actually finding drivers for it. I did manage to find a package with the source code for the drivers, which I have to compile myself.

I've been at it for the past week or so (obviously distracted, since this is a class and we actually do stuff in it), and both my teacher and I can't seem to figure out how to compile this driver for the life of us.

I haven't been able to find what the option is to compile the whole folder as one package for the driver install, so I've just been trying to compile one file, just to learn how to properly use the "gcc" command, but I can't figure that out either. I think I might just be getting the syntax wrong, but I type "gcc accel.c" (one of the source codes in the folder) and it just gives me a bunch of errors. The header file is included in the source code itself, so I don't think that's the problem. Including some of the options I've found in "man gcc" don't seem to help (several thousands of lines of text for that manual, sheesh!).

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

hooah posted:

Every time I start up Ubuntu, my background is gone. It'll come back as soon as I bring up the appearances dialogue, though.

This happens if you don't run Nautilus. No idea if it is still a problem in newer versions of GNOME, however the fix is to add this into your session where Nautilus was:

code:
/usr/bin/gconftool-2 -s /desktop/gnome/background/draw_background --type boolean true

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

WaffleLove posted:

I hope I can post this here.

I'm currently very, very, very, new to linux. At the moment, I have an xbox with Xbox media center on it, and am running Ubuntu Gutsty. Before I updated to gutsty, I was able to share files between my lappy, and xbox no problem. However now my xbox will not even detect the work group or my share folder, and for some reason ubuntu not even saving the share folder information correctly(system>admin>sharefolder then noting listed after I right clicked and hit share on the folder.

I've tried google, I've tried ubuntu forums for help, I've tried undestanding the samba website for any information to diagnos, and nothing seems to do it. I just want to be able to transfure again between the two since I use my Xbox as an video play for anything I may of downloaded, or currently have saved on my compy music wise.

Help me please

Is Samba installed and running?

Does this:

quote:

ps axuww|grep mbd|grep -v "grep mbd"
produce any output?

Also post somewhere your /etc/samba/smb.conf file and the output of
code:
sudo iptables-save

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Anunnaki posted:

I'm a complete newbie to Linux, but I just installed it on one of the school computers in my Computer Maintenance & Repair class, just to gently caress around with it, and I've had trouble getting the video drivers installed. It's Ubuntu 7.10, and the computer's video is just an integrated piece of poo poo VIA Chrome9, so as you could've expected, I've had trouble actually finding drivers for it. I did manage to find a package with the source code for the drivers, which I have to compile myself.

I've been at it for the past week or so (obviously distracted, since this is a class and we actually do stuff in it), and both my teacher and I can't seem to figure out how to compile this driver for the life of us.

I haven't been able to find what the option is to compile the whole folder as one package for the driver install, so I've just been trying to compile one file, just to learn how to properly use the "gcc" command, but I can't figure that out either. I think I might just be getting the syntax wrong, but I type "gcc accel.c" (one of the source codes in the folder) and it just gives me a bunch of errors. The header file is included in the source code itself, so I don't think that's the problem. Including some of the options I've found in "man gcc" don't seem to help (several thousands of lines of text for that manual, sheesh!).

"sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-unichrome" does not work?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

teapot posted:

This happens if you don't run Nautilus. No idea if it is still a problem in newer versions of GNOME, however the fix is to add this into your session where Nautilus was:

code:
/usr/bin/gconftool-2 -s /desktop/gnome/background/draw_background --type boolean true

But I am using Nautilus. And I don't know how to add that into my session. Do I put that as a command in a file somewhere, or in a configuration window?

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

teapot posted:

"sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-unichrome" does not work?

I just tried that today and it didn't seem to do anything at all. It installed those drivers just fine, but there were no new options in the Resolution settings or anything. When I went to the Screen and Resolution settings under the Administration tab, it said I was still using the "vesa" drivers, and nothing about Unichrome, or Chrome9, or VIA, or anything was in there.

Another strange thing is the monitor is set to "LCD Panel 1024 x 768," (it's a CRT) and this only allows for 60Hz, since it thinks it's an LCD monitor. If I set it to "Monitor 1024 x 768," the options for more refresh rates are there, but when I change it to any refresh rate, including 60Hz, when I log off to apply the changes, the display gets all hosed up and I can't see any of the graphics. The only way to fix it is it to go into recovery mode and edit xorg.conf and change it back; so the only way to have working graphics is to tell it it's an LCD. Another strange thing I noticed is whenever I set it to "Monitor 1024 x 768," it seems to default to 24-bit color--and some strange widescreen resolution--in xorg.conf for some reason, even though I set it to 1024 x 768. Changing it to 16- or 32-bit makes it work; I don't know if maybe the monitor just can't handle that color depth, or what.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

hooah posted:

But I am using Nautilus. And I don't know how to add that into my session. Do I put that as a command in a file somewhere, or in a configuration window?

If you use Nautilus, run once in a terminal:

code:
gconftool-2 -s /apps/nautilus/preferences/background_set --type boolean true

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Anunnaki posted:

I just tried that today and it didn't seem to do anything at all. It installed those drivers just fine, but there were no new options in the Resolution settings or anything. When I went to the Screen and Resolution settings under the Administration tab, it said I was still using the "vesa" drivers, and nothing about Unichrome, or Chrome9, or VIA, or anything was in there.
To change the drivers, run
code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

quote:

Another strange thing is the monitor is set to "LCD Panel 1024 x 768," (it's a CRT) and this only allows for 60Hz, since it thinks it's an LCD monitor. If I set it to "Monitor 1024 x 768," the options for more refresh rates are there, but when I change it to any refresh rate, including 60Hz, when I log off to apply the changes, the display gets all hosed up and I can't see any of the graphics. The only way to fix it is it to go into recovery mode and edit xorg.conf and change it back; so the only way to have working graphics is to tell it it's an LCD. Another strange thing I noticed is whenever I set it to "Monitor 1024 x 768," it seems to default to 24-bit color--and some strange widescreen resolution--in xorg.conf for some reason, even though I set it to 1024 x 768. Changing it to 16- or 32-bit makes it work; I don't know if maybe the monitor just can't handle that color depth, or what.
Most likely this is how vesa driver sees it.

GeneralZod
May 28, 2003

Kneel before Zod!
Grimey Drawer
I'm clearly misunderstanding how permissions work under UNIX, but I'm not sure why. As far as I can tell, /usr/bin/fusermount should be runnable by me, but it is not - it does not even show up during bash auto-completion.

code:
[simon@simon-desktop][10:48:01]
[~]>whoami
simon
[simon@simon-desktop][10:53:43]
[~]>groups `whoami`
simon : simon adm dialout cdrom floppy audio dip video plugdev scanner netdev lpadmin powerdev [b]fuse[/b] admin kqemu
[simon@simon-desktop][10:53:51]
[~]>ls -l /usr/bin/fusermount
-rwsr-xr-- 1 root [b]fuse[/b] 19456 2007-03-12 22:34 /usr/bin/fusermount
[simon@simon-desktop][10:54:05]
[~]>/usr/bin/fusermount
[b]bash: /usr/bin/fusermount: Permission denied[/b]
[simon@simon-desktop][10:54:14]
[~]>ls -l /dev/fuse
crw-rw---- 1 root fuse 10, 229 2007-10-21 08:38 /dev/fuse
If I chmod o+x /usr/bin/fusermount then it will at least start (although I can't do anything with it as I don't have write access to /dev/fuse), but I don't see why I need to, or why I don't have permission to write to /dev/fuse. What am I missing? Google throws up lots of pages about the ssh fuse system not working, but I am not using ssh.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

GeneralZod posted:

I'm clearly misunderstanding how permissions work under UNIX, but I'm not sure why. As far as I can tell, /usr/bin/fusermount should be runnable by me, but it is not - it does not even show up during bash auto-completion.

code:
[simon@simon-desktop][10:48:01]
[~]>whoami
simon
[simon@simon-desktop][10:53:43]
[~]>groups `whoami`
simon : simon adm dialout cdrom floppy audio dip video plugdev scanner netdev lpadmin powerdev [b]fuse[/b] admin kqemu
[simon@simon-desktop][10:53:51]
[~]>ls -l /usr/bin/fusermount
-rwsr-xr-- 1 root [b]fuse[/b] 19456 2007-03-12 22:34 /usr/bin/fusermount
[simon@simon-desktop][10:54:05]
[~]>/usr/bin/fusermount
[b]bash: /usr/bin/fusermount: Permission denied[/b]
[simon@simon-desktop][10:54:14]
[~]>ls -l /dev/fuse
crw-rw---- 1 root fuse 10, 229 2007-10-21 08:38 /dev/fuse
If I chmod o+x /usr/bin/fusermount then it will at least start (although I can't do anything with it as I don't have write access to /dev/fuse), but I don't see why I need to, or why I don't have permission to write to /dev/fuse. What am I missing? Google throws up lots of pages about the ssh fuse system not working, but I am not using ssh.

Have you started a new login shell since you came to have fuse as an addl secondary group? I don't see anyting wrong with your expectations.

GeneralZod
May 28, 2003

Kneel before Zod!
Grimey Drawer

covener posted:

Have you started a new login shell since you came to have fuse as an addl secondary group? I don't see anyting wrong with your expectations.

I've tried it with the old shell (that I used to do the apt-get install fusestuff) and started up a new shell, too, and neither worked :/

It's not particularly important - the install is going to end up duplicated in a VM image where security is much less important and where I can chmod ugo+xw with impunity - but it's still annoying me.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Yet beyond each tree there are only more trees.

GeneralZod posted:

I've tried it with the old shell (that I used to do the apt-get install fusestuff) and started up a new shell, too, and neither worked :/

If by "started up a new shell" you mean "opened a new terminal", that's not enough - it needs to be a login shell. Try "sudo -u GeneralZod sh" to start a new shell using sudo (which is generally used to temporarily log you in as someone else; this time you're just logging in as yourself again, but you're forcing it to redo the login and not just reuse existing resources).

Which reminds me - is there a way to have it reread things that are usually set on login (mainly groups) without logging out and back in? Having to log out of the entire X session, or else remember to start a new login shell in every single terminal, is really drat annoying.

George Wright
Nov 20, 2005
I was trying to think of a way to use the CLI to change the IP address of a NIC while ONLY using the CLI and this is what I came up with (this is for ubuntu/debian):

sed 's/\(address\).*/address 192.168.100.245/' /etc/network/interfaces > /home/pat/interfaces; mv /home/pat/interfaces /etc/network/interfaces

This seems like a really stupid way of doing it, but it works - is there a better way of doing this?

Edit: I was pretending like I didn't know what the IP address of the machine was, and also that the machine only had one NIC since I realize this would change BOTH NICs IP.

George Wright fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 31, 2007

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

citizenh8 posted:

I was trying to think of a way to use the CLI to change the IP address of a NIC while ONLY using the CLI and this is what I came up with (this is for ubuntu/debian):

sed 's/\(address\).*/address 192.168.100.245/' /etc/network/interfaces > /home/pat/interfaces; mv /home/pat/interfaces /etc/network/interfaces

This seems like a really stupid way of doing it, but it works - is there a better way of doing this?

Edit: I was pretending like I didn't know what the IP address of the machine was, and also that the machine only had one NIC since I realize this would change BOTH NICs IP.

code:
ifconfig eth0 1.2.3.4
Not the best way to go about it, but will probably work for what you want.

George Wright
Nov 20, 2005

ShoulderDaemon posted:

code:
ifconfig eth0 1.2.3.4
Not the best way to go about it, but will probably work for what you want.

Yeah that would be good up until the reboot - I was more or less trying to figure it out for future reference if I ever wanted to do the same type of thing, but to a different file.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Printer problems.

I haven't had a working printer for a few years and I'm pretty disappointed now that things seem to be at least as messy as they used to be. I now have a HP LJ 4050N which is a run-of-the-mill PostScript network printer that should pose no problems to my Ubuntu 7.10 system at all. If only...

First of all the printer throws an error after every print (if it's just one page, or after two-three pages if it's more). 40 EIO 2 BAD TRANSMISSION -- actually that didn't happen now so maybe it's gone away magically. Any ideas on why would be appreciated anyway, googling didn't make much sense of it.

The good news is that the Ubuntu test page from the Printers configuration thing is spot on. But that's all that is. Both the printer and the driver are set to A4, but every damned program has its own print panel and settings, and both OpenOffice and Evince, for example, absolutely refuse to remember that I use A4, not Letter, so I have to change it every time. That wouldn't be so bad if it actually worked to change it, though, but it doesn't. No matter how insistently and determined I tell OpenOffice to use A4 from tray 2, the printer says load Letter in tray 1. It simply doesn't work. Evince works, I guess, but it's very bad at fitting things with the wrong aspect into the format, a pdf I was printing got shifted to the right and the rightmost bit was cut off, for example.

As for Firefox, it's completely out there. When I set it to A4, the prints are shifted way upwards and if I force it to use a larger top margin, it's still too wide (as in if it still thinks it's Letter) because the title and url headers gets cut off at the sides (the bottom footer thing I've never seen, I assume it'll show up sooner or later if I keep increasing the bottom margin.) Sigh.

What the hell is going on? Is it supposed to be this finicky?

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Neslepaks posted:

What the hell is going on? Is it supposed to be this finicky?

That's a shame, I was impressed at how much printing seemed to have improved by Gutsy. A nice new configuration utility courtesy of Red Hat and my HP printer was picked up automatically about 5 seconds after plugging it in. Made a nice change from the HP windows drivers which insisted on 1GB of free space to install them!

Re. your particular problems - what happens if you change your printer preferences using the Admin -> Printers dialogue rather than from within your application?

My draft quality settings were never remembered until I changed them from the system printers dialogue rather than from within the applications.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Col posted:

Re. your particular problems - what happens if you change your printer preferences using the Admin -> Printers dialogue rather than from within your application?

It's set right there, it's just applications overriding it. :smith:

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

teapot posted:

To change the drivers, run
code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
Most likely this is how vesa driver sees it.

Tried that today and it still doesn't work. When I change it in the terminal, it still says I'm using vesa when I go back to the Screen settings. I've tried doing the command, then restarting; I've tried setting it to the VIA drivers in recovery mode and rebooting, but it still doesn't want to stick. It just defaults to Low Graphics Mode.

I think it might also have something to do with the monitor drivers; the monitor on that particular computer is a KDS VS-7i, which is a discontinued model, and doesn't have any Linux drivers. Setting it to the VS-7p/7b drivers doesn't work.

I really wish the school didn't block SA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Today I found out that a job that moves some files to one of our servers has been writing them with the wrong permissions. The files contain sensitive data and are in a world readable directory but the files themselves have 062 permissions, meaning they are world writable but not readable. Outside of the obvious 'cat /dev/null > *' which is pretty bad, is there anything I should be worried about that users may have been able to do? Or are they pretty much restricted to wrecking the contents of the files? My main concern is if people somehow gained the ability to read the contents of the files. Is there anything screwy that can be done with those permissions to allow someone access to read the contents?