Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
12CharacterPasswor
Jan 15, 2006

naughtysiggie posted:

Outlook 2007 will not shut down when using Plaxo. After exiting, it continues to run in the background.

Try this: http://blogs.msdn.com/mswanson/archive/2005/05/12/416755.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
a program that can call a random word and defination from a txt file

xobofni
Mar 28, 2003
Strip Formatting from Clipboard

I get annoyed every time I paste something from a web page into Outlook the formatting is copied as well. Thus, I would like a program that watches the Clipboard and modifies the contents to strip formatting. I suppose it would also be nice to have a way to easily turn it on/off, say a toggleable systray icon.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

xobofni posted:

I get annoyed every time I paste something from a web page into Outlook the formatting is copied as well. Thus, I would like a program that watches the Clipboard and modifies the contents to strip formatting. I suppose it would also be nice to have a way to easily turn it on/off, say a toggleable systray icon.

A friend of mine wrote a program to do exactly this, ClipExact.

da sponge
May 24, 2004

..and you've eaten your pen. simply stunning.
Anyone have some vbscript code to easily change the ACLs on a remote share?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I posted a question in the windows thread, but didn't really get an answer, mainly because I think this is pretty obscure, but here's the deal:

I have around 150-170 machines I check weekly for keyboard/mouse connectivity. This is kind of a boring, long task that I'd like to slim down so that it's not quite so bloody repetitive. However, the problem is that I had no clue how to check if the keyboard and mouse could connect.

http://www.computer-engineering.org/ps2keyboard/

However, my friend pointed me to this website. Unfortunately I don't program assembly (or really any programming, I did some basic java courses), so I can't really make hide nor hair of this code.

The eventual goal is I'd like to run a task on a bunch of PCs remotely (I can send and execute programs very easily with Ghost), and have it send a basic 'hey how's your uncle' to the PS/2 ports, which should return (if I'm reading this documentation right) an ACK signal of some kind. I'm pretty sure I could figure out how to combine all the results from the computers into a .csv file and then just find the ones that aren't hooked up and fix them quickly.

I'm not sure at all how easy this is to implement, but I'd really appreciate any input.

dorkface
Dec 27, 2005

Taco posted:

I would install this so fast it might break the sound barrier.

I'm right with you there, buddy. Even though I am just learning how to create firefox extensions, I'll take a crack at this, since it seems pretty straightforward, and a good start for a beginner. No promises, though. :)

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

dorkface posted:

I'm right with you there, buddy. Even though I am just learning how to create firefox extensions, I'll take a crack at this, since it seems pretty straightforward, and a good start for a beginner. No promises, though. :)

It's much more difficult than you think. XUL elements tend to be tied to the document they were created in; meaning the browser window that originally opened the tab. You can't just take the element and throw it into a new (or preexisting) window for that reason.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Frog Blast The Vent Core!

Jedi425 posted:

I'd like a program that could parse a whole shitload of timestamped logfiles (IRC logs, system logs, message files, what have you) and combine them into one text file with everything in the correct order. DupeRemover is a great start, but I need something that can combine several logs into one properly time-ordered logfile. I've done a bit of poking around, haven't seen anything yet.

EDIT: Rather, I should say I haven't seen anything that didn't run you like 40 bucks as shareware. Most of them don't say anything about their ability to read timestamps either.

Anyone working on this one? I think this would make a good project for me as a student. .NET stuff ok?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
One of these might already exist, and if they do, me so sorry.

A program that can try to force a certain monitor refresh rate in an app. I have tried RefreshForce, which seems to be the only one I can find, but it doesn't work in things like Frets on Fire or Fiesta, which leave me with an eye-shattering 60hz refresh rate. The old nVidia drivers refresh rate override tool used to work just fine, but it would be nice to have this functionality without having to use really old drivers.

AND

A program that can press a key or a sequence of keys repeatedly, but only when a certain window has focus. I don't know if DirectInput would be required, but I guess it would be nice. In Fiesta you need to press a key, or click on, whatever item you want to pick up off the ground, and it's pretty annoying. A program that could just smash a button at like 30hz without me having to hold a button and use joy2key while Fiesta is in focus would rock my world.

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe

Lowclock posted:

A program that can press a key or a sequence of keys repeatedly, but only when a certain window has focus. I don't know if DirectInput would be required, but I guess it would be nice. In Fiesta you need to press a key, or click on, whatever item you want to pick up off the ground, and it's pretty annoying. A program that could just smash a button at like 30hz without me having to hold a button and use joy2key while Fiesta is in focus would rock my world.

I might be able to do this. Tell me the window name for the game (the EXACT name that shows up in your task bar) and key that needs to be pressed and I'll try. If it has no anti-cheat, it will probably work.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Lowclock posted:

Fiesta item-picker-upper

slovach posted:

I might be able to do this. Tell me the window name for the game (the EXACT name that shows up in your task bar) and key that needs to be pressed and I'll try. If it has no anti-cheat, it will probably work.

The window name is "FiestaOnline", and if this works, my mouse4 will :love: you!

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe

Lowclock posted:

The window name is "FiestaOnline", and if this works, my mouse4 will :love: you!

Originally I was trying some fancy method of sending "keystrokes" straight to the process. This "worked" in a very broken kind of way. This is why I wanted the window name before. So now it's basically just straight up mashing the key instead.

I know you wanted mouse4, but there doesn't seem to be a way to actually synthesize a click for it(or maybe I'm just dumb and I'm missing it)! So unfortunately, you're going to have to use another key for now. I'll probably add a way to set the key of your choice in the future, but I'm too lazy right now.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

slovach posted:

Originally I was trying some fancy method of sending "keystrokes" straight to the process. This "worked" in a very broken kind of way. This is why I wanted the window name before. So now it's basically just straight up mashing the key instead.

I know you wanted mouse4, but there doesn't seem to be a way to actually synthesize a click for it(or maybe I'm just dumb and I'm missing it)! So unfortunately, you're going to have to use another key for now. I'll probably add a way to set the key of your choice in the future, but I'm too lazy right now.

Oh, very sorry sir. By that I meant that in my mouse driver I had mouse4 set to do the = keystroke which I have set to be item pick-up. Yea, it doesn't have to press mouse4, = would be just fine. Thanks! :dance:

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe

Lowclock posted:

Oh, very sorry sir. By that I meant that in my mouse driver I had mouse4 set to do the = keystroke which I have set to be item pick-up. Yea, it doesn't have to press mouse4, = would be just fine. Thanks! :dance:

Well, give it a try. I tried it in CS and the UT3 demo and it spit out ='s so I assume it's working. If it works ok in FiestaOnline, I'll make a page for it. Feel free to tell me any changes you want. :)

http://tinyappz.com/images/a/ab/Fiestaclicker.rar

ThatSlacker
May 25, 2004

xobofni posted:

Besides ClipExact there is also PureText 2.0 that does this. It actually binds to a configurable hotkey (Win-V by default) so that you can easily choose whether or not you're pasting the text or a formatting stripped version of the text.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

slovach posted:

Well, give it a try. I tried it in CS and the UT3 demo and it spit out ='s so I assume it's working. If it works ok in FiestaOnline, I'll make a page for it. Feel free to tell me any changes you want. :)

http://tinyappz.com/images/a/ab/Fiestaclicker.rar

I'm not too big into coding, but is there any way to make it so it only works when Fiesta is the active/focused/whatever window? Besides that, it works wonderfully! Thank you!! :swoon:

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe

Lowclock posted:

I'm not too big into coding, but is there any way to make it so it only works when Fiesta is the active/focused/whatever window? Besides that, it works wonderfully! Thank you!! :swoon:

Yeah, I'll do that next time I'm tinkering with it. I'll probably get around to it sometime tomorrow. :)

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Hmmmm.... well now I'm running into the issue of it not working anymore. :psyduck: Maybe the update they did last night broke it or something, but it really doesn't matter anymore. I figured out a way to do it with AutoHotKey. I still really appreciate your time and effort though, and I will always :love: you for trying!

Kruzen
Sep 3, 2003

I need to engage in homicidal behaviour on a massive scale. It can not be corrected but I have no other way to fulfill my needs.
Write a functional GUI for this:

code:

import os.path
import subprocess
import sys

def timecode_to_sec(tc):
    """
    >>> timecode_to_sec('10') == 10
    True

>>> timecode_to_sec('3:10') == 190
    True

>>> timecode_to_sec('1:10:10') == 4210
    True
    """
    result = 0
    values = tc.split(':')
    values.reverse()

for i in range(0, len(values)):
        result += int(values[i]) * (60 ** i)

return result

def run():
    file = open(sys.argv[1])
    clips = []

for line in file:
        if line.strip() == '':
            continue

clips.append(line.split(' ', 1))

file.close()

# this is stupid but i'm lazy
    input_file = os.path.splitext(sys.argv[1])[0] + '.avi'
    input_filename = os.path.splitext(input_file)

for clip in clips:
        duration = timecode_to_sec(clip[1]) - timecode_to_sec(clip[0])
        args = {
            'seek': timecode_to_sec(clip[0]),
            'duration': duration,
            'input': input_file,
            'output': '%s_%s-%s%s' % (input_filename[0],
                                      clip[0].replace(':', '_').strip(),
                                      clip[1].replace(':', '_').strip(),
                                      input_filename[1])
        }

cmd = 'ffmpeg -sameq -ss %(seek)s -t %(duration)d -i %(input)s -async 2 %(output)s' % args
        subprocess.call(cmd)

if __name__ == '__main__':
    import doctest
    doctest.testmod()
    run()

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Pimpin' my request again, 'cause I think it would be super neat-o burrito!

A Firefox extension which opens all links on the current page matching a user-defined regex in new tabs.

RKD
Jul 23, 2003
Resident BOFH
I'd like a simple app made for me to run in a windows env.

The prog would read a list of URLs from a file from which to fetch rss feeds from. Then based on predefined filters it would save links/links-to-files in a text file from all the feeds.

If someone makes this in form of a small utility and have a feature to upload said text file(the result of parsing) via FTP it would be rad.

If someone makes a bash script however for the main part, this would be equally awesome

xobofni
Mar 28, 2003
Thanks Charles Ford and ThatSlacker. I did search around for programs that did this but never found anything.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
I'm looking for a small app which will open up a torrent file and extract the file list + md5/sha1/hash/whatever info. Upon doing so, i need it to look at a certain folder (which i specify), get the md5/sha1/hash/whatever of all the files in that folder, and then rename said files to the correct name specified in the .torrent file if the md5/sha1/hash/whatever matches.

For bonus credit, if all the files in the torrent are in a specific folder, rename the parent folder to what it should be.

=D
http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1193053969

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
I need either a macro for Word 2003/2007 or a global daemon for Mercury mail server.

I need to extract some specific text from every single outgoing email and export it to a text file on a network share. Here is an example:

-------------------------------
[Letterhead]

Ref: Initial Code Matter Code

Dear Blah blah,

This is a test email.

Cheers,

xyz
-------------------------------

The Initial Code and Matter Code are user input fields (so when the document is opened Word asks the user what the put there, as in they are actual "fields" in Word). I need the code to scan the email for that exact text and export it to a text file. I'm told this is a simple coding job but obviously I'm no coder.

I'm even willing to pay a fee for this to be done!

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1193114975

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

Just for curiosity's sake I added Google Analytics to the Monobook skin. If you're paranoid or something but still want to use the website, just select a different skin.

chocojosh
Jun 9, 2007

D00D.

vanjalolz posted:

I'm looking for a small app which will open up a torrent file and extract the file list + md5/sha1/hash/whatever info. Upon doing so, i need it to look at a certain folder (which i specify), get the md5/sha1/hash/whatever of all the files in that folder, and then rename said files to the correct name specified in the .torrent file if the md5/sha1/hash/whatever matches.

For bonus credit, if all the files in the torrent are in a specific folder, rename the parent folder to what it should be.

=D

Can you give an example of what a correct name is and what you mean by "rename the parent folder to what it should be". It would be great if you can give me an example of what kind of files you're expecting to have on your computer and what kind of files you want.

**I will probably not have time to implement this, and I will probably be implementing this for my own learning in LINUX shell scripting. The original request was for a Windows host. Please do not less this question defer you from filling vanalolz request.**

cojo
Apr 28, 2006
true
I've been traveling through Europe the past couple months and instead of posting pictures on myspace or facebook where only users can comment I'd like to be able to throw them up on my own while allowing friends to comment!

It has been so long since I have messed around with php/mysql so yeah. There's my request.

Thank you in advanced.

Uh, I think I'm doing something wrong, but here it goes, anyways,

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Open_Requests

Oh man, this is so wrong.

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

cojo posted:

I've been traveling through Europe the past couple months and instead of posting pictures on myspace or facebook where only users can comment I'd like to be able to throw them up on my own while allowing friends to comment!

It has been so long since I have messed around with php/mysql so yeah. There's my request.

Thank you in advanced.

Uh, I think I'm doing something wrong, but here it goes, anyways,

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Open_Requests

Oh man, this is so wrong.

Not really in the spirit of the thread, but there are lots of photo gallery packages out there, for example http://gallery.menalto.com/ . I only mention that one because Dreamhost has a one-click install for it and they're pretty cheap.

e: Also, flickr is a decent photo host, although they'd still need to register to add comments.

Neurozys fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 25, 2007

painteroflight
Sep 29, 2006
I took trumans advice and shot my child.
I don't know if anyone could do this, but I have been wanting for some time an app that takes two png image files that have alpha and combines them into one png file. If someone could create an app that does this, I would owe them my life.

OS doesn't matter, and if some one was able to build this, I would love to see the source also. It would indeed be a learning experience.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

vanjalolz posted:

=D

I wrote a ruby script that did, in a few test cases on a Linux system, what I think you wanted.

http://pastemonkey.org/paste/4720e64f-96a4-4c04-9ed1-1feb404fdb0d

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
I've just seen this thread for the first time. Great work on the tinyapps wiki, the extensions are great.

Anyway, I saw a request by one "Dicky B" for an app that disables the keyboard while it's running. I presume this is for cleaning the keyboard and stuff.

The app page is here: http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Keyboard_Killer

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

Char posted:

I've just seen this thread for the first time. Great work on the tinyapps wiki, the extensions are great.

Anyway, I saw a request by one "Dicky B" for an app that disables the keyboard while it's running. I presume this is for cleaning the keyboard and stuff.

Love your license :butt:

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

Neurozys posted:

Love your license :butt:

Clearly I can't get enough of this concept, because I've been at it again:

Captain Riggs posted:

I'd like to request an app that would do the following:

Have a timer that could be set by the user (in ms). Once the app was activated (preferably via a hotkey) the timer would be started the next time the left mouse button was clicked. Once the timer hit zero, the mouse would be clicked wherever it was on the screen at that time and then the app would be deactivated until the hotkey was hit again and and the whole thing would repeat.

If it could somehow save the user input number that would be cool but not necessary.

Here's my take on the request: http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Click_Again!

I think I've done everything requested but it's getting late and I may have misinterpreted something. I haven't the faintest idea what this would be useful for though, so if someone could enlighten me it'd be much appreciated.

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

Char posted:

Clearly I can't get enough of this concept, because I've been at it again:

Here's my take on the request: http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Click_Again!

I think I've done everything requested but it's getting late and I may have misinterpreted something. I haven't the faintest idea what this would be useful for though, so if someone could enlighten me it'd be much appreciated.

Ah yes, can't remember what it was for, but I think he was refered to AutoIt for creating macros. Probably several pages back by now. Just goes to show the request queue needs some serious trimming. Happy to have you on board though :)

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Char posted:

:neckbeard: This was a nice surprise. Thanks very much!

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

Someone name Robert Myszor added Mugen Data Rebuild this morning. I'm guessing he doesn't have a forum account, but it's a welcome addition, especially since my terrible, useless 'Mugen Installer' from last year gets some search engine hits. Hopefully this will result in fewer people cursing me, which can only help.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
I need a tool to automatically generate file lists for me to pass them over various batch files I have for zip and file transfer tasks.

It can have a gui if you like, but what I really need is something that can be called from a cmd line or batch file (for scheduled tasks).

I would like to call it using something like this:
filelistgen.exe "D:\dailyupload" "D:\filelistoutput" 4

Which would then do a simple directory listing of the 'dailyupload' folder, and create a filelist1.txt,filelist2.txt,filelist3.txt,filelist4.txt in the 'filelistoutput' folder. The lists would each be 1/4th of the overall listing. Depending on what jobs I could use this in, sometimes I'll only need 2 lists, and others I may need up to 50.

Bonus points:
It can handle recursive directories too.
An 'Update' function. Where the app looks at file and date stamps of files on the directory, and only includes new or updated files in the filelists.
It's compiled with .net, I don't really care what version.
It has an option to launch an app before running, and/or after finishing.

Thanks in advance!

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

Halo_4am posted:

The lists would each be 1/4th of the overall listing.
An 'Update' function. Where the app looks at file and date stamps of files on the directory, and only includes new or updated files in the filelists.

Clarify some requirements - 1/4 of the list by number of files, or 1/4 of the list by total file size. If either of those, why not just input the max number per list or max size per list and have it automatically determine the correct number of lists.

I assume the Update feature would just be based on the last time the application was run, since we don't have access to the destination to determine their dates.

There must be more robust backup solutions than this method, but I guess maybe you're not actually backing up and one of them wouldn't be appropriate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Yes, that's what I meant by update, and there ARE more robust backup and mirroring solutions out there but I won't be able to buy any of them until Q1. My company is holing up whatever finances they have left to ensure they can throw a holiday party, give bonuses, etc. This is a stop-gap measure, and may actually have many uses down the line too, who knows.

In the meantime... I get to vpn in to manually push some files around on a regular basis :(

As far as the filelist thing, perhaps an example will help.

dir /b /s :
C:\TEMP\DISC_SOC3\data.tag
C:\TEMP\DISC_SOC3\data1.cab
C:\TEMP\DISC_SOC3\data1.hdr
C:\TEMP\DISC_SOC3\readme.txt

There are 4 files, if the option were passed with 4, it would drop each file into its own list. If it were passed with 1, then it would drop all files into their own list. If it were passed with 2 the results would be:

filelist1.txt contents:
data.tag
data1.cab

filelist2.txt contents:
data1.hdr
readme.txt

In the event it becomes a non-integer number (example, 5 files trying to get into 2 lists), then the odd numbered file can just be tossed into the last filelist. Giving 2 files listed in the first, and 3 in the second.

I hope this is understandable... I'm not very good at explaining these things.

• Locked thread