Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exploded
Sep 13, 2002
I TAKE ATTRROCIOUS AMMMOUNTS OF ACID SO EVERYBODY will LIKE IT AND BE FNIE
Someone start a new thread about pickups!
I got 3 new pickups in my strat and i am just dying to talk about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

Agreed posted:

I recently replaced the stock AL-HOT pickups in my Agile Ghost III with a set of GFS Dream 180 (neck) and GFS Crunchy Rails (bridge). I have used rail pickups before and never really liked them except for the sheer gain available (Dimebucker and Hot Rails, specifically). The Crunchy Rails blows me away. Much better tonal balance than the Dimebucker, but just as capable of driving the poo poo out of an amp. You might want to check it out, only $33 at https://www.guitarfetish.com. Their construction is at least as good as Seymour Duncan pickups and much better than most house-brand stock pickups - rock-solid housing, high quality winding, impregnated with enough wax to make a candle, and taped nice and tight. The wiring is just like Seymour Duncan's, and they can be wired up any way you please.

It looks like they've got a bit of a backlog on the bridge position Crunchy Rails, but they're worth the wait.

Of course, if you don't like any rail-style pickups, they may not be for you. I will say that they are unimpressive on their own when playing clean (though they blend beautifully with the Dream 180 using the middle position of the guitar's three-way switch), so if you're looking for a pickup with more versatility you might want to go with something else.

Thanks for the recommendation, but I don't have a credit card so I'm going to have to stick to something I can get in Australia. Those look ridiculously good for the price though.

soiree of love
Jul 6, 2002

by R. Guyovich
just got this today
oddly enough i got it in trade for a used voodoo lab preamp, but the carvin was sealed in the box, brand new, 15 minutes out of the factory
it is def not a metal amp, but i have a metal amp already
the tone is wonderfully warm and fuzzy, i love it...and ohhh that new amp smell

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

I got this 5 string Ibanez Soundgear not too long ago. I love it with all of my heart.

All gold hardware, active humbuckers. It's wonderful and sounds amazing. HOWEVER. Today, I went with a friend to a pawn shop. He was going to pawn off some stuff in hopes of getting a new head (He plays in my band, his head broke, we're touring relatively soon. Desperation). Anyway, he pulls out this thing.

I've been playing bass since I was 10 and I've never owned a fretless bass. It's a Fender fretless jazz, and granted it is Mexican, I agreed I'd beat the price of the owner by a good margin since, if I bought it, it was going to be in payments. I know the guy, he's one of my best friends, so he agreed to it. 140 out of pocket, eventually. The guy was offering 100. It retails for about 450, from what I checked. It sounds wonderful. I'm absolutely in love. I just had to post these here.

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

West Ham Sandwich posted:

He was going to pawn off some stuff in hopes of getting a new head (He plays in my band, his head broke, we're touring relatively soon. Desperation).

It took me a while to figure out you were talking about his amp head. :doh:

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Bought my Telecaster, hate it.

It a 90's made in japan standard, the colour scheme is lovelier in person, kinda like caramel. But so far I hate the tuners, I dont know why the hell it has grooves to put the strings in instead of a hole. Could change them but cant be bothered.

Mainly the sound is just too tele like, I've been playing a budget tele copy for years so I assumed a real one would be a logical extension, but my yamaha has a different neck, bridge and pickups to the point where it doesent really feel similar at all.

So its going back on the bay, and I'm going to get either a Yamaha Mike Stern

Which is the upmarket version of what I've been playing for a year, the one I tried played like an absolute goddamn dream. Or a big block strat

Which looks pretty neat but crucially I dont know if I'm gonna be able to try one before I buy it.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Dr. Klas posted:

It took me a while to figure out you were talking about his amp head. :doh:

That makes that sentence all kinds of weird then, doesn't it? :downs:

JoTro
Dec 24, 2006

So tonight I'm gonna party like its 1066!

Swollen Member posted:

Too much. The Strat was ~$850-$900, the Jazzmaster was $1375 and the Les Paul was $2700. My stock has gone absolutely through the roof in the past three months, so I sold a few shares, paid off my student loan debt and treated myself to some new toys.

I think I'd be scared to leave the house with that Les Paul.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
A while ago my uncle and I had gotten to talking about guitars and amps and stuff at a family get-together, and he mentions he can no longer use his tube amp setup in his apartment because it's too big and too loud, and that he'd like it if I took it home with me. :wth:

He tells me he's got a 100w Peavey Rock Master tube head, and what he says is an old 70's home-built Marshall cabinet with standard Marshall speakers. I, of course, am shocked, and we make arrangements to meet up and jam and for me to take his amp home. Well that was months ago, and just today we finally got together and he let me take it home. And wouldn't ya know it...

It's got four 12" vintage Celestion Greenbacks in there! :wth: x

This is the only one with the Celestion label readily apparent, as the others have a circular Marshall label overtop of them in various stages of peeling off, with the Celestion label visible underneath. Is there any way to date these speakers? Ever since I read about Billy Gibbons using them from very early on in ZZ Top, I've been lusting after even just one in a tiny little amp, but this... this is fantastic. A very nice addition to my out-of-commission Ampeg VT-22.

Here's the rig -

Edit: It seems the Celestions might be some rare 1966 models, "T1220, G12M, 102 003."

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 27, 2007

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

Jeedan posted:

I dont know why the hell it has grooves to put the strings in instead of a hole.

There is a hole in the middle of the slot. Cut the string a little long and stick it straight into the tuner then bend it over and start turning the tuner. It will tighten up and you won't have any sharp part sticking out. It's by design.

found this: http://www.theguitarfiles.com/guitarfile712.html

Alfa Tard fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 27, 2007

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Had a sudden urge to learn to play an instrument, specifically the blues harmonica. Just been fooling around a bit with some lessons trying to get the hang of it.

Its a Hohner Blues Harp in C

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!
Well, the Ja(i)zzmaster was leaning against my side door when I got home from work. It's an absolute dream to play.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

Swollen Member posted:

Well, the Ja(i)zzmaster was leaning against my side door when I got home from work. It's an absolute dream to play.

Beautiful guitars! I've always been curious as to what the little black switches are for on jazzmasters

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
They switch the jazz on and off. They're the "go to 11" of the jazz world.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Engine Fortegue posted:

Beautiful guitars! I've always been curious as to what the little black switches are for on jazzmasters

On the top horn? There's only one switch, when up it controls the neck pickup alongside two roller knobs beside it for volume and tone. when the switch is down it controls the 3-way switch on the bottom horn for pickup selection, and the volume/tone knobs below the bridge.

ALackofColor
May 22, 2004
indie goon

I recently won this on eBay for ~50$. I am anxiously awaiting it, and the long uphill learning curve that I'm sure will accompany it.

gvonpaul
Jan 21, 2005
Goober
Just got one of the limited edition 1960 VOS reissue Plain Top Les Pauls. Wow, this thing plays and sounds like a dream. I've had dozens of Pauls over the years, this is by far the best.

And this is what happens when you rock the gently caress out...

Yes that's blood.

Spiral
Dec 20, 2003

gvonpaul posted:

Yes that's blood.

Your guitar is absolutely gorgeous, but that isn't blood. This is blood :)

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

Spiral posted:

Was that used to kill someone?

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
You little ladies need to grow some thick, manly calluses.

gvonpaul
Jan 21, 2005
Goober
I do have callouses, but not on my knuckles...

spiral posted:

My god, that looks brutal.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

gvonpaul posted:

I do have callouses, but not on my knuckles...

Back when I was playing regularly in my punk(ish) band I seriously did have callouses running all the way up the side of my middle and index finger to about halfway between the first and second knuckle. Actually, there's still not much feeling there.

gvonpaul
Jan 21, 2005
Goober
Yes I taught myself to play 30 years ago and i have this horrible fist grip on the pick that i just can't seem to break. I learned a lot of bad habits and im having a hard time breaking them

Spiral
Dec 20, 2003

gvonpaul posted:

My god, that looks brutal.
In my defense I was drunk at that show.

edit: i also play too hard.

gvonpaul
Jan 21, 2005
Goober
I play too hard myself. Some folks might cringe at the thought of bashing a $3000 guitar, but hey, whats the point of having it if you can't play it your way?
<edit> And I'm usually drunk at every show myself...

Reaganomicon
Jan 31, 2004

Flush please

Spiral posted:

Were the acoustics just especially good in that slaughterhouse or something? :aaaaa:

SteelWav
Oct 11, 2007

A Roland Fantom X-7

I'm gonna check out for SRX expansion boards, but for now I'm just trying to tame the beast.

Spiral
Dec 20, 2003

Reaganomicon posted:

Were the acoustics just especially good in that slaughterhouse or something? :aaaaa:
All of that actually came from a suprisingly small cut. I broke the high e string by tearing into the side of my thumb, and it just bled for the rest of the set.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Spiral posted:

All of that actually came from a suprisingly small cut. I broke the high e string by tearing into the side of my thumb, and it just bled for the rest of the set.

Can you post some full photos of that guitar? Was that the same one you had earlier with the manifesto all over it?

Good god I loved the look of that thing, find me drat some pictures!

All About Trout
Jul 17, 2007

Here's some pics of the violin bass I picked up for $150 from Rondo. I wrote a bit about it in the Rondo thread.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
These puppies:

And a non-blurry photo for reference:

A and C key Hohner Blues MS harps, wood body. They have a nice warm sound, and have weathered through a few months of practice and playing stinking drunk.

Edit: Practicing practice? how does that work :v:

George Rouncewell fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 30, 2007

Spiral
Dec 20, 2003

pennywisdom posted:

Can you post some full photos of that guitar? Was that the same one you had earlier with the manifesto all over it?

Good god I loved the look of that thing, find me drat some pictures!
I actually sold that guitar for almost twice what I paid for it. This is a different one.

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3 (w/bonus facial expression)

vac
Jul 10, 2005
:o

Spiral posted:

I actually sold that guitar for almost twice what I paid for it. This is a different one.

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3 (w/bonus facial expression)

What else has that thing been through? Also, what is that (stapled into?) the guitar going from right about the neck pickup ring and down towards the jack?

Spiral
Dec 20, 2003

vac posted:

What else has that thing been through? Also, what is that (stapled into?) the guitar going from right about the neck pickup ring and down towards the jack?
I throw it around or smash it against things at the end of most of my bands shows. So its been through that.

The wiring for the pickup selector is stapled to the outside of the body because its a solid block of wood and I was too lazy to route out a cavity to run the wires in when I moved the pickup selector to the gibson location on the horn instead of the original place down by the knobs.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

shemaghs are so gay its like smegma hahaha
Okay that thing is honestly really badass.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
That thing really does look great. And hey, no worries about people stealing it, anyone who's been to a show of yours should recognize it instantly!

I'm ordering this in 2 days, as soon as I get paid. Been saving for a while now and I can practically taste it.

Fender Thin Skin '62 RI Jaguar

Spiral
Dec 20, 2003

haha thanks dudes, i'll have to post pictures when i finally manage to break it.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Carbohydrates posted:

That thing really does look great. And hey, no worries about people stealing it, anyone who's been to a show of yours should recognize it instantly!

I'm ordering this in 2 days, as soon as I get paid. Been saving for a while now and I can practically taste it.

Fender Thin Skin '62 RI Jaguar

Does "Thin Skin" mean a smaller thickness than usual? Because that thing looks mad skinny compared to a typical Fender.

cylyk
Feb 3, 2006
T_T

Minto Took posted:

Does "Thin Skin" mean a smaller thickness than usual? Because that thing looks mad skinny compared to a typical Fender.

it refers to the finish where it's a thin layer of nitrocellulose with no poly undercoat I believe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Minto Took posted:

In addition, though I don't know which dimension you're referring to, Jags are pretty tiny guitars overall.