Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

the_steve posted:

I get the feeling that the rez attempt won't be so subtle.
It'll be something like a bellhop showing up to Roy and saying he has a Resurrection request.

Or, he'll get to some receptionist desk and the person behind it will give Roy a list of missed calls and messages for him.

Won't be the receptionist. When Roy was talking to his little brother he said something like "You must not have known to go through the door". So I imagine it's fairly obvious if they tried to raise him.

And this occured to me when I read the latest, remember that other adventurer who just went through the revolving door when he arrived? drat good foreshadowing if you ask me. It felt like something was odd with a cleric having the exact spell needed to raise his companion, since usually you have some leeway in when a person can be raised from the dead. With the difference in time rate, it's possible it took overnight for his friends to raise him, but in heaven it's so fast you don't even have time to stop. You just run on through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Grampa Horace seems like a nice guy, but since Eugene hates him as much as Roy hates Eugene there's probably something nasty in his past.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Schwarzwald posted:

Grampa Horace seems like a nice guy, but since Eugene hates him as much as Roy hates Eugene there's probably something nasty in his past.

I would think that the correct interpretation of that all would simply be, "Eugene is a total dick, and if he hates you, you are probably doing something right."

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Schwarzwald posted:

It's not impossible that Horace has some sort of unrevealed faults, but as things are its completely believable that Horace just didn't know how to relate to someone like Eugene. It sounds like he tried to be the best father he could, but all his interests and skills were at odds with Eugene's, making the whole thing awkward and unsuccessful. Eugene probably grew up resenting him for never appreciating his books and his learning and trying to pressure him into being a fighter.

I mean, you might be right, but I don't think you need dark secrets for a parental relationship to be strained. v:shobon:v

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ashcans posted:

It's not impossible that Horace has some sort of unrevealed faults, but as things are its completely believable that Horace just didn't know how to relate to someone like Eugene. It sounds like he tried to be the best father he could, but all his interests and skills were at odds with Eugene's, making the whole thing awkward and unsuccessful. Eugene probably grew up resenting him for never appreciating his books and his learning and trying to pressure him into being a fighter.

I mean, you might be right, but I don't think you need dark secrets for a parental relationship to be strained. v:shobon:v

That and ya know, "always been a grumpy old man at heart". Eugene is an rear end.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Ashcans posted:

That's more or less exactly what Eugene tells Roy about Horace in Start of Darkness.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Always wanted to do this...

New strip is up!!

Not sure the rehosting is even necessary anymore, but still:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Roy's mom is a big ol' slut.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

FMguru posted:

Roy's mom is a big ol' slut.

You know, if it were possible to have sex for eight weeks at a time, I can't think of anyone I know who wouldn't.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

I will laugh if strip #500 is nothing more than Eugene showing Roy what happened/is happening, and the entire group is crucified.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
Well, I guess I was right last page. Didn't take a Rocket Surgeon to guess that one though.

More difficult prediction: When Roy is finally resurrected, or maybe a while after, he'll get a costume change to one more similar to his Grandfather's, at least in color, to match his sword.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

sansuki posted:

I will laugh if strip #500 is nothing more than Eugene showing Roy what happened/is happening, and the entire group is crucified.

Place your bets, who's still alive down below!

Maybe it's just me, but ever since Burlew took that break, OOTS has been really on its a-game. I hope he can keep it up.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
It's entirely possible that not much has happened down below. Elan, V, Durkon, and Hinjo could still be out at sea, staying alive with Create Food & Water spells but slowly succumbing to cabin fever. Haley and Belkar could be living La Vida Insurgent, and they're the ones the most capable of pulling it off. Roy's body probably really stinks by now; maybe Haley has ditched/destroyed it and is hoping to scare up a Resurrection or True Res down the line.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
This is going to be one awkward next strip. I can't wait.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

IMJack posted:

Roy's body probably really stinks by now; maybe Haley has ditched/destroyed it and is hoping to scare up a Resurrection or True Res down the line.

Belkar has to stay within X distance of it.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

terminal mehmet posted:

Wasn't it one mile or something? Its possible they have just interred the body somewhere and Belkar is careful about how far he goes.

Comedy option: Belkar is now the proud wearer of a belt made of Roy's bones and skin.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I don't know why but the end of this strip had me literally rolling in my chair, however that's possible, I totally lost it when Eugene went "Well, well, well the prodigal son returns" He's probably been working on that comeback for months.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

terminal mehmet posted:

Aren't we unsure at this point on if the Mark of justice was ever placed on him to begin with?

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

Johnny Aztec posted:

Aren't we unsure at this point on if the Mark of justice was ever placed on him to begin with?

Where did that come from? http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0295.html shows pretty clearly that he has SOME rune on him- and I don't see any reason for the (lawful) group of paladins to lie about what it is.

quick edit: Okay, so it was the work of the (not lawful) Shojo- I still can't really see why he'd lie about it though.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American

IMJack posted:

Elan, V, Durkon, and Hinjo could still be out at sea, staying alive with Create Food & Water spells but slowly succumbing to cabin fever.

Wouldn't create food and water be a conjuration spell? That's V's forbidden school.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

The Werle posted:

Wouldn't create food and water be a conjuration spell? That's V's forbidden school.

:eng101: It's also a 3rd level Cleric spell; as Durkon is apparently 13th level, he can create enough food and water for 39 humans to survive for a day with each casting. He can probably cast it 4+ times daily.

Eckertmania
May 11, 2007

"'Hey, a computer took your place, daddy.' That's hard times! That's hard times!"

Ashcans posted:

:eng101: It's also a 3rd level Cleric spell; as Durkon is apparently 13th level, he can create enough food and water for 39 humans to survive for a day with each casting. He can probably cast it 4+ times daily.

At minimum, it would be 5 times a day. 6 if he has a WIS boosting item with an already high WIS.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Eckertmania posted:

At minimum, it would be 5 times a day. 6 if he has a WIS boosting item with an already high WIS.

And maybe more if he uses his higher level spell slots. Or can Clerics not do that...? I'm not too well read on spells.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Manyorcas posted:

And maybe more if he uses his higher level spell slots. Or can Clerics not do that...? I'm not too well read on spells.
"Sigh, I'm out of lower spell slots. I guess I'll just cast Maximized Extended Create Food and Water :( "

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Jonked posted:

"Sigh, I'm out of lower spell slots. I guess I'll just cast Maximized Extended Create Food and Water :( "

"Stop doing that! You almost sank the boat that time! If you're bored, go slay some fish or something!"

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Jonked posted:

I always thought you could just use a higher level spell slot without the metamagic feats. You gave up a higher level spell in exchange, so it wasn't too overpowered. Could be wrong though.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

seaborgium posted:

I always thought you could just use a higher level spell slot without the metamagic feats. You gave up a higher level spell in exchange, so it wasn't too overpowered. Could be wrong though.

You can, but if you have an appropriate metamagic feat there's no reason not to use it.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Ashcans posted:

Comedy option: Belkar is now the proud wearer of a belt made of Roy's bones and skin.

I do not actually think this is necessarily the comedy option. It would be a hilarious option, yes, but even a neutral character, or a chaotic enough chaotic good character, would probably see nothing wrong with getting around the Mark of Justice by carving Roy up. It is not like Roy needs that body to come back, after all.

Of course, I wonder how much of Roy would constitute "his position?" Maybe any single piece of Roy would work!

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Quarex posted:

Of course, I wonder how much of Roy would constitute "his position?" Maybe any single piece of Roy would work!

Yeah, I was wondering about that. You could get into some weird experiments, where, say, you split his body in half and took one part away from Belkar to determine if it's the half with the 'position'. If not, it's the other half. So you take the winning half and divide it in half again. Repeat.

Eventually, you're either going to find out something interesting about the nature of being, or really piss off your GM.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
Is anyone else f5ing in anticipation for the 2 page spread that's likely to come tomorrow on strip 500?

I feel like a dork.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

NutShellBill posted:

Is anyone else f5ing in anticipation for the 2 page spread that's likely to come tomorrow on strip 500?

I feel like a dork.

I guess that makes us both dorks, the wait is killing me.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I'm actually giddy with anticipation, the last few installments have been fantastic and he's probably going to show us what has happened during Roy's three month absence in all it's glory.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
God dammit people don't post here until it's updated! I got all excited :(.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Bill started it! I just didn't want to suffer alone any more. :(

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
The comic updated!

Wait, nevermind, false alarm.

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb

Jonked posted:

The comic updated!

You son of a bitch!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Jonked posted:

The comic updated!

I WILL END YOU! :black101:

Twerpling
Oct 12, 2005
The Funambulist

Jonked posted:

The comic updated!

rear end in a top hat!

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
Hahahhahahaha! Why doesn't this happen more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

The Werle posted:

Hahahhahahaha! Why doesn't this happen more?

Because everyone's busy reading the comic that really did just update now.