Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Synonamess Botch posted:

In addition, though I don't know which dimension you're referring to, Jags are pretty tiny guitars overall.

I was referring to the thickness of the body as it seems skinnier than usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Minto Took posted:

I was referring to the thickness of the body as it seems skinnier than usual.

It's just pictured at an angle.

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!

Synonamess Botch posted:

In addition, though I don't know which dimension you're referring to, Jags are pretty tiny guitars overall.

Jaguars have a shorter scale than almost every single other Fender guitar. Most Fender guitars have a 25.5" scale length, whereas the Jaguar (and the Mustang) have a 24" scale length. Most Gibson guitars have a 24.75" scale length. Other than the scale length though, the Jaguar isn't much (if at all) smaller than a Jazzmaster and it's certainly larger than almost every other solid body electric guitar I have played. In fact, it was purposely designed to be larger because it is designed (well the Jazzmaster was anyways) to be played in the seated position -- the designers gave it more girth so it would sit well in your lap.

Here's some comparison pictures of my Jaguar and some other guitars. Note that it's not small by any means other than it's scale length (length from nut to saddles).

The Telecaster is new!

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Swollen Member posted:

Jaguars have a shorter scale than almost every single other Fender guitar. Most Fender guitars have a 25.5" scale length, whereas the Jaguar (and the Mustang) have a 24" scale length. Most Gibson guitars have a 24.75" scale length. Other than the scale length though, the Jaguar isn't much (if at all) smaller than a Jazzmaster and it's certainly larger than almost every other solid body electric guitar I have played. In fact, it was purposely designed to be larger because it is designed (well the Jazzmaster was anyways) to be played in the seated position -- the designers gave it more girth so it would sit well in your lap.

Here's some comparison pictures of my Jaguar and some other guitars. Note that it's not small by any means other than it's scale length (length from nut to saddles).

The Telecaster is new!

Why are those guitars on the bed? You're about to have sex with them, aren't you?

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Swollen Member posted:

Jaguars have a shorter scale than almost every single other Fender guitar.

I appreciate the info and I love your guitars, but for the record, I own a Jag. :) I always considered it to be smaller than any electric I've ever owned (which would be a couple semi-hollows, an LP and a Tele) but I'm clearly wrong. It's possible that it's just the scale throwing my perception off. In any case, the size and feel of it was the selling point for me - it's the comfiest guitar I've ever played, ever.

Synonamess Botch fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 1, 2007

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!

Synonamess Botch posted:

In any case, the size and feel of it was the selling point for me - it's the comfiest guitar I've ever played, ever.

Absolutely! And sorry for the misunderstanding with the size thing, I just happened to be noodling around with it as I was reading your post and I suppose it is subjective perception -- no matter what size it is, it sure is comfy though.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

mofolotopo posted:

Why are those guitars on the bed? You're about to have sex with them, aren't you?

Wouldn't you?

:commissar:
(Formerly Colonial Air Force)

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.

RSPsych0 posted:

Wouldn't you?

Can you remove all the pointy metal bits, first?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Synonamess Botch posted:

In any case, the size and feel of it was the selling point for me - it's the comfiest guitar I've ever played, ever.
This bodes well for me. All this talk about Jags is just making me more excited for it. Wonder how long it'll take to ship.

Swollen, how much does the Jaguar weigh against the others present there? I'm thinking it'd weigh more than all of them but it's been a while since I actually played one.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Nov 1, 2007

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
After being a bass player on and off (mostly off) for the best part of 15 years, I broke down and finally got a guitar

A left-handed Schecter S-1 Blackjack.

Now mostly I'm a metal guy... However that didn't stop me from turning the reverb up on the amp, pulling the coil tap out on the guitar, playing twelve bar blues, and mumbling "Hello, I'm Johnny Cash" for an hour.

I'd describe my skill level as "beginner", but drat, this thing just sings.

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!

Carbohydrates posted:

Swollen, how much does the Jaguar weigh against the others present there? I'm thinking it'd weigh more than all of them but it's been a while since I actually played one.

Mine weighs 8.6 lbs, but it doesn't feel that heavy. The Tele and Les Paul feel much heavier.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Swollen Member posted:

Jaguars have a shorter scale than almost every single other Fender guitar. Most Fender guitars have a 25.5" scale length, whereas the Jaguar (and the Mustang) have a 24" scale length.

Actually, not all Mustangs had a 24" scale length. Some of the older "Student Model" 'stangs had an even shorter 22.5" scale. I wish they still made them, as a 22.5" scale is the most comfortable for me to play, and the stangs were total hotness. :smith:

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?

AstroZamboni posted:

Actually, not all Mustangs had a 24" scale length. Some of the older "Student Model" 'stangs had an even shorter 22.5" scale. I wish they still made them, as a 22.5" scale is the most comfortable for me to play, and the stangs were total hotness. :smith:

You can still get Duo-sonics and Duo-sonic IIs for fairly decent prices on eBay (although they're rising). Those are 22.5"

Or just get a duo-sonic neck for a couple of hundred.

Or get the not-as-good MIM Duo-sonics.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Susano-maku da! posted:

Or just get a duo-sonic neck for a couple of hundred.
Minor roadblock: Unless the neck is designed as a conversion from one scale to another (like the Warmoth types), mixing scale lengths on a guitar won't work without relocating the bridge - and in the case of a Jag/JM, you'd have to move the bridge pickup as well.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders
I just picked up a Shure SM 57 because I felt the world needed to hear my terrible bedroom recordings. Thus far the mission have been a complete success.

Previously I had been recording into my latop's microphone jack from the headphone out on my amp or using a lovely computer mic.

Things are much better now, inputing the mic into the laptop byway of an Mbox.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

Squier Jazz for modding fun. So far just a D tuner has been added.

Alfa Tard fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 2, 2007

Golden War
Jan 18, 2004

My new Schecter Stiletto Studio 4-string. It's a nice chunk of wood.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
BWOOP ZZZORP

Brand new Prophet'08, a new fully-analog synth from Dave Smith, founder of Sequential Circuits.

Essentially a grown up 8-voice Prophet 5. Fat, punchy, warm - all the things I love about the real deal.

At home beneath its 25-year-old distant cousin, an old SCI Pro-One. Like many Pro-Ones, this one's crappy membrane keyboard is dead, so I'm getting ready to replace the membranes with a row of microswitches. And that impostor MS2000R might soon get the boot.

sigtrap fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 3, 2007

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

sigtrap posted:

At home beneath its 25-year-old distant cousin, an old SCI Pro-One. Like many Pro-Ones, this one's crappy membrane keyboard is dead, so I'm getting ready to replace the membranes with a row of microswitches. And that impostor MS2000R might soon get the boot.

Do you mind if I masturbate to this? Oops, too late.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

sigtrap posted:

And that impostor MS2000R might soon get the boot.

I want it.

... Actually, I want that Prophet08, but I'll settle for the 2000R.

mad for pancakes
Jul 21, 2001
Just bought myself this beauty:

My first tube amp, a Crate v32 Palomino 2x12 with 30 watts of Class A heaven.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Chalupa Joe posted:

After being a bass player on and off (mostly off) for the best part of 15 years, I broke down and finally got a guitar

(images)

Now mostly I'm a metal guy... However that didn't stop me from turning the reverb up on the amp, pulling the coil tap out on the guitar, playing twelve bar blues, and mumbling "Hello, I'm Johnny Cash" for an hour.

Congratulations, my friend. I'm probably the biggest Schecter advocate around here, and the S1 is an amazing instrument. It looks like you already have real Seymour Duncan pickups (instead of the stock Duncan Designed pickups Schecter puts in them), so you won't really have to do anything to it.

Spiral
Dec 20, 2003

mad for pancakes posted:

Just bought myself this beauty:
My first tube amp, a Crate v32 Palomino 2x12 with 30 watts of Class A heaven.
My friends combined have about a half a dozen of these amps. They are awesome but treat them nicely or they absolutely will break.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Lobster Johnson
Sep 23, 2004

jealous of the flies and the worms inside me
That thing is wrong, just plain wrong.

I'm happy these guitar of the week models aren't making it over to Aus. I would be so drat broke :sweatdrop:

Bobulot
May 7, 2007

Can you pleasssse post more pictures of it? It's like that cardboard guitar from the video for Breaking The Law came to life after 27 years.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004
Not quite the model I have, but my camera broke recently and the 70s advertisement is cooler anyway.

It's not a "real" Hammond, but the Leslie sounds delicious and the Rhythm II is great in a cheesy way. Plus, I can't complain for free :)

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Bobulot posted:

Can you pleasssse post more pictures of it? It's like that cardboard guitar from the video for Breaking The Law came to life after 27 years.

Yeah, I'll post them tomorrow. Also, is there such a thing as new guitar smell? Because this thing smells like play-doh.

CardinalBiggles
Jul 27, 2007
Went down to GC today to pick up my set of cymbals. Seems everybody working in the drum department gave em a whack. Even folks from other sections of the store were asking, "You the one with the Giant Beats?" poo poo yeah. Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera right now, so no pics yet.

While I was there I did a bit of looking around and ended up buying a pair of Mackie 824 mkII's

(again, no camera)

I A/B'd the 824's, 624's, Event SP8's, and a pair of BM5A's. These stood well above the others.

And then I was just kind of fiddling around to waste more time when I found this

I love this thing! Great sounding cheesy synths are made simple and intuitive. Just turn a few knobs, press a button, hit a chord, and BLAMMO! Of course there's more to the machine, but I've only had it a few hours and it's fun as hell.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Chalupa Joe posted:

I hope you like cleaning things. I love my 007 Blackjack, but god loving damnit does it ever get dusty and scratch easily. I have a million little microscratches on my guitar.

What do you think of the 59 on the blackjack? I love the JB, but I find the 59 reminds me way too much of the neck pickup on my explorer, mostly just mud no matter how I try to tweak my pod/amp.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Crustashio posted:

I hope you like cleaning things. I love my 007 Blackjack, but god loving damnit does it ever get dusty and scratch easily. I have a million little microscratches on my guitar.

What do you think of the 59 on the blackjack? I love the JB, but I find the 59 reminds me way too much of the neck pickup on my explorer, mostly just mud no matter how I try to tweak my pod/amp.

I'm used to the cleaning, left-handed guitars/basses all seem to be a case of any colour you want, so long as it's gloss black. :(

As for the pickups, the 59 sounds really good clean, but horrible with distortion, the JB just sounds awesome.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Oh God before I went for the '62 RI Jaguar, I stopped by Guitar Center for strings for my acoustic... and...

Well, no more Jag. I splurged and bought my dream guitar. Oh, and this one's got a one-piece top rather than bookmatched, which I'd never seen before.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

kahm
May 13, 2004

what's goin' on in this fridge

Handen posted:

I idolize your guitar collection, I just want you to know that. I'd do anything to get one of those bluish GIS Jaguar reissues.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

Carbohydrates posted:

Oh God before I went for the '62 RI Jaguar, I stopped by Guitar Center for strings for my acoustic... and...

Well, no more Jag. I splurged and bought my dream guitar. Oh, and this one's got a one-piece top rather than bookmatched, which I'd never seen before.

Welcome to the club :hfive:

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

kahm posted:

I idolize your guitar collection, I just want you to know that. I'd do anything to get one of those bluish GIS Jaguar reissues.

There's a modified light blue JGS-75 on eBay right now. :)

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?

Uncle Caveman posted:

Minor roadblock: Unless the neck is designed as a conversion from one scale to another (like the Warmoth types), mixing scale lengths on a guitar won't work without relocating the bridge - and in the case of a Jag/JM, you'd have to move the bridge pickup as well.

That I didn't know. I was planning on buying a warmoth jag neck to replace the neck on my MIK Squire Strat or get a telecaster body and go short scale.

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

Carbohydrates posted:

that's a beautiful top!

Bobulot
May 7, 2007

Handen posted:

Awesome, I think this is probably my favourite Gibson guitar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
Since this is sort of a guitar-buying thread, I'll throw this in here: Where are some good shops for guitars in London (preferably in Zone 1) - I have no idea how to weed out the lists of stores I find online, and there seems to be a distinct lack of websites associated with them. I'm not looking for anything over the top, I just need an acoustic to last me about 12 months while I'm in the UK - new or used.