Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Capnbigboobies posted:

For those that made the magnetic loop antennas could you show me how the tuning capacitor is connected to the loop. I looked at the instructions, but I am still confused. I found an old fm/am radio and want to buy the rest of the parts, but I am unsure exactly how its connected. Thank you. If you could perhaps take a closeup picture of it that would be great!

http://www.kr1st.com/tunecap.gif

That shows the capacitor to loop connections and shows what tabs to short. Keep in mind your loop needs to be cut and the ends separated inside the pvc pipe thats pictured.

drat you thread I haven't played around with SW in 10-15 years but I have to find me a receiver now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004
Ok so c1 threw c4 are joined together and then the whole thing is attached to the braid shown on the left? Then the center pin is attached to the right side of the main loop? There is a lot going on in that picture and its fairly low resolution. Anybody have a picture without text and mspaint all over it?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Okay, last night while tuning around the Ham bands I heard 2 people screaming obscenities at each other. That was a little strange.

So in December I'll be going to stay for a couple of weeks with my Dad and stepmom a ways outside of Del Norte Colorado. They basically live on the outskirts of the suburbs of an outlying community way out on the rear end end of bum gently caress nowhere.

PERFECT!

I'll be bringing along my E5 and spool antenna (maybe even converting my current slinky array into a slinky dipole and bringing it along, since it doesn't take up much space in a suitcase) and doing some SERIOUS DXing. I'll be trying to pull in some DISTANT number stations. I'll try and get recordings, if I'm lucky.

Very much hoping I can pull in Lincolnshire Poacher and E10 for the first time on this trip. Wish me luck!

java
May 7, 2005

AstroZamboni posted:

They basically live on the outskirts of the suburbs of an outlying community way out on the rear end end of bum gently caress nowhere.

PERFECT!

Speaking of trips like that, I'm heading to Australia for a month in three months, planning on bringing the E5 with me. I can't wait to see what I can manage to pick up half way around the world.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Automaton Empire posted:

Speaking of trips like that, I'm heading to Australia for a month in three months, planning on bringing the E5 with me. I can't wait to see what I can manage to pick up half way around the world.

I am insanely jealous and I hate you with all my heart.

Have fun!

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

At work, my boss brought a homebrew dipole to work the other day and strung it along the back wall of the building, leading in to an ICOM receiver in his office. We invited some people over to listen to "Cherry Ripe."

It was keen, good time had by all.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
Small update for the thread:

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
I just ordered an Eton E5 for 150 plus 15 shipping. Then from ebay I got a Sony AN-LP1 for 80 bucks. So, there's another $245 bucks for the thread totals. I can't wait to get this radio.

I'm currently in the middle east, and I was wondering if I'll be able to pick up American broadcasts from here. It would be like a little slice of home if I could, but if not, oh well. At least I'll be able to get a lot of other stuff here.

Edit: Oh yeah, I also got the Passport 2007, so there's another 18 bucks, you goddamn assholes.

U.S. Barryl fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 15, 2007

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

I recently bought a Tentec 1054 Shortwave radio kit and built the whole thing. When I attached my antenna and tried to listen to some stations, though, I was never abl;e to get anything. All I'm hearing is a loud hum and some hissing, and whenever I touch the dials, the hissing gets louder. I don't have a ground wire in,(the manual said it wasn't necessary, but I'm starting to doubt that)but I don't really know what to attach my ground wire to. It's in a basement studio, and there's not much down there. There's a concrete floor, and no real access to the outside. Could I just ground it to a table leg or something? I'm not really sure what to do with it. Any help would be appreciated.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

U.S. Barryl posted:

I'm currently in the middle east, and I was wondering if I'll be able to pick up American broadcasts from here. It would be like a little slice of home if I could, but if not, oh well. At least I'll be able to get a lot of other stuff here.

Good news: You may be able to receive AFRTS, although I don't know if they target the Middle East with their shortwave service.

Gooder news: VOA broadcasts a shitload to Africa, and you should be able to pick a lot of that up.

U.S. Barryl posted:

Edit: Oh yeah, I also got the Passport 2007, so there's another 18 bucks, you goddamn assholes.
Bad news: the new edition comes out in two weeks. :( I'd cancel the order if possible if I were you.

nmfree fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 15, 2007

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Natron posted:

I recently bought a Tentec 1054 Shortwave radio kit and built the whole thing. When I attached my antenna and tried to listen to some stations, though, I was never abl;e to get anything. All I'm hearing is a loud hum and some hissing, and whenever I touch the dials, the hissing gets louder. I don't have a ground wire in,(the manual said it wasn't necessary, but I'm starting to doubt that)but I don't really know what to attach my ground wire to. It's in a basement studio, and there's not much down there. There's a concrete floor, and no real access to the outside. Could I just ground it to a table leg or something? I'm not really sure what to do with it. Any help would be appreciated.

If you have a metal cold water pipe under your sink, you may be able to ground it to that. However, being in a basement studio is probably not the best place for reception.

U.S. Barryl posted:

I just ordered an Eton E5 for 150 plus 15 shipping. Then from ebay I got a Sony AN-LP1 for 80 bucks. So, there's another $245 bucks for the thread totals. I can't wait to get this radio.

Duly added, and I might just have a bridge to sell you as well.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

To bump this thread...

quote:

BBC prepares for giant shake-up
By Torin Douglas
Media correspondent, BBC News

Plans for sweeping changes at the BBC over the next six years are being discussed on Wednesday by the BBC Trust, which represents licence-payers.

Substantial job cuts are expected, particularly in the news and factual television departments.

When BBC director general Mark Thompson presents his new six-year strategy to the BBC Trust members today, it should not come as any great surprise to them.

His proposals have been discussed with them and their advisers over several months. Indeed, some of the details have been widely leaked - though just how accurately remains to be seen.

That doesn't reduce the meeting's significance. While Thompson runs the BBC day-to-day, with an executive board, the trust's job is to approve the strategy and ensure the BBC is run in the public interest, on behalf of licence-payers.

This is one of its few big opportunities to influence that process.

Difficult choices

The BBC's future is assured for at least 10 years under its new Royal Charter and Agreement.

The licence fee is secure for the next six years - but the settlement with the government was significantly lower than the BBC asked for.

That means difficult choices must be made, not least because the digital revolution is gathering pace.

Investment must be made in a range of new media, on top of the existing output for TV, radio and the BBC website.

Rapid changes in technology and audience demands - notably the emergence of Google, YouTube, Facebook and broadband-enabled catch-up services for radio and TV - mean questions of what the BBC is for, and how it should be run, are having to be asked again.

The trust is expected to approve Mark Thompson's plans for a significant shift in the corporation's strategy.

'Fewer, bigger, better'

Some of this is already clear. He wants the BBC to concentrate its creative energy and resources on what he says it does best - high quality, distinctive content.

He wants a smaller BBC, producing less for TV, radio and online, but to a higher standard - "fewer, bigger, better."

He has also ruled out closing channels such as BBC Three or BBC Four, which means material is likely to be repeated more often. That's not seen as a particular problem, provided it is done cleverly and creatively.

With so many more channels, fewer people see a programme when it's first transmitted - and as former BBC director general Greg Dyke once said, it's only a repeat if you've seen it before.

The BBC will also be investing more in new technology to ensure that licence-payers can find the BBC's content when and where they choose - online and on mobiles, as well as on radio and TV.

Criticism and opposition

Mr Thompson sees these as "amazing new opportunities". But with a licence fee lower than the BBC asked for and demands for greater efficiency, there will also be substantial cuts in some departments' budgets.

It is known that more than 2,000 job cuts are proposed and that the newsrooms for television, radio and the website are due to be merged.

Fewer hours of TV programmes will be commissioned, and the factual television department is expected to face substantial cuts.

That has already prompted criticism from well-known presenters such as John Humphrys and Jeremy Paxman, and petitions to the trust on behalf of the existing newsrooms and documentary strands such as Storyville and Timewatch.

The National Union of Journalists has said it will lobby trust members as they go into the meeting - and the opposition will not end there.

If the plans - due to be published at lunchtime on Thursday - turn out as expected, they could lead to industrial action.
Why should we care? When the BBC decided to drastically cut back their SW presence, a major voice was lost to history. For just about as long as I can remember, 5975 was *the* place to go during the evening to get news and a lot of great features, along with 9745 (HCJB) and 9755 (Radio Canada Int'l). If a person in the US wasn't interested in chasing DX on a given night, those three channels would fill the entire night with entertainment.

That being said, the Beeb still broadcasts (although not directly to the USA anymore), and still has a fair reputation for their news reporting. In the grand scheme, if these budget cutbacks are as drastic as they sound, we may lose the BBC on shortwave forever. :(

Just a little food for thought.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

nmfree posted:

To bump this thread...

Why should we care? When the BBC decided to drastically cut back their SW presence, a major voice was lost to history. For just about as long as I can remember, 5975 was *the* place to go during the evening to get news and a lot of great features, along with 9745 (HCJB) and 9755 (Radio Canada Int'l). If a person in the US wasn't interested in chasing DX on a given night, those three channels would fill the entire night with entertainment.

That being said, the Beeb still broadcasts (although not directly to the USA anymore), and still has a fair reputation for their news reporting. In the grand scheme, if these budget cutbacks are as drastic as they sound, we may lose the BBC on shortwave forever. :(

Just a little food for thought.

This makes the baby jesus cry. Oh well, another one bites the dust.

At least Radio Netherlands is still kicking mighty mighty rear end on the SW dials.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

:woop: I got the 2008 edition of Passport today! :woop:

I'm tired, and have been out at the bars all night, so I'll give my initial impressions and follow up tomorrow when I have a chance to read the book more thoroughly:

The essay portion is an article about shortwave in Tangier and Trans World Radio.

The reciever section is thinner than before, because there are fewer recievers on the market.
- There are, however, several new recievers reviewed.

They included the review sections of outdoor and indoor antennas, which is a definite plus.

Their hour-by-hour "TV Guide" section is thinner than in past years, or so it seems.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
I got the 2007 about 2 months ago, I was angst ridden over getting that or waiting, I'm glad I got it then, but I think I'll be ordering the new one soon. Although it's not like the '07 version is 'off', most of the stations I've found, or tuned to have been listed in the guide correctly. I wish passport would be a subscription, so that you could just log in and get up to date info via searchable database, for the low low price of $5/month, or so.

Paratus
Jul 1, 2004
Add to the damages:

$150 for an Eton E5 shortwave. Almost bought the Sony, then I read a review on a site that said you have to hit a button to switch channels or some such, where the E5 scrolls merrily on through. The Sony, however is up for $150 on amazon, instead of the $200 that is supposedly the MSRP.

Don't know if this counts, but I bought it because it was what I've been eyeballing forever and I figure I might as well get it now...
$80 for a Uniden BC72XLT scanner.

And the $16 or so for the 2007 Passport. What's the difference between the years?

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I picked up a Kaito WRX-911 recently after seeing a piece-of-poo poo Lifelong portable in Walgreen's piqued my interest. (Bought it before seeing this thread, but if I pick up a reel antenna for it I'll add it to the total.)

It's a toy compared to the radios most of you have, but it's fun scanning up and down the bands to see what turns up. I've found one numbers station in Spanish, a variety of stuff in Spanish, French and far east languages, a bunch of Christian sermons, BBC news, some sort of radio hobbyist program on Radio Havana and some quirky music so far.

I'll keep an eye out for a bigger unit on the cheap at my usual flea/thrift spots and muck about with a ghetto wire + alligator clip antenna extension for now.

TimeLady
Jul 30, 2007
TARDIS calling.
The DXing program on Radio Havana, you might be interested to know, is hosted by one of the men who fought against the Bay of Pigs invasion.

He's also considered a "hero" in the Cuban ham radio community for building his own ham radio out of various parts, including a Soviet fax machine.

Also, I can still receive the BBC on shortwave. (Antigua transmitter?) The last time I tuned into it was a few days ago, walking to class, and the program was BBC Caribbean. I learned that the sugar cane lobby is not as powerful on Trinidad as it once was.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Cool, welcome to the club everyone!

Paratus posted:

And the $16 or so for the 2007 Passport. What's the difference between the years?
The program info is more up-to-date, although at least some of that stuff hasn't changed in the last year; the review section reflects new products on the market (including the $13,500 Icom R-9500 professional reciever :gizz: ); and the features articles are different.

Don't worry too much about the program info being out-of date, you'll be able to find a lot of that info on the web, it's just nice to have it all in one place.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Paratus posted:

Add to the damages:

$150 for an Eton E5 shortwave. Almost bought the Sony, then I read a review on a site that said you have to hit a button to switch channels or some such, where the E5 scrolls merrily on through. The Sony, however is up for $150 on amazon, instead of the $200 that is supposedly the MSRP.

Don't know if this counts, but I bought it because it was what I've been eyeballing forever and I figure I might as well get it now...
$80 for a Uniden BC72XLT scanner.

Added, and you pushed the drain over seven thousand dollars.

When I started this monstrosity I thought it might go for three pages if I was lucky, and maybe encourage one or two people to try out shortwave. Now I'm at 30 pages and 46 people have bought radios because of it.

Everybody in this thread loving rocks and the end result of this thread has given me a massive boner. Thank you all!

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Ok gang, I got all the materials to try and build the homebrew mag loop and I'm stuck.

I bought a cheap rear end am/fm radio for the tuning capacitor and I can't figure out how to get the drat thing off the circuit board. I've been trying to use my old crappy soldering gun to melt away the solder on the pins and tabs on the underside of the board and scraping it away as it cools with an x-acto knife. It's kind of working, but not really. What's the trick?

Or do I just keep at it hoping the trick is actually just patience?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

AnimalChin posted:

It's kind of working, but not really. What's the trick?
You may have to twist or bend the tabs after unsoldering, they're often used as mechanical support for the component as well as a solder point.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

nmfree posted:

You may have to twist or bend the tabs after unsoldering, they're often used as mechanical support for the component as well as a solder point.

After looking again at the guide it looks as if I don't even need the stuff on the bottom of the capicitor. Can I just chop it all off from under the circuit board?

I'm retarded when it comes to electronics. This is my first project envolving this sort of stuff, not including when I tried soldering a 1/8" plug to a bunch of speaker wire (which didn't work for poo poo).

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

AnimalChin posted:

After looking again at the guide it looks as if I don't even need the stuff on the bottom of the capicitor. Can I just chop it all off from under the circuit board?
You're going to need the little leads on the bottom, because that's how you connect to the capacitor itself. The tabs can get cut off, though.

Paratus
Jul 1, 2004

AstroZamboni posted:

Added, and you pushed the drain over seven thousand dollars.

When I started this monstrosity I thought it might go for three pages if I was lucky, and maybe encourage one or two people to try out shortwave. Now I'm at 30 pages and 46 people have bought radios because of it.

Everybody in this thread loving rocks and the end result of this thread has given me a massive boner. Thank you all!

Glad to have assisted in erecting a goon.

The shortwave is weird, haven't really gotten to fiddle with it much, but I picked up a numbers station (really faint, and I can't find it again) reading off NATO alphabet stuff. Freaked out some coworkers.

Also, the scanner picks up phoenix PD operations channel really well, though I wish I'd gotten the $250 Uniden handheld that does trunked freqs. Oh well. It was way expensive anyway, and this $80 picks up enough interesting stuff. Heard a domestic issue dispatch get assigned earlier, and then something about a carjacking.

Numbers stations are weird.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Paratus posted:

Also, the scanner picks up phoenix PD operations channel really well, though I wish I'd gotten the $250 Uniden handheld that does trunked freqs. Oh well. It was way expensive anyway, and this $80 picks up enough interesting stuff. Heard a domestic issue dispatch get assigned earlier, and then something about a carjacking.
I looked up your scanner, seems like a nice little unit. To listen to the trunked freqs. all you need is a cheap scanner that can recieve 800Mhz, you don't actually need trunking (although it certainly makes it easier to listen to).

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Paratus posted:

Glad to have assisted in erecting a goon.

The shortwave is weird, haven't really gotten to fiddle with it much, but I picked up a numbers station (really faint, and I can't find it again) reading off NATO alphabet stuff. Freaked out some coworkers.

Numbers stations are weird.

Phoenix, as in AZ? If so, I might just smell some sort of radio related goon meet in the works. Any other arizonagoons in this thread?

Paratus
Jul 1, 2004

AstroZamboni posted:

Phoenix, as in AZ? If so, I might just smell some sort of radio related goon meet in the works. Any other arizonagoons in this thread?

Yeah, AZ. That'd be loads of fun, I'm always up for meeting new people. Possibly turn it into a low-gear party? Lots of stuff, yesterday hear about some woman fighting off a guy with a knife on the side of the freeway, then I see on the news a similar story. Fun stuff, knowing news while it's happening.

nmfree posted:

I looked up your scanner, seems like a nice little unit. To listen to the trunked freqs. all you need is a cheap scanner that can recieve 800Mhz, you don't actually need trunking (although it certainly makes it easier to listen to).

Well, this thing only tracks up to like 512MHz, but most of the Maricopa county EMS and other really interesting stuff xmits above 800MHz, which the BC246T does. Though it also seems I'd need a model that can handle APCO-25 stuff... which runs about $400 for a Uniden handheld model with that ability.

If anyone has any alternate suggestions, they'd be quite welcome. I dont' know if this can be modded or hacked or something for more freqs or something.

I also understand that in Mexico there's no rules about listening to cell conversations, so long as you don't divulge what you hear to anyone. I know that it's not legal to do here in the US, but I seem to recall years ago picking up someone's phone conversation on a friend's scanner... anyone know what year that might've been?

Anybody know of any IRC channels for scanners or shortwave radios?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

As for "hacking" a scanner to pick up a wider range of frequencies, that would require basically replacing all the guts. Cheaper to get a new scanner. The antenna, tuning capacitors, etc. are all designed to pick up a specific range.

As for cell conversations, a lot of scanners out there are technically capable of picking up cell conversations, but are only sold to the public in a "locked" version with some sort of apparatus/interface block to prevent you from listening to "restricted" frequencies of cell phone conversations. This was not always the case, as this was a legal gray area when cell phones AND scanners were still something of a novelty.

:siren:START LEGAL DISCLAIMER:siren:

I do not advocate the illegal modification of amateur VHF/UHF reception equipment for illicit espionage activities. The information provided below is strictly for the purposes of complete understanding of general information and the views reflected in websites I may refer to do not reflect the views of AstroZamboni, Something Awful Services LLC, the state of Arizona, or Major League Baseball. I hereby eschew all responsibility for anything anybody may or may not do with the information I am about to provide.

Anybody still reading after that?

:siren:END START LEGAL DISCLAIMER:siren:

Okay, here's the skinny on Cell frequency blocked scanners: a lot of them CAN be hacked and "unblocked" because the hardware is initially manufactured for law enforcement/government use with the blocking for civilian use added in as something of an afterthought.

I do not have a ready link to websites advising how to do this (I've never done it myself, as I don't even have a scanner) but running a search on Google can help you find out which scanners can be easily and successfully unblocked with directions on how to do so. In some cases its even a pretty drat simple operation from what I've been told.

A lot of "unblockable" scanners and wideband receivers are available from Universal Radio (link can be found in the OP). Universal radio also sells unblocked scanners, but they are only available for import outside the US and to government and law enforcement officials (and it doesn't count if you have a part-time job at the DMV).

Not that I'm suggesting any of you should do this, or even implying that you goons are the type of lawless citizens who would be even tempted to do something like this. Not at all, I swear!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I've got an old scanner that was made prior to any legislation regarding locking out cell frequencies. I never use it for anything other then listening to the police.

Paratus
Jul 1, 2004

AstroZamboni posted:

words about scanners and cell phones

I did not know that.

I'm also wondering if there's anything interesting (not cell conversations, but like transmissions in general, like police or something) that would be going on in the freqs that the scanner doesn't cover.

Seems I'm derailing the thread a bit, but on the other hand, it was kind of slow anyway, and this is radio-related... :)

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Paratus posted:

I did not know that.

I'm also wondering if there's anything interesting (not cell conversations, but like transmissions in general, like police or something) that would be going on in the freqs that the scanner doesn't cover.
Yes, there is; as analog service gets cut back, the spectrum has been either sold or reallocated for public safety.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Paratus posted:

I did not know that.

Seems I'm derailing the thread a bit, but on the other hand, it was kind of slow anyway, and this is radio-related... :)

A lot of stuff is going to be there in the future, but for right now it really depends on where you're at. Where I live, there's NOTHING on 800 and 900 MHz. Everybody still uses vhf and uhf. I heard some construction workers on 800 and one side of a phone conversation in spanish on 900mhz once, and that's it. But if I drive down towards Seattle there's tons of stuff there, including police and fire/medical.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Paratus posted:

I don't mind, as I think all utility broadcast radio is utterly cool and is related to the topic, so discuss away!

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su
If you want an unblocked scanner, you can get it from these guys. It's very rare that customs rejects the package:

http://javiation.co.uk/

That being said, I can't imagine there's too much analog cell traffic these days anyway.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

grellgraxer posted:

If you want an unblocked scanner, you can get it from these guys. It's very rare that customs rejects the package:

http://javiation.co.uk/

That being said, I can't imagine there's too much analog cell traffic these days anyway.

Small towns are more likely to have analog cell traffic.

Paratus
Jul 1, 2004
On a note more related to the topic, I caught some "fire and brimstone" crazy preacher people on my Eton E5 last night. Even the fiance was amused.

I also picked up some HAM radio babble on the scanner, which was interesting.

The question about what I'm missing in the freqs my scanner doesn't cover was more about the ranges between what it does cover. The scanner does 25-54,108-174 and 406-512, so what's in 54-108 and 174-406?

I think what annoys me most about this whole scanner thing is that most of the emergency services in Maricopa and most of the rest of AZ are using not only 800MHz+ freqs, but digital/APCO-25 stuff, which, from what I can find, means I'd be spending at least $400 to be able to hear them, assuming it's even possible to pick them up and they're not encrypting them or something.

I'm really tempted to go down to the Phoenix or Tempe police stations and see if I can talk to someone who knows radio, but I'd probably be better off finding someone who's into scanners.

On the other hand, I can hear the ASU police with no trouble even when I'm inside my apartment, as well as the transmissions from air traffic control from somewhere around Tempe/Phoenix. Loads of chatter about "maintain" this or "roger" that on the ATC channel.

I also went for a walk last night around midnight and picked up what I can only assume to be Southwest Ambulance's ops channel. Something about a patient being cooperative and agreeing to go to the hospital.

Anyway, overall I'm very happy with both the scanner and the sw radio. Apparently there's some guys who put battery- and solar-powered transmitters out in the desert, I picked up a bunch of weird-rear end noises on certain freqs, and doing some quick Google searching for "arizona" and the frequency returned the info about the "desert transmitters".

Wow, long post. I should really find an IRC channel for this stuff.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Paratus posted:

The question about what I'm missing in the freqs my scanner doesn't cover was more about the ranges between what it does cover. The scanner does 25-54,108-174 and 406-512, so what's in 54-108 and 174-406?
54-~88 -> TV channels 2-6
174-406 -> Tons of poo poo, here's a spectrum chart for you.

Paratus posted:

I'm really tempted to go down to the Phoenix or Tempe police stations and see if I can talk to someone who knows radio, but I'd probably be better off finding someone who's into scanners.
Yeah, cops don't appreciate people listening to them on scanners, so they'll be pretty much the last people to give you any information. :google: and local enthusiasts will be able to give you more detail.

Paratus posted:

Anyway, overall I'm very happy with both the scanner and the sw radio. Apparently there's some guys who put battery- and solar-powered transmitters out in the desert, I picked up a bunch of weird-rear end noises on certain freqs, and doing some quick Google searching for "arizona" and the frequency returned the info about the "desert transmitters".
Hams call it "foxhunting"; if you ever watched Dave Attell's show Insomniac he actually tagged along with some guys (in Phoenix, I believe)- they ended up "finding" the "fox" in a stripper's cooch at a titty bar. :v:

Wizard Owl
Jan 2, 2007
Hey, I don't post much, but add the cost of 1 Passport to World Band Radio to the total cost attributed to this thread. I bought a Grundig G5 a while back along with a Uniden Bearcat Trunktracker III (which I LOVE). I've only been using the G5 as an FM radio, but this thread has inspired me to get back into the SW side of things. I think I'm going to try to build the magnetic loop that was linked earlier in the thread; right now I'm just using the whip that came with it. But I did pick up lot of morse code broadcasts tonight around 3500 khz, along with some (I assume) ham broadcasts on SSB around 3900 khz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su
You fuckers. How dare you rekindle my interest in radio.

Bought a Sangean HDT-1X $229.99 from New Egg

http://www.sangean.com/product.php?model=HDT-1X

I have a Radio Shack DX-398 that I do all of my commercial AM radio listening on (Coast to Coast), now I can use this baby for that purpose as well as checking out HD radio. Heard good things about the sensitivity. The digital optical out will be sweet as well.

• Locked thread