Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American

Psion posted:

Because everyone's busy reading the comic that really did just update now.

Just how gullible do you think these people are?

If I hadn't already been :f5:ing on my own regard I'd be feeling pretty stupid right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

The Werle posted:

Hahahhahahaha! Why doesn't this happen more?

Because if it did happen more it'd be terribly unfunny.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Psion posted:

Because everyone's busy reading the comic that really did just update now.
Goddamn it that was my line :mad:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

The Werle posted:

Just how gullible do you think these people are?

Well given the posts after the first "It just updated!" post, I'm going to guess "pretty gullible."

Personally, I cannot believe Roy finally reconciled with his father in order to give Haley a chance at reviving him

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
He's not lying.

EDIT: About the comic being up, anyway.

Vicissitude fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 2, 2007

Sock
Oct 8, 2001
Do me. Do me.
God drat Roy's dad is a dick.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I think the ending is a fakeout. Durkon is marrying Kimiko and Daisuke.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Halloween Jack posted:

Exactly what I thought

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Arctic Baldwin posted:

Exactly what I thought

Yeah, I don't really think they'd just gloss over Haley and Belkar escaping Azure City with Roy's body and joining back up with the Order of the Stick so readily.

But Burlew does like to gently caress with people, so who knows?

And seriously, could Roy's dad be more of a dick? I have a feeling he won't be allowed to enter the Mountain on pure unbearableness alone, oath or no. How can someone Lawful Good be such an irredeemable gently caress? (Nobody mention Miko, so not going down that road again)

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 2, 2007

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Roy's dad is so loving metal

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
Eugene is a piece of work, no doubt about it. Making that agreement after we've found out about Roy's brother and everything makes him a double-douche.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
Oh hey, I think the junk was decorated for the wedding, how nice :)

sansuki
May 17, 2003

Manyorcas posted:

Oh hey, I think the junk was decorated for the wedding, how nice :)

Yeah, Hinjo has his junk adorned with wedding tackle.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

sansuki posted:

Yeah, Hinjo has his junk adorned with wedding tackle.

Make sure you get a good, long look at Hinjo's junk.

Theodorus
Sep 3, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

Considering that this would be the logical conclusion, I'm betting on a fakeout on this fakeout.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

ZorbaTHut posted:

Make sure you get a good, long look at Hinjo's junk.

Why, his junk is the biggest I've ever seen!

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
I liked it when I was reading through the archives and I didn't have to wait longer than it took my computer to load the next comic to find out about cliffhangers.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Olanphonia posted:

I liked it when I was reading through the archives and I didn't have to wait longer than it took my computer to load the next comic to find out about cliffhangers.

That's easy! Take a year long break from Oots and come back and it will all be done!

Also I was hoping for something more then sparring between Roy and Eugene, but atleast we got that out of the way :)

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

When I first started reading OotS, there were 10 strips. When I came back, there were 350. That was nice. Now all I need is a time machine.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Theodorus posted:

Considering that this would be the logical conclusion, I'm betting on a fakeout on this fakeout.

Seconded. I originally thought it'd be something out of left field like Hinjo and Lien, then I figured it was probably Kimiko and Daigo (PS: it's Daigo), and now I'm figuring it's probably something I wouldn't have thought of.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't know why burlew insists on making some of his characters so one-dimensionally hateable. I don't even know what Eugene's motivations are except being as big a dick as possible.

Eckertmania
May 11, 2007

"'Hey, a computer took your place, daddy.' That's hard times! That's hard times!"

Lurdiak posted:

I don't know why burlew insists on making some of his characters so one-dimensionally hateable. I don't even know what Eugene's motivations are except being as big a dick as possible.

I don't know, man. I know some people that it seems that their motivation in life is to be as big an rear end in a top hat as possible.

Sock
Oct 8, 2001
Do me. Do me.

Theodorus posted:

It'll be a triple fakeout and Durkon will be marrying nothing due to ocean madness.

Assuming Haley and Belkar are still in the city can Roy see them, through the magic cloister thing?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Lurdiak posted:

With the notable exception of Roy, most of the characters in OotS are stereotypically one-dimensional, and only a few have been given more depth over the course of time. Elan is still as simpleminded as he was in the beginning, Belkar is a halfling-shaped agent of destruction, and V is still Snooty Elf #214.

As for Eugene, he's unique in that the only additional depth he's been given is in Start of Darkness. While Sara and Roy attribute Eugene giving up on the Blood Oath to Eugene's personal failings, Start of Darkness makes it clear that he gave up on it because he was afraid of what would happen to Roy and Sara if he failed... although an argument could also be made that that was just the excuse he used at the time.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Lurdiak posted:

Interestingly enough, the two characters most find completely unlikeable (Miko, Eugene) are supposedly both Lawful Good.

If you really hate someone else, who, and why?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Sock posted:

It'll be a triple fakeout and Durkon will be marrying nothing due to ocean madness.

Assuming Haley and Belkar are still in the city can Roy see them, through the magic cloister thing?

Nobody knows, man! You're asking questions that can't be answered!! AAAAAARRRRGGGHHHH

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

Lurdiak posted:

A couple of reasons:

a) It's a D & D meta joke: While D & D Player characters run the gambit from 12 pages of backstory to Belkar, NPC generally have even less depth. Whenever I've run a game, I can't usually be bothered to name every person you're supposed to come across at some point, (unless you actually want to talk to them), let alone the characters you've made for your background.

So, if I ask you what your character's dad is like, and you answer: Unlikable, selfish and arrogant, then I'm going to NPC him that way. Probably to the extreme!!!!1one

b) It's possible that Burlew writes him that way, because he doesn't want people to like Eugene, even remotely. People can generally rally behind a character who is an rear end, if they're a funny rear end. If Eugene is one-dimensional, it's probably because we're supposed to be seeing how differently Roy turned out, but more importantly, how funny Eugene's eventual comeuppance will be.

c) Tertiary characters in a webcomic sometimes don't get developed all that well. Even in the good ones. I have no doubt that Rich Burlew plans this stuff out meticulously, in fact, I'd wager serious cash on the fact that Eugene might have been an afterthought until the things that post on his board hit the nail on the head a few too many times, in guessing what was coming, meaning that the comic had to be taken in a different direction here and again to keep it fresh.

The dude seems to have a problem with people guessing the endings, middles, and beginnings of his plot ideas, and seeing as runs the comic like an on-going game, it's not surprising that the plot sometimes takes a turn for left field. And, speaking from personal experience, when that happens, sometimes Jimmy, the simple minded peasant boy, becomes an NPC Dragon-slayer 12/Running Joke 4, and sometimes characters who weren't meant to see much interaction, like Roy's dad are thrust into the spotlight, even though there's nothing much to either character, at times.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

NutShellBill posted:

A couple of reasons:

On top of that, Eugene is boned because of his own nature. Sure, he swore the blood oath and that's why he's not getting in to Celestia, but it's his own drat fault for not continuing the fight. He had a lot of chances and, like Roy's mom said, he kept losing interest and moving on to something new. He's sitting at the foot of the mountain unable to climb. It's his own fault and he knows it, so he just acts the part of the crank and points out other peoples' shortcomings to distract him from his own.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

New comic up :woop:

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
I wonder what happen to Elan's eye.. Or if he just thinks it looks awesome or something.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY
When did Elan get an eyepatch?

Edit: Beaten, but I feel slightly less clueless now

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Red_Mage posted:

When did Elan get an eyepatch?

Obviously between flashback scene 2 and flashback scene 3. :shobon:

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Exposition, multiple punchlines/segues, callbacks to previous jokes that are done well, things left unexplained that make me feel like reading the next ones just to figure out what happened, a strip that stands well by itself as well as on a page-by-page basis in a trade...

Man, OOTS is a really well-written webcomic.

Eckertmania
May 11, 2007

"'Hey, a computer took your place, daddy.' That's hard times! That's hard times!"
I'm guessing he tripped and fell into his rapier. Or he accidentally poked himself in the eye with one of his fingers.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
I'm assuming he just likes it, cause surely Durkon could just Regeneration it right back..

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I bet his eye isn't even gone, he just thinks people living on the high seas need pirate eye patches.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Since he's got tears coming from the eye-patch, I'm in the Elan thinks eye-patches are stylish boat.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gyges posted:

Since he's got tears coming from the eye-patch, I'm in the Elan thinks eye-patches are stylish junk.
:haw:

GentlemanLoser
Aug 22, 2007

IT WAS NANOMACHINES, I SWEAR, NANOMACHINES!
stupid plot theories go here -------->
You don't cry directly from your eyes, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rose wood
Apr 4, 2006

You're a superstar!
Didn't he take prestige clash swashbuckler? Maybe he levelled up?