Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

vanjalolz posted:

Link is 404.

Teaches me to trust pastebins.

http://londeroth.org/~ben/bencode.rb renouncing all liabilities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dookie
Aug 28, 2003

I have a pretty simple request. I need a program that will intentionally lag my computer. Preferably with adjustable lag so I can control just how much to lag my computer. This is for slowing down flash games.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
I'd like a program that will display lines of green computery text being typed (like in futuristing video game breifings) over a small portion of my desktop.

I would like to be able to specify and change somehow what this text will say (and also have the option of red or blue computery text), much like changing the marquee screen saver text, only much longer.

The text will type itself out until that portion of my desktop is full, wait a few moments, disappear, and begin typing again where it left off, or repeat the message if it reached the end.

Although I would also like to be able to change the size of the area this displays in, I'm sure that would further complicate things, so I ask specifically for a 400 pixel width by 500 pixel length if I have to choose one size. The area needs to be transparent so that I can see my wallpaper as if the words were just typing out directly on the desktop.

I just realized this may be a little much for this thread; if you can't handle it here, just let me know. I've really really wanted this for quite some time.

hillaryous clinton
May 11, 2003

super dynamic
Taco Defender
I made a small app a while ago that reboots the computer and automatically logs you back into whichever account you happen to be using, for 1 time only.

I made it because when I reboot (after a driver update or whatever) I want to leave the room (coffee, bathroom break, etc...) and come back to my desktop, not the logon screen. I have so many programs that launch at startup that the logging-in part is really long, and I hate coming back to my PC only to realize I now need to wait another 2+ minutes for my hard disk to settle down.

Here's how it works:

- console pops up, requests password
- once password is entered by the user, it is stored in the registry and the registry keys for auto admin logon are set. Reboot process is automatically started.
- After the reboot the program automatically removes the password from the registry and disables admin logon.

If anyone is interested I'd be happy to submit it.

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

pwnyXpress posted:

I'd like a program that will display lines of green computery text being typed (like in futuristing video game breifings) over a small portion of my desktop.

I would like to be able to specify and change somehow what this text will say (and also have the option of red or blue computery text), much like changing the marquee screen saver text, only much longer.

The text will type itself out until that portion of my desktop is full, wait a few moments, disappear, and begin typing again where it left off, or repeat the message if it reached the end.

Although I would also like to be able to change the size of the area this displays in, I'm sure that would further complicate things, so I ask specifically for a 400 pixel width by 500 pixel length if I have to choose one size. The area needs to be transparent so that I can see my wallpaper as if the words were just typing out directly on the desktop.

I just realized this may be a little much for this thread; if you can't handle it here, just let me know. I've really really wanted this for quite some time.
http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/MissionText

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Thanks, you're a genius, this is perfect.

One problem, though. How do I change what the text is saying? Not that your epic poem is bad or anything.

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

pwnyXpress posted:

Thanks, you're a genius, this is perfect.

One problem, though. How do I change what the text is saying? Not that your epic poem is bad or anything.

Stick a text file into the same directory as the .exe. It'll just rotate through any .txt files it finds, or if it doesn't find any it'll show The Jabberwocky.

e: Also, any settings you change are stored in the .config file and used the next time you run the program. If you delete the config file, it will crash. I should probably fix that.

Neurozys fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 9, 2007

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

I was annoyed by the illegibility of the text most of the time, so I added an optional semi-transparent window beneath the text to give better contrast. That was a lot harder than you might imagine. First I had to figure out how to make sure it didn't steal your frenzied mouse clicks. Then I found out you can't have non-opaque controls on an opaque form, so I had to work around that (it's really 2 forms! :ssh: ).

Background Color and Opacity are the options to use that feature.

Neurozys fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 10, 2007

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

Neurozys posted:

I was annoyed by the illegibility of the text most of the time, so I added an optional semi-transparent window beneath the text to give better contrast.
haha, that's pretty neat! :)

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

I updated to the last release of Mediawiki. It caused all kinds of headaches, so let me know if you find anything that's not working.

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

Neurozys posted:

I updated to the last release of Mediawiki. It caused all kinds of headaches, so let me know if you find anything that's not working.

Oops, turns out I broke some links. I think I've got the .htaccess sorted now. Again, let me know if anything stops working.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
The filelistgen tool has been working great. Came across an issue today though. I called it with 2 lists, but it came out with 3.

The files in totalled: 4165

The 3rd list only had 1 file in it. I can assume this was due to the odd number. Can an adjustment be made to just add the last file into the last list in the event of an odd number of files?

Thanks, besides that the program has been a real time saver!

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

Halo_4am posted:

The filelistgen tool has been working great. Came across an issue today though. I called it with 2 lists, but it came out with 3.

The files in totalled: 4165

The 3rd list only had 1 file in it. I can assume this was due to the odd number. Can an adjustment be made to just add the last file into the last list in the event of an odd number of files?

Thanks, besides that the program has been a real time saver!

Were you using my version or Grey Area's?
Probably mine - there was a rounding error (well, more of a lack of rounding error.) I uploaded a new version. http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/FileListGen

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Neurozys posted:

Were you using my version or Grey Area's?
Probably mine - there was a rounding error (well, more of a lack of rounding error.) I uploaded a new version. http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/FileListGen

I was using yours. Thanks for the update, I'll give it a try.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is there any free app out there lets me identify exactly where I'm downloading a file from? I mean, the entire URL for where the file is hosted.

The problem is that I'm trying to download a program I bought, but seller forces me to use a horrible download manager that keeps corrupting my download. I know for a fact that I could just connect directly to the server and download the file using a regular download manager if I just knew the URL but I can't for the life figure out how to find it out.

This isn't :filez:, I already paid for the file, and the seller's support is being thoroughly uncooperative.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

lax regulations posted:

Is there any free app out there lets me identify exactly where I'm downloading a file from? I mean, the entire URL for where the file is hosted.
Try URL Snooper. It's meant for locating the URLs of media files but presumably it could be used for anything.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Dicky B posted:

Try URL Snooper. It's meant for locating the URLs of media files but presumably it could be used for anything.

this was exactly what I was looking for, thank you.

Void of Infinite Nothing
Mar 26, 2001
Does anyone know something that works like an FTP client only with local files?
i.e. I want to drag and drop files into a queue then hit a button and have them all copy over at once to the folder of my choosing.

mantaworks
May 6, 2005

by Fragmaster

Void of Infinite Nothing posted:

Does anyone know something that works like an FTP client only with local files?
i.e. I want to drag and drop files into a queue then hit a button and have them all copy over at once to the folder of my choosing.

Something like supercopier(click the supercopier 2 beta link) will do that.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I've been trying to extract levels from a games datafile. They are basically the same format as the user levels, but all jammed into a single file.

Can a program be created where:
- You specify the beginning of where the block of data begins, and where it ends in hex.
- It saves the block of data to a new file (001.lev for example)
- It searches for the next block of data and saves it to 002.lev or whatever

Might as well make it as general as possible since it could be useful for other things, such as bitmap extraction and sound extraction.

At the moment I'm doing it this way
- Open the file in a hex editor
- Search for a hex that signifies the beginning of the block of data to extract (04 0A 71 F1 for example)
- Saving its location in the file
- Search for a hex that signifies the end of the block of data to extract
- Copy the block of data
- Open a new hex editor window and paste the data
- Save the data as a new file (001.lev)

It would be nice to have it done automatically.

orange crayon
Feb 22, 2007

Stupid
When I got a new computer, I used a program to rip all of the music off of my iPod on to the new computer, to a directory called C:\music\. It was supposed to save them in this format c:\music\artist\album\

For some reason, however, it layered the \artist\album\ twice, so the actual folders look like c:\music\artist\album\artist\album\.

I was wondering if anyone could develop a little program that would delete these two extra layers? So it would basically switch all of the folders to the way that they are supposed to be. The program would have to be able to merge folders as well, since I have multiple albums by the same artists.

I'm not sure how hard this would be, but thank you ahead of time in case one of you brave souls decides to adopt the challenge.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
I need a program that will do the following :

Startup with windows
Send an "enable" command to a com port (9600,8,N,1,N)
Then loops indefinatly sending "ping" command every X secs (user needs the ablity to edit it).
Has a button on the application or command console to send a "disable" command.
Has a button / console command to send an "rstXX" command (where XX = numbers)
Has a button / console command to send an "rstpng" command (where XX = numbers)
Has a button / console command to send an "configg" command
Has the ablity to read the output from the device, as every command sent will prompt a 1 line response from the unit (approx 40 characters).

I'm willing to pay for this app. I imagine it would be done in VB

Wiki Request Here

midge fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Nov 20, 2007

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

midge posted:

serial app

I'm coincidentally doing some contract work with serial ports on Linux at the moment, I can certainly help you out with this if you'd like (Windows serial ports are pretty simple)

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Charles Ford posted:

I'm coincidentally doing some contract work with serial ports on Linux at the moment, I can certainly help you out with this if you'd like (Windows serial ports are pretty simple)

I've sent you a PM. I'm willing to pay a little for this app because I need it pretty fast. I'll do a mock up of the GUI I'd like (assuming you'd use VB). Either way it will give you a better clue of the functionality I'm looking for.

Justin Hayabusa
Jan 24, 2005

I was a very angry child.
You know what I would kill for? A program to rename files I grab off WaffleImages' random image page. Every image saved off that page defaults to "r", I would like an extension that appends a number to the tail of the filename. Say, "r1" and every file saved after it increases that number by a single increment.

hk0
Sep 24, 2005

HO HO HO!!!
A program that would be awesome:
Command line utility that can create an NT named pipe and hook up either the read or write side to stdout/stdin respectively.

Background:
There are plenty of stupid Windows console programs that want to do stuff to and from files (but don't have options to read from stdio) and take up a lot of precious disk space when you try to automate them. This goes double for GUI programs that can't be piped. :argh: This irks guys (like me) who are comfortable scripting/managing unix to no end.

Why the absence of a tool to play with named pipes from the various Windows Server flavors, Resource Kits, and SDKs? :iiam:

Usage Scenario:
code:
# Imagine this is a cygwin shell with job control
[b]shscpipe.exe[/b] -read PIPENAME | 7z.exe a compressed.7z -si &
gayprogram.exe '/ as sysdba' full=y file='\\.\pipe\PIPENAME'
And gayprogram.exe is none the wiser that it was talking to shscpipe/7-zip and not a real file.
:D

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
^ Why couldn't you let the program save it as a file, use "cat" to send the file to output to a pipe, then delete the file when you're done?

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

hk0 posted:

Command line utility that can create an NT named pipe and hook up either the read or write side to stdout/stdin respectively.

I gave it a shot. http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/SHSCPipe
It's not really tested. Actually, I did precisely one test case.

In one cmd window
code:
type test.txt | shscpipe -read shsc
and then in a different cmd window
code:
type \\.\pipe\shsc
Using & won't work because the shscpipe command won't return until the pipe has been opened and read from/written to. If it did return the pipe would be closed and then there's nothing to read. I suppose it could launch a separate process to maintain the pipe instead, but the 2 hours of research this one page of code took is enough for me.
http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/SHSCPipe/shscpipe.cpp

Neurozys fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 28, 2007

aslewofmice
Dec 22, 2003
I have a real quick and easy web app that would help me out tremendously:

I need something web based that will display a random questions image, wait until I click a button, then refresh with the answers image; then allow me to repeat again with another random image. Q and A image files are the same name just in different folders.

ie:
/questions/001.jpg
/answers/001.jpg
/files.txt

easy beans? Thanks in advance.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer
I have small refactor request based on an app I got from a previous incarnation of this thread (thanks Mantaworks!) My Flash-based Video Game Name Generator seems to be doing well still but it could use a couple of tweaks I've noticed after using it for a while.

1. I need a way to avoid repeating words that isn't the overly broad solution the VGNG currently uses. It picks a random word from three alphabetized columns, separated by four dashes. Right now it just has an asterisk in front of words that should never be used with each other, like so:

*Death-Defying
Mountaineering
----
Apple
*Death
*of Death
----
*of Death
Zygote

Lots of words are starred these days, though, so it tends to cut out a lot of possible good combinations. The new, much more specific format would look like this:

Death-Defying EXCLUDE !2Death! !2of Death! !3of Death!
Mountaineering
----
Apple
Death EXCLUDE !3of Death!
of Death EXCLUDE !3of Death!
----
of Death
Zygote

2. Red on black looks nice enough to me but eventually hurts my eyes. I was hoping someone could redo the text color to be green on black or something like that, whatever is easy on the eyes.

The original source code is here: http://www.norefuge.net/vgng/vgng.fla
And the current wordlist (not edited for the new format, which I am working on) is here: http://www.norefuge.net/vgng/video_game_names.txt

Hope someone reads this and can help me out.

EDIT: Wow, someone already did this in my word suggestion thread. Consider this request filled.

Fistful of Silence fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 29, 2007

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Id like an application that will simply scan 2 folders over a network (on 2 different computers) and tell me which folder has the most files, and what files one folder has that the other doesn't and then (maybe) allow me to copy the missing files over to the other folder (a very basic sync tool).

Its for my ever-changing music collection, I want to keep my desktop and laptop in sync!

If anyone could help me out with this id be much appreciated :)

hk0
Sep 24, 2005

HO HO HO!!!

edit: Christ, that was fast. I'm really impressed.

I'm having trouble getting this to work -- I installed the VS2005 runtime redistributable but it's still giving me side-by-side configuration errors. Is there any way you can build it into a simple Win32 exe (not .NET/Managed C++)?

Thanks!

hk0 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 28, 2007

hk0
Sep 24, 2005

HO HO HO!!!

Gibbon_WBA posted:

Id like an application that will simply scan 2 folders over a network (on 2 different computers) and tell me which folder has the most files, and what files one folder has that the other doesn't and then (maybe) allow me to copy the missing files over to the other folder (a very basic sync tool).

Its for my ever-changing music collection, I want to keep my desktop and laptop in sync!

If anyone could help me out with this id be much appreciated :)

Rsync is always the answer to this question. For Windows, there's a GUI-oriented rsync called DeltaCopy. Give it a spin!

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

hk0 posted:

edit: Christ, that was fast. I'm really impressed.

I'm having trouble getting this to work -- I installed the VS2005 runtime redistributable but it's still giving me side-by-side configuration errors. Is there any way you can build it into a simple Win32 exe (not .NET/Managed C++)?

Thanks!

Sorry about that, I built it with the VS2008 b2, who knows what runtime it uses. I'm going to spend some time getting it to maintain the pipe in a background thread tonight, hopefully I'll be able to resolve any build issues after that.

e: Just checked with dependency walker - it's using MSCVR90.dll, which no one is likely to have. Easy enough to remove the dependency, just need to build with the /MT flag instead of /MD. Bumps to file size from 8K to 61K.

Neurozys fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 29, 2007

hk0
Sep 24, 2005

HO HO HO!!!

Neurozys posted:

Sorry about that, I built it with the VS2008 b2, who knows what runtime it uses. I'm going to spend some time getting it to maintain the pipe in a background thread tonight, hopefully I'll be able to resolve any build issues after that.

Bonus points on that. Not strictly necessary since there's a few ways you can get around that (either by using bat/cmd scripts and "start" or cygwin with that ampersand).

But if you're going to do that, you're going to need to accept the program to run and it's argument as a string argument and parse that argument list yourself. Reason is if you want to go into the background, then you have to spawn a thread/process and connect up the file descriptors and exec() that program since you can't rely on CMD.EXE to do it. (If your app is going into the background, then it has to "return", which means CMD isn't going to keep that pipe to the next command open -- it doesn't have job control like bash).

In that case, you should add two more modes in addition to read and write. One that checks the status of a pipe (exists + waiting, exists + active, does not exist), and one that terminates the "pipe service".

quote:

e: Just checked with dependency walker - it's using MSCVR90.dll, which no one is likely to have. Easy enough to remove the dependency, just need to build with the /MT flag instead of /MD. Bumps to file size from 8K to 61K.
editNO WORKIE WITH .NET 3.5
Please do link it all in anyway, anything less than a few hundred K is noise. :D

hk0 fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 29, 2007

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

hk0 posted:

problems I hadn't thought about
Point taken, I'll leave it as is. I uploaded a build without the VC runtime dependency. Same location as before. Still not sure if it will behave as you're expecting. Frankly I don't use the command line much, so do any real testing here is a bit beyond me. The code, at least, is pretty straight forward and should be largely compiler agnostic.

hk0
Sep 24, 2005

HO HO HO!!!

Neurozys posted:

Point taken, I'll leave it as is. I uploaded a build without the VC runtime dependency. Same location as before. Still not sure if it will behave as you're expecting. Frankly I don't use the command line much, so do any real testing here is a bit beyond me. The code, at least, is pretty straight forward and should be largely compiler agnostic.

Works like a charm. :hfive:

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I see there's already a program similar to what I need on tinyappz, http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Ping_Thing

That lets you put in a URL, it pings it every 5 seconds, and any time it fails it's logged. I'm looking for a program that's a little more sophisticated; I'd like to be able to do multiple IPs (rather than have 6 new icons in my tray) and have it beep or pop up a notification if pings fail for more than a minute. Is this doable, or does this already exist?

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2698706
http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/ThumbEditor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackfruit
Apr 27, 2006

dem bones dem bones gonna walk around

dookie posted:

I have a pretty simple request. I need a program that will intentionally lag my computer. Preferably with adjustable lag so I can control just how much to lag my computer. This is for slowing down flash games.

Mo'Slo should be fine, and I can vouch personally for Turbo (found here) having used it on a few different computers. Not sure if these will slow down flash apps, but they'll take up however much CPU speed you want.

• Locked thread