Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

mik posted:

Since this is sort of a guitar-buying thread, I'll throw this in here: Where are some good shops for guitars in London (preferably in Zone 1) - I have no idea how to weed out the lists of stores I find online, and there seems to be a distinct lack of websites associated with them. I'm not looking for anything over the top, I just need an acoustic to last me about 12 months while I'm in the UK - new or used.

I don't know anything about zones, but as a tourist one of the first places I went in London was Denmark Street to see the guitar shops. You should check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WET BUTT
Mar 11, 2005
Some stuff!

Old 60s Farfisa organ and so I can play some Krautrock/Sun Ra/stuff that doesn't sound like 96 Tears tones:

Moog Low Pass Filter and..

Ring Modulator!

I'm kind of stoked to hear how the Moogerfoogers sound on other instruments. Particular my guitar playing and my cheap rear end keyboard.

WET BUTT fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 5, 2007

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Susano-maku da! posted:

That I didn't know. I was planning on buying a warmoth jag neck to replace the neck on my MIK Squire Strat or get a telecaster body and go short scale.
You can do it, but like I said, you'll need to move the bridge forward to compensate; it's not a straight drop-in replacement. If you're putting a Jag neck on a Tele/Strat, you'd have to measure 24" from the nut and reposition the bridge so the two center saddles line up right at the 24" mark. Also note that the Jag's neck heel is slightly smaller than the Strat/Tele neck pocket - try to center it as much as possible before tightening the screws.

An easier option would be the Warmoth conversion neck I linked to before - it's 24 3/4" scale, but you don't have to make with the drilling and the measuring and the hey hey hey.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

New:
-Peavey Valveking 100 Head
-Avatar G212H Special cab (dual vintage 30s baby)
-Pickups in the RG: Seymour Duncan SH-2n Jazz and SH-4 JB - I have these wired up with a 5-way so I can use either of them split
-Pickups in the SG: GFS Vintage '59 and Seymour Duncan SH-11 Custom Custom
-Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive (not pictured, oops)
-The SG's pickguard's paint job :science:

Consider my pants poo poo.

Col.Kiwi fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 6, 2007

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?

Uncle Caveman posted:

You can do it, but like I said, you'll need to move the bridge forward to compensate; it's not a straight drop-in replacement. If you're putting a Jag neck on a Tele/Strat, you'd have to measure 24" from the nut and reposition the bridge so the two center saddles line up right at the 24" mark. Also note that the Jag's neck heel is slightly smaller than the Strat/Tele neck pocket - try to center it as much as possible before tightening the screws.

An easier option would be the Warmoth conversion neck I linked to before - it's 24 3/4" scale, but you don't have to make with the drilling and the measuring and the hey hey hey.

Gotcha, a Warmoth conversion neck was what I was thinking of. Didn't know about the bridge moving.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

Col.Kiwi posted:

New:
-Pickups in the RG: Seymour Duncan SH-2n Jazz and SH-4 JB - I have these wired up with a 5-way so I can use either of them split

How is the GFS?

Jonny
Dec 31, 2005

Ernie Ball Music Man JP6, with piezo. Exactly like the one pictured except mine has a "blade style" pickup in the bridge. It has everything I hav ever wanted and will ever need in a guitar. :love:

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Post in this thread then, and tell everyone how loving deadly it is.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Col.Kiwi posted:

New:

Is that Ibanez a 321MH? Have you customized it at all? I have one myself and it's a great hardtail.

Van Dis fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 2, 2019

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Engine Fortegue posted:

How is the GFS?
It's great, frankly it can hang with my SD pickups just fine. That guitar is tuned down to C and the pickup's great detailed lows really shine. I talked more about it in the pickups thread, as did others about their GFS pickups: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2664959&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2

Laws posted:

Is that Ibanez a 321MH? Have you customized it at all? I have one myself and it's a great hardtail.
Sure is an RG 321MH, I love it to pieces. When it comes to gear I'm a big fan of the "keep it simple, stupid" philosophy. I had no interest in a tremolo, but I loved the thin 24-fret neck you find on RGs so this model was perfect -- The gorgeous oil finish just sealed the deal for me. The only customization I've done is the pickups I just installed and the 5-way StewMac Megaswitch-E to get the coil splitting options I wanted.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Col.Kiwi posted:

Sure is an RG 321MH, I love it to pieces. When it comes to gear I'm a big fan of the "keep it simple, stupid" philosophy. I had no interest in a tremolo, but I loved the thin 24-fret neck you find on RGs so this model was perfect -- The gorgeous oil finish just sealed the deal for me. The only customization I've done is the pickups I just installed and the 5-way StewMac Megaswitch-E to get the coil splitting options I wanted.

Preachin' to the choir, brother. I was impressed with the construction and weight - it's got some solid body to it, which I like in my instruments. I put in a Duncan Distortion and a '59 in place of the stock pickups, and went from a 5 way to a 3 way switch with a push-pull volume/tone knob to complement the tone switch I replaced the tone knob with. Plays like a dream.

Machine Gun
Aug 22, 2006

what a fucking nightmare

Carbohydrates posted:

Clean. I'd be more than excited to have that guitar, forsure.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?
I've been wanting to reply to this thread for a looong while, but now that I finally have my SLR in hand, I'm going to take pictures.

Yesterday I bought my Shure SM57. Still need a mixer (which I'm getting tomorrow with the money some people owe me), though this mixer is probably the worst I can find.

In August I bought my Flextone III amp after heavy consideration. I wanted versatility and I guess I got just that. I'm quite happy with the tone I get, agreed that they're not the same amps, but I can get my own stuff done and I love it. The FBV express is right below me, which I got 3 weeks back.

Lastly, here's my "new" Floyd Rose (bought it like 4 months ago). Don't know what brand it is, but honestly I don't give a gently caress. I can bend all I want and it stays in tune. I can dive and pull and still come back ok. on the right you can see a swtich I adapted. It turns on the neck pickup, so I can use the neck/bridge pickups or the neck/middle/bridge pickups at the same time.

Edit: Jesus christ, talk about table braking

Steiler Drep fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 8, 2007

Schmuckrat
Sep 9, 2004
Hazy with attendant thoughts

- UC-33e control surface
- SM57
- Big Muff Pi
- Line 6 Verbzilla

Just got an order in from the US. I was only going to get the UC-33e, but they give free international priority Fedex for orders over $400. Too good to pass up considering that was $92 of postage for free :q: The store was JRRShop, so if anyone international is looking to order music gear from the US they get my full recommendation. Three day (free!) postage from the US to Australia is pretty loving impressive.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!

WET BUTT posted:

Some stuff!

Old 60s Farfisa organ and so I can play some Krautrock/Sun Ra/stuff that doesn't sound like 96 Tears tones:

Where did you find such a treasure? Last summer on there was an old farfisa in working condition on craigslist for a couple hundred and I kick myself all the time for not jumping on it.

help i am on fire
Nov 3, 2005

Do not eat the DJ!
I tried to put it off until I got a new job, but my babies were starting to sound a bit lifeless. to remedy that, I just got these in the mail...

to go on these...

I'm a sucker for colored strings. Mock me if you feel the need.
Also, I suck at pictures.

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000
I'm looking to get one of these

Ibanez JTK2 JetKing II

and playing it through one of these

Fender Blues Jr.

Alfa Tard
Sep 30, 2002

Stoopid Noobie

help i am on fire posted:

I'm a sucker for colored strings. Mock me if you feel the need.

i like it sometimes too

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

Alfa Tard posted:

i like it sometimes too

I use DR Reds exclusively for my electrics; something about the coating just makes them play perfect for me.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
I just put down some money on one of these today:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Huntsman
Dec 15, 2004

This one is for all my little friends, you know who you are...

ReverendHammer posted:

I got the bigger older brother (cousin?)

Just the Danelectro Wasabi's from that great deal from Musicians Friend.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?
My four new pedals:

Death By Audio Supersonic Fuzz Gun
Danelectro Reel Echo
Danelectro Wasabi Overdrive
Boss CS-3 Compressor/Sustainer

The DBA Fuzz Gun is one of the most versatile pedals I've heard. Move any of the dials a bit and you can get a completely different fuzz sound, crazier and more violent than the last one. The Oscillation setting is incredibly unstable, too, letting you go into ear splitting feedback.

The Reel Echo is also one of the best delays I've used. You can get very convincing tube delay tones and add in tape warble to it.

You can see the settings I use for using th Wasabi as a colored clean boost. Please god, make the Wasabi Rock-A-Bye go on sale.

I think the Boss CS-3 is nigh unusable. Turns your clean tone to utter crap. I'll screw around with it, but most likely I'll sell it... so far I've disliked all the Boss pedals I've tried, including the BD-2 Blues Driver, OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion and the DD-3 Digital Delay. I'm hoping the pitch shifters and the DF-2 Feedbacker won't dissapoint.

Looking into some options for reverb effects, as my AC-15's reverb is crap.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

WET BUTT
Mar 11, 2005

Tiny Faye posted:

Where did you find such a treasure? Last summer on there was an old farfisa in working condition on craigslist for a couple hundred and I kick myself all the time for not jumping on it.

Ebay, and I was lucky enough to be in the same city as the guy that was selling it, so I got it for 220 no shipping! And there's hardly anything wrong with it. And it's really great go get two

help i am on fire
Nov 3, 2005

Do not eat the DJ!

Alfa Tard posted:

i like it sometimes too

Engine Fortegue} posted:

I use DR Reds exclusively for my electrics; something about the coating just makes them play perfect for me.

At least I don't feel dumb anymore for getting strings that cost almost twice the cost of super slinkys. They keep that great clang for so much longer, especially on my P-bass.

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
I should be getting a Bass PodXT from ebay soon... The payment went through last month, whats taking so long?! :argh:

the mattness
Oct 11, 2005
Why does it hurt when I pee?

ReverendHammer posted:

Found one second hand for £180 / $360, snapped it up, then soon hit the downward curve of old casio/yamaha digital synths and it turns out this id being delivered to me very soon: -

Casio CZ-3000

Expect me asking what people would recommend for an audio/midi recording setup very soon...

Nil Admirari
Nov 23, 2000

Cakewalk Project5 v2.5. $99 download + free 2 1/2 hour training video.

I had been testing new hosts for quite a while; I have an EnergyXT license, but I haven't been pleased with its direction or stability.

I tested Renoise, Tracktion3, and Podium (all around $100) before choosing P5. I consider Project5 to be the best sequencer in that price range; it's unfortunate that the software doesn't get the praise it deserves.

Valtaherra
Feb 23, 2007

It's a personal pineapple
Just bought one of these on Ebay for around 70% of the list price, so I was pretty excited.

It's got all the software and recording capabilities I need, a poo poo ton of effects and amps, and I really just needed a kick in the rear end to get back into playing guitar. This couple with getting my guitar repaired is going to be awesome.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Valtaherra posted:

Just bought one of these on Ebay for around 70% of the list price, so I was pretty excited.

It's got all the software and recording capabilities I need, a poo poo ton of effects and amps, and I really just needed a kick in the rear end to get back into playing guitar. This couple with getting my guitar repaired is going to be awesome.

I need to go sell mine on eBay so I can buy the X3.

emilbus
May 30, 2001

Diduuh diduuh.
Hello. I bought this banana holder.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

RSPsych0 posted:

I need to go sell mine on eBay so I can buy the X3.

I just did this, although I haven't been home to play with it yet. Buy it from RivensBitch, he saved me over 10% off of the lowest retail price I found.

Skintag
Jan 12, 2005

I made my first guitar purchase yesterday. I have owned a Washburn Lyon LC2 for a few years, but never really got into it. Don't get me wrong, it was a perfectly acceptable starter guitar. However, I just got an Epiphone SG-310 as my first REAL starter guitar.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

mofolotopo posted:

I just did this, although I haven't been home to play with it yet. Buy it from RivensBitch, he saved me over 10% off of the lowest retail price I found.

As is my understanding Rivensbitch doesn't do this anymore

archie
Sep 16, 2003

Mr Lee! Why You No Wear Uniform?
yes yes ya'all

elektron machine drum MK II

64 step

gently caress yeah!

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Engine Fortegue posted:

As of when? I bought mine from him a couple of weeks ago.

archie
Sep 16, 2003

emilbus posted:

Hello. I bought this banana holder.

that doesn't appear to be the most ergonomic of banana holders. does that little joystick control how the banana's peeled? do you use the led's on the keyboard to create sequences to devour said fruit? was the banana complimentry or did you have to purchase it individually? if so how much was the shipping? don't mean to tyre kick...

Supervillin
Feb 6, 2005

Pillbug

Engine Fortegue posted:

Rivensbitch posted:

UPDATE 10-29-07 - My turnaround times are getting much better, probably because I'm unemployed now (go figure). That said this business is now more of a priority to me so please feel free to support my music-making lifestyle and send me an email with your requests.

Also, archie that's really awesome.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
In fact I received an email from RivensBitch not five minutes ago telling me that my processor has just shipped. :hellyeah:

archie
Sep 16, 2003

Supervillin posted:

Also, archie that's really awesome.

cheers mate :D as you can tell i'm pumped.

haven't seen you around for a while either which makes me sad. you should drop by #electronic on synirc some time :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supervillin
Feb 6, 2005

Pillbug

archie posted:

cheers mate :D as you can tell i'm pumped.

haven't seen you around for a while either which makes me sad. you should drop by #electronic on synirc some time :)

Who what? Sure, I'll drop by, but I'm not sure I'm the droid you're looking for :confused: