Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Marinmo posted:

Not at all the same actually. This means that nautilus isn't running on your system. Was this typed while in a Gnome-session? If so, you have a problem with nautilus either crashing (unlikely) or exiting with an error (likely). teapot or someone more knowledgeable might be more helpful than me, but I'd start with checking something like /etc/var/log. An example command you could try with is;
cat /etc/var/log | grep nautilus

(Edit: Just tried this on my server though and it seem ubuntu doesn't use /etc/var/log. Google doesn't seem too helpful on this one but you may try something like:
ls /var/log | grep nautilus)

Paste the results here and I (or someone else) might be able to help you further.

Good luck!
That command doesn't seem to do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

dorkface posted:

I'm using kubuntu 7.10. I've already did modprobe ftdi_sio some time ago, so I won't be able to tell you what it says.

I haven't been able to reload that module since I'm getting the aforementioned errors. I'd post what it says, but I don't want to take up a page just for that.

Do you mind booting the kubuntu livecd, plugging in your device and checking dmesg? This module has worked out of the box for me without fail and I wonder if your manual installation steps overwrote the provided kernel module.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

hooah posted:

That command doesn't seem to do anything.
Sorry, I don't have gnome handy here (server is headless and I don't care for X forwarding), but perhaps ~/.xsession-errors might be able to tell you something.
So something like:
less ~/.xsession-errors
and scroll through the eventual errors until you find one that seems applicable. But as I said, teapot might be able to help you more than I do. Hopefully he'll see this post and correct me. :)

dorkface
Dec 27, 2005

sund posted:

Do you mind booting the kubuntu livecd, plugging in your device and checking dmesg? This module has worked out of the box for me without fail and I wonder if your manual installation steps overwrote the provided kernel module.

Woah, sweet, after booting up and removing brltty, it actually worked! Thanks! But, how am I able to fix the original installation, by backing up and reformatting, or is there a less drastic measure?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

covener posted:

Debian ships separate kernel packages for kernels built with large (4gb+) memory support, maybe ubuntu does the same; the packages are suffixed with -bigmem in debian.

Not all kernels are configured this way because there is a performance hit for the additional indirection.

Hmm. The linux-server meta package installs a large memory kernel; however, there is a bug with that configuration. The linux-restricted-modules-2.6.22-14-server package is missing (See bug #153011 on Launchpad). I need the restricted modules manager for my Nvidia graphics card, or else I'm stuck with 800x600. When I try to follow the workaround provided in the comments, I get compile errors. Plus, I don't think I want to re-compile kernel modules every time there is an update. If I'm going to do that, I'd rather compile whatever I need for high memory support instead. Do I have any other options here?

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

dorkface posted:

Woah, sweet, after booting up and removing brltty, it actually worked! Thanks! But, how am I able to fix the original installation, by backing up and reformatting, or is there a less drastic measure?

Maybe try reinstalling/upgrading your linux-ubuntu-modules package in the package manager. I'm really at a loss at this point. I'm coming from using a gentoo system, so apt and ubuntu are somewhat new.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Kobayashi posted:

Hmm. The linux-server meta package installs a large memory kernel; however, there is a bug with that configuration. The linux-restricted-modules-2.6.22-14-server package is missing (See bug #153011 on Launchpad). I need the restricted modules manager for my Nvidia graphics card, or else I'm stuck with 800x600. When I try to follow the workaround provided in the comments, I get compile errors. Plus, I don't think I want to re-compile kernel modules every time there is an update. If I'm going to do that, I'd rather compile whatever I need for high memory support instead. Do I have any other options here?

if you took the .config from your current kernel and flipped on highmem you'd still be in the same boat where that other kernel module package wouldn't work; you'd need to build that package as well.

default non-bigmem kernel on debian unstable:

$ grep HIGHMEM /boot/config-`uname -r`
# CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM is not set
CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y
# CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G is not set
CONFIG_HIGHMEM=y
# CONFIG_DEBUG_HIGHMEM is not set

emf
Aug 1, 2002

emf posted:

I'm playing musical chairs with some hard drives I was looking for a bit of advice. In my desktop computer I have a 500GB drive that I want to remove and add it to the LVM (containing a 750GB drive) on my media computer. I'm pretty sure I can accomplish this from the information I've been able to assemble.

To do this I need to make a copy of the files on the 500GB drive to the 320GB drive I'm removing from the media computer. The 500GB drive currently has about 16GB occupied. From what I understand, dd cannot do this, as the partitions would not fit on the smaller drive. I think I can use cfdisk to set up the / and swap partitions (making sure to make / bootable), then use sudo cp -apx /dev/sda1 /dev/sda2 to copy all the files. Power-down, remove sda, swap sdb to sda, then reboot.

What is the flaw in this all-too-easy plan?
That isn't going to work, is it? I need to temporarily mount /dev/sda1 to something like /temproot and do a sudo cp -apx / /temproot/. That should work, yes?

Poor Mans Randbrick
Feb 18, 2007

I logged into my ubuntu feisty partition after a long period without using it and I'm having a few problems. Whenever I login I get this error message:

and I'm not sure why this is happening, or what it does.

I'm also having problems upgrading ubuntu, I keep getting this error:

Pretty sure that I don't have another package manager running, I tried restarting and attempting to upgrade a couple of times but this keeps popping up. What should I do?

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

emf posted:

That isn't going to work, is it? I need to temporarily mount /dev/sda1 to something like /temproot and do a sudo cp -apx / /temproot/. That should work, yes?

If you use cp on /dev files, it is going to do pretty much the same as dd, except less configurable and less robust. So, you are going to have to mount stuff to copy it over. Copying / to /temproot might result in a hilarious infinite loop, though, not sure in a bunch of excessive copy and a warning about not being able to copy something or other.

Vanadium fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 14, 2007

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Vanadium posted:

If you use cp on /dev files, it is going to do pretty much the same as dd, except less configurable and less robust.

cp -a (as OP offered) copies device nodes, not their contents.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Nevermind :downs:

emf
Aug 1, 2002

NEVER MIND. GOOGLE SAVES THE DAY AGAIN.

emf fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 14, 2007

dorkface
Dec 27, 2005

Hrolf Pyjama posted:

I logged into my ubuntu feisty partition after a long period without using it and I'm having a few problems. Whenever I login I get this error message:

I'm also having problems upgrading ubuntu, I keep getting this error:

Pretty sure that I don't have another package manager running, I tried restarting and attempting to upgrade a couple of times but this keeps popping up. What should I do?

If you can manage getting into on of the terminals by pressing ctrl + alt + F1-F6 at the login screen, you can hopefully log in and type "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" to upgrade to gutsy. And be sure to check that the repositories in /etc/apt/sources.list (make a backup of the file) have "gutsy" instead of "fiesty" in each line.

dorkface fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Nov 14, 2007

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

dorkface posted:

If you can manage getting into on of the terminals by pressing ctrl + alt + F1-F6 at the login screen, you can hopefully log in and type "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" to upgrade to gutsy. And be sure to check that the repositories in /etc/apt/sources.list (make a backup of the file) have "gutsy" instead of "fiesty" in each line.

No. Terminal has absolutely nothing to do with lock files in package manager's directories. All utilities will tell you exactly the same thing, and if they didn't there would be a massive amount of conflicts caused by simultaneous updates. Messages are most likely because of auto-check for updates is running in background, so update your old OS before upgrading it, this is just common sense.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Hrolf Pyjama posted:

You have disabled ACPI in BIOS setup.

It's also possible that you have disabled it on the kernel command line in GRUB, but I guess, you would remember if you did.

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

I had a ruff day at work.
Uh, I feel REALLY stupid for asking this but here goes.

I just installed Ubuntu on a whim, I used the live cd version for about an hour fiddling around and liked it so I did the full install. I noticed when using my live cd that I could also see my files from my harddrive that were made in windows. Now that I've installed, I can't seem to find them.

Did I just completely reformat my harddrive? If I did, that's fine as everything I have is backed up on my desktop, but I'd like to know for sure...

On a side note, as I'm completely new to Linux, what are some essential programs to pick up?

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

deimos posted:

I am having an annoying problem sometimes with Gutsy on my laptop (Vostro 1500). I am not sure it has 100% to do with Xorg or compiz and not 100% sure it has to do with booting into battery but seems to exacerbate it if I do so.

The problem: sometimes when I boot into gutsy, it's really slow to respond. This is exemplified by the fact that if I click and drag to select icons on my Desktop it really really lags. I am running a top right now (plugged in to wall) with firefox also open and it shows firefox-bin at 19-25% constant CPU (edit: flash was running), compiz at 5% and Xorg 2-6%. My CPU is fluctuating 800MHz to 1600MHz. When I click and drag on the desktop Xorg jumps to 85-90% usage. (CPU usage is from having booted into battery then plugged in)

This is mostly a minor annoyance because I can just restart X (ctrl+alt+backspace) and it fixes itself most of the time. But I'd like it to not happen. There seem to be no errors on Xorg.0.log, the nvidia driver seems to load correctly including:

code:
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling RENDER acceleration
(II) NVIDIA(0): Support for GLX with the Damage and Composite X extensions is
(II) NVIDIA(0):     enabled.
..snip..
(II) Loading extension NV-GLX
(II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA 3D Acceleration Architecture Initialized
(II) NVIDIA(0): Using the NVIDIA 2D acceleration architecture
Cpu: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5470 @ 1.60GHz

If you need anything else, let me know.

P.S. Also, does anyone know how to make loving touchpad less spazztic click-wise? edit: I think I solved my own problem.

Try to remove Nautilus from the session. I don't constantly run a file manager, and have Thunar for those rare occasions when it is useful (but mostly to keep "Places" menu working properly). I also have Sawfish as an alternative window manager -- not as pretty as Compiz but fast and convenient.

"Anti-Nautilus" script:

http://mars.illtel.denver.co.us/~abelits/sa/software/to-thunar-sawfish/to-thunar-sawfish-0.1.tar.gz
(README file is named like that for a reason!)

Switching to Compiz (in the form suitable for menu item or launcher):

sh -c "gnome-session-remove sawfish; compiz --replace&"

Switching to Sawfish (in the form suitable for menu item or launcher):

sh -c "gnome-session-remove compiz; sleep 1; killall compiz.real gtk-window-decorator; sawfish &"

It won't give you desktop icons, however file manager's windows should respond very fast.

Git
Aug 21, 2004

Mugmoor posted:

I just installed Ubuntu on a whim, I used the live cd version for about an hour fiddling around and liked it so I did the full install. I noticed when using my live cd that I could also see my files from my harddrive that were made in windows. Now that I've installed, I can't seem to find them.

Did I just completely reformat my harddrive? If I did, that's fine as everything I have is backed up on my desktop, but I'd like to know for sure...

I think the default 'full' install does try to use your entire disk, so you may well be out of luck. If you want to be certain, your best bet is probably to install gparted (sudo apt-get install gparted) and use it (sudo gparted) to have a look at your partition table.

Or you can paste the outcome of the following here and someone in this thread can hazard a guess:
code:
ls /dev/sd*; ls /dev/hd*; cat /etc/fstab;

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Mugmoor posted:

Uh, I feel REALLY stupid for asking this but here goes.

Places -> Computer will show recognized drives.

You may have to install ntfs-3g package and reboot before it will work -- I have no idea if it is installed by default.

quote:

On a side note, as I'm completely new to Linux, what are some essential programs to pick up?

http://www.tldp.org/guides.html , I guess, can help.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

teapot posted:

You may have to install ntfs-3g package and reboot before it will work -- I have no idea if it is installed by default.

7.10 has ntfs-3g installed by default, if I remember the release notes correctly.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Marinmo posted:

Sorry, I don't have gnome handy here (server is headless and I don't care for X forwarding), but perhaps ~/.xsession-errors might be able to tell you something.
So something like:
less ~/.xsession-errors
and scroll through the eventual errors until you find one that seems applicable. But as I said, teapot might be able to help you more than I do. Hopefully he'll see this post and correct me. :)

I didn't find anything that looked applicable, but then again, I'm not sure.

Mario Incandenza
Aug 24, 2000

Tell me, small fry, have you ever heard of the golden Triumph Forks?
Is there any way that an external program can get MythTV to start playing something from the media library? Sending keypresses is okay but it would be nice to build a library browser into this AJAX remote controller and use it on an iPod Touch.

edit: not html, stupid

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Scaevolus posted:

7.10 has ntfs-3g installed by default, if I remember the release notes correctly.

Yeah, under Applications -> System Tools (I think) there is an NTFS configuration option that sorts that out for you by default in 7.10.

Backfat
Jan 25, 2006
Seeing is not believing

I was not certain if I should post this in this specific thread, but I didn't want to create a new one and risk getting flamed.

I am currently deciding whether or not I should switch to Linux from Windows. I have used Linux slightly in the past but not enough to where I would feel comfortable using it on a day to day basis and making it my primary operating system. So I have a few questions.

Firstly and most importantly which version of Linux should I go for. I hear a lot of great things about Ubuntu.

Should I buy books and read up more before I make this decision, if so, which ones.

I tend to play quite a few video games, is it possible for me to play them on Linux using WINEHQ?

I am going to college for Networking/Programming(1st semester), would Linux be a good choice so I can give myself some ground knowledge?

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
This might be a stupid question, but to reference my previous post, I tried Fluxbuntu on my laptop (380Mhz K6-2, 160MB ram, 10GB hdd, 2MB S3 ViRGE/MX) and it ran great, but really didnt have two things i wanted:
1. Control panel or an equivalent like on Ubuntu.
2. Lack of useful programs.

I should have expected this, from using a earlier version of Fluxbuntu via a VM on my windows machine. I installed Ubuntu 6.06 instead, because I had that one lying around and I was too lazy to spend 40+ minutes downloading the latest CD version of 7.10.
This is what I'd like to know:

This computer does not have an RJ-45 jack, nor do I have a PC Card with an RJ-45 jack. (It has an RJ-11 jack though :v: ) I would like to install certain programs like Abiword on this system without having to connect to the internet to deal with dependencies and such, simply because I cannot. Would I download the .deb file from the site or what?

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

Gvaz posted:

This computer does not have an RJ-45 jack, nor do I have a PC Card with an RJ-45 jack. (It has an RJ-11 jack though :v: ) I would like to install certain programs like Abiword on this system without having to connect to the internet to deal with dependencies and such, simply because I cannot. Would I download the .deb file from the site or what?

Well, in some cases, you're going to have to deal with dependences. They're called dependences because the program really and truly does DEPEND on them.

Assuming you have all dependences met, though, you can download packages from http://packages.ubuntu.com/

If you don't have the dependences met, then the Debian installer will tell you what you need, and packages.ubuntu.com will let you download them.

Does the laptop have USB? It might be worth it to just fork out the :10bux: for a USB Ethernet adapter.

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

Concerning my problem earlier:

I did an easy thing to check, I looked at how much disk space was free on my harddrive since I knew how much I had before Linux. I definitely reformatted my computer. And I made sure to check that Linux was getting my full HD space and not just a small partition.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Lothaos posted:

not enough to where I would feel comfortable using it on a day to day basis and making it my primary operating system.

Keep in mind that you don't have to get rid of your current primary operating system to use Linux and unless you want to throw yourself in at the deep end I would recommend that you don't.

quote:

So I have a few questions.

Firstly and most importantly which version of Linux should I go for. I hear a lot of great things about Ubuntu.

Ubuntu is a great first choice. Download the latest 'live cd' (the normal install cd) and you can run it without even installing it. There are seek times from the cd (so it will run slow) but it's a great way to at least get a preliminary feel for it. It will also let you test to see how much of your hardware works 'out of the box' without going to any effort.

quote:

Should I buy books and read up more before I make this decision, if so, which ones.

I wouldn't, just play with the live cd. However, do be prepared to do a google search / read the man pages if you run into a problem. http://www.google.com/linux sometimes returns more relevant results than 'normal' google. If you want to delve into the command line or understand more about the linux system then http://tldp.org/guides.html is a good start.

You may wish to consider whether to download Kubuntu (KDE desktop) or Ubuntu (Gnome desktop). The Gnome philosophy involves (mostly!) sane defaults and a simplified interface whereas KDE is much more configurable / complicated, depending on how you look at it.

Note that if you install Ubuntu, it's easy to install the KDE desktop later and vice versa, so you're not tied to one or the other if you change your mind or want to try them both out.

quote:

I tend to play quite a few video games, is it possible for me to play them on Linux using WINEHQ?

Yes and no. Your mileage will vary and there is a list of supported games at the Wine website. Also check out Frank's Corner. You can pay for a version of Wine called Cedega for a nominal monthly amount that seems to work better, but it's still very hit and miss in my experience.

Why not dual boot - you can easily install Ubuntu to sit alongside your Windows install and simply select Windows when the computer boots in order to play games.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 14, 2007

Poor Mans Randbrick
Feb 18, 2007

teapot posted:

You have disabled ACPI in BIOS setup.

It's also possible that you have disabled it on the kernel command line in GRUB, but I guess, you would remember if you did.

I couldn't find ACPI settings in my BIOS setup, so I tried switching all my BIOS settings to their original default and I still get this error everytime I login.

Poor Mans Randbrick fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 15, 2007

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Well, I just jumped into my first Linux build. I work at telephony company that is getting into Asterisks, so my boss has been jumping all over me to start learning linux.

I have an old box, an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe, with an Nvidia FX 5900 XT card. I threw Ubuntu on it (we usually use Cent OS for our PBX's), but I wanted atleast something visual.

So far, it's pretty good, but I have a couple questions that maybe I can field and get some help:

1) The computer HDD setup is like this:

RAID0 Array with two 80 gig Maxtor drives (My windows OS lives here)
40gb IDE HD Where Ubuntu lives
120gb IDE HD for data storage

I installed Ubuntu on the spare drive that I had, but I didn't mess with any dual booting things. I can't even see the RAID array from within Ubuntu, though.

I need to figure out how to can get Ubuntu to recognize the Raid array, or atleast allow me dual boot, with out messing with the raid array. I don't want to mess up my windows build. I really need that PC, and I don't want to lose that Windows build. I have too much on it that I can't replace.

Do I have to rebuild Linux on the drive and do something different?

2) I can't get Bluetooth to work. I read quite a few pages talking about messing with sudo hidd commands, and opening OBEX, but I couldn't get anything to work. It first gave me an error regarding obex://MAC ADD OF DEVICE invalid name. I installed an open OBEX app, and now it gives me the same error, but with the service is not started.

Is there anything I need to install or configure?

Also, I need a way to get Linux to run IE, so I can do Netflix instant watching. This is going on my HTPC, because it's the only spare PC I have. But if I can't get that, I'll always have dual booting.

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

Ericcorp posted:

Also, I need a way to get Linux to run IE, so I can do Netflix instant watching. This is going on my HTPC, because it's the only spare PC I have. But if I can't get that, I'll always have dual booting.

Wine can run internet explorer fine, as well there is a plugin (I forget what it's called) for Firefox that emulates Internet Explorer perfectly.

Now, for my own problem!

I found a tutorial that adds a right-click menu option for mounting or unmounting .ISO files. I've typed things in exactly as they are (and made sure the files are in the right directories) but I keep getting an error from the terminal that my directory doesn't exist. I know it does, as I've checked it countless times.

The directory in question is /home/MYUSERNAME/desktop. Or in fact, even just my Username folder. For some reason it keeps telling me that it doesn't exist, I don't understand!

As well, I'm apparently not the owner of my Harddrive? That's the error I get when I try to edit anything in the root folder.

marcan
Sep 3, 2006
(:(){ :|:;};:)

Mugmoor posted:

there is a plugin (I forget what it's called) for Firefox that emulates Internet Explorer perfectly.
I'm pretty sure that's a windows-only thing. It embeds IE, but IE has to already run natively on the target system.

Mugmoor posted:

The directory in question is /home/MYUSERNAME/desktop. Or in fact, even just my Username folder. For some reason it keeps telling me that it doesn't exist, I don't understand!
Paste your commands here, together with the results. Also, Linux is case sensitive. MYUSERNAME is not the same thing as myusername. IIRC, Desktop is spelled with a capital D (at least on my KDE system), which may be your problem.

Mugmoor posted:

As well, I'm apparently not the owner of my Harddrive? That's the error I get when I try to edit anything in the root folder.
You indeed aren't. root is. prefix a command with sudo to run it as root. Note that anything that you run as root has full and complete power over your system, so be careful.

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

marcan posted:

I'm pretty sure that's a windows-only thing. It embeds IE, but IE has to already run natively on the target system.

Paste your commands here, together with the results. Also, Linux is case sensitive. MYUSERNAME is not the same thing as myusername. IIRC, Desktop is spelled with a capital D (at least on my KDE system), which may be your problem.

You indeed aren't. root is. prefix a command with sudo to run it as root. Note that anything that you run as root has full and complete power over your system, so be careful.

Yeah, didn't know it was case-sensitive, go me!

I knew about the sudo command, didn't realize that was how it worked though, thank a lot!

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Col posted:

Yes and no. Your mileage will vary and there is a list of supported games at the Wine website. Also check out Frank's Corner. You can pay for a version of Wine called Cedega for a nominal monthly amount that seems to work better, but it's still very hit and miss in my experience.
Cedega isn't even worth trying these days. It's way behind Wine, and Wine is free software.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Hrolf Pyjama posted:

I couldn't find ACPI settings in my BIOS setup, so I tried switching all my BIOS settings to their original default and I still get this error everytime I login.

What is the output of
code:
cat /proc/cmdline 
?

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Ericcorp posted:

Well, I just jumped into my first Linux build. I work at telephony company that is getting into Asterisks, so my boss has been jumping all over me to start learning linux.

I have an old box, an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe, with an Nvidia FX 5900 XT card. I threw Ubuntu on it (we usually use Cent OS for our PBX's), but I wanted atleast something visual.

So far, it's pretty good, but I have a couple questions that maybe I can field and get some help:

1) The computer HDD setup is like this:

RAID0 Array with two 80 gig Maxtor drives (My windows OS lives here)
40gb IDE HD Where Ubuntu lives
120gb IDE HD for data storage

I installed Ubuntu on the spare drive that I had, but I didn't mess with any dual booting things. I can't even see the RAID array from within Ubuntu, though.

What kind of RAID array is it? Hardware? Software?

quote:

I need to figure out how to can get Ubuntu to recognize the Raid array,

You can use dmraid for that. But better don't because Windows implementation of RAID has no usable autodetection, and therefore it's easy to mess up. And who uses either Maxtor 80G hard drives or RAID0 now? Just copy that data from Windows to a new drive or, better, networked storage (another Linux box will be fine for that).

quote:

or atleast allow me dual boot, with out messing with the raid array.
code:
title Windows
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1
should be in the Windows section of /boot/grub/menu.lst . (hd0,0) would be the right device if Windows bootloader was on the first partition of the first drive -- grub uses first number for disk number, second for partition number starting from 0, and in the order of devices that BIOS sees.

quote:

I don't want to mess up my windows build. I really need that PC, and I don't want to lose that Windows build. I have too much on it that I can't replace.

Do I have to rebuild Linux on the drive and do something different?
This is something you should only do if your system got erased or compromised.

quote:

2) I can't get Bluetooth to work. I read quite a few pages talking about messing with sudo hidd commands, and opening OBEX, but I couldn't get anything to work. It first gave me an error regarding obex://MAC ADD OF DEVICE invalid name. I installed an open OBEX app, and now it gives me the same error, but with the service is not started.

Is there anything I need to install or configure?
What are you trying to do with it? And why do you think, your devices support OBEX?

quote:

I have absolutely no idea if it will work with whatever contraption Netflix has, but to install IE on Linux you need ies4linux.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

teapot posted:

What kind of RAID array is it? Hardware? Software?

It's embedded in my MB, which is an Asus A7N8XE-deluxe. I believe it's probably software, it isn't a expensive enough device to have hardware RAID.

teapot posted:

You can use dmraid for that. But better don't because Windows implementation of RAID has no usable autodetection, and therefore it's easy to mess up. And who uses either Maxtor 80G hard drives or RAID0 now? Just copy that data from Windows to a new drive or, better, networked storage (another Linux box will be fine for that).

I googled the problem, and tried dmraid. I activated it, but it still didn't detect my drive. I didn't go too deep into it because I didn't want to mess anything up. I shouldn't have used the RAID0 array, but it was a few years ago, and I was stupid. But I can't just copy it in it's entirety with out messing up the entire Windows build, right?

teapot posted:

code:
title Windows
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1
should be in the Windows section of /boot/grub/menu.lst . (hd0,0) would be the right device if Windows bootloader was on the first partition of the first drive -- grub uses first number for disk number, second for partition number starting from 0, and in the order of devices that BIOS sees.

This is something you should only do if your system got erased or compromised.

So I'm probably better of not messing with it? It's not that big of a deal for me to boot up, go into BIOS and change the boot order so that the Windows SCSI boots first, or that the Linux boots first.

teapot posted:

What are you trying to do with it? And why do you think, your devices support OBEX?

Just hook up an old Dell BT keyboard and mouse with my cheap Encore dongle. Is there a list I can check compatibility with the newest Ubuntu build?

teapot posted:

I have absolutely no idea if it will work with whatever contraption Netflix has, but to install IE on Linux you need ies4linux.

I don't know either, it doesn't give me an error stating that Firefox doesn't support the player, but that the OS itself is the problem. If you run it in Windows with Firefox the error indicates the brower.

Thanks for the answers though.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 15, 2007

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Ericcorp posted:

It's embedded in my MB, which is an Asus A7N8XE-deluxe. I believe it's probably software, it isn't a expensive enough device to have hardware RAID.

I googled the problem, and tried dmraid. I activated it, but it still didn't detect my drive. I didn't go too deep into it because I didn't want to mess anything up. I shouldn't have used the RAID0 array, but it was a few years ago, and I was stupid. But I can't just copy it in it's entirety with out messing up the entire Windows build, right?
You should be able to boot into Windows and copy everything onto another drive.

quote:

So I'm probably better of not messing with it? It's not that big of a deal for me to boot up, go into BIOS and change the boot order so that the Windows SCSI boots first, or that the Linux boots first.
Adding GRUB entry will make switching OS on reboot much easier.

quote:

Just hook up an old Dell BT keyboard and mouse with my cheap Encore dongle. Is there a list I can check compatibility with the newest Ubuntu build?
Those are HID devices, not OBEX. Should be supported as such.

quote:

I don't know either, it doesn't give me an error stating that Firefox doesn't support the player, but that the OS itself is the problem. If you run it in Windows with Firefox the error indicates the brower.

Thanks for the answers though.

Web site developers have absolutely no idea what they do or don't like. Some sites are trying to be "helpful" and give error messages if a browser doesn't have User-Agent string that site recognizes. Some use features supported by one version of one browser. Some try to guess what a browser supports and may send completely different versions of the site to different browsers. This is all stupid, and they would be better off if sites supported standards and common quirks while proprietary DRM'ed players were separate applications (or, better, if all DRM-using companies died in a fire). They probably use some ActiveX control, so it definitely needs IE, but may or may not run properly in Wine. Install ies4linux and see it it will work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

teapot posted:

You should be able to boot into Windows and copy everything onto another drive.

Adding GRUB entry will make switching OS on reboot much easier.

Those are HID devices, not OBEX. Should be supported as such.

Ok. I'll researching adding HID devices to my system.

In regards to the Windows copying. Even though it's running of off a RAID0 array, I can copy the entire contents of that drive over to a new drive, and then windows will still be bootable from the new drive? The end result is that I will free up the two SATA drives, so I can run them in a RAID1 array. I don't know how to do that with out really screwing up the boot record.

And editing the GRUB, you said not to do that, unless it's a fresh install, right?