Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Beer Pong rear end in a top hat posted:

I made my first guitar purchase yesterday. I have owned a Washburn Lyon LC2 for a few years, but never really got into it. Don't get me wrong, it was a perfectly acceptable starter guitar. However, I just got an Epiphone SG-310 as my first REAL starter guitar.

Great choice as inexpensive guitars go, I'm sure you'll be happy with it! Check out my modified G310 a little further up the page from your post - though I bought it as a beginner guitar when I was starting out, it's comfy enough to play that I've put some money into improving it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emilbus
May 30, 2001

Diduuh diduuh.

archie posted:

that doesn't appear to be the most ergonomic of banana holders. does that little joystick control how the banana's peeled? do you use the led's on the keyboard to create sequences to devour said fruit? was the banana complimentry or did you have to purchase it individually? if so how much was the shipping? don't mean to tyre kick...

Whoa hey now, it just holds the banana.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

Supervillin posted:

Also, archie that's really awesome.

Well I'll be! I thought he quit whenever he left his job. :sweatdrop:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
My next purchase:

I'm selling a bunch of stuff on eBay (shameless plug), and once that's gone, I'll be getting it.

:commissar:
(Formerly Colonial Air Force)

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 15, 2007

kelpo
May 27, 2003

We are a Blaze in the Northern Sky
The next thousand Years Are OURS!
been on a gear binge as of late this encompasses the past two months:

180$ off of Rondo, they don't seem to have this model anymore (dont know why its loving awesome and was perfectly set up when i got it)

this lil guy is awesome 50$ off craigslist

in hopes of recording a demo i got this off musiciansfriend for 200$

and i got a SX black block fretless neck for my Frankenbass that i should be installing this weekend

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

RSPsych0 posted:

My next purchase:

I'm selling a bunch of stuff on eBay (shameless plug), and once that's gone, I'll be getting it.

Mine should be getting to my house today. :hellyeah:

Too bad I won't be there for two more weeks. :smith:

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

RSPsych0 posted:

My next purchase:

I really wish I knew why Line 6 didn't decide to put a reverb stomp switch on this one :smith:

Though it's nice they put a comp switch

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.
A Keeley Fuzz Head... my new baby. Here's a clip of it in action: http://www.flossman.org/FuzzHead.mp3. It's a little bassy, but I didn't really feel like adjusting it.

The guitar is my strat with a lace alumitone in the neck and a jb jr. in the bridge. It's tuned to drop-D.

Spiral
Dec 20, 2003

hamaien posted:

I really wish I knew why Line 6 didn't decide to put a reverb stomp switch on this one :smith:

The XT Live had a comp switch as well.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

hamaien posted:

I've just been reading the manual for the X3 Live, and it looks like you can assign the comp/boost switch to reverb instead.

I'm seriously thinking that I may try to whip something together where my laptop is controlling the X3 Live and using it for live one-man-band shows. I could run audio backing tracks out from the laptop into the CD in, run vocals through the XLR, guitar through the 1/4", and MIDI control signals to switch tones for vox/guitar as needed, cued to the rest of the audio so I don't even have to step on pedals. Everything could run to the board using the stereo XLR outs. Oops, got an erection.

mofolotopo fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 16, 2007

Fanny Pack Kiosk
Aug 6, 2006

Famous Birds:
The Complete Desk Reference

Handen posted:

The two teles on the left - are the pickups stock? I have an HS Cyclone that's getting new pickups and I'm looking for ideas.

WET BUTT
Mar 11, 2005

This is gonna rule. Also it's loud enough to use with keys/organ unlike my other guitar fuzz pedals. Anyone have any favorite settings?

EmuOfFury
Oct 7, 2004

I could stare at you forever.
EWI 4000s :cool:

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Fanny Pack Kiosk posted:

The two teles on the left - are the pickups stock? I have an HS Cyclone that's getting new pickups and I'm looking for ideas.

Those are Squier '51s, the yellow one has a 2007 USA Standard Strat neck pup and a Seymour Duncan SH-3 Stag Mag (not pictured) in the bridge. The black one has a stock bridge pup and some unknown chrome Dimarzio single coil with a PAF sticker on the back in the neck pos. I'm still out on what I wanna do with the bridge pickup on the black one, but I was thinking of maybe going with active pickups for both positions or just a Lace Alumitone pickup because those look sweet and I'm curious to see how they sound. Y'see, I just like messing around with lots of pickups until I find a great sound, then I leave it.

Here's a picture of the alumitone, which has no wires and is made of, you guessed it, aluminum...

If you're looking for a really vintage sounding combination, get some sort of Strat neck pup and the SH-3 (but make sure you have a coiltap switch!) It sounds heavenly. As for heavier stuff, I put a new Dimarzio Super II in the bridge and it sounded like poo poo. Take this as you will.

WET BUTT posted:

Awe I'm jealous. Boutique pedals rule. Where are the soundclips?!

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 16, 2007

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

Handen posted:

a Lace Alumitone pickup because those look sweet and I'm curious to see how they sound.

They sound like really clear vintage pickups. You won't regret getting a set of those. Although mine plays a bit odd with my fuzz, because the pickup itself is low impedance.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

FlossMan posted:

They sound like really clear vintage pickups. You won't regret getting a set of those. Although mine plays a bit odd with my fuzz, because the pickup itself is low impedance.

Yeah I was wondering about that, it says the impedance is something like 2.5k, which is ridiculously low. Out of curiousity, what kind did you get? The humbucker model or the single coil, and what type of guitar are they in?

Edit: I've been looking for really clean pickups, and it's between the Alumitone, or a Q-Tuner neodymium magnet humbucker, though somehow I'll probably end up with both eventually.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 16, 2007

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

Handen posted:

Yeah I was wondering about that, it says the impedance is something like 2.5k, which is ridiculously low. Out of curiousity, what kind did you get? The humbucker model or the single coil, and what type of guitar are they in?

I used them in the Fuzz Head clip a few posts up, just so you can get a little taste of the sound. But, I got the single-coil and put it in the neck position of a '95 mexi strat, along with a lace hot gold in the middle and a coil-tapped jb jr. in the bridge. If you get the single-coil one, you're going to have to modify the hole in the pickguard, though. The alumintone needs a rectangular hole. Nothing a dremel or exacto knife can't fix, though.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
drat, those Alumitone pickups look scientifically rad. Though you say "really clean," do they sound sterile at all? That was the only thing I didn't like about the Strat Lace Sensors. :(

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Uncle Caveman posted:

drat, those Alumitone pickups look scientifically rad. Though you say "really clean," do they sound sterile at all? That was the only thing I didn't like about the Strat Lace Sensors. :(

I hear this criticism leveled at Lace pickups all the time, and I think it might come from an underestimation of exactly how precisely they have to be adjusted regarding string height in order to sound their best. They don't respond like traditional 6-pole pickups and they need a great deal of attention to get the most out of them. I mentioned this to someone recently on the forums and he spent some time adjusting a Silver he had and was much, much happier afterwards. They're not so fire-and-forget, but they can have a sound that is just as organic and lively as standard Fender pickups.

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

Uncle Caveman posted:

They don't sound sterile at all. Not to my ears, at least. If you want, I can record a couple quick clips.

Also... Agreed, how do you have your sensors adjusted?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Spiral posted:

The XT Live had a comp switch as well.

Do you mean assigning the stomp switch to a compressor or is there a hidden method for turning on and off the comp that I don't know about?

Powerglove
Aug 4, 2003

hamaien posted:

Do you mean assigning the stomp switch to a compressor or is there a hidden method for turning on and off the comp that I don't know about?

You can set the patch in the software so that the amp stomp switch turns on and off the comp / boost instead of the amp modeling.

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.

Uncle Caveman posted:

A buddy of mine who is one of the preeminent blues cats around here has an early 90s Hamer (of all things) with a set of the alumitones in it, and they sound downright magical. there is certainly a difference between them and, say, old strat pickups, but they are certainly more than worth the money.

EDIT: Im pretty sure this is the guitar. not my favorite song of theirs, and the sound quality is far from great, but you can sort of get an idea. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwpkXUEOtn0

Captain Organ fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 16, 2007

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

FlossMan posted:

They don't sound sterile at all. Not to my ears, at least. If you want, I can record a couple quick clips.

Also... Agreed, how do you have your sensors adjusted?

My blue in the neck of my strat, I keep pretty close to the strings in general but closer to the treble side, very slightly, than the bass strings. For the red in the middle I have it adjusted very nearly flat, just a slight favoring of the treble, and a little farther from the strings. The way that Lace Sensor pickups work relies on a weaker, but more compact magnetic field that is also more definite in its shape, so they tend to sound better when you've got less string clearance than with traditional pickups.

There's not any secret or magic to it, you just basically fiddle with it 'til it sounds right to you: you just have to keep in mind that they like to be closer than most pickups because of their construction and technology.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

mr_package posted:

I decided to upgrade my vocal mic, although I must say my old SM57 served me well:

Blue Microphones Blueberry.

Now I just need something with phantom power so I can try it out.

I know this was like 4 pages back, but how do you buy a thousand dollar condenser mic without owning a preamp with +48v first? I can also go in a different direction and ask you why you bought a thousand dollar mic before a decent preamp? Priorities, man.

Nice mic, though.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

Damo posted:

I know this was like 4 pages back, but how do you buy a thousand dollar condenser mic without owning a preamp with +48v first? I can also go in a different direction and ask you why you bought a thousand dollar mic before a decent preamp? Priorities, man.

Nice mic, though.

How can you be an '02 and still have a stupid newbie avatar? Priorities, man. ;)

Spiral
Dec 20, 2003

Powerglove posted:

You can set the patch in the software so that the amp stomp switch turns on and off the comp / boost instead of the amp modeling.
this is what i meant

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.
Finally got around to posting pics of a few new toys.

A couple of Medicine Bottle Slides. The blue one is heavier and gives a really nice sound for acoustic, the thinner sunburst one I use for electric.

Shure Green Bullet Harmonica Microphone I found fairly cheap on eBay. Has a great sound played through my little Pignose amp.

And I just finished putting together my new Strat from parts. Includes Eric Clapton 25dB Mid Boost circuit, TBX tone control, Fender SCN Pickups, 50's style body, 70's style headstock. Has a really nice classic Strat sound but the Mid Boost thickens it up when needed. Still need to do a good set-up on it but at least it's finally together now.

With the other members of the family.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

Damo posted:

Nice mic, though.
Eh, it makes sense enough to me. Can't have one without the other, right? But it wasn't quite as dumb as it sounds-- I have a Konnect48 on order with Rivens Bitch but the production was delayed (TC Electronic is supposed to be shipping them soon or may already be, I'm not sure..) I know it's no boutique preamp/channel strip like an Avalon or whatever, but I expect its preamps to be decent enough.

In the mean time it's going through this, haha:

Which for $80 isn't that bad at all actually! I've found it makes a pretty nice Bass DI box, my bass is a poo poo Jay Turser no-name piece of junk but it sounds like a sweet roaring monster through this thing. Well, kind of.

And I just had this little friend show up in my mailbox today, too:

The Emu Xtreme Lead Turbo (barf!). Awful, awful name, but pretty much the epitome of the techno-targeted ROMpler from the late-90's era. 128-voice polyphony, 16 arpeggiators, and 6 outputs. Also 3 expansion slots for additional EMU ROM sets, I plan to pick up a few on ebay if I can get them for a decent price. The Orbit v3 and Planet Phatt, probably. Maybe a 'world music' ROM too.

Gotta say for a 2-line LCD interface this unit is pretty nice. The Emu user interface just beats the hell out of any Roland gear I've ever used. I'm thinking specifically of the MC-303 (borrowed from a friend like 10 years ago) and the JP-8080 I currently own. I hate their shift-this push-that toggle-shift poo poo so much it makes me want to sell it. But I love it :(

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
awww yeah

Roland JX-3P, a pretty underrated vintage Roland analog.

JamesRay
Feb 18, 2004

Out with the Old, in with the Auld
I'm currently renting, but I could buy this Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue for $350 (CDN)

It's a 40W tube amp of course. My current amp is a Marshall 30DFX. It's been over 5 years, and I loving hate the thing. The distortion cuts out, and the effects are mostly useless. Although when I first bought it, I was *just* getting into electric guitars. I imagine I'll be much more pleased with the Tweed? Anyone have experience with these?

cylyk
Feb 3, 2006
T_T

JamesRay posted:

I'm currently renting, but I could buy this Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue for $350 (CDN)

I have one. I like it, and my only issue with it (like I said in another thread) is that it doesn't have a whole lot of clean headroom. If you want a really loud clean sound, then I suggest you check out some other options. Oh, also the distortion channel or whatever it's called is pretty useless to me, so I hope you have some pedals. Aside from that, it sounds really good :cool:

JamesRay
Feb 18, 2004

Out with the Old, in with the Auld

cylyk posted:

I have one. I like it, and my only issue with it (like I said in another thread) is that it doesn't have a whole lot of clean headroom. If you want a really loud clean sound, then I suggest you check out some other options. Oh, also the distortion channel or whatever it's called is pretty useless to me, so I hope you have some pedals. Aside from that, it sounds really good :cool:

poo poo sorry, I should have searched a bit. Thanks for the heads up, I'll be practicing with my band tonight with it...so we'll see how it goes.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

82Daion posted:

Should arrive within the next month or so. It's a 1975 Alembic Series I, owned in a past life by fusion trumpeter Donald Byrd.

So much for that timeframe, but here it is:

And, in the meantime, I also acquired this:

The family:

(I actually got the Alembic in August, but forgot to post it here. :downs: )

help i am on fire
Nov 3, 2005

Do not eat the DJ!
That is a nice looking bass collection. I've never played an Alembic though. How do they sound?

Also, one of these will be my next toy, depending on how much money I have in the music fund after I sell some things.

The Garagemaster guitars are awesome, and they're going on eBay for just a couple hundred dollars.

I've wanted one of these for so long. It's more of a long term "I'll get it when I find the one I want" type of purchase, but half the fun is in the hunt :) I really want to find one in tobacco burst.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

help i am on fire posted:

That is a nice looking bass collection. I've never played an Alembic though. How do they sound?

Thanks!

The fundamental tone resembles a grand piano(to use the cliche), but with the tone controls, you can go to some pretty odd places with your sound. It's very clear, defined, and articulate, without a hint of muddiness. It's not a bass you can hide behind with your playing, so to speak. ;)

Orz
Dec 5, 2006

by Lowtax

82Daion posted:

So much for that timeframe, but here it is:

That really begs the question: why don't more guitars in general use XLR connections (or for that matter, Speakon connections)?

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Orz posted:

That really begs the question: why don't more guitars in general use XLR connections (or for that matter, Speakon connections)?

Speakon as a guitar connection would be a bad idea, mostly because guitars don't output 500-1000W of signal power, and also because the cables are huge and heavy. If you're after a locking jack for your guitar or bass, Neutrik makes one.

The real benefit of a balanced out (XLR or TRS) is that it allows you to run great lengths of cable without signal loss and noise, which isn't something most players need. Plus, to achieve the benefits of a balanced connection, which is what you typically use XLR for, you'd need to make sure your guitar and amp had their output and input impedances matched, which would be difficult to do given the great variety of both out there.

The reason the Alembic uses an XLR connector (and a 5-pin one at that) is that it not only puts out an unbalanced stereo signal, but also has an external power supply which runs power to the electronics through the cable. So, you have 2 pins running bass signal, 2 pins running power, and a ground. There's a special cable you have to use with the bass that plugs into this box:

which allows you to split the signal to 2 amps, if that's your preference, and which provides power to the bass. The box plugs into the wall.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

My Ibanez PF5ECENT(i think?) has an XLR output and I absolutely love it to death. I've always wondered why they don't put them on electrics and use phantom power to power active pickups instead of 9 volts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Engine Fortegue posted:

My Ibanez PF5ECENT(i think?) has an XLR output and I absolutely love it to death. I've always wondered why they don't put them on electrics and use phantom power to power active pickups instead of 9 volts?

Aren't most phantom jacks like 48V?