Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I have my DVR set to copy this show but I am putting off watching it because I don't know if I can handle any soul crushingly :smith: moments right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemienne
May 15, 2007
So what's the deal with the new Bear Grylls episodes coming up? Are they going to be Season 3 of MvW, or is this something totally new? Either way, thank god. I was about to go to Canada and strangle Les Stroud's smug rear end just to get him off the air. That twat's even more insufferable than Danny Forrester, who I at least take pity on for being such an enormous pussy. Les just hams it up, despite his show trying to have all the gravitas of a State of the Union speech.

The Dirty Jobs 150 episode was great. Is there going to be any sort of milestone party for MythBusters perhaps? They've gotta be reaching the 200 mark or so.

Bohemienne fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 4, 2007

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Bohemienne posted:

Is there going to be any sort of milestone party for MythBusters perhaps? They've gotta be reaching the 200 mark or so.

The Superhero show was episode 100, so it'll be a while.

Bohemienne
May 15, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

The Superhero show was episode 100, so it'll be a while.

That was only 100, seriously? I thought Mythbusters had been around way longer than Dirty Jobs.

EDIT: VVVV Oh good call, it was 150 jobs, averaging ~2 to 3 jobs an episode. You win, friend.

Bohemienne fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 4, 2007

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Bohemienne posted:

That was only 100, seriously? I thought Mythbusters had been around way longer than Dirty Jobs.

It wasn't the 150th episode. It was the 150th Dirty Job, if I recall correctly.

That said, I'll be surprised if MB ever do anything terribly special. Their new eps seem to get played on a completely random schedule. And they don't have anywhere near the promotion that Dirty Jobs gets. I mean, Rowe loving deserves every bit of success, but I feel kind of bad for Mythbusters sometimes.

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...
Dirty Jobs was celebrating 150 jobs, not episodes. They have more than one job featured per episode.

e:f,b

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Anyone else catch the waterheater Mythbusters tonight? drat. That's about all I can say, I figured they'd blow, but not to that extent.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

Bohemienne posted:

So what's the deal with the new Bear Grylls episodes coming up? Are they going to be Season 3 of MvW, or is this something totally new? Either way, thank god. I was about to go to Canada and strangle Les Stroud's smug rear end just to get him off the air. That twat's even more insufferable than Danny Forrester, who I at least take pity on for being such an enormous pussy. Les just hams it up, despite his show trying to have all the gravitas of a State of the Union speech.

:psyduck:

How anyone can accuse Les of hamming it up and praise Bear in the same paragraph is beyond me, but in this day and age of "I don't care if it's fake as long as it's EXCITING!" I guess it's not so surprising.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

So, was last night it for Storm Chasers?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Teek posted:

Anyone else catch the waterheater Mythbusters tonight? drat. That's about all I can say, I figured they'd blow, but not to that extent.
I started laughing uncontrollably when it lit off, and I couldn't stop for almost a minute.

That was AWESOME.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

That said, I'll be surprised if MB ever do anything terribly special. Their new eps seem to get played on a completely random schedule. And they don't have anywhere near the promotion that Dirty Jobs gets. I mean, Rowe loving deserves every bit of success, but I feel kind of bad for Mythbusters sometimes.

For the longest time, before DJ became anything noteworthy, MythBusters was 95% of the Discovery daily TV schedule. This is just what Discovery does: when something becomes popular, they flood the channel with it.

I think when MythBusters hits a milestone, they'll be rewarded with a special show. It's just Mike Rowe's time to be in the spotlight.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Free Market Gravy posted:

For the longest time, before DJ became anything noteworthy, MythBusters was 95% of the Discovery daily TV schedule. This is just what Discovery does: when something becomes popular, they flood the channel with it.

I think when MythBusters hits a milestone, they'll be rewarded with a special show. It's just Mike Rowe's time to be in the spotlight.

Yeah but he is everywhere. And I've seen more mention and ads for DJ than I have ever seen for Mythbusters (Subway and bus ads like crazy!)

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I think Mythbusters is a good show and has lots of geek appeal but Dirty Jobs has that American Chopperesque level of broad male demographic appeal and, I suspect, outperforms Mythbusters for views and advertising.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger
I still like Mythbusters, but sometimes Discovery will slip in a 2003 era episode where it's just Jamie and Adam doing myths without any wacky random Build Team hijinks, and it's just so much better :(

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Ape Agitator posted:

I think Mythbusters is a good show and has lots of geek appeal but Dirty Jobs has that American Chopperesque level of broad male demographic appeal and, I suspect, outperforms Mythbusters for views and advertising.

That's exactly it. Dirty Jobs is going to appeal to a broader audience because Mythbusters is an educational show with an entertainment aspect to it in a 70/30 ratio I'd say. The main draw outside of the educational aspect is watching stuff blow up or be destroyed and Kari for the "geek girl" aspect.

Dirty Jobs trades it for I'd say a 40/60 education to entertainment ratio and Mike Rowe is a far more accessible host than Jamie, Adam or anyone on Mythbusters. On top of that, there's probably more of a connection to DJ for most people because almost everyone knows a garbage man or a construction worker or someone with a dirty job.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I just watched Man vs. Wild and they're definitely doing things slightly differently this time. Bear mentions the crew several times and once you see them actually hand him a camera.

There was also a scene where they "find" a cobra and in the voiceover, Bear explains that encountering one is pretty rare and this one was brought in to show people what to do. I thought that was pretty good - they could have very easily left that out and people who don't know any different (like me) would think the place is swimming with cobras.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Oh god I really hate the camera work on the new season of Man vs Wild. It's a bunch of zoomed in shots constantly changing focus garbage. Almost as if it was filmed by a 10 year old using Dad's camera for the first time having too much fun with the zoom button. Watching the show is actually making me motion sick.

I hope they make another season of Survivor Man soon.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

When did the new season of Man v Wild start up?

danifestmestny
Jun 11, 2003

Lincecum, Cain, and pray for rain
Any idea if the re-air of Planet Earth will still feature Sigourney Weaver? I missed it the first time around but over the summer finally moved into a place with cable so I was able to watch plenty of the Attenborough-narrated Blue Planet which was amazing. I'm really looking forward to see Planet Earth and Fearless Planet after that.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

IRQ posted:

When did the new season of Man v Wild start up?
Last Friday at 9 - I actually thought it was an old episode (The Sahara), but it turns out I was remembering the Survivorman episode.

It's actually a two-parter., next week's episode looks pretty cool/disgusting. The preview clip showed him in a gutted camel, first pulling something green out of the body cavity and squeezing the liquid out of it to drink, then climbing inside the gutted carcass to get out of the sun

I'm going to make sure to watch it on an empty stomach.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Goodness, Kari looks absurdly lovely in HD tonight, as did that flipping school bus

Edit: HOLY gently caress

J33uk fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 15, 2007

Demented Footstool
Jan 3, 2007

Do Not Summon The Fire

J33uk posted:

Goodness, Kari looks absurdly lovely in HD tonight, as did that flipping school bus

Edit: HOLY gently caress

I was hoping the ending would have been better if that's what you're referring to.

Also, who do you get service though? I'd love to get Discovery in HD. The notice at the beginning seem to be there just to tease me.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

Turtle Repairman posted:

I still like Mythbusters, but sometimes Discovery will slip in a 2003 era episode where it's just Jamie and Adam doing myths without any wacky random Build Team hijinks, and it's just so much better :(

I don't know, I think the last two episodes have been the height of the series. The water heater rocket was probably the best experiment I've seen them do, and tonights episode was fantastic as well. I like the show more now than I did back in the early days, but that's mostly because the tension between Jamie and Adam seems to have finally gone away. I always felt uncomfortable watching the first few seasons because you can tell the two didn't exactly get along.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one
I really wanted to see that car fly!

ReverendFitty
May 21, 2007

I think its cool that they finally showed a total failure. It good to see that these guys actually cant do anything. I just wish it was with a different one, i wanted to see that car go into the mountain. But hey, at least we got to see hot Kari, and the return of Scotty

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
The ending was a failure, but that was a beautiful explosion and the flaming carnage making a couple dozen yards off the ramp made for a wonderful replay.

This was a pretty awesome episode in retrospect. The bus actually getting off the ground, the eerie dolphin simulator seeming to work, and Tori somehow staying upright to board behind the cruise ship. Oh, and spontaneous Scotty appearance!

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Ape Agitator posted:

The ending was a failure, but that was a beautiful explosion and the flaming carnage making a couple dozen yards off the ramp made for a wonderful replay.
I :laffo:ed when Jamie said, "The rocket car SUCKED when it blew up."

I also laughed at "someone owes me $10,000" after the rocket went up.

danifestmestny
Jun 11, 2003

Lincecum, Cain, and pray for rain
Comcast redid the HD lineup here. I now have Discovery HD! :woop: I caught a Planet Earth repeat last night and it was beautifuller than anything. Can't wait to see all the new episodes this coming week in HD for the first time.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

LordOfThePants posted:

Last Friday at 9 - I actually thought it was an old episode (The Sahara), but it turns out I was remembering the Survivorman episode.

It's actually a two-parter., next week's episode looks pretty cool/disgusting. The preview clip showed him in a gutted camel, first pulling something green out of the body cavity and squeezing the liquid out of it to drink, then climbing inside the gutted carcass to get out of the sun

I'm going to make sure to watch it on an empty stomach.

I like how Man vs Wild has officially given up the pretext of it being Bear on his own now. Not only did he get help from the locals, but he then crossed "20 to 30 miles" of saltpans and scaled 2 loving huge cliffs and stumbled upon the one waterfall the whole of the Sahara all before the sun was even close to setting.

Plus the rope and harness were pretty clear in 2 or 3 shots.

Don't get me wrong it's a fantastic show, it's just that he's sort of admitting he is not in any way taking these situations on by himself any more. Before it was "I need to build a huge raft out of bamboo I'm chopping down with a knife and I can do it in one evening by myself" and now it's "Oh these convenient helicopter shots of me standing above the cliff and a then we're at the bottom!"

Dr. Memory
Jul 10, 2001

Ah, fuck the end of the world.

anotherone posted:

I really wanted to see that car fly!

So did I. I was rooting for it the same way I hoped that giant ducted-fan flying thing they built a while back would lift off.

Demented Footstool
Jan 3, 2007

Do Not Summon The Fire

danifestmestny posted:

Comcast redid the HD lineup here. I now have Discovery HD! :woop: I caught a Planet Earth repeat last night and it was beautifuller than anything. Can't wait to see all the new episodes this coming week in HD for the first time.

I'll have to see if we get it then. I'd love to see the episodes in HD.

Loving Leader
Sep 17, 2004

HOT PIE COMIN THROUGH
That episode reminded me of when Top Gear tried their own Rocket Car. http://youtube.com/watch?v=XTFU4eI5IRA

Loving Leader fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 19, 2007

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.
Is this "Everest" show worth watching, overall? I've seen it in the lineups a few times, but never really watched much of it. The whole Everest thing is pretty interesting to me, but from what I saw of the show, it seemed kind of drawn out and slow-paced.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Butthole Prince posted:

Is this "Everest" show worth watching, overall? I've seen it in the lineups a few times, but never really watched much of it. The whole Everest thing is pretty interesting to me, but from what I saw of the show, it seemed kind of drawn out and slow-paced.

I think it's a very boring show. I've seen it and it's so boring that I don't even remember any specifics of the episode. I think it's because I don't feel like I'm learning anything when I'm watching it. However, Everest is not interesting to me so that may have something to do with it.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Butthole Prince posted:

The first season was pretty interesting - however I missed the start of this season and have only seen about 10 minutes of one episode. I'm waiting for a marathon to catch them all. Check out the first season if they ever re-air it, it looked like at least one of the climbers was re-attempting it for the second season.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Butthole Prince posted:

The first season snuck up on me and became incredibly interesting by the end. It was probably because it ended in such tragedy. Deaths, near universal frostbite and limb loss, failures to summit, hardship all the way. If it didn't have that kind of ending, I can't see how it would be quite as compelling.

Unfortunately, it was kind of a perfect season so it's hard to get interested in a second season.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I'm digging the new style of Man vs wild. He looks like he's trying to keep it more "real" and realistic. Also 2 episode adventures are awesome.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

TLG James posted:

I'm digging the new style of Man vs wild. He looks like he's trying to keep it more "real" and realistic. Also 2 episode adventures are awesome.

Yeah, where before it always felt a bit staged and such, now he's basically acknowledging that not only is he getting help but that he's doing the stupid stuff on purpose for educational purposes. and he hasn't laid off on the eating gross stuff/urine use at all.

I think they handled the "scandal" quite well, though it didn't bother me at all in the first place.

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.

LordOfThePants posted:

Check out the first season if they ever re-air it, it looked like at least one of the climbers was re-attempting it for the second season.

I set my DVR to record all episodes whenever it airs, but it seems like it isn't on that much, leading me to believe that it's probably not repeated that often. Like was said, though, hopefully they'll do a marathon sometime soon like they've been doing with "MythBusters", "Survivorman", and "Man vs. Wild", particularly on weekends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesus H. Megaman
Jul 3, 2004

It is NEVER too early to think about scotch. THE SUPERBOWL
I have Everest set up on my DVR and watch it each week (I think it comes on Tuesdays). It's actually a really interesting show. The first few episodes get you to the point of liking the people involved and the rest have you wondering if they're going to die on the mountain. It's incredible to watch someone apathetically die because oxygen deprivation is taking its toll.

If you plan on watching a marathon have your remote handy for fast forwarding. There's a woman in the first few episodes that looks like Willem DaFoe...without makeup.

:barf:

• Locked thread