Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RaulDuke
Aug 14, 2002
I have been running Ubuntu for quite some time now and really like it, so I decided to play around and try to get my media machine (currently running XP and GBPVR) to run on Mythbuntu. The problem is that I have an Asus 8200 which is the Asus version of the TI200 Geforce 3 (old I know).

I could not get the TV out to work, this is not a surprise, since it does not work with the Nvidia drivers under XP, however I can get the TV out to work with the Asus driver, I cannot find an Asus driver for Linux. Do I have any hope of getting the TV out to work under Mythbuntu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge
I've replaced the crappy Nvidia Quadrofx550 in my workstation with an ATI Radeon x850XT PE that someone in the office had spare.

I now have xinerama working with fglrx across my 1440x900 and 1680x1050 screens. DRI however fails to load. I'm led to believe by some Googling that 3d acceleration with FGLRX is not possible with a Xinerama config that uses differing resolutions.

Does anyone know of a workaround?

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

teapot posted:

They probably use some ActiveX control, so it definitely needs IE, but may or may not run properly in Wine. Install ies4linux and see it it will work.

I'm pretty sure they use Windows Media Player (with DRM) for their videos, so getting it working in Wine will be close to impossible.

m3jsh
Sep 4, 2004
The EverFag
I am currently running debian on my fileserver. I want to install tranmission for use with torrentflux. However, the default debian repositories have a dated build of it. I haven't been able to find a repository with the latest version (0.9.3).

I would like to compile and install it myself. I used this guide. However this didn't seem to work as I get a whole slew of errors trying to run transmission (not to mention autogen.sh does not exist in the latest source.)

I have two quesitons, how can I cleanly get rid of the screwed up install I just made and how can I properly compile/install this and any other source package I want?

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

m3jsh posted:

I am currently running debian on my fileserver. I want to install tranmission for use with torrentflux. However, the default debian repositories have a dated build of it. I haven't been able to find a repository with the latest version (0.9.3).

I would like to compile and install it myself. I used this guide. However this didn't seem to work as I get a whole slew of errors trying to run transmission (not to mention autogen.sh does not exist in the latest source.)

I have two quesitons, how can I cleanly get rid of the screwed up install I just made and how can I properly compile/install this and any other source package I want?
"make uninstall" should do clean it up.

Also, there seems to be a package for this -- http://packages.debian.org/sid/transmission. It's in sid (unstable), but you should be able to get just that package and install it.

m3jsh
Sep 4, 2004
The EverFag
If I want to add an unstable repository do I need to comment out my regular repositories?

Also if anyone knows of a good tutorial in compiling/installing my own programs that'd be appreciated too.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

m3jsh posted:

If I want to add an unstable repository do I need to comment out my regular repositories?

Also if anyone knows of a good tutorial in compiling/installing my own programs that'd be appreciated too.

I would just grab the deb files--
http://packages.debian.org/sid/transmission/all/download
http://packages.debian.org/sid/transmission-gtk/i386/download
http://packages.debian.org/sid/transmission-cli/i386/download

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

m3jsh posted:

'apt-get build-dep transmisstion' might help for the build

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Ericcorp posted:

Ok. I'll researching adding HID devices to my system.

In regards to the Windows copying. Even though it's running of off a RAID0 array, I can copy the entire contents of that drive over to a new drive, and then windows will still be bootable from the new drive?
I don't know, I would recommend to install Windows on a new drive and copy all data from the array to it.

quote:

The end result is that I will free up the two SATA drives, so I can run them in a RAID1 array. I don't know how to do that with out really screwing up the boot record.
If you put them into RAID1 array you will have to re-format them anyway.

quote:

And editing the GRUB, you said not to do that, unless it's a fresh install, right?
No, why? I have said that reinstalling the system is a bad idea if all you need is changing boot configuration.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

teapot posted:

I don't know, I would recommend to install Windows on a new drive and copy all data from the array to it.

If you put them into RAID1 array you will have to re-format them anyway.

No, why? I have said that reinstalling the system is a bad idea if all you need is changing boot configuration.

I played around with the GRUB file. Menu.1st of whatever it's called. I figured out how to add a windows entry to it, but I can't figure out how to get it to recognize the RAID0 (it's a striped array). I made an entry so it's boots from hd(2,0) (the SATA drives are sda and sdb, named hd2 and hd3). But of course that didn't work. I don't know what to enter.

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
On Xorg desktops I've noticed that in general, quickly scrolling text (in a gnome-terminal window) will cause Xorg to hit the CPU pretty hard. The system that I'm currently seeing this on is a FreeBSD 7.0-PRERELEASE system running GNOME, but I've seen it on Debian/Ubuntu as well. Is there a workaround for this (other than minimizing the window in question and using screen), or is it just something that I'll have to put up with?

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Silvyn posted:

On Xorg desktops I've noticed that in general, quickly scrolling text (in a gnome-terminal window) will cause Xorg to hit the CPU pretty hard. The system that I'm currently seeing this on is a FreeBSD 7.0-PRERELEASE system running GNOME, but I've seen it on Debian/Ubuntu as well. Is there a workaround for this (other than minimizing the window in question and using screen), or is it just something that I'll have to put up with?

maybe fontconfig using unacclerated XRENDER? Can probably test with xterm -fn fixed vs xterm -fa fixed

Paulness
Dec 22, 2002
a strange day.
Will onboard(intel)graphics on laptops work for wine/cedega?

Im thinking of getting a laptop, I have two choices. One has an nvidia 8400 the other has an intel gma x3100. Now of course im going to try to get the one that has nvidia card, but there is a chance it will no longer be available once I get my funds together.

Can the board intel x3100 video work in wine/cedega? Mainly to play warcraft 3 and a few other games...

ian
Aug 12, 2003
I never noticed this problem in Windows but since converting this machine to Ubuntu the dvd-rom/cdrw drive has been giving me this problem:

quote:

[ 9211.816000] sr: Sense Key : Hardware Error [current]
[ 9211.816000] sr: Add. Sense: Focus servo failure
[ 9213.816000] sr0: CDROM (ioctl) error, command: Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00 00

It blinks constantly and won't read any media.
Probably solely hardware -- nothing I can do software side, right?

fstab says this

quote:

/dev/cdrom /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0

Shazzner
Feb 9, 2004

HAPPY GAMES ONLY

Quick question: I want to switch my laptop to ubuntu for first time. I have an HP nx7000 and reading that laptoplinux site looks like it should work no problem, except for the built in wireless that is. Can anyone post a link to newegg for a cheap pcmcia wireless card that works with wpa under the latest ubuntu?

Shazzner fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 16, 2007

Joss Laypeg
Oct 11, 2007
A psychotic is a guy who's just found out what's going on. - WSB

RaulDuke posted:

I could not get the TV out to work, this is not a surprise, since it does not work with the Nvidia drivers under XP, however I can get the TV out to work with the Asus driver, I cannot find an Asus driver for Linux. Do I have any hope of getting the TV out to work under Mythbuntu?

Well, you're not going to find an Asus driver for Linux. It's the Nvidia driver only.

I'd recommend trying nvtv - it's a little app with support for the different TV-Out encoder chips you find on various Nvidia cards. You'll probably have to build it from source. I should warn you that it's not the easiest app in the world to get your head round, but you can probably ignore 90% of the settings.

I assume that the nvidia-settings app doesn't recognise the TV-Out? I've had better results with that than anything else.

PS. On most Nvidia cards, if you boot the system with only a TV connected and no monitor the card will use the TV by default. Don't know whether that's of any use to you or not.

Joss Laypeg fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 16, 2007

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Ericcorp posted:

I played around with the GRUB file. Menu.1st of whatever it's called.
It's not "Menu.1st of whatever it's called". It's "menu.lst", all lowercase, no digits in the name, located in /boot/grub directory while /boot is mounted (if /boot is on a separate partition).

quote:

I figured out how to add a windows entry to it, but I can't figure out how to get it to recognize the RAID0 (it's a striped array). I made an entry so it's boots from hd(2,0)

hd(2,0) is not a valid syntax. (hd2,0) is -- for the THIRD hard drive.

quote:

(the SATA drives are sda and sdb, named hd2 and hd3). But of course that didn't work. I don't know what to enter.

Most likely it's (hd1,0), but may be (hd2,0) or even (hd0,0) -- GRUB uses BIOS device numbers, and they may or may not be the same as numbers of devices in Linux.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Paulness posted:

Will onboard(intel)graphics on laptops work for wine/cedega?

Im thinking of getting a laptop, I have two choices. One has an nvidia 8400 the other has an intel gma x3100. Now of course im going to try to get the one that has nvidia card, but there is a chance it will no longer be available once I get my funds together.

Can the board intel x3100 video work in wine/cedega? Mainly to play warcraft 3 and a few other games...

Apparently it works, however 3D performance is hardly stellar.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Marinmo posted:

Sorry, I don't have gnome handy here (server is headless and I don't care for X forwarding), but perhaps ~/.xsession-errors might be able to tell you something.
So something like:
less ~/.xsession-errors
and scroll through the eventual errors until you find one that seems applicable. But as I said, teapot might be able to help you more than I do. Hopefully he'll see this post and correct me. :)

This didn't seem to return anything (still). Please, someone, help me with the mystery of the disappearing background!

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
A while back I asked about the memory usage of my Debian box. Someone responded, telling me that it's normal for Linux to eat fairly large amounts of ram in a 'precache' like act. I accepted this and passed it off, seeing I had larger issues. Well my system is still eating up 2 gigs of memory, solid, even as far as to have 150kb of swap space used. This does not look like precache, this looks loving crazy. Is there something I can disable to free up a little bit of that 2gig block? How many of the 92 processes (omg) should I be running for regular desktop operation?

N.E.: Looks like I only use ~200 megs at startup. After I've run a few applications, it hovers at the two gig mark.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Jo posted:

A while back I asked about the memory usage of my Debian box. Someone responded, telling me that it's normal for Linux to eat fairly large amounts of ram in a 'precache' like act. I accepted this and passed it off, seeing I had larger issues. Well my system is still eating up 2 gigs of memory, solid, even as far as to have 150kb of swap space used. This does not look like precache, this looks loving crazy. Is there something I can disable to free up a little bit of that 2gig block? How many of the 92 processes (omg) should I be running for regular desktop operation?

N.E.: Looks like I only use ~200 megs at startup. After I've run a few applications, it hovers at the two gig mark.

What's the output of "free"?

The cache gets dropped very quickly when stuff needs more memory, so really, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. It speeds up disk reads (cached disk reads go at ~700MB/s)

But it you really want to clear that cache (along with buffers), "echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches".

(What does N.E. mean?)

Scaevolus fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 17, 2007

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Jo posted:

92 processes (omg)

HAH, 92, weak.

code:
$ ps aux | wc -l
Only using 1GB or so too.

code:
$ free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:       2075560    2012288      63272          0     192960     713452
-/+ buffers/cache:    1105876     969684
Swap:      2241028      58032    2182996
most of that is firefox :cry:
code:
deimos   12349  2.8 21.3 581564 442960 ?       SLl  Nov13 144:12 /usr/lib/firefox/firefox-bin
yes, that's a three day old firefox :monocle:

edit:
After restarting firefox and pidgin:
code:
$ free
Mem:       2075560    1411368     664192          0     194560     721968
-/+ buffers/cache:     494840    1580720
Swap:      2241028      58032    2182996
I get the feeling you just don't know how to read the output of ps and free

If you're really paranoid of that huge amount of stuff you have swapped run:
code:
echo 20 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
That'll make stuff less swappy.

deimos fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 17, 2007

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

Jo posted:

It's totally normal. The buffers and cache fills pretty much all available RAM, and that space is reclaimed when applications allocate memory.

Windows Vista does this now too - and I think it's touted as a revolutionary new feature :)

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

deimos posted:

I get the feeling you just don't know how to read the output of ps and free

I thought I did. :( It just didn't seem normal to see so much taken up.

If I'm connected via ssh I use pa (aliased to `ps aux`) and free. Otherwise I'll fire up KDE system guard and look at the pretty graphs. :downs:

Scaevolus posted:

(What does N.E. mean?)

Ninja Edit.

Jo fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 17, 2007

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

Jo posted:

I thought I did. :( It just didn't seem normal to see so much taken up.

If I'm connected via ssh I use pa (aliased to `ps aux`) and free. Otherwise I'll fire up KDE system guard and look at the pretty graphs. :downs:
The first two lines of the free output shows the memory used, and then the memory used with the buffers and cache removed from the totals. I don't know if the KDE tool lets you adjust for that.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Jo posted:

I'd like to think I do. It just didn't seem normal to see so much taken up.

alright, quick runthrough:
code:
$ free -m
Mem:          2026       1409        616          0        191        715
-/+ buffers/cache:        502       1524
Swap:         2188         56       2131

I have 2 GB on this machine (it reports slightly less because it doesn't report some that is taken by the kernel), 1409MB is what I am using including buffers (file and otherwise), the 616MB is completely unallocated memory.

The -/+ buffers/cache line is the important one, means that it's the actual numbers without taking caches into account, so my programs are using 502MB and I have 1524MB free, but 715 is allocated in caches and 191 in file (file is misgiving, because the linux kernel treats pretty much everything like a filesystem) buffers.

Swap is self explanatory.

deimos fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 17, 2007

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Ooooh!
I completely overlooked the +/- buffer line.
It's lucid as water now. Thank you.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Does anyone have any experience with Arch linux? I want to set it up as a personal dev server (git, lighty or apache, django (svn), couchdb, postgre) to play around with some of the bleeding edge stuff out there like couchdb, but need it to be less compile-intensive than gentoo because it'll sit on a VPS. Is Arch good/stable enough for this?

I don't need it to be 100% stable but good enough that an update won't cripple my system, I know this is always a risk with rolling release distros.

m3jsh
Sep 4, 2004
The EverFag
Are there any webgui torrent clients that are less buggy than torrentflux/torrentflux-b4rt? rTorrent really isn't for me. Also, I'm running debian on a headless fileserver.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

m3jsh posted:

Are there any webgui torrent clients that are less buggy than torrentflux/torrentflux-b4rt? rTorrent really isn't for me. Also, I'm running debian on a headless fileserver.

http://mldonkey.sourceforge.net/ or http://btg.berlios.de/

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
I've got an Arch Linux box set up right now with Samba to serve as a file server. It has 2 NICs so I was considering turning the box into a gateway. The secondary reason for doing this is to learn a bit more about Linux/*NIX administration in general.

One thing I was thinking of specifically in this context was that my clients (my desktop and my laptop) are both running Windows. Is there some kind of antivirus I can run on my Linux box that'll help fight off some of the virus crap and such out there?

Alowishus
Jan 8, 2002

My name is Mud

Sergeant Hobo posted:

One thing I was thinking of specifically in this context was that my clients (my desktop and my laptop) are both running Windows. Is there some kind of antivirus I can run on my Linux box that'll help fight off some of the virus crap and such out there?
ClamAV is your antivirus answer on Linux. But the question is how do you want it to protect your Windows boxes?

You could simply run a ClamAV scan of your shared drives every night in cron. If you want to get fancier, there is the vscan-clamav plugin for Samba that will run all traffic through a scan before serving it to or accepting it from your Windows boxes. If you want to be safe browsing and downloading, you could look into setting up a Squid proxy that runs web traffic through ClamAV as well.

Hope those are some ideas to get you started. :)

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

quote:

If you want to be safe browsing and downloading, you could look into setting up a Squid proxy that runs web traffic through ClamAV as well.

I was looking at it more in this way (safer browsing and downloading). I was also looking into running Squid on this box as well so this seems logical. It also sounds like there is no reason why I wouldn't want to run that Samba plug-in you mentioned anyways so I'll look into that as well.

I'm doing this in phases. First up will be basic DHCP serving and NAT stuff. If I can get that going, I'll get Squid, ClamAV and such set up. Somewhere in there, I will also be attempting (keyword there) to set up IPTables. Right now, that seems a little overwhelming but I'm sure I'll get it.

Thanks again for pointing me to ClamAV.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

deimos posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Arch linux? I want to set it up as a personal dev server (git, lighty or apache, django (svn), couchdb, postgre) to play around with some of the bleeding edge stuff out there like couchdb, but need it to be less compile-intensive than gentoo because it'll sit on a VPS. Is Arch good/stable enough for this?

I don't need it to be 100% stable but good enough that an update won't cripple my system, I know this is always a risk with rolling release distros.

Until recently I used Arch almost exclusively, and it's still installed on my development server. It's a great distro - I tend to market it as being equal parts Gentoo, Debian and Slackware: speedy like Gentoo as it's compiled for i686+, decent binary-based package management like Debian, and stripped-down/no-nonsense like Slackware. It's about as close as you can get to a distro with pure "vanilla" upstream software, but which also has decent package management.

The only reason I'm not continuing to use it everywhere is that I switched jobs a few months ago and they're big on Debian/Ubuntu, and I was able to get the position as half developer and half sysadmin. While Arch is plenty stable and well put together, it's not as mature as Debian, and I wasn't about to try and push for it over Debian-based stuff for mission-critical systems.

So, end result: yes, it's superb for personal stuff, very easy to set up and use compared to Gentoo (one specific thing I love about it is it's super easy to make your own packages or modify existing ones, compared with making Debian or Gentoo packages) and just about as cutting-edge in terms of software versions.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Ok, speccing out a new laptop: Is Intel Turbo Memory ("robson") supported in Linux? I don't mean the Vista prefetching stuff, just if I can see it like any other block device. Anyone have one and stick /boot on it or use it as swap? Is it worth the couple extra dollars?

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

quote:

Until recently I used Arch almost exclusively, and it's still installed on my development server. It's a great distro - I tend to market it as being equal parts Gentoo, Debian and Slackware: speedy like Gentoo as it's compiled for i686+, decent binary-based package management like Debian, and stripped-down/no-nonsense like Slackware. It's about as close as you can get to a distro with pure "vanilla" upstream software, but which also has decent package management.

These are pretty much my reasons for coming to Arch as well. I was using Slackware for a while and it was nice but packages were kind of a pain. I did use that Swaret script and it was good but doesn't really feel as good as a full-blown package manager like Pacman.

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer
Hmmm regards my mdadm array that was having issues with all the drives being confused as to what had failed and not I did a mdadm --assemble --run --force --update=resync /dev/md0 /dev/sda /dev/sdb /dev/sdc /dev/sdd /dev/sde and it seemed to do the trick and rebuild it so now everything is happy when you examine/query it but now I can't mount it and it says the following when mounting:
code:
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/md0,
       missing codepage or helper program, or other error
       In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
       dmesg | tail  or so
Have I gone and hosed everything?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I'm using the latest Ubuntu and working on a web project for school. I am using sshfs to mount the folder on my hosting to my /home folder. I use Quanta Plus as my editor.

So my problem is, that Ubuntu likes to create backup files when I save a file. This is normally not a problem. However, when I save a (for example) a .rhtml file and it gets updated to my hosting, it also saves the ~backup to my hosting as well. I'd rather not have my folders be cluttered up with backup files on my hosting.

Is there a way to turn this feature off to save myself the headache of manually deleting backup files?

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Soggy Chips posted:

Hmmm regards my mdadm array that was having issues with all the drives being confused as to what had failed and not I did a mdadm --assemble --run --force --update=resync /dev/md0 /dev/sda /dev/sdb /dev/sdc /dev/sdd /dev/sde and it seemed to do the trick and rebuild it so now everything is happy when you examine/query it but now I can't mount it and it says the following when mounting:
code:
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/md0,
       missing codepage or helper program, or other error
       In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
       dmesg | tail  or so
Have I gone and hosed everything?

Just like mdadm says, check dmesg output -- it will show the actual error. Most likely you have partitions on your drive (and they are supposed to be recognized when the device is detected), so it will be /dev/md0p<something>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

poemdexter posted:

I'm using the latest Ubuntu and working on a web project for school. I am using sshfs to mount the folder on my hosting to my /home folder. I use Quanta Plus as my editor.

So my problem is, that Ubuntu likes to create backup files when I save a file. This is normally not a problem. However, when I save a (for example) a .rhtml file and it gets updated to my hosting, it also saves the ~backup to my hosting as well. I'd rather not have my folders be cluttered up with backup files on my hosting.

Is there a way to turn this feature off to save myself the headache of manually deleting backup files?

It's in Quanta preferences.