Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Agreed posted:

Aren't most phantom jacks like 48V?

I want MASSIVE headroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

82Daion posted:

Speakon as a guitar connection would be a bad idea, mostly because guitars don't output 500-1000W of signal power, and also because the cables are huge and heavy. If you're after a locking jack for your guitar or bass, Neutrik makes one.

The real benefit of a balanced out (XLR or TRS) is that it allows you to run great lengths of cable without signal loss and noise, which isn't something most players need. Plus, to achieve the benefits of a balanced connection, which is what you typically use XLR for, you'd need to make sure your guitar and amp had their output and input impedances matched, which would be difficult to do given the great variety of both out there.

The reason the Alembic uses an XLR connector (and a 5-pin one at that) is that it not only puts out an unbalanced stereo signal, but also has an external power supply which runs power to the electronics through the cable. So, you have 2 pins running bass signal, 2 pins running power, and a ground. There's a special cable you have to use with the bass that plugs into this box:

which allows you to split the signal to 2 amps, if that's your preference, and which provides power to the bass. The box plugs into the wall.

Didn't Phil Lesh do this w/ his Alembic but through 4 amps? 2 for each Pickup? Or is that just a myth?

Ghostpilots
Sep 24, 2004

Vigilant Sidekick

3toes posted:

Didn't Phil Lesh do this w/ his Alembic but through 4 amps? 2 for each Pickup? Or is that just a myth?

I seem to recall something like that too, only he had somehow split each individual string output to their own amp. Could just be some urban myth though.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I just bought these:

The incredibly hard to find Moogerfooger EP-2 Expression Pedal for my LAL Cyber Psychic.

A bakelite Esquire pickguard. I have no use for a neck pickup in half my guitars, and it turns out a Telecaster without a neck pickup is actually a valid option! I might do this with my Jaguar later on.

Now I'm trying to find a good deal on some NOS caps for the Esquire mod...

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Oh my god the amount of cool poo poo I see in just that picture is unbelievable. I'm jealous.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

Agreed posted:

Aren't most phantom jacks like 48V?

poo poo, you're right. Let's just build it into amps then, a new kind of proprietary power along the same lines as phantom but the proper voltage for active pickups.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

3toes posted:

Yes.

He had a pickup on "Big Brown" and "Mission Control" that had 4 coils, 1 for each string. During the "Wall of Sound" era, Phil's setup allowed him to pan each string to different places in the Wall.

Crazy, but cool.

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

Krank Rev Jr. Half Stack. I had been thinking about what new amp I wanted to get and kept flip-flopping between this, a THD Univalve, and a few other amps. I wanted something that was low-power (20W or less), all-tube, and could scream overdriven murder without any pedals. I am very happy with my choice. This little guy packs quite a bit of a punch, can get loud enough for practice, has very good versatility, can get good tone at lower volumes (of course, like any tube amp, it sounds best at high volumes), and it can sound pretty loving mean just by cranking it up. Its clean channel is really nice, too. It really does sound like its big brother. Plus, all together, it's about $300-400 less than a THD Univalve halfstack would have run me if I got a good deal off eBay. I'm kind of ambivalent about its cartoony look, though. I think I'm just not used to it, because it's starting to grow on me.

glennnyc
Sep 20, 2001

quote:

I've wanted one of these for so long. It's more of a long term "I'll get it when I find the one I want" type of purchase, but half the fun is in the hunt :) I really want to find one in tobacco burst.

I finally got one about 2 years ago (from a dad's friend who lives in Kalamazoo, it has been sitting in his basement since the 70's) and it's tops! My first fretted bass, the only one I've really ever wanted. I'll post pics if you'd like, though I have before somewhere.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

Dragon Eye Morrison posted:

Krank Rev Jr. Half Stack. I had been thinking about what new amp I wanted to get and kept flip-flopping between this, a THD Univalve, and a few other amps. I wanted something that was low-power (20W or less), all-tube, and could scream overdriven murder without any pedals. I am very happy with my choice. This little guy packs quite a bit of a punch, can get loud enough for practice, has very good versatility, can get good tone at lower volumes (of course, like any tube amp, it sounds best at high volumes), and it can sound pretty loving mean just by cranking it up. Its clean channel is really nice, too. It really does sound like its big brother. Plus, all together, it's about $300-400 less than a THD Univalve halfstack would have run me if I got a good deal off eBay. I'm kind of ambivalent about its cartoony look, though. I think I'm just not used to it, because it's starting to grow on me.

What's the speaker size on that?

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Engine Fortegue posted:

What's the speaker size on that?

It is a single 12" Eminence V12 Legend speaker. I assume it is an Eminence V12 Legend since that is what they use in the Revolution cabs and this amp is just a mini version of that (it's a mini-half stack).

Evil the Cat
Oct 18, 2001

make that shit sound like rock music!
edit: wrong thread sorry

Evil the Cat fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 20, 2007

help i am on fire
Nov 3, 2005

Do not eat the DJ!

glennnyc posted:

I finally got one about 2 years ago (from a dad's friend who lives in Kalamazoo, it has been sitting in his basement since the 70's) and it's tops! My first fretted bass, the only one I've really ever wanted. I'll post pics if you'd like, though I have before somewhere.

Please share the pictures! I love the hell out of those old Gibson basses. The giant boat oar design combined with the awesome clang you can get out of them make me want to buy an army of them and use nothing but them. I really want my next bass to be a 5 string, Lakland if at all possible, but I don't think I could ever say no to a Ripper.

Before I knew anything about basses or the kind of sound I wanted I once found a G-3 in Sam Ash. I hated how flat the fretboard was, but even then I liked the tone. I was just too dumb to fully see how awesome they were.

Daughter
Jul 23, 2007

help i am on fire posted:

That is a nice looking bass collection. I've never played an Alembic though. How do they sound?

Also, one of these will be my next toy, depending on how much money I have in the music fund after I sell some things.

The Garagemaster guitars are awesome, and they're going on eBay for just a couple hundred dollars.

I've wanted one of these for so long. It's more of a long term "I'll get it when I find the one I want" type of purchase, but half the fun is in the hunt :) I really want to find one in tobacco burst.

god drat those rippers are the coolest. i was a mere minutes away from scoring one from craigslist for 75 DOLLARS because the old lady said it had electrical problems. those are the kind of finds you dream about and mine was shattered.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

Doesn't Dethklok use Krank amps?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Dragon Eye Morrison posted:

Krank Rev Jr. Half Stack
Where did you get that?

Engine Fortegue posted:

Doesn't Dethklok use Krank amps?

Yep. The credits also show endorsements from Gibson as well.

Full Collapse fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 21, 2007

WET BUTT
Mar 11, 2005

Someone cancel Thanksgiving so this arrives sooner

juan chaos
Sep 3, 2006
Let It Die

WET BUTT posted:

Someone cancel Thanksgiving so this arrives sooner

I'm a crazy maniac when it comes to buying new pedals but you're making me feel moderately restrained. Although I have 3 pedals in the mail right now.

WET BUTT
Mar 11, 2005

juan chaos posted:

I'm a crazy maniac when it comes to buying new pedals but you're making me feel moderately restrained. Although I have 3 pedals in the mail right now.

Hahaha. I'm selling all sorts of stuff so I've been buying new ones. God bless boxes full of wires.

MrWeight
Dec 9, 2006

by Ozma
It always looks like the alembic bass strings are welded right onto the bridge. Are they?

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000

MrWeight posted:

It always looks like the alembic bass strings are welded right onto the bridge. Are they?

Golly no, that is an awful idea

I think they're string-thru.

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Minto Took posted:

Where did you get that?

Musician's Friend. I played it at Guitar Center, but I have the MF credit card which gives me that No Interest For 12 months deal, so I took advantage of that.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

PenguinBob posted:

Golly no, that is an awful idea

I think they're string-thru.

Looks like a wrap-around tailpiece.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

squidgee posted:

Oh my god the amount of cool poo poo I see in just that picture is unbelievable. I'm jealous.

Wait until you see the amount of cool poo poo that's going to surround it when it's actually at my place (picking it up tonight). :v:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Lovely! There's something about the JX-3p's oscillator sync that gives it a timbre that is quite unique. As you say, its a pretty underrated synth.

Obviously, you should try and get hold of a PG-200 programmer to fully unlock its realtime potential.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
It just sucks that this programmer costs more than the synth itself. 200 euros for the PG, 150 for this mint JX3P.

I've had the joy of using it though in the school band; really makes the job of adjusting sounds easier. Too bad that back then I didn't have a clue about what I was doing (well, at least the parts with the X-Mod and all that; I already learned about envelopes and filters from the Juno-60 I owned back then).

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000

3toes posted:

Looks like a wrap-around tailpiece.

ah yeah, my mistake. i'm looking at alembic's site and they all seem to be wrap-around/quick-load type tailpieces.

on a related note, this is just way too many loving knobs.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

PenguinBob posted:

ah yeah, my mistake. i'm looking at alembic's site and they all seem to be wrap-around/quick-load type tailpieces.

It has an LED brightness knob?:wtc:

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

the wizards beard posted:

It has an LED brightness knob?:wtc:

I'm pretty sure the side markers on the side of the neck are LEDs :psyduck:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

mofolotopo posted:

I just did this, although I haven't been home to play with it yet. Buy it from RivensBitch, he saved me over 10% off of the lowest retail price I found.

Just bought the Pod X3 Live. :)

I didn't get it from RB, though, because Guitar Center has this deal today for 20% off between 8-10am local time.

help i am on fire
Nov 3, 2005

Do not eat the DJ!
I don't have money, or a job, but I plan on living vicariously through everyone that posts here about their black friday buys.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

PenguinBob posted:

That's nothing. Check out Phil's old Guild that Alembic modified

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

3toes posted:

Is that a compass? :psypop:

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000

guitar center black friday fun time

it is in DIRE loving need of a setup tho.

Nog64
Aug 26, 2007

by XyloJW
I'm getting a new amp for X-mas. It's got a poo poo load of effects and is decently priced. I'm also getting a cheap new guitar, but I'm not fully decided yet (Thinking an Epiphone Les Paul).

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Unless you are 100% sure you like MGs, don't get one. Most people I know hate their MGs, and I personally played one and hated it. You should look at the Roland Cube or Vox Valvetronix, those are significantly better.

vac
Jul 10, 2005
:o

3toes posted:

Are those strings WELDED ON?

Nog64
Aug 26, 2007

by XyloJW

The Dark Wind posted:

Unless you are 100% sure you like MGs, don't get one. Most people I know hate their MGs, and I personally played one and hated it. You should look at the Roland Cube or Vox Valvetronix, those are significantly better.

I liked it at the store, so I'll probably get it if I don't like the other two.

e: Definately the Roland Cube

Nog64 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 24, 2007

Wobegon
Jan 13, 2007

by The Finn

PenguinBob posted:

Jesus christ, haven't these people ever heard of concentric control knobs? Stack those suckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc

Anyone familiar with these? I need a good solid workhorse bass, I've wasted so much money on fancy-looking-but-fragile-and-lovely instruments, and the Jaguar is SO drat SEXY...